• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 4,442 Views, 633 Comments

Dueling is Magic! Many Futures - Wolfgang



When a man called the Black King threatens the balance across dimensions, Twilight and her friends must travel to Neo Domino City and battle for the fate of all worlds!

  • ...
10
 633
 4,442

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 6: A Duel of Trust: Rainbow Dragon vs. Red Dragon Archfiend!

Dueling is Magic!

Many Futures

Chapter Six
A Duel of Trust: Rainbow Dragon vs. Red Dragon Archfiend!

/*********************\

Twilight stepped up beside Rainbow Dash. “Dash, are you sure about this?” she asked. “We don’t need to be fighting against our new allies. Jack, you understand, don’t you?”

“You are not allies to me until you prove yourselves as such,” said Jack.

The man with the scar stood up. “I think I know what Jack’s getting at,” he said. “My name is Ushio. I knew Yusei. I first met him almost four years ago. I was a cop back then, and I wasn’t a nice one. In fact, the first time I met Yusei, I thought he was a criminal just because he lived in Satellite. I even thought he stole the D-Wheel he was riding. He challenged me to a duel, betting his freedom. Just before we started, he told me that he didn’t trust Security, but he also said he trusted duelists. Since I accepted his challenge, he said he’d trust me.”

“So Jack won’t trust us until after the duel?” asked Twilight.

“Not quite,” Jack answered. “If it’s a good duel, I will trust you.”

“Then what’re we waiting for? Let’s go!” said Rainbow Dash.

Jack nodded. “Follow me,” he said as he walked through the door.

*****

“Cool!” said Rainbow Dash. “Is this your D-Wheel?”

“It is,” said Jack. “The Volcanic Wheel of Fortune. Few things are faster than this without an Overboost System.”

“I bet I can beat it!” said Rainbow Dash with a sneer. Jack snorted and strapped his helmet on, then sat down inside the gigantic wheel. The engine roared to life and Jack’s D-Wheel screeched out of the garage, with Rainbow Dash in hot pursuit.

“Dash, wait!” shouted Twilight. “I have to make a Duel Disk for you!”

But Dash was already outside, chasing after Jack.

Aki and Luna came up behind Twilight. “Come to the mess hall,” said Aki. “We’ll grab some food and watch the duel from there.”

“But Rainbow Dash doesn’t have a Duel Disk,” said Twilight. “I have to make one for her!”

“Oh,” said Aki. “Well, let’s head to the comcenter and contact Jack. Luna, why don’t you show everyone else to the mess hall and get them some food?”

“Okay,” said Luna.

*****

Jack sped along the deserted road, swerving around the occasional abandoned car and truck. Rainbow Dash appeared beside him, flapping her wings quickly.

“There’s a Duel Highway about half a mile from here,” said Jack. “The first one through the gate takes the first turn.”

“Sounds good to me!” said Rainbow Dash.

She and Jack twisted and swerved along the road. Dash knew she could outfly him easily with all the curves along the road, but she decided that wouldn’t be fair or nearly as fun.

Jack began to speed up. Dash looked up and saw a gateway that led to a thin strip of highway surrounded by curved panes of glass. “That must be the gate he was talking about,” Dash muttered. She flapped her wings harder and matched his speed.

Jack glanced over at her and gasped. “Impossible!” he said. “How are you going that fast on just wings?!”

“I can go a lot faster than this!” said Dash. She rose higher in the air and pushed herself ahead of Jack. Suddenly there was an explosion. A rainbow circle stretched out where Dash had been and another rainbow trailed behind her. She descended to the road, following its winding path and launched herself through the gate.

Dash slowed down and let Jack catch up to her.

“Ladies first!” she said with a laugh. “Oh man, you should see your face!”

“Jack, come in,” came a voice. Aki and Twilight appeared on the monitor inside Jack’s D-Wheel.

“Aki? What is it?” Jack asked.

“You two will have to come back for a few minutes,” said Twilight. “Dash doesn’t have a Duel Disk, so I’ll have to make one for her.”

“What are you talking about?” said Jack. “Of course she has a Duel Disk. I’m looking right at it!”

Rainbow Dash looked at her left front leg. A Duel Disk shaped like her outstretched wing had appeared on her arm. The deck rested in a slot on the far side of her hoof. Five cards rested in a groove on the side of the disk. An angled eyepiece made with pale blue glass had appeared over her left eye. The frame looped over her head and around her ear. A tiny image of Twilight appeared on the glass.

“But... how?” said Twilight. “Rainbow Dash, how do you have a Duel Disk?”

“I dunno,” she said. “I did a sonic rainboom to get past Jack and the next thing I knew, there it was.”

“I want to have a look at that Duel Disk- and you- when you get back,” said Twilight.

“Yeah, sure,” said Dash.

“Enough talk!” shouted Jack. “I’m Settting on the Field Spell ‘Speed World 2’! Turbo Duel! Accelerate!”

Life Point Count
Rainbow Dash: 4000
Jack Atlas: 4000

“I beat you on the track,” said Dash as she placed her right hoof over her deck, “so I go first! My turn!” As she pulled her hoof away, a card from the top of her deck followed it, surrounded by a faint gold light.

“Must be some kind of magic,” she muttered. “I Summon ‘Crystal Beast Emerald Tortoise’ in Defense Mode.” A giant tortoise appeared beside Rainbow Dash. He was very old and his skin wrinkled. Giant emerald crystals were growing out of the shell on his back.

Crystal Beast Emerald Tortoise
DEF/2000
LV 4

“I Set two cards face-down and end my turn,” Dash said. “Okay, Jack, come at me with everything you’ve got!”

“With gusto,” said Jack. “My turn!”

*****

Luna walked into the mess hall, followed by four brightly colored ponies and a tiny, purple dragon. The room instantly became silent.

“Um... hi?” said Pinkie. No response.

“Everyone,” said Luna, “these are our new friends. They’ve come from another world to help us fight the Black King.”

Still no response.

Yeager appeared beside Luna. He cleared his throat and began to speak. “I recognize that, given recent events, there will be a measure of distrust among you for our new visitors,” he said. “However, one of their number has already saved us from another raid by Dark Troopers. Furthermore, I believe that any remaining doubts will soon be dispelled by this duel!” Yeager swept his hand into the air, pointing it at the gigantic monitor on the wall.

“It’s Jack!” came several voices in the room. “And he’s dueling one of those things!”

“My turn!” shouted Jack’s image on the monitor. The image of the highway was replaced for a moment by an image that indicated the Speed Counters of the two duelists.

Speed Counters
Rainbow Dash: 1
Jack Atlas: 1

“I Summon ‘Power Breaker’ in Attack Mode!” said Jack. A humanoid figure wearing dark brown armor and a tattered yellow cape emerged from a blue portal in the air. A blue robe was wrapped around his waist, and sharp blades were mounted on thick braces on his forearms.

Power Breaker
ATK/1900
LV 4

“What’s he gonna do?” said Dash. “It’s not like he can get over my Emerald Tortoise!”

“Battle! Power Breaker, attack Emerald Tortoise! Power Slash!” said Jack. The armored warrior dashed through the air, swinging its right blade at the shell of the tortoise. The blade struck one of the emerald crystals on its back and Power Breaker was thrown backwards.

Life Point Count
Jack Atlas: 3900

“What’re you doing?” asked Rainbow Dash. “You knew you wouldn’t win!”

“When a Warrior-Type monster I control battles a monster but fails to destroy it, I can Special Summon the Tuner monster ‘Sword Master’ from my hand!” Jack replied. Another blue portal opened and a human dashed through. He wore a pair of short punjabi pants, gold boots, and a crimson vest lined on the inside with fur. A blue mask covered the lower half of his face, and on the top of his head rested a blue turban with a single white feather on the front, held in place by a large red jewel. In each of the man’s hands was a long, thin, curved sword.

Sword Master
ATK/1200
LV 3

“A Tuner, huh?” said Rainbow Dash.

“I Set two cards face-down and end my turn,” said Jack. Two giant cards appeared face-down on either side of Jack’s D-wheel, then vanished. “Now, show me your Duel, Rainbow Dash!”

“Jack’s setting up his field for Red Dragon Archfiend,” said Luna. “Your friend’s in a lot of trouble if he summons it.”

“Rainbow Dash will be fine!” said Pinkie Pie. “She’s pretty strong herself!”

“But not as strong as Yusei,” said Fluttershy.

“Well, yeah, I guess,” Pinkie conceded.

*****

“My turn!” said Rainbow Dash.

Speed Counters
Rainbow Dash: 2
Jack Atlas: 2

“I Summon ‘Crystal Beast Sapphire Pegasus’!” said Rainbow Dash. A fully grown horse appeared on the field, flying on outstretched wings, its sapphire horn gleaming in the sunlight.

Crystal Beast Sapphire Pegasus
ATK/1800
LV 4

“When Sapphire Pegasus is Summoned, I can put a ‘Crystal Beast’ in my hand, Deck, or Graveyard into my Spell Zones as a Continuous Spell Card,” said Rainbow Dash. “So I’ll choose-”

“I activate the Continuous Trap ‘Fiendish Chain’!” Jack interrupted her. One of his face-down cards reappeared and flipped up on its edge. “This targets one Effect Monster on the field, negating its effects and preventing it from attacking.” Green chains shot out of the card’s artwork and raced toward Dash’s monster.

“Counter Trap, ‘Trap Strap’, activate!” said Rainbow Dash. “When you activate a Trap Card, it Sets back on the field when it resolves, and I can Special Summon a ‘Crystal Beast’ from my hand or deck. From my hand, I Special Summon ‘Crystal Beast Amethyst Cat’!”

A new monster appeared next to Dash, a pink-furred cat wearing an ornamental chest piece, two gold wings flaring beside a purple amethyst.

Crystal Beast Amethyst Cat
ATK/1200
LV 3

The green chains that streaked toward the Sapphire Pegasus found their target, wrapping around its neck, wings and legs. But just as suddenly as they struck, they vanished. The Fiendish Chain card fell back into face-down position.

“Because Fiendish Chain is a Continuous Trap, it must remain face-up to negate the targeted monster’s effects,” said Jack. “Clever thinking.”

“Thanks,” said Rainbow Dash. “Sapphire Pegasus places ‘Crystal Beast Ruby Carbuncle’ in one of my Spell Zones as a Continuous Spell.” A giant ruby appeared behind Rainbow Dash. The form of a cat-like creature rested inside.

“Sapphire Pegasus, attack Sword Master!” Dash said. “Sapphire Tornado!”

The white pegasus rose up to the sky, then dove horn first at Jack’s monster. The horn pierced the man’s chest and he was destroyed.

“Amethyst Cat, now it’s your turn!” said Dash. “Direct Attack!”

“What?!” said Jack. He looked up and saw a cat’s paw slice at his face.

Life Point Count
Jack Atlas: 2700

“What’s the meaning of this?!” Jack roared. “Explain yourself!”

“It’s simple, really,” said Dash with a shrug. “Amethyst Cat can attack you directly, but you only take half the damage if she does it with her effect. Anyway, I’m done attacking for now. Next up, I activate Emerald Tortoise’s effect to switch my Amethyst Cat to Defense Mode. Then I’ll end my turn by throwin’ down a face-down. Your move, Jack.” If I’m right, then this card should work next turn, thought Rainbow Dash. I just hope all that reading pays off!

“Hmph! My turn!” shouted Jack.

Speed Counters
Rainbow Dash: 3
Jack Atlas: 3

“I play the Trap ‘Accel Zone’!” said Rainbow Dash. An explosion sounded off behind Jack, and the cyan pegasus flew off ahead of him, a rainbow trailing behind her. “When you gain Speed Counters except by ‘Speed World’, I can play Accel Zone to gain five Speed Counters!”

“What?!” said Jack. “But I haven’t gained any Speed Counters!”

Rainbow Dash laughed. “You just did, numbskull! ‘Speed World 2’, remember?”

*****

“Of course!” said Twilight.

“What do you mean, Twilight?” asked Aki. “You know how she was able to activate that card? Was it with another effect?”

“No, it wasn’t,” Twilight answered. “Rainbow Dash took advantage of a technicality. ‘Speed World’ and ‘Speed World 2’ are two different cards. Rainbow Dash must have realized this! Talk about flying through a loophole!”

*****

“Of course,” Jack grumbled. “We’re not dueling in the original ‘Speed World’. Fine, keep your Speed Counters! I have absolute power on my side! I summon ‘Dark Bug’ to the field!”

A tangled mass of black cubes emerged onto the field, unfolding several spidery legs.

Dark Bug
ATK/100
LV 1

“When Dark Bug is Normal Summoned, I can Special Summon a Level Three Tuner monster from my Graveyard,” Jack explained. “Come! Sword Master!”

Here it comes, thought Dash.

“Level Three Sword Master, tune with the Level Four Power Breaker, and the Level One Dark Bug!” Jack’s Sword Master vanished, leaving three stars behind. They drew the familiar green rings in the air that soon encircled the man’s other two monsters. Each monster’s body was changed into a bright orange outline that was quickly stripped away, leaving only stars in the rings.

“The pulse of the king now forms a line here! Take witness to its creation-shaking power!” Jack chanted as a beam of green-white light engulfed the stars and rings beside him. Silhouetted claws stretched out and clenched into fists. Wings black against the light flared upward. “I Synchro Summon my very soul, ‘Red Dragon Archfiend’!”

The light faded, revealing a blood-red dragon with three demonic horns atop its head, yellow eyes gleaming in its skull and glaring down at Rainbow Dash. The creature thrust out its chest and gave a mighty, thunderous roar. Rainbow Dash gasped.

Red Dragon Archfiend
ATK/3000
LV 8

“Behold, Rainbow Dash!” shouted Jack as he spun his D-Wheel around to face the tiny pegasus. “Behold its valiant form! This is the mightiest of my servants, and the beast whose claws will crush all who dare cower in the face of the King!”

“I’m not cowering,” said Rainbow Dash, “but I’ve seen that monster before. Paradox used it against Yusei when they were in our world!”

“No doubt a corrupted form, if I remember that thief’s deck correctly,” said Jack. “Today you will witness its true power! Battle! Red Dragon Archfiend, attack Crystal Beast Emerald Tortoise with Absolute Powerforce!”

“I don’t think so, Jack!” said Dash with a smirk. “I activate the Continuous Trap ‘Speed Booster’! As long as my Speed Counters are higher than yours, I can negate as many of your attacks as I want up to the difference in our Speed Counters. And you can bet I’m stopping this one!”

Rainbow Dash rocketed past Jack. A large device had appeared on her back, two rectangular exhausts spewing fire behind her. She flipped onto her back and gave Jack a wave just before the fiery claws of the red dragon blocked her from his view.

“Hmph! I end my turn,” Jack growled, spinning his D-Wheel back around to face the road.

“My turn!” said Rainbow Dash as she drew a card.

Speed Counters
Rainbow Dash: 9
Jack Atlas: 4

Okay, let’s see here, thought the small pegasus. I’m still two Crystal Beasts away from getting my own dragon on the field. If I use this guy, I can get those last two Crystal Beasts out of my deck with Sapphire and this Speed Spell... but Jack’s still got that Trap of his that negates effects!

Hey, that’s an idea... Jack’s getting kinda low on Life points, so I don’t think he’ll wanna take much more damage. Maybe I can bait him out! If I do that, then I can get those last two Crystal Beasts next turn. After that, I’ll just have to wait for Jack to try and attack again. But I’ve still got Speed Booster, so he might not try it... maybe I can talk him into it. Alright, let’s do this!

“I switch Amethyst Cat to Attack Mode and attack you directly!” shouted Dash.

“I activate Fiendish Chain to stop your attack and negate Amethyst Cat’s effects!” Jack replied.

“I was hoping you would do that,” said Dash. “I summon ‘Crystal Beast Cobalt Eagle’ in Defense Mode.” Dash’s new monster was a large, brown eagle with a long, orange plume trailing along its back. A brown chest piece with cobalt stones hung from its neck. Two cobalt stones rested on the joints of the bird’s wings.

Crystal Beast Cobalt Eagle
DEF/800
LV 4

“I activate Cobalt Eagle’s effect. Once per turn, I can put a ‘Crystal Beast’ card I control on top of my deck. Sapphire Pegasus, I’ll see you next turn.” The white horse vanished from the field in twinkling light.

“I’ve got one more thing to do before I end my turn,” said Rainbow Dash. “I activate Speed Booster’s second effect! If it’s my turn and I have more Speed Counters than you, I can hit you with a hundred points of damage times the difference in our Speed Counters! I’ve still got five Speed Counters over you, Jack, so that’s five hundred damage!”

Five rockets launched out of the top of the device on Rainbow Dash’s back and struck the ground around Jack. The human swerved to avoid each strike, but was still struck by the force of the explosions.

“My turn!” shouted Jack.

Speed Counters
Rainbow Dash: 10
Jack Atlas: 5

“Let me show you what real damage looks like! I activate the effect of Speed World 2!” Jack yelled. “By paying four Speed Counters and revealing all Speed Spells in my hand, you take eight hundred damage times the number of cards I revealed! I’m currently holding only one ‘Speed Spell’ card, but eight hundred damage is plenty!”

Bolts of electricity shot out of Jack’s headlights and hit Rainbow Dash’s wings. The pony yelped and fell, but caught herself before she hit the road, flapping her wings to regain altitude.

Life Point Count
Rainbow Dash: 3200
Jack Atlas: 2200

“I Set three cards face-down,” said Jack. “Your move, Rainbow Dash.”

Speed Counters
Rainbow Dash: 11
Jack Atlas: 2

Dash drew her card. “I summon Sapphire Pegasus again and place ‘Crystal Beast Topaz Tiger’ in the Spell Zone,” she said. A giant topaz crystal appeared above the road, trailing behind Rainbow Dash. “Alright, time to take the fight to you, Jack! I play ‘Speed Spell - Power Baton’! By sending a monster from my deck to the Graveyard, one of my monsters on the field gains its Attack Points until the end of the next Damage Step! I send ‘Crystal Beast Amber Mammoth’ to the Graveyard. Sapphire Pegasus, feel the power of Amber Mammoth!”

Crystal Beast Sapphire Pegasus
ATK/3500
LV 4

“Sapphire Pegasus, attack Red Dragon Archfiend with Sapphire Tornado!” The white pegasus rose into the sky and dive bombed at the red dragon, its horn gleaming in the sunlight.

“Trap Card, ‘Prideful Roar’, activate!” Jack countered. “By paying Life Points equal to the difference in our monsters’ Attack Points, during this battle, Red Dragon Archfiend gains that difference in Attack Points, plus three hundred extra points to go with it!”

Red Dragon Archfiend
ATK/3800
LV 8

Red Dragon Archfiend roared at the skies, then reached its clawed hand out to its approaching foe. The dragon’s fingers became engulfed in flames as they closed around the white horse, crushing it.

“Sapphire Pegasus!” cried Rainbow Dash. A torrent of flames struck her and she tumbled toward the glass sides of the road. Her hooves made contact and she moved to run before jumping back into the air. A giant sapphire had appeared in the row of jewels behind her.

Life Point Count
Rainbow Dash: 2900
Jack Atlas: 1700

*****

“You’ll pay for doing that to Sapphire!” shouted the on-screen Dash.

Applejack whistled. “Been awhile since I seen her that angry,” said the orange pony.

“I hope she calms down,” said Fluttershy.

“She is calm, dear,” said Rarity. The other ponies, Spike and Luna looked at her in confusion.

“What’re you talking about, Rarity?” asked Spike.

“Yeah! She’s got smoke pouring out of her ears!” Pinkie chimed in.

“Exaggerations aside, look at the corner of her mouth, the way her eyes are slanted,” Rarity said pointing her hoof at the screen.

“I activate Speed Booster’s effect!” shouted Dash. “We’re nine Speed Counters apart, so you’ll be taking nine hundred points of damage!”

Nine missiles erupted out of the device on the pony’s back and raced toward Jack.

“I don’t think so!” Jack sneered. “Counter Trap, ‘Crimson Fire’! When you activate an effect that deals damage while I have a monster whose Attack Points are higher than that damage, that damage is doubled and turned on you instead of me!”

Red Dragon Archfiend opened its jaws and snapped them shut around all nine missiles. Each projectile exploded in the dragon’s mouth, fire lapping at its curled lips from between its teeth. The creature drew its head back, then threw it forward with maw opened wide, spewing a torrent of fire onto Rainbow Dash. Dash flew upward to avoid the hit, but was struck anyway. She spun around, diving over the edge of the road. The waters below were approaching fast. She raised her head and flared her wings, speeding horizontally over the surface of the water. She turned and flew under the thin strip of road, rising into the sky on the other side.

“It’ll take a lot more than that to bring me down, Jack!” shouted the pegasus.

“So I see!” Jack replied with a grin. “Don’t fall just yet, Rainbow Dash. This is just getting interesting!”

Life Point Count
Rainbow Dash: 1100
Jack Atlas: 1700

“She still don’t look calm, Rarity,” said Applejack. “What exactly are you seein’ that we ain’t?”

“The duel,” said Rarity. “Don’t you remember when she fought Yusei? She used a lot of the same tactics against him that we’re seeing now. But she made a mistake then and Yusei quickly figured out what she was doing and prepared for it. This time, it’s different. And now all the cards are in place.”

“You care to connect those dots for us, sugar cube?” Applejack asked.

Rarity sighed. “Rainbow Dash has all seven Crystal Beasts either on the field or in her Graveyard!” she said. “She’s getting ready to summon her own Ace monster, but she doesn’t want Jack to figure it out just yet. The attacks, the anger, those are just ploys to distract him! The real goal of this turn was to finish assembling the Crystal Beasts.”

“She did that by putting Topaz Tiger into her Spell Zone...” said Fluttershy.

“...and Amber Mammoth in her Graveyard!” said Spike.

“Exactly,” said Rarity. “Now, let’s see if she can keep it up...”

*****

Okay, Dash, the Pegasus thought. Jack’s already started countering my moves, which means he’s about ready to mount a counterattack. That’ll be when I shut him down and get the last card I need! I just need one card... “I activate the effect of Speed World 2! I pay seven Speed Counters to draw one card.” Dash drew her card, quickly glanced at it, then smiled. “I Set a card face-down and switch Amethyst Cat to Defense Mode,” she said. “That’ll do for now.”

“My turn!” Jack roared as he drew a card.

Speed Counters
Rainbow Dash: 5
Jack Atlas: 3

“Red Dragon Archfiend, attack Emerald Tortoise with Absolute Powerforce!” Jack ordered. Fire and claws descended toward the gem-encrusted shell on Dash’s field.

“I activate Speed Booster’s effect!” said Rainbow Dash. “Since my Speed Counters are higher, I can negate your attack!” Rainbow Dash spun around and shot off toward the claws of Jack’s dragon, the device on her back propelling her forward.

“That’s where you’re wrong, Rainbow Dash!” shouted Jack. “I play the Trap Card ‘Overpower’! When a card effect would negate an attack, Overpower negates its activation and destroys that card!”

The claws dipped and swiped upward, catching Rainbow Dash and destroying the machine on her back. Dash screamed as she tumbled through the air.

“Red Dragon Archfiend, continue your assault!” Jack ordered.

“Not so fast, Jack!” said Dash. “I’ve got a Trap of my own: ‘Rainbow Path’! I send Crystal Beast Ruby Carbuncle in my Spell Zone to the Graveyard to negate your attack and add ‘Rainbow Dragon’ from my deck to my hand!”

The giant ruby behind Rainbow Dash exploded and created a wall of red shards that blocked the red dragon’s attack. When the shards vanished, Rainbow Dash remained, hovering in the air and smirking.

Got it! she thought.

“I am not finished yet, Rainbow Dash,” said Jack. “I activate ‘Speed Spell - Overboost’ to increase my Speed Counters by four. Next, I activate the effect of Speed World 2, paying seven Speed Counters to draw one card. I Set a card and end my turn. During the End Phase, Overboost changes the number of my Speed Counters to one.”

“So you dropped your Speed Counters to zero, and then went right back up to one,” said Dash. “Clever. My turn!”

Speed Counters
Rainbow Dash: 6
Jack Atlas: 2

“Unfortunately for me, I can’t draw because of the Power Baton I played last turn,” said Dash. “But it’s fine because I’ve got this bad boy! All seven Crystal Beasts are either on my field or in my Graveyard, Jack! So lemme show you what they can do when they come together! I Special Summon ‘Rainbow Dragon’!”

An aurora appeared overhead, multi colored sheets of light waving in the sunlight. Specks of color danced along the surface of the road and a massive white dragon descended from within the aurora, roaring loudly.

Rainbow Dragon
ATK/4000
LV 10

“Rainbow Dragon,” said Jack, “a Duel Monster of legend. I thought only one copy existed. I never imagined that someone from another dimension would have it.”

“That’s not all I’ve got! You’re low on Life Points, and I’ve got more than enough firepower to win right here! Rainbow Dragon, attack Red Dragon Archfiend! Over the Rainbow!”

The great dragon opened its mouth. A rainbow circle expanded in front of its head as it spat a rainbow beam through its center.

Jack laughed.

“You’re about to lose, Jack!” said Dash. “I don’t see what’s so funny!”

“I am Jack Atlas! I was once the King of the dueling world!” Jack said. “I studied dueling history for days at a time before a match, learning new techniques and strategies, watching recorded duels of legendary duelists! I have seen Rainbow Dragon before, Rainbow Dash. Did you honestly believe that someone who once held such a prestigious position as King would not see right through you?”

“You’ve been playing right into my hooves, bub!” the pegasus snapped.

“Wrong. I saw through your strategy the moment you began assembling the Crystal Beasts. You will not defeat me so easily, Rainbow Dash! I activate the Trap Card ‘Break Tune’! This card lets me Special Summon a Tuner monster from my hand, then negates your attack! Descend, ‘Trust Guardian’!”

A tiny, angelic creature appeared in front of Red Dragon Archfiend. It wore a blue robe and an oversized purple hat with tiny wings on the sides. On its back were two large, white, bird-like wings. The small monster folded its wings in front of itself just before it was struck by the approaching rainbow beam of energy. Rainbow Dragon closed its mouth and ceased its attack.

Trust Guardian
DEF/800
LV 3

“Darn it!” said Dash. Then she grumbled, “I end my turn.”

“My turn!” shouted Jack as he drew a card. “I Summon another Tuner, ‘Attack Gainer’!” A strange warrior wearing a black helmet, gauntlets and boots rushed out of a blue portal.

Attack Gainer
ATK/0
LV 1

“Level One Attack Gainer and Level Three Trust Guardian- gaaaaah!” An explosion sent Jack’s D-Wheel spinning. Rainbow Dash looked behind her and saw four other D-Wheels approaching.

“Oh, this isn’t good,” she said.

TO BE CONTINUED

/*********************\

Next time on Dueling is Magic! Many Futures

Just as Jack was preparing to summon a new monster, the duel is interrupted by a squad of Shadow Troopers on D-Wheels! But this intrusion heralds the return of an old friend... turned traitor.

Chapter 7

A Bitter Reunion

Author's Note:

And you guys get a mondo chapter this time. Nearly five thousand words. I'm gonna try to not do that again.

I actually had two different directions I could have gone with this duel. One was for Dash to use a self-milling Trap to get her Crystal Beasts in the Graveyard and then just summon the dragon outright, but what fun would that have been? Besides, I rather like how this duel played out, even if I decided not to finish it.

As for next chapter, ho-ho! I've got a bit of revealing to do, as well as setting up for future conflicts, so hang on to your horseshoes, folks! This ride's about to get a lot bumpier!

PreviousChapters Next