• Published 21st Mar 2013
  • 2,059 Views, 388 Comments

Synthesis of the Atheist - BlackRoseRaven



Luna and Scrivener become the targets of a malicious, narcissistic psychopath. 8th story in the 99 Worlds Saga/Blooming Moon Chronicles.

  • ...
34
 388
 2,059

PreviousChapters Next
Method Of Last Resort

Chapter Seventy Four: Method Of Last Resort
~BlackRoseRaven

Luna and Scrivener Blooms were in the dreamworld: physically, their bodies were in Canterlot, in a modified version of Twilight's healing bath, the waters black from the Prometheus Elixir that surprisingly, Celestia had insisted on adding to the mix.

They were asleep, but Celestia was sitting nearby, keeping a close eye on them. It was the morning following the battle, and Ponyville and the surrounding area was nothing but a mess. There were reports of violence all across Celestia's barony, thanks to all the monsters that Thesis had dragged with him, then promptly abandoned once he'd gotten what he wanted. Everything was in chaos, and Celestia didn't have the strength to do much to stop it right now, leaving cleanup operations to Sleipnir and Morning Glory so she could concentrate on helping Scrivener and Luna recover first and foremost.

But in the dreamworld, Scrivener and Luna felt strangely calm, like they had all the time in the universe. Possibly because they did, as they both sat in a dark, beautiful forest, where they gazed upon the body of Twilight Sparkle. She laid silent and unmoving inside a glass coffin on a raised dais, her eyes closed, her features peaceful. It was morbid, but beautiful... and in a way, reassuring. If Twilight had been truly gone, they wouldn't have been able to find any traces of her.

For now, they were going to let her sleep. Her spirit had been devastated by the reapers, and would take... it was impossible to say. And neither Scrivener nor Luna wanted to admit it, but it was possible Twilight would never wake up, or even if she did, never able to sustain a physical body. But they were going to do everything they could to help her. And to punish Thesis for what he had done.

Luna and Scrivener looked quietly at each other, then calmly turned around to look at the other residents in their mental world. Valthrudnir was standing calmly beside Nightmare Moon, the Jötnar seeming uncomfortable as he played with his bolo tie, while Nightmare Moon had her head bowed forwards and her eyes closed, silent and sorrowful. The two ponies studied these strange creatures they were now allied alongside for better or worse, and then Scrivener silently reached up a claw to take Luna's bladed hoof gently.

Finally, Valthrudnir broke the silence as he cleared his throat, then laced his fingers together in front of himself, visibly fighting not to fidget or reach for his cards as he said quietly: “I believe your hypothesis is correct. Whether or not I find your intelligence appreciable... it's all too clear that the death entity was attempting to assist us. Thesis is using his homeworld as a base, one of the first layers that I conquered and destroyed. But... one, two thousand years... perhaps even more... have passed since that time, during which I have used that layer in particular as nothing but a waste dump and disposal site for old projects. I don't dare guess at what it may look like.”

“We desire to rip him apart. But... we must be patient. We bow to your knowledge and wisdom, and will offer our strength and cunning to you, Lord Valthrudnir.” Nightmare Moon said in a gentle but honest voice, turning her gaze towards the dragon, who shifted a little and put a bit of distance between himself and the creature, before she asked almost hesitantly: “The strength of Thesis...”

“The exoskeleton, yes. But I believe the damage to it, as well as abuse of it... it's adding to the psychosis that's taking him over.” Valthrudnir hesitated, then turned and calmly gestured with a hand, and a massive screen of ice rapidly grew upwards out of the ground in the darkness, the Jötnar simply gesturing towards this as images began to form over it.

They displayed their memories of Thesis: his rage, the show of his emotions, the glimpses they'd caught of how the machinery had been bleeding as it had been pumping. The images froze, displaying a multitude of different images that all added up to showing one thing. That he was out of control, halfway between psychotic insanity and childlike tantrums. “The machinery that empowers Thesis... the design accelerates the flow of energy through his body as well as the concentration of corruption. This also naturally increases the output and stimulation of certain chemicals and glands... in simpler terms for you... ponies... he receives an immense adrenaline boost.”

Luna and Scrivener traded grimaces at this, then looked back towards the images, Luna asking quietly: “So it is possible he has simply... lost connection with reality, then? That perhaps even this machine he continues to speak of, and being 'complete...'”

“No, no, look, you stupid miniature horse.” Valthrudnir sounded almost irritable, but to be honest, Scrivener was glad for it: having the Jötnar try and be nice to them had been starting to get a little weird, and it was strangely reassuring to hear the dragon being his rude, superior self. “This... 'dementia,' for lack of a better term or willingness to spend hours trying to explain to your small minds anything more complicated, stems from certain visible emotional triggers as well as physical ones. His dementia clearly worsens when he activates the exoskeleton, and he becomes more violent and aggressive, but the same reaction also is clearly triggered by emotional agitation.”

“When he gets mad he starts hurting people, we could have told you that.” Scrivener said dryly, and Valthrudnir glared at him balefully before the charcoal stallion sighed and asked finally: “But you think he's actually built... some kind of machine?”

“Thesis is not... acting as he was programmed to, but unfortunately that is no reason to question his capability.” Valthrudnir replied quietly, shaking his head slowly before he glanced over at the screen of ice, then gestured moodily at it, and Scrivener and Luna both stared in surprise as the images of Thesis vanished and instead, pictures of strange machinery began to scrawl across the icy screen. Capsules, and massive tubes full of corruption, hooked up to all kinds of complex things neither pony understood... “Thesis likely has access to all variety of genetic modification equipment, including that which by I cloned and produced the Hexad homunculi. Our sole advantage is that even if he began genetic modification on himself the moment he returned to his home, this level of technology was purposefully designed to take time. I could not have what you call Clockwork Ponies modifying themselves as they pleased, after all.”

Scrivener grunted, and Valthrudnir hesitated before he looked slowly between Luna and Scrivener, asking quietly: “But do you idiots yet understand that you cannot hope to defeat Thesis in a physical confrontation? And in spite of Thesis' best efforts to apparently seem as stupid and brash as any of you plebeians, he has all the same clearly kept much of his logical functions intact. Yes, his army showed little strategy and cunning in their direct assault, but they were clearly meaningless to Thesis' endgame, and his smother attack cost many lives and did a vast amount of damage to your home. Furthermore, I believe he expected you to surrender peacefully, not attempt to fight him.”

“Yes... I agree.” Nightmare Moon said softly, shaking her head slowly. “He seems almost like a machine attempting to learn emotions. It is pathetic.”

“It is.” Valthrudnir agreed in a mutter, and Scrivener and Luna both grimaced up at the Jötnar before silence fell for a few moments. They all regarded each other in it, studied one-another, and then Valthrudnir sighed tiredly and asked irritably: “Well?”

“Right now, Luna and I both feel that if we had the chance, we'd gladly take another run at Thesis. We hurt him last time, Valthrudnir. Even if we're sure he'd kill us, we're also sure we can bring him down with us. And that's what matters to us right now.” Scrivener said quietly, squeezing Luna's hoof firmly as the sapphire mare closed her eyes and nodded.

“Wonderful. Normally, I would wholeheartedly encourage you both to go and die, but unfortunately that plan also involves my demise as well, which I would prefer to avoid if at all possible.” Valthrudnir said distastefully, shaking his head slowly before he moodily reached up into dress jacket. Scrivener expected to see playing cards or some other toy... but a moment later, he could only stare in surprise along with the others as Valthrudnir calmly removed a glaring red eye from his jacket, that gazed almost hungrily down at Scrivener Blooms. “So instead, I find that I must suggest an alternate course of action I believe we all shall appreciate. Including the Valkyrie currently watching over you both with such concern.”

Scrivener Blooms swallowed thickly as Luna shifted uneasily, both of them looking at the eye – no, the Kundalini – Valthrudnir was calmly holding up in his fingers, the dragon leaning down and saying evenly: “I cannot promise you success or power, or that I even know what will happen, Scrivener Blooms... but with the genetic data I took from the Grand Vizier, and a little help from another, better subject... you can reach what you ironically seem to think of as your own destiny, your own... 'completion.' The difference between you and Thesis will be that you will truly have become something new and refined and finished... and, I hope, something capable of controlling the power I find myself unfortunately being forced to thrust upon the insignificant mortal creature who dares consider me his worthy nemesis, instead of something far beyond his comprehension.”

The stallion trembled for a moment, then traded a look with Luna, meeting her eyes, sharing thought and emotion and so much more in that moment as they squeezed claw and hoof together. They felt each other, how they wanted to scream both 'no' and 'yes' at the same time as loudly as they could, before the charcoal stallion finally looked up and whispered: “Will it just affect me?”

“No. But I do not know what it will do to the Valkyrie. I only know that she will gain strength from it as well, restore that which has not yet been restored by Freya's meddling and the mire.” Valthrudnir replied calmly, and then the dragon squeezed the Kundalini in his fingers, hesitating visibly before he looked down at it and murmured: “Nihete... Scrivener Blooms... I am not offering this selflessly. I do not desire to imagine what Thesis' idea of completion is, or what he will become if allowed to experiment on himself as he likely has already begun to do. And I have another reason for helping you, that neither you nor I like.”

Valthrudnir looked up, his amber eyes meeting Scrivener's chestnut before the Jötnar said quietly: “You are my greatest failure, and my greatest creation. You have survived my every attempt to destroy you, outwitted minds great and feeble and insane, become something I could never make myself. Now I find myself... desiring not to destroy you... but to aid you. To see what you will become if given that last push you need. To see if I can help make something capable of destroying what I dread to... to admit is... essentially myself.”

There was silence for a few moments, and then Scrivener Blooms and Luna traded one last look, before they both looked up and nodded silently. Valthrudnir looked down at the Kundalini in his fingers, and then he nodded slowly in return before closing his eyes and saying quietly: “Then we are not going to waste our time like Thesis likely is, fiddling with genetics and machinery. Awaken and tell Freya to make preparations immediately.

“We must leave as soon as possible for Decretum. We have a meeting with the Alpha Wyrm.”

Luna and Scrivener were both somehow unsurprised when Celestia didn't argue with them after they told her about needing to head to Decretum, or even that they would have to somehow find the Alpha Wyrm... but Valthrudnir had told them that finding it would simple. But what did surprise them was the fact that no one else argued either: instead, when Celestia gently helped one-winged Luna and limping Scrivener Blooms out on top of the pyramid that had once been Selene's home, they clearly weren't going to be leaving for Decretum alone.

Celestia they expected, and neither had the heart to argue with her... but Sleipnir was there as well, smiling warmly at them beside Pinkamena and Aphrodisia despite the bruises and bandages across his frame. Morning Glory was bowed low, trembling despite the fact she looked like she had almost completely healed, and Antares was here as well, with a mare who could only be Prestige Luster beside him, wearing the armor of a Valkyrie. And how Luna couldn't help but smile at this sight, as Scrivener swallowed thickly, and the unicorn mare only bowed respectfully to them both, whispering: “I'm sorry we had to meet like this, but my name is Prestige Luster. Kvasir has given me permission to accompany you to Decretum with Antares.”

“And I'm going. I have to.” Antares said firmly, looking up and nodding, before he smiled faintly and trembled a little. “But Scarlet made me promise you two would stop in and see her at Ponyville before we leave.”

“We have to go to Ponyville anyway, to use a portal ring.” Celestia replied quietly, nodding before she turned her eyes to Morning Glory, and she said after a moment: “You led us to victory. You have no reason to be ashamed.”

“I have every reason to be ashamed.” Morning Glory whispered as she rose her head, then the Destroyer closed her eyes tightly and bowed it low again as Scrivener and Luna looked at her silently. And the sight of them... both looking thin and drained, bleeding through stitching and bandages, Luna missing her wing and Scrivener with a large patch over his stomach... the thought of Twilight... “I'm sorry. I will not argue with any punishment you have for me.”

“Good. Thy punishment is to stay in Ponyville and watch over my daughters until we return from Decretum.” Luna said quietly, and Morning Glory looked up with surprise, and the sapphire mare trembled and only shook her head slowly. “Thou did everything thou could. Do not insult thyself, or my trust and love of thee, by saying thou did not. Thou hast done more than I ever could expect from any other person, be they mortal, demon, or god... and aye, I include myself in that number.”

There was silence for a few moments, and then Morning Glory swallowed a little and nodded slowly, closing her eyes and bowing her head forwards silently. Scrivener and Luna traded quiet looks, and then Luna turned her eyes towards Sleipnir, who only shrugged and said quietly: “Ponyville will be safe. I love thee both, sister and brother. I must stand beside thee... even when thou art doing something as silly as this.”

“Scrivy... you can handle this.” Pinkamena said softly, locking her eyes with the stallion's, and Scrivener smiled faintly before rubbing slowly at his face, and the demon snorted and shook her head. “Oh don't start with the goddamn waterworks. Just remember who the hell you are, where you came from... and what I'll do to you if you show a single goddamn sign of giving in.”

“I got it.” Scrivener replied quietly, smiling faintly despite himself before all eyes turned down for a moment, and then he and Luna both turned their eyes towards Celestia as the ivory mare strode forwards, not showing a single sign of weakness despite the marks of battle scarring her frame.

“You're both too weak to make the journey to Ponyville by hoof, so I've arranged for a carriage outside of Subterra. Once in Decretum, I recognize that... the atmosphere may help you. But all the same I've asked Greece to prepare two wagons for us, one for supplies and one for travel.” Celestia said quietly, and Luna and Scrivener both shifted uneasily before the ivory mare murmured: “Let's make a deal. I'll allow you both to do this, and help you every step of the way I can... but in return, you let me take care of you until you're... healed.”

Everyone seemed to know what Celestia meant by this, and Luna silently looked at the stump of mostly-missing wing before she grunted and nodded, murmuring: “Aye, very well. But I am not making any attempt to repair my wing until we are done this business. Fair?”

“Fair enough.” Celestia smiled a bit despite herself, then she looked silently towards Selene's reflecting pool before closing her eyes and bowing her head forwards. “I don't think I ever honestly gave Selene a chance, Luna. She did love you as a mother, in her strange way.”

“I know she did. But I do not entirely know what she was to this day... and am not sure I desire to. I appreciate and respect what she has done, and hope that she rests in peace...” Luna hesitated, then looked up with a faint smile. “But I hope she is not with the angels she often spoken of to us. They were not the Valkyries of Valhalla, nor soft-hearted fae-folk. And I fear they would give her not the respite and honor she has earned.”

Celestia nodded slowly, and then all present looked down silently for a few moments before the ivory mare finally turned around, striding towards the steps of the pyramid and saying quietly: “Let's not put this off any longer. Luna, Scrivener, if either of you need any help-”

“We shall pretend we do not and swallow our pain, as so many ponies have always done for us.” Luna replied softly, and Celestia sighed and shook her head slowly, but seemed a little relieved even in spite of her exasperation, as Luna and Scrivener carefully headed for the steps.

Scrivener smiled a little when Antares hurried to his side, while Sleipnir strode to his little sister's, the mare mumbling and half-shoving at him before the enormous stallion easily hefted Luna up onto his back, making her wheeze loudly and Scrivener stumble. Antares caught his father before the charcoal stallion could go rolling down the steep steps of the pyramid, though, and Scrivener Blooms smiled faintly in response before he hesitated and looked up at the unicorn mare standing awkwardly on Antares' other side, asking after a moment: “So you're Prestige.”

“Yes, sir.” Prestige bowed her head politely, and when the earth pony laughed a little and Luna snorted in amusement, the unicorn mare shifted awkwardly and mumbled embarrassedly: “Sorry, I... I just want to make a good impression. I know how much you both mean to Antares, after all, and... Kvasir has told the new Valkyries many times to look up both you and Luna Brynhild as role models. And of course, Baroness Celestia and...”

She broke off, and there was an awkward silence for a moment before Luna murmured: “New Valkyries. What a strange but novel concept.” The sapphire mare laughed a little, then rose her head and looked towards Celestia, asking in a voice that sounded more tired than she wanted to admit despite her interest, as she felt the aches that went through Scrivener with every step he took: “What does thou think, Celestia? Is it good, or is it blasphemy?”

“I trust that Kvasir will choose wisely in his selection of mares to be trained... so far, I think, he has done a good job.” Celestia smiled after a moment over her shoulder, adding in a more tender voice as Prestige blushed: “I'm sorry, I forgot to tell you... how happy I am to see you. And that even after... what happened... you've decided to continue to learn and grow. I wouldn't have blamed you if you'd decided instead to enjoy peace in the Vale of Valhalla.”

Prestige only smiled and bowed her head forwards quietly, and then she glanced hesitantly towards Antares before murmuring: “I guess you could say that I had good role models. And more than anything else... maybe the way I died is part of what shaped me and guided me into becoming what I am today. Or... I'm sorry, I mean, what I'm on my way to becoming. I have no desire to disrespect the Valkyries whatsoever by thinking I'm anywhere near your strength or ability...”

“Thou art not. But there is more to being a Valkyrie than power and skill as well.” Luna said softly, gazing ahead towards Celestia, and then she glanced moodily over at Pinkamena, adding mildly: “Thou could not be a Valkyrie.”

“Good. It sounds like it was some kind of big incestuous sorority.” Pinkamena said distastefully, and Luna snorted in amusement as Scrivener grinned despite himself, then winced when Pinkamena whacked him lightly. “Don't even start, idiot.”

Scrivener smiled a little, then glanced over his shoulder at Morning Glory, who was following silently behind them before the stallion hesitated, then asked awkwardly: “ Hey uh... so I'm just as sore as Luna is, and uh...”

“You want me to carry you? Do I really look that pitiable, Scrivener Blooms?” Morning Glory asked disgustedly, glaring up at him, and Scrivener shrugged lamely. He began to open his mouth to say something about being lazy or tired or some other half-excuse, and then the demon's chains snapped out and hefted him up, dropping him over her broad back and making him wheeze loudly as Luna winced visibly. “There. Shall I refer to you as my noble lord, or offer my services now as a personal whore? Or should I ask your wife first, since you were unable to even try and pity me without using her as an excuse?”

Luna cleared her throat as Scrivener grumbled moodily under his breath, halfheartedly shifting a little against the broad metal plates over the mare's back before he asked crankily: “What happened to the demon who five minutes ago was almost crying?”

“She remembered that emotions are for weak, hormonal little fillies who have not yet learned to control wetting themselves.” the Destroyer retorted contemptibly, looking straight ahead as she continued in a sour voice: “Which clearly is not something that you yourself have ever been taught, slave hoof tickle-toy.”

“Thou cannot call my... wait, tickle-toy?” Luna looked dumbly up at this, then snorted in amusement as they reached the bottom of the pyramid, Celestia shaking her head slowly. “Scrivener Blooms provides me with steel and slag, not feather-dusters.”

“Oh that is a horrible metaphor, please don't ever use it again.” Scrivener muttered, and Luna grumbled and then firmly drove her face into the back of Sleipnir's neck, making Scrivener wince and flinch a bit as the sensitive bruising over his own features flared briefly with pain. “Ouch.”

The group continued on in relative quiet for a little while, and Scrivener and Luna shifted a bit on the large ponies carrying them, but otherwise settled. Instead, they let their attention draw away from the group, studying the subdued atmosphere of Subterra, the wreaths of white flower and black roses, the way that many of the demons in the street bowed to them as they passed... and Luna finally sighed before she murmured quietly: “They think that... I can bring Selene back, as if 'tis within my power to revive what may have well been a demigoddess. And at the same time, they treat us as if... we march to our own funeral. And with honor.”

Celestia smiled faintly at this, not answering as she shook her head slowly, and the group continued on in silence for a few moments before Luna asked after a moment, unable to stop herself from asking: “So does everyone know, Celestia? And do they all believe we... shall either not return, or return changed?”

“Most of us figured that something like this would happen, yes, and you know that we're all friends in Ponyville. They all protected you, and I figured that... they all had a right to know what was going on.” the ivory mare said quietly. “Some of them think it's a terrible idea. But enough of us know you well enough to trust you. To remember that you and Scrivener Blooms have always been able to control the darkness inside yourselves.”

Scrivener felt oddly embarrassed at this thought, awkwardly glancing down as Luna looked up at her older sibling, looking deeply touched. There were a few moments of silence as they continued through the underground city, and then the sapphire mare softened as she looked up towards the glimmering crystals lining the ceiling overhead. “I hope all of thee are right then, Celestia, and that my husband and I do not disappoint thee. I only wish that I could promise too that... we would be able to bring back Selene, too. 'Tis funny how one misses the strangest things when they are gone.”

“I remember her. She was so... alien, and different, but she always was loyal. Always looked out for the demons of Subterra and Antares, and... I think she helped me understand that we can be one united people, even if we are all different.” Prestige murmured, looking down with a small smile. “I don't think there was ever anyone who proved that more than she herself did.”

Scrivener and Luna both nodded slowly, and Sleipnir smiled kindly over at Prestige, saying softly: “Listen to thee, such wisdom thou speaks. 'Tis truly a wonder... but I suppose we should not be so surprised. Even whilst thou lived, thou showed a grand and glorious ability to adapt and grow. Thou made us all proud to be thy friend, and have honored thy name and family, Prestige Luster...”

“Family...” Prestige bit her lip, bowing her head before she looked up... and honestly, Luna was both surprised and impressed when the unicorn mare simply closed her mouth and didn't speak any further. There was silence for a few moments, and then Luna chuckled quietly and rose her head as Scrivener smiled faintly and nodded, earning a curious look from Prestige Luster.

“Go.” Luna said simply, and when Prestige looked confused, the winged unicorn sighed before groaning and shifting on the spot, mumbling: “Oh damnation, I am too tired and sore for this. Scrivener Blooms, thou should talk. Thou art the talky-talker one.”

Scrivener grumbled at this, looking dryly over at the mare before he nodded a little and turned his eyes towards Prestige, saying quietly: “Since Luna and I assume we're not just going to get to Ponyville and go...” He glanced up towards Celestia, and smiled a bit when the ivory mare nodded calmly without even having to look around at him. “You should go ahead. Rosewood isn't hard to find and... your father... well, he won't be hard to find either. I... I assume you know...”

“I do. I heard.” Prestige smiled faintly, glancing down and hesitating before she shook her head and murmured: “No, I'm here, assigned to help and-”

“Family first.” Luna said quietly over her shoulder, gazing softly at Prestige. “And if thou desires to help me, then listen to me... as family, as sister Valkyrie, when I tell thee to go and see thy parents. Besides, thou art no use to us distracted. Go. Take the time thou needs to find thy parents, then hurry to Ponyville.”

“We can spare two hours at least.” Celestia affirmed, not looking back and smiling a little. “Plus we'll be slower going, thanks to the carriage, and once we reach Ponyville it's important that... we make sure of its defenses, and Luna and Scrivener spend a little time with their daughters. There's no rush. Even though things will move fast... at the same time, there's more than enough time to spare. And my little sister is right... family is important to all of us. We understand that bond, and you deserve to have at least one chance to speak to your mother and your father while you're here. This may be that only chance, and both my sister and I, as your Valkyrie family, are asking you to take it.”

Prestige was silent for a moment, and then Antares looked up and volunteered quickly: “I'll take her into Canterlot. I mean... if you want me to. I... I know it's personal, but me and Rosewood have been talking a lot and... well... you know...”

“I'd like that, hero.” Prestige said softly, and the two smiled a little at each other before the unicorn mare blushed and looked up, saying quietly: “Thank you. I... I can't begin to express how much I appreciate this.”

Luna only shrugged, even as she turned a curious look towards Antares, who awkwardly avoided his mother's eyes as Scrivener studied his son before nodding slowly. Antares smiled lamely at this, tossing a lame look up towards his father and nodding a little in return before he quickly turned his eyes back to Prestige.

He couldn't stop himself from stepping a little closer to her, and even if she shifted almost embarrassedly, she didn't put any distance between them, only giving him an awkward look as they continued through Subterra. There was some faint conversation, but Antares and Prestige were barely aware of it as they strode along with the group.

Antares didn't even know what to feel right now: he thought he had some idea of what he wanted to feel, but... what he actually felt was something like numbness, mixed with a hint of almost a plea. His parents had been devastated, Twilight Sparkle had been torn apart in a way that had attacked her spirit directly, and beside him was... Prestige. A large section of Ponyville had been destroyed, Selene was gone, friends and family had been badly injured and even killed, Thesis had won... but Antares had his own personal victory, and they had proven the Replicants could be beaten, and Innocence and Scarlet Sage were both safe.

And he wasn't alone. For the first time in a long time, he felt both that he wasn't alone, and that maybe there was hope... and even if he didn't know why that was the dominant feeling right now with just how much had gone purely, horribly wrong, that didn't change the fact he still felt almost optimistic. Almost giddy about things, until he and Prestige both looked up as Celestia gestured towards a side road. “Why don't you and Prestige head up to Canterlot from here, and we'll continue to Ponyville? It'll give you a little more time.”

“Thanks, Aunt Tia. I really appreciate it. Mom, Dad... be well, okay? Prestige and I will be there as soon as we can.” Antares promised, and Luna smiled a little and nodded before she closed her eyes, and the glossy-black unicorn softened at how... how damn quiet his parents looked.

He and Prestige stood, watching as the others strode away and both waving a little awkwardly when Pinkamena looked pointedly over her shoulder at them before rolling her eyes. They stood until the others were out of sight, and then Antares awkwardly looked over at Prestige, asking after a moment: “So uh... shall we?”

“Let's go.” Prestige smiled a little at him, and the two turned and began down the path. There was silence between them as they strode onwards, both with their heads lowered, breathing quietly in and out as they made their way down the side street towards an exit tunnel guarded by a pair of demons that only bowed deeply to them when they approached.

They were silent on the walk up the long, concrete tube that led up to the basement of an old house. Prestige looked around with a small smile, and Antares explained quietly: “A few more of the passages in and out of Subterra have become public, but... only in the lower districts of Canterlot. A lot of the nobles still aren't comfortable with the idea of demons being around and all. So a lot of the ways in and out are still hidden, like this mansion... it actually belongs to a merchant from Subterra, but some pony caretakers live here and they're all the nobles see, apart from the occasional guest who comes or goes. Lots of secrecy still, yeah.”

“I understand.” Prestige said softly, smiling a little, and they were quiet again as they headed up out of the basement and Antares automatically led the unicorn mare through the mansion. Antares was glad they didn't run into anyone: he didn't feel much like conversation or distractions right now, as they made their way out the front and down the path to leave through the unlocked steel gates.

They started down the street towards Canterlot Castle, and Antares hesitated for a few moments before asking impulsively: “How have you been? I mean... you... you've been in Heaven.”

Prestige laughed a little at this, nodding slowly and smiling despite herself as she glanced at the stallion. “And you might find it hard to believe, but... so-called paradise can be pretty lonely sometimes. That, and I'm not really in the Vale of Valhalla, but the castle itself... I'm training, hero. Harder than you, I think, from what I've seen.”

“Hey!” Antares laughed despite himself, nudging her firmly with a slight smile. “I had to learn some old tricks all over again, thank you very much. And we aren't all magic prodigies.”

He stopped, then studied her curiously as the mare smiled softly at him before he asked finally: “So... Prestige... how... how much do you know about things? Like, what have you seen? I know in Valhalla, one of the rewards is being able to 'look down,' so to speak.”

“It's not that easy, hero. You need to earn the privilege and schedule a visit to Watcher's Temple.” Prestige replied softly, and she smiled again as Antares tilted his head curiously. “I better not get in trouble for telling you this, but I guess you are a special case. The Watcher's Temple is less of a temple and more like... I'd almost call it an attraction. There's an oracle there who tells the future and claims to speak to Mimir, and crystal mirrors that let us look down over this world, see and hear a little from our loved ones. We can't interact but... we can see what's been going on, both in the present and the past. It's expensive, but always busy.”

Antares nodded a little, studying Prestige intently, and she looked down and murmured softly: “Of course, there is a particular decorum to be followed... we aren't supposed to watch certain events transpire, and we're not supposed to... spy, which is a funny thought, isn't it? Watching unseen, but not spying. Not unless we're being addressed, since there are plenty of ponies who talk to their departed.”

“Ersatz does that... I wonder if her Dad ever hears her. I wonder if he's even around... he would have died before the Merge.” Antares murmured softly, looking down and nodding a little before he smiled a little up at her, and she smiled faintly in return, the two studying each other before he said quietly: “I'm sorry.”

“For not following my advice sooner, and trying to move on sooner after I passed?” Prestige asked gently, and when Antares gave her a quietly-amused look, the mare only shook her head slowly. “You don't have to apologize. It's... harder than I imagined, but I know that right now... we can't be together. It's better this way.”

“I... I suppose.” Antares murmured, bowing his head forwards as he glanced down, and it felt strange how... he couldn't bring himself to believe that. He smiled a little despite himself, closing his eyes before taking a slow breath and nodding slowly.

Prestige studied him, then she hesitated before asking quietly: “What about you? Your wings... I don't want to press, Antares, but...”

“It still sucks. It sucks a lot.” Antares mumbled after a moment, and then he looked up lamely as he realized how honest he had just been. Even with Meadowlark, he found it hard to be honest without hesitating, before he sighed at the worried look Prestige gave him. “No, it's... I don't wanna dump my whining all over you.”

“Oh stop that, you're not.” Prestige stepped over to him and nudged him with her shoulder, and the stallion smiled despite himself and nodded a little. There was silence between them for a few long moments, and then the mare finally asked in a soft voice: “But the pain is gone, right?”

“Yeah. But it's funny. I'm still not used to my back not aching... at times, it actually freaks me out a little, how weird is that?” Antares laughed despite himself, shaking his head slowly. “Sometimes I... I wake up in the middle of the night, just laying there, waiting for a twinge... I start shifting around and just... can't get back to sleep because I know that the pain is gone, but... in my head, it feels like I'm just waiting to start hurting again.”

Prestige nodded and looked over at the stallion softly, and then they both fell quiet before they turned their eyes ahead until they began the approach to Canterlot Castle. Antares could feel how nervous Prestige was as she stared up over the face of the massive structure, breathing uneasily in and out as the glossy-black stallion looked over at her, wanting to reassure her...

She looked over at him, and their eyes met, studying each other silently for a few moments before she gave the smallest smile, the faintest nod, and Antares nodded back, swallowing a little. Both unicorns looked quickly ahead again as they strode into the castle, and Prestige trembled only once before looking upwards and asking quietly, without needing to look at Antares: “Where do you think they are?”

“Probably the council hall, around or near there. Rosewood has her own kind of office but she rarely uses it. Erudite keeps pretending he's going to quit, but then keeps extending his own power and privilege. I sometimes think he's going to make Aunt Tia snap.” Antares said finally, then he nodded a little before hesitating: “Look, if you want, I can help you find them, then give you some time alone-”

“No, no.” Prestige said a little too fast, and Antares looked at her with surprise before the mare dropped her head forwards, closing her eyes and laughing a little. “I... I'm sorry. I just really would like you to be there, Antares... you may be... a stupid, silly slave hoof...” She smiled faintly, glancing up at him as he softened. “But I'm not half the proud-horn I was brought up to be.”

“I know. But that's a good thing, isn't it?” Antares hesitated, and then he asked finally, as he decided to just let his hooves begin to walk: “You really... never knew?”

Prestige shook her head as she followed him without questioning; trusting him, like she trusted him to be with her even for this undoubtedly-difficult meeting ahead. “I never had any idea. Scutum was always so... so distant with me. I thought it was because of the Mayor, my... my nothing, I suppose. It's strange how much of a relief that thought is.” Prestige smiled faintly, shaking her head slowly. “I just hope that... mother and... father...”

She fell quiet, and Antares only nodded before hesitantly letting himself fall back a bit, pressing their sides together. Prestige didn't pull away, only closing her eyes, needing this right now as she bowed her head forwards in silence, the busy castle halls around them seeming muted no matter how close ponies passed, how loud they were talking.

They found Scutum standing outside a meeting room, and Antares felt Prestige hesitate, only staring at the one-eyed unicorn from down the hall. The stallion she'd never known was her father, pristine and proud in his uniform, head raised high, still as a statue, almost unreadable even to Antares' sharp eyes. The glossy-black unicorn could imagine why Prestige was hesitant, much as he wanted to reassure her... much as he wanted to point out that even if they were on his blind side, Scutum probably already knew they were here.

Then the door to the room opened, and Rosewood strode outside, looking frustrated, a disheveled suit jacket over her body stitched with the royal crest. She began to shake her head, and then looked up sharply as she saw Antares... and standing beside him... “P-Prestige?”

Rosewood took a step forwards as her eyes widened, and Prestige swallowed thickly as she rose her head proudly, Antares recognizing that old unicorn blood coming out in the mare... but her dignified poise was promptly lost when Rosewood charged down the hall towards her daughter, bodychecking a noble out of the way before she plowed straight into her child.

Rosewood embraced Prestige fiercely, trembling and hugging her tightly as she clenched her eyes shut and Prestige rose her head in surprise, mouthing for a moment before Rosewood drew back and grasped her daughter's face, gazing over her and trembling as tears formed in her eyes. “Oh... oh, Prestige Luster, look at you! Scutum, Scutum, stop hiding, get over here!”

Scutum only sighed as he shook his head, already approaching, and Prestige's eyes turned nervously towards the tall stallion as he stopped in front of her, studying her silently as she studied him in return. Antares stepped back as Rosewood drew away from her daughter with a warm smile, before glaring over at Scutum.

The older stallion hesitantly rose a hoof, and Rosewood reached up and punched him across the jaw, making him flinch slightly as Prestige winced. “Goddammit, Scutum! Say it!”

Scutum gave Rosewood a sour look for a moment, and then he sighed and nodded, dropping his hoof and bowing his head forwards, taking a second to breathe before he looked up and said quietly: “Prestige... I'm sorry I was never a good father.”

The stallion halted, then stepped forwards and carefully, gently hugged his daughter. And Prestige trembled for a moment before she buried her head against him and hugged him fiercely back, giving a single, quiet sob as she squeezed him fiercely and whispered: “It's okay. I just want to make the most of the little time we have now.”

Rosewood smiled faintly, reaching up to touch Scutum's back as the military unicorn looked down silently, single eye staring with something like amazement at the mare before he closed it and leaned forwards, hugging his daughter tighter against his body. Then Rosewood turned her soft eyes to Antares, studying him for a moment before she smiled again, nodding to him once, and the glossy-black unicorn nodded back after a moment.

For Antares, it was almost all a blur: all he knew was that they moved to a quieter room, and when Erudite tried to interrupt them, Rosewood flung a paperweight into his head and sent him running, howling down the hall about calling the Royal Guard and having her locked up. Not that Rosewood seemed ruffled in the slightest by these threats, as she turned her shining eyes back towards her daughter.

Scutum was quiet for most of the discussion, looking almost like he was marveling over his daughter until she finally turned her eyes towards him. And she didn't even have to ask the question as he closed his eye and nodded slowly, reaching up to rub at his features as he said quietly: “Because I was afraid, Prestige. First I was afraid of the kind of unicorn you were becoming... and then I was afraid that because you were a better unicorn than me, you wouldn't want me in your life.”

Prestige laughed faintly at this, looking down before she glanced up at Rosewood, who blushed a little before she reached out and gently touched her daughter's front hoof where it rested on the table. “You know I'm a screwup, Prestige Luster. If you want to blame somepony, blame me. This is more my fault than it was ever Scutum's. I should have told you... I should never have left you thinking that... Grindstone was your father, especially after you began to find your new life.”

Prestige Luster smiled faintly at this, looking up and across at her mother, and then Rosewood cleared her throat before leaning forwards and asking softly: “So tell me about Valhalla... what's it like? And is there any way you... you can visit more often?”

“Not... I don't think so. But we'll still see each other again one day, Mom.” Prestige said softly, and Rosewood only smiled faintly at this.

“I don't know about that, Prestige. You've done something amazing and wonderful with your life. I, on the other hoof, do nothing but harass proud-horns all days, order slave hoofs around, and regularly start arguments and get the entire barony into trouble. They're scared of me even in Subterra. I think when demons are afraid of you that's a sign you're going to Hell.” Rosewood glanced over at Scutum, reaching up and touching his shoulder gently before she turned her eyes back towards her daughter. “But it's okay, either way, Prestige. You're... you're happy. All that's ever mattered to me is your happiness, I want you to know that. And you, kid... I see you still make my daughter happy, so... you better get to Valhalla one day, got it?”

Antares smiled despite himself at this, and he and Prestige traded soft looks before they nodded to one-another. And as the conversation continued for another forty minutes or so, Antares couldn't help but continue to study the mare, thinking of how much he'd give up for her if she only asked; thinking about how even if they were going to be worlds apart, he'd still wait for her until they could be together, if that was what she wanted.

It was Prestige who remembered the time, and that they had something else to do: Antares admired her strength and dedication to her new role, and Scutum gave a small smile at the way Prestige quietly but firmly said that she had to leave. That they had a job to do, even though she clearly longed to stay here, to talk further with her parents, to try and catch up on... everything.

Rosewood and Scutum insisted on walking with them, at least through Canterlot: it wasn't like Antares could blame them, though, and Prestige welcomed the company. It was a little more time with her family, a little more time to study her own parents, and particularly Scutum. And as they walked together, Antares could pick out all the more all the little things shared by father and daughter, even if Prestige had never known who Scutum really was to her: the sense of duty, of strong protecting the weak, the odd mix of unicorn superiority yet compassion and desire to protect others, no matter who or what they were.

And there was that professionalism, too: that determination to push forwards and get things done, to live up to what was expected of them, and to do so proudly. There was that confidence to them both, that showed all the more now that Prestige had set her sights on working to continue helping ponies even now, after she had already given her life to save her friends.

They reached the gates of Canterlot, and Rosewood embraced both Antares and her daughter, and Scutum shared a hug with Prestige that was only a little awkward. Then he saluted her sharply, and Prestige smiled faintly and returned it, locking her eyes with his own as he said quietly: “Good luck, Prestige Luster. And may you continue to live up to being a better person than I ever was.”

“You are a good person... father.” Prestige replied quietly after a moment, and the two traded faint smiles before she nodded once, then took a long breath before turning away and forced herself to walk through the gates, not looking back as Antares gave one last, quick goodbye to the two. Then he turned and hurried after the mare himself.

He caught up quickly, then looked at her with concern as he saw tears were running down her cheeks, the stallion hesitating... but then not speaking, only walking beside her, staying close to her and letting her know that he was there for her even in the silence with his gestures, his gaze, the emotions that emanated from him and resonated with her. And Prestige seemed both thankful for it... but also a little bitter, a little regretful, a little...

They walked on in quiet, side-by-side, heading towards Ponyville at a good rate. And then, under the noon sun and in the middle of the highway, Prestige halted and looked towards him, swallowing once before she said finally: “I don't know what I'm feeling right now, hero. I don't know what to say or do. I've had seven years to think about Scutum, and I didn't say or do any of the things I thought I would when I saw him. I just want... I just...”

She shivered and lowered her head, and Antares reached up and gently stroked her face with a hoof, saying quietly: “You did good. You talked. And you're going to see him again, right?”

“That's the part that hurts so much. Thinking that... this little window of time I've been granted... that might be the last conversation I ever have with my... my parents. I'm just so worried that...” Prestige trembled a bit, turning her eyes towards Antares, and he looked back at her silently before leaning forwards and hugging her tightly, and she pressed into his body, clinging to him for a moment for comfort as she whispered: “I thought I could handle this. You've always been able to handle the hardest things, hero... how... how did you survive everything that's happened to you? I'm...”

Antares smiled faintly, then he shook his head and gazed past her, answering honestly after a moment: “I don't know. I just did.”

There was silence, and then Prestige finally nodded a little and the two pulled away from one-another. They studied each other quietly before the mare shook herself out and smiled faintly, reaching up and rubbing at her face as she murmured: “Sorry. Just... stress. This was my first mission... I'm not even a real Valkyrie yet.”

“You were a real Valkyrie from the moment you started defending Ponyville.” Antares replied softly, and the mare smiled warmly at this after a moment, blushing a little and glancing down as the stallion cleared his throat, trying to drop his gaze. They both shifted awkwardly, and then the stallion turned and mumbled: “But... Ponyville, right. I'm glad you're coming with us to Decretum.”

“Me too. Kvasir wants a full report, though, so... I think that's why he agreed to it. That, and he respects Celestia... Queen Freya, I think I'm supposed to call her, technically.” Prestige looked down as they began down the dusty highway, the two trading looks, then small smiles. “I still remember how difficult it was to learn it was okay to not treat her with the respect and deference that nobles in the north had always expected, though... even now, I want to call her Baroness with proper noun status, not merely 'Celestia.'”

Antares nodded and laughed a little, murmuring: “And to me, she's always just been Aunt Tia. Just like sometimes I call my parents by their first name and... neither of them ever has a problem with it. Apps still uses 'mommy' and 'daddy' and T has her own special titles for her parents she uses all the time. It's funny how different we all are even if... we're all the same.”

Prestige only nodded and smiled a little, and the two fell silent until they reached Ponyville. Both halted outside the village, gazing silently into the empty, ashen-floored void beyond the ravaged city walls: they hadn't bothered to start reconstruction yet, but from this angle, it looked like there was little life left to rebuild. And it was strange, because outside the city, the vandalism and damages had been minimal... well, except for the animal care center, which had been mangled and burned-out by enemy soldiers. But Fluttershy had only smiled when she'd heard the news, saying it was nothing that couldn't be rebuilt.

After a few moments, the two finally traded a look, and made their way into Ponyville, both grimacing a little as they passed into a haze the moment they stepped onto the scarred earth. Most of the brittle remains had been cleared out of the area or had dissolved completely, and no one was entirely sure what exactly Selene had done... only that it had permanently heightened the gravity in the area marked by the salted and hardened earth.

They headed towards the library, and the strange sense of nostalgia that washed over them both kept the two feeling a little quiet as they walked onwards with lowered heads. There weren't many people in the streets today, and Antares could understand that. A lot of people had been hurt, and those who weren't still being treated for their injuries were staying at home today, or with friends and family.

Surprisingly, only Celestia and Discombobulation were in the library, the Draconequus calmly helping polish the ivory mare's armor. Antares smiled a little at this as Prestige bowed her head respectfully, and Celestia gazed softly across at them before she said gently: “We still have at least half an hour to forty minutes before we need you to be at Cowlick's lab. Scrivener and Luna are visiting with Innocence at their daughter's home. I've already cleaned your equipment for you, Antares, so why don't you go and say goodbye to your friends, stop in and see your sisters with Prestige, and then come back here with your parents? We can head to the lab together.”

Antares glanced at Prestige, who nodded with a small smile, and the stallion hesitated before he frowned a little, studying Celestia curiously as he realized something was different. But for some reason, he couldn't quite put his hoof on what... that was, until Celestia tilted her head to the side, showing off the single earring she was wearing.

It was shaped like an old-fashioned brass key with the handle in the shape of a heart, and Antares smiled a little when Discombobulation shifted lamely and looked away. There was an awkward silence before the glossy-black unicorn finally nodded and murmured: “Congratulations, you two.”

He turned, and Prestige followed him out, tilting her head as she asked curiously: “Congratulations? Do you mean that they're...”

“I don't know. It just seemed like the right thing to say.” Antares said honestly, and when Prestige gave him an amused look, he sighed and nodded, saying finally: “I know, I know, I'm saying that a lot lately, but... it's true. I feel like I know less and more these days all at once. It's just about the weirdest feeling in the whole world.”

“Then it suits you, doesn't it, hero?” Prestige replied, and Antares was surprised into a laugh before he looked over at her with a strange sense of gratitude, shaking his head slowly as he felt a flutter of warmth and happiness through his chest.

They reached the medical clinic in good time: ponies and Nibelung were striding in and out of the doors, and it looked like it was incredibly crowded and busy inside. The glossy-black stallion bit his lip at this sight as Prestige softened a bit, glancing over at him and saying quietly: “I wish I'd... been a little faster. Maybe I could have helped more, and...”

“No, it's okay. I mean... Apps is recovering pretty well, and Ava... Ava's strong. T's strong too, and they'll take good care of her at the Phooka den... I just don't think that I can even squeeze inside to say goodbye right now.” Antares murmured, gazing over the front of the building before he sighed and shook his head, but admittedly... part of him felt relieved. Little as he wanted to admit it, seeing Meadowlark right now... it'd be hard. “Let's just head over to Scarlet Sage's place.”

Prestige began to nod, then glanced up as the doors swung open, and Antares found himself blushing and smiling awkwardly as Meadowlark hurried out. The Pegasus was smiling herself, but she looked tired and strained and... maybe a little hurt, too. “Antares, and... and Prestige. I was... I was hoping you'd be by, actually, I really wanted to see you both.”

The two unicorns smiled faintly, and Antares tried to hide his blush as Meadowlark's eyes roved to him, lingered on him for a few moments before the Pegasus walked quickly forwards. And Prestige reared back in surprise when Meadowlark hugged her firmly, the unicorn mare blinking before smiling awkwardly when the Pegasus drew away, gazing up at her with honest warmth. “I never got to thank you for... for everything you did, Prestige. For helping us all and... I want you to know you really are our friend. Avalon thinks so, too... she wishes she could see you but she's unconscious again. The parasites did a number on her.”

Antares and Prestige both nodded, and the unicorn mare lowered her head a little before she murmured: “Well, I never got to thank all of you for being my friends... and thinking so highly of me in spite of the fact that... we parted on awkward circumstances. I wish that I had stood up to Cancer faster, endured the pain, every day... everything could have been different.”

Meadowlark only smiled, then she glanced at Antares and leaned forwards, and the stallion hesitated: it was a momentary thing, but it was there, and Meadow saw it before he started to lean back towards her. But now Meadowlark pulled her head quickly back instead of meeting him for the expected kiss, smiling faintly and shaking her head a little as she said awkwardly: “No, I don't want to keep you. I know you're supposed to go to Decretum and... I have patients to get back to treating.”

“Wait, I... I love you, Meadow.” Antares almost blurted as the Pegasus began to turn away, and Meadowlark smiled faintly over her shoulder and nodded once.

“I know. I love you, Antares.” Meadowlark murmured in return, and then she turned forwards and strode quickly into the clinic without looking back, and Antares lowered his head before he sighed softly and turned around, Prestige softening as she turned to follow him.

“I'm sorry. I should have stayed at the library.” Prestige said quietly, but Antares only shook his head and forced a smile, even if he didn't reply, knowing that it hadn't been that. It had been because Meadowlark was almost as good at reading into people as he was... and on top of that, she knew him better than he knew himself.

Antares was quiet all the way to the beautiful house that Scarlet Sage and Apple Bloom owned, which had suffered only a bit of damage from the battle the night before here and there. A few shattered windows, some cracks in the face, a mashed-down fence... it could definitely have been left in worse shape, especially considering the fact they were pretty close to the northern end of Ponyville.

Antares could see his parents through the cracked front window, resting back together on a couch in the den. The stallion gazed in at this for a moment, then smiled faintly and knocked twice before pushing the door open and calling: “Hey, me and Prestige are here!”

He strode through the hallway and poked his head around the archway with Prestige following, and Innocence yelled happily up at him from the middle of the floor, knocking over her block tower as she scrambled over to him. Scarlet Sage smiled in relief as she nodded to her little brother from the plush recliner she was stuffed into, and Apple Bloom rose a hoof from the floor beside her wife, saying softly: “Tyke's been missing you. Think she misses... a lot of ponies.”

Antares swept Innocence up and hugged her tightly, closing his eyes and bowing his head forwards as Prestige hesitantly stepped into the archway, and Scrivener and Luna both softened as they looked up at their youngest child and the way she looked almost eagerly back and forth, as if expecting other ponies that were now gone to come out of nowhere. But when she saw only Prestige, she trembled a little, looking back and forth before burying her face into Antares' neck and giving a whimper, hugging her brother fiercely.

The glossy-black unicorn smiled faintly, closing his eyes and hugging his sibling tightly up against his body with a soft sigh. He swayed slowly with the babe, and Innocence whimpered a little but gradually calmed enough that her grip loosened and he was able to set her down, the filly gazing up and back and forth before putting one of her claws in her mouth, sucking at it quietly and whispering: “Momma. Chesshure.”

Antares didn't know what to say, looking down at his baby sister quietly before Luna grunted and sat up, patting the couch beside her and saying softly: “Now fear not, Innocence. Aye, 'tis not fair, and 'tis difficult... but thou hast my word that thou does not ever fear being without a parent. We shall always return to thee.”

Antares felt a strange shiver at these words: maybe it was because they made him think of the past, or maybe it was just the timing, since they would be heading in a matter of minutes to Decretum. Scarlet Sage seemed to feel the same way as she shifted a little, gazing silently over at her parents, but Luna only smiled dryly at their reactions. “A little faith would be most appreciated, family.”

The glossy-black unicorn smiled lamely as Scarlet Sage nodded awkwardly and rubbed her pregnant stomach slowly, and Innocence mimicked her siblings as she tried to nod herself, striding towards the couch and pawing at it quietly. After a moment, Luna reached down and gently helped her daughter up, as Scrivener said softly: “This time we aren't going in alone. We're going to be back, don't worry. And we're... going to decide our own destinies.”

Luna nodded firmly as she pulled Innocence close, and the filly gladly curled up against the sapphire mare, closing her eyes with a soft murmur. Antares smiled faintly as Prestige bowed her head, and Apple Bloom and Scarlet Sage traded soft looks as they gently took one-another's hoof.

They only stayed for a few more minutes, but it helped Antares feel settled. He traded tight hugs with his sister and sister-in-law, and then helped his parents to their hooves. Apple Bloom traded a quick kiss with Scarlet Sage, then patted her stomach gently and said softly: “You sure you're gonna be okay looking after your little sister?”

“You'll only be an hour or so. I'll be fine.” Scarlet Sage said softly, and then she gazed tenderly across at Innocence, who was curled up on the couch, half-asleep. “Yeah. I'll be fine. We're good sisters... Mom, Dad, just... just come back, and come back okay, okay?”

Luna and Scrivener traded looks, then they both nodded before Prestige reached up and squeezed Antares' shoulder gently, adding: “Don't worry. Antares will be there, too. He'll bring them back no matter what.”

“And Prestige will stop me from screwing up.” Antares finished, and Scarlet Sage nodded after a moment, gazing at them softly as Prestige blushed but smiled, and Scrivener and Luna both shared quietly-entertained looks.

They were quiet on the way to the library, though, and Antares was grateful that everyone was already gathered out front. Both Luna and Scrivener were trying to hide their aches, but as the stallion strode into the building to fetch his armor, he could hear Celestia gently chastising them, clearly worried that the self-destructive streak of both ponies was going to end up kicking in. No one wanted them to feel like they had to go through this alone, but Antares knew that sometimes... his parents needed a little reminder, a little encouragement, and a little recrimination or two.

He strode back out in full armor, looking around at the others: Sleipnir wearing his repaired and polished breastplate; Celestia in full raiment and with Tyrfing at her side; Pinkamena in a simple vest on and her massive axe over her back; Discombobulation, only calmly standing with his arms crossed. And then there was himself and Prestige... and his parents, wearing only their collars, but still clearly every inch the warrior that the other ponies around them were even without the adornment of their armor or weapons.

Antares couldn't help but study these ponies that he looked up to so much still, hard as he was trying to be an independent stallion. They both walked slowly but refused to let the others support or carry them, they were maybe a little quieter than usual, but had a strange dignity about them: they weren't afraid of where they were going, or what they had to do. And he could see they were in pain, but they refused to give in to it or let it slow them down or distract them.

He looked at Prestige, thinking silently of how he'd acted when Rustproof had died, and then when he'd lost this mare now striding beside him, and how much it meant to have a few more moments with her. It brought worries to his mind, made him wonder if Twilight was really gone... and more than that, if maybe what they were doing now was in part prompted by losing Twilight Sparkle. But that thought scared him, because it not only meant Twilight might actually be gone, he didn't want to imagine how that was going to affect his parents... how it was going to affect him.

The engineering building was oddly quiet: there were no Nibelung running through the halls, no sounds of machinery or conversation, nothing but emptiness and faint echoes until they reached the testing hall where a portal ring had been set up. Here, there were ponies waiting for them, from Cowlick – heavily bandaged, with one foreleg held in a sling and an icepack strapped just beside her neck – to less-familiar faces like Riffraff, Graceful Melody, and their demon friend Amdusias.

Many were gathered here, most of them quiet, and plenty of them looking less-than-comfortable as Cowlick dragged herself in front of the portal, shrugging off Greece's help. Morning Glory stepped up beside her, and Celestia allowed Luna and Scrivener to take the lead, the two looking across at the engineer before she gestured with her head at the thin, long metal wagons to one side. “Those should survive in Decretum. Just don't know whether or not they'll survive coming back across the Bifrost. One's full of the equipment I was asked to provide... use-and-toss stuff.

“Don't screw up.” Cowlick finished, and then she smiled a bit when her eyes scanned slowly over the group. “Okay. Guess that ain't entirely fair. You got plenty of ponies going with you to make sure you ain't gonna screw up. Let me put it a better way... come back yourselves.”

“Well, 'twould be screwing up to come back any other way.” Luna said quietly, and Cowlick nodded firmly as Scrivener laughed despite himself, before both ponies looked up towards the portal ring. “We shall. Morning Glory, thou knows thy orders. Eventide, Atrus... we trust in thee to guardian our children with these others. Friends and family... we will return as soon as possible.”

The last preparations were made in silence, and when the portal crackled into life, Luna and Scrivener both readied themselves, refusing to be dragged through on the wagon. They looked up into the portal as electricity crackled over the metal ring, and an image of a charred and blackened world slowly formed over its face, the coordinates carved in runes over the steel circle glowing almost maliciously, as if inviting them eagerly home.

It looked like a gateway to Hell or worse... and without hesitation, Antares watched his parents run for that portal in spite of their wounds, their pain, the suffering he saw in their eyes. And son had no choice but to follow after his parents with Prestige at his side, only hoping that this time they'd return from that dark world without another broken promise.

PreviousChapters Next