• Published 21st Mar 2013
  • 2,060 Views, 388 Comments

Synthesis of the Atheist - BlackRoseRaven



Luna and Scrivener become the targets of a malicious, narcissistic psychopath. 8th story in the 99 Worlds Saga/Blooming Moon Chronicles.

  • ...
34
 388
 2,060

PreviousChapters Next
The Republic Of Equestria

Chapter Sixty Eight: The Republic Of Equestria
~BlackRoseRaven

Luna Brynhild rolled her shoulders slowly: her repaired armor clung tightly to her body, and she had shrunk down her spear to tuck it behind one ear like a pen. Her mane was pulled back in a rough ponytail, and while most of her injuries had faded over the last few days, she was distinctly cranky at the fact her horn was still cracked and needed a little more repair work before her magic would return.

Twilight and Scrivener were on either side of her, and Celestia followed last, her own golden armor gleaming, polished and pristine. The long train ride here had given her and Luna plenty of time to work back in one of the empty freight cars at least, with Morning Glory providing them with extra plates of metal every now and then. But more important than that, working side-by-side on their armor had given Luna and Celestia the time and calm they needed to just... talk.

Luna did know that her big sister had her best interests at heart, and she cared about her: maybe that was exactly why the argument leading into their little scuffle had hurt so much. Well, the fact she knew she was particularly sensitive about a few of the things that Celestia had brought up... that hadn't helped much either. Nor had the fact Celestia had gone back into overbearing, 'in-charge,' 'I am Queen' mode: she understood why, but... she had felt like street trash being talked down to by some uncaring judge or queen who couldn't possibly understand what she was going through. And Celestia hadn't just gone on to attack her over her addiction, but over her... well, everything else, too.

Celestia had been frustrated, embarrassed, and scared: so she had given in to the urge to just try and order Luna back into shape, even knowing full-well what the consequences could be. She had forgotten for a moment that even if Luna had a serious problem, she couldn't just start treating her like a stupid child, especially because Luna had been trying so goddamn hard for months and months now to stick to the unfair schedules, to do everything that had been asked of her, to take care of herself as much as possible.

And Celestia only understood now that she had never understood the agony Luna had been going through. What it felt like, to truly... need the corruption. She thought she had, but she knew now she'd only felt a bare sliver of what Luna was going through, and understood that was the real reason Scrivener and Twilight were still a little angry with her. Because she had waded in, acting like she knew everything about everything because she had studied it as extensively as she could, and while she could help in theory, she had lacked the experience with the subject to actually... understand.

And she had forgotten that... need for the poison or not, it was still her little sister. Not a different person, or some monster. It was still Luna, and Celestia had only really seen that as they had worked together side-by-side.

They had talked a lot, over the journey. Become better sisters, too, Luna and Celestia both hoped. Put some of the past beside them, smoothed other things out, and finally dealt with some old, long-ignored issues. Celestia renewed her promise to stay beside Luna, not to judge, to help instead of hindering and trying to force her own way, and Luna had made an even greater promise: if they could find a way for her to get off the corruption, she would take it... if they couldn't, she promised that after they stopped Thesis, she would remove her horn, and wean herself off the needles and drinking the corruption. She figured anything that got passed on from Scrivener just from his other contact with her would be fine as long as she didn't spend all day licking his face or something.

Luna grinned over her shoulder and winked at Scrivener Blooms, who cleared his throat awkwardly as Twilight rolled her eyes and asked in a mutter: “Do you have to be such a child?”

“I do!” Discombobulation called loudly from behind them, where he was riding calmly on Morning Glory, who was pointedly ignoring the Draconequus sitting on her shell-covered back. “This isn't nearly as uncomfortable as it looks, by the way. I'm really rather pleasantly surprised. And it's so pleasant to be pleasantly surprised because I'm so rarely pleasantly surprised, or even surprised at all. Downside of being a Draconequus: you're harder to excite than Dr. Arthur Neuman. Which actually is a very fitting reference if you stop and think it.”

Celestia only smiled over her shoulder as several of the guards escorting them through the halls of Canterlot looked warily at the chimerical creature, but Rainbow Dash only rolled her eyes at the head of the group, calling mildly over her shoulder: “Don't pay any attention to him, guys, he's just kind of a little bit crazy. He's all talk.”

“Hey, I'm riding a demon. I have a demon mount.” Discombobulation paused, then intoned: “When the Lamb opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature say, 'come and see!' I looked, and there before me was a pale horse: its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine, and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.”

He paused, then suddenly stood up and sprung forwards, landing spryly on Celestia's lower back and saying awkwardly: “Can I repeat my line? I just realized that pale pink isn't a very suitable color for Death's horse, but the demon's flaming head makes her look kind of like Hades. Although she's not nearly as funny as James Woods. Possibly not as scary, either.”

Celestia only smiled amusedly, continuing to walk calmly forwards as she asked: “Would you like me to move Tyrfing for you?”

“No, that's all well and fine. I'll just sit on your butt.” Discombobulation replied pleasantly, dropping his rear on Celestia's and managing to balance there with his knees curled up against his chest, hugging them as he kicked a little at the blade of the enormous sword across her back.

Luna laughed and shook her head slowly as Scrivener and Twilight both smiled despite themselves, and then Rainbow Dash cleared her throat as a pair of guards opened a set of wide double doors for them. The sapphire winged unicorn glanced up curiously, then smiled softly as the Pegasus ran forwards a little to introduce clearly: “Princesses of Equestria, I would like to introduce to you Brynhild, Freya, Morgan, Scrivener Blooms, uh... Bob... and Morning Glory.”

Luna gazed softly to the end of this beautiful hall that was lined with stained glass windows and ended in a beautiful, immense statue of crystal, showing the four different shapes of pony working together to achieve one goal. The sapphire mare strode slowly forwards, leading her friends and family, as they looked at the four princesses in their royal raiment: Celestia, Luna, Cadence... and Twilight.

Princess Twilight Sparkle had little golden shoes on, and a peytral similar to Celestia's, but her tiara was clearly the Element of Magic from its six-pointed, violet star. Luna and Celestia both smiled faintly at this, as their own Twilight Morgan closed her eyes for a moment, finding it almost hard to look across at this version of her with her longer, neatly-swept mane and tail... and Princess Twilight stared back, but caught herself in time to join the other monarchs in bowing their heads courteously.

Luna Brynhild and the others bowed back as Rainbow Dash hurriedly headed to the doors, and there was silence for a few long moments as they studied each other. Brynhild knew they'd been informed, but she knew they were also feeling the same emotions right now as every other layer did when they saw them for the first time: that faint stirring of disbelief, amazement, and...

Twilight Morgan cleared her throat quietly, and Princess Twilight blushed deep red as she realized she'd been staring again before clearing her throat quickly. Princess Celestia seemed to catch herself as well as she rose her head, saying in a soft, carrying voice: “Welcome... friends. It's a pleasure to get to meet you, and to discuss matters with you pony-to-pony. I won't keep you too long, since I know the journey from Seahorse Shoal has probably left you all feeling a little tired.”

“Nay, more in need of exercise than anything else.” Luna Brynhild replied mildly, stepping forwards and grinning slightly. “'Tis appreciated, though. We would enjoy having time to stretch our legs, but we are all happy to answer any questions thou may have of us for now. We are no strangers to this, after all, and 'tis a fair necessity. I would be more suspicious if thou wert to let us wander freely about, actually, if thou must know the truth.”

“Thank you for that then... Brynhild, correct?” Princess Celestia snuck a quick look over her shoulder at her own sibling, who was studying Luna with fascination, before the ivory mare turned her eyes with warmth – and pride, Freya thought – to Twilight Sparkle. “Princess Twilight. I believe you had questions for these ponies regarding their magic, first of all.”

“Oh, yes, Princess Celestia, but... but I know you had a few questions of your own, mine can wait if you want to ask about the sun or anything...” Twilight almost rambled, and when Princess Celestia gave her a pointed look, the violet winged unicorn cleared her throat and nodded, stepping forwards and asking hesitantly: “May I... scan all of you? Just to get an idea of your magic. It's... it's kind of my specialty, I guess you could say.”

“If thou likes.” Brynhild said cheerfully, and Scrivener gave her a flat look, seeing a gleam of mischief in Luna's eye and understanding almost immediately why. “I would be careful, though. We do have some odd entities present.”

“One of these odd entities is running away for now.” Discombobulation said mildly, and he hopped off Celestia before bowing politely, then simply vanishing from the spot, Princess Twilight wincing over her shoulder at the others.

Princess Luna looked a little concerned, but if Princess Celestia was worried at all, she hid it admirably well, smiling a little and saying softly: “We have our own Draconequus wandering around Canterlot, named Discord. He's a little less polite than your friend is, though.”

“Oh, aye, we are familiar with Discord. Celestia once made him a royal messenger. It worked surprisingly well.” Brynhild remarked, and Princess Celestia smiled across at her counterpart, meeting Freya's eyes with definite interest. Luna Brynhild paused at this, then scowled even as Princess Twilight began to prepare a spell. “Thou art not thinking about making out with each other, art thou? 'Twould be most disturbing.”

Princess Twilight gaped, losing her focus, while Twilight Morgan only sighed, but to their surprise Princess Celestia only remarked calmly: “Well, she would have to buy me dinner first.”

“Dinner sounds a bit steep for only a kiss. How about I negotiate and say Donut Joe's?” Freya replied with a tilt of her head, and a smile quirked at Princess Celestia's mouth before the armored ivory equine added: “And we can talk on the way there, of course, if you'd like to leave now. I'm sure our friends can get along just fine without us.”

“That sounds lovely. Excuse me.” Princess Celestia strode forwards, and Luna Brynhild gaped stupidly as Scrivener stared and both Twilights turned incredulous looks on the tall, ivory winged unicorns. Morning Glory only rolled her eyes in irritation as the two Celestias walked easily past, the Princess of the Sun smiling slightly and asking her Valkyrie counterpart: “I just realized it would be rude of me to ask you to pay, though, being a stranger here. I'll buy.”

“Then I'll have to find a way to thank you.” Freya responded as the two walked past a gaping, staring Rainbow Dash, and Luna Brynhild ground her teeth together in frustration before glowering over at Princess Luna.

The sapphire mare's eyes widened slightly, and Brynhild said almost threateningly: “This had best be the 'fun' layer I have been dreaming of, and thou had best join me in my bedchambers tonight. And thou had best mirror me in my talents there as well as my looks, or I shall take it as a personal insult, does thou understand?”

Scrivener punched Luna in the shoulder, and she huffed before Morning Glory announced, breaking the awkward tension: “I'm leaving now. You all disgust and irritate me, and I do not wish to listen to all you stupid ponies trying to explain to other stupid ponies what a demon is and why you should leave me in peace.”

With that, Morning Glory turned, then paused at one of the tall doors before reaching up and simply ripping it off its hinges in a hail of stone dust, and all eyes stared as the Destroyer calmly snapped the door in half like she was folding a piece of paper. “Consider that your demonstration of what my kind does to your kind. Goodbye.”

Luna rolled her eyes as the demon stormed out, and then she shook her head and rubbed slowly just under her crystalline horn, muttering: “Now I know how I make the ponies charged with foalsitting me feel. I wish to apologize on Morning Glory's behalf. She is not... sociable.”

“Uh.” Princess Twilight slowly stared over her shoulder at the other two winged unicorns for help, but they both only shrugged helplessly before the Princess of Magic slowly, awkwardly turned a lame smile back towards them. “That's... fine. It... it's very useful for my... research. I... I think I should probably just go ahead and scan whoever's left now. And then... maybe... somepony else can take over. Somepony with more experience, maybe?”

She looked almost desperately over her shoulder at the others, and then Princess Luna said gently: “You're doing fine, Twilight. Please, sweet mare, don't-”

“Thou art together!” Luna Brynhild interrupted in a shout, her eyes widening in surprise that quickly turned to delight, and both Princess Twilight and Princess Luna gaped, then blushed when Cadence looked at them with shock. “Aye, aye, that is-”

“No, no, we're not, no!” Princess Twilight snapped hurriedly, blushing deep red and glaring daggers at Brynhild as Cadence looked at them uncertainly, and Princess Luna gave her twinned mare an almost-desperate look. And Luna frowned at this before Princess Twilight quickly cleared her throat and said slowly: “We are... just.. friends. Family, almost. There are... rules, and norms in our Equestria that... I... are...”

Twilight started to get flustered, and Cadence stepped in, stepping forwards and saying carefully: “Maybe we should... stop for now. I need to speak to the other Princesses alone.”

Luna Brynhild frowned curiously at this, then shrugged and put a smile on her face even though her eyes were sharply assessing everything that was going on. She turned and gestured to Scrivener and Twilight Morgan, who both nodded slowly before walking out on either side of her, as Rainbow Dash winced and followed, then awkwardly shrugged when the guards stared at her and gestured violently at the broken door.

“Just... just pretend they're closed. And don't hear anything.” Rainbow muttered to them finally, before she flew quickly forwards and dropped down in front of Luna, Scrivener, and Twilight, saying carefully: “We should probably talk, guys.”

Luna nodded slowly, and she and her partners remained quiet as Rainbow led them quickly through the Castle until they reached a secluded gallery. Luna looked around this with interest, studying the art pieces on the walls with a wry smile as she actually recognized more than a few of them, before her eyes widened as Rainbow Dash said awkwardly: “So I guess you guys don't know this, but uh... relationships between the princesses are forbidden.”

There was awkward silence for a few moments, and then Luna asked dryly: “So? What is the matter? They are princesses, the worst Celestia can do is scold them. They rule Equestria, do they not? Have the law changed, there, simple, done.”

“Yeah, about... about that...” Rainbow Dash twiddled her hooves, slowly beginning to both pale and look embarrassed at the same time, and Luna cocked her head curiously before Rainbow finally cleared her throat loudly. “For one thing, Celestia gave the Royal Council most of the actual power a few hundred years ago. Members of the Council are chosen by previous members of the Royal Council, and if Celestia makes a decision they don't like, eighty votes against it from the Council of a hundred and twenty ponies is enough to overturn it.”

Luna stared at this, and Twilight Morgan opened and closed her mouth slowly before asking awkwardly: “You... are the same Rainbow Dash that... fell asleep in flight school, right?”

Rainbow Dash looked embarrassed, rubbing at her face and grumbling: “I'm that similar in your world? Dammit. Yeah, but I had to memorize this stuff to become an ambassador. I mean, had to, like, they grilled me over it constantly while Twilight was trying to push me to this position. And now it's all stuck in my head because I see the bastards every-”

She flushed and suddenly covered her mouth, looking back and forth, and Luna Brynhild blinked in surprise before Rainbow sighed and slumped a little. “Sorry. Ordinance 31B states that oppressive language can be punished by fines, and Ordinance 35 says that anypony who speaks badly of the Royal Council can be punished by fines or even jail time. I... get fined a lot when I'm in Canterlot. My stupid big mouth doesn't know when to stop talking.”

“That is ludicrous! Thou art making this up!” Luna snapped, looking horrified, and Rainbow Dash glanced down and shifted lamely.

“Well, I made up the numbers, I can't actually remember what rules say what. But I'm not making that up.” Rainbow hesitated, then looked up and added awkwardly: “Uh... there's also a law that says... homosexual relationships are also... inappropriate for ponies who work in public or government services and are... grounds for... immediate dismissal. Possibly jail time if... they were carrying it on in secret, which is... um. There's another law against that, too.”

Luna mouthed slowly and wordlessly, and then Scrivener slowly rose a hoof and asked awkwardly: “Uh. How. How are we all still not. Executed, then? I think just from looking at us, you can kind of tell we're... you know.”

“I'm going to be honest here.” Rainbow sighed, turning and striding down the hall as she shook her head slowly. “The Changeling War was hard, but the reason we eventually were able to make peace was because there weren't that many deaths, or even too many battles. Changelings infiltrate and subdue and try to drain us of our emotions. We weren't really trying to kill each other, but... get the upper hoof on each other, you know?

“Equestria's been... for the last few hundred years, all these stupid laws and rules and everything, that's kind of how the Royal Council kept the peace. And no one ever really stood up to anyone because... you know, you could get fined or thrown in jail just for speaking out against the council and stuff. But it's not a bad life, you know?” Rainbow Dash turned and shrugged, smiling lamely. “We look out for each other, come together, ponies don't really care about what you do with other ponies, the law's just... never been repealed...”

“Oh, I see.” Scrivener gave the Pegasus a flat look. “So you know. It can just be abused by employers to fire so-and-so if they stop being a diligent worker and you just happened to overhear about that one time they got drunk and-”

“Yeah, okay, so there's... kinks to work out.” Rainbow said crankily, but she seemed embarrassed more than defensive as she looked away with a shrug. “It's just the way it's always been and... it works, okay? The Changeling War was the biggest thing to happen in Equestria apart from... Princess Luna's return. And we fought and won, and the Council got a lot of support for that, even if they do... self-elect, and like to introduce new laws every few months, and... you know... they're a little... controlling...”

“This makes no sense whatsoever. Thy Princess Celestia actually seemed like the rare fun Celestia. This world is ludicrous and backward! Why is Fun Celestia still in power and content to do nothing then, if this Council is so clearly corrupt?” Luna asked incredulously, and Rainbow Dash shushed her several times as she held up her hooves, looking wildly back and forth. “Do not shush me! I shall pummel anypony who dares attempt to lay hoof upon me!”

Rainbow Dash cleared her throat and held up a hoof. “Which brings me back to the first point. You are large, terrifying ponies who are only supposed to be here for a short period of time, use magic we're unfamiliar with, and clearly could rip us apart with your bare hooves if you wanted to. Apparently after my report went off to the princesses and the Royal Council, they came up with a new law that says 'peaceful visitors from external existences will be granted diplomatic immunity as long as their stay is no longer than one week' or something.”

There was stunned silence for a few long moments, and then Twilight Morgan finally said what they all were thinking: “The Council is afraid of us, aren't they?”

“You guys aren't like the Changelings. The Changelings were led by Chrysalis, who was an unreasonable, crazy b... bad. Lady. Bad lady. But there was some division inside her hive, and she got caught in a civil war that was... probably a lot bloodier than the war we fought with her. Because again, she needed us alive, and we captured a lot of the Changelings instead of killing them, because Cadence discovered that Chrysalis controlled them through pheromones, so...”

“Once separated from the source for so long, they probably became docile, right?” Twilight asked, and Rainbow grunted and nodded a few times. “So Changelings... live in Equestria?”

“Yes and no. They have their own settlements here and there in the wild, and a lot of them live incognito, but there's... laws, of course, way too many for me to get into, regarding that, and a lot of the Changelings still went after Chrysalis. The rest of them follow their new leader, Princess Andromeda. She... she took the whole 'Princess' thing from us, I think.” Rainbow said finally, rubbing at the back of her head awkwardly. “Twilight and Cadence worked together to make these... 'love jars,' they called them. They basically hold positive energy. The Changelings help us out and defend us, and we feed them by filling up the love jars. I have no idea how they work, but apparently they just vacuum up positive energy or something.”

Luna glanced moodily over at Twilight Morgan, who shrugged a little and said lamely: “Hey, don't look at me, I don't know magic like that. But it sounds kind of like that thing that was protecting the Crystal Kingdom, the Crystal Heart.”

“Yeah, exactly!” Rainbow Dash looked up with a smile, stomping a hoof. “That's just what Twilight said she got the idea from! So you have that in your world too?”

“Nay, we do not.” Luna Brynhild smiled slightly, shaking her head before she reached up and silently rubbed at her soulstone horn. “But we have seen the artifact before, and we have a familiarity with how it works. 'Twas... well... in any event, I understand, I think. The stakes were high in the battles all thee fought, but rarely were the lost truly lost. We, on the other hoof, are killers.”

Rainbow Dash shivered at this, and there was silence before Twilight looked up and said quietly: “I don't get it, though. Celestia would never let... a corrupt Council just...”

“Princess Celestia says ponies have to learn to rule over and take care of themselves. She's publicly against the Council in a lot of her decisions, and they overturn her changes regularly, but... they know that if they threw her out of office it would cause a revolt, and for some reason Celestia won't just oust them.” Rainbow shrugged, rubbing at the back of her head. “But she is... I guess she is pretty 'fun,' you know? She's laid back and nice and she's really open and friendly.”

“That is not Celestia. That cannot be Celestia.” Luna said incredulously, and then she frowned a little before saying slowly: “But that implies that the other Princesses...”

“Yeah, not nearly as safe. Everypony says that... Celestia would do something if the Royal Council ever went after any of them without a reason, and no one said anything when Twilight was chosen as the new princess, but...” Rainbow Dash shrugged awkwardly. “No one really knows for sure. And it's not something anypony really wants to test... plus Cadence is really loyal to the Royal Council. Her family has lots of ties to it, and Shining Armor's very patriotic, too. He's a big part of the Council. He was pretty thoroughly humiliated when Twilight was named the Princess of Magic, too... apparently Chancellor Blueblood really-”

“I threw my pet pseudodragon into his face once. It scratched the hell out of him. I didn't get fired for it because he's a douchebag, and in our old world he was a Prince.” Scrivener said mildly, and Rainbow Dash stared at him as Luna coughed loudly several times into a hoof, and Twilight Sparkle only sighed tiredly. “So why is the worst possible pony in the position of power? Oh wait, I forgot. That's like a rule of existence or something. The worst possible ponies always claw their way up to some position of power. Just look at me.”

Rainbow Dash sighed, and then Luna Brynhild grumbled moodily: “I say we should do something about this ridiculous Royal Council. They have too much power. We should pummel them, Scrivener Blooms. Or at least pummel Fun Celestia into doing something. Even if this is some grand practical joke centuries in the making, the joke has now gone on long enough, and now 'tis time to make it hoof party in somepony's face's house.”

“Horses of Heaven, Luna, why did you have to lock onto that line out of everything that Discombobulation has ever said to you?” Scrivener groaned and rubbed a hoof slowly at his face, but Luna only huffed and shrugged in response, looking pointedly back at the stallion. “And I don't think we can really do that, Luna... it might not be... appealing to us, but this is their Equestria, their country, their... everything. We can't just change it because we think ours is better. I hate to tell you this, but our Barons aren't exactly all that clean themselves, and we do kind of keep getting attacked by horrible... pretty much everythings.”

Luna grumbled at this, giving the charcoal stallion a sour look. “Oh, that does not count at all, Scrivener Blooms. Thesis is not attacking us because of any ideal, 'tis because he is nothing but an... an assbutt. He is an an assbutt, Scrivener Blooms.”

The stallion slowly closed his eyes as Rainbow Dash cleared her throat loudly several times and looked away with a half-hidden grin, and Twilight Morgan gave Luna a flat, almost-disbelieving look before the Lich finally decided to ask: “But there really is... something going on between Luna and Twilight in this world anyway? Does Celestia know, or...”

“Yeah.” Rainbow softened a little. “Yeah. They love each other like, a lot. A lot a lot. It's been really hard for a lot of us to find that special somepony but... those two just kind of clicked, you know? And Twilight told all her friends and... she... she was trying to tell her brother. She wants the laws changed, she wants the Royal Council removed... she says this isn't good. She says we do need some kind of governing senate, but... what we've got instead is this big mass of ponies who all think the same things, who all want power and rules, and who want all these... ambiguous, 'sounds good' laws.”

“Twilight Sparkle sounds like she reads Popehat.” remarked a mild voice, and all four ponies looked up in surprise to see Discombobulation standing nearby, with another familiar Draconequus wearing a pair of silver bracelets that covered almost his entire forearms. “I always thought lawyers were boring until I read that blog. Then I found out lawyers are hilarious. Luna, you should start a blog. It's the perfect thing for an insane writer like yourself.”

“That would be the worst... whatever that is... in the universe.” Scrivener looked meditatively over at the Draconequus. “That doesn't even sound like a real word. Blog.”

Scrivener repeated the word a few more times, making a worse face every time he said it, and Luna rolled her eyes before smiling slightly over at the second Draconequus, who was peering at them suspiciously around Discombobulation. “What, art thou frightened of little ponies in this world, Discord? Not the big, mean, powerful Draconequus thou likes to pretend thou art?”

“Oh great. You weren't lying about them.” Discord said distastefully, and then he prodded Discombobulation's side a few times grouchily, making the fellow chimerical creature frown and irritably slap at him with his metal arm. “I still don't believe you're actually the puppy, by the way. Well, clearly you're a puppy, but as I recall my puppy had two arms. You have one and a half. Also, you look less like you came out of the pound and more like you have your own diva doghouse.”

Discombobulation looked flatly at Discord for a few moments, and then he turned to the others and whispered loudly behind his metal hand: “It's okay, he's just upset because he has to wear those power inhibitors.”

“Hey! You promised you wouldn't tell!” Discord complained, glaring at Discombobulation and crossing his arms sulkily. “I could have you brought up on charges for that in Ginnungagap.”

“Yes, and everyone would make fun of you for believing me. You don't own the kangaroos that run the court anymore.” Discombobulation replied mildly, before he added: “I also had my fingers crossed when I told you that.”

“You did not.” Discord looked insulted at this, huffing as he rose his head. “You were busy posing like an idiot. Which, yes, is a point in your favor that you really are puppy, but all the same still made you look less like Freddie Mercury and more like a Backstreet Boy.”

Discombobulation sighed loudly at this, posing with the back of one hand against his head as he arched his back dramatically. “And this is precisely why I make the references, and not you, although I understand that you have no choice but to sink to my level... or rather, try and rise to it, now that you're locked under permanent house arrest, more powerless than a fashion model without breast implants or diet pills. Besides, my fingers were crossed in the fifth dimension.”

“Oh, dear, look at you, missing an easy meta reference. I would have said 'my fingers were crossed behind the fourth wall,' but of course that's why I'm the big dog, and you're the little puppy.” Discord retorted, brushing at himself with a prim smile. “I'm handsome, marketable, handsome, intelligent, powerful, and did I mention handsome?”

“You're also gay. Gay gay gay gay gay. Gay.” Discombobulation retorted, and Discord glowered at him. “I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. I'm just saying that it's also a crime in this world. Which I guess means you really are going to get sodomized if you go to prison.”

Discord slowly reached up, and Discombobulation frowned before yelping when a single finger stabbed firmly into his eye, grabbing at the offended area and glowering moodily at his attacker. But before either chimerical creature could cause any further trouble, Luna loudly cleared her throat and stated flatly: “If thou art both finished, I desire to go and make out with as many mares as possible in front of as many surly old ponies as possible. Or to burn down the Royal Court. Do thee wish to come with me?”

The two Draconequus traded looks, before Twilight suddenly rose her head and asked curiously: “Is that why Celestia was so playful with...well, Celestia? Because she doesn't like the Royal Court, maybe she wants to get that law changed or put pressure on them, so... she's... really going to make out with another mare who looks exactly like her but has legal protection as long as we're in this world?”

Discord's eyes slowly widened as he covered his mouth, and then he began to giggle as Rainbow's mouth worked, and Luna and Scrivener both gaped before the charcoal stallion spluttered: “That's... that's so convoluted and insane that... Horses of Heaven, wait, Celestia's mind combined with my level of hatred for the Royal Court and Luna's self-destructive beha-”

“We are immediately going to go and watch Freya make out with Fun Celestia!” Luna declared with a grin, and Discord squeaked and clapped his hands together widely before clearing his throat several times and looking as serious as possible when all eyes glared at him.

“No, I.. I agree, I definitely agree, and I even have more than enough privilege to teleport us wherever Celestia might be to watch this important political protest moment of her engaging in public romantic activity... with... a twin of... herself...” Discord's tongue lolled out his eyes glittered, twiddling his fingers together. “Oh yes. Vive la resistance! Equal rights! Freedom of mare-on-mare action!”

Discombobulation looked meditatively at Discord, rubbing his chin slowly before he said mildly: “You know, I really shouldn't take the pleasure in this that I'm going to, but I have the feeling I should go ahead and inform you that Freya happens to be my marefriend.”

Discord's face froze, and then he creakily turned his gaze towards Discombobulation, who slowly gave a smug smile. “Yes. I am hitting that. She gives me sugar. I have reached into the cookie jar. I have licked that lollipop. I kissed a Celestia and I liked it.”

The Draconequus in shackles slowly crossed his arms, then looked down for a few moments before he looked up and said grouchily: “You are just the worst kind of person.”

Discombobulation replied to this by doing a short little dance, and Luna rolled her eyes before she said huffily: “Well, none of us are going to get any enjoyment unless we go to... where did she say she was going?”

“Donut Joe's. Uh. I can come too, right?” Rainbow asked awkwardly, and then she cleared her throat. “Clearly for important political-”

“Dyke.” Discord said loudly, and Rainbow glowered up at him before the Draconequus retorted crankily: “Fluttershy isn't around right now, I can use that word as often as I want. And many other words. I can even string words together, like why-don't-you-and-puppy-go-f-”

Then Discord yelped and flinched as a short blast of electricity shot over his body, leaving him smoldering faintly before he glowered down at the bracelets as Rainbow Dash winced and Scrivener, Luna, and Twilight all looked up him in surprise. Even Bob frowned slightly, and Discord muttered: “Forgot about that. Yes, see. They told me that all these would do was help them 'keep an eye on me,' and I thought they'd be nice and easy to fool whenever I wanted to go out somewhere. Well, no, they've each got stillness charms on them to stop me from using too much of my powers or taking the damn things off, and they electrocute me whenever my emotions start to get a little too high. Only Princess Purple or Celestia can take them off.”

He paused, then held up a hand and snapped his fingers, and there was a whirl of vertigo and a sharp whipcrack of sound before they popped into existence inside of a small, mostly-empty diner. The earth pony behind the counter yelped and jumped, dropping the glass he had been polishing and then snapping: “Oh come on, Discord, what have I said... about...”

His eyes widened in surprise at the sight of the ponies, and he hurriedly straightened, beginning quickly: “Princess Luna, Princess Twilight, Ambassador, I didn't think that... I... wait a minute...”

“Nay, I am not thy Princess Luna. I am Brynhild, and the pony beside me thou may refer to as... Morgan...” Luna's eyes slowly roved back and forth around the room, and then they widened and glittered as she licked her lips slowly. “This is a coffee shop! Oh joyous day!”

“Y-Yes, ma'am. Heard lots about you.” said the large, tan stallion behind the counter, giving an awkward smile as he nodded to her embarrassedly. “Sorry about that. Discord and I go back a little, that's all, and he has a bad habit of uh... causing a ruckus.”

“Oh I do not, shut up.” Discord said grouchily, waving a hand airily before he looked seriously over at Discombobulation. “Donuts taste so much better when they're on fire, right puppy?”

“Absolutely.” Discombobulation agreed politely, and then he strode over to a table and sat calmly down before pointing at the empty air in front of him, and a tall mug popped into existence. “You'll excuse me, but I prefer my own brand. I'll still buy plenty of pastries, though, since I'm not paying for them and they're fun to throw.”

The stallion only sighed and mumbled something about Draconequus, before he looked awkwardly up as the ponies approached. But Rainbow Dash was quick to fly in, settling down and saying quickly: “Don't worry, they're cool, Joe. Celestia's on her way with Freya, though, the pony that looks like her but... scarier.”

“They're going to kiss!” Luna said positively, and Joe almost choked as he stared in shock at the sapphire mare, as Rainbow Dash snorted in amusement. “And even if that was not actually in their original intent, I am going to make it so now. 'Twill be very good for them both, I believe.”

“It's funny. Celestia is one of my best customers, and she's funny, and smart, and enjoys a good joke. She's a great pony to be around, tips well, but not so well you end up feeling like she's just taking pity on you and your crappy shop, you know?” Donut Joe paused and cleared his throat. “And she is the absolute worst thing that has ever happened to my business-”

“As you tell every single pony that comes in here, okay, okay, I'm gonna go sit over there with Discord and the other Draconequus. Ring me up a latte.” Rainbow rolled her eyes, smiling amusedly as she pushed away from the counter, and Joe huffed a little before he smiled over at the other three ponies, studying them with interest... and Twilight couldn't help but notice the way his eyes were careful not to linger too long over her, nor too short.

She tilted her head curiously at this but didn't say anything, and after a moment Donut Joe cleared his throat and returned his yes to Luna, picking up his story as if he hadn't noticed her noticing his... well, lack of noticing my... Lichness... “So Celestia likes to come in here pretty frequently. She's got this real sweet tooth, and as you can see...” Joe leaned back, gesturing at the glass display cases under and to either side of the counter. “That's the kind of stuff I specialize in. I might humbly add I make a fine cup of coffee-”

“That's you, humble.” Rainbow Dash called loudly from her booth, and one or two of the other customers in the shop laughed, making Luna smile slightly as Joe rolled his eyes in amusement. It felt like a friendly small-town coffeeshop despite sitting here in Canterlot, and the atmosphere made Luna feel like this was the kind of place she would have loved to spend her time at... except all those years ago now when she had first returned, Celestia had never allowed her outside the castle grounds.

This brought another question to mind, but Joe had already picked up his story, saying cheerfully: “So it shouldn't've surprised me when Celestia came in here. And you know, it didn't, if that isn't too big-headed of me to say.” He chuckled, and even Scrivener smiled a little despite himself at the natural charisma of the earth pony. “What surprised me was that she kept comin' back. Almost every day I see her, like clockwork.”

“Aye, that is a good word for Celestia, clockwork.” Luna said mildly, and Scrivener gave the mare a flat look before she asked quickly, before anypony could say anything further: “What about Princess Luna? I must know if Princess Luna comes here too!”

“Well, even though it's probably a mistake for me to trust in Dash's judgment and speak freely around you guys, Princess Luna's always been... you know, quieter. A little stricter about rules and stuff. She's a thinker, I think. Good pony, definitely, but she doesn't have much of a sense of humor, spends a lot of her time working and picking up slack with the Royal Council. Princess Celestia's the fun, easygoing one, who likes to play a prank now and then. Hell, last Nightmare Night she all but dragged Princess Luna and Princess Twilight here by herself to our party, give them kind of... a place to hide out in public, if you know what I mean.”

Donut Joe grinned widely and winked, but Luna was only staring at him before she paled slightly, mouthing wordlessly at the stallion. For a moment, the earth pony leaned worriedly back, but then Luna turned towards Scrivener and Twilight with a look of horror and shouted: “By the Aesir, Scrivener Blooms! In this world, Celestia is me... and I am Celestia!”

The doors dinged open, and Luna looked with aghast horror as Celestia and Freya entered, both smiling warmly, and the sapphire mare flung herself back against the display and pointed at them, shouting: “Celestia, get away from that creature! 'Tis not thy twin at all! Thou shan't be making out with thyself, but me in a costume of thee!”

Celestia and Freya both only looked for a few moments at Luna Brynhild, and then Princess Celestia smiled warmly over at her counterpart, saying pleasantly: “I quite like your sister, Freya. She seems a lot less tense than my own.”

“To be honest, Celestia, it took me quite a bit of time to get used to her. Hundreds of years, and even after that... it still took a few adjustments, negotiations, and...” The golden armored mare smiled slightly, tossing a wink to her counterpart as they both calmly strode towards the counter, as Donut Joe only stared with something like awe. “A lot of getting used to, once I realized that no matter what I did, Luna... Brynhild... was still going to just be Brynhild.”

Celestia nodded thoughtfully, then she turned a smile to Donut Joe and studied him for a few moments. He looked back at them with a dumb smile in return, before Princess Celestia asked Freya with interest: “Do you like fruit smoothies?”

Freya only shrugged, and then Princess Celestia turned a smile to Donut Joe. “One extra-large Melon Lime Cooler, please. Two straws, one cup.”

“Two mares one cup.” whispered Discombobulation, and Discord gave him a flat look over the glass of chocolate milk he was drinking before the metal armed creature cleared his throat. “Sorry, I couldn't... quite help myself. It just seemed like an appropriate reference.”

Donut Joe nodded to the ivory mare awkwardly, and then Celestia turned her eyes down towards Luna Brynhild, who was still looking up at her almost warily. “I'm sorry if you feel left out, but I want you to know that not even I get to have threesomes every night, much less with Twilight Sparkle, so you shouldn't feel that bad.”

Chocolate milk squirted out of Discord's nose before he gasped and hammered on his chest, as Luna Brynhild stared in shock up at the ivory mare, and Donut Joe only sighed tiredly as he turned. Scrivener didn't even know what to say as Twilight Morgan mouthed wordlessly, before Celestia winked over at Freya and added leisurely: “Of course, it's out of respect for you and sisterly boundaries that I'm not inviting your sibling along, but I just realized something. You mentioned that you were Valkyries, reborn several hundred years apart. So really, your Luna could join both of us and it wouldn't really be incest, would it?”

“True. Unless you wanted it to be.” Freya replied with a pleasant nod in return, and Fun Celestia looked intrigued at this thought, going so far as to lick her lips as Brynhild's gape fell wider, Discord gave a squeaky giggle, Discombobulation stared, and... Scrivener and Twilight both simply gave up on thinking. Rainbow was laughing her flank off in her seat, while Donut Joe was only hurriedly mixing up the smoothie, looking pleadingly at Celestia.

“Princess, with all respect, with... with all respect... I think you should probably not talk anymore. The moral decency laws, remember? I. I really don't want to get another giant fine. Please.” Donut Joe said hurriedly, looking awkwardly towards the Princess of the Sun.

Before Celestia could respond, Luna Brynhild shoved a hoof against the ivory mare's chest, making her turn her gaze towards her curiously as Brynhild poked her several times and glared up at her. “I know what thou art! Thou art some demon, lamia, succubus! Thou art evil, and terrible, and replaced Celestia long ago, did thou not? Or... or a spell of tremendous power mixed the body of thee and thy sister up and... and...”

Princess Celestia studied Luna's horn of soulstone curiously, then she leaned down and rubbed her muzzle slowly along it, and Luna froze before her eyes slowly bulged and widened as Princess Celestia licked up this. Discord, Discombobulation, and Rainbow Dash were all leaning over the back of the booth, Discord whimpering as he bit firmly into the back of the chair before Fun Celestia remarked with interest: “That's a very interesting taste. Dark magic, a bit of poison, but... palatable. Maybe even a little sweet, but that just might be you, Brynhild.”

Luna's mouth worked slowly, and then she simply fell over on her side as Freya looked thoughtfully at Celestia, then said finally: “It's funny. I actually had to work very hard to stop Brynhild from sampling magic in that exact same way in the old days. Maybe you really are us, but... in different bodies.”

“Kinky.” Princess Celestia's horn glowed, lifting the enormous glass filled with bright green liquid Donut Joe offered to them with telekinesis, and then she turned and strode towards a booth... and Scrivener's mouth worked as Twilight grabbed at her face and Luna gazed stupidly up from the floor at the way she was... she was strutting slightly, showing herself off a little, clearly enjoying the attention but moreover, clearly doing it to tease them a little, like she was enjoying their reactions, playing with them, and...

“You are a little evil.” Freya said almost admiringly as she followed Celestia to the table, and they sat across from each other as Celestia laughed and grinned across at the ivory mare, leaning forwards as their eyes locked knowingly and the enormous, almost urn-shaped glass slid between them.

“I'm a capable ruler who seeks to create a society that's comfortable with itself. Even if my work is a little hampered by the Royal Council at times... well, I can still show ponies that you don't have to be ashamed of who you are, and what you desire. I like to think I balance work and play... tell me, Freya, are you all work and no play?” Celestia tilted her head as she leaned forwards, slipping one of the straws into her mouth and sipping back on it with relish.

Freya only smiled slightly in return, replying easily: “I think that I'm learning a little more every day how to balance the two. But I do have to ask again... don't you think that your hedonism could be mistaken as-”

Celestia reached a hoof up and pushed it against Freya's lips, leaning back and gazing across at her armored counterpart as she replied easily: “We've had this discussion, haven't we? I think you just want me to repeat it in front of our company, but... I don't think Brynhild needs a secret lesson from me, Freya. I think you're the one who could use the lesson on loosening up, indulging yourself, being free even when everyone's watching you... because sometimes the best way to set a good example is by showing you're just as flawed as everypony else.”

“I wouldn't call you flawed. But that might be bias speaking.” Freya responded gently, and Celestia gave a pleased smile before both ivory mares leaned forwards, sipping slowly from the smoothie at the same time, amethyst eyes locked.

“And the Celestias have just fallen in love with each other.” Luna Brynhild mumbled as she carefully pushed herself up from the ground, shaking herself briskly out before she looked morbidly at the two and added, as Twilight and Scrivener both struggled to regain their own senses: “I do not know yet if this layer is Heaven or Hell. Everything feels gorgeously right and terribly, terribly wrong all at once. It has left me feeling like this is all some macabre and erotic illusion.”

“So you do find me attractive. Good.” Princess Celestia seemed pleased with herself, and Luna's mouth worked for a moment before the Princess of the Sun turned her eyes back towards the ivory mare. “I hope you find me attractive too. Physically, at least. You should always be able to love yourself, after all, and... we are very pretty.”

“Oh for Helheim's sake she even speaks like me!” Luna snapped, sounding outraged, as Donut Joe only awkwardly went about preparing more drinks behind the counter. The sapphire mare stormed up to the table, glaring at Celestia and almost ordering: “Thou art supposed to be responsible and... and lecturing, and a little evil! Thou art supposed to speak softly and carry a big stick thou regularly bashes myself and others who step out of line with! Thou art-”

Celestia reached up and gently rubbed along Luna's horn, making the sapphire mare blush and twitch slightly before the Princess of the Sun smiled slightly, asking with interest: “Chevalier's Sensitivity? That doesn't entirely seem like the pain usually associated with a prosthetic implant, and well.. I know that I like having my horn stroked.”

Luna stared up at Celestia, and Freya cleared her throat before reaching up a hoof to hide a grin as she sat back, her eyes glinting with entertainment before the sapphire ark shook her head fiercely, then glared up at Fun Celestia, one of her eyes twitching. “This... thou art... inappropriate! I... thou...”

“Maybe a little. But it's... good to be free.” Princess Celestia stirred her smoothie with a straw, gazing down at Luna with warm and kindness in her eyes. “Three hundred years ago, I ruled alone. No other pony was beside me, and I needed no other pony. I was loved and obeyed by everypony, and one day, I walked through Canterlot and saw how happy all the adults were. How much they cherished me.

“And like an idiot, I assumed that because these normal ponies were happy, every other pony would be happy, too. So I let myself wander into the lower quarters, and... my reception grew lukewarm.” Celestia halted, then looked down for a moment and said softly: “I had always ruled for the benefit of the ponies I could see. But there are millions of ponies I don't see every day, Brynhild. There were even back then. I protected them, and took care of them, and kept the peace... but I cost them individuality and freedom. These weren't just poor ponies: these were ponies with strange talents, or who didn't fit in, or who couldn't make friends in the right places. These were ponies who were disabled, or suffered injury, or...”

Princess Celestia shook her head slowly and laughed quietly. “I helped the gifted and the healthy, I realized. And the gifted and the healthy might deserve nurturing, but they don't need help like these ponies did... like many of them still do. And I realized something else: I was always perfect, and poised, and graceful, and... I set the example... but if the example is perfection, how can other ponies be expected to live up to that? Well, I'll tell you how: by taking all the 'unnatural' elements and repressing them as much as possible. Sweeping everything that didn't fit with an ordered culture under the rug. And continuing to live by strict order and rules.

“I took another walk, and saw that not all ponies were truly happy. The foals weren't happy... they were all being told what they had to grow up as. Not nurtured as much as... trained. I realized what I was doing and...” Celestia shook her head slowly. “I didn't like it. So I decided to... to take a break. I stepped down from my throne and put the Royal Council in charge, I told ponies to rule themselves, to treat each other as they wanted to be treated, and to show love and compassion to everypony. That every single person has a reason for their existence, whether we can see it or not.

“At first it worked well, but... after a few years, the Royal Council began to get greedy. And at first I tried to steer them on the right path, but I've come to realize over the years that... if I truly want ponies to be able to care for themselves... if I want to one day, be able to move on from this job, and more importantly, get past this idea that there is an acceptable 'perfect' and there is an unacceptable 'not-perfect,' then ponies have to evolve for themselves. Our country has grown large, but our culture has yet to catch up and adjust for the variety of ponies living in it. Rules and order might have made us safe to a point, but now all they're used for is censorship and oppression.

“I could find a way to disband the Royal Council, yes. But what would that solve?” asked the mare with a friendly smile and a shrug. “First of all it would probably start a civil war, since the Council has quite a few very prominent, rich figures on it who are clearly more than willing to throw everything they've got at me if threatened. Second, it wouldn't be legal, and maybe not even morally right. I can't destroy something just because I disagree with it, especially after I was the one to put it into place. Third, until ponies want change... until they can stand up and declare, 'I want something better' and until they can bond together as one, to push back against a clearly-oppressive regime that uses the guise of 'safety...' stepping in for them will do nothing. If I am to lead... I can only lead by example. I can't lead by taking control like a Queen again, if I want the ponies to take care of themselves. Although they do have... two wonderful ponies to follow...”

“Luna and Twilight Sparkle.” Freya said softly, and Celestia smiled warmly as Twilight and Scrivener both approached the other side of the table. “And so your idea of being a positive role model in this instance...”

“I am a positive role model. I'll have you know that the freedom I've gained from letting the Council handle most decisions lets me go around and give all kinds of speeches about making healthy decisions... but more importantly, about not letting others rule you, and staying true to your own personal beliefs. I've even written a book on it.” Celestia half-lidded her eyes as she leaned towards Freya. “I don't teach dissension. I teach freedom of expression and the importance of standing up for what you believe in.”

Freya sipped at the smoothie, then leaned slowly forwards as well, asking gently: “And how has it been going, these last few years?”

“Better than you might expect. But it takes hundreds of years for creation, while only decades to destroy. The Council, even with all their protective statements and laws and order, is performing destruction: censorship that gets closer and closer to a state of directorial dictatorship.” Princess Celestia paused, then added almost innocently: “I'm only one pony, whether immune from punishment or not. I'm no heroine: there's little bravery in what I do, but I do my best to defend and minimize the damage the Council does to anyone else who dares to stand up to them, I can do that much without interfering unduly with society's own decisions and growth.”

“Are you sure this isn't all some vast rationalization to simply enjoy your own freedom?” Freya asked curiously, and Celestia tilted her head towards her, giving her a sultry, playful look.

“You wound me, Freya. My motives are pure and good. The fun I get to have is just a pleasant side-effect.” Celestia said kindly, and then she leaned forwards and teased Freya's lips gently, and the golden-armored mare smiled slightly before leaning forwards, both ivory mares sharing a slow, easy kiss for a few long moments.

Luna stared, Scrivener and Twilight both sighed, Discord whinnied like a horse and grabbed wildly at his own face, and Discombobulation's mouth worked slowly as Rainbow Dash only rolled her eyes. The two parted after a moment, and Freya paused before glancing over at Discombobulation and adding kindly: “Don't worry. I have plenty of kisses saved up for you too, Bob.”

“I'm willing to file this under 'masturbation.' You just keep... touching yourself. It's okay. I don't mind.” Discombobulation said awkwardly, and Discord nodded wildly in agreement.

Luna groaned, then she glared at Fun Celestia before turning with a huff and suddenly storming out of the diner. Twilight and Scrivener traded looks, then hurried awkwardly after the sapphire winged unicorn, as Luna muttered: “And now I suppose I have to be the responsible pony in this layer. This layer is horrid, Scrivener Blooms. Let us just hope things do not get any more... complicated.”

PreviousChapters Next