• Published 13th Feb 2013
  • 2,785 Views, 96 Comments

The Human Hero of Ponyville - Alex Rite



Alex Cooper was once a pretty average human teenager at the age of sixteen. He lived as an orphan for most of his life with only his older brother and twin sister to keep him company. After his sister mysteriously disappears, he goes into a depresion

  • ...
57
 96
 2,785

Chapter 5

Chapter 5 Crusaders and Canines (Part 2)


"Uuuuhhh," moaned the diamond dog.

"I think he's waking up," said Scootaloo.

The diamond dog slowly opened his eyes to see the CMC and Alex staring back at him.

"Oy, whatta you lookin' at?" the diamond dog said, with a noticeable Australian accent. The others in the room were surprised by this; not because the diamond dog could talk, but because of how rude it was behaving.

"Hey buddy," said Scoots, "We saved your life! You could at least be a little bit nicer!"

"Did wha-" it said. Then it noticed the bandage on it's arm. It took a quick look around and saw that it was in a room with yellow walls, with a table and chairs in one corner.

"Erm... my apologies," it said. "I was surprised ta see a bunch of ponies and a... thing... standin' in front of me."

"Well, I 'spose that's all right," said Applebloom. "I'm Applebloom, it's nice ta meetcha."

"The names Scootaloo," said Scoots.

"Sweetie Belle," said Sweetie.

"Cooper. Alex Cooper," said Alex, "and your name would be?"

The diamond dog began to laugh. "Name," he said, "I don't have a name! No diamond dog does!"

"Well for the moment you aren't among diamond dogs," said Alex, "So you need a name. You have gray fur, so how about Smokey?"

"Fine then. Smokey it is," the diamond dog said. "Now how long will I be here in this place?"

"A few days," said Scootaloo.

"You can't really go far on that broken leg," added Sweetie Belle.

"Huh, alrighty then," Smokey said. "I guess I might as well get used to it. Any chance you mates could get me a book or two?"

"Sure," Alex said. "Luckily for you, I live at the library here in Ponyville. I can grab some books and some food for you at the same time."

"Ah didn't know diamond dogs could read," Applebloom said.

"Most can't," replied Smokey, "Far as I know, I'm the only one. I never much liked digging like the other diamond dogs. I used to sneak around the schools, which is how I learned. Got kicked outta my pack for always reading instead of digging gems."

At hearing this, the others were shocked and felt very sorry for him. They all enjoyed reading (I mean who doesn't?), but they had never thought of what it would be like to be shunned for reading. As they left, Alex had an idea of how to make Smokey feel welcome. As he explained his idea to the three young fillies, they agreed that it was a good idea.


The next morning, Alex got up and made breakfast again. After that first breakfast he made, Twilight insisted that Alex make their meals each day, and Alex was happy to do so. After finishing his meal, Alex went to grab some books for Smokey. He grabbed some books titled 'Darring Do" just as Twilight came down the stairs.

"What are you doing with all those books?" Twilight asked.

Alex knew that he unfortunately couldn't tell Twilight about Smokey, given her past experience with diamond dogs, and said, "I'm just taking these books to, uh, the Crusaders. Yeah! The Crusaders. They wanted to see if they could get their cutie marks in, um, public reading, or something."

Even though it wasn't a very good lie, Twilight bought it and said, "Alright. Just remind them to return those books in five days."

"Okay. Will do. Gotta go. Bye," Alex said quickly, rushing out the door. Twilight stood there for a second, confused. She shrugged it off and went to eat her breakfast.


Alex met the CMC outside the clubhouse where they were waiting for him.

"Okay, I got the books," he said, "You guys got the other stuff?"

The three fillies nodded holding out two different boxes.

"Good. Smokey is gonna be so surprised," he said, giggling a little. Oh man, Alex thought, I sounded like Pinkie for a second there. Scary.

As they entered the clubhouse, they found Smokey asleep on the floor. He was snoring peacefully, his leg twitching in the air. It was so cute, they almost didn't want to wake him up. Almost.

"SURPRISE," the four shouted.

"Huh? What?" Smokey said as he jumped up in fright. Seeing it was only Alex and the girls, he relaxed a bit and said, "Whats up you guys?"

"Well, since you were kicked out of your old pack, we thought a party would make you feel better," explained Sweetie.

"Consider it a sort of, 'Welcome to your New Pack,' thing," continued Alex as he set the books down on the nearby table. Scootaloo opened one of the boxes to reveal a cake that said 'Welcome Smokey' on it. Smokey didn't know what to say.

"Well... thanks guys," he finally said.

"That's not all, though," said Applebloom, handing him the other box. Smokey opened it to find a red collar with his new name on it. He had a huge smile as he put it on.

"Thanks," Smokey said, "You guys are the best."

"Don't mention it," said Alex, "After all, this is what friends do for other friends."

"Yeah. Friends," said Smokey as they all began to eat the cake.

A few days later, after Smokey's leg was healed, he, Alex, and the CMC played outside the clubhouse together. Having nowhere to go, Smokey had told his friends that he was going to stay with them, especially since Alex kept bringing him books to read. They loved that idea. On that day, they were all having such a good time together. So much so, in fact, that they didn't see a certain tiara wearing pink filly sneaking around, watching them.

Nor did they see the evil grin she had at the thoughts she had of getting back at the three fillies and, especially, the human.