• Published 5th Feb 2012
  • 2,726 Views, 61 Comments

A Red and Green brush - Netherweaver



Twilight misfires a spell and a Human ends up in Equestria. Well, he was a human...

  • ...
9
 61
 2,726

Chapter Twenty: Life

Chapter Twenty...

Skye was first to wake up, and as always she woke me up too. We went downstairs to get some breakfast. I saw all her birthday presents sitting untouched in the middle of the room. I made a note to help her set everything up once we had eaten breakfast. We were happily eating our breakfast while the familiar thump followed by a load of shuffling heralded Luna's arrival. She drifted through the room, sluggishly approaching the coffee machine. As she went through her normal coffee routine, everything seemed back to normal. It was as if I hadn't been dead for a week or had raised myself from the dead yesterday. As we finished our breakfasts I took the opportunity.

"Hey, Skye, let's get all this new kit set up." I said, hoping to cheer her up.

"Okay, let's go." She said, smiling slightly. My death had changed her, that much was clear. We headed out of the room, and as we picked up the various bits and pieces for Skye's studio, Luna levitated them all out of our grips.

"I've had caffeine now, I'll carry this." She said. We walked to Skye's room, Luna hefting the pile of electronics behind us. I cleared her desk of schoolwork, and we began to organise all the different bits and pieces as Vinyl had suggested. It turned out very well, and everything slotted together nicely. I plugged it all in and started up the computer, running all the first time checks fairly quickly. We sat back, and Skye took over, installing program after program. As she finished up on the final program, there was a knock at the door. I went downstairs and opened the door, looking down to find none other than the famous DJ-PON3 stood on my doorstep. Well, she wasn't DJ-PON3 at the moment as her shades were tucked into her hoodie pocket. I let her in.

"Hey Vinyl, what's up?" I asked as she took her hoodie off, retrieving her sunglasses.

"I thought that Skye might be cheered up by a visit from her one and only idol." She said, setting them over her eyes.

"First door on the left, Vinyl. Try not to give her a heart attack." I said, ushering the albino DJ up the stairs. I saw Octavia stood outside as well. "Come in Octavia, I can't have you stood around outside for too long now, can I?" I let the cellist in, and closed the door behind her. We walked into the living room. "Cup of tea for the refined lady?" I said, having a quiet dig at my friend.

"Please." She said, giggling slightly. I made her a cup of tea, and we sat and talked for the rest of the afternoon. Vinyl, Skye and Luna finally came downstairs to find Octavia diving face-first into a pile of biscuits, eating them in the least refined manner possible.

"Heh, and you call me uncouth." Vinyl said, chuckling at her wife. They embraced, and with a quick goodbye they left for home.

"How's everything working sweetie?" I said, hugging Skye. For a fifteen year old, she didn't mind my outward displays of affection, even before the... incident...

"It's all working fine dad. Vinyl even helped me come up with a DJ persona!" She squealed, obviously having wrung Vinyl's supplies of musical know-how dry. Her form shifted, and Skye stood before me, not as a human or a griffon, but as a humanoid dragon. "Behold the mighty Drake!" She said, and I had to suppress a laugh. She looked adorable as a dragon, and even the 20 or so year old nature of the body didn't corrupt my view of my daughter. I picked her up in a big hug, and she squealed just like she had all those years ago. "Dad! Put me down!" She laughed, obviously enjoying herself. I placed her back onto the ground. She looked almost unrecognisable, apart from the shock of red hair that was somehow growing out of her scaled scalp. We spent the rest of the day discussing recent events, and as it turned out Vinyl had asked her to help at her next gig, promising that she would help her become famous. We went upstairs and listened to Skye's first ever song. It was good. So damned good the drop almost liquidised my brain.

"Sweet Jesus..." I said, still under assault from the unrelenting bass. Luna looked at me with concern in her eyes, but as she saw the blissful look in my eyes, she decided against removing this wonderful ear nectar from my immediate vicinity.

"I still haven't named the track..." Skye said, looking at the floor sheepishly, trying to avoid looking at my face.

"Ugh, does it even need a name? Well, I guess it does..." I whined as the song ended.

"I know, how about 'Rebirth'?" Luna said, speaking up for the first time since Skye had brought us up into her room. We looked over to her. Skye was the first to react.

"Wow... that's a good name mom..." She said, smiling. "Okay. 'Rebirth' it is." We went downstairs, the two of them having to drag me out of the room before I could put the song on again. We decided to go out for a meal, and Skye shifted back to her human form. I didn't blame her for not wanting to be a griffon, after what they had done to me. We walked into Ponyville, and Skye picked out her favourite restaurant. We went in, and as we sat down and started to eat, I felt something brush past me. I looked around, and a small flash of light gave away the thing's position. I looked directly at it, until it came sulking out of the shadows. Scootaloo was looking rather depressed at having been spotted. The young mare walked over, hanging her head.

"Still trying your hand at stalking Scoots?" I asked tousling her mane.

"Yeah, I still don't understand why I'm so bad at it." She said, her scooter-shaped cutie mark glinting.

"I didn't think that cutie marks could be shiny." I said to her.

"I know, it really doesn't help with the sneaking." She said. She pulled her scooter off her back, and after a hefty kick it unfolded, her old wooden one having been replaced with a high-tech one last year. "See ya later Max!" She said as she zipped out of the door faster than seemed possible. I shook my head as she blasted through the town. I looked back to the table to see the waiter stood patiently, pencil poised to take our orders. We ordered, and as the food was being prepared, we talked about Skye's schoolwork. She was still enrolled at Cherilee's school, but she was having to attend after the little fillies had left so Cherilee could run through more advanced courses. We continued talking about that theme until the waiter returned with our orders. We ate, talking between mouthfuls of food.

We walked home together, Skye having borrowed Luna's hoodie as her mother was staying as a pony and it was getting cold. We were about half way home when she started looking tired. I didn't say anything as I picked her up. She curled up against my chest, and let me carry her home. Luna smiled at me as she saw the slight strain of carrying Skye on my face. We finally arrived home, and Luna looked up to the sky, and raised the night. I looked up the the familiar constellation of the three, and Luna moved a fourth star between the three coloured stars. It took on the glow of the others, and started to glow as an amalgamation of the three. I grinned at my wife as she gave our daughter yet another present. We entered the house as Luna unlocked the door. I carried Skye up to her bedroom and tucked her in. Luna locked the door behind us and followed me up the stairs. As we had just got into bed, I heard a shuffling from the hallway.

"Mommy, can I sleep in your bed tonight?" Skye asked, obviously not wanting to be alone again. She was clutching her duvet around herself, and I could see she hadn't got into her pyjamas either.

"Of course sweetie." Luna said, shuffling over so Skye could snuggle up between us. As we drifted off, all curled up together, I smiled to myself. I had everything I had ever wanted.