• Published 5th Apr 2013
  • 4,442 Views, 633 Comments

Dueling is Magic! Many Futures - Wolfgang



When a man called the Black King threatens the balance across dimensions, Twilight and her friends must travel to Neo Domino City and battle for the fate of all worlds!

  • ...
10
 633
 4,442

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 36: Rivalries

Dueling is Magic!
Many Futures

Chapter 36
Rivalries

/*********************\

Rainbow Dash poked a hole in her cloud and peeked through. The streets below were empty and lifeless. She rolled her eyes in disappointment as her Duel Disk disappeared with a flash. She flapped her wings and pushed the cloud back to the alley, slowly so she wouldn’t attract attention. When she made it back, she burst the cloud and landed on the ground in front of her friends.

“You need to be quieter when you land, Rainbow,” said Applejack.

“Whatever,” said Rainbow Dash. “The coast is clear anyway. The nearest Dark Trooper patrol is five blocks away. We should keep moving.”

“I agree with Rainbow Dash,” said Leo. “We need to find food too.”

Applejack’s stomach rumbled in response to the word “food”. “Sounds like a plan,” she said. “But where are we gonna find something to eat when the city’s been abandoned for months?”

“I know this area,” said Leo. “There’s a grocery store about two blocks away from here. Follow me.”

Leo peeked around the corner of the alleyway and then took off running. Luna, Rainbow Dash and Applejack ran after him. It wasn’t long before they reached the grocery store. Leo started to walk toward the door when Luna stopped him.

“Wait a second,” she said. “I just thought of something!”

“What is it?” Leo asked.

“If it’s been a few months since anyone has worked in the store, there’s no telling how much of the food has gone bad,” Luna replied.

“You know they have robots doing a lot of that work now, right?”

“Wait, they do?”

“What’re robots?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“Machines built to do complex tasks,” said Luna. “Leo, how do you know that?”

“We’re in the Daimon Area. I still come here to duel and hang out. Or I did, before the Black King came. But yeah, I used to pop into this store whenever I got hungry. Most of the work shelf work is handled by robots, and you know good food preservation’s gotten in the last three years since Neo Domino City and the Satellite reunited.”

“So, how much of the food will be fresh?” asked Applejack.

“A lot of it, I bet,” Leo said. “Only one way to find out, though.”

“Leo, I still don’t think this is a good idea,” Luna said.

“Come on, Luna!” Leo said as he walked to the door. “What’s the worst that could happen?”

The automatic doors opened and he looked inside. Four Dark Troopers looked up at them.

“Oh,” said Leo. “Crapbaskets.”

* * * * *

Several minutes later

The four companions now found themselves alone in the store. The Dark Troopers were driven off, so they had free reign of the building, but they knew they would have to move soon before more came back.

Applejack sat munching on some fruits and vegetables she had found. Rainbow Dash had opened up a bag of potato chips and was steadily munching on them. Leo and Luna had found a portable stove and some pots, and were using them to make some noodle soup.

“What all are ya puttin’ in that?” asked Applejack.

“Udon noodles, some vegetables, and a few slices of ham,” said Leo.

“What’s ham?” asked Rainbow Dash.

Leo stopped stirring the soup and looked at Luna. “Oh dear,” said Luna. “Um... well....”

“There’s no point in trying to make it sound pretty, Luna,” said Leo with a sigh. “Ham is a kind of meat. It comes from pigs.”

“Wait, WHAT?!” shouted Rainbow Dash.

“Calm yer feathers, Rainbow, it ain’t THAT weird,” said Applejack.

“‘Ain’t that weird’? AJ, don’t you HAVE pigs on your farm?” said Rainbow Dash. “Don’t you talk with them?”

“Pigs talk where you’re from?” asked Leo.

“And a lot of other creatures too,” said Dash. “And you’re telling me you EAT them?”

“They don’t talk here,” said Leo. “They’re just animals. Not that smart. Besides, there have to be some meat-eating animals in your world, right?”

“He’s right, Rainbow,” said Applejack. “I once helped Fluttershy feedin’ her critters. You know what she feeds the otters? Fish. I don’t know how she gets ‘em, and I didn’t ask, but things obviously work different in this world.”

“....I still think it’s freaky,” said Rainbow Dash as she plopped onto her rump and crossed her forelegs in front of her.

“Nopony’s gonna make us eat it,” said Applejack.

“That’s right,” said Luna. “Meat is just something humans need to eat because there are some nutrients that we can’t get from a lot of other places, like proteins. And not all of us eat meat anyway. I’ve met some kids at school who were vegetarian or vegan. They didn’t eat anything that came from animals at all. But not all of us think we should have to give up meat.”

“Whatever,” said Rainbow Dash and she walked off.

“Uh, RD? You forgot yer chips,” Applejack called after her.

“I lost my appetite,” Rainbow Dash replied without looking back.

“Hoo boy,” Applejack said. “She’ll get over it, but she’ll need some time. I’m gonna go see if I can find some bags or somethin’ we can carry more food in.”

“I’ll help,” said Luna. “I should find us some bowls for the soup anyway. Leo, can you handle cooking?”

“‘Course I can,” he said. “Every time you got sick when Mom and Dad were gone, I cooked soup for you, remember?”

“Wait, that was you? I thought you just bought soup at a store and heated it.”

“I’ve got other talents besides dueling, Luna,” said Leo.

Luna smiled and left Leo with the soup.

*****

Leo and Luna sat in fold-out chairs that Luna had found. Applejack was munching on a salad that Leo prepared for her. Rainbow Dash was curled up and ignoring her own salad.

“What’s wrong, Rainbow?” asked Applejack. “Don’t tell me yer still upset about the meat thing.”

Rainbow Dash muttered something.

“Can’t hear ya, Dash,” said Applejack.

“I said, ‘I want to go home,’” Dash said. She sat up and looked at her companions. “I know we were sent here to fix whatever’s wrong so that our world can be safe, but... I didn’t expect this. I mean, I read about the old Equestrian wars, but this is.... I never thought war would be like this.”

“I know,” said Applejack. “I wanna go home too, but we can’t do that yet.”

“It was so peaceful at home,” said Dash. “I miss that. I mean, yeah, there was excitement and I miss that too. I miss my cloud control job. I miss our races. I miss reading about the Wonderbolts in the newspaper. I miss my Daring Do books. I miss all those wild adventures we’d have. There was excitement at home, but there weren’t any wars. And now we’re stuck here. Twilight’s gone. Yusei’s gone. Everypony’s gone. We don’t even know how we’re gonna get home!”

Leo and Luna looked at each other.

“You’ve been thinkin’ about this a lot, haven’t ya, Rainbow?” Applejack asked. Rainbow nodded. “I’m not gonna say you’re over thinkin’- because for you, there’s not enough thinkin’ on your part-”

“Hey!” Dash said indignantly.

“But maybe you’re dwellin’ on it more than you should. Look, I know how you feel. We all do. It’s been a nightmare since we got here, and everything just keeps fallin’ apart no matter how many times we put the pieces together. But we have to keep tryin’, Rainbow. We can’t just give up and go home.”

“Like we can even get home,” Dash muttered. “What does it matter anyway? They’ve got Twilight. Everything’s hopeless now.”

“No it’s not, Rainbow,” Applejack said. “We still got you!”

“So what? I wasn’t there to protect Twilight, and now the Black King has her. We still don’t know anything about this guy either!”

“That guy who took Twilight looked familiar, though,” said Leo. “Wait, I remember now! That was Bruno!”

“Bruno?” asked Applejack.

“He was a friend of ours and part of Team 5D’s,” Luna said. “He helped Yusei figure out how to Accel Synchro Summon, but he was actually working for Z-one. Z-one wanted to destroy Neo Domino City to permanently wipe out Momentum from history.”

“In the end, Bruno dueled with Yusei and lost,” said Leo. “But Yusei said Bruno sacrificed himself to save him.”

“Maybe he’s like Paradox,” said Dash. “A thinking machine. And if he’s as strong as Paradox, then we don’t have any hope left at all. I can’t beat him.”

“Dash, you don’t know that,” said Applejack.

“I couldn’t even save Twilight!” Dash cried. “First I turn my back on her, then I’m not there for her when she needs me the most!”

“Rainbow, none o’ this is yer fault,” said Applejack. “You did what ya could-”

“That’s the point!” Dash yelled. “I did everything I could, they got her anyway!”

“And that ain’t yer fault!” Applejack shouted back. “Look, they got Twilight, but she’ll be gettin’ her strength back soon. And now she’s on the inside! She can tear that place apart!”

“What if they brainwash her or something?” Dash asked.

“Not gonna happen,” said Applejack. “Twilight’s too smart for that to work.”

“But what if it does?” Rainbow Dash asked. She put her head in her hooves. “I wasn’t there and now she’s gone and it’s all my fault!”

“Rainbow...” Rainbow Dash looked up and saw an orange hoof rushing toward her. The next thing she knew, she was on her side.

“Applejack!” shouted Luna. “What did you do that-” Leo held up a hand to stop her.

Rainbow Dash groaned and sat up.

“You snapped out of it yet?” asked Applejack.

“W- what?” Dash said, stunned.

“Look, you’re gettin’ yerself worked up over somethin’ that ain’t your fault. It doesn’t matter if you made a mistake or if there was nothing you could do to stop this Bruno guy from taking Twilight. That’s in the past and it don’t matter none. What matters now is what yer gonna do about it.”

Dash didn’t move. She simply gaped at Applejack. AJ raised another hoof and threw it forward. It struck Rainbow Dash’s cheek just as Rainbow’s hoof struck her own.

Both ponies were thrown backward. Then they stood up and looked at each other.

“You’re right,” said Dash. “It doesn’t matter if I failed. What matters is what I’m gonna do about it. What we’re gonna do about it!”

Applejack grinned. “Atta girl!” she said. “So what’re we gonna do about it?”

“...what ARE we gonna do about it?” Rainbow Dash asked. Applejack put her face in her hoof.

“We’re gonna rescue Twilight, dummy!” said Applejack.

“Oh, right, yeah. I knew that,” said Dash. Leo and Luna looked at each other and laughed. “What?” Dash asked.

“You two remind us of... well, us,” said Luna.

“Yeah, we used to fight all the time when we were younger,” said Leo between laughs. “But we always ended up doing the right thing afterward.”

Rainbow Dash and Applejack smiled. “I guess having a rival as your best friend means you know when to knock some sense into ‘em,” said Rainbow Dash.

“You said it, Rainbow,” Applejack agreed. “Now, let’s pack some food and go rescue Twilight!”

/*********************\

Next time on Dueling is Magic! Many Futures

Fluttershy and Aki wander the streets aimlessly. The shadows are closing in and Fluttershy fears the worst has happened to Twilight. Aki insists on returning to the base to see if there are any stragglers they can help. But in the darkness, Aki faces her nightmares...

Chapter 37

Thorns of a Rose

/*********************\

Featured Card

T.G. Blade Blaster MAXX-10000
EARTH
Level 10
Machine/Accel Synchro/Effect
1 Tuner Synchro Monster + 1 or more non-Tuner Synchro Monsters
You can Synchro Summon this card during your opponent's turn. When your opponent activates a Spell/Trap Card: You can discard 1 card; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it. Once per opponent's turn: You can banish this face-up card until the End Phase. When this card is destroyed: You can draw 1 card, and if you do, Special Summon the monsters used in its Synchro Summon if they are in your Graveyard.
ATK/3300
DEF/2200

Author's Note:

I am so sorry for how long this chapter took to release. My computer is dead and I have to share with others in the house now. On top of that, the job hunt hasn't been going well, and other, more depressing matters have taken my attention.

That said, I already know what I'm going to do with the next chapter, so don't worry. I'm still writing this story and I am going to finish it, even if it takes me years.

And I hope it won't.

In any case, the featured card is a hint of things to come, as was my last blog post. All in all, the story is beginning to wind up to the climax. The final battle for Neo Domino City and the fate of the human world will begin soon!

PreviousChapters Next