• Published 4th Mar 2013
  • 3,098 Views, 193 Comments

Jukebox Scribbles - Timaeus



A series of mini-stories featuring TwiDash based on song prompts. Heavily inspired by the TwiDash prompts given in the TwiDash group, expect little continuity.

  • ...
8
 193
 3,098

"Boot Scootin Boogie"

Prompt - "Boot Scootin Boogie" by Brooks & Dunn


“You can’t be serious,” Rainbow said for the upteenth time. She folded her hooves across her chest and looked at Twilight with the most deadpan stare she could muster, with a hint of pleading thrown in for good measure. It almost never failed.

“For the last time, Rainbow, I’m very serious,” Twilight said with a tired voice. She levitated a brush through her hair and stared at Rainbow’s reflection in her vanity’s mirror.

Rainbow scoffed and rolled her eyes. “Yeah, you keep on saying that, but c’mon Twi. Really?”

Yes, Rainbow.” Twilight replaced her hairbrush on the vanity and looked over her shoulder at Rainbow Dash. Her lips were pulled in a thin line and it was with a note of annoyance in her voice that she said, “I said we’d go, so we’re going. Now, will you get ready, please?”

Rainbow groaned and fell back onto the bed, drawing a sigh from Twilight. Rainbow could see the bright red of the Sweet Apple Acres barn sticking out among the apple trees from the window of Twilight’s room. A colourful banner was hung across the barn doors, and if Rainbow squinted her eyes she could just make out the specks of a couple ponies on the barn roof fiddling with light fixtures.

She chewed the inside of her cheek, trying to find some way to weasel out of what was to come. “This is a prank, isn’t it?” Rainbow asked after a moment. She lifted her head and smirked at Twilight. “Yeah, that’s what this is. You’re just setting me up for a laugh!”

“Rainbow, you’re being ridiculous.”

“Exactly what a would-be prankster would want me to think!” Rainbow leaped from the bed with a victorious yell. Her hooves landed on the crystal floor with a click mere inches from Twilight. “You can’t prank a prankster, Twi. Especially not one as awesome as I am.”

Twilight sighed again and rolled her eyes, but Rainbow knew she had caught her out. Her smirk turned into an outright cocky grin and she prodded Twilight’s chest. “Ha! I knew it! So, who got you in on this? Was it Pinkie? Is she trying to get me back for the icing prank? I bet—”

Rainbow’s was cut off by a purple hoof delicately placed over her lips. “Rainbow, this isn’t a prank. If you don’t want to go, then just say so,” Twilight said with a tone of finality. Rainbow’s face fell as Twilight lowered her hoof and turned back to her vanity. “I won’t stop you from not going, but I was really looking forward to tonight with you.”

Twilight ran the brush through her mane a few more times before levitating a straw cowpony hat onto her head. Rainbow, in the meantime, gawked at her marefriend. Her throat bobbed uselessly and she opened her mouth to speak several times only to close it repeatedly.

Twilight turned back to Rainbow and lightly kissed her cheek. “If you really don’t want to go, then I guess I’ll see you later tonight.” Rainbow continued to gape as Twilight turned and trotted towards the bedroom door. It wasn’t until she registered how glassy Twilight’s eyes were that Rainbow jumped into action.

“Wait!” Rainbow bolted to the front of the door and stood facing Twilight. “If... if you really wanna go, then I guess...” Rainbow sighed. “I guess I’ll go too,” she said, her voice laden with reluctance.

“You will?” Twilight asked, her eyes lighting up in excitement.

Rainbow swallowed and nodded stiffly. “Yeah. What kind of marefriend would I be if I let you go to a dance on your own?” She forced a smirk, but found that the words came easier as a smile grew on Twilight’s face.

“Yes!” Twilight cheered, wrapping Rainbow up in a bonecrushing hug. “Oh, thank you, Rainbow! I know you don’t really want to go, but it means so much to me that you will!” She released Rainbow, and before Rainbow had a chance to breathe she was suddenly staring at the rim of a cowpony hat hovering between her and Twilight.

Rainbow inwardly cringed as she slowly placed the hat over her head. She could just make out her blurry reflection in the crystal walls. Rainbow wanted nothing more than to throw the hat off and fly somewhere where the sound of country tunes couldn’t reach her. She thought of how the night was likely to unfold, and Rainbow felt a pang for her sure to be damaged reputation.

Rainbow turned to march out of the bedroom, ready to get the night over and done with. She had hardly taken a step before she was pulled out of her thoughts by a pair of lips pressed against her own. The pair of lips pulled away, and Rainbow was left to gape once again at Twilight as the alicorn smiled warmly at Rainbow.

“I promise I’ll make it up to you when we get back,” Twilight said, her eyes lidded and her voice barely above a whisper.

Rainbow felt a smile tugging at her lips despite herself and she sighed again. “Line dancing? Really?”

“Yes, really.” Twilight giggled. “Come on, it won’t be that bad. You might even have fun!”

“Twilight, do you have any idea how lame dancing is? Especially line dancing? It’s like... It’s...” Rainbow waved a hoof around, as if trying to grasp something she couldn’t see. “I don’t even have the words for how lame it is! That’s how lame it is!”

“I’m sure you’ll survive.” Twilight sidled up next to Rainbow and draped a wing over her. Rainbow felt warm. “Just focus on the pony you’ll be dancing next to instead, okay?”

“You know I’d only do this for you, right?”

Twilight smiled as the pair walked out of the castle and towards Sweet Apple Acres. “I know, and I wouldn’t want to do-si-do with anypony besides you, Rainbow.”

Rainbow groaned. It was going to be a long night.

Author's Note:

To anyone who, like me, had to suffer line dancing to the tune of this song throughout elementary/middle school, I apologize wholeheartedly for drudging up those horrid memories. You can blame either me or the Calgary Stampede, where I heard this song played copiously and I just had to share my torment with everyone who reads this.

Are there any songs you think I should write to? If so, then post 'em in the comments and I'll probably get around to them eventually.

Questions, comments, and feedback are appreciated, as always!