• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 4,442 Views, 633 Comments

Dueling is Magic! Many Futures - Wolfgang



When a man called the Black King threatens the balance across dimensions, Twilight and her friends must travel to Neo Domino City and battle for the fate of all worlds!

  • ...
10
 633
 4,442

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 42: Remnant

Dueling is Magic!
Many Futures

Chapter 42
Remnant

/*********************\

Life Point Count
Paradox: 4000
Twilight: 4000
Rainbow Dash: 4000

"I will begin," said Paradox, drawing five cards and then a sixth. "I activate 'Malefic World Two.' While it's in play, it is treated as 'Malefic World,' but allows each player to control their own Field Spell as well. However, unlike the original 'Malefic World,' there is no danger to the lives of duelists. The Black King needs you alive, after all. Next, I Normal Summon the Tuner monster 'Malefic Compass Gear.'"

A cube made of gears emerged from a blue portal. On each face of the cube was a compass rose, with a red arrow pointing in a different direction on each side.

Malefic Compass Gear
ATK / 0
LV 1

"When Compass Gear is Normal Summoned, I can add a Level Seven or higher 'Malefic' monster to my hand from my deck," Paradox said. "I choose 'Malefic Cyberdark Dragon.' It's second effect also lets me use monsters in my hand as Synchro Materials when I Synchro Summon with it. I tune my Level Eight 'Malefic Cyberdark Dragon' in my hand with the Level One Compass Gear." The ghostly image of a corrupted "Cyberdark Dragon" appeared. A single star burst out of the cube of gears and drew a black ring around it. "Malefic Cyberdark Dragon" changed to an orange outline of its form that vanished, leaving eight stars behind. The formed a straight line and a column of black light surrounded by blue lightning consumed them.

"Cut off from your own time, emerge from the cracks in space to a new world! Synchro Summon, Level Nine! Wanderer of lost eras, 'Malefic Remnant Dragon!'"

The column of light and lightning cleared as a massive wyvern slammed onto the ground, the claws in its powerful legs and on its folded wings digging into the ground. A segmented tail waved over the ground, slowly, deliberately. The muscles in its chest and shoulders were thick and massive, flexing visibly beneath its shadowy black skin. Its eyes glowed bright blue and were sunken into the skull. It had no mouth, but the skin flexed as it stretched its jaws and somehow loosed a deep, haunting cry that ended in vibrato and a sinister growl.

Malefic Remnant Dragon
ATK / 3000
LV 9

"While Remnant Dragon is on the field, the opponents of its owner cannot conduct their second Main Phase," Paradox stated. "I Set one card face-down and end my turn."

"No Main Phase Two, huh?" said Twilight. "Then I'll just have to get rid of that dragon. My turn!" A card flew out of her Duel Disk and joined the other five floating in front of her. "I summon 'Blast Magician' to the field."

A blue portal opened in front of Twilight. A human-like figure stepped out and the portal closed behind him. He was dressed in a black suit and red-orange magician robes. In his left hand was a staff topped with a scythe-like blade, but extended and hooked in the back. A single Spell Counter stone was embedded in the blade where it met the end of the staff.

Blast Magician
ATK / 1400
LV 4

"Blast Magician gains one Spell Counter each time a Spell Card is activated. First I play the Field Spell 'Magical Citadel of Endymion.' It also gains Spell Counters when Spell Cards are activated. Next, I equip Blast Magician with 'Broken Bamboo Sword.' All this does is increase his Attack Points by zero." A sword with a broken bamboo shoot as its blade appeared and the orange magician took hold of it with his right hand. He looked at it curiously.

"Twilight, why would you give your monster a card that doesn't even do anything?" asked Rainbow Dash.

"Because now I can play this," Twilight said as another card floated into her Duel Disk. "I equip 'Cursed Bamboo Sword' to Blast Magician, then use its effect to return 'Broken Bamboo Sword' to my hand, allowing Blast Magician to attack directly this turn. Next, I reequip the 'Broken Bamboo Sword' to Blast Magician. Finally, I activate the Continuous Spell 'Arcane Barrier.' " The broken blade of the sword began to glow and it extended outwards, forming a proper edge. A faint moaning could be heard and blob-like shadows moved along the blade's edge. For a brief moment, the entire sword became shadow, but the hilt changed back to normal when Twilight replayed the "Broken Bamboo Sword" card. A holographic image of "Arcane Barrier" also appeared next to Twilight.

"Are you quite finished?" Paradox asked.

"No, but you are!" Twilight replied. "I activate 'Blast Magician's effect. By removing Spell Counters from my field, I can destroy one monster on the field with Attack Points equal or less than seven hundred for each counter. I remove all five from Blast Magician and destroy 'Malefic Remnant Dragon!'" The gemstone in Blast Magician's staff had begun to glow very brightly. The entire staff suddenly became engulfed in flame. The magician raised the staff into the air, then slammed the butt end into the ground. The fire raced to the top until it surrounded only the blade on top. The magician raised the staff again, then slammed the tip of the blade into the ground. A wall of fire shot out of the ground and sped toward Paradox's dragon.

"Remnant Dragon's effect activates," Paradox said calmly. "During my opponent's first Main Phase or Battle Phase, I can Special Summon another 'Malefic Remnant Dragon' from my Extra Deck if I do not control another already. This Special Summon is also treated as a Synchro Summon."

A strange distortion appeared in the air, looking almost like a circle of rippling water. A second Remnant Dragon flew out of it silently. It made eye contact with the first one moments before it was destroyed by the fire.

"My destroyed Remnant Dragon's final effect activates," said Paradox. "If it is sent to the Graveyard, I can return it to the Extra Deck to add the Tuner monster used for its Synchro Summon back to my hand." Two cards slid out of the Graveyard slot of Paradox's Duel Disk. He put one into a different slot then held up the other with his left hand, revealing it as "Malefic Compass Gear".

"This is the truth of my existence, Twilight Sparkle," said Paradox. "I am a remnant of a bygone era that must never come to pass. I witnessed my own destruction. Now it is my duty to prevent the destruction of my world."

"By handing it over to Nightshroud?" Twilight spat. "You honestly think that's salvation?"

"If my race lives, then yes, it is," Paradox responded.

"Then you're heartless."

* * * * *

Jack and Crow stopped their D-Wheels directly in front of each other.

"Jack," Crow said.

"Crow," Jack replied. "It's time we had that rematch. Last time you won because I was unprepared and had to spend all of my resources to destroy your new card. This time will be different."

"There's the Jack I know," said Crow with a smile. "Just as cocky as ever."

"You know my skills are on par with Yusei's," said Jack. "I have earned my confidence."

"I beat you once," Crow said, "and I can do it again."

"Did I ever tell you how I acquired Red Nova Dragon, Crow?" Jack asked. Crow shook his head. "It was when Yusei and I went to Peru to see Greiger and his brother and sister. He had had a vision. In it, Greiger saw my destruction through my own power. Twice before I had seen my own power turned against me, and I witnessed it twice more there, at the hands of a servant of the strongest Earthbound Immortal."

"'The strongest Earthbound Immortal?'" Crow asked. "You mean that condor thing Goodwin had?"

"No," Jack said, shaking his hand. "There was another, one more powerful than any of the others: the Crimson Devil, Red Nova. Its power was on par even with the Crimson Dragon's, but it was sealed away by a legendary Signer. He channeled the Crimson Dragon's power through himself, creating the Burning Soul ability which I now possess. The Crimson Devil remained sealed for ten thousand years before mustering up enough strength to destroy a village and toy with Greiger's mind. It lured me and Yusei to Nazca to trap and possess me, but I defeated its familiar in a ceremonial duel by sealing Red Nova's power into a card with my Burning Soul, then giving that power to Red Dragon Archfiend."

"Well, that's cool and all," said Crow, "but I don't see what you're getting at."

"During the duel with the Familiar, the burning wretch turned my own power against me, causing me to take damage every time I tried to attack. But during the duel, I changed tactics, using his own combo to inflict damage to him. The familiar changed tactics as well and started actively attacking me, but engaging me in a power struggle is useless. It was then that I sealed his fate with Red Nova Dragon."

"What's your point?" Crow asked impatiently.

"Yusei excelled at dueling because he excelled at learning and adapting. That was the one advantage he had over my otherwise insurmountable power, for I saw no need to improve if I could not be conquered. But that changed the day I acquired Red Nova Dragon. I can learn and adapt. I know how to beat you now, Crow Hogan. Until I defeat Yusei Fudo in a duel, none shall ever surpass me again!"

"Prove it, tough guy!" Crow said, revving his engine and spinning the Black Bird around. He raced off and Jack quickly followed.

* * * * *

In the darkness of the former resistance head quarters, something stirred. Footsteps echoed through the shadowed halls. They were slow, as if each one was made deliberately and carefully.

The shadows seemed to shrink away as the stranger walked. Overhead lights flickered on as he passed under them, only to be shrouded in darkness once again.

He stopped, held an object in his hand, then turned and opened the door next to him. He entered the room.

The shadows in this room seemed to swim through the air, but as the stranger entered, they moved away. Scattered throughout the room were tables piled high with books. He moved between each one, the unnatural darkness keeping its distance from him.

He stopped before one of the tables and picked up a black book.

"This is it," he said. "I can feel it."

He heard footsteps behind him. He turned back to the door.

Time to go, he thought to himself.

* * * * *

Twilight set one card face-down and ended her turn.

"My turn!" said Rainbow Dash. She quickly glanced over her hand and formed a plan. Then she looked at Twilight.

I know what Paradox did was pretty bad, she thought, but I've never seen Twilight THIS angry.

"I Summon 'Crystal Beast Sapphire Pegasus' and activate its effect," said Dash. "When it's Normal or Special Summoned, I can place a 'Crystal Beast' monster from my hand, deck or Graveyard into my Spell and Trap Zone as a Continuous Spell Card. I choose 'Crystal Beast Ruby Carbuncle.'"

First a white pegasus with a sapphire horn appeared on the field. Its horn began to glow and a giant ruby appeared behind it. The ghostly image of a four-legged animal appeared briefly in front of it.

Crystal Beast Sapphire Pegasus
ATK / 1800
LV 4

"Since Rainbow didn't 'activate' Ruby Carbuncle as a Spell, none of my cards gain Spell Counters," said Twilight.

"Kind of a bummer, right?" said Dash. "Be kinda neat if you could activate monsters like Spells! Anyway, I equip 'Golden Rule' to Sapphire Pegasus. When I activate it, I can place two Level Three or lower 'Crystal Beasts' from my deck into my Spell and Trap Zones as Continuous Spells, then I can Special Summon a 'Crystal Beast' from my hand. I crystallize 'Emerald Tortoise' and 'Amethyst Cat', then Special Summon 'Amber Mammoth' from my hand. After that, I'll throw down a face-down and end my turn." Two more gemstones appeared next to the ruby, an amethyst and an emerald. Following that, a massive mammoth with four long tusks and a round amber on its forehead emerged onto the field.

Crystal Beast Amber Mammoth
ATK / 1700
LV 4

"My turn," said Paradox. "I move to the Battle Phase and attack 'Blast Magician' with 'Malefic Remnant Dragon'. Go, Timesplitter Stream!" A dark blue ball of energy began to form in front of the dragon's face. It erupted into a stream of crackling electricity that raced toward the orange-clad magician.

"I activate 'Collected Power!'" said Twilight. "This reequips all Equip Cards on the field to one monster of my choice. I choose Sapphire Pegasus!"

'Clever move, my little pony," said Paradox. "You must still need to create more Spell Counters. I Set one card and end my turn."

"My turn!" shouted Twilight. She held only one card now and grit her teeth. "I Summon 'Apprentice Magician' in Defense Mode. When Summoned, he places a Spell Counter on one card on the field. I'll place it on the Citadel, bringing it up to seven Spell Counters. Then I'll activate the effect of 'Cursed Bamboo Sword,' returning 'Broken Bamboo Sword' to my hand and allowing Sapphire Pegasus to attack directly this turn. Then I reequip the 'Broken Sword' to Sapphire Pegasus and end my turn." The Apprentice Magician monster appeared on the field, kneeling and holding his staff in front of him.

Apprentice Magician
DEF / 800
LV 2

Magical Citadel of Endymion
Spell Counters: 8

Arcane Barrier
Spell Counters: 1

"My turn," said Rainbow Dash. "During my Standby Phase, I play the Trap Card 'Gem-Flash Energy.' During each of my Standby Phases, this hits you with three hundred points of damage for each Continuous Spell on my field." The three massive crystals on Dash's field flashed with light. Three bursts of light erupted from them and struck Paradox in the body and shoulders.

Player: Paradox
LP: 3100
Hand: 4

"Hey, Twilight," Dash said. "What's that 'Arcane Barrier' card do again?"

"It gains Spell Counters whenever a Spellcaster is destroyed," Twilight answered.

"Doesn't it also let you draw cards?"

"Yes it does."

"That's what I thought. Battle! Amber Mammoth, attack Apprentice Magician!"

"Dash, what are you doing?!"

"Helping!"

Amber Mammoth ran at Twilight's monster and headbutt it. Apprentice Magician was destroyed, but left a small glowing light behind. It raced over to the hologram of the "Arcane Barrier" card and bean to circle it. After that, another Apprentice Magician appeared on the field kneeling with his arms crossed in front of him.

"When Apprentice Magician is destroyed by battle, I can Special Summon a Level Two or below Spellcaster from my deck in Defense Mode," said Twilight.

"I know!" said Rainbow Dash excitedly. "Sapphire Pegasus, attack the new Apprentice Magician!"

A blue whirlwind appeared above Sapphire Pegasus' horn. It lowered its horn, bringing the whirlwind down like a sword onto Twilight's monster, destroying it like the last one. Another light appeared and began circling "Arcane Barrier," and a third Apprentice Magician took its comrade's place.

"I end my turn!" said Rainbow Dash.

"Rainbow Dash, you just plowed through what might have been my best shot at defending myself," Twilight said with a glare.

"Twi, my Element of Harmony is loyalty," Dash replied. "Just trust me when I say I helped you out, okay?"

"My turn!" said Paradox. "I reveal the Continuous Trap 'Corrupt Reload.' When it's activated, I place three 'Dark Ammo' counters on it. Once per turn, during my Main Phase One, I can remove one of these counters and reveal my hand for the rest of the turn, then shuffle all monsters, Spells, or Traps in my hand back into my deck, then draw the same number of cards I returned." Paradox revealed his hand. Giant holograms of each card appeared above him. Three were Spells, one was "Malefic Compass Gear", and the last was the Trap Card "Malefic Claw Stream." The three Spells vanished as Paradox returned them to his deck and his Duel Disk shuffled it. He then drew three new cards. Two were monsters, and the third was the Spell "Malefic Greed."

"I send 'Blue-Eyes White Dragon' from my deck and 'Black-Winged Dragon' from my Extra Deck to the Graveyard and Special Summon their Malefic counterparts from my hand!" Paradox announced. The monsters emerged from the holograms of their cards and spread their armored wings, roaring as they did.

Malefic Blue-Eyes White Dragon
ATK / 3000
LV 8

Malefic Black-Winged Dragon
ATK / 2800
LV 8

"Pretty impressive for knockoffs!" shouted Rainbow Dash. Paradox glared at her. "Oh, you want some of this? Come and get me, tough guy!"

"Interesting. Battle! Malefic Blue-Eyes, attack Sapphire Pegasus with Burst Stream of Destruction!" Paradox ordered. The masked dragon inhaled and spat out a white stream of crackling energy, aiming it at the great pegasus.

"Amber Mammoth's effect activates!" Dash shouted. "When another 'Crystal Beast' is attacked, I can change the attack to Amber Mammoth!" Amber Mammoth bellowed and ran in front of the oncoming blast.

Amber Mammoth trumpeted and ran headlong into the oncoming energy blast. It was obliterated in seconds. The blast continued on and struck Rainbow Dash. She tumbled through the air for a moment, then spread her wings and stopped herself with a few flaps.

Player: Rainbow Dash
LP: 2700
Hand: 3

"Fell for it!" Dash laughed.

Twilight's face lit up with understanding. "If he'd focused his attacks on me, I'd have lost," she noted. "Thank you, Rainbow."

"What are friends for?"

"My turn is not finished," Paradox interrupted. "Malefic Black-Winged Dragon, attack Apprentice Magician with Noble Stream!"

"Too little, too late," said Twilight. Her last Apprentice Magician faded away in a red and black stream of energy, but human boy in tattered clothing holding a scythe with a dramatically curved blade appeared in his place.

Night's End Sorcerer
DEF / 400
LV 2

"When 'Night's End Sorcerer' is Special Summoned, I can remove up to two monsters in my opponent's Graveyard from the game. I choose 'Malefic Cyberdark Dragon' and 'Blue-Eyes White Dragon!' You won't be using their power again!"

"Malefic Remnant Dragon, destroy Night's End Sorcerer," Paradox continued. A spiral of blue electricity destroyed Twilight's monster in an instant. "I Set one card and end my turn."

"It's times like this when I really shine as a duelist, Paradox," said Twilight. "You should've taken me out when you had the chance. But I guess you never really learned anything from the three Legendary Duelists, did you?"

Paradox said nothing.

"My turn!" Twilight shouted, using magic to swipe a card from the top of her deck.

/*********************\

Next time on Dueling is Magic! Many Futures

Twilight's hand is replenished and she begins a major comeback assault on Paradox's field! But Paradox is far from finished as he confronts the two ponies with Malefic Truth Dragon! Twilight's anger rises even further, but is it really justified anymore?

"Twilight, you've gotta forgive him!"

Chapter 43

Inner Peace

/*********************\

Featured Card

Malefic Remnant Dragon
DARK
Level 9
Dragon/Synchro/Effect
1 "Malefic" Tuner + 1 non-Tuner "Malefic" monster
While this Synchro Summoned card is face-up, its owner's opponent cannot conduct their Main Phase 2. During your opponent's Main Phase 1 or Battle Phase: You can Special Summon 1 "Malefic Remnant Dragon" from your Extra Deck in Attack Position (this Special Summon is treated as a Synchro Summon). (This is a Quick Effect.) You must control exactly 1 "Malefic Remnant Dragon" to activate and to resolve this effect. If this Synchro Summoned card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target this card's Tuner Synchro Material Monster in your Graveyard; return this card to the Extra Deck, and if you do, add that target to your hand. When this card is destroyed, if there are 3 "Malefic Remnant Dragons" in the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 "Malefic Paradox Dragoon" from your Extra Deck (this Special Summon is treated as a Synchro Summon).
ATK/3000
DEF/3000

Author's Note:

I'm BACK, baby! This entire duel has already been outlined, so I need only write the next chapter. The next duel to be showcased after this will be the much anticipated Jack vs. Crow rematch! And THAT is gonna be a great duel, if I do say so myself. It's completely outlined, no changes needed, and the duel itself will also reveal a MAJOR plot point!

Let's talk about this duel, though. Malefic Remnant Dragon borrows the "Time Remnant" concept featured prominently in (SPOILERS!) season 2 of the CW's The Flash. While the show explains their existence as Speedsters who are protected from the effects of time travel by the Speed Force, I've opted for a slightly different approach, stemming back to the explanation of Paradox's return in my previous story "Dueling is Magic: A Rip in Time". You'll notice that Remnant Dragon makes good use of this same concept, able to summon another copy of itself while partly- but not completely- resetting the gamestate.

As for its appearance, I had the biggest case of writer's block trying to figure this out. I just couldn't get a clear picture in my head. I knew it would be a wyvern, like Paradox's other original dragons (Paradox Dragon, Truth Dragon, and the Singularity Dragon that I created), but beyond that, I couldn't see it. At first I thought it had a white body, but then I got to thinking: I'm borrowing an idea from The Flash, right? Why not model the thing after Zoom? So I did. I think it turned out rather well.

Remember, folks: Paradox is using the ANIME versions of existing Malefic cards. This means they don't have the real-life restrictions, such as only allowing 1 "Malefic" on the field at a time.

PreviousChapters Next