Comment Club 68 members · 145 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
Comment Club
Group Admin

Back in February, I knew that I left some unfinished business, as the participants in the very last Slates never got what had been promised to them when they participated. I don't think anyone would have blamed me if I had left all that alone forever, as it looked like was going to happen. But I'm a bit of a completionist, and so wanted to get around to giving this whole endeavor a bit of final closure. I just never expected to not get around to it for so long, sorry about that!

So here are the very last fruits of an experiment that ran its course.

Luna Slate XIV Entries

Entry 1: Walk A Thousand Nights

Nominator: Bicyclette
Author: Sunlight Rays

TWalk A Thousand Nights
Celestia sent Luna to the Moon. The price of her neglect continues to haunt her.
Sunlight Rays · 7.4k words  ·  78  0 · 1.4k views

Entry 2: Too Much Trixie in That Mirror

Nominator: SparklingTwilight
Author: SparklingTwilight

TToo Much Trixie in That Mirror
Trixie buys a mirror / Trixie loves her mirror / Discord teaches Twilight a lesson
SparklingTwilight · 5.6k words  ·  20  2 · 847 views

Entry 3: The Night Before Wednesday

Nominator: Scribblestick
Author: Scribblestick

EThe Night Before Wednesday
Will Fluttershy learn the true meaning of Wednesday?
Scribblestick · 1.8k words  ·  31  1 · 606 views

Entry 4: Celestia and the Mild Inconvenience

Nominator: daOtterGuy
Author: daOtterGuy

ECelestia and the Mild Inconvenience
Perfect Order has been slighted by Princess Celestia and will now mildly inconvenience her in vengeance.
daOtterGuy · 1.4k words  ·  37  1 · 793 views

Celestia Slate XV Entries

Entry 1: A Little Bittle Of Sunshine

Nominator: daOtterGuy
Author: River Road

EA Little Bittle Of Sunshine
Before Izzy, there was another pony who did his best to make the town a little bit brighter.
River Road · 7.3k words  ·  53  3 · 875 views

Entry 2: Harmony Terminated Us All

Nominator: SparklingTwilight
Author: SparklingTwilight

THarmony Terminated Us All
"Harmony doomed us. I killed Cozy Glow (although she was always a robot). If anycreature remains, heed this warning." -Former Princess Twilight Sparkle.
SparklingTwilight · 6.4k words  ·  22  0 · 1k views

Cadance Slate VI Entries

Entry 1: Killing All the Right Ponies

Author: ObabScribbler

TKilling All the Right Ponies
An Apple family member comes to Ponyville to make angry demands of Princess Twilight in the middle of a personal crisis.
ObabScribbler · 15k words  ·  310  37 · 5.9k views

Entry 2: Fluttershy, Royal Game Warden (?)

Author: JimmySlimmy

TFluttershy, Royal Game Warden (?)
"She needs bits? I'll just make her the Game Warden. Not like we're gonna need one of those any time soon!" – Twilight Sparkle, clueless.
JimmySlimmy · 26k words  ·  275  7 · 2.4k views
Comment Club
Group Admin

And one more thing before I go: A list of participants and the following final Comment Rating posts.

Thank you so much to everyone who has participated! Goodbye now!

Cadance Slate V Comment Rating

Entry 1: Change, Inc.

Entry 2: Sparkle

Results

Entry 1: Change, Inc.

Winner: N/A

Entry 2: Sparkle

Winner: ReedHoarse

Link

This was the cutest! I basically spent the whole time reading it hugging myself and grinning.

Everything flows really well, and I was cheering at all of the main character's little successes and bits of progress.

The tone you have going on is basically how I imagine it would be if the show itself dealt with the subject of trans people, a reflection of real world struggles but in a fundamentally caring and supportive setting. With the largest obstacle being the main character's internalised issues and dysphoria, it allows the story to focus on her inner struggles.

My name is Dusk Shine, and I think the Elements of Harmony made a mistake.

At the beginning of the story we basically know how this will end, so there's an immediate dramatic irony in this line. It becomes clear quite quickly that what she means by this is that the element of magic should have been a woman, which it turns out she is.

The day I met my friends and found the Elements was the best day of my life. With that Spark burning in my eyes, everything felt so clear and right. In the weeks since, that clarity has left me, like a dream slowly dissipating.

I woke up the next day, and I was still just me.

The disappointment is freaking tangible here. The conflict of the story is one of knowing herself, of trying to find that clarity she lost. She's disappointed that she is who she is, and it's not like at the end of the story she's someone different. She just knows herself better, and has that clarity she once had.

The main character is so frustratingly close to that clarity all through the story, blatantly holding herself to different standards than she does anyone else. I feel like Fluttershy in Chapter 7, "I just wanted to grab your shoulders and shake you!"

The double-think, the doubts, and the 'oh, well if it's me it's bad and wrong', ring painfully true, and are also so Twilight: this is the Twilight who threw a town into chaos because she thought her loving, understanding teacher whom she'd known for years would be mad at her for handing in her friendship homework late.

She sums it up nicely in Chapter 3:

Looking at myself is surprisingly difficult!

I love this line, because that's it, that's the whole story. And it's great.

Chapter 2 is the standout for me. You combine Season 1 doesn't-understand-friendship Twilight so well with trans Twilight, and the dramatic irony of knowing what's actually going on from the episode versus what's going on in Twilight's catastrophing mind is used to great effect. I think I might have wanted more chapters like this before she came to understand herself, but that's more because I was enjoying the story and the feelings it evoked enough that I wanted it to continue more than that it felt rushed.

I saw in the comments you're planning on doing a sequel, and I'm interested to see where you go with this!

Celestia Slate XIV Comment Rating

Entry 1: The Unicorn Owl

Entry 2: Pedestal of Stone

Results

Entry 1: The Unicorn Owl

Winner: SparklingTwilight

Link

“It means,” she said, “That ponies will not be searching for the owl properly!” This last came in a rising shriek that made the young dragon flinch slightly.
“My concern is entirely related to the scientific method and amateur ornithologists making fools of themselves. Stop looking at me like that. This isn’t like last time.”

A hilarious few lines!

An interesting survey of the Mane Six's reactions to a situation--a tried and true structure that works well here. :twilightsmile: That said, I am not sure why most of them really care that much about the situation (sure there's a reward, which sets things in motion...but even a line or two about why each thought they needed the reward money could have added context and some other joke zingers [if there already are lines about it, apologies and I can revise this comment!]). Still, the concept is amusing. Fluttershy's non-interest was a nice surprise that elevated the humor with an unexpected yet reasonable twist.

I was not expecting the ending twist. I had expected (until they showed up) that due to the presaging of their presence, the Crusaders were going to turn out to have stuck something to Owliscious. I wasn't expecting something unexpected to come completely out of nowhere--while that's accepted comedy, I'd have preferred some lampshading about Luna. Still, it was amusing.

Thank you for sharing!

Entry 2: Pedestal of Stone

Winner: daOtterGuy

Link

Howdy, hi!

Gosh, you hit me right in the feels with this one. Glad I took the recommendation from Mush and read this one. I love me sad fics with no obvious stab to the heart, just a low pull as you realize everything is falling apart and that ends on that bittersweet note. I was genuinely worried going through that Sweetie wouldn't have let go, but she did and found a glimmer of something new to do. The just slow build-up to the climax was solid and the payoff was worth every word to read.

It also helps that most people won't write this kind of slow degradation of friendship. It happens all the time, but you don't see stories tackle it. Thsi one handled it perfectly.

Anyways, a fantastic read, thank you for this one!

An unexpected update. Neat--thank you! :twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3