• Published 9th Feb 2013
  • 5,805 Views, 131 Comments

I'm Getting Underpaid For This - Warmaisach



We all know our beloved dragon, Spike. He is kind, helpful and never complains about unfair working conditions. What if all this were reversed? What if he is a cynical and sarcastic flank-hole? Let's watch him change this.

  • ...
9
 131
 5,805

Arc 1: 4 - Changes

„Have you seen a little purple baby dragon?“ Shouted Twilight into the face of a red stallion with a blue mane. His head was leaning back because Twilight’s own head was uncomfortably close. He always hated it when ponies came too close to his perfectly styled mane. What did that unicorn say again? Oh right, she wanted to know something about a purple lizard.

He smoothly answered the mare with a nervous shake of his head. Oh yes, he knew how to get the ladies. Twilight saw this and only groaned. Deciding that he probably won’t be able to help her, she ran at the next pony. “Have you seen a little purple baby dragon?” This time, she spoke to a blue pegasus with stylish glasses. Damn, those glasses looked stylish. The blue pegasus mare only groaned and answered.

“You asked this two times already, and I’ll say this again! No, I have not seen that purple lizard… thing!” That mare certainly had one bad temper, which could be heard in her voice. Twilight instantly turned around and ran to the next pony. She had better things to do than to receive a spit attack by a disgruntled pegasus.

“Have you seen a little purple baby dragon?” She asked the red stallion with a blue mane, who replied with a raised eyebrow and a nervous glance to his right. After this, he hectically shifted his gaze to the other side. Twilight simply continued looking into his face as if she tried to count every atom on it.

“Strange, I could swear you just asked me that. Is this what somepony calls a Déjà vu?” Suddenly, he grabbed his head with his two front hooves. His flank, with a cutie mark of two masks, one smiling and one frowning, began shaking violently. Since his fore hooves were not touching the ground anymore, the gravitation of Equus did its thing and pulled him down, making a loud thunk-like noise.

“I’m going crazy! They told me I won’t go crazy! They told me that I am healthy. They told me I am special!” His hind legs buckled down, and he now laid sprawled out on the floor. Suddenly, he screamed and turned his body, so he now laid on his side. Shuffling his hind legs in a crazed manner, he pushed his lower body forward while the upper one was stationary on the floor. He looked like some sort of slow gyroscope.

While cleaning the floor with his body, the red stallion began laughing uncontrollably like a madpony. Sometimes, he interrupted his laughing fit with an anguished scream of pain. The other ponies watched him with horror and discomfort while Twilight didn’t seem to react at all. Deciding that this pony would not help her in finding Spike, she turned around and bolted into another direction.

The group of six friends searched for Spike the whole last day, unsuccessful. After some hours into the search, Twilight began to feel the pain of regret. What did she do to drive him away? This was the question she asked herself the whole day until she went to sleep. Slowly during the end of the day, she began wishing him back as if some divine deity would come down and grant her this wish. Sadly, the deity never answered.

In the evening, she also wrote a letter to the princess and sent it via pegasus express to her. This meant that the letter should arrive tomorrow at Princess Celestia’s desk. When she woke up today, and saw the mess in the library again, she tried to distract herself of the longing after her son/brother/friend/slave/pet Spike by reshelving the whole library… again.

After two hours of reshelving, she slowly began to realize what Spike has been put through. The library in Canterlot was around three times as big as this tiny one here in Ponyville. He also didn’t have any magic, meaning that he would have to work even harder. Every single day of the week, he was put through this, and when he was finished, he had to assist her in studying.

How could she have been so stupid? She loved Spike, and she will always love him! Yet, she also realized that she never showed it to him. She thought that Spike always knew that he was the most important… being… to her, apart from the princess maybe. And her parents. And her brother. And her old foalsitter. And Bob from accounting, but everypony loved Bob from accounting. Ok, maybe he wasn’t the most important one, but she still loved him very much… probably.

Twilight was running through the streets of Ponyville for three hours now, asking every single pony she saw about a little purple baby dragon. She was lucky that only three ponies sent the royal guards after her, but she still hadn’t found Spike. Suddenly, she stopped in her run.

“Maybe Spike isn’t in Ponyville anymore?” She asked herself and looked down at the floor. “But where could he be then?” Slowly, she looked up at the horizon and turned her head until she saw Canterlot. “Maybe he went to Canterlot?” Twilight asked herself while having a contemplating look in her eyes. If he truly went to Canterlot, she could wait for a reply from Princess Celestia. There was no doubt that once the princess read the letter, she would send out a search team. It would probably sweep the entirety of Canterlot in order to find the escaped purple dragon.

Turning her head further, she saw a large mountain at the horizon. She knew that mountain through a legend. Legend has it that, at some point in history, there once was a humongous black dragon living up there. The dragon helped the ponies build a civilization around his mountain, and even gave them some tea.

One fateful day, a brown earth pony walked up to the dragon. The brown earth pony started screaming and shouting at the dragon with words of a different language. At the beginning, the dragon thought that the pony would eventually stop, but this was never the case. After several days of the pony shouting senseless crap at him, the dragon couldn’t take it anymore. He inhaled deeply and packed up his things. He took this whole hoard and flew away from the land, not wanting to get annoyed by the pony anymore.

The madpony then got arrested and judged for unlawful entry and had to pay a fee of 50 bits. The stallion then lived for the rest of his live in the old cave of the dragon, awaiting its return so he can annoy it more. The dragon never came back, and the pony died after several years. It is said that the annoying shouting of the pony can still be heard to this day. The mountain was then dubbed after a particular annoying shout of the pony.

“Mount Hoofroda,” Twilight slowly and silently spoke to herself. She knew how much Spike “liked” to read, and she was most certain that he also knew of this legend. Maybe, he tried to go after the legend and try to get more knowledge about other dragons? It would certainly be worth a try.

Twilight practically asked every single pony on the street, and she also was not the only one searching. All her friends were also searching like crazy with their own kinds of searching methods. Rainbow Dash flew all over the village, trying to talk to every pegasus in the sky if they had seen Spike. Well, that’s at least what she said. In reality, she just slept on some clouds.

Fluttershy asked her dear deer friends, and all the other animals. Rarity asked her snobbish contacts if they knew something about a dragon disturbance in some of their cities. She always met them in their weekly get togethers. Or, that’s at least what would happen if she ever got invited to one of them before. A young mare with ambitions can dream, can’t she?

Applejack asked her whole family and all the other farmers she knew. She really hoped that they lost some of their harvest to the potentially hungry dragon since this would give her a hint to his whereabouts. For the other farmers, who were not part of her family, she hoped that they lose their harvest either way since that would give Sweet Apple Acres more chances in expanding outwards. The day will come when the apples will have the monopole over the food resources of the whole world. Just all of you wait…

Pinkie Pie asked everything she could talk to, including the campylobacter germ, her cupcake baking form, a tree, and the voice in her head. Sadly, none of them were able to give an answer that did not involve food poisoning, baking cupcakes, photosynthesis, and suggestions for something that will get punished with a sentence of not less than five years of jail. Pinke apologized for the vague information she received from her, so called, informants.

Twilight was deeply thankful for all the effort that her friends put into searching for Spike. What would she do without them? After a short while where she felt deeply touched by the warm feeling of having good friends, she decided to call it a day. With a slow trot, she walked to her home, hoping that they could find Spike tomorrow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I truly slept great. The ground was as comfortable as a stone with spikes. I had to scratch myself the whole night. There also were some downright strange nightmares. Somewhere in the forest, some Woodies howled through the whole night. Yep, my sleep was extremely refreshing. Oh, and on top of that, I didn’t drink anything before going to sleep, and I felt thirsty the whole night. Yet, my laziness was even bigger. I mean, I could always search for a stream when I wake up. Laziness is something genuinely evil.

Slowly, I decided to open my eyes, but I closed them instantly again since the assault of blue, from those flowers, was just too bright this early in the morning. Those damn flowers seem quite strange. What do they even do? They’re just… plants. Why don’t they move like those Woodies? What is their purpose in staying stationary on the ground, photosynthesizing as much water into sugar as possible?

Shaking my head, I banished my strange thinking pattern. Whenever I am tired, I start thinking random crap. Like, why do chickens have feathers if they can’t fly, or why do gems look so beautiful even though nopony sees them in the ground? Of course, I know the answer to both questions, but in my sleep-drunken state, I somehow forget them and begin to contemplate about the most senseless stuff I can imagine.

Slowly, I stood up and groggily looked around the forest. No animals. I’m lucky. Just then, my stomach showed me that it still wanted something by growling at me. It either insulted my whole race, or just wanted some water and food. I personally think it did both. With a shrug, I just started walking in a random direction. What was I supposed to do? Transform myself into a biologically functional body without need for a stomach?

I started thinking about Twilight and the other ponies in Ponyville while walking along my way. Was it the right decision to leave? After contemplating this thought for a long time, I decided that it probably was the right choice. In Ponyville, I would have just been treated like an outcast. There was nopony like me. A change had to happen, and I know that I will find a village somewhere to where I will belong. Maybe there is a village out there with dragons just like me. Maybe I can live there. Maybe I will find friends. Somewhere out there, I will find a place, to belong. Even if it takes me my whole life.

My thoughts got interrupted, when I suddenly lost my footing and fell into a stream. Abrupt wasn’t it? However, I was just laying down at the shallow stream with my face being underwater, when I decided that it probably was a good idea to get out of the river and maybe get some air. We don’t want to drown in a 30 centimeter deep river now, do we? Wait, can rivers that aren’t even half a meter deep, even be called rivers?

Just when I took my head out of the water, I realized that I stood in water. I mean realized as in, I just found out that my problems with my thirst have just been solved. Water. Finally! Smashing my head instantly back into the water surface, I began to drink like a dehydrated bunny in an oasis. What would bunnies even do in deserts? Presumably nothing, considering that there are no bunnies in deserts… probably.

After several seconds, I lifted my head out of the water again, inhaling deep breathes of air. With a happy look on my face, I looked up at the beautiful sky and was just happy to be alive. Sadly, the happy moment didn’t last long. It seemed like I drank too much water. My stomach tried to complain, but all it could do was slosh around.

Groaning lightly, I turned my head downwards again. Oh this certainly was way too much. With closed eyes, I just started putting my arms around my tummy, making a futile attempt to block out the uncomfortable sensation. After a painful while, I opened my eyes again and looked at the water surface. I bet I looked pretty beat. What I saw was something I haven’t anticipated.

I didn’t look beat. In fact, I didn’t see me at all. In the water, I saw a pink female dragon. Where did she come from? I turned around to search for the pink dragon, but I didn’t see anyone. Turning my head around like I was in panic, I decided to look back into the water. There she was again. A pink female dragon. How I was able to discern a male and a female dragon so quickly even though I never saw one in my age, you ask? Because the dragon looked slim and pink, that’s why. This was like the most female look that was even physically possible.

Pink and slim, with huge eyelashes. Oh Celestia, those eyelashes were humongous. She could create a tornado if she blinked quickly enough. In the place where I had those green fins, she had yellow ones. Wow, she actually looked beautiful, even though a little girly. Yet, the interesting question was, why couldn’t I find her? Wait, maybe she was underwater? I slowly reached one of my claws out to the water, and she did the same… something definitely was not right here.

When I touched the water, my claw passed through it without any hindrance. I didn’t feel anything except the floor 30 centimeter later. This was bad. This was really bad. If she was nowhere on land, and nowhere in the water, this could only mean one thing. Instantly, I put my hands up to my eyes and felt around my eyelids. I could feel humongous eyelashes. Fear grabbed my heart, and I touched the spot between my legs. My eyes immediately widened and then the forest heard the most girly scream in existence.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight panted heavily after a full day of searching for Spike. “Did you find him?” She asked the orange cowpony that stood before her, with a panicked expression. Applejack simply looked down at the floor and slowly shook her head. Twilight felt like somepony punched her in the gut. She only hoped that another of her friends found a trace of him.

Just when she thought about this, a certain white unicorn came striding down the street, wearing a new blue hat. Seeing one of her other friends coming into her direction, Twilight ran over to Rarity. With lowered ears and a worried face, she asked her the same question.

“Did you find him?”

Rarity first had to get back her composure, that she lost when Twilight nearly jumped into her face. When she got it back, she had to think for a little. Find who? Oh right, Twilight’s assistant. Instantly changing her expression into a disappointing frown, she answered Twilight. “My sincerest apologies Twilight, but I couldn’t find a trace of our beloved dragon.” Beloved dragon, my flank. She didn’t even know him for three days and hasn’t even put a slight effort in finding him.

Twilight felt another sting of pain in her gut. She lowered her head and walked back to Applejack, Rarity following behind. With a sigh, she slumped down. “What have I done?” She uttered silently with tears forming in her eyes. She loved Spike like a brother. He was always there for her and always gave her company when she was lonely.

When Twilight was studying the whole day in Canterlot, she thought she was happy, but deep inside of her, she always felt a nagging feeling. She never knew why this feeling was there, but it seemed to have been her only hindrance to true happiness. Of course, she felt incredible when she learned something completely new, but somehow, this feeling always reminded her that there was more to life, than just some books.

But whenever she came home and saw Spike, those feelings seemed to disappear, and she felt better again. Twilight didn’t know until now what these feelings meant. She always thought that they were just the happiness she felt when she could finally study, whatever she wanted, in her own private rooms. The feeling of freedom to do whatever she wanted. Yesterday, when she came home, she wasn’t greeted by this feeling of freedom, but the nagging feeling inside her that lurked in the shadows.

It was then that she understood what this feeling meant. Loneliness. She had friends now, but friends do not give one the feeling of belonging. The feeling to have somepony always by your side. The feeling of a family. And she lost her family when she shouted at Spike to go away. Yes, she still had her brother and parents, but she rarely saw them.

Suddenly, Twilight broke down and began to sob uncontrollably. “What have I done?” She always repeated as if this would bring her family back. Applejack and Rarity looked at each other and shared an uncertain expression. After a while, they came to Twilight and laid some comforting hooves on her.

Rarity and Applejack suddenly both felt terrible. They should have searched for Spike, and they also should have been there for their friend. Their friend, Twilight, came to them and asked them to search for her dragon, yet they both only bucked apples or sowed dresses. Another mare landed near them, but before she could say anything, she saw the crying mess that was Twilight.

Rainbow Dash also walked over to her, and with dropped ears she sat beside their friend. Rainbow talked and teased a lot, but she also knew when it would be better to stay silent. Twilight, realizing that a certain cyan mare was now present, looked up into the eyes of Rainbow Dash. The only thing she saw was an apologetic look. Rainbow Dash didn’t find him either. How could she? She was sleeping the whole day. After a short while, Dash only crossed her fore hooves and looked uncomfortable to the side, which brought Twilight back to sobbing.

There was little hope left in finding Spike. The only two ponies that still haven’t come back were Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie. Just when Twilight thought about Fluttershy, she heard frantic hoof steps from her left, and her ears perked up. Raising her head, she turned to the direction the noise was coming from. There, she saw a yellow pegasus running to her with a dear by her side.

Fluttershy arrived, and before she could say anything she began to inhale deeply due to her fatigue. Twilight wasn’t sure about the reason, why Fluttershy didn’t simply fly to her if she was this exhausted, but this was irrelevant right now. After a short while of inhaling and exhaling, Fluttershy raised her head and looked into Twilight’s eyes.

“My dear deer Doctor Daniel Deer saw Spike!” Fluttershy said in one breath. Twilight couldn’t believe what she just heard. Well, it took a while to register what Fluttershy said, due to all those “D”s in there, but she understood what Fluttershy meant. He saw Spike? Maybe there was still some hope left.

Twilight instantly stood up and ran over to Fluttershy. “Where is he?” She asked in a frantic voice, accompanied by a worried expression and raised ears. Fluttershy turned to the deer.

“Where did you see him?” Fluttershy asked the deer with a warm voice. The deer seemed to utter some strange noises in some complex patterns, and after he finished Fluttershy gasped and put her two front hooves to her mouth. Her friends, obviously, noticed this and felt that this gasp couldn’t mean any good. Fluttershy averted her gaze from her friends and looked sideways to the floor.

After some short seconds, Twilight walked forward and put a comforting hoof on one of Fluttershy’s shoulders. “Is there something wrong with him?” Fluttershy shook her head and inhaled and exhaled deeply. After a short while, she turned to Twilight but didn’t look her in the eyes.

“As far as Doctor Daniel Deer said, he seemed to be alright,” she slowly answered with a quiet voice. The ponies seemed to let loose a sigh of relief, but Fluttershy wasn’t finished. “Girls,” she said with a somewhat louder voice. Her friends looked back at her expectantly. After another sigh, she finally said what the deer told her. “He said, he has seen Spike while h-he walked into the E-E-Everfree F-Forest.”

Fluttershy could have screamed at them, and it wouldn’t have been less shocking than saying this in a quiet and timid voice. The guts of all the gathered ponies twisted, and they felt like they would never want to eat anything again, for the rest of their lives. The Everfree Forest? The most dangerous place imaginable? Well, except for a volcano, the sun, the moon, a dragon-cave, a high mountain, Pinkie’s head, Fluttershy’s shed, and everything outside of Equestria.

Speaking of Pinkie, where was she?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Answer me!” Pinkie practically shouted at her victim. “Where is he? Where have you put him?” Still no answer. “I know that you are behind this, and I will not stop questioning you until you finally confess!” Turning the lamp more into the face of the one she interrogated.

The interrogated one didn’t flinch. He didn’t even move, except that he looked at Pinkie with a cold stare. He was frozen under the aggression of the pink party pony. An answer was never heard from him. After some seconds, Pinkie sighed and turned around. She walked for some meters with a thinking expression, turned around, and continued walking back to the table.

Suddenly, she slammed her fore hooves on the table and screamed atop of her lungs. “WHERE IS SPIKE?!” Some windows of the basement broke due to the strength of her voice and a small tremor could be felt. Ponies outside of Sugar Cube Corner immediately stopped going after their everyday business, and wondered where this loud scream came from.

Inside of the basement, the furniture began to calm down from the onslaught of sonic waves and went back into their unmoving state. The interrogated one didn’t even flinch. After several seconds of not getting an answer, Pinkie sighed and began to go down on her knees.

“Please, I need to know where he is. Twilight is counting on me. I need to find him,” she begged him, but she never received an answer from the fridge. The fridge was giving her the cold shoulder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After some time, the friends finally calmed down and came up with a plan. They would all go into the forest and search for Spike. As you heard, this plan was extremely complex. They all went home and returned with multiple packages of food and everything a pony needs for camping. They would find Spike, even if it meant they would die in the process. Well, maybe wouldn’t go this far. There were more important things than Spike, but they would still give it their all to find him.

“Are ya’ll sure ya want to do that, sugarcube?” Applejack asked Twilight with an unsure gaze. Twilight sighed and looked into Applejack’s eyes.

“I need to do this. I was the one who drove Spike away, and I need to be the pony to make this right again,” she explained with determination showing in her voice. Twilight turned to the rest of her friends. “You do not need to follow me. It was my fault alone that he ran away.”

Her friends looked into each other’s eyes and after a short while, began smiling at Twilight. Rarity walked forward. “Darling, we wouldn’t want it any other way.” Twilight wanted to say something. “Not another word. It is our pleasure to help you.”

“Yeah, we’ll find Spike in a jiffy and kick some flank while we’re at it!” Rainbow Dash shouted while flying some relaxed circles in the air as if she was swimming in a lake, belly up.

“There’s no darn way, we let ya’ll go alone into something like the Everfree Forest,” Applejack said while looking at Twilight with a reassuring gaze.

“Wheee! Imagine all the stuff we will see. All the animals we will meet. Do animals like parties? Of course, they like parties. Why wouldn’t they like them? Only plant-life and protozoa wouldn’t be able to like parties since they are not able to think in a psychological relatable pattern. Oh, I bet they like cupcakes. And also…” While Pinkie continued to exclaim her random stuff, her friends were looking at her as if she just had grown a fifth hoof. Did she just say the words “protozoa” and “psychological relatable pattern”?

Shaking their heads at Pinkie’s antics, everypony waited for Fluttershy to say something. The mare in question, only looked around her friends, realizing that they wanted something from her. Slowly, she put a hoof to her chest as if she asked “me?”.Her friends nodded, and Fluttershy began to lower her head a little as if she didn’t want to get hit by a low branch. She looked down and began to draw small circles in the dirt.

“Well… uhm… actually…” She looked at the hopeful faces of her friends, and sighed in defeat. “I think I can accompany you.” Rainbow shot up and pulled her hoof back in a position of joy.

“Oh yeah. We’re going on an adventure. Can somepony say ‘Awesome’?” While her friends were talking among each other, Twilight just sat at the ground. How could she have lived her life without her them? They only knew each other for three or four days, but it already seemed like they knew each other for their whole life.

With newfound determination and bags full of supplies, they started their journey to find Spike. Every pony was motivated except for Pinkie. She still felt a slight chill. The icy stare of the fridge was still fresh in her mind, and the cold rejection on top of it, did not help either. Yet, this would not stand in their way. Together, they trotted into the Everfree Forest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breathe. You need to breathe Spike. Yes, you are a pink and female dragon, but that does not mean that you should jump off a cliff now. Calm down. Well, that was what I told myself for about several hours. Several hours you ask? Yes, I was this shocked. I mean, you don’t wake up every day with the looks to win a beauty contest. Even less, if you are male.

With the impossible amounts of “booky” knowledge in my brain, I came up with an ingenious plan. Going down the river, I decided to wash myself until I was male again. Yes, there was absolutely nothing that could go wrong here.

After a long time of scrubbing, I began to doubt my plan. Somehow, I wasn’t able to clean the fillyshness off of my scales. Why wasn’t it working? There had to be something on my scales that made me look female, so why isn’t it washing off? Dragons don’t just turn female while they sleep, do they? I mean, this goes against every kind of logical thought.

Yet, I didn’t know anything about dragons. It could be possible that they would turn into buckets of peanut butter overnight, and I wouldn’t know. There were just no books on dragons in the library, and talking to a real life exemplar is well… hard. I stopped scrubbing after some minutes and just let my arms hang down my now slender and elegant form. Instead of the athletic form of a penguin, of which I was quite proud off, I now had the form of some kind of lizard.

Instead of the somewhat round tummy, I didn’t seem to have a tummy at all. Yes, of course I still had one, but it just didn’t seem that way. I think I also was slightly bigger, but not much. Maybe not even a hoofstride (10 centimeter). My front body and my fins were yellow instead of green, and my scales were pink. Yes, pink. The manliest color on Equus.

Something happened that night. One does not simply wake up as a female. Let’s see… what did I do that could lead to this? The berries I ate would have turned me into a female the night before this one. The animals never really touched me, except for that hugging Woody. I still had to shudder at that thought. The apples seemed normal. The plants, in which I slept, also didn’t look special. I mean, plants. What do they even do?

Suddenly, my eyes widened. That stinky stinky-fruit! It had to be that stinky fruit. Maybe it turned me into a female? Yes, it had to be that one. I haven’t done anything else that seemed notable.

“I need to do something against this,” I said in the highest pitched voice I ever heard. Oh Celestia, as if the body wasn’t enough. “But what can I do about that?” After several seconds of pondering, I finally came up with a reasonable idea. I need to find help. Somepony had to know what those fruits do. That pony should also know something about a potential remedy to this. Maybe I will also get some info about a place where I might find some dragons? Yet, there still was one small problem.

“Where the buck am I?”

Author's Note:

One does not simply find all the puns with the fridge in Pinkie's part, without knowing she is talking to a fridge.

BTW hope you like the new cover. Made it myself *derp*

Also, sorry for the slight OOC in there. Thought it may be funnier this way.