• Published 21st Mar 2013
  • 2,059 Views, 388 Comments

Synthesis of the Atheist - BlackRoseRaven



Luna and Scrivener become the targets of a malicious, narcissistic psychopath. 8th story in the 99 Worlds Saga/Blooming Moon Chronicles.

  • ...
34
 388
 2,059

PreviousChapters Next
The Wheel Of Fortune Turns

Chapter Seventy Seven: The Wheel Of Fortune Turns
~BlackRoseRaven

It was a beautiful late summer's day: the grasses swayed in the soft breeze outside of Ponyville, and the sun shone down, warm and carefree. Good weather, glorious weather; for some reason, that almost artistic perfection, that simple happiness a nice day could bring, and the contrast it formed with the ravaged Ponyville, made it all the harder for the ponies and Nibelung to process the fact that so much of their beautiful little village was in ruin.

Big Mac shook his head slowly, wiping sweat from his brow, wearing a patch over his glass eye to protect it and remind the sometimes-a-little-slow dwarves he couldn't actually see on that side. They didn't really get the concept of a 'glass eye:' instead, they seemed to think it was some kind of magical gemstone that gave him his sight back. But he didn't need that any more than he needed all the other luxuries his little sisters were always trying to push on him. The farm came first... well. Home and family come first.

The stallion glanced up over the torn-apart walls and into the emptiness beyond: that bare, dead void that they had cleared of all debris, but nopony had quite dared to put forwards any real plans for. Not even Cowlick had said anything about what she thought they should do with it, and usually she was the first to take the initiative or say something stupid. Often it amounted to the same thing with Cowlick, but... she was a good pony. Great friend to Dash, great friend to Ponyville. Sometimes he thought she was probably a little crazy, but that was okay: they were all a little mad here.

The crimson stallion turned around, hefting up a stack of boards over his back and for a moment, gazing out down the northern highway. Everything out here had been repaired, the day was so beautiful, so warm, so normal that it made him think for a moment that when he turned around, he was going to see Ponyville was perfectly okay, that horrible attack had never happened, and all his friends and neighbors were fine and healthy.

He glanced over his shoulder, and instead sighed a little at the sight that greeted him: walls that had been so badly damaged in places they had been forced to tear them down and start from scratch, and a gaping mouth that was slowly being filled with a framework of iron, over which they would be laying insulation and planks and eventually tougher plating. And beyond that and the Nibelung and ponies working over the perimeter wall, just an empty void where Pegasi now had trouble flying and even when you walked over the ground, you felt like something was trying to crush you flat.

Big Mac shook his head a little, then frowned as he felt a tingle along his spine. Several others nearby seemed to notice it as well, glancing up from their jobs and where they were resting, and all eyes turned back down the highway to gaze up as reality rippled. Big Mac's eye sharpened at this, feeling himself stiffening up, ready to leap into action if it was something hostile... but a moment later, the sky itself seemed to shatter outwards in a blast of golden flames, and a bridge of rainbow light and energy burst from this hole, arching downwards and slamming into the ground.

The stallion's eye widened as others stared in amazement over the crackling rainbow arch, as white flames danced eagerly along the sides of the light-made solid, leading out of a tunnel of white light... and then, with a flash from the vortex above, a pair of ponies charged side-by-side out of the opening in the air, followed by several more sets of ponies and a familiar Draconequus. And Big Mac sighed in relief at this, setting the load of boards aside as Scrivener Blooms and Luna Brynhild both hit the ground, before his eye widened slightly in surprise at the sight of them.

He couldn't see any major changes to Scrivener's form, but Luna's body now clearly mirrored his larger scars... but on the other hoof, the sapphire mare was grinning widely and her wing was back in place, despite the fact that the crimson earth pony had seen it torn off with his own eye. They were shortly joined by Celestia and Discombobulation, then Antares and Prestige, and finally Pinkamena and Sleipnir came last just as the portal above closed and the Bifrost began to dissolve away into motes of radiant light.

“It's good to see you. We were starting to get a little worried.” Big Mac said with a smile as he approached, and Luna only huffed before she rose her head proudly as he drew his gaze pointedly over her, not needing to say anything to get his question across.

Luna, however, clearly decided to take another meaning, leaning forwards and waggling her eyebrows as she asked teasingly: “Tell me, Macintosh, is that interest I see in thy handsome eye and writ across thy handsome features? For I would be more than happy to entertain a little flirting, and perhaps a bit more... especially if thou desired to bring thy handsome friend Soarin' along for the... oh, shall we say... ride?”

Big Mac only chuckled at this, and Scrivener smiled slightly, shaking his head and saying mildly: “Excuse Luna. You know how some stallions get. Testosterone and all that.”

“Oh shut up, Scrivener Blooms. At least I have this testy-roan.” She paused, then grinned widely and winked over at Big Mac. “As a matter of fact, at the moment I most feel like a testy roan. Will thou not indulge me, as one stallion to another?”

“Nope.” Big Mac said kindly, and Luna huffed at him before the stallion turned his gaze to Celestia, bowing his head to her politely for a moment before saying in a softer voice: “Cowlick said to tell you she needs to talk. Don't know what about, Lady Celestia.”

“I think we all have a lot to talk about, actually. I'll go and speak to her.” Celestia paused, then glanced up towards the sky and studied it for a few moments before saying finally: “It's late afternoon now, Luna, Scrivener. You should hold off for tonight and leave in the morning... you owe us that much, at the very least.”

Luna grumbled a little, but then she sighed and nodded in agreement, mumbling: “Aye. I suppose thou art right, or at least right enough. Very well then, fear not. Scrivener Blooms and I intend first to head to Scarlet Sage's home in any event and speak to her, and we all know that Apple Bloom is a terrible gossip. She has picked up many awful habits from Cowlick, I shall have thee know.”

“Yup.” Big Mac only shrugged placidly, earning a flat look from the sapphire mare before he studied the group, then cleared his throat a little after his eyes drew over Antares and Prestige and the way that even though they had just leapt across entire worlds, they looked almost muted, and were staring longingly at one-another. “I'll be goin' then.”

Luna frowned at this, then looked over her shoulder before she nodded to herself, eyes filling with understanding as she saw how distracted the two younger ponies were. Bob began to open his mouth, but Celestia looked up at him pointedly, and so the chaos entity only sighed before silently making a tightening gesture by his jaw, as Pinkamena grumbled and half-dragged Sleipnir away before he could say anything himself.

Antares and Prestige didn't even seem to realize that everyone else had headed off until they were left standing alone in the middle of the highway, apart from the laborers around the not-even-half-repaired walls. They both looked towards these, watching the Nibelung workers moving back and forth, studying the ponies all helping out as much as they could, and gazing beyond at the white emptiness that now made up the northern section of Ponyville.

There was silence for a few moments, and then Antares cleared his throat quietly before smiling a little over at Prestige, shifting awkwardly before he murmured: “It's good to be back, huh?”

“I... yeah.” Prestige said softly, and she hesitated before looking up silently towards the sky. “But I'm going to have to head back to Valhalla soon, Antares. We can't be together, as much as I want to be. Not... not right now at least.”

“Will you be staying for tonight?” Antares asked almost desperately, and Prestige smiled faintly before shaking her head slowly, and the young stallion swallowed a bit before he asked again, hurriedly: “Well, can you at least come into town? I know Ava would love to see you, and the others-”

“No, Antares. I'm sorry. I have to leave now. I... I should go alone, too, I think.” Prestige said quietly, looking into his eyes, and the stallion trembled a bit before the mare smiled faintly. “I have to walk all the way to Subterra to get help with a portal from the demons, and... I... I think if I spend too much longer with you alone...”

There was silence or a few moments, and the two nodded to each other, studied each other, before Antares licked his lips slowly and then gazed deeply into her eyes as he leaned forwards and whispered: “I know we can't be together, and I know this is stupid, and I know you want me to move on and live my life. But I really don't care and I'm going to kiss you anyway.”

Prestige began to open her mouth, and Antares simply leaned forwards and kissed her firmly, and Prestige's eyes fluttered before they slid slowly closed and she couldn't stop herself from kissing him back. Their mouths worked together slowly, tasting each other, feeling a thousand memories blossoming in their minds with that passionate meeting; they slipped closer, deepening it, both wanting it to last forever and yet knowing they had to part, as tears rolled down the cheeks of both stallion and mare unfelt, unheeded.

They finally parted after what felt like a too-short eternity, gazing at each other before Antares smiled faintly, reaching up and wiping her faintly-glowing tears away with one hoof before he said finally: “I love you.”

“I love you too.” Prestige replied in a quiet voice, and then she smiled faintly at him, trembling for a few moments before she stumbled around in a circle and simply broke into a sprint down the highway, leaving Antares Mīrus staring after her, tears still streaming down his cheeks and the glowing tears of the mare on his hoof.

He watched her run until she vanished into the distance, staring longingly after her, frozen like a statue before he slowly looked down at his hoof. He studied the tears still glistening there for a moment, then leaned down and silently licked them up, closing his eyes and giving a faint smile as he lowered his head forwards.

There was silence for a few moments, and then Antares sighed quietly before he turned slowly around and strode down the highway and into the village, smiling faintly at the Nibelung he passed before his eyes roved ahead and he shivered a bit at the pressure that spread over his body. But the feeling of heightened gravity pressing down wasn't entirely unwelcome. In a way, it gave him a strange and not entirely-unwelcome reminder of Selene.

The empty, ashen-colored north of Ponyville was almost completely abandoned: he only passed a few ponies that were carefully raking the hardened earth, and a few demons that seemed to be... praying. Funny, demons praying... but demons sometimes needed something to believe in too, Antares figured. And demons had emotions that often ran deeper than mortals: ponies forgot to look past themselves and those right next to them, after all.

Antares shook his head slowly, trying to get his thoughts in order... but by the time he stepped out of the hollow northern section of Ponyville and into the downtown area, he felt like his mind had just gotten more jumbled up instead of less. He had so many conflicting thoughts and worries and anxieties, and he just wished that... he could do something about anything at this point. Although what he hoped for most, even if it seemed impossible at this point, was that he could find some way to help save his parents.

The glossy-black unicorn sighed quietly, and then he glanced up with a frown of surprise as a familiar voice said softly: “Hey, don't beat yourself up so much, big brother. We know you're doing the best that you can.”

Antares smiled a little despite himself, his eyes roving towards Apps and feeling a twist of relief through his stomach; it was like he hadn't expected anyone to be here for him after he'd bolted off to Decretum... or maybe just that some part of him had been terrified he'd come back and find everything was different or that while he'd been gone, something else horrible had happened.

But no, there his cousin was, and there was Tender Trust and Avalon on either side of her, all of the mares looking exhausted but far from dead, even speckled with signs that until recently they had all been helping with repairs. He studied the three of them before the paint-splattered demon smiled warmly at him, seeming as relieved to see him as he was to see her. “I knew I felt Mommy's presence. Did... did it all go okay?”

Antares hesitated for moment, and then he nodded slowly and murmured: “Yeah, it did. But we didn't.... I mean...”

He lowered his eyes then shook his head and finally burst out, surprised by his own vehemence: “It's just like Decretum all over again, though! Mom and Dad are going off alone, and I'm not going to be able to do a damn thing to help them, and... I just wish that I could. I just wish that...”

“Why can't we?” Aphrodisia asked after a moment, and Antares looked up at her dumbly before the demon shook her head firmly. “Antares, you can't just let them leave, you can't just keep letting things go out of your control and swallow it, you gotta stand up and fight! You deserve more, better than to always end up having to stay behind even after everything you and we and all of us have been through, but part of the reason you always get stuck behind is 'cause you keep just... just accepting everything is what it is, instead of trying to push for better.”

The young stallion stared with surprise at the demon as both Avalon and Tender Trust looked up at her as well, and Apps blushed a little and lowered her head before she whispered: “I just know that I could never give up Mommy and Daddy even once. I can't imagine how you're supposed to go through that twice.”

The unicorn smiled faintly at this, then Avalon looked up and said quietly: “Much as I hate to agree with Apps, she's right. And I hate even more to admit this but... the thought of losing my own Mom and Dad? I couldn't go though that.”

“Your mother and father should not feel they have to face this alone. I have been taught to respect our elders, but I have also been taught that even the wisest minds can make foolish decisions. And that there is no worse disrespect than blind obedience, like they are slavers and we are less than our animal cousins to them.” Tender Trust said softly, then the half-Phooka gave a faint smile. “Oka was afraid and upset while I was being treated, but she also told me she was proud of me. And that while she does not approve of me fighting as a warrior, she would have been far more upset had I run away and left my friends to suffer. Sometimes we must go against the wishes of our elders and follow the path given to us by our hearts, if we truly desire to do what is best for friends and clan.”

Antares looked down silently at this advice, closing his eyes before he murmured: “Dammit. I... I know. You guys are right and... I do have to do something. I have to...”

He halted, then looked up and nodded firmly once. “Yeah. I gotta do something. I remember once when Allonym told me that, dragged me out into the middle of nowhere and then just... left me there. And I did do something. I had to go against Aunt Tia's orders and Sleipnir's advice and trick my way past your Dad, Aviator, but I did something and... helped slow down Griselda. I just wish sometimes that... I had done more than that. Better than that.”

There was silence for a moment, and then the glossy-black unicorn smiled a little at his friends and said finally: “I'm gonna do something.”

The mares smiled at him, and Antares nodded firmly before he turned and ran quickly away, sprinting through the streets of Ponyville and heading towards where he knew his parents would be. The only place they could be right now, as he pushed himself hard to run down the streets with his head lowered and his mane blowing back in the wind, eyes focused sharply forwards as he told himself firmly: I'm gonna do something. I gotta do something, anything... I gotta do this.

He made his way through the streets of Ponyville, not slowing until he was crossing the yard of his big sister's home. Then he almost abruptly stopped, staggering onto the patio and freezing up in front of the door, swallowing thickly once before he straightened, took a slow breath, and then pushed his way inside and walked quickly to the archway leading into the den.

His plans were knocked a little awry when Innocence bolted into his leg and hugged him fiercely with a happy laugh, and Antares looked down at her with surprise before he gave an awkward smile, eyes flicking lamely up. Luna and Scrivener smiled warmly from the floor as Scarlet Sage glanced up with a quiet laugh, her eyes warm as Apple Bloom waved. “Good, there y'are. Scarlet was just about to send me looking for you.”

Scarlet smiled, and Innocence laughed as Antares picked his little sister up and cradled her in one foreleg before he forced himself to look up at his parents, saying firmly before he could stop himself: “I want to come with you.”

Scrivener and Luna both looked surprised, and Scarlet Sage's head reared back as Apple Bloom cocked her own. Innocence, meanwhile, only happily clung to her big brother, looking almost content for the first time since he had last seen her, and the glossy-black unicorn quieted as he looked down at this, feeling much of his resolve crumbling.

He looked up again at his parents, at the way the were both looking at him with faint smiles... not just at him, but at him, holding Innocence so naturally against his body, his baby sister quiet in his foreleg. He looked down at her with surprise after a moment, and then Innocence murmured a single name into the silence: “Antares.”

“Yeah... yeah. I... I got you, Innocence. Your big brother's here.” Antares said quietly, and then he glanced up silently and gave a faint smile across at his parents, adding softly: “This isn't fair.”

“No. No, 'tis not.” Luna agreed softly, and then she smiled faintly and closed her eyes. “I am proud of thee. I love thee. And it may surprise thee, Antares... but thy father and I would honor thy wish if we could. Thou art an adult, strong, better than we can ever be. As great a warrior? Nay, not yet... but one day thou shall be. And thou shall do it without staining thyself in blood and poison as we have.”

There was silence for a few moments, and then Antares looked down at Innocence and studied her silently as she looked up at him. Her big amethyst eyes looked at him with trust and adoration before she reached up and grabbed at his nose quietly, and Antares laughed a little before he whispered: “Either you really do love me or you really hate me, Sin. I just can't decide which.”

“Love.” Innocence smiled, and Antares closed his eyes tightly and trembled for a moment, holding his little sister: this child of Twilight Sparkle and Scrivener Blooms and Luna Brynhild, and he breathed shakily in and out for a few seconds as he understood that he did have something he had to do. Something that was just as important, even though it meant he also had to let his parents...

He halted, then looked up silently, and Scarlet Sage smiled before murmuring: “I just got finished yelling at them, Antares. You can try it if you want. But if you keep pushing going with them I'm going to yell at you too.”

Antares laughed a little at this, then he shook his head and said softly: “I want to, Scar. Yell at them and... go with them. But I just... I... we gotta trust in them.” Antares looked up at his parents, swallowing a little before he murmured: “So I'm gonna try and trust in them. Even if you... you guys are really stupid sometimes.”

Scrivener laughed and shook his head slowly, and Luna grinned widely and gazed warmly at her son, nodding firmly a few times. “Aye, we are, and 'tis funny but... I am pleased to hear thou hast figured that out. I hope that it helps thee understand that... thou should not feel thou should just follow in our hoofsteps. Thou should be thy own pony first and foremost, and carve thy own path... for 'tis...”

She stopped, then shook her head and softened, studying Antares with a small smile. “'Tis what is best, I think. But as thou hast said, I am stupid. We both are. And Antares, 'tis... 'tis not fighting and running headlong into the war that makes thee an adult. 'Tis making a choice like this... to fall back and stay to protect thy sister... that proves thy adulthood and maturity.”

Antares laughed a little and bowed his head forwards silently, and there was quiet for a few moments before the unicorn stallion turned his eyes down to Innocence. Apple Bloom smiled a bit, saying after a moment as she reached up to touch her wife's belly gently: “I gotta say that I'm glad for it, at least. Dealing with her for the last little while has been a lot harder than I expected. Now I'm scared as hell of what it's gonna be like when dealing with twins.”

“Well, you are the father.” Scarlet Sage teased gently, and Apple Bloom laughed and slapped her pregnant belly tenderly, then smiled and closed her eyes, leaving her hoof resting against the mare's stomach as something inside shifted and lightly pushed back. “You're gonna be a great dad though, all the same.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah.” Apple Bloom turned her eyes to Scrivener, smiling awkwardly at him as she said finally: “You guys just... you both better make it back this time, you hear? Hurt enough losing you last time, and... I know we're both gonna need your help with the twins.”

Scrivener and Luna traded looks, then Antares looked up from Innocence before he carefully set her down and murmured: “Wait. Don't promise anything.”

All eyes looked in surprise at the glossy-black unicorn, and he glanced up and smiled a little across at his parents, studying them before he said softly: “I don't want you to make a promise to come back because... it makes me feel like we're trying to drag you home or something. And last time you promised it... didn't turn out so well. Maybe I'm just being superstitious but... let's not tempt fate this time. Don't make any promises, don't make it sound like you have to... I want you guys to come home because you want to. Because your family's here and your friends and... we all want you back here.”

There was silence for a few moments, and then Scrivener and Luna traded small smiles before they both nodded slowly and the stallion said quietly: “Then we won't promise anything. But we both know how lucky we are and... that there's a lot of reasons for us to make sure we get back in one piece, as soon as we can.”

Antares smiled a little, and Scrivener and Luna both lowered their heads before Innocence bounded happily towards her parents and gazed up at them brightly. Luna and Scrivener looked back down at their daughter, and then the sapphire mare swept her up and smiled warmly into her eyes, murmuring: “And thou must be strong for us, Sin. But know that no matter what happens, thou hast family, and thou art loved.”

“Mutt. Daddy... Mommy?” Innocence looked up curiously at Luna, and the sapphire mare smile faintly before nodding slowly.

“We all love you very much.” murmured the sapphire mare, reaching up to stroke the filly's face gently, fighting down the urge to make promises she wasn't sure she could keep, and then she took a slow breath before sitting back and saying softly: “But thy parents will have to go for a little while, Innocence. There is a job we must do... there are evils that must be stopped, and more importantly, a chance to save those important to us.”

“Chesshure?” Innocence looked up, and Luna closed her eyes as Scrivener shifted quietly. The entire room went silent for a moment, and Innocence trembled a little. Antares studied the mare, and thought that she understood in her way what had happened... but that didn't mean the little filly wanted to accept it. “Chesshure...”

Luna reached down and picked Innocence up, simply hugging her close, and Antares hesitated only for a moment before he strode quickly across the room to hug his mother and his little sister. Innocence whimpered a little between them, and Luna felt both thankful and terrible all at once, surrounded by the presence of her family and promising herself and Scrivener silently she would see them again, and they would punish Thesis for what he had done.

The Sage-Bloom household became crowded by early evening: Scarlet Sage had insisted that they hold a get-together here to wish Scrivener and Luna before they left to face down Thesis. But it wasn't just for them: it was a... a refusal of a funeral for Twilight Sparkle. A way for all her friends to gather together and show her that they were all wishing her well, too, and wanted her to come back from... wherever her spirit had faded to.

It was also a much-needed almost-defiance of the pain and sorrow many of them were still feeling in the wake of the attack on Ponyville. Worse than the damage to the village had been the damage Thesis had done to the spirit and pride of its inhabitants: he had stolen more than lives and ruined more than homes, but their drive, their strength, their hope.

This was their way to get together, see each other, and look at the wounds they all bore and reassure one-another that everything was going to be okay. To remind themselves that they had survived Decretum, and they would survive this... and to pass on all those hopes to Luna and Scrivener, and show them how many ponies were counting on them to go, to see, to conquer, and most important of all, to come back.

Rainbow Dash, Big Mac, Sleipnir, and an extremely-awkward Barry all toasted Scrivener Blooms with tankards of ale as he only smiled amusedly and held up his glass of cola in gratitude. Cowlick lit up a cigar, earning a horrible scowl from Scarlet Sage that turned to horror when the engineer puffed it once, then passed it to Luna, who took it with a grin and took a slow draw before passing it back. Then she blew a large smoke ring into the air, as Celestia only shook her head and laughed, patting her younger sister on the back.

Friends from Canterlot and Subterra had joined them as well, and someone had placed a picture of Selene out on the back porch that had turned into a little shrine of sorts, as demons walked out and left small offerings there, as did a few others who wanted to show their gratitude to the Nephilim. Antares eventually found his way outside after some time talking with his friends and visiting with family, and he sighed a little as he sat on the deck, studying the Nephilim's portrait and how her galactic, infinite eyes seemed to gaze knowingly out of the painting even now.

He glanced back and forth, then looked down at the sprig of lavender in his hoof that he'd plucked a little earlier from one of the vases inside. He smiled a bit, then quietly laid it on the pile of flowers, murmuring: “It's not much, but I still wanted to say thank you and everything. You... you always kind of scared me, but you always did try to help. I think you cared about us all, even if you had trouble showing it. So... so thank you. I hope you're at peace.”

He sighed a little after a moment, then turned around before looking up in surprise as Meadowlark stepped out of the back door, turning her eyes to him silently. Antares looked at the Pegasus for a moment, and then he smiled a little and gestured over his shoulder, saying quietly: “I was just... saying goodbye to Selene, I guess. I haven't seen you...”

“You haven't been looking, either.” Meadowlark said softly, and the glossy-black unicorn shifted awkwardly at this before the mare sighed quietly and looked up at him, smiling faintly. “I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't apologize, that I should be mad at you, but... I can't be. I don't know why, really... maybe I'm weak, maybe I just feel sorry for you, maybe I just... love you that much.”

Antares looked at her for a few moments, then he mouthed slowly, beginning to shake his head weakly, but Meadowlark shook her own and closed her eyes. “I want to live my life with you, but... I don't think you really want to live your life with me. I know you care about me. That we can trust each other, that you would go to the ends of the earth for me, and that... we could spend our entire life together, and probably be happy.

“But as much as I love you, and I think you might love me... I know that entire life together would be filled with guilt, too, and the feeling that... we'd both just waiting for it to be over. That I'm just the lover you want until you can find a way to be with Prestige Luster. And this is so, so hard, but I also know this is best for us both, and I think you can recognize that.” Meadowlark looked up with a faint smile, shaking her head slowly as Antares mouthed weakly, wordlessly. “I'm sorry. It's all... bad timing and... I know this might just ruin everything between us but...”

There was silence for a moment, and then the Pegasus looked down and whispered: “But I'd prefer to hurt and still love you, then wait until I hated you. I want you to know that you're... always going to be special to me, and I'm probably not going to ever get over you, really... but I am going to move on with my life. I... I'm going to stay in Ponyville for another month or two, and then I'm moving to Canterlot. Zecora also offered me a chance to pilgrimage to her peoples' land with her, and I'm... I think I'm going to do that.”

Antares could only struggle to breathe, staring with disbelief at the mare as he trembled and felt a terrible empty void opening up inside himself, before he stumbled forwards and said weakly: “No, no... wait... wait, Meadow, I... I love you, come on, we can... let's talk about this, work things out...”

But his words sounded lost even in his own ears, and as their eyes met, he didn't know how he could deny her. Especially after that kiss he'd stolen from Prestige, and the way he'd... he hadn't even cared that he hadn't seen Meadowlark before now. He hadn't looked for her, even though during the party he'd gravitated between helping take care of Innocence, talking with his family, and hanging out with Avalon and others. He hadn't done more than ask about her, and... but... no, I mean... “I care about you. I... Meadow, we were going to move in together, talking about... the future, and... I mean...”

Meadowlark strode forwards with a faint smile, then leaned in towards him, her lips less than an inch from his... and he realized there was no instinct to meet them. To kiss her back, and the Pegasus simply nodded slowly before she leaned to the side instead and kissed his cheek quietly. “I know you do. I believe that. And I'm going to miss you... but we had a good time together. Now it's time for it to end, that's all.”

Antares stared at Meadowlark, swallowing thickly before the Pegasus smiled faintly at him, then said softly: “Goodbye, Mir. If you ever need my help, I'll never hesitate to give it. I'll always be beside you, as your friend. But I know everything else is over now.”

With that, the Pegasus took a slow breath before she turned and silently strode towards the doorway, letting herself back inside. She soundlessly made her way through the party, smiling faintly now and then at ponies she passed and trembling only a little, taking in the sight of all these different people who had been like friends and family until she reached the front door.

She passed a moody-looking earth pony in a suit who was leaning grumpily over the railing of the front porch, a Pegasus beside him murmuring away words that Meadow couldn't make sense of. Then again, just about everything seemed blurry... that was, until Avalon suddenly landed in front of her just before she could reach the street, the tiny Pegasus asking sharply: “And where do you think you're going, huh?”

Meadowlark flushed and turned her head quickly away, before she glanced over her shoulder as she heard hoofsteps in the grass, saw Aphrodisia approaching with her eyes narrowed intently. The Pegasus trembled, turning hurriedly back forwards, and Avalon buzzed up in front of her with a look of surprise, asking awkwardly: “Hey, whoa, what's wrong? Are you... crying?”

Meadow looked up dumbly: she had been half-expecting them to give her a beating for upsetting their friend. She forced a smile after a moment though, shaking her head and managing out: “N-No, not at all, just... I just... have to go.”

“You broke up with Antares.” Aphrodisia said quietly, and Meadowlark winced, looking over her shoulder with surprise as Ava began to scoff... then stared in disbelief, mouth falling agape as Meadowlark's breath hitched.

She looked over her shoulder at the demon, and Aphrodisia smiled faintly and shrugged, straightening as she murmured: “Emotional reading, sorry. Nothing else would make you so... sad. And hurt. And... you seem happy, too.”

Meadowlark laughed faintly and looked forwards with a flush as Avalon swallowed a bit, and then the tiny mare settled to the ground and tried to speak before she finally managed out lamely: “You uh... well. You want to go get a case of beer and talk about it?”

“W-Why? You... neither of you ever liked me that much, you were always Antares' best friends...” Meadowlark replied with a frown, looking back and forth in surprise, and Apps smiled faintly as she stepped up beside her, the demon gazing at her softly.

“We are, and you are smelly and dumb, Meadow, but... we're your friends as well as Antares'. Antares has his whole family here, and we'll be able to be there for him tomorrow and every day after that. But you.... you kinda look like you need a little help tonight.” Aphrodisia said softly, nodding after a moment to the mare.

Avalon shrugged in agreement, then she looked down and rubbed the back of her head awkwardly before mumbling: “And... well... you know. It'd really suck for you to do something that makes me want to punch you in the face and then like... die or something. Plus I can't get drunk here. Dad'd probably just laugh but Mom'll murder me.”

Meadowlark smiled faintly at the tiny mare, then she stepped forwards and hugged her fiercely up against her body, Avalon wincing and flailing a bit before groaning and throwing her head back, muttering: “Goddammit. Get. Get off me, and let's go get wasted and talk about how stupid boys are. Is... I mean... does this mean...”

The larger Pegasus nodded a bit, trembling a little as she looked down and let Avalon slip away, breathing uneasily before she murmured: “Yeah. I love him, but... he loves Prestige more, still, even though she's gone. I can't compare to her and I can't replace her and he can't move on from her. This... this is for the best. So I told him and... that's it.”

“Mares.” muttered a voice sourly, and Meadowlark couldn't help but flush and look over her shoulder at the earth pony that was dressed in a suit, who had apparently been listening in on their conversation. The Pegasus beside him was looking at the thin, sour-looking earth pony with something like horror, and it only deepened when the stallion asked Meadowlark wryly: “So what really happened? You run out of ways to make him give you pretty things, or did he just run out of bits?”

“N-No!” Meadowlark almost shouted, trembling and stepping backwards, looking hurt. “How c-could you... I don't even know you, and...”

“Yeah, I don't know you either, but you talk to her like that again and I'll kick your flank!” Avalon snapped, shooting forwards and glowering at the earth pony, who glared back before he shoved himself away from the railing and stormed off the patio to almost shove face-to-face with her.

The two growled at each other, and then the stallion reached up and shoved Avalon backwards by the head, making her snarl before she shook a hoof at him threateningly. “I'm gonna shove this down your throat and rip out your lungs if you keep this up!”

“Good luck with that, snack-pack. I've seen slave hoofs up north fed mushrooms bigger than you.” the earth pony said with disgust, and Avalon glared furiously as Aphrodisia grumbled, then her eyes widened in horror as the stallion leaned down and asked moodily: “Wait. Aren't you the spawn of the girl who wanted to be a real boy? No wonder you look like a colt.”

Avalon stared... then yelled furiously and tackled the earth pony's face, and he shouted back at her before the two rolled together over the ground, Meadowlark staggering backwards in disbelief and Aphrodisia yelling angrily down at the two, leaping forwards and dancing around them as the Pegasus stallion almost-threw himself off the deck to try and grab the earth pony. But the two were kicking and flailing in every direction, and there was nothing anyone could do to part the two until the sound of a mare's quiet laughter jerked the earth pony's attention away.

Avalon slung a last punch into the stallion's face, but he barely seemed to even notice it as he stared up at Ersatz Major, who smiled calmly as she looked down at him before saying gently: “Hello, Xeric. I'm very glad to see you've made a friend.”

“Underbrush. It's Underbrush.” muttered the stallion, and then he shoved Avalon away, sending her rolling backwards as Aphrodisia began to open her mouth, but Meadowlark violently shook her head, staring with eyes filled with both tears and disbelief at the mogul. As he picked himself up, his eyes roved moodily over Ersatz and the pretty dress she was wearing, before he looked in distaste up at her horn as he asked: “Where's your stallion escort? Or did you not pay him enough?”

“You wouldn't be this upset if you hadn't seen Burning Desire with me earlier.” Ersatz said softly, and then she smiled over at Avalon as the Pegasus kicked herself up and moodily rubbed at her bloody nose. “You'll have to excuse him. Xeric has trouble properly expressing his emotions.”

“Don't apologize for me.” Underbrush snarled, but Ersatz only smiled at him kindly again before the stallion spat at her hooves and muttered: “Greedy proud-horn.”

Ersatz only shrugged calmly, and Underbrush looked oddly unsettled before Ersatz said softly: “Then apologize yourself, Xeric. Not to me, to these poor girls. You don't mean what you said at all... I know I was awful to you, but you and I both know it's not because I was a mare, any more than it was because I was a unicorn. It was because I was an awful pony, for a little while.”

There was silence for a few moments, and then Underbrush gave a long, tired sigh before he turned his eyes over his shoulder moodily. Then he finally almost sneered at Avalon, leaning towards her and saying distastefully: “I'm sorry you were born a girl.”

“I'm gonna kill you. I'm going to kick your ass so hard it's... you're... you're gonna cry!” Avalon struggled out, snarling in fury at the earth pony, and then she lunged forwards and glared into his eyes. “What do you gotta say to that?”

“I say you must not have many brain cells to rub together. I could beat you to death with my bare hooves in front of all these witnesses and no prosecutor across this barony would dare to lay a hoof on me. I could have the taxes increased on your farmland and force you into foreclosure. I could make it illegal for you to sell your apples inside any major city in this barony or its neighbors.” Underbrush threatened, leaning forwards and baring his teeth at her, and Avalon glared furiously back, undeterred. “I can ruin your entire family and the lives of all your friends. And so I have to ask, why aren't you begging and pleading and crying?”

“Because, asshole, maybe that's true for your world, but we ain't in your world right now. This is Ponyville, and we take care of each other, where ponies like me can beat ponies like you into snot!” Avalon snapped, and she gritted her teeth before leaning forwards and snapping: “And my Mom and my Dad taught me to always stand up for what's right and never back down to bullies like you, no matter what they threaten! You're a coward if you have to hide behind all your big-shot friends, and I don't ever, ever back down because some goddamn fink in a fancy suit tells me to!”

She reached forwards and grabbed one of his breast pockets, ripping it firmly off and tossing it down before stomping on the material a few times, and Underbrush scowled at her. She glared back, trembling, but refusing to be afraid: she saw the challenge in his eyes, and she was determined to beat him, here and now, before she whispered: “And you know what the worst part is? Even if I wanted to stop, I can't, because you said something I just can't overlook to my friend back there, and we take care of our friends. Mom's always said... even if it meant losing the farm, family and friends come first.”

There was silence for a moment, and then Underbrush looked over the tiny Pegasus moodily before he reached up and ruffled her mane. Avalon snarled at him, her eye twitching, before the publisher looked distastefully past her at Meadowlark. “I recognize you now. That moron Barry called you Scrivener's protege... yeah, I keep an eye on everything related to that bastard slave hoof.”

Aphrodisia growled at this, arching her back like a cat, but Underbrush ignored her as he looked at Meadowlark and sized her up for a moment, then jerked his head moodily at the pale, slightly-terrified Pegasus stallion standing just behind him. “Doctrine here deals with one of my smaller presses for me. I know you were planning to run away and cry and drink with your little filly-fooling friends, but maybe instead you can do something productive with your life. He needs an assistant for fact-checking and research. Right, Doctrine?”

Underbrush tossed a glare over his shoulder at Doctrine, who gaped, then mouthed a few times before nodding hurriedly when the earth pony snarled at him, and Meadowlark flushed and reached up to touch her lips, trembling as she whispered: “I... I really need tonight... I don't think I can make any major decisions and... and... I'm supposed to go... out of country...”

“If it's for research purposes the company will fund your travel expenses.” Underbrush said distastefully, and all eyes stared at him as Ersatz only smiled a little and shook her head slowly, before the earth pony turned away and stormed off towards the patio. “Doctrine, sell the job to her or you're fired. And snack-pack, work on your right hook.”

“I'll join you.” Ersatz said gently, striding quickly over to Underbrush as Avalon shouted profanities at the businesspony's back, but they went ignored as Underbrush flicked blood from his bruised features and headed inside, the half-demon following behind him as she murmured: “You've always had the strangest way of apologizing for-”

“And what's this, your way of apologizing to me?” Underbrush snarled as he spun around, glaring up at her, and the two looked at each other silently before he said disgustedly: “Look, I don't care what you did to get your magical powers. I don't care what your relationship is with that demon stallion you're whoring yourself out to if he isn't whoring himself to you. I don't care-”

“If you didn't care it wouldn't hurt you every time I called you 'Xeric.'” Ersatz said quietly, and when Underbrush opened his mouth, Ersatz gave a faint smile and said softly: “If I truly want to make myself into a better pony, and make up for the mistakes I made in the past... I have to try and save you, Xeric Underbrush. Because I know that I'm at fault in large part for making you the way you are today. And if at all possible, I'd like to stop you from destroying yourself.”

She paused, then reached up and calmly straightened his tie with her hooves, Underbrush slowly closing his mouth before she smiled a little more. “Maybe you can stop picking fights and squashing ponies that disagree with you and... come and meet some of my friends. There's a 'slave hoof,' as you like to say, named Sleipnir, that I think you would be very interested in meeting.”

“Oh, whatever.” Underbrush muttered, shaking his head and beginning to lower it, and then his eyes flicked up and glared at Barry as the agent staggered into the hall from the other end with a wheeze, then squeaked and froze like he'd just been caught in blinding light from the glare of the earth pony. “Barry! Go find your idiot client, tell him that if he doesn't have another book ready for me within three months, I'm going to rip up my contract with him and gut your entire business like a fish. Do I make myself clear?”

“Sir yes sir!” Barry squeaked, saluting with a tremble before he spun around and staggered hurriedly back into the room he'd just left, paling as he looked wildly back and forth through the kitchen as Applejack glanced up curiously from where she was helping Pinkie Pie put together some more snacks for guests. “Oh g-god, where's Scrivener Blooms?”

“Out back, paying their respects to Selene with a few others. You seen Antares at all? He was supposed to be out there too, but it looks like he wandered off somewhere.” Applejack paused, then frowned over her shoulder at Rainbow Dash, who was seated comfortably at the dining room table, playing poker with Soarin' and Cowlick, while Ross watched over the engineer's shoulder with a happy smile. “Speaking of which, you seen Avalon around?”

Rainbow only shrugged, and Soarin' glanced up even as he pushed a pile of bits forwards. “Fifteen. And uh... well, last I heard from her was probably half an hour ago.”

“So how is it offensive when I call you gay, but not when she does?” Cowlick asked mildly as she tried to shift the sling on her foreleg, and Soarin' gave her a flat look. “Hey, I'm just curious here. Besides, I need something to distract myself. Ross here won't let me have more than one smoke a day with these goddamn pills I'm taking. Haven't had caffeine or an amphetamine in forever either, so I feel as stupid as Dash does on a regular day right now. I raise ten, by the way.”

“Call. Asshole.” Rainbow Dash said mildly, pushing his own bits forwards before he hesitated and asked in a quieter voice: “Hey, Cowlick... this might be weird of me to ask, but... you got any tricks under your saddle for Scrivener and Luna? Scrivy's weird but a good guy, Luna's completely crazy but you know she's right up there with Celestia on the 'ponies we need around' list, and... Twilight is still... in there with them. And I just don't think I could live with seein' Antares go through losing them all over again, you know?”

There was silence, but surprisingly it was broken by a laugh from Barry, who strode over and firmly patted Dash on the shoulder, earning a look of surprise from the Pegasus stallion. “Look sport, don't you worry a thing about that, okay? I got no worries, zip, zero, about champ coming back from whatever the hell he's getting into. As far as I'm concerned, this whole crazy deal is a non-issue.”

The agent smiled and glanced around at the ponies, who were all staring at him, and then he softened a little and said in a quieter voice: “Yeah, I know. I saw what happened out there, I heard all about what happened to champ and girl-champ, and I see that poor Lady Twilight ain't on her hooves right now. I know all about Decretum and how everything went wrong before it went right, but you know what? Even if everything goes wrong again, they got great friends like you guys all lookin' out for them. Ready and willing to do everything to get 'em back. And they clearly are too stubborn to die, so even if they get lost... someone'll go and find 'em, right? Besides, you guys got contacts up in Heaven and down in Hell! You don't get a whole lot sweeter than that!”

Rainbow Dash smiled after a moment, then he nodded a few times before Barry added with a grin over at Cowlick: “Also, your friend over there just has garbage in her hoof.”

“Hey, screw you!” Cowlick snapped immediately, and then she winced before grumbling and throwing down her cards, glowering as Rainbow grinned widely and Barry skittered away from the table. “Goddammit. Could have bluffed my way out of that.”

“It's okay, Cowlick. It's just a game, games are just for fun, right?” Ross said encouragingly, and the engineer sighed but smiled and nodded a few times before glancing up and watching as Barry quickly left the kitchen through the doors at the back.

He strode onto the patio to find Luna and Scrivener with Celestia just behind them, their gazes focused on Selene's portrait and the pile of offerings. Innocence was out here as well, quietly looking up at her parents, and the lanky agent shifted a bit before he looked awkwardly into the backyard, where the armored Nightmare Eventide seemed to be holding conversation with a familiar Kelpie. The demon glanced up, then smiled softly at Barry, giving him a wave, and he awkwardly cleared his throat as he waved back at Hevatica, mumbling her name before he looked forwards.

Scrivener glanced over his shoulder, and the stallion smiled a little as he turned around before Barry said quietly: “Lots of ponies are worried about you, champ. I'm tryin' to do my thing, keep 'em settled down, but... you know. And uh... Underbrush... well...”

“Whatever Underbrush wants can wait. Just write it down on my calender, and when I get back we can talk about it.” Scrivener said softly, and Barry nodded lamely a few times before the charcoal stallion turned his eyes back towards Selene's portrait, rubbing a hoof gently along Innocence's back, a small smile spreading over his features. “I think I'm going to do some research on Nephilim. There's not a lot of information but... well, Selene left a whole bunch of little personal things in her room, just sitting out in the open. Almost like she knew what was going to happen, and wanted to let us know...”

Luna only laughed quietly and shook her head slowly, murmuring: “But who can know for sure, Scrivener Blooms? 'Tis impossible to say. She was always a maddening, frustrating creature, that is what I have to say upon that subject... and I shall miss her dearly.”

Scrivener nodded slowly, looking down before he and Luna both sighed softly, and Celestia rose her head before glancing over her shoulder at Barry. She studied him for a moment as Barry looked back at her lamely, and then the ivory winged unicorn finally smiled a little and said softly: “Normally I ask Scrivener Blooms this, but I have a speech to prepare. A very important speech, and... perhaps you could help me draft it out. I have the feeling that my brother and sister... this is the last night for a while we're going to get a chance to see them.”

“Don't say that, sister. We shall come back... and nay, nay, that is not a promise. 'Tis just what I plan to do.” Luna smiled slightly, looking up at the sapphire mare before she shook her head slowly and returned her eyes to the portrait. “Scrivener Blooms and I have many reasons to return here, after all... our daughters, our son, the fact we are to be grandparents... I cannot miss that, Celestia. I refuse to miss the birth of my grandchildren. Any more than I could bear to leave Innocence without parents.”

Celestia nodded slowly, then turned her eyes softly towards the agent, saying quietly: “Still, though. I may have to present this speech within a month. I could use your assistance.”

Barry smiled faintly, bowing his head low as he mouthed words for a few moments, then finally said humbly: “I'm a businesspony. Not a writer, Baroness Celestia...”

“I think you do better than me with stuff like this, Barry. You know how to sell an audience.” Scrivener Blooms said softly as he turned around, and Barry looked up with surprise... then he swallowed back loudly before the agent leapt forwards and seized the stallion in a tight hug, making the charcoal pony wince.

After a moment, a small smile came to Scrivener's face, and he awkwardly patted the lanky earth pony on the back as he looked down at Innocence, and Innocence gazed radiantly back. And Scrivener silently made the same promise he had heard Luna make, that still echoed through his mind; they would put an end to this, they would stop Thesis, and they would come back alive.

Author's Note:

Chapter Theme:
Lily Allen - Chinese

PreviousChapters Next