Fan/fic/ Theater 3000 335 members · 144 stories
Comments ( 62 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 62
Ringmaster
Group Admin

Since Fallen did such a good job of writing his post I'm just going to copy-paste what he wrote.

Edit: Since so many of you are asking, you do not have to be there Saturday night, the doc will be open for comments for about two weeks after release. It will not be public, however, so you still have to post here to get the link.

For those of you who don't remember (there are probably a fair number by now), the way F/F/T3K works is pretty similar to the way my own riffs worked. Hell, the F/F/T3K format was what I based my own on, as well as RatherHomely's now tragically unpublished fic. Basically, the text of the story is laid out in the doc, unedited from its source, and the riffer goes in and inserts their own snarky commentary on the events happening in the story. The standardized format for it is such:

Story text story text story text...
Username: Witty remark that may or may not get a laugh from the audience!
More story text.

The commentary tends to range from jabs at the botched meanings of ill-constructed sentences to mocking the actions and mannerisms of the characters to lampshading the ludicrous nature of the narrative. It's all good-natured and lighthearted, and even GOOD stories are able to be riffed by one who can extract enough material from them, but let's face it, worse stories just provide more to comment on and lambast. You can look at any of the riffs linked on my userpage if you need examples, though those are almost exclusively "bad" stories.

Damn. Really says something about my lack of productivity that I feel like I need to re-explain riffing to a bunch of followers who are probably here because of it.

If you want to join in the fun on this new project, F/F/T3K (or, as Ring likes calling it now, F/F/T3K15) is provided off-site via Google Drive as per site rules against publishing riffs and other MST3K-esque works as stories, and this bit of freedom means we can leave the docs open for others to leave comments right on the text even if they're not on our list of people with editing access. You can insert your own quips and jabs alongside ours by putting the doc into suggestion mode (unless Ring can default it to that, in which case that's less work on your part) and typing in your line in the "Name: Comment!" format detailed above. If we like the joke, there's a good chance it'll find its way into the text of the document. So yay, you're a helper!

Anyone who's committed to tackling a 5K-word project (at first; the commentary will probably bloat it to several times that size) can leave a comment replying to RingmasterJ5 and/or myself on this thread. So far we seem to have an "all-star" lineup of myself, Ring, twow443, KillerSteel, and Kanzerlin Maud (aka TheAuthorGl1m0, creator of the site I host my riffs on), at least out of the people who have weighed in. Pop in and leave a response if you want in on my first new project in fuck knows how long. Ring and I want to keep this a surprise until we get it started, though trust me, it should be a surprise most of you will want to see.

We're gonna launch the doc for editing and suggestions on Saturday the 13th, the night of the 100th episode, at 10 PM EST. Get your asses into formation before then if you want in.

Hey there, big guy. Still here.

Well, it's summertime... Nothing to do... I guess I'm around.
Wait. I have no computer. Fuck.

Ringmaster
Group Admin

4433121 Aren't you part of the editor list?

Fallen Prime
Group Admin

4433102 Well, I might be getting a job, so that'll cut into my afternoons and evenings.

4433112 SEE THAT, BITCH? I'M ACTUALLY GOING FOR ONE.

Know what? Count the Steelmeister in. About time I cracked open a whiskey with Dash and tore apart another bad story anyways.

Fallen Prime
Group Admin

4433166 Pretty sure this isn't a riffverse thing. Riffverse has been dead for two years anyway.

Ringmaster
Group Admin

Yep. Not a Riffverse thing, just us tearing into a terrible fic as ourselves along with anyone else that wants to comment.

Oh yeah. This still exists.

Oi, Ring. Long time no see. Though I've mostly moved on from riffing, I suppose I can still toss a hat's worth of opinion and snark into the ring (dohoho) if you'd have me. Not as though I've got much else to do these days...

...Aaaaand it only now reoccurs to me that, after seeing this, I've left PonyRiffs to rot for quite a long time. Whoopsie.

(This is TheAuthorGl1m0, in case you were wondering who I am/was. :P)

Oh! That reminds me.
*Places link to own story*
I made this awhile ago and I think it may fit perfectly here. Although, the story already mocks itself somewhat in a MST3K style, so it could possibility be considered as a 'second cousin' to the group.

4433153 About the fuck time.

Fallen Prime
Group Admin

4434493 Shut up and move back to this state already.

I don't know how much I matter. But I'm still here.

I've never done a riff before, but I enjoy reading them and would like to take a crack at it.

I'll give it a whirl again. It's been far too long.

Oh, what the hell. Count me in.

4434816 I would be interested in giving this a shot, it's Summer and I got nothing else to do. Besides, could be fun. Maybe I'll find myself enjoying Riffing. Maybe I'll suck dick at it, who knows? Either way I want in.

4433102 Still here. And riffing. Sort of. But not here. Because I thought it was dead.....

Fallen Prime
Group Admin

4438393 Did you have another username before this one? Doesn't look familiar.

EDIT: Ohhhhhhh, this account's younger than I thought. Never mind.

4438430 TONIIIIGHHHHHT! I AM YOUNNNNGG!

Shutting up now! :twilightblush:

Consider me intrigued.

Interestingly enough, not all that long ago I took part in a writing session for a movie riff that's going to be shown at the local anime convention...

Fallen Prime
Group Admin

4438898 Welcome to the land of snark, my friend.

4438903 When will you guys actually be doing this first new riff?

Ringmaster
Group Admin

4440320 The 15th 13th.

4433126 Maybe. Can't remember. I'm sick right now and I don't know when I'll get a computer back. Using phone right now. Bit difficult to check, hate navigating this mobile layout.

Ringmaster
Group Admin

You definitely were. You'll probably be given editor privileges on the new stuff anyway so you'll be ready when you get a computer again, but if we do anything you really want to get in on before then, you could always try editing from the Google Docs mobile app as well.

Does anyone aside from Steel even remember the one thing I riffed?

But yeah, you said the 13th? Count this no name talentless hack in, if you'll have him.

Okay, so this is where I had to post my return, good to know. I could use a break from my drawing/writing/training to go for that cringy comedy of mine. Ready for whatever!

4441466 I may be able to borrow my dad's laptop while he's at work (he teaches summer school, so mostly weekdays) or away for something else. I think I've got it covered.

Ringmaster
Group Admin

You might get to it a few days late doing that(we're starting everything back up Saturday night), but this is probably something you'll want to riff so any way's good.

4448007 I've already got it right here actually. He's gone a lot even if he isn't teaching to care for his dad anyway, or he's out with colleagues or something. So I've got more chances to use this than I previously said.
Also, Saturday night won't be hard to get to.

Ringmaster
Group Admin

4448019 Ah, good. It's not that long of a fic anyway(again, only about 5K) so it's not like you'd have to use it for an especially long amount of time either. Especially when you'll have like 10 other people all riffing it at once.

I wouldn't mind joining in, if you'll have the old loner. Might help me get rid of this writer's block on this project I'm working on too.

And I really should get more active in my communities anyway. ;p

Sign me the hell up mate! Ive been wanting to jump back into riffing for a while now.

This is right up my alley, but I'm almost never free on Saturdays, so I won't be participating this time. I'll keep an eye out for future riffs I might be able to take part in, though.

Ringmaster
Group Admin

4450500 The riff will be open for further commenting for a few days after it starts, so anyone that can't make it that night can still get their jokes in.

I'm interested, if this isn't going to be too crowded.

Ringmaster
Group Admin

Oh, it's going to be very crowded, but that's to be expected.

The way F/F/T3K works is there are a few "core" editors(generally proven riffers who have a bunch of solo stuff under their belt), and then a bunch of commenters. Everyone goes through the fic leaving their best jokes, the editors adding theirs directly into the document and the commenters through little "suggestion boxes" off to the side. After a period of about two weeks, the document is closed from any further commenting, and the editors go through the user-suggested jokes and discuss which ones to add into the document directly, and which ones to remove.

For example, if you have someone that absolutely kills it and writes 10 great jokes and then you have a much sloppier writer who makes 27 stinkers and three good ones, of those 40 riffs only 13 will be added to the doc itself. Then the finished riff is released to the public for anyone to view.

KNOCK KNOCK. I may be in the middle of a month-long game jam and still in the middle of a long overdue co-riff, but if this doesn't restroke the fires, I don't know what will.

I'll bite. It'll be the old Musketeers plus some friends. One stipulation is I'm not really able to get on after 9 PM most nights.

Ringmaster
Group Admin

Well, we're starting at 10PM EST on Saturday so that might be an issue, but you'll have a good week or two to get your comments in after that.

4433102 By the way, will you be posting another blog post with a link when the doc goes up tomorrow?

Ringmaster
Group Admin

No. PMs will go out to everyone that's signed up here. The link will not be made public until two weeks later when the document is closed for commenting and all the user riffs are voted on.

Ah okay, so 10 PM tomorrow then?

Ringmaster
Group Admin

4459871 I'll join, if you're still offering. There's a chance I might be late though.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 62