Ancestral Tribute 88 members · 34 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
FanOfMostEverything
Group Admin

It's possible I may have left the prompt a bit vague. As such, I'll provide some examples of existing stories that fit the prompt (if not necessarily the contest's other requirements.)

ERoam-Springa
In the community around the rock farm, it is tradition, upon coming of age, to venture out into the world and see if it holds more interest than home. Cloudy Quartz’s journey took longer than most.
Pascoite · 44k words  ·  102  5 · 2.6k views

This is the archetypal example of what I have in mind; a story focusing on a parent as her own person independent of her children.

TSpectrum of Lightning
Dive into the secret past of Twilight Velvet—mother of the Princess of Friendship—as she embarks on her first guns-blazing adventure with the Whip-Cracking Crusader. Volume 1 of Daring Did: Tales of an Adventurer's Companion
Seriff Pilcrow · 119k words  ·  270  3 · 5.4k views

This is a fine example of how to include the kids without violating the prompt. Velvet's children, Spike included, only show up in the modern-day framing device used to get into the meat of the story.

EThe Old Business
Granny Smith and Grandpa Gruff haggle.
Daedalus Aegle · 2.1k words  ·  76  3 · 1.3k views

And this is just a demonstration that it's possible to fulfill the prompt in a deep and meaningful way while remaining within the word limit. :derpytongue2: (Yes, the subtext is about caring after others, but there's still enough personal experience and interpersonal history to make it work.)

Hope the concrete examples help clear things up. Let me know if I just muddied the waters even further.

Well I'm just delighted to serve as an example :derpytongue2:

Hmm. Number two is dangerously close to my idea. :raritycry: Like I think I'd rejected including Daring Do at this point buuuuut still.

I'm writing a story that does involve the parent's concern for their child's wellbeing - it's not a central plot point, but it's there near the end. Do we think that will be okay? Is it okay if I submit the story and you can tell me if it doesn't fit? :twilightsheepish: I personally think it's a fitting story (LOL), but I would hate to submit it and find a month later that it won't even be considered, when I could have time to try and write another! :twilightsmile:

FanOfMostEverything
Group Admin

I try to read entries as they come in, at least before the inevitable flood the day of the deadline. Rest assured, I'll get back to you on whether it qualifies. From the sound of it, this should be fine.

I would appreciate that very much! I could also give you a summary if you prefer, whichever's easier for you! :heart: Thank you!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6