• Published 21st Feb 2013
  • 2,215 Views, 104 Comments

The Stallion in the Library - leonidas701



2 weeks after defeating Nightmare Moon, Twilight finds a visitor in her library. Who is this stallion, where did he come from, and why is he so interested in Pinkie Pie?

  • ...
15
 104
 2,215

Enter the Everfree

It’s all mah fault, Apple Bloom thought as she walked along the forest path. If Ah hadn’t tried to follow Zecora then none of this would ‘ave happened. No, no! Ah can’t think like that right now. Remember what Applejack always says. ‘If you make a mess, yah gotta clean it up.’ But what if she tries to put a curse on me? What if she turns me into a frog, or a newt, or a beatle. What if she just laughs at me? Apple Bloom’s thoughts were so consumed by this that she didn’t realize that she was at Zecora’s hut until she almost ran into the front door.

Well, Apple Bloom thought with a gulp. Ah guess I better start cleanin up that mess. Summoning all of her courage, Apple Bloom lifted her front hoof and knocked at the door. Once, twice, three times she knocked with no response. Maybe she’s not home? Apple Bloom cautiously thought before suddenly the door opened, and standing there above her was Zecora.

They stood there, just looking at each other while Apple bloom tried to use whatever courage she hadn’t used up on opening the door to speak. After a few seconds passed Zecora smiled at the little filly.

“Step right in little one, I have some tea that’s almost done,” Zecora said as she stepped aside to let the filly in. Apple Bloom was so stunned by this display, so far from what she was expecting, that her automatic responses took over.

“Thank you kindly,” Apple Bloom said as she walked through the door. Upon entering the door she was struck by just how alien the place looked. The masks on the wall, the cauldron on the floor, the figure laying down, and the rows of shelves with unmarked bottles, along with many other odd trinkets here and there.

“You must have come for a reason so why don’t you sit,” Zecora said, startling Apple Bloom out of her haze. The zebra continued speaking. “I’ll make you a cup of tea while you tell me about it.” Zecora walked off to an alcove where a kettle was steaming.

“I recommend you accept the offer.” The figure on the floor spoke, startling Apple Bloom again. “Zecora makes a mean cuppa.”

“O- ok. Thank you.” Apple Bloom hastily said as she sat down on the floor. “Wh- who are you?”

“Isn’t it rude to ask someone else’s name before giving your own?” The figure asked amusedly.

“S- sorry, mister!” The slightly scared filly responded.

“Oh calm down, I was just kidding.” The figure turned to give the filly a comforting smile. “My name’s Card.”

“Ah’m Apple Bloom.”

“Nice to meet you.” Card said. “Now then, looks like the tea’s done.”

“Indeed it is,” Zecora said as she emerged from her alcove carrying a kettle and three cups. After she placed a cup in front of every pony present, she took her own seat across from Apple Bloom. “Now then little Apple Bloom, tell me why you’re in such a gloom.”

“Well it all started when mah big sister, Applejack, woke up today.”

-----Flashback time!-----

Ah was getting up out of bed, ready to start work on mah chores for the day, when Ah heard a tiny little scream comin’ from Applejack’s room. I ran outta my room faster ‘en Ah’ve ever moved before, but when Ah got to her room Ah didn’t see Applejack anywhere. Ah started looking around until Ah heard a little grunt coming from her bed. Ah took a closer look and saw a teeny tiny little Applejack hanging off her blanket, holding on with her teeth. Ah quickly grabbed her up and put her onto her bed.

“Thanks sugarcube.” She said as moved her jaw ‘round. “Ah don’ know how long Ah coulda hung on.” Then she started looking around her all panicky like. “Where is it? Where is it?!”

“Where’s what?” Ah asked.

“Mah hat! Ah can’t find it!”

“It’s right over here.” Ah picked her hat up off the floor

“Thank Celestia!” She said, then she turned kinda sheepish. “Ah, sugarcube.?”

“Yeah?”

“Could y’all put the hat on me?”

“Uhm, Ah don’t think it’ll fit.”

“Just trust me.” Ah still wasn’t sure, but when that hat touched her head it shrunk to fit her perfectly. After she spent some time making sure the hat was on right, Ah asked her what happened.

“Ah don’t know, but Ah bet that Twilight does.” So, Ah picked her up and carried her over to Twilight’s house. Oh, Ah don’t know if you know her, but Twilight is-

“I know Twinkly quite well, and I’ve been telling Zecora about her,” Card interrupted. “Along with your sister.”

Good, then Ah don’t have to tell you where we went. But, when we got there Ah found out that Applejack wasn’t the only one who was having problems. Rarity had her mane in a mess, Rainbow Dash had her wings on backwards, Pinkie had a swollen tongue and it was all orange and covered in blue polka dots. Oh, they’re-

“I know who they are too,” Card said. “I’ve told Zecora about them as well.”

Well they were all standing around outside Twilight’s door, along with Fluttershy and a Blue mare who Ah didn’t know, but apparently mah sister did. After they all said their hello’s and such, they started talking ‘bout what happened, and they all said it was Zecora’s fault. Eventually Twilight came down, her horn was all messed up though, and let them us in and she and that blue mare-

“I believe that mare of blue, is Trixie who you are referring to.” Zecora was the one to interrupt this time.

“Well done.” Card said.

...Well anyways, Twilight and Trixie started tearing through Twilight’s books, trying to find out what happened. Everypony started to yell and scream that it was Zecora, and that they should come and find out what happened, but Twilight kept saying that curses don’t exist and there was some other reason for all of it, and Ah just started thinking that if it was Zecora who did it, that it was mah responsibility to come ask her for help since if it wasn’t for me then they wouldn’ be in this mess. So Ah came here.

-----Flashback Over!-----

“Can ya help them?” Apple Bloom asked Zecora, who just gave the filly a small smile and said,

“Little one, don’t be afraid. I would be happy to give your friends aid.” Zecora moved over to her shelf of bottle and, after selecting a few, moved over to her cauldron and got to work. “Their affliction is easy enough to remedy, poison joke cure is an old recipe passed down in my family.”

“Thank ya so much!” An overjoyed Apple Bloom said.

While the mare’s got busy fixing up the antidote, Card was staying strangely silent. He had a look of deep thought on his face, only broken up momentarily when he took sips of his tea.

-----Meanwhile, Outside The Hut-----

“Oh, I look horrible!” Rarity whined, referring to her already messed up mane and coat along with the various and sundry leaves and twigs that had gotten caught in it as they walked to Zecora’s hut.

“Plis place plooks horrible!” Pinkie Pie slurred as she lifted up part of Rarity’s hair to let her see.

“Oh my!” Rarity gasped. “That place really does look horrible! Nice decorations though, if you like creepy.”

“What’s Card doing there?” Trixie asked as she took a closer look.

The assembled mare’s collectively let out some form of “What!?” and looked through the window.

“Hah!” Rainbow Dash said. “I knew he wasn’t any good!”

“What?” Twilight, Trixie, and Applejack all turned and asked.

“Well, why else would he be hanging out with an evil enchantress like Zecora?” Rainbow Dash said in attempt to justify herself.

Pinkie Pie started to sing, then realized she couldn’t and turned to Fluttershy. Fluttershy let out a sigh and began to sing Pinkie’s song as Pinkie danced. The other mares ignored the events, Applejack beginning to talk.

“Now just you hold on a second! Card might be a touch odd, but he ain’t evil!”

“Well to be fair darling, how much do we really know about Card?” Rarity asked.

“Ah know enough!” You know, Applejack’s defense of Card would be a lot more impressive if it didn’t sound like she was getting helium pumped into her lungs. Fortunately Trixie joined in.

“Yeah. Card hasn’t done anything wrong since I’ve met him, and I’ve probably spent the most time with him out of anypony here.”

“Look, it doesn’t matter why Card is here,” Twilight said, trying to mediate between her friends. “What matters is that Zecora is here, and if Card’s with her she can’t be all bad.”

“Oh come on, Twilight!” Rainbow Dash said. “Look at the signs!”

“Scary masks, confusing incantations, and a big bubbling cauldron?” Twilight let out a sigh. “Maybe she’s just making soup.”

“Yeah? Then where’s Apple Bloom?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Shh shh shh,” Pinkie Pie went, trying to shush the other mares. “Shecora’s joing sometind.”

-----Inside the hut-----

Zecora stuck her hoof in the cauldron. “Mmm! The perfect temperature for ponies I presume. Now where is that little Apple Bloom?” Zecora asked as she looked around.

“Ah’m in here!” Apple Bloom called out from the kitchen alcove, “Ah’m just refilling the kettle, Card drank all’a the tea!”

Speaking of Card, he chose this moment to stand up and move over to the cauldron and began pushing it.

“My friend, why my work do you disturb?” a confused Zecora asked. “Is there something that has you perturbed?”

Card didn’t respond and just gave the cauldron one last push. “Okay,” he said as he looked between the door and where the cauldron was. “Here should be safe.”

Apple Bloom spoke from the kitchen. “What’re y’all talking ‘bou-”

“AH’M COMIN’ APPLE BLOOM!”

“AAAAHH!!!”

Rainbow Dash and Applejack came barging in. Applejack ran straight to Zecora and climbed up her, pulling her hair, biting her ears, grabbing whatever she could reach and pulling. Rainbow Dash flew in and through where the cauldron used to be standing. As she tried to turn around she was stopped by a yank on her tail.

“Hello Rainy,” Card said with a little amused smirk on his face and his hoof stomping on Rainbow Dash’s tail. “We really must stop meeting like this.”

“Let! Me! Go!” Rainbow Dash said as she struggled to free herself.

“No.”

The rest of the mares came in, led by Twilight. “We’re onto you Zecora! I didn’t want to believe you cursed us, but the evidence is overwhelming!” Twilight said, followed by:

“You made me look ridiculous!” Rarity,

“You made me sound ridiculous!” Fluttershy,

“Bua mafre joinak hicicuas!” And Pinkie Pie.

Zecora just took a long slow look at all the ponies assembled, then turned to Card and said, “These are the ones who you wanted me to meet? They, who upon meeting me immediately mistreat?”

“Mistreat?!” Rainbow Dash said indignantly, “You cursed us, and are trying to eat Apple Bloom!”

“What’s going on out here?” Apple Bloom said as she emerged from the kitchen.

“Apple Bloom! You’re alive!” Applejack jumped off of Zecora and ran in front of her sister. “Don’t you dare touch her!”

“Why wouldn’t Ah be alive?” Apple Bloom asked as she looked down at her sister.

“Because Zecora is an evil enchantress who cursed us and was gonna cook you up into soup!” Twilight shouted.

“Enchantress?” Card asked, not taking any weight off of Rainbow Dash’s tail as he turned to face Zecora. “Wait, I thought you were a shaman?”

Zecora managed a pretty good nod of affirmation through her laughter, while Apple Bloom began speaking.

“Oh Twilight. Did those silly fillies finally get in yer head? You know there's no such thing as a curse.”

“Apple Bloom, sweetie,” Twilight said. “You can't just stand there and tell me this isn't a curse.”

“Actually, you’re both wrong,” Card said. “Curses do exist, but this isn’t one. What it is, is poison joke.”

Zecora nodded in agreement, saying, “If you will remember back, the words I spoke were quite exact.”

“Beware, beware you pony folk. Those leaves of blue are not a joke,” Twilight recited. “Wait, those leaves are what did this to us?”

“Yep,” Card said. “They’re called poison joke. Picture Pie, only in plant form and you’re pretty close to what they are and do. Though they thankfully are stuck in one place. Well, usually.” Card then turned to Rainbow Dash who was sitting on the floor and pouting. “I’m going to step off now.” Card did so and walked over to where Trixie was standing, watching the proceedings and enjoying the show. Card reached into his jacket and started to hand things to her, whispering instructions while the mares kept talking to each other. “You need to fill this up and then...”

As Card and Trixie whispered and the others talked, Rainbow Dash skulked out the door. He embarrassed me, he made me yank out almost half of my tail, he turned some of my best friends against me and I can’t even fly home because of these stupid messed up wings! Rainbow Dash was consumed with thoughts like these as she walked back from the hut. I can understand Twilight, she’s been spending so much time with him the she’s started talking like him, but Applejack! She’s been like my best friend since I moved here. I haven’t seen Card help her out with the harvest, or make sure her farms get all the rain she needs, or watch over her for a full week when she got sick so her brother could keep the farm running. What’s Card done for her? Oh, he found her stupid dog, woop-de-fucking-do! Rainbow Dash let out a scoff. Then she let out a sigh, as she looked at the ground with sorrow-filled eyes. I guess being the element of loyalty doesn’t work both ways. Rainbow Dash was so distracted by her thoughts that she didn’t even notice she was walking deeper, and deeper, and deeper into the Everfree Forest.

Author's Note:

Okay, so good news, bad news, and then story-related news.

Good news: Summer Break!!!!! Which means I get more time at my computer.

Bad News: Summer Job, which means I will be very tired at my computer.

Story News: N just got in an accident, and so he's unable to send in his lines for the next few weeks. Since I don't have a narrator, the next few chapters will all be in first person, or first pony if you want. Fortunately we are approching a very good time for this, as you will see with the next few chapters.

While I was writing this chapter, I started talking with one of my friends about manga, more specifically about harem manga and how they have all these interesting girls in them, but the main character is usually incredibly boring. Now, while the story is most definitely NOT going the way of a harem, I realized that what I am doing is essentially trying to take a similar situation with a lot of interesting, complex girls, and making the male the most interesting of them all. So I want to ask all of you, am I doing my job? Is Card interesting to you? Also, is the backstory I'm giving the girls interesting?