• Published 4th Mar 2013
  • 3,098 Views, 193 Comments

Jukebox Scribbles - Timaeus



A series of mini-stories featuring TwiDash based on song prompts. Heavily inspired by the TwiDash prompts given in the TwiDash group, expect little continuity.

  • ...
8
 193
 3,098

"I Only Wanna Be With You"

Song Prompt - "I Only Wanna Be With You," Volbeat


Rainbow Dash sat in the library-house of her marefriend, eyes wide as she gaped at the letter she found lying open on said pony’s desk.

She had come by for a surprise lunch with Twilight, but when she burst into the library, picnic basked in hoof, she was greeted by Spike. He said that Twilight got a letter from Princess Celestia and had to leave for Canterlot immediately. She then packed a bag and departed for the eleven o’clock train. It was now one o’clock. The train had come and gone with a certain lavender unicorn on it, and there was no way for Rainbow to catch it.

Spike had also mentioned that Twilight should be back sometime the next morning, so Rainbow asked if she could spend the night and surprise her when she would return home. Rainbow had spent the rest of the day lounging around the library, napping, and reading Daring Do.

She had just popped up to Twilight’s bedroom for a spare bookmark when she noticed the previously mentioned letter sitting open and inviting on Twilight’s desk, just begging, nay, praying for Rainbow Dash to read. Curiosity overcoming her, Rainbow closed the door and snuck over to read the letter that had dragged her marefriend away from a surprise lunch date.

To My Faithful and Most Dearest Student Twilight Sparkle,

I have just been informed that the High Council of Scholars and Magi have a recently vacated position amongst their ranks. I also happen to remember a certain young unicorn filly who dreamed of one day sitting on that Council ever since she began her studies with me.

I have sent a request for the High Council to see you as soon as it is possible. At the very mention of your name they shut down all other interviews and have all but began planning the acceptance ceremony. Needless to say, your reputation speaks for you!

Of course, you will have to leave your studies in Ponyville and return to Canterlot to be a part of this prestigious group.

I look forward to your return to Canterlot. I am very proud of you, my faithful student.

Fondest wishes,

Princess Celestia

Rainbow’s blood had run cold as she finished reading the letter. She could feel the tears begin to well up in her eyes as the realization of the situation began to sink in.

Twilight leaving Ponyville? No…she’s already gone. But she wouldn’t just leave without saying goodbye at least, would she?

The evidence around her spoke otherwise.

She must have been so excited that she left right away. She’s probably having tea with Celestia right now talking about her living arrangements…

Rainbow paced about the room for hours on end until her body finally gave up and she collapsed on Twilight’s bed, sniffling as the remnants of her tears continued their slow trail down her face, pooling into the blankets underneath her.

She inhaled deeply and sighed. The blankets and pillows still smelt of lavender, still smelt of Twilight.

What am I gonna do now? Was her last thought as she drifted into an uneasy sleep.

The next morning, Rainbow woke to the sound of the library door closing and hoofsteps pacing around in the living area downstairs. Instantly awake, she kicked the blankets off and ran downstairs, heart rising as she hoped to see a certain unicorn returning home…

And she was rewarded with the sight of Twilight Sparkle setting down her saddlebags and stretching, framed by the glow of the rising sun.

“Twilight!” Rainbow cried as she enveloped Twilight in an all-consuming hug, “you’re home!”

A little surprised, but nonetheless happy at the sudden appearance of her lover, Twilight returned the hug and giggled, “Of course I’m home Rainbow! Why wouldn’t I be?”

Releasing Twilight, Rainbow stepped back and scratched the back of her neck sheepishly with her hoof.

“Well, I came over yesterday for a totally awesome and unexpected picnic, but Spike said you went off to Canterlot after getting a letter from Princess Celestia, and then I found the letter open on your desk, and well, I thought…”

“Thought what Rainbow?” Twilight asked concerned, placing a reassuring hoof on Rainbow’s shoulder.

“Well, I thought that you were so excited about the whole council thing that you packed your bags and left…”

“What? Oh, Rainbow, no. I’d never leave you like that, at least not without saying goodbye,” she put her hoof under Rainbow’s chin to pull her face up to make her look in Twilight’s eyes.

She smiled lovingly and said, “In fact, the only reason I went to Canterlot right away was to tell Princess Celestia, and the Council, that I was honoured for their consideration but that I had to decline.”

Rainbow was pretty sure her jaw just hit the floor with an audible *thump.*

“Wha-? But why? I thought this was your dream!?”

“Maybe it was. But I couldn’t just leave Ponyville, leave the girls, and most importantly, I could never leave you behind. Can’t you see, Rainbow? I can’t really explain why, and I never knew that I could feel this way about another pony, but my only dream right now is to be with you. I don’t know how you did this to me, but I can’t imagine life without you in it.”

It was the sappiest thing Rainbow had ever heard another pony say to her in her life. Totally uncool.

Rainbow loved it. She hugged Twilight again, some tears still rolling down her cheek.

“Ya know, I was about to say the same to you. I was so scared when I found out you left that I wouldn’t see you again.”

Twilight nuzzled her, “Don’t worry, I’m not going anywhere.”

Author's Note:

Hooray! Another song prompt! This time we have "I Only Wanna Be With You" performed by Volbeat and suggested by TheLastBrunnenG (go check his stuff out, it is vastly superior to my own). Thanks for suggesting this, I had actually never heard of Volbeat before this! Although I must damn you to the ninth level of hell Brunnen. I can't get this song out of my head.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD, GET OUT OF MY HEAD!