• Published 13th Feb 2013
  • 2,785 Views, 96 Comments

The Human Hero of Ponyville - Alex Rite



Alex Cooper was once a pretty average human teenager at the age of sixteen. He lived as an orphan for most of his life with only his older brother and twin sister to keep him company. After his sister mysteriously disappears, he goes into a depresion

  • ...
57
 96
 2,785

Chapter 10

Chapter 10 Draconaquus 101

It's a normal morning like every other in Ponyville. On this morning Alex Cooper was peacefully sleeping in his bed, Smokey lying by the side of it. Twilight came in with a frown on her face, mad that Alex hadn't woken up yet.

"Alex! Wake up!" yelled Twilight.

Alex jumped out of bed with a start. Smokey jumped too, landing right next to him.

"Oy! What's all this then?" asked Smokey. Alex was wondering the same thing.

"Today is the first day of your training, Alex," said Twilight. "Remember?"

Alex did remember. Yesterday he had met the princesses of Equestria, and after many... awkward... situations, it was discovered that he was half draconaquus. Princess Celestia had given him, Twilight, and the others the task of training Alex to use his powers. In other words, today was the first day of draconaquus school. Unfortunately, Alex really hated school.

Alex got out of bed, grabbed his blue cap, and walked drowsily towards the kitchen. As soon as he entered the kitchen, Alex noticed an unfamiliar but delicious smell. Alex looked over to where Spike was sitting, munching on some jewels. He was confused at first, but he began to wonder if this had something to do with his draconaquus nature.

"Hey Spike," Alex said, catching the attention of the baby dragon. "Do you mind if I maybe... try one of those jems?"

Spike shrugged and handed Alex a ruby. As Alex took a bite of the ruby, a single fang sprung out of his mouth. He was surprised at how easy it was to chew the ruby, and also at how delicious it tasted. Alex finished it in a few more bites, and when he was done his fang disappeared.

"So you can get dragon teeth without completely changing into a draconaquus," observed Twilight, writing it down on a clipboard. "That's very interesting to know."

Alex, feeling full, said, "Well I guess we already learned something. What's next on the agenda?"

Twilight and Alex were standing outside the library, preparing for his next lesson. All the ponies who past stared at Alex, some with interest and others with disgust. Well, I guess that comes with being the same species as Equestria's most feared psychopath, thought Alex.

"Okay Alex," said Twilight, getting the half-breed's attention. "We're going to start your magic training off with a simple transformation spell. You see that rock?" Twilight pointed to a large rock a few feet away. "I want you to change it into a vase. All you have to do is concentrate, understand?"

Alex understood, and began to concentrate on the rock. He imagined where the rock was and imagined a vase in it's place. Alex pointed his left hand at the rock, focusing on nothing but the rock. Alex could feel power building up through his arm to his hand. His armed turned into an eagle talon and his hand began to glow a dark purple. Twilight, Spike, and Smokey watched Alex with intense looks. Alex's eagle talon glowed brighter, and the rock began to glow the same color. The rock flashed brightly, and when the light cleared, It had been transformed...

...into a bowling pin.

"Aw, what?" exclaimed Alex, frustrated at his failure. His arm changed back to normal.

"It's okay Alex," said Twilight. "It takes time and practice to master magic. Although, I must admit you did better than I did the first time I tried that spell. I couldn't change it into anything that resembled a vase."

Alex smiled a bit, thankful for Twilight's encouragement, and asked what they were going to try next.


"Alright rookie, listen up and listen good," shouted Rainbowdash. She was here to help Alex learn how to use his wings. While he didn't exactly like being yelled at, Rainbowdash was most likely a better flight instructor than Fluttershy. "Now that your a draconaquus-"

"A 'handsome' draconaquus," Alex interrupted smugly.

"You're never gonna let me live that down are you?" replied Rainbowdash before she continued her speech. "It takes more than just flapping your wings to fly, you gotta put your heart into it! Understand?"

Alex nodded and began to concentrate on his wings, trying to get them out in his human form. After what he had done so far today, it was relatively easy to bring out his wings. The bat and bird wing were much bigger in Alex's human form than in his draconaquus form; most likely because he was heavier as a human. Following Dash's instructions, Alex was able to get off the ground and do a few laps around some clouds. After a while, Alex started to get a little daring, starting to do tricks he had watched Rainbowdash practice. After a few fast loops and flips, he carefully landed in front of Dash, whose mouth was opened in shock.

"Wow. You're a fast learner," said Rainbowdash.

"Eh. I try," said Alex.


Next was the part of the day Alex had been looking forward to all day: combat practice.

"Okay Alex, your draconaquus blood should have increased your physical abilities," said Twilight as she prepped the training dummies. "Also, I believe I can teach you some defensive and offensive spells. Lets start of with something offensive. Try to build up your magic, and the release it on the dummies."

"But I don't want to hurt Spike," said Alex, a grin spreading on his face.

"Ha ha. good one. Just start already," said Spike, a little aggravated.

Alex sighed and began doing what Twilight had said. Alex charged up his energy, his arms transforming into a lion paw and eagle talon. Each one glowed with his dark purple aura. Alex then released the power, shooting two dark purple auras at the dummies, leaving scorch marks.

"Good," said Twilight. "Keep practicing."

Alex kept practicing this ability and it's use began to improve. After an hour or two Alex was able to charge up and fire quicker, and he had very good aim while moving. Twilight then demonstrated how to create a shield, and Alex copied perfectly. Alex then began to practice hand-to-hand combat, just in case enemies got in close. If only my siblings could see me now, thought Alex. After practicing, Alex saw Spike trying to copy some of his fighting moves, and he was actually pretty good.

"Wow Spike, never thought I'd see someone your age so good at fighting," Alex said, before realizing he didn't actually know Spike's age. "How old are you anyways?"

"Let's see. With the last birthday I had a few months ago, I'd say I'm about fifteen."

"What? You're kidding!"

"Nope. Twilight's about four years older than me, so she's nineteen."

"Really? well then how old are the others?"

"Well Applejack is eighteen. Pinkie Pie and Rarity are around seventeen. And I'm pretty sure Rainbowdash and Fluttershy are in the vicinity of sixteen."

Wow, learned two new things today, thought Alex. Rainbowdash and I are the same age, and Pinkie doesn't act anywhere near her's. Alex then got an idea. "Hey Spike, since I'm gonna be the hero around here, I'm gonna need a sidekick. How'd you like the job?"

"I don't know. Sounds kinda dangerous," Spike said unsure.

"Girls love sidekicks," Alex said bluntly.

"I'm in!" said Spike.

"Why do I have a bad feeling about this?" asked Twilight.


It was soon dark, and after a hard day of training, Alex, Twilight, Smokey, and Spike went back to the library.

"It's been a long day guys," said Alex, exhausted.

"Yeah, and we've got another one tomorrow," said Twilight. "Good night guys."

And with that, everyone went to sleep. As Alex lay down in bed, he couldn't help thinking about his siblings. I'm sure they would have liked it here. Sam is so smart, I'm sure he and Twilight would have a lot in common. And I'm positive the girls would have loved my sister, especially since we're twins. Ha. I'm sure she'd be so jealous of my powers. I really wish she was here. As Alex's thoughts wandered to the good times he had had with his sister, he fell asleep with a smile on his face.