Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

Okay, I’m itching to write a story involving Thestrals. I also know there now some fandom elements to the bat ponies.

What culture has the fandom come up with?
What stories do you all think are the fundamental stories someone should read to understand the ideas of the Thestrals?

How can I learn more about the ponies Hasbro forgot? Lol yeah my own nickname for the bat ponies.

What must be included is that they are like normal ponies but cuter and fluffier.

For me personally, I am writing my own story that involves a thestral and the lore of what became of them when Nightmare Moon happened and when Luna was freed from her evil persona. I do not know much about what the fandom lore is, nor do I bother to care about it. Also, it sometimes does not matter what the lore is about thestrals depending on what you are writing about. If it is a story about Echo's normal day at the market, there shouldn't be any worry about where her kind originated from.

An example about head cannon is my own story:

ETwo-Sided Prequel II: Who You Work For
Note: This is the FIRST installment of the Two Sided series. After working in a coffee shop for two months after leaving Suri, Coco Pommel found a job that is to make a dress "fit for a queen." Little did she know was who she was going to work for.
FerociousCreation · 196k words  ·  303  21 · 5.2k views

It may not be bat pony related, but similar to what I am trying to get across. Before season 6 finale, no one knew about how the changeling hive behaved or what the culture was. So fans, like myself, took it into their own hands to make fanfictions, comics, fan art, and other forms of media to create their own headcanon. And mostly everyone still prefers the old changeling look than the newer bettle-like changeling form.

There are some fan given traits that are given to thestrals, like having a huge craving for mangos, but you do not have to follow them. You can look at how others portrayed thestrals, but you may want to give it your own look.

If I can toot my own horn, I’ve discussed thestral history and culture in the context of a half-thestral pegasus soldier trying to overcome bigotry and the legacy of the Lunar Rebellion to join and be accepted by the Equestrian military.

If you’re interested and enjoy action/adventure epics, read three chapters of Before the Storm: The Rise of Firefly for the story of Fell Flght, one of seven founding members of the Wonderbolts. If you’re only interested in the thestral chapters (which can be read standalone), start here:

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/281029/18/before-the-storm-the-rise-of-firefly/interlude-2-part-1-cats-eye-gleam

Preview follows:

Methinks I shall start by saying that growing up was a trial in and of itself. The pegasi herd that raised me, bless their hearts, were very kind and helpful to me, even in the face of my own intransigence and various attitude issues. They were also the only source of support I had during my youth. Everypony else who looked at me saw only my eyes, and condemned me for them… and my herd family as well.

When I was born, ’twas a shock to my mother and father, to be certain. Perchance ‘twas destiny that I would eventually join the Equestrian Aerial Corps, as my colors were already that of a Corps soldier, not even needing the fur dye—I had a coat the color of freshly-made snow, and my mane was a pale blue, like a robin’s egg. But ’twas my eyes that would be the talking point of my herd for years to come: a brilliant gold, with cat-like pupils—a hallmark of thestral lineage.

’Tis uncertain to me whether my mother or father’s side was the one with thestral blood, but in truth, it doesn’t matter. All that did matter was that from some unknown ancestor I inherited the slitted eyes of the bat-winged ponies, as well as the problems and boons that came with them. Though my night vision is superb, enabling me to see in darkness as clear as day, I’ve been sensitive to bright light since the day I was born, although ’twould appear from my readings that my sensitivity isn’t as pronounced as my ancestors’. Where I can stand being out in the sun for a few hours at a time, my forebears apparently could not for more than a few minutes before getting blinding headaches and other problems. ’Tis why they—and I—preferred starry nights instead of sunny skies as my parents quickly found I had propensity for being more active at night, when they were trying to sleep. ’Tis also why thestral enclaves established since the war use light-dimming magic to shade their towns and villages during the day.

With no cure for my ‘condition’, I was given a pair of shaded spectacles by an eye healer to wear, which helped some, but which I preferred not to use as they simply drew more attention to me—you couldn’t see my eyes from far away, but you could see the shades, and instantly know something was different about me. But worse than this ‘light-blindness’, as it’s been termed by less-than-sensitive medical ‘professionals’, is what my eyes symbolize to those around me. To most in Equestria, these eyes are a symbol of Nightmare Moon and her reign of terror, and as a consequence, my forebears and I are symbols of her fear. ’Twas not without some justification, as many of my ancestors threw their lot in with The Nightmare, who favored them greatly, promising them a place in Equestrian society they had for so long been denied.

And yet, even before Nightmare Moon, my ancestors were shunned, both for our predatory appearance and the fact that we would on occasion hunt, having an appetite for fish and the rare game animal that caused most ponies to recoil. But even aside from diet, the fact remained we were a smaller, night-loving tribe whose lifestyle was anathema to most ponies, and that would mean we suffered endless ostracization over time. ’Twas further rumored, without any evidence at all, that Princess Luna had created the thestrals by bonding the essence of pegasi with the essence of bats, creating a class of nocturnal warriors and servants that would answer to her alone. These rumors were another reason the thestrals are viewed with some suspicion; even now after the critical assistance we rendered in the war some call us ‘fake-ponies’ as if we have no true past or identity of our own.

’Twas a stigma that would only worsen with Nightmare Moon’s rebellion, which seemed to validate such fears. Many thestrals joined her Army of The Night and were killed fighting Celestia’s forces in their failed insurrection, and many more would be driven from from their homes and villages and cast out of Equestrian society completely in the aftermath of their sovereign’s defeat. They were forced to take refuge in remote camps and start over there, out of sight and mind for most ponies, who never forgot their betrayal. Three hundred years were not enough time for anypony to forget, and by that time, the thestral population of Equestria was confined to a few isolated enclaves and villages where they could live in peace.

Yet from that isolation brought toughness and resourcefulness as well. Lacking unicorns, they became quite well-versed in use of magical artifacts and crystals, learning to forge tools and make clothes with their bare hooves. Lacking earth ponies, they learned to grow their own food and when necessary, hunt and fish. Over time, they formed their own society and militia, and they even came up with their own fighting styles and combat doctrine (as the gryphons would one day rue), but they still had little contact with greater Equestria aside from a few isolated trading posts.

Many yearned for the day when they could rejoin the greater world and be welcomed as equals, but many more wanted nothing to do with the ‘light-lovers’ and spoke of one day restoring the glory of their lost sovereign’s short-lived Lunar Republic, Nightmare Moon being the only champion and protector they had ever truly known.

Thestrals will also figure prominently in the sequel to this story, Into The Storm: The Flight of Firefly, where they will play a key role in defending Equestria from a Gryphon invasion. Don’t expect cute and cuddly with my story but do expect a lot of worldbuilding, thestral-related and otherwise.

Bat ponies have varying fandom interpretations, really. There's no definitive source on anything, or any singular 'Dracula'-type story that everyone steals from without understanding the source material it itself is based on. So you're not likely to get much more answers than just recommended reading. The fandom as a unit hasn't come up with anything. Even the name 'thestrals' isn't universally adopted, because some of us don't like Harry Potter. ("Blasphemy!" -"Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.")

On that note, I've got two stories that might be of interest, using the name 'rousettes' and giving them a whole culture that venerates hiding and trickery and such, but... it won't do you any good.

Best advice I can give is: read up on bats, read up on basics of symbolism, of how cultures are formed, and make up your own stuff. As long as it's internally consistent and entertaining, it's fine. Part of the fun of writing bat ponies is to come up with new stuff anyway.

If you really want a definitive 'must read,' I'd recommend Initiation. One thing that is a consistently recurring element for bat pony stories is that element of otherness to regular ponies. You want them to feel like they're a part of Equestria, yet very distinct from everything else in it, it's hard to explain. Basically, pretend they're as different from ponies as griphons are, and you get a good starting point. Initiation does that well; there's customs that are strange to regular ponies, food that they enjoy but normal ponies gag at, but they're still in the Royal Guard.

Figure out what you want your story to do first (comedy? Tearjerker? Strange faerie tale full of macabre wonder?), then worry about what the bat ponies need to be.

I suggest you to read What must be done and No light, both written by Vargras.

Me personally, I'd recommend Interview with a Batpony by Gulheru and it's sequel.

And if I may be so self-indulgent, I've also written a story, titled Rise of the Moon.

I've been working on trying to establish them as a separate culture and species for my writing, but I'm running into issues making it not seem contrived or cliched. It's like, I can write a textbook, but not a narrative. It'd be easier if "I had someone to bounce ideas off of, or even a co-author. But, as it stands, I shall persevere!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8