• Published 21st Mar 2013
  • 2,058 Views, 388 Comments

Synthesis of the Atheist - BlackRoseRaven



Luna and Scrivener become the targets of a malicious, narcissistic psychopath. 8th story in the 99 Worlds Saga/Blooming Moon Chronicles.

  • ...
34
 388
 2,058

PreviousChapters Next
Palaver Along The Path

Chapter Five: Palaver Along The Path
~BlackRoseRaven

When Antares returned home for dinner, he was still feeling... almost shocked, and a little hurt, even though he knew that was selfish of him. His head ached and his heart felt heavy and he really wasn't in a talkative mood, excusing himself shortly after dinner to take some time to sit in his room and try to think things through.

But it was partly what he needed: it helped him understand that if he continued to... stagnate, for lack of a more appropriate word... the world was still going to go on without him. Things were going to change, and people were going to grow, and... he would miss out on all of that. He would just... sit apart, until one day, the world grew so different from what he had known that he would forever be an outsider to it, and he'd never be able to catch up.

He didn't want that. He honestly wanted to be part of the world again... for himself, as well as because Prestige would want him to, he was coming to realize. And even though part of him cried out that was only his ego talking, he wasn't entirely sure anymore. When he had been working as a leader, he had come to understand how much each and every decision he made impacted not just himself, but his team, and all the people he was responsible for: he'd forgotten that just because he wasn't a leader anymore, that didn't mean his decisions had less of an impact on those around him.

Antares thought a lot about things over the following few days, as he kept mostly to himself, and he appreciated the fact that no one pushed him too much to find out what was wrong. He needed the time to think. But when the morning they would be leaving for Subterra came, after Antares finished packing up his gear, he walked out into the living room to find his father grumbling and attempting to fit all of his and Luna's equipment into a magically-enlarged saddlebag that wasn't quite magically-enlarged enough.

The earth pony seemed unaware of his son's presence, and Antares simply studied his father for a little while before the younger stallion finally cleared his throat, and his father glanced up with surprise even as he managed to shove the packed-up blue armor down and into the bag. Then he smiled a little, tilting his head and asking softly: “What is it? You okay, kiddo?”

“Yeah, I am.” Antares smiled a little after a moment, glancing down and rubbing at the side of his face before he murmured: “Funny, you still... calling me that. I guess I like it more than I should, too... you know, feeling like... I'm just a kid, and don't have to be responsible about anything.”

“Even when you were a kid, Antares, you were sometimes more responsible than me and Luna. Well, that's not saying much, I guess... your mother is outside with Sleipnir throwing trees again right now.” Scrivener said mildly with an easy gesture of his head, and Antares shook his head with a quiet laugh before the dark charcoal, older stallion hesitated, then added softly: “Look, no matter what, too... you are still my son. You're always going to be my kid to me and I'm... always here to help you with anything and everything, okay?”

Antares nodded a little, studying his father before he asked quietly: “Dad, when... do you think we ever... really get over someone we lose?”

Scrivener hesitated for a few moments, then he shook his head as he reached down and tied the saddlebag closed. Then he straightened and looked up with a small smile, saying carefully: “I don't know if we ever do or not, to be entirely honest. But I'm not saying that's a bad thing, either, strange as that might sound to say.”

Antares only looked nonplussed at his father, and Scrivener shifted a bit before he moved the saddlebag aside and stepped forwards to sit down on the futon. Antares automatically sat as well, and Scrivener Blooms glanced towards the blue flames crackling quietly away in the fireplace before he continued softly: “I still think a lot these days about my mother. I know it's not the same at all as Prestige Luster, Antares, but... I've never forgotten that last moment I shared with her, and I... I still wish I knew more about... how she felt about me, and just... what happened.

“But at the same time I guess... I'm glad for it. If she'd never given me that single hug, I would have... continued to hate her, and continued to think that I was always... unwanted, by both my parents. I would have been a lot more scared of raising you and Scarlet as my kids, for one thing.” Scrivener glanced up and smiled a little. “But I know that even if neither of my parents... were particularly good parents... at least one of them cared about me.

“It's hard to put into words but... after a while, the pain fades away, even when the questions and other thoughts remain. I still miss her, but I don't hurt as much over it. And it's compelled me to some good writing and helped me... keep certain things in mind.” Scrivener paused, then glanced over his shoulder softly as Luna entered the room from the kitchen, gazing at him tenderly. “Like how even when certain ponies make me mad... I shouldn't stay mad at them. Not when they could end up stolen away from me before I ever get a chance to... make up what I did wrong, or even say goodbye.”

Antares nodded slowly, and he studied his father, reading his emotions... seeing how much he was amplified when Luna approached and tenderly nuzzled her husband before turning her eyes to her son with a smile. He felt their affection for him, and it warmed his heart... envious as their bond made him when he thought about... “But... what about moving on?”

“'Tis no question for Scrivener Blooms... he has never been very good at moving on. He still remembers all his past lovers by face and name and other too-well-cared-for memories.” Luna said softly, glancing over her shoulder at the large stallion, who gave her a flat look. “And he is a hopeless romantic. But know this, Antares... the greatest betrayal of Prestige Luster would come not from moving on with thy life, but in removing thyself from the world. If thou ruins thyself, my child... thou destroys what Prestige Luster cared about most in all the world.”

Antares shifted and blushed, dropping his head forwards: he'd never thought of it like that before. Slowly, he closed his eyes and nodded hesitantly, then he looked up and studied the two... and he couldn't help but smile faintly when Twilight Sparkle joined them as well, his eyes roving to the Lich as he murmured: “I'm jealous of you guys sometimes.”

Scrivener only smiled a little and shrugged a bit, and Luna grinned despite herself, saying kindly: “Fear not, my young Antares. I am sure that in the future thou shalt enjoy thine own adventures. Besides, I am not so lucky, really... I have a librarian on one hoof and a poet on the other, any pony could mistake me for having a fetish for nerdery.”

Slowly, Scrivener and Twilight both turned sour looks on Luna, but the sapphire winged unicorn only continued to look positive as Antares sighed and hung his head. All the same, he felt... better, admittedly, like things had come together a little in his mind and in his heart, and he hesitated for only a moment before glancing up and asking finally: “How do I... prove that I'm doing it for her?”

“Does she want you to do it for her, or does she want you to do it for you?” Twilight asked softly, and when Antares glanced at her with surprise and a bit of a blush, the Lich smiled a little in return, her eyes flicking towards Scrivener and Luna. “I've... had my share of experiences, Antares.”

“Oh, thou art overthinking this and making far too big a deal of it all.” Luna scoffed, and then she grinned over at Scrivener, winking at him. “Remember our first night together?”

“Yes, because it ended up with me being dragged off to be tortured for several hours afterwards, while you snored happily away.” Scrivener replied dryly, and Luna cleared her throat awkwardly and shifted lamely before the stallion turned his eyes towards his son.

But he didn't speak when Antares looked up with a small smile and a nod, looking as if an idea had come to mind before he murmured: “I think I know what to do. Mom, Twilight, Dad... thank you all for... all being so good to me and... I think I know what I gotta do once we get to Subterra.”

“Aye, right, yes. Twilight Sparkle was complaining that we were behind schedule, but look, my sweet mare. Scrivener has all our things packed, and Antares seems ready to go as well.” Luna said comfortably, gesturing from one to the other, and the violet mare gave her a dry look before the sapphire mare huffed. “And thou scared Sleipnir off so 'tis no more 'distractions,' as thou so put it.”

“He was a distraction. And I didn't scare him off, Luna. I don't think much of anything apart from Celestia can scare your big brother.” Twilight rolled her eyes, then she shook her head quickly before glancing over at Antares, asking curiously: “So are you packed?”

“Yeah, everything's all ready to go.” Antares replied with a smile, and Twilight looked thoughtfully around for a few moments before the violet mare smiled.

“Then I think we're actually going to be on time for once. Alright, let's all head into Ponyville to meet with the others.” the Lich replied, looking both surprised and pleased, and then she headed quickly past Antares towards the master bedroom, adding: “Just let me get a few of my things and we'll head into town.”

Luna mimed Twilight's talking behind her back, looking grouchy, and Antares sighed and smiled despite himself, turning to head towards his own room. He stepped inside, studying the mix of messy and neat, seeing all of his parents in the arrangement of his bedroom: his bed was tightly made, his books were in strict order on the shelves, but trinkets and odds and ends lay everywhere else.

His eyes drew slowly to the massive mural beside the bed, and he softened a little after a moment: his mother, Luna, had fixed the damages that had been done to it as best she could, but her hooves weren't as deft as the original artist, and it left visible distortions here and there. Yet all the same, it made the art more precious to him, if anything... that she had gone so far to try and fix something important to him.

The mural was of countless people: all smiling, all together, standing in an enormous group. Faces he knew, like Applejack and Rainbow Dash and his own parents, and faces he barely remembered, like falcon-headed once-god Odin... and he could see even his own self, among the many others. It had been marred by the same creature that was responsible for the deaths of Rustproof and Prestige and other friends and allies close and far... the destruction entity, Cancer.

Antares shook his head quickly, forcing away those thoughts before they could rise up too high: the last thing he wanted to think about was that grinning monster. Besides, they had stopped him... it had almost been too late, but they had still managed to put a stop to him.

The glossy black stallion picked up the saddlebag beside the bed and strapped it on, then he hesitated for only a moment as his eyes roved up to a hook on the wall. Hanging from it was a necklace, with a pendant shaped like an onyx star: a gift given to him by his father when he was just a child, that he had used to wear all the time.

But after saving his parents, Antares hadn't been wearing it as much. He wasn't sure why, as he studied it for a few moments before finally smiling a little, his horn glowing and lifting it free with telekinesis. It floated quietly down to him, and the young stallion studied it thoughtfully for a few moments before he slipped it on... and it felt as comforting as it always had, the unicorn closing his eyes and smiling a little to himself as he reached up and touched the onyx star gently.

Then he shook his head and turned, heading back out into the hallway and down to the den room... only to stare at the fact Scrivener was holding his face in his hooves and glaring horribly at Luna as she tossed all manner of objects out of the saddlebag he had just packed, humming absently and spreading all of their armor and equipment across the floor in a mess.

A few moments later, Twilight headed back into the room, and her smile froze on her face at the sight of Luna digging through the saddlebag before the sapphire mare finally straightened with her horn glowing and a bright smile on her face, yanking free a rectangular wooden box and declaring: “See? Just as I said, Scrivy, 'twas packed away already.”

And with that, Luna dropped the box back into the saddlebag before glancing back and forth around the room, and then she sniffed disdainfully with an airy gesture of one hoof. “'Tis a mess, Scrivener. I thought thou said thou had packed up everything.”

“I am going to kill you one day, Luna. I'm just going to... grab you, and throttle you to death.” Scrivener said moodily, slowly holding up his hooves, and Luna grinned and half-lidded her eyes, leaning towards him.

“Now, now, Scrivener, make no promises thou cannot keep.” Luna replied pompously, and then she paused and glanced awkwardly up at the horrendous look Twilight was giving her, clearing her throat before poking Scrivener several times as she complained: “'Tis his fault! He said that I did not pack my art supplies but I was sure that I did! Therefore I had to prove it! 'Tis all Scrivy's doing.”

Antares looked awkwardly at Twilight Sparkle, then volunteered lamely: “I'm going to go ahead into town and uh... let the others know you'll be along as soon as you can.”

Twilight grumbled, then she nodded and sighed tiredly at the pleading look Luna gave her, saying moodily: “Some of us will be, at least. Alright, Antares, that sounds like a good idea. I think Celestia is trying to organize everyone so we can all head to Subterra together, see if you can find her.”

“Alright, Mom.” Antares smiled supportively, then he turned and headed down the hall, shaking his head with a bit of a smile. It was funny, how much his parents seemed to enjoy frustrating each other no matter how much they cared for one-another, too.

When Luna, Scrivener and Twilight arrived some twenty minutes after Antares got to Ponyville, they found Celestia waiting for them on the path leading into the village. Twilight smiled embarrassedly, but the ivory winged unicorn only shook her head, saying softly: “Don't worry about it, Twilight Sparkle. I'm... very used to delays when it comes to my little sister.”

“Oh shut up, Celestia. Thou art... a butt.” Luna grumbled in response to this, and Celestia sighed and shook her head before the sapphire mare asked curiously: “And why art thou here? Should thou not be... I don't know, marshaling our friends like soldiers, doing thy... endless scheduling and... tick-tocking like the great and terrible machine thou art?”

“Actually, since Antares got here and Aphrodisia and Avalon both seemed very eager to get moving, I let them go ahead of us. I believe Sleipnir and Pinkamena went with them, too, as well as Meadowlark, of course.” Celestia replied, turning around and leading them into town, as Luna nodded thoughtfully. “Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Apple Bloom, and your daughter will be waiting to make the journey a little later tonight... they all have some work to finish up first.”

Luna grunted at this, then she looked pointedly over at Twilight Sparkle. “Scarlet Sage gets that from thou, Twilight. Scrivener rarely gets all... neurotic as thou does.”

Twilight only looked sourly at Luna in response, and the sapphire mare quickly turned her eyes back to Celestia, asking curiously: “But all the rest will be walking with us? Are we leaving now?”

“In about ten minutes. Have a little patience, Luna.” Celestia said gently, then she turned her attention to Scrivener Blooms as the sapphire mare grumbled a little. “And you, brother. How are you feeling about things?”

“Anxious, I guess.” Scrivener admitted after a moment, looking up into the blue morning sky with an awkward smile. “Funny to be so... you know, about this whole thing, with everything that Luna and I have been through, I know, but... I am all the same. This whole idea of... being social tomorrow, and abusing my friendship with you-”

“Oh, it's no abuse, Scrivener, I'm glad to help you out and honored to stand at your side.” Celestia replied gently, and the stallion smiled after a moment as he bowed his head a little to her. “And I know it's very strange for you, but I'm sure it's all going to work out well. Just please do me a favor and try to keep your cool if Ersatz Major manages to get inside again.”

“Barry had better keep his promise about keeping her out.” Scrivener muttered, and then he sighed and dropped his head, shaking it out moodily. “And I'll try... have you seen her article in Rogues And Studs? Twilight won't let Luna or me get our hooves on a copy of the magazine.”

“I have, yes. And it wasn't the most polite article, but she was very careful... she's very good at twisting words to her advantage.” Celestia paused, then glanced meditatively over at Scrivener. “And I also don't remember ever abusing your rear. That sounds more like something my sister would do.”

“And has done!” Luna almost shouted, and when several nearby ponies stared, Scrivener dropped his head and turned almost beet red as Twilight touched his shoulder comfortingly. “Do not fear though, Celestia. Should thou ever desire to take advantage of my husband's rump I shall permit it. To a point, at least.”

“Somewhere out there, is a world where ponies love each other without driving one-another insane, and no one wants to do anything to my butt.” Scrivener mumbled, and Luna growled at him as Celestia nodded and smiled in spite of herself. Then the charcoal stallion sighed tiredly and rolled his eyes, adding dourly: “I will try and control myself, though. But hey, I guess it could be worse, if the worst thing she managed to put in there was that the Baroness molested me.”

“Actually, she made it very clear it was consensual. To be honest, I was a little surprised... she worked to paint us all in as negative a light as she could.” Celestia hesitated for a moment as Scrivener glanced up with a curious frown, and then she asked slowly: “Are you sure you didn't recognize her, or her name at all?”

Scrivener shook his head after a moment, looking down thoughtfully as he murmured: “That's weird, Celestia. Most ponies are a little protective of you-”

“No, not anymore.” Celestia shook her own head, smiling faintly... but it wasn't a sad expression, as she looked softly up towards the sky. “Now that I'm not in total power and control, now that ponies are experiencing a world... driven by itself instead of me, and history I haven't... modified or tilted in some way, shape or form... they're recognizing me more as a figure that... has its flaws. That doesn't always deserve worship... but I'm glad for it, my family. I can honestly say that even seeing them writing these... nasty things about me, it's a good step forwards in a way. I'd rather ponies didn't feel the need to write things like this at all, of course, but... I recognize this as a middle ground in a sense, a step towards being treated like anyone else.”

“Except thou art not anyone else, thou art Celestia, once the Princess of the Sun, then Queen of Equestria... now Baroness, in this new world we live in.” Luna said softly, gazing up at her with with a small smile. “Come, big sister. Thou must recognize that even now... thou art going to be treated differently because of thy status and thy privilege.”

“I know. And unless one day winged unicorns spread far and wide over the world, and my powers are forgotten about or hidden away, I'll still be treated different because of who I am, and who I've been...” Celestia hesitated, then nodded slowly. “But I don't have to be completely different. And here, in places like Ponyville, I can feel like... like any normal pony, if only for a little while.”

“It's nice.” Twilight said softly, and Celestia nodded in agreement as Luna grunted, before the sapphire mare sniffed and rose her head proudly.

“Of course it is nice. Ponyville is my little kingdom, or hast thou all forgotten this?” Luna asked imperiously, and both violet mare and ivory equine laughed despite themselves as Scrivener looked up with a mildly-amused look. “I am much better at having nice little monarchies than Celestia is. 'Tis because I do not kill everyone Celestia, that is the key.”

“I'll try and keep it in mind, little sister.” Celestia replied with a shake of her head, and then her eyes were drawn upwards as they approached a group waiting for them in the square in front of the library. “Is everyone ready?”

There were nods and positive replies from the ponies, Phooka and lone dragon all waiting for them, before Fluttershy said gently from where she was standing with Nirvana and her two sons: “Tender Trust went on ahead to catch up to her friends... I hope that's alright with you, Celestia.”

Celestia nodded with a smile, then she turned her eyes curiously to Cowlick as the engineer asked mildly: “So am I going to be able to buy smokes in Subterra, or am I going to have to make a trek up to Canterlot every day? And why the hell did you want us all to pack light instead of taking a carriage? Sleipnir could have pulled a damn wagon for us.”

The ivory equine only shook her head, however, replying kindly: “There's no point in overloading ourselves when Overseer Selene has promised to provide for us in any way we need.”

“So I can get demons to fetch me cigarettes?” Cowlick asked mildly, and then she paused and questioned curiously: “What about amphetamines? Hey, what about the really good drugs, like-”

Ross gently nudged Cowlick a few times, and the engineer sighed tiredly and nodded, reassuring grumpily: “Don't worry, don't worry, I'm not gonna go off on an acid trip or anything. Fun as that would be. Then again, I think the last time I did that was in high school and I really don't want to think too much about high school days.”

There was an awkward silence for a few moments, and then Spike shifted the backpack on his back and traded a look with Rarity, who smiled and nodded to him. “Hey, though, uh... Rarity and I were thinking that... since things have been pretty successful for her in Ponyville, we could treat everyone to dinner in Canterlot.”

“Hey, I should be the one buying dinner for everyone, Spike, it's my success and all. Apparently.” Scrivener paused meditatively, rubbing at his face absently. “You know, so long as they don't cancel everything on me. That... I guess that really kind of would suck for me.”

“Scrivener, admitting he has feelings.” Cowlick said wryly, and when the stallion looked at her sourly, she only grinned and held up her hooves. “Just surprised, that's all. Even if you know, between you and Luna, you are the girlier mare.”

Scrivener grumbled, but Rarity stepped in smoothly: “Yes, but... ever since my business really took off in town and I began distributing my clothing lines to a much-wider audience, things have been going so well for me... the very least I can do is share the wealth, especially after all the dreadful things Ersatz Major said about you and your family.”

The stallion nodded moodily, then he looked over at Twilight and said dryly: “You know, I think that whether you like it or not, I'm really going to have to see a copy of the article sooner or later. The whole 'not knowing' thing is kind of starting to drive me a little insane.”

The Lich sighed a little, and then she finally nodded hesitantly when even Celestia gave her a gentle look, muttering: “Alright. But everyone here, I want you all to be witnesses to me saying this is a bad idea.”

“What's the worst that can happen, Scrivy gets cranky or angry? Hell, I'd love to see him get mad and do something else stupid we can all laugh about later.” Cowlick said mildly, and then she sighed tiredly at the worried look Ross gave her, reaching up to stroke through his mane. “Don't worry handsome, I only mean that if it didn't make him too upset, yeah. You worry too much.”

Ross only smiled in response, and Cowlick softened before she added mildly, glancing over at Scrivener: “Besides, maybe I just want him mad so he won't be such a wet blanket. Maybe even join me and Luna in burning down a building or two.”

“You're very clearly chaotic evil.” remarked a voice, and Discombobulation calmly strolled up beside Cowlick, looking down at her thoughtfully before the chimerical creature looked up at Celestia: and as always, he didn't quite meet her eyes, and Celestia gave a subtle, awkward shift, glancing away. There was a moment of silence that seemed so loud it engulfed the entire group for a moment, and then Discombobulation cleared his throat and remarked: “We should all eat waffles. We can't be sad if we're eating waffles.”

Ponies glanced awkwardly at each other, and then Cowlick remarked: “That's true. Hey, Bob, did you tell her yet that you want to go back to banging her?”

Discombobulation's eye twitched as he slowly turned to face Cowlick, clenching his hands in front of himself as if he was wringing an invisible throat, but the engineer only looked up at him mildly before she dug at her vest and muttered: “Hey, ain't my fault I'm the only one here with a lick of common sense. Go after what you give a damn about, and don't be afraid to open your mouth and say what's on your mind. Now come on, are we going or not?”

“Cowlick, thou art being too loud and obnoxious! 'Tis my job to upset everypony into achieving their very best, not thine!” Luna complained, striding hurriedly to catch up with the engineer, and Scrivener rolled his eyes as he fell in step with Celestia as the rest of the group of ponies, dragon, and Phooka began to make their way down the road.

They were a large group, but the pace they fell into was comfortable without being slow. Cowlick walked near the lead with Ross, arguing and chatting with Luna and Spike, as Rarity followed a little back with Fluttershy, Nirvana, and the Pegasus' sons Virtue and Temperance. Scrivener and Celestia walked side-by-side, talking quietly even as the ivory mare's eyes lingered now and then on Discombobulation, who was striding near Twilight and every so often tossing a random... well, Scrivener supposed they were references, even if most of them were as confusing as ever to him and everyone else. But old habits died hard, he figured... ever since they'd first met the Draconequus, he'd talked in his own strange way, just like he'd also always referred to Luna as Scrivener and Scrivener as Luna. He'd always found that strangely reassuring somehow.

The stallion couldn't help but glance at Celestia as he remembered that she had been there for that... no, in fact, it had been her idea to see if Twilight Sparkle could contact Ginnungagap with the 'gift' Discord had hinted he'd left for her. Not that even Celestia had known what would come of it... but she had been there, all the same, since the moment Discombobulation had been born into their world. For some reason that resonated with him as he began to open his mouth, but Celestia surprised him with a question of her own before he could speak. “Not to intrude, but have you been hearing... his voice lately, Scrivener Blooms?”

The charcoal stallion looked ahead for a moment, biting his lip... and then the earth pony closed his eyes and shook his head slowly, asking after a moment: “How do you always know, Celestia?|”

“There are... certain tells.” Celestia replied gently after a moment, and then she shook her head with a small smile as Scrivener glanced up at her awkwardly. “I've been wondering for a few days now. You and Luna have been acting a bit... peculiar and loud, and usually you only get this way when Valthrudnir is involved.”

Scrivener nodded, looking nervously back and forth... but everypony was involved in their own conversations as they strode along the road towards Canterlot, and the earth pony hesitated for only a few moments before he dropped his head forwards and murmured: “I had a nightmare and... saw him, yeah. But more than that... I've been hearing his whispering on and off in my head these last few days. It scares me... it's like he's... getting stronger.”

Celestia nodded slowly, and Scrivener closed his eyes and shook his head out, muttering: “I don't even know what to do anymore, Celestia. Valthrudnir just seems to... it's like no matter what we do, no one can put a stop to him. He said that... as long as I exist, so will he. That I never really destroyed him, just... put him in a state of dormancy...”

“And the miracle flooded you with his energies and woke him up.” Celestia said softly, and Scrivener nodded a few times before the ivory equine studied him for a few moments. “Scrivener... you're not thinking that...”

“No, no. No.” Scrivener looked lamely at the ground, then he shifted a little and mumbled: “I mean... if I wasn't connected to Luna then... maybe... but as it is, no. Not unless... well... I won't even suggest that.”

Scrivener glanced up as, at the head of the group, Luna looked over her shoulder, their eyes meeting, trading emotions and thoughts, and Scrivener smiled despite himself at the mental recriminations he heard before the sapphire mare faced back ahead with a grumble. “Since any time I even think about it too much, Luna gets to pummel me.”

“And if I were just a little less patient, Scrivener Blooms, I'd be tempted to hit you myself.” Celestia said softly, and Scrivener laughed a little despite himself before the white winged unicorn looked up towards the sky. “The Jötnar... were more powerful than the gods, yes, but even Ymir couldn't piece himself back together after he was slain. Valthrudnir was destroyed in body and in spirit... as you often say yourself, his arrogance was his own undoing. The thought that if somehow, he still managed to survive, and now is trying to restore some coherent form...”

“I dunno.” Scrivener muttered, and when Celestia glanced at him curiously, the earth pony grumbled: “He doesn't seem all that interested in trying to get his body back right now, or even trying to make me do anything. He seems pretty happy with just being the douchebag sitting around in my brain, picking on me and driving me insane.”

“So you really think you're so important that the creature you've always considered your archnemesis came back from the dead just to spend his days mocking you?” Celestia asked curiously, and Scrivener glanced up in surprise... then couldn't help but laugh despite himself, shaking his head and feeling both a faint blush and a small smile, as the mare gazed down at him with her gentle amethyst eyes.

They fell quiet, listening to the murmur of soft conversation around them and the rhythm of ponies' hooves over the ground, before Scrivener said finally: “It scares me how... good you are at knowing what to do or what to say sometimes, Celestia. Especially when it comes to me.”

“Lots of practice, and a fair amount of work and effort, too... but it's always been worth it, Scrivener. You're my friend, and my brother... and I've learned that it's best to just ignore most of what you say and treat it as a joke.” Celestia gave him a quietly-entertained look. “Encouraging you not to take things seriously seems to help a lot of the time.”

“Yeah, well... that's me, I guess. Refusing to take things seriously seemed to be what kept me alive through most of my life.” Scrivener replied after a moment, and then he studied Celestia curiously, and the mare tilted her head with interest before the earth pony smiled a bit and said finally: “Funny. It seems like you're kind of catching on to that habit yourself, Celestia.”

“I like to think that I've learned a few things from you and Luna. Besides, I'm no longer in a position where I have to maintain a certain composure all the time and... having Sleipnir around helps too.” Celestia paused meditatively. “Even if he often still likes to frustrate me as much as possible these days, all the same. But... it's nice, in a strange sense I think you'll understand.”

Scrivener nodded, looking ahead as they strode down the dusty road leading onwards towards Canterlot, and the earth pony hesitated for only a moment before asking quietly: “What should I do? Do I just... try and live with this thing in my head? Part of me still hopes that it's just my imagination, but... more and more, he seems...”

Scrivener didn't need to finish, and Celestia nodded slowly before she said quietly: “I hate to do this, but I'd like to ask you to take some of your time in Subterra to submit to a few tests. I'm sure Selene will be glad to assist, and I think there are a few others that might be able to offer help, too. But we need to find out at the least whether this is just your mind playing a cruel trick on you, or... if Valthrudnir's echo has managed to begin... resonating, again.”

“And they call me a poet. You and Luna use fancier metaphors than I ever will. I just call everything a butt.” Scrivener muttered, and then he sighed a little and looked down, nodding after a moment. “Alright. Normally I'd argue and throw a tantrum or something, but when it comes to Valthrudnir... well... the usual rules go out the window. I just want to get this dealt with.”

The earth pony paused, then looked ironically up at Celestia, adding sourly: “And incredibly, I'm still more worried about the book signing tomorrow than the Jötnar in my head. There is seriously something wrong with me.”

Celestia only smiled reassuringly, and the charcoal stallion dropped his head forwards with a sigh, mumbling a little to himself. Twilight glanced up over her shoulder quietly at this, studying the stallion... and letting herself feel his emotions, like she was wading cautiously into dark waters. But she was less afraid of falling into a deep dark pit, and more afraid of startling the inhabitants of this lake, this ocean of thought and emotion... she still felt a little like she was trespassing, even if Scrivener and Luna had both told her again and again it was okay.

The Lich smiled faintly at Scrivener when he glanced up with something like surprise towards her, and then she nodded slowly to him, and he gave a small smile. She felt something... reassuring coming from him, and she closed her eyes and bowed her head to him for a moment before blushing and turning her eyes back to Fluttershy, as the Pegasus asked gently: “Do you have any plans for Subterra? I mean... I don't mean to intrude, but Burning Desire...”

Twilight shifted awkwardly, bowing her head a little before Rarity chimed in gently: “Honestly, darling... perhaps it's rude of me to say, but... you really should see him. There's something unfinished between you two, even if... you have back the ponies you love.”

“This is so weird.” Twilight mumbled, and Spike laughed as Fluttershy and Rarity both smiled. “It's... I appreciate your advice, I do, and... I mean, I really, really appreciate that no one's... freaking out anymore about my weird relationship with... you know. And I know that... I have to speak to Burning Desire sooner or later, but... it's so hard.”

She stopped, then Spike smiled a little bit, glancing over at her and saying softly: “Twilight, you always were great at looking out for people, and... helping solve problems and work things out for other ponies. But... and I mean this with all the love in the world... you've always been really, really awful when it comes to dealing with your own problems.”

Twilight looked up lamely, and Spike smiled a little more, saying quietly: “Remember when you and me had that big fight that one time? I think it was about... uh... right, yeah. You thought I had messed up the order of all the books in the library, but then it turned out it was the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Scarlet Sage, trying to do us a favor. You were so mad at me and I was pretty angry at you, and even after you found out what happened... you apologized and everything, but then you kind of... avoided me a lot.”

The Lich mumbled a little to herself, blushing but nodding, and Spike gazed ahead as he shifted his backpack a little, saying softly: “What I'm saying is that you need to... take an extra step, maybe. Go and see him, Twilight, and... you know that Scrivy and Luna will approve of you trying to fix things with him. Heck, I think over the last few years, they've talked to him more than you have.”

“I'm just scared of opening old wounds. It's... different, Spike, he loves me, and... I really do care about him. If not for Luna and Scrivener...” Twilight quieted, then she shook her head slowly, murmuring: “And maybe I am a little scared, too, of what he might say to me. Of what... might happen. I don't want to lose him as a friend, any more than I want to hurt him any more than I have. And... I'm not... I know I hurt him, but it's all...”

“Fuzzy.” Fluttershy supplied softly, and the others all nodded slowly before the Pegasus glanced curiously at Nirvana when he murmured something in his native language, and she smiled after a moment, turning her eyes back to the others. “My husband's right, though... he says that he thinks part of the reason none of us remember clearly is because... none of us want to remember clearly. After all, it all seems like it was a different world, a bad dream.”

“But I don't know if we can leave it as that or not.” Rarity murmured, and then she shook her head slowly before glancing towards Twilight Sparkle. “It was so strange... one day, we're all cheering Antares on as he leaves to find his parents, after years of training and searching... then there's that blurry darkness, and the next day, it's like Luna and Scrivener were never really gone, and Antares has those awful scars, and you're... back to normal.”

Twilight couldn't help but smile faintly at this, gazing silently over at Rarity as she felt the stitching flex over her body beneath the sweater she was wearing. The white unicorn only looked curiously back at her, and then the violet mare turned her eyes ahead and murmured: “I don't think any of you will ever understand what it means to me to... to be treated like... I'm normal.”

“Well, Twilight, you are very normal compared to the rest of us.” Discombobulation interjected mildly, reaching up and knocking twice on his metallic arm. “But being considered 'normal' in a den of freaks, well. Does that really make you normal?”

Twilight looked back over her shoulder at the Draconequus, giving him an amused look before he shrugged, then said mildly: “Misery loves company, as they say. Then again, I don't know if she really did or not... the way I hear it, she was no Wilbur, and her owner was a rather nasty woman with a fetish for bad writers. Not like Luna, though, I mean writers who were more than one-hit-wonders.”

“Thanks, Bob.” Scrivener called loudly, and Discombobulation gave a pleasant little wave over his shoulder, a few of the ponies laughing.

Then the Draconequus looked thoughtfully ahead before he laced his fingers together in front of himself, saying meditatively: “Still, though, I suppose it could be worse. They call freak shows dehumanizing, but if you're willing to walk in the spotlight and endure the catcalls of a roaring crowd for food, board, and money, then who's really being dehumanized? The so-called freaks, or the audience that turns into a screaming, laughing beast staring and drooling over that which is different? Do we ban these things out of actual concern for these people who are different, and who now, without this employ, are thrown out into the streets to rot because no one will hire the stallion with two heads because a pretty little mare makes a much nicer bank teller... or because we're ashamed of ourselves, because they're not the beasts, but we, the crowd, are the true animals, and while we think we're the superior animal because we're 'normal' and laughing at the freaks... we fail to realize that along with the food we're throwing them, we're giving away all our money for the opportunity to simply show what rude and feckless beasts we really are in our core of cores, our heart of hearts?”

Twilight only smiled, and Rarity chuckled softly as Spike said wryly: “If I could talk like you, Bob, I think I could give up being a blacksmith and instead just travel the country with Rarity, giving speeches about stuff.”

“Oh, I could never give a speech. I'd stare out at the audience, get the shivers, and then vomit all over myself. I hate crowds.” Discombobulation replied mildly, gesturing absently at himself. “Besides, what would I ever give a speech about? The benefits of prosthetic enhancements? Being raised in the wild by ponies?”

Twilight only shook her head, smiling despite herself, then her eyes roved ahead to Luna, who was talking easily with Cowlick. Ross had fallen back a little to talk on and off with Virtue and Temperance: Fluttershy's sons always seemed to enjoy talking with the unicorn for some reason, but Twilight was glad for it.

Then Luna glanced curiously over her shoulder, and Twilight gave her a small smile as she felt a connection between them for a moment as the mares traded an affectionate look. And then Cowlick checked Luna lightly, making her wince a bit as the engineer grumbled: “Pay attention, idjit.”

“Thou art an.. id-git.” Luna grumbled, and Cowlick grinned at her wryly before the sapphire mare huffed. “Oh shut up. Thy dialect is ridiculous and makes no sense to me. Thou art stupid.”

“Oh, you're one to talk, moldy-oldies.” Cowlick said flatly, and Luna gave the engineer a horrible glower before the earth pony mare rolled her unlit cigarette between her teeth, looking up thoughtfully. “So hey, once the parts get in from Manehattan, I think I'll be able to finish the first line of motorcycles, the Iron Horse models. You still want one?”

“Valkyries have always ridden into battle. While it would be far too awkward for me to saddle Scrivener and ride him into the fight, I think these Iron Horses would suffice nicely for the purpose.” Luna smiled slightly at this, and Cowlick grinned despite herself before the sapphire mare asked pointedly: “And one for Antares?”

“And one for Antares once I get more parts, yeah, yeah. Screw you, Luna, thinking I'd welch on something like that, that kid and Meadowlark mean a goddamn world to me. Hell, so do Ava and Aphrodisia... if I had the money and the parts, I'd give 'em all a bike.” Cowlick replied, and then she softened a little, gazing up and murmuring a quiet curse as she simply gazed off into the distance.

Luna softened despite herself, and then Cowlick shook her head firmly, reaching up and touching her chest quickly as she muttered: “I guess... I guess it just gets me sometimes still, you know? Rusty...” Another curse as she shook her head quickly again, then she looked up and sighed a little. “Wish I could have my own kid but... I don't think that's ever going to happen.”

“Take heart, Cowlick, thou wert a wonderful mother to him... and look, Ross is splendid with Fluttershy's sons, and thou and he both do well with the foals around town.” Luna said softly, looking at her with a slight smile. “Come now. There is still hope.”

“Don't feel like it all the time.” Cowlick grumbled, and then she shook her head quickly before looking over at Luna and asking curiously: “I've always wondered though. You and Scrivener... you two are gonna live a lot longer than us, yeah? Does that mean you can just keep popping kids out if you wanted to?”

“I am not going to 'pop a kid out' and give it to thou, Cowlick, if that is what thou art thinking.” Luna said sourly, and Cowlick grinned and laughed, making Luna smile a little as well before she shrugged and looked ahead thoughtfully. “I... do not entirely know, to be honest. I would say 'yes,' but... even though I am whole, so to speak, it still took time and effort to conceive Antares.” Luna paused and then winked over at the engineer. “Although 'twas time well spent.”

“Don't give me that look, Luna, I already had my experimental days in college.” Cowlick replied mildly, and then she sighed and glanced moodily over her shoulder at Ross, although there was a lingering smile on her face too. “And there's the one guy who probably wouldn't be thrilled by the idea of being in a threesome with two chicks. Even though... I guess that's part of his charm, too.”

Luna smiled a little as well, and then Cowlick shook her head and asked with interest: “And what about Twilight? Can she have kids?”

“Oh no, Cowlick, no, whatever makes ponies think thou art intrusive at all?” Luna asked wryly, and the engineer shrugged with a grin before Luna rolled her eyes and then glanced hesitantly over her shoulder. Twilight Sparkle glanced up in surprise, feeling the mental nudge... then blushing a little even as she shrugged lamely, and Luna nodded slowly before answering Cowlick's question in a murmur: “We do not know. And to be honest, Kilby Kwolek... much as I adore both Scrivener and my sweet mare, 'twould be... strange.”

Cowlick gave her a mild look, and Luna shook her head quickly, saying quietly: “No, no, do not misunderstand. Twilight is equal in all things. If she desired it and Scrivener agreed then... I... would not deny it. But I cannot deny my own feelings. I am selfish, Cowlick.”

She stopped, then murmured softly: “And of course, there is the other concern. Twilight is not... technically alive, and even though she is stronger now that she is anchored so firmly in myself and Scrivener... her body must still change from time-to-time. Even supposing she is functional in that regard... I do not believe a baby could be so easily transferred as her spirit is from body-to-body. And, if thou wants me to be fully honest... Scrivener is a Clockwork Pony, and he has... changed, since Antares was conceived. If he was to have another child... I do not know...”

The engineer studied Luna with interest, and then she glanced over her shoulder at Scrivener before saying softly: “You know, I still don't entirely get that. Dude looks mostly the same. I mean, I get that... he's got that dark goo flowing in his veins now instead of blood, but he's still the same obnoxious asshole he's always been.”

“He is still Scrivener, aye.” Luna smiled despite herself, and then she paused and looked back and forth. There were only fields and the occasional tree around them here, though, and otherwise it was just this group of friends and family... before the winged unicorn nodded firmly and looked over her shoulder, shouting: “Scrivener! Cowlick demands a demonstration of thy... Clockworkness!”

“Hell no!” Scrivener shouted back in a strangled voice, then he winced as Luna spun around and the whole group came to a halt, Twilight sighing tiredly and Celestia shaking her head, but looking interested despite herself. “I'm not doing it!”

“I demand thou does it!” Luna retorted loudly, and then she stormed through the group before firmly headbutting the earth pony, making him wince a bit before she murmured quietly to him: “We are in the presence of friends and family.”

“Luna...” Scrivener glanced back and forth tiredly, and then he sighed after a moment and asked desperately: “Why do I have to do this? Why can't we just... move forwards and... I dunno, wait until Subterra or someplace less... crowded?”

“No, now I really am curious. Come on, Scrivy, I wanna see whatever the hell Luna's trying to show us.” Cowlick called, and Scrivener groaned before he grumbled when Luna looked at him pleadingly, and the earth pony finally nodded grudgingly before he moodily held up a hoof and looked down at it quietly.

Unlike a normal pony's hooves, his had small, porous holes hidden on the bottom, and the stallion grimaced a little as he studied these before pushing his hooves down against the ground, muttering: “I guess I've never really showed a lot of ponies this before... but... well... I guess I can show you all, if you're interested...”

Cowlick grunted and nodded, and other eyes looked on curiously as Celestia stepped backwards and Luna nodded firmly. Twilight grumbled a bit, but Spike looked up with a slight smile, saying wryly: “Dash is gonna be pissed that he missed this.”

“Dash is always trying to get me to do something or other stupid, he can miss this.” Scrivener grumbled, and then he rolled his shoulders before planting his hooves firmly against the ground, grimacing as he felt a faint burning sensation spread through his veins, followed by a strange pulsing in his hooves as he concentrated the corruption in his bloodstream downwards.

Slowly, the ground around his hooves began to turn to black mire, Scrivener biting his tongue in concentration as Cowlick whistled loudly: after only a few moments, the earth around the earth pony had turned to dark, semisolid muck that pulsed with unnatural vitality, the earth pony straightening as he looked sourly across at Luna. “I hate putting on these private shows.”

“Oh shush, thou does not.” Luna replied dryly, and then she glanced over her shoulder at Cowlick, saying mildly: “And 'tis just one of Scrivener's traits.”

The stallion nodded, then glanced up when Celestia caught his eye before he nodded hesitantly, and the ivory mare smiled before she looked up and explained quietly for the stallion: “Over the last few years, we've... come to understand what Scrivener's purpose on our world was supposed to be. At some point, Valthrudnir was likely going to 'activate' him somehow, and bring the dormant corruption in his veins to life... similar to what happened during the war with Decretum. Then he would begin a process similar to what the Tyrant Wyrms do... spread the dark mire throughout Equestria, which empowers the Tyrant Wyrms and Valthrudnir's other creations.”

Scrivener nodded slowly, then he looked quietly down at the swampy earth before stepping carefully out of the dark patch, saying quietly: “And I can directly inject corruption into other living creatures as well. Celestia thinks there's more that I can do with it, if I try, but... I've been... avoiding trying a lot. I'm... I'm a little afraid of what will happen if I tamper too much with myself.”

The earth pony looked up awkwardly... but for some reason, he felt better getting this out to the circle of friends present, and he admittedly felt immensely comforted by the fact none of them were looking at him like he was a monster. Even though all too often, Scrivener thought that really was just what he was.

His tongue nervously licked over his teeth in his muzzle: sharp teeth, not a pony's teeth, one of the tells of what he was. He thought about what happened when he began to get angry, how the corruption would boil in his veins... creating other changes in his body he didn't like to think about. And he thought for a moment about the past as a strange thought passed through his head, wondering whether or not he was 'complete.'

Then Cowlick grunted, studying him thoughtfully. “So you're like a landscaper, huh? Or maybe I should say terraformer... I don't get why the hell you guys don't tell me these things. You know that if anyone can help you out when Big Barda there can't, it's me.”

Celestia looked dryly at Cowlick as Discombobulation tugged nervously at an invisible collar, and the engineer grunted and shrugged amiably. “Hey, what can I say? I like that nickname for you, Baroness, ever since I heard Bobby there call you that.”

“Don't call me Bobby!” Discombobulation said moodily, glaring at the mare, but she only grinned widely back at him as he covered his head with his arms and mumbled: “I think I'm just going to apparate to Subterra now, because I can't stand Muggles like you, Vasquez. Although 'Muggle' is a very appropriate metaphor for an earth pony, when you think about it.”

With that, Discombobulation vanished with a sound like the crack of a whip, and then Cowlick turned her eyes to Scrivener. But before she could speak, the stallion hurriedly shook his head, mumbling: “Let's just get moving, okay?”

“Alright.” Luna said softly, and the sapphire mare leaned in and kissed his cheek quickly, making the male smile and loosen up a little before she turned and strode back up to the head of the group. Spike fell back to chat with Scrivener as Celestia looked thoughtfully at the charcoal pony, while Ross resumed chatting with the others and Rarity asked some curious question to Twilight: but Luna's attention was focused once more on Cowlick, as the group began to walk down the dirt highway again. “Antares was... born seemingly without Scrivener's corruption, I think because he was conceived before that part of Scrivy was awakened. We do not know what we would risk... if we had another child. 'Tis just instinct that tells me there would be risk all the same.”

“Midnight Hour?” It was more a statement than a question, but Luna nodded all the same anyway, and the engineer smiled after a moment, saying quietly: “Funny, you two being all scared of that. Besides, I thought you were both all about... giving chances and not jumping to judgments.”

Luna shrugged at this, giving Cowlick a half-sour, half-amused look before she said finally: “'Tis... just hard to think about. And no matter what the story's origins, I have always taken Because Love Conquers All as a warning of what could be... and I fear that it almost came to pass anyway.”

Cowlick grunted, looking over at the sapphire mare for a moment before the engineer finally shrugged, gazing down the road and replying quietly: “Can't be afraid your whole damn life, Luna. Either you go for what you want or you settle for never getting any more than what you have... but I will say that you do have plenty already, you lucky bitch.”

“Oh Cowlick. Thy well-mannered vulgarities will never cease to amuse me.” Luna replied wryly, and the engineer shrugged with a grin before the sapphire mare looked forwards and smiled a little, gazing at the mountains in the distance that safely closed the mighty capital of Canterlot. “But aye, I am lucky. I am reminded of this every single day... so why should I fight for more? I am happy and delighted with what I have as it is.”

“Just make sure you share that wealth around, Luna.” Cowlick said mildly, and then she glanced thoughtfully over her shoulder at Scrivener. “Although I don't mean like, you know, that I want to be part of your orgies or whatever you two have.”

“Thou art just jealous that I have at my leisure a bevy of decadent delights, and thou hast but one dish to sample from the buffet.” Luna replied kindly, and Cowlick grumbled something about food poisoning before the sapphire mare snorted in amusement. “And all thou hast done is further prove my point.”

Cowlick grumbled, and then Luna smiled over her shoulder, gazing from Twilight Sparkle to Scrivener Blooms. The engineer couldn't help but look back herself, and then she sighed a little and smiled despite herself as Ross looked up at her curiously and with that innocent happiness he always had, and the rough earth pony couldn't help but shake her head and murmur finally: “Still. Sometimes one's all you need, right?”

“For a normal pony, perhaps. But I am far more than any single normal pony could handle.” Luna replied imperiously, but she was smiling softly all the same as she gazed back ahead, adding quietly: “Still, I think we understand each other all the same. My one... merely happens to be two.”

“Like I said, you're a lucky bitch.” Cowlick remarked, and Luna couldn't help but laugh and shake her head, closing her eyes and feeling a moment of warmth as they continued on the way towards Canterlot in the presence of friends, with thoughts of family new and old in mind.

PreviousChapters Next