Human in Equestria 16,871 members · 17,069 stories
Comments ( 34 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 34

Many fics have established that buck is the pony variety of the word fuck but I want a general consensus from the autist population. What do you guys think? Any other pony swears you can think of or have heard? I personally think that due to the world's nature as a children's show, the harder swears don't even exist to ponies. They've never heard of it in their child-like naivety.

1774622 I agree. Although, you'd be surprised what kids hear these days… Anyway, most of the profanities I've heard have to do with opposing juxtapositions, but not always. "Horse/pony feathers," for instance. "Sour Apples," too. I can't think of any others ATM.

Well... It's fanfictions. You can do anything you want with it.

1774650 Well that's a given. Obviously it's up to interpretations by the author but I thought we could gather a compilation of pony swears.

the ones i have heard in the show are horse feathers, man horse manure, various times celestia's name is taken in vain, horse apples is one but i can't think of others.

But it is the lazy AND autist population which believes that buck is a good sucbstitute on the sole basis that they sound a little alike.

Anyways, I'm dying to call a pony a broodmare.:rainbowkiss:

1774622 To me, bucking is not a swear word. It is what Applejack does to harvest apples. If one uses it as an expletive, then it insults what Applejack does for a living. Insulting AJ makes her sad. You don't want to make AJ sad...do you?

I would have them have real world swears, but usually prefer euphemisms.

And I never use "buck," because a serious swear having a common innocent usage is odd to me.

Ponyfeathers is one that I think they use in the show. Horseapples is one I heard somewhere, essentially means Horses***. Buck can go either way but then Applejack's job discription becomes 'An applef***er' :applejackunsure: so I personally think buck is less of a swear word and more of a... (Shrugs) example from my story: "Buck off, pervert." human translation. "Get away from me, pervert." Can't really think of any others.

1774687 You're right. Still makes you a faggot. Oh wait, why would I call you a bundle of sticks?

I'm pretty sure twilight said "horse apples" in an episode, and ponyfeathers has been used too. For a milder swear, AJ's said "shoot" before. I'm sure I'm missing some.

I usually have the ponies use terms like "belgium", "semprini", and "Wankel rotary engine".
I know it's pretty harsh language, but that's the kind of dark 'n' gritty story that I write about pastel marshmallow ponies. :twilightangry2:

1774622 Lets see I agree with that "Buck" is a swear of sorts. But I have heard other too.

1774705 The difference is that most people would actively avoid calling a bundle of sticks a "faggot."

Hmmm, Celestia might have cleaned things up a bit grammatically since the Exile of Nightmare Moon, but uniquely-pony swears do exist in show, given how Pinkie and Rarity reacted to "I dont give a flying feather!':yay::raritycry::pinkiegasp: One can only guess at its exact meaning, but it must be quite crude up in Cloudsdale...:twilightsheepish:
"Oh Roadapples!" also slipped out during the Running of the Leaves when Dash found herself way behind.:rainbowderp:
Given how often AJ says "Applebucking" and how proud of it she is, either "Buck" is rarely used as a swear, or never in her presense. :ajbemused: I plan on using "Rut" instead, unless there are laws on Equestrain books reguarding punishments "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" (Guess what that acronym became...) :trixieshiftright:

1774734 They didn't before the conception of that meaning for the word. Oh god, now I have a story idea about Applejack struggling to discuss her daily farm chores now that buck means to kick plot with your fifth "leg."

Same as Bitch (Proper name for a female dog) and Ass (Proper name for a donkey) and Gay (Actually means happy or joyful). People avoid using those words in civilized speech even though there is nothing wrong with them

Actually, there's far more evidence that it came from the Dutch word fokken, meaning "to strike". :twistnerd:

No.... because they are awful. :ajbemused:

1774746 :fluttershysad:I don't mean to nitpick, but it was horseapples, not roadapples.

Have some etymology.
Buck
• Noun form: From Middle English buc, bucke, bukke; from Old English buc, bucc, bucca (“he-goat, stag”); from Proto-Germanic *bukkaz, *bukkô (“buck”)—compare West Frisian bok (“he-goat”), German Bock); from Proto-Indo-European *bʰug- (“ram”)—compare Albanian buzë, Old Armenian բուծ (buc, “sucking lamb”), Persian بز (boz, “goat”), Sanskrit बुख (bukha).

• Verb form: From Middle Low German bucken (“to bend”) or Middle Dutch bucken, bocken (“to bend”), intensive forms of Old Saxon būgan and Old Dutch *būgan (“to bend, bow”); from Proto-Germanic *būganą (“to bend”); from Proto-Indo-European *bʰūgʰ- (“to bend”). Cognate with German bücken (“to bend, stoop”), Danish bukke (“to buck”), Swedish bocka (“to bend, buck, bow”). Influenced in some senses by buck (“male goat”).

Fuck
• Noun, Verb, and Adverb form: Probably from Middle English *fucken, *fukken, of North Germanic origin, related to dialectal Norwegian fukka (“to copulate; fuck”), Swedish fokka—earlier "to fuck; thrust; push", nowadays focka (“to fire from work”), Swedish fock (“penis”), and Middle Dutch (and Modern Dutch) fokken (“to breed”). It may go back to the Proto-Indo-European *pug-, *puǵ- ("to strike"; source of Latin pūgnus (“fist”) among many others), or to Proto-Indo-European *puḱn-, *pewḱ- ("to sting, stick, stab"); compare German ficken, “to fuck”.

1774683 1774746
...To the fandom's credit, "buck" actually can be used as a verb in the context of "to copulate, as bucks and does."

1774683 NOT BEST PONE!

1774945 Well if I do have ponies copulating in my story, they do not use buck as a verb to describe said action. I like to use phrases such as "A roll in the hay", "Shagging (Yeah Baby!)", or just straight up "Fucking".

:applejackunsure: "Now wait just a minute sugarcube! Mah barn door don't swing that way."

:pinkiesmile: "Silly AJ, that's not a barn door. That's a coochie!"

Ah! Thanks for the correction. Still, in the end, its still the same equine waste product sneakily used on a kids show as a swear. :scootangel:

Wow! Someone did their homework! :pinkiegasp:
Thanks for your corrections. :twilightsmile:

Since I prefer pony society to be mostly realistic...
Either Buck and whatnot are general coverup words for actual curse words, either ours or new ones, they're said because the mane 6 are well mannered mares...

I DID have an idea that AJ :applejackconfused: had a former cursing problem and says buck as a way to slowly habituate herself to use harmless replacements instead. My headcanon is that also, "Buck" is a term for just the general kicking, though there is maybe the connotations of a mare well... being rutted, bucking a bit in excitement... ouch. I usually think the idea of "Clop" to a pony has the same context as "Clap" to us, that is, a form of applause so...
"If you live apple tarts clop your hooves! *CLOP CLOP*" and yada yada yada, we all should know that ponified nursery rhyme.

Now if a pony heard our curse words, they'd be offended depending on circumstances. For example, cursing because of pain or purely for adjectival reasons outside the proximity to children. I.E. "Holy fuck!" While staring at a Discorded Ponyville and no foal is in sight. None of them would care one bit, probably because they'd be thinking the same thing or similar lines.

If lexicon differences do occur, it is depending on the worse usage and if it is apparent or not to the pony ears. "Fuck" in many context would be rather obvious, such as "Oh Fuck me sideways!" assuming the general, something bad is about to happen, context is going. Yet maybe "God damn it" wouldn't, because one would have to think what the hell are those biped apes invoking? Unless of course, invoking Celestia in their version has the same connotations, that is, using her name is vein is considered bad behavior, which I'm rather doubting. Worse is "Holy Mary!" or "Sweet Jesus!" because those context are only known to those who are Christians, know about a general idea of Christianity, or Christianity derived vulgarity and/or lexicon is common and near standard in his or her society.

my new head canon is that the apple family has an apple tree haram and that why all the apple family have apple cutie marks (also thats how apple are made) so basically applejack is a tree ho

1774622 I love 'foal of a nag.':rainbowkiss::rainbowlaugh:

:trollestia:

I use buck as a swear, as you're saying that you have every intention of caving their chest in with a well placed kick.:trollestia:

Detective Chmilewsky
Group Contributor

1774622 I think it's stupid as hell. Sure, maybe some ponies use it as a replacement word (son of a bee-sting!), but if buck and fuck mean the same thing, then what the hell is Applejack doing?

1774622 Powerpuff Girls got away with saying 'shit' once. Just go with damn, shit, and hell. Don't be that guy and use 'buck' or 'Faust damned'.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 34