• Published 4th Mar 2013
  • 3,098 Views, 193 Comments

Jukebox Scribbles - Timaeus



A series of mini-stories featuring TwiDash based on song prompts. Heavily inspired by the TwiDash prompts given in the TwiDash group, expect little continuity.

  • ...
8
 193
 3,098

"Hello, I Love You"

Song Prompt: "Hello, I Love You" - The Doors


“Hey Rainbow, I was wondering…when you started to, you know, feel the way you do about me?” Twilight asked nervously from her pillow in front of the fireplace.

“Huh?” Rainbow Dash looked up from her book at her marefriend sitting across from her.

“Well, you know, when did you start seeing me as…more than just a friend? I guess what I’m trying to ask here is…” Twilight searched for the right way to phrase what she wanted to say, a small blush spreading across her muzzle as she traced her hoof across the floor, her eyes not quite meeting Rainbow’s. It was almost as if she was embarrassed to ask such a question.

“When I fell in love with you?” Rainbow suggested, a loving smile adorning her features as the still blushing unicorn looked up at her and slowly nodded.

“What does it matter, Twi’? We’re together now, aren’t we? And unless you want me to leave, I’m never gonna go off or abandon you. Hay, even if you ever wanted me to leave I probably wouldn’t go anyways. I love you, Twilight Sparkle. I may not be the smartest pony on the block, but I’d have to really be an idiot to not have figured that out by now. Is it really that important to know why?” Rainbow explained, closing her book and pushing it away to give Twilight her undivided attention.

Twilight looked down again, feeling a little selfish for pushing the matter, “It is to me, Rainbow… I love you too, I really do. In the world of magic and academia, there are a lot of unknowns. In life, there are even more. But this is the one thing that I feel I know without a doubt. It’s just…why me? What makes me so special out of all of the other mares in Equestria?”

“Twilight, I…” Rainbow started.

“Forget it,” Twilight interrupted, looking up and giving Rainbow a forced small smile, “I was just being silly. Let’s…let’s just get back to reading.”

Rainbow Dash could tell that this was upsetting her.

“What makes you so special? Come on, Twilight, look at you! You’re the smartest pony I know, you’re funny, caring, generous, and honestly the prettiest pony in Ponyville!” Rainbow exclaimed.

“Prettier than Rarity?” Twilight said disbelievingly.

“Rarity has to put in so much effort to make herself look all pretty and stuff, you’re just a natural at it, like with your magic,” Rainbow explained with a wink.

Twilight’s blush grew with the praise.

“I knew all of this within a day of meeting you. It took me a little while to figure out that I had a crush on you, and even longer to figure out that it wasn’t a simple crush, but that I had really fallen for you…” Rainbow continued in a small voice.

“I can’t quite put my hoof on when exactly I knew I was in love you. Somehow you just managed to worm your way into my heart without me noticing. But…I think…it was right after you saved me from Discord’s spell that I finally figured out my little crush wasn’t really so little,” Rainbow laughed a little, scratching the back of her head with her hoof.

Twilight’s blush had only grown while Rainbow was speaking, and it was quickly mirrored in intensity on Rainbow’s face.

“Rainbow…” Twilight whispered. She got up from her pillow to close the small gap between the two and lay down to give Rainbow a hug, “thank you.”

Rainbow chuckled a little, “Hey, don’t think you get off scot free here. When did you start to feel the same?”

Twilight’s eyes widened, “Umm, it’s really not that important.”

“That’s what I said! Come on! I told you,” Rainbow said playfully, still holding onto the warmth emanating from the lavender mare.

With a sigh, Twilight drew away from the hug, “Okay, you win.”

“I guess you could say that it was a really good thing that you knocked me over that day of the Summer Sun Celebration. Remember how before coming to Ponyville I was skeptical to see the value in friendship?” Twilight started to explain, closing her eyes as she recounted the tale.

“Heh heh, I think ‘skeptical’ is putting it kinda lightly.”

“Okay, fair enough. Well, I was even worse when it came to love. You managed to change my mind about that in less than 10 seconds of meeting you.”

“Huh?” a confused Rainbow Dash interjected.

“I knew from the first moment I saw you that you were the prettiest and most stunning mare that I’ve ever seen. Of course it took me a while of getting to know you that I really loved you. You’re confident, you never give up, you're loyal…I can’t even put into words how amazing you are,” Twilight said, a tear rolling down her cheek.

“Wow, Twilight, I had no idea,” Rainbow moved from her pillow to lie down next to her marefriend, “But why’d you say it was a good thing that I crashed into you? I mean, it wasn’t exactly the best way to meet a pony.”

Twilight drew in closer to Rainbow, wrapping her hooves around her midsection, “Because, if you had not crashed into me, covered me in mud, drenched me in water, and ruined my mane, I probably would have said something stupid. In fact, if you didn’t aggravate me so much that day I can probably tell you exactly what I would have said.”

Rainbow wrapped a wing around the unicorn, the light from the fire dancing across her features, “Oh really? And what would that be?”

Twilight looked into Rainbow’s eyes, and before drawing her into a kiss, said:

“Hello, I love you.”

The two stayed in each other’s embrace until sleep finally took them, their books (and dinner) forgotten.

Author's Note:

The prompt for this song was The Door's famous "Hello, I Love You." I hope I did the song some justice here.

And wholly moley! 51 Likes and 62 Favourites? I'm...I'm speechless. Thank you so much everyone! I never expected this to get so popular. I'm going to go ahead and post this now, but I do have a double-feature coming up that should be up at some point today (I hope)!