• Published 12th Apr 2013
  • 2,220 Views, 61 Comments

The Eldest - Authora97



They have separated for over a millennia. My daughters know that I cannot bare to see them fight yet they continue. They know I hate to see them hurt each other yet they continue. They know I hate to see them cry yet they continue.

  • ...
8
 61
 2,220

Days Past

Looking up at the night sky, Asa began to question about her hiding spot. When she had created this small patch of woodland, it was just two small trees. She placed a spell on them to counter regular magic, pegasus and unicorn. Earth magic was different. It was magic the Earth itself made. Putting the spell on it was the only way to keep her sister’s from messing it up. This had been her favorite place in the world.

She remembered, just over a week ago, where her family had come and rested by this tree for a picnic. Her Father was flying overhead with Celestia and Luna, her Mother was about a few feet away having some tea.

It was the last day they spent together as a family.

After the picnic, her parents were called away to the Northern Part of the Kingdom. A monster had been causing chaos in that region. Asa had a vision of this, but couldn’t see who this creature was no matter how hard she tried. Her parents wouldn’t come back.

Two days later, Asa felt it. Her parent’s presences disappear. Running outside, nearly scaring half the servants, Asa found where her parents had vanished to. Her Mother had been merged with the Sun and she could only assume her father had been merged with the moon.

She was made Queen a day later. Her vision was frightening.

Not wanting her sister’s to become them Asa practically commanded them to turn her into stone. Placing her most precious belongings in the Vault, wearing the dress telling her namesake, (Asa means ‘Born at Dawn’) she felt ready. She couldn’t say the same for her sisters...

A snapping twig shocked her out of her thoughts. Looking around, Asa saw nothing of great danger.

*growl*

She finally saw the green eyes that had been watching her. The girl remained under the tree, staring up at the moon. The wolves crept closer.

Then, by the strange nature of the Everfree Forest, a large amount of Poison Joke sprouted up from the ground.

Laughing at the strangeness of her home, Asa’s thoughts again shifted to her family. How had Lulu been able to remember? It had been at least three thousand years since Asa had been turned to stone. Any item bearing even the smallest mention of her had been moved to the Fault. Nopony should’ve broken in.

Unless, well, unless Luna had something happen to her that would keep her froze for a prolonged amount of time as well.

“Dad is makes no sense. Lulu and Celly should’ve forgotten about me so long ago. I don’t know if you can even hear me but could you give me some kind of explanation for this?” Silence greeted her. “Seems hard to believe that a few days ago I could ask you and get a reply.”

Asa continued to stare at the moon, until sleep claimed her.


“Big Sister!” A voice yelled. Asa turned to see the Night Alicorn running towards her.

“Lulu!” Asa shouted as the two sisters came together in a loving hug. Both sisters missed the other. They both were also shocked by the events that had taken place at sunset.

After a long hug, the eldest sister was able to get a better look at the alicorn that had grown so quickly in her eyes.

“You can control the Dream Realm now?” Asa asked the alicorn.

“Yes. Since Tia and I have split our rulership I have been given domain over the night. Dreams are included as well as the stars.” The alicorn explained.

Asa’s smile grew larger as she looked at her sister. “Lulu, how was it you managed to remember after so long?”

The alicorn became a little worry some at the memory of what she was just three years prior.

“Lulu, you can tell me. It couldn’t have been that bad.” Asa comforted. It was when Asa was met with silence did she release her words were false. “Sis, just tell me. If you don’t I’ll find out.”

Luna, happy to see her eldest sister again, looked up at her with tear filled eyes.

“I-I-I tried to make the Night Eternal a thousand years ago. Tia, was forced to... use the Elements...on me.”

‘No. Neither of them was supposed to become twisted. When I turned to stone it was supposed to protect them from that fate.’ Asa thought to herself.

Luna noticed her sister’s quiet. “I am sorry! I tried to stay happy but ponies wouldn’t love my Night so... I tried to force them to love it. Tia had no choice put to use the Elements, please don’t be mad at her.”

It was true, Asa could have been mad at Celestia. She also could’ve been mad at Luna. But she didn’t see Luna in front of her, she saw a filly who moments ago was told to turn her sister to stone.

“Why would I be mad?” Asa asked, Luna’s tears didn’t stop but er eyes opened enough to see her sister’s eyes. “It was just a simple case of jealousy. Nothing to worry about Lulu.” The non-pony hugged her young sister, and began to sing a lullaby their mother had sung to them. One that now seemed to sum up Asa’s problem like magic.

‘A cool summer night was spent watching the fireflies

Dance in the light of the moon

Who would’ve guessed that what we thought was real

Was so fragile and ended so soon


I miss what we had together

Promised each other forever


Was it a long time ago?

I don’t even know

I don’t recognize the places that we used to go

I’ve lost track of time, it seems like just yesterday

But... you’re slipping away. You’re slipping away.”

Asa cradled her trembling sister in her arms, brokenhearted to see that even when making a right decision it failed her.

“Don’t worry Lulu, I’m sure this whole ‘Celly trying to Kill me’ will pass. Something will bring her memories of me back. We just need to wait for us to find it. Nightmare Moon wasn’t your fault.”

The words left Asa’s mouth before she could stop them. Luna looked up at her sister with horror.

“I never told you what I was called Sister.” Luna explained.

“It-It-It was a vision! When you explained it I saw it, yes, her name was in there.”

“No. Your eyes would fog over when you had a vision. Y-Y-You knew before you were stone didn’t you?”

‘Me and my stupid mouth.’

“Not all the details.” Luna slowly began to back away. “But if I hadn’t become a statue, Celestia would’ve joined you in that darkness.” Her words did nothing.

“You knew and you didn’t try to help me stop her?!” Luna accused. Asa shook her head fiercely.

“No! I did. I had a vision after my coronation. Whatever did those things to Mom and Dad was coming and was going to do those same things to me! I didn’t have a being to merge with so it would have killed me.”

Even though the words explained things, the Princes of Dreams was still angered her sister knew of what she would become.

“Please Lulu, don’t you leave me to. I’ve lost my parents and sister in the course of a week.” Asa explained, tears threatening to fall from her eyes.

“You did nothing to help me from changing into that Nightmare Asa. I do not even know if We can believe your words of comfort.”

And with that, Asa’s sister faded away. Leaving Asa alone.

‘Even when I try I fail. Now I’ve lost what family I had left.”

The thought was stopped... by a searing pain in her legs.


Asa’s eyes opened wide, seeing a manticore in front of her.

It’s tail still stuck in her leg.

“GAH!” Asa yelled as the beast took his tail out. Asa tried standing but quickly found it useless.

She blacked out from the pain and the venom. Seeing something orange and yellow appear just before she did.

Author's Note:

Fireflies by Amanda Falk
Edited, only took two minutes. Thank you autocorrect.
Comment, like and favorite!