• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 4,442 Views, 633 Comments

Dueling is Magic! Many Futures - Wolfgang



When a man called the Black King threatens the balance across dimensions, Twilight and her friends must travel to Neo Domino City and battle for the fate of all worlds!

  • ...
10
 633
 4,442

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 19: Conviction

Dueling is Magic!
Many Futures

Chapter Nineteen
Conviction

/*********************\

If it wasn’t the incessant whining of the fan in the ventilations, it was that Twilight would keep such an important secret from her friends. Rarity snorted and cut off her magic, dropping the three folders that levitated around her.

“Having trouble concentrating?” came a voice behind her. Rarity turned around.

“Director Yeager!” she said. Her horn lit back up and papers began sliding into the folders that lay on the floor. “Oh, I’m so sorry for the mess. Yes, it’s been a trying day today.”

“It has been for all of us,” said the short man. Rarity had not noticed before, but he was indeed shorter than most humans she met. She didn’t have to look up to make eye contact.

“I take it that a lot has been on your mind?” Yeager said.

“Yes, well, with everything that’s happened to us lately,” Rarity began, “visiting another world, getting caught up in a war, finding out Twilight was keeping such a terrible secret from all of us-” The fan in the vent made a slow grinding sound before speeding up again. Rarity flinched.

“That can’t be helping you with your work,” Yeager said with a glance up to the vent. “I’ll find an available mechanic to fix that fan.”

“I do appreciate that, Director, thank you,” Rarity said.

“In the meantime, perhaps you should take a break?” Yeager suggested. “Come, walk with me.”

“That’s... kind of you, but I just started on-”

“If you just started, then you can afford to take a break now. It will still be there when you get back.”

“I... suppose...”

“And if you’d like some help, you have only to ask. Now, come with me to my office. I have some tea brewing.”

*****

“Would you like some sugar in your tea, Rarity?” Yeager asked. He held up a small bowl filled with sugar cubes.

“Yes please,” said Rarity. “One lump is fine.”

Yeager dropped the cube into the hot drink. It made a soft blip. He then stirred it carefully and brought the tray over to the table on the opposite side of the room where Rarity sat. He set the tray down and Rarity picked up her mug using magic. She took a sip and sighed.

“Delightful,” she said. “What sort of tea is this?”

“A simple white tea,” said Yeager. “Baby tea leaves that are plucked when they are just right.”

“It seems our worlds have more in common than any of us realized,” Rarity said. “White tea is a personal favorite of mine back home.”

“Is it now?” Yeager said as he sat in a chair next to the table.

“Oh yes,” said Rarity. “I try to immerse myself in many kinds of culture, tea included. White tea has a smooth and gentle flavor. I find that a small amount of sugar helps to bring it out.”

“Many people I have served tea to always ask for two or even three lumps of sugar,” said Yeager. “They do not appreciate the finer tastes of tea as you obviously do, my dear.”

“Thank you,” said Rarity.

They sat in silence for several minutes, simply sipping their tea. At last, Rarity spoke.

“Director-”

“Yeager is fine, Rarity.”

“Of course. Yeager,” she began again, “could I ask you for some advice?’

“About your situation with Twilight?” Yeager asked. Rarity nodded. Yeager set his tea down on a saucer. “You want to forgive her for keeping that secret, don’t you?”

“Of course I do,” Rarity said. “But what that secret was... it just makes it hard. Duel Monsters Spirits are our own kind! How can she continue to use them like that?”

“Rarity, Twilight also had to explain herself to me and the rest of the council. Most of us wish to forgive her of the secrecy and move on. Even she wishes to help. We learned many things in that meeting, and there are still more questions besides. We are not yet ready to send Twilight out into the field again, but I believe that she never meant any harm in keeping that secret.

“As I said, we learned many things from her and Spike. I believe that you should speak with the two of them as well. Talk to them about this. You’ll see how you can forgive them.”

“I suppose.” Rarity took another sip of her tea. “Friends talk about their problems and forgive each other, right? I suppose I should tell Twilight how I feel about all of this.”

“Why don’t you take the rest of the day off to do that?” said Yeager. “Don’t worry about the details, I’ll sort them out. You go talk with your friends.”

“Thank you, Yeager,” said Rarity. She set her cup down on the saucer in front of her and turned to leave the room.

“Before you go, Rarity,” said Yeager. Rarity stopped and looked over her shoulder. Yeager continued, “Return here. I’ll have a new assignment waiting for you.”

*****

Twilight and Spike closed their books at the same time. They sighed at the same time. They looked at each other and new exactly what the other was thinking.

They had found nothing.

“Next books?” said Spike dejectedly.

“No, I think we’ve read enough for now,” said Twilight. “Let’s go to the mess hall and see if Pinkie can whip something up for us.”

“Good idea,” said Spike.

There was a knock at the door, followed by a creaking of hinges. Rarity stood beyond the threshold of the room.

“Rarity!” said Twilight. “What are you doing here?”

“I came to talk,” the white unicorn replied.

“I don’t have to ask about what, do I?”

Rarity shook her head. Twilight sighed.

“Come on in.” Rarity entered and slowly shut the door behind her with magic.

“Twilight, I just want to ask you something,” said Rarity. “Why did you keep that secret from all of us?”

“I thought I told you,” said Twilight calmly. “Princess Celestia asked me not to say anything. She didn’t think any of you would take it well.”

“That’s not what I asked,” said Rarity.

“Then what-” Twilight stopped. It dawned on her. “You want to know why I went along with it.” Rarity nodded. Twilight looked down. “Because... I thought she was right.”

“And the princess was right, huh?” said Spike.

“It doesn’t matter if she was, Spike,” Rarity said. “What matters is how Twilight felt about keeping this secret from her friends. Twilight, do you really have so little faith in us?”

“It’s not that, Rarity! It’s not that at all! I wanted to keep you girls from getting hurt! Especially Rainbow Dash... I watched her duel with Jack over and over for a whole week because I thought I saw something, something that I saw when she first dueled Yusei.”

“What was it?” asked Spike.

“Joy,” said Twilight. “Dash was overjoyed. She wouldn’t admit to feeling that much happiness, especially like that, but I saw it. She loves dueling just like she loves flying. If she didn’t already have a Cutie mark... We didn’t have time for a talk at first, but after watching her duel with Jack...” Twilight sighed again and shook her head. “I couldn’t do that to her, Rarity. I just couldn’t.”

“Twilight... I had no idea,” said Rarity.

“And when I found out she just manifested a Duel Disk that day, I started hoping that I could bring all of you into the world of Duel Monsters too,” Twilight continued. “But then I remembered Celestia’s secret and I felt even more guilty.”

“Twilight, dear, how did you feel when Celestia first told you this?” Rarity asked.

“Me? I... well, honestly, I... I was curious. I wanted to know what happened. But then, when I started really thinking about it... and after my duel with Celestia and Luna and the strategy that I had to use to hold them off... I felt awful!” Twilight through her forelegs around Rarity’s neck and started crying. “Endymion was getting destroyed every other turn and I just kept bringing him back! I kept trying and trying to fight back, but they had an answer to everything, and Endymion just kept taking the hits for me! Up until Spike found out what he did in that black book, I was having nightmares! I kept ordering Endymion off to battle and he just kept... looking at me. And he was so sad!”

Twilight sobbed for some time. Rarity stroked her friend’s mane while Spike placed a clawed hand on her side. After a while, Twilight’s tears stopped flowing as much and she was sniffling less and less. She stepped back and sat on her haunches.

“Better?” Rarity asked.

“Yeah,” said Twilight as she wiped a tear from her cheek. “Thanks, Rarity. I guess... I guess I needed that too.”

“Sometimes, all anypony needs is a good cry,” said Rarity. “Goodness knows I’ve had my fair share.”

“Everything’s gonna be fine, Twilight,” said Spike.

“Yeah... yeah, you’re right,” said Twilight. “So... Rarity, um... does this mean you-”

“Forgive you?” Rarity finished. “Of course I do, darling.”

“Thank you so much,” said Twilight.

Rarity smiled and sat down in front of Twilight. “Now, you said something that Spike had found something,” Rarity said. “What was it?”

Twilight sniffed a little. Spike stepped up beside them and said, “I got this Twilight.” He turned to Rarity. “Well, thing is, I tried to tell you guys the other night when the fight happened, but better late than never, I guess. See, yesterday I learned that Duel Monsters Spirits are actually born from the souls of the humans. But that was after I learned that the same thing happens with duelists in our world.”

“You mean... the Duel Monsters are created from our hearts?” Rarity asked.

“Yeah,” said Spike. “The guy I met in the book said that we don’t fight with soldiers. We fight with our souls. In a duel, every monster we summon isn’t separate from us. They’re part of us.”

“That’s why Rainbow Dash enjoys dueling so much,” said Twilight. “Just like when she’s flying, she gets to show her soul to the world when she does.”

“There’s more,” said Spike. “But... well, it has to do with Nightshroud. And I think everypony should hear it. Especially Rainbow Dash.”

“Anything to do with Nightshroud is something she won’t like, darling,” said Rarity.

“I know,” the dragon replied. “But there’s something about what my guide told me. It’s been bugging me for a while, but I think I’ve almost got it figured out.”

“Well, I suppose we’ll all have to hear it,” Rarity said.

“I still have to talk to Applejack and Fluttershy,” said Twilight through another sniffle. “Applejack won’t come talk to me out of pride. And Fluttershy is, well, Fluttershy. I’ve got to go to them myself.”

“What about Pinkie Pie?” Rarity asked.

“Pinkie didn’t get mad at me,” said Twilight. “She said she understood that I had to keep it a secret.”

“At least we have that,” said Rarity. “But there’s still Rainbow Dash...”

“I know. But I don’t know how to fix that other than to tell her what Spike just told you. But she might not even be willing to listen!”

“You’ll work it out, dear,” Rarity said. “You always do.”

*****

“Come in!” Yeager called after the knocking at his door had stopped. Rarity pushed her way into his office. “Rarity! How did it go?”

“Twilight and I are alright now,” said the unicorn. “Thank you for the advice, Yeager.”

“Of course, Rarity,” Yeager said. “Do forgive me, though. I hate to dive right into business like this, but with things as they are... it’s about your assignment.”

“Oh, yes. What is it?”

“Twilight seems very much like Yusei was. She’s a strong and intelligent duelist who cares deeply for her friends. Even if there’s a fight, she can bring you back together. I have no doubt that she will mend things with the rest of your friends, but it is Rainbow Dash that is the most important.”

“Why is she the most important?”

“Because of her ability to spontaneously generate a Duel Disk. I’ve asked Twilight to research and replicate that ability. If she succeeds, your assignment will be out in the field once you have a Duel Disk and a deck of your own.”

/*********************\

Next time on Dueling is Magic! Many Futures

Applejack’s long day of work has only just begun, but already it’s made easier when Ushio appears and offers to help. While they work, they begin to talk about what happened between her and Twilight. And it’s then that Twilight appears to win back her friend.

Chapter 20

Heart to Heart

/*********************\

Featured Card

Endymion, the Master Magician
DARK
Level 7
Spellcaster/Effect
You can Special Summon this card (from your hand or Graveyard) by removing 6 Spell Counters from a "Magical Citadel of Endymion" you control. When you do: Target 1 Spell Card in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand. Once per turn: You can discard 1 Spell Card, then target 1 card on the field; destroy that target.
ATK/2700
DEF/1700

Author's Note:

One down, three to go. Twilight's going to have to work hard to win Applejack's trust back. Fluttershy should be interesting to write as well. And as for Rainbow Dash, well... I plan to kick the duels off again with her. Something to look forward to for you guys.

This started off as somewhat difficult to write, but it got easier once Twilight and Rarity actually started talking. I'm glad for that. I've spent so much time writing Twilight lately that I don't know any of the other characters as well. Still, I think I did a decent job with Rarity. I just hope Applejack and Fluttershy turn out okay as well.

PreviousChapters Next