• Published 13th Feb 2013
  • 2,784 Views, 96 Comments

The Human Hero of Ponyville - Alex Rite



Alex Cooper was once a pretty average human teenager at the age of sixteen. He lived as an orphan for most of his life with only his older brother and twin sister to keep him company. After his sister mysteriously disappears, he goes into a depresion

  • ...
57
 96
 2,784

Chapter 12

Chapter 12 Twin Trouble (Part 2)
Written by Alex Rite
with the help of the amazing Deyeaz
and the brilliant LikeaBaws

“Wait a minute,” Rainbow Dash said, still feeling shock from the information Alex had just told her and the others. “Trixie is your twin sister? How is that even possible?”

“I have no idea,” Alex replied, much to the dissatisfaction of the mares and dragon who had been expecting him to have the answer. “But one thing is for sure: that was most definitely my sister. Only Trix would have the nerve to just show up outta the blue in front of a group of random peop—er...” Alex was still getting used to the ways the Equestrian language was different from his own “...ponies, and stand up on a stage calling herself ‘The Great and Powerful Trixie’.” Alex scratched the side of his head as a confusing thought came to his mind. “There is something different about her though. Something that definitely changed since the last time I saw her. New hairstyle maybe?”

“Well, Alex,” said Spike, a bemused look on his face, “You ever consider that it might be that she’s—oh, I don’t know—a unicorn?”

"True,” Alex confessed. “But I still say she’s doing something different with her hair—er, mane.”

“But that’s just it,” commented Twilight. “She’s a unicorn—not a human or a draconequus. How is it possible that she’s your sister? I don’t even see any form of resemblance between the two of you.”

“Well I see it,” said Pinkie, a small grin on her face.

“You do?” everyone asked, turning their heads towards the pink mare.

“Yeah! It’s in the eyes,” Pinkie said, pointing to her own eyes to emphasize her statement. “Alex and Trixie’s eyes have a similar gleam of fun and mischief in them. And Trixie has that confident, lopsided smirk that Alex has all the time. Can’t you guys see it?” At this, Spike and the girls all took a close look at Alex’s face.

“Now that you’ve mentioned it,” said Rarity, “I actually do see it. I can’t believe I hadn’t noticed it before.” The others agreed.

“Okay, but that still doesn’t explain how she got here and became a unicorn,” said Applejack.

“Um, Alex, could she have gotten here the same way you did?” asked Fluttershy quietly. “How- uh- how exactly did you get here? I mean- if you don’t mind me asking.”

“I have absolutely no idea,” Alex answered her, leaning against the side of Trixie’s Trailer. “All I know is that one moment I’m asleep in my uncomfortable bed at the orphanage, the next I’m waking up in the Everfree Forest and getting attacked by Timber Wolves. Not exactly the best first impression for the new guy in Equestria. How Trixie managed to get herself here is beyond me.”

“Well, there’s only one way to find out,” said Twilight. “Lets see what Trixie can tell us about how she got here.”


The group, lead by Alex, stood in front of the door of Trixie’s trailer. Alex knocked on the door as hard as he possibly could.

“Little sis, little sis, let me in,” Alex said, much to the confusion of the group behind him.

“Not by the scrapes on your chinny-chin-chin.” replied Trixie from the inside. Alex smirked at the answer given to him, recognizing it. The same thought was obviously going through Trixie’s head after she let out a giggle, as an audible “Damn” was heard.

“What was that?” ask Spike, confused.

Turning to him, Alex replied, “Back at the orphanage, Trix would lock herself in her room whenever she was upset. One time, to get her to come out I said, ‘little sis, little sis, let me in.’ Now back at the orphanage, I was known to be a bit clumsy, often falling down on my face, so she always replied, ‘not by the scrapes on your chinny-chin-chin.’ She laughed so hard that she finally calmed down and opened the door. After that, anytime she got upset I just went up to her room and we made the same exchange.”

Turning back to the door Alex said, “Now let us in Trixie, or I will huff and puff and blow this door down.”

Trixie, no longer wearing her hat and cape, slowly opened the door with a sigh, a bemused look on her face. “Fine. You and your friends can come in.”

As Alex and the rest of the gang came in, Trixie had no reaction other than a small exchange with Twilight when she came in.

“Sparkle.”

“Trixie.”

Alex took a good look around the trailer as the others came in. Despite it being a little small, the interior was quite roomy, only having a single bed in the corner of the room by a back window and a small desk on the side wall, and would most likely fit everyone in with a little room to move around. Given that there were four solid walls on all sides of the trailer, Alex assumed that the stage that came out of the side was either very well compacted, or had some magical properties. Considering the lack of props cluttering the trailer, it was obvious Trixie magically stored them somewhere, although where Alex had no idea, as he was still trying to figure out magic storage himself.

“Well Trix, still tidy as ever I see.” Alex said to the unicorn as she squeezed through the small crowd of ponies, dragon, and human to sit down on her bed.

“Well, you know me, I’ve always been a bit of a neat freak. Having magical abilities does help out a bit, though.” Trixie replied, tapping her horn with a hoof.

“Ah, that reminds me, I have a very important question for you.”

Spike and the girls waited anxiously for Alex to ask the question that was on all of their minds, the question to which the answer would hopefully bring about some explanation for the strange events and odd occurrences of Alex and his Draconequus nature.

“...Are you doing something new with your mane?” Alex asked.

CRASH!

Everyone looked out the door behind them to where a random stallion who appeared to have been carrying a large box filled with fragile items had dropped it, everything inside shattering upon impact and scattering around on the ground. “Aw crap! My wife’s gonna kill me!”

Trixie magically closed the door and, seeing the bemused and annoyed looks of the dragon and ponies as the question Alex had asked finally registered in their brains (except for Pinkie Pie who had, of course, been wondering the same thing, and was sporting a goofy grin as she nodded her approval), smiled to them.

“I see you haven’t changed much either,” she said, turning back to Alex. “Still the lovable, ignorant guy who thinks he’s completely hilarious and tries to make others laugh by bringing your humor into any situation, no matter how serious it’s supposed to be.”

“You’d better believe it,” Alex replied smugly, the gleam in his eye Pinkie had mentioned earlier becoming more prominent.
Trixie turned to the others. “I’m guessing what you really want to know is how I got to Equestria and why I’m unicorn instead of a human?”
At their nod, Trixie continued. “Well, first things first...” Trixie turned her gaze back to her brother. “This is a new mane style. Like it?”

“Love it.”

CRASH!

“AW BUCK!!”

This time Twilight was the one who used magic to close the shade on the window, muffling the curses of the stallion who, after cleaning everything up, had dropped the large box once again, and causing the room to become a bit darker, as little light was able to filter through the dark blue shade.

“I’m beginning to see more of a resemblance between you and your brother.” Rarity said after she and the others (again, excluding a giggling Pinkie Pie) let out a group sigh.

Trixie and Alex both let out a small giggle, which sounded so similar that the others decided it must be another thing they shared as siblings.

“Well, on the bright, or should I say darker side, now we have a nice mood for me to tell my story.”
“Engage Flashback Mode!” Alex exclaimed, Trixie letting another giggle slip before telling her tale.


“After getting laughed off the stage on that fateful night those few years ago, I ran up to my room tears flowing from my eyes. Looking back as I ran up the stairs, I saw the figure of my brother begin to run after me, most likely wishing to comfort me, only to be stopped by the hand of our older brother Sam. Alex and I may have been twins, and may have cared for me more than almost anyone else, but Sam was the one who understood me better. He knew that I needed some time alone to collect myself before anyone should attempt to cheer me up.

“Unfortunately, with the sorry state I was in, it would take a lot more than just a little time for me to get over this one. Running into my room, I slammed the door shut and locked it, then huddled into the corner of my room where I always go after a failed performance. Written on this wall was the word performances placed over a set of rectangles, One labeled ‘Failed’ and the other labeled ‘Fantastic.’ When I had first failed a magic performance I had written this here to keep progress of how well I would improve after that first defeat. Picking up the pencil I had laying over there, I scratched another mark into the ‘Failed’ column. The failed column was now completely full, one hundred failed marks in all.

“One hundred. One hundred defeats at trying to be great at something. One hundred times of being laughed at. One hundred failures that I had acquired since the beginning of my attempts at fame. Slowly, I turned my head to the ‘Fantastic’ column to look at the number of good performances I had done. What I saw made my failures even more crushing. The ‘Fantastic’ column was completely blank. There was nothing.

“Zero.

“Zilch.

“Nada.

“Not. One. SINGLE.MARK.

“One hundred failed performances. Not even one single success.

“I curled up into a ball and cried for what felt like hours. I cried, and I cried, and I cried, and I cried. I cried until I couldn’t cry anymore. When I finally stopped crying, I looked over to my bed. Laying on top of it was an old green book titled ‘Magic Spells of the Magnificent Merlin the Magician.’ The old book of spells Alex had gotten me for our birthday last year. It was a very old book; much of the words on the cover and the cover itself were quite faded. The writing on the inside of the ancient tome appeared to be handwritten in a form of ink that looked black on first glance, but after close inspection was actually an extremely dark shade of green. A message was written on the inside of the cover in an ink that seemed to flash from bright reds to light oranges to dark yellows, almost as though it had been written in fire. The seemingly magical message read:

‘To those who possesseth this grandiose tome,
if thou art worthy of it’s knowledge known,
if thou canst handle nature’s truest powers,
if thou wishest to help in the darkest of hours,
if thou art brave and strong of heart and of will,
if thou rejecteth the villainous urges to kill,
if thou seekest power to protect thyself and thy kin,
then may this tome granteth ye the power of the wizard Merlin.’

“At the end of the message was what appeared to be the signature of Merlin himself, written in a purple ink that seemed to always sparkle, even with almost no light at all. Alex had taken one look at the book and knew that weather or not it was the real deal or just a very impressive looking fake, it was the perfect gift to make me smile. Alex had asked the man in charge of the bookstore how much it was worth, and the total cost was one hundred and fifty dollars. Alex felt it was fate for him to find that book, as he had saved up exactly that much with all the work he had done that year. Alex bought the book on the spot, not stopping to think that the book might not be worth that amount, not stopping to think of all the things he could by for himself with that money. The only thought that went through his head was how much he knew his sister would love it.

“I remembered opening that present the night of our birthday, the shock and awe on my face at the sight of the incredibly beautiful old book. That night had been one of the very few times that when I had wept they were tears of joy. Then my joy had come to a sudden stop when I thought about the present I had gotten for him, how pathetic it was in comparison. I remember I had watched worriedly as Alex opened the present I had gotten for him- a dark blue beret. At first, Alex had a confused look on his face that caused me to worry. I hadn’t done a lot to earn any money that year, and when time finally caught up with me I bought the first thing I could afford that I felt Alex might like. Now that we had exchanged presents and I had seen how much work and selflessness Alex had put into my present and all the nothing I put into his, I felt like the worst sister ever.

“But then Alex smiled and put on the hat, thanking me and telling me how thoughtful of a gift it was. I couldn’t tell if he was exaggerating or being sincere, but either way it meant that Alex liked it and that he didn’t think I was a bad sister. I was so happy to know that weather or not he liked the hat, he was kind enough to tell me he did. it was the best birthday we’d had together, and thinking about it always made me smile.

“The reminiscence of that day was enough to cheer me up, and I got up and sat on my bed, looking through the old book at all the intricate spells and masterfully drawn images. After a while, a knock on the door brought my head out of the books pages.

“‘Little sis, little sis, let me in,’ Alex said.

“Giggling, as always, I replied, ‘Not by the scrapes on your chinny-chin-chin.’

“After laughing at our joke for a minute or two, I went to the door and opened it, letting in Alex and Sam. Alex smiled, glad to see that I wasn’t feeling upset anymore.

“‘So, had enough time to cool down I see?’ said Sam, grinning. I nodded to him.

“‘Great,’ said Alex, now leaning against the wall. ‘Because you shouldn’t care about impressing those jerks out there. I mean, who cares? So what if you suck at magic? All that really matters is-’ Alex stopped when he noticed the shocked look on my face. ‘-What?’

“‘...suck...at...magic...?’ I said, tears beginning to well up behind my eyes.

“‘You idiot,” said Sam, facepalming.

“‘You think... I suck... at magic?’ The tears were now rolling down my face.

“Alex, realizing his slip-up, started to babble as he tried to take back his comment. ‘No- I didn’t- that’s not what I- I mean- I- uh-’

“‘SAVE IT!’ I screamed, running out of the room, my spellbook held tightly in my hands, tears rapidly flowing down my face.

“‘Trixie!’ I heard my brother yell as he tried to follow me.

“‘LEAVE ME ALONE!’ I cried at him, the intense rage I put into that yell stopping Alex in his tracks.

“I decided that I needed some air, and despite the fact that it was already dark out, I headed my way out the door to take a walk around the block.

“As I was leaving, I heard the faint sound of Sam repeating to Alex, ‘You idiot...’”


“Wait.” said Rainbow Dash, interrupting Trixie’s retelling of the events of that night. Turning to Alex she said, “So it was your fault Trixie went outside the night she disappeared?”

“Please don’t remind me,” Alex said, a sad look on his face the likes of which the others had never seen before. “I still can’t help but hate myself for that. I mean, she wouldn’t have gone outside if I hadn’t been stupid enough to say that to her. I felt totally responsible for it, and honestly, I still do.”
The others, seeing how emotionally distraught he was over the events of that night, quickly attempted to change the subject.

“W-w-well, Alex, you shouldn’t feel t-too bad,” Fluttershy said, trying to comfort her friend. “I mean, j-just because you made one mistake, doesn’t make you a bad g-guy.”

“Yeah!” replied Spike, following Fluttershy’s lead to try and cheer up his mentor. “I mean, think about that part with the birthday present. You got Trixie that book to make her happy, you didn’t care how much it cost you.”

“That’s just another reason why you’re the best!” added Pinkie Pie.

Alex smiled at his friends attempts to cheer him up, feeling that he was the luckiest guy in the world to have such great friends. Alex turned to Trixie so she could continue telling her tale, only to get a small shock when he caught a glance of bitterness on his human-turned-unicorn sister. Before Alex had a chance to react to this unexpected reaction, the bitterness was gone from Trixie’s face, and Alex just shrugged it off as a trick of the light.

“So Trixie, you still haven’t gotten to the part about how you got to Equestria.” said Twilight, eager to learn about this strange occurrence.

“Yeah! Lets get this story rolling!” exclaimed Pinkie, shoveling popcorn from who-knows-where into her mouth.
Ignoring the oddity known as Pinkie Pie, Trixie continued to weave her tale...


“I had been walking around the block for about half an hour, the anger I had felt towards my brother, while still there, had dwindled by very much. My mind was filled with the thoughts of what had happened earlier, getting laughed at by the crowd, locking myself in my room, the one hundred failed attempts at performing magic for people, the stupid and hurtful thing my brother had said to me, whether intentional or just a major moment of stupidity. Looking down at the book in my hands, I thought once again of the events that transpired with it, and I calmed down enough to stop and think clearly. Alex may be a complete idiot sometimes, but if there was one thing I knew, it was that no one else cared about me and my happiness more than my twin brother, the book in my hands was proof enough of that.

“Leaning up against a lamppost, I began to think about how long I had been out. Knowing my brothers, by now Alex was probably freaking out with worry, and Sam would be doing whatever he could to keep Alex calm, but only being a few minutes from panicking himself. I laughed at the thought. If anybody in the world was worth caring about, it was my crazy brothers. I decided I should probably go home soon, but I stayed leaning against that lamppost for a while longer as I let one last thought through my head.

“‘So what if you suck at magic?’

“Alex’s words still ran through my head, crystal clear. He may not have meant it, it might have just been one of the stupid things that slip out of his mouth every once in a while, but that didn’t change the fact that he had said it, that he had thought of it at least once, and that, as I regretted to admit to myself, that he was right. I sucked at magic.

“Sighing, I looked up at the sky, wanting, hoping, for something, anything, that would tell me what to do. Suddenly, something caught my interest out of the corner of my eye. Looking over at it, I saw a shooting star. This one was a very strange star, however, as it didn’t look right at all. It was a bright shade of green, and it had two tails, almost as though the original one had been cut in half. Not taking a second to think about how strange it was or rethink what I was about to do, I gazed up at the star and made a wish.

“‘I wish I could do magic, magic that would silence people in a state of awe, magic so incredible that everyone would want to see it, to see me do it.’

“Feeling quite satisfied with myself, I stood there to watch the star arc all the way across the sky. However, to my surprise, instead of drifting out of my range of sight, it disappeared right before my eyes. Shocked and confused, I stood there for a second trying to figure out what had just happened. Before I could think of anything, I suddenly found myself in a swirling vortex of many colors, getting violently flung around like a ragdoll.

“I had no idea what was going on or how I had come to be here, but I hung on tightly to my spellbook as my thoughts bounced around the inside of my head. What was going on? What was going to happen to me? Was I dying? Was I about to die, all alone, never getting the chance to forgive my brother? All these thoughts ran through my head, ceasing only when everything went completely black.

“I woke up to find myself laying face down on the ground, my head hurting. The first thought that came into my head was that I must have tripped and fallen down. looking up, I noticed that my spellbook had fallen a few inches away from me. I reached out to grab it, only to notice that the hand I was reaching it with was no longer a hand, but a bright blue hoof. I screamed and jumped up, looking at my other hand to see that it, too, had become a hoof. I saw a reflection of moonlight coming from a puddle close by, and hurried over to look at myself in the reflection. However, the face peering back at me was not that of my own, but of a bright blue unicorn. I gasped, raising a hoof to touch my horn. I looked around and, finding that I was somewhere unfamiliar and devoid of life, I decided that I had to find some form of civilization.

“I picked up my book with more ease than i had expected, and began to walk towards what I hoped would be a town or city or something. As I walked down the path, I had the strange feeling that something was following me. My suspicions were proven correct when I felt the warm breath of some animal right behind me. I slowly turned around, hoping to find a stray dog or maybe a big cat standing behind me. I was partially right, as the horrifying creature behind me was part cat... and scorpion... and bat.

“I was looking right into the face of a manticore. And he did not look happy.

“I screamed, running as fast as I could from it, but the manticore was a very fast animal for something of it’s size. Before long, I tripped on the root of a tree, and before I could get back up, the manticore was over me, and I was paralyzed by fear. The manticore raised it’s paw to rip me to shreds, but before he could it was surrounded by a dark green aura, and he was flung across the woods by it. As the manticore ran away, tail between it’s legs, an old unicorn came up to me, asking me if I was alright. I answered him ‘yes’ and he smiled and helped me up. He introduced himself as Deimos, and showed me the way to his cabin. Once inside he asked me how I had ended up this far out in the woods, and I told him everything from the show, to the meltdown at my brother, to the strange shooting star, all the way up to him saving me.

“After hearing my story, he decided to tell me all about where I was and how I was a unicorn and, most important of all, how I could use magic. I was shocked and upset at first, realizing that my life, and my family, had been taken away from me not even an hour ago. But the idea that I could do magic, real live magic, was enough to inspire me to make a life in Equestria. I asked Deimos to teach me to use magic, and he happily agreed. Over the next year I put everything I had into learning magic. Deimos said that I was the fastest learner he had ever seen. I had confidence to spare, and after I had felt I’d learned enough to live my dream of being a performing magician, I decided it was time to leave. Deimos was happy to see me enthusiastically prepare for my dream, and gave me a bag of money to use once I hit the road. I traveled to a town of farming ponies who were depressed by the lack of rain they were getting because of a shortage on rainclouds. I could see that they needed something to cheer them up, and so I decided that this would be the first town I did my act in.

“It wasn’t much, just a few simple levitation tricks with animals and some card tricks, but it really lifted up the farmponies spirits. When I was done with the show they asked me how they could repay me, but I said that they didn’t have to, I had just felt that they needed some cheering up. They really felt like repaying me, though, so they decided to throw a party and invited me to stay in town for the night. They wouldn’t take no for an answer, so I agreed, and all through the night we danced and sang and had a really good time. When I awoke the next morning, I was surprised to see that the farmponies had done one last thing for me over the night. Feeling that somepony like me shouldn’t travel without some form of protection from the elements, the kind farmponies had built me a nice little wagon. They had even built it so that a stage could come out of it whenever I performed. I was shocked at their kindness and told them that it was far too much, but they explained how nothing had been able to cheer them up and make them forget about the drought until I had come along and showed them my tricks. They felt that this was the least they could do to repay me for reminding them how to smile. I thanked them for all the kindness they had shown me, and with my new trailer, set out to the next town I would do my show in.

“Over the years I spent traveling Equestria, I met new ponies and learned new spells. The shows I put on were loved by everypony, and my pride grew and grew. Unfortunately, after a while, all that pride began to make me boastful, mean, not at all the pony I had been when I had started out. I began to look down on everypony else, I began to tell people of my feats of bravery that never happened at all. I was so confident of myself I began to tell ponies that I had conquered an Ursa Major. That had been the first of my undoings.

“That- and coming to Ponyville.

“When I first arrived in Ponyville it was the same act as usual; tell of my great deeds, perform a few ticks, humiliate those who challenged me, but that all changed thanks to those utter morons Snips and Snails. Those idiots thought it would be a good idea to find an Ursa Major and bring it back to Ponyville for me to ‘vanquish.’ They weren’t able to find an Ursa Major, thank Celestia, but they did manage to bring back a cranky Ursa Minor. When they knocked on my door and asked me to defeat it, I knew I couldn’t stop it, and while I did try, I had no choice but to admit to my lies. If it weren’t for Twilight Sparkle coming in and calming it down, it probably would have destroyed the entire town. Unfortunately, that left me without face and having to run away before the town came after me.

“I continued to do my show in other towns after that, but my mind always returned to angry thoughts of Ponyville and, more precisely, Twilight Sparkle. I couldn’t stop thinking about how she had humiliated me and how much I wanted revenge. Soon I came across the answer to my desires.
“The Alicorn Amulet.

“An amulet of such great magical power it could increase a unicorn’s magical abilities enough that they could match even one of the Alicorn Sisters. After acquiring this talisman, I returned to Ponyville to seek my revenge. I challenged Sparkle to a magic duel, and with my increased powers, I won with ease. However, the amulet began to take control of my mind, turning me into something... evil. I kicked Sparkle out of ponyville, trapped and enslaved everypony, and even removed Pinkie Pie’s mouth. I would have kept at it if it weren’t for Sparkle’s quick thinking to trick me into taking the amulet off. After that, I apologised to Twilight Sparkle and left Ponyville...”


“Only to return today to find my twin brother, who for some reason is not a pony right now, hanging out with the rest of you,” Trixie said as she finished her story.

“Wait.” said Alex, taking a sip from his glass of chocolate milk. “You used a spell that removed Pinkie’s mouth? That’s very unkind of you Trix.” Leaning closer to his sister, he mouthed, Please teach me that spell.

“Teach you? What? And where the heck did you get that chocolate milk?”

“Dunno. Just got thirsty for a sec and next thing you know I’ve got a glass of chocolate milk,” Alex replied, taking another sip. “Man, that’s good.”

“Chocolate milk?” exclaimed Twilight. “Wait- does that mean all draconaqi like chocolate milk and not just Discord?”
Alex shrugged.

Trixie had a look of confusion on her face. “Draconaqi? Discord? What the tartarus are you talking about?”

“Oh right, I haven’t shown you yet,” Alex said to Trixie, grinning. “Check this out. It’s pretty cool.”

Alex focused his magic as he was surrounded by his dark purple magic aura. Slowly, Alex began to morph and grow until he had to hunch over his sister, as the trailer was a bit too small for his height in full Draconequus form. Alex waved his eagle talon to his sister, giving her a dragon-toothed grin. Trixie just stared up at him, mouth gaping and eyes bugging out.

“Like I said, pretty cool, huh?” Alex said to Trixie once he was comfortably back in human form.

“Wha- but- how- huh?” said Trixie, at a total loss for words.

“Isn’t it neat!” said Pinkie jumping, literally, into the conversation. “The Princesses said that Alex is half Draconequus and that one of his parents was a Draconequus and that Alex has chaos magic and they asked us to help him learn to use it and he already knows a whole lotta stuff like shapeshifting and flying and magic combat and all sorts of other neat stuff, and he’s only been at it for a few weeks!”

Despite the fact that Pinkie had said all that in one breath, the pink mare seemed absolutely unaffected. Trixie, on the other hand, was all too affected, as shown by the bitterness in her stare, which was for some reason directed at her brother.

“Of- course.” Trixie said, not a single hint of kindness in her voice. “Of- freaking- course.”

She stared up at Alex, who was beginning to feel like this was something that was not going to end well. Everypony else just stared at the two in silence as Trixie continued.

“I get dragged here through some vortex, get turned into a unicorn, and spend years learning magic, and then suddenly my twin brother shows up, and not only masters magic in only a few weeks and stays human, but he’s also a spirit of chaos with more power in his pinkie finger than I have in my whole body. OF- FREAKING- COURSE! I can’t have anything, can I? Whose always been more likable? You. Whose always been more athletic? You. Heck, which twin was born first? That would be, uh, you. I finally have something that I could do better, something I actually like and who comes in to prove me second best yet again? You. You, you, you, you, you, you, YOU!”

Trixie pointed her hoof in Alex’s face, and Alex was beginning to get a little worried. Alex could practically feel the rage emanating off of the blue unicorn. He knew about how unicorns were able to rage shift whenever they got really mad, and Alex could tell Trixie was pretty close to crossing that line. However, it wasn’t her being angry at him that was worrying him, it was that all that rage was coming from his sister and directed towards him. Alex had thought Trixie would probably be a bit jealous of his powers if she ever got to see them, but he would have expected her to get over it quickly and tell him it was pretty cool, not stare daggers at him until he felt like swiss cheese.

“Now, sis, I think you should calm down-” Alex said, trying to get Trixie to become calm and collected.

“Don’t call me that!” exclaimed Trixie, cutting Alex off. “I am not your sis. I have made a different life here in Equestria. I am Trixie Lulamoon, not Trixie Cooper. I have no brothers, and especially none who always surpass me at whatever I try and make me look bad, or tell me I suck at what I love. Get this into your brain. You. Are. Not. My. Brother!”

As Alex was being told this, he could practically feel his heart breaking. The sister he had loved and cared for his entire life, the one he had sulked over for years after she disappeared, the one who he had finally been reunited with here in Equestria... no longer wanted him to be her brother.

“O-okay,” Alex said sadly. He began to push past his friends, who all looked at him with faces of worry as his own face became a mask of pure sorrow, towards the door. He stopped in front of the door and took off his hat, giving it a good, long look. This hat had meant everything to him. This hat had been a gift from his sister, the person he had cared most for in the world. But now... he had no sister. So what value did it have to him?

Alex stuck his arm out to the side and let it fall to the floor. He left the trailer, followed by the others, leaving Trixie alone with nothing but the hat.


Somewhere dark and empty, a figure gazed at a crystal ball. Despite the fact that the crystal ball glowed with the images being shown on it, it did nothing to penetrate the darkness around it, leaving the figure watching it completely concealed except for a pair of glowing eyes a shade of purple so dark, they almost seemed black. The crystal ball was showing the scene of Alex as he left Trixie’s trailer, the mysterious figure growing a sinister, sharp-toothed smile at the scene playing out before him. He began to speak, his voice deep and rough and cold.

“Ah depression,” he said to himself, a malicious gleam in his eye. “Quite the business opportunity in my line of work. Especially with a business venture like Cooper. It’s like I always say, if your investments prove effective, then this is an opportunity worthy of my time. He managed to deal with the Timberwolves and bears I sent to test him, and he defeated them without the knowledge of the powers he possessed. Now he has chaos on his side, but this delicious dose of depression might be the difference between victory and defeat for poor, sad little Cooper. I think it’s time to give him another test.”

Snapping his unseen fingers, a light came on in front of the evil figure. A shadow slid into the light, and began to stand as it took on the shape of a dragon, roughly the same size as Alex in human form, and stood at attention.

“You, my little Shadow Puppet, are going on a little business trip to Ponyville, all expenses paid. I want you to survey our competition. I will, of course, supply you with the tools needed to secure our business venture.”

The figure rose a taloned claw, made visible by the dark green aura surrounding it. This same dark green aura levitated a long object from the darkness into the outstretched hand of the ‘Shadow Puppet.’ Once in the light, the object could clearly be seen as a spear about the same height as it’s wielder, tipped with a spearhead made of some unknown green stone that, in the concentrated light, gave off an ominous aura.

“Using this you shall test Cooper to see if he is a business venture worthy of my time. And if not, hey, no worries. There are still ways that this trip can be used to our advantage. Have some fun, burn down buildings, hell, even maim a few ponies if you're in the mood. All will work in our favor as long as you're able to spread TERROR.”

Author's Note:

Woah. That was one exciting chapter. :pinkiegasp:

So yeah, I'm back. Sorry it took so long guys. Now that I've got a new co-writer and my old one is back, hopefully we can get those new chapters sooner.

Until then, enjoy the insanity! :pinkiecrazy: