• Published 7th Feb 2013
  • 8,436 Views, 297 Comments

Brand New Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



Book II. Returning once more with new determination, new goals and a new hat, Dusk is ready to see what the magic of friendship can offer... and perhaps much more.

  • ...
9
 297
 8,436

Out For A Walk

Placing his last dandelion and grass sandwich into his saddlebag, Dusk checked over one more time to see if he had everything that he needed. Water, lunch, a notebook and quill, picnic blanket. Okay, so he had everything now, so it was time to set off.

Locking his door as he left, he stepped outside and looked around, deciding to go off to the right, towards the centre of town, perhaps take a route towards Whitetail Wood. He rather liked that place.

This was one of Dusk's hobbies that didn't involve reading. Every now and again, he would go out on a walk, to get some exercise and to explore the area a little. There'd been some good places in Canterlot, but he hadn't done one for Ponyville yet. So, that's what he was going to do today, early on in spring.

He thought about the places he could possibly go. There was the mountain where Fluttershy had stood up to a dragon, but he didn't feel like climbing. The Everfree Forest was definitely out of the question, maybe Sweet Apple Acres... no, the wood would do for today, he thought to himself, as he greeted the occasional pony that walked by and waved at him.

As he left town, walking back on the country roads, a familiar face was floating along in the opposite direction, humming a tune to herself as she fluttered her wings gently to keep herself aloft.

"Good afternoon, Fluttershy," he greeted as he reached her. "Where are you going?"

"Oh, hello Dusk," she said. "I'm just on my way to one of my favourite spots where the animals play, I just love it there." She noticed his saddlebag. "Are you going somewhere... if you don't mind my asking?"

"Not at all. I'm just going for a stroll. It's something I like to do, sometimes. Keeps me fit and lets me explore." He suddenly had an idea. He usually did this on his own, but now he had friends so maybe... "Hey, you're not too busy, are you?"

"Um... not really, I suppose. Why?"

"Well, if you want to, would you like to join me? I wouldn't mind some company."

"You wouldn't? Oh, I would love to, it sounds like a nice idea... if you're sure you don't mind..."

"I told you it's fine. In fact," he continued, "I'll wait here, you go and find some of our other friends, see if they'd like to come along too. You'd better try and bring some extra food too... I only packed for me."

"Alright then, see you in a bit." With that, she flew off to find the others.

As Dusk waited for her to return, he couldn't believe he didn't think of this before. These walks were usually a time when he could be alone with his thoughts, along with the beauty of nature. Now, it might be even more enjoyable, if nopony was too busy of course.

After fifteen minutes, the cream-coloured pegasus returned, with Applejack and Rainbow Dash in tow, both of whom were wearing their own saddlebags, though Applejack's looked the heaviest.

"Sorry the others couldn't come," Fluttershy apologised. "Twilight's studying, Rarity's busy at the Boutique and Pinkie's got a big order of muffins to finish."

"It's fine, the more the merrier," Dusk said cheerfully. "I take it you two weren't too occupied then?"

"Nope, taday's a day off fer me, an' this seems like a mighty fine way ta spend it," Applejack replied.

"Yeah, and I was just taking a nap. This sounded like a better idea though, so I figured, 'why not'?" She hovered up to him. "So, where are going?"

"I usually just pick a direction and walk in it, to be honest," Dusk replied. "I was thinking of going up to Whitetail Wood, then see where we go from there."

"Lead the way then," Applejack insisted, as they set off once more.

"So uh... what's the point of this walk anyway?" Rainbow asked, hovering next to him.

"There isn't really a point, to be precise," Dusk explained. "I just feel like taking one, that's all. It's just something else I do that doesn't involve reading."

"Well, at least you're not a total egghead then," she remarked with a grin. "I guess it's kinda like me, and my need for speed."

"Yes, only this is safer. A lot safer," he emphasized, still shuddering remembering his skyward trip he took.

"Well, like ah said, it's good way ta spend the day." Applejack had joined in the conversation. "Ah packed us plenty-a apples an' apple snacks for eatin' later, so nopony's goin' hungry."

"I hear that the flowers that grow in Whitetail Wood are beautiful in spring," put in Fluttershy. "I hope they're in bloom, that'd be great."

"Hey, if this trip is gonna turn into flower picking, I might as well just jet off now," Rainbow warned.

"Oh um... sorry, Rainbow... I guess it doesn't matter..."

"To each their own, Miss Dash," Dusk pointed out smartly, smiling encouragingly at Fluttershy. "Let's just wait until we get there, shall we?"

"Well said, sugarcube. C'mon everypony, let's get walkin'," Applejack declared

Dusk found this was even better than he first thought. Now they were on the peaceful country road, it was just him and his friends, with the birds chirping happily and the sun up high in the sky. He would have liked if they were all here, but they were still good company anyway.

Fluttershy would stop, every now and again, to witness a bird or mouse or any other critter scuttle by. She would always apologize afterwards though, hoping they weren't mad. On occasion, Rainbow would get bored of the pace they were going at and do a trick or two in the sky, sometimes asking if they were there yet. Applejack strode right next to Dusk, engaging in pleasant chit chat, catching up since Winter Wrap Up a few days ago.

"So, Twilight actually used magic at one stage?" Dusk asked her.

"Sure did, an' it didn't turn out well, ah can tell ya. Not only did she crash the plough, but she also caused an avalanche that we had ta clean up."

"You weren't... too hard on her, were you?"

"Ah guess, maybe, but she had ta learn there was no place fer magic in wrappin' up winter, 'specially not on ma team," she said firmly. "'Sides, she found her place in the end, ya both did, which ah think is jus' dandy."

"I thought so too. I really enjoyed working with the animal team. Do you... think I did a good job, Fluttershy?"

"Oh yes, you did a wonderful job," she said eagerly. "He was so gentle with all the little critters, even ones like snakes that most ponies would be afraid of."

"Eh heh..." He rubbed the back of his head. "They were harmless... it was no big deal..."

"Ya helped ta wrap up winter, ah'd say that's a big deal, sugarcube," the country pony said.

"I agree," Fluttershy voiced. "It's always nice when somepony says something nice about you. Take a compliment, Dusk... I mean, if you want to... of course..."

"No, you're right... as always... thanks girls." He smiled warmly at them. "I find it hard to imagine a time when I didn't know any of you."

"That's... nice of you to say so," Fluttershy said shyly, blushing a little.

"Sure is. Thank ya kindly, Dusk." She tipped her stetson to him. "Fer what it's worth, ya make a fine addition ta our friendship."

"Yeah yeah, enough with the sappy stuff," Rainbow said impaitiently. "Can't we find some other way to pass the time till we get there? You guys are gonna make me puke."

"We could sing," Fluttershy suggested. "A nice song to put a spring in our step."

"No no no, I didn't mean-"

"Yeah, why not? Ya know any good songs, Dusk?" she asked him.

Dusk thought for a bit. He had read a book of songs that were good to hum or sing to one's self while walking. One immediately sprung to mind, a favourite of his, and with some alteration of the lyrics, he could make it even better.

"Okay, I've got one," he said. "I think you might like this one Rainbow, it has a fight in it."

"Eh... all right then," she said reluctantly. "Let's hear it."

Humming the opening notes and hearing the music play from somewhere,Dusk struck up this tune as they strolled through the woods:

To the town of Appleloosa rode a stranger one fine day
Hardly spoke to folks around her didn't have too much to say
No one dared to ask her business no one dared to make a slip
for the stranger there among them had a big pie on her hip
Big pie on her hip

It was early in the morning when she rode into the town
She came riding from the south side slowly lookin' all around
She's an outlaw loose and running came the whisper from each lip
And she's here to do some business with the big pie on her hip
big pie on her hip

In this town there lived an outlaw by the name of Troxas Red
Many colts tried to take him and that many had pie on their head
He was vicious and a splatter though a youth of twenty four
And the notches on his pie plate numbered one an nineteen more
One and nineteen more

Now the stranger started talking made it plain to folks around
Was a Ponyville ranger wouldn't be too long in town
She came here to take an outlaw back on a poster she had read
And she said she tracked him here she was after Troxas Red
After Troxas Red

Wasn't long before the story was relayed to Troxas Red
But the outlaw didn't worry colts that tried were forced to bed
Twenty colts had tried to take him twenty colts had made a slip
Twenty one would be the ranger with the big pie on her hip
big pie on her hip

The morning passed so quickly it was time for them to meet
It was twenty past eleven when they walked out in the street
Folks were watching from the windows everypony held their breath
They knew this brave young ranger was about to meet her death
About to meet her death

There was forty feet between them when they stopped to make their play
And the swiftness of the ranger is still talked about today
Troxas Red had not cleared metal fore the pastry fairly ripped
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big pie on her hip
big pie on her hip

It was over in a moment and the folks had gathered round
There before them lay the body of the outlaw on the ground
Oh he might have went on living but he made a fatal slack
When he tried to match the ranger that they call Applejack
They call Applejack!

"Awesome! AJ splatted somepony with a pie!" Rainbow laughed, as the pony in question flushed.

"Now, ah can tell ya that ain't true... but it sure was clever of ya ta mix up the lyrics a lil'."

"I thought so," Dusk remarked, as he chuckled, gazing at his surroundings. "Twilight was right, this place is lovely, even better in spring."

"Hey, we never really did settle who the Iron Pony was, did we?" asked Rainbow curiously.

"Guess it don' matter now... unless ya wanna have a lil' race right now?" Applejack challenged.

"You're on! First to that tree and back!" She dashed off with a gust of wind.

"Hey, no wings!" Applejack shouted, sprinting after her.

"Those two..." Dusk chuckled. "Right Fluttershy?" He looked to see she was gone. "Fluttershy?" He spotted her by a clump of orchids growing nearby.

"Look at all of these beautiful flowers," Fluttershy said, sniffing one of them. "It's a shame the others couldn't come, this is wonderful. I know, I'll pick some for them, show them they haven't missed out..."

He smiled after her, as she picked them delicately with her hooves. She really was something... they all were. He sighed, thinking of Twilight in the library. He wished she was here... she would love this.

Dusk approached one of the flowering bushes, sniffing them. They certainly had a pleasant fragrance. He spotted one of them, a bunch of lilacs, as some bees flew out of them. Feeling compelled do something nice, he picked them and put them in his saddlebag for Twilight. He hoped she would like them.

"Yes, I won!" Rainbow Dash yelled, making Dusk jump.

"Okay okay, ya beat me this time," panted Applejack. "Well, don't know 'bout everypony else but ah'm famished. Who wants lunch?"

Following Fluttershy, who would join them later in the meadow after she was done picking her flowers, Dusk set out the picnic blanket he'd bought along, pulled out one of his sandwiches and sank his teeth into it. Rainbow pulled out a pair of sunglasses and lounged on the blanket, whilst Applejack hoofed out a few apples for everypony to eat as well, including candy apples.

To entertain them while they ate, Dusk made a puppet show for them all, just depicting some animals running around and playing in the long grass, adored by Fluttershy as she chased after them. If he had known how his little talent would make so many ponies happy, he would have shown it a long time ago.

Fluttershy soon came and sat beside him, helping herself to an apple, whilst Rainbow had another nap and Applejack rested herself against a nearby tree, her hat over her closed eyes, relaxing peacefully.

"This really was a lovely idea, Dusk," she whispered. "Thank you for inviting me along."

"I was glad to," he said, casually floating his trilby into the air, glancing at her flowers. "That's a good bouquet you have there, who's the lucky pony?"

"Dusk..." She blushed heavily at his joke. "You know... these are for our friends..."

"Don't worry, I'm just joking," he assured. "Though, for the record, I think anypony would be lucky if they did ask for your hoof."

"Um... that's sweet of... you to say so..." She still blushed, but there was a little smile to her now. "But... I'm not looking for romance... that's more Rarity, than me..."

"Fair enough," Dusk agreed, shrugging. "I'm not saying you have to but, someday, I like to think you'll find that special somepony... it just takes time."

"I didn't take you for a romantic, Dusk."

"Well... I sort of am, I suppose..." He smiled more to himself than her. "I've never really thought beyond making friends,but now... I guess it's something else to strive for... if I meet somepony, that is."

"I'm sure you will, and she'd be lucky to have you too." she said kindly, making him blush now. "If you do... and you need help... you can always ask us."

"I'll bear that in mind... thanks." Smiling at the Element of Kindness, he placed his hat back on. Then, her eye caught something in his saddlebag.

"Are those for Twilight?" she asked, looking at the lilacs.

"Yeah... do you think she'll like them?"

"I'm sure she'll love them, especially if they're from you."

"What do you mean by that?" Dusk asked a little too quickly.

"Oh um... nothing..." Embarrassed, she lowered her head and became more interested in her hooves.

Not mentioning the subject again, they enjoyed the rest of the day in that little spot. Once they woke up, the two athletes suggested a game of speed and reflexes, wherein Dusk conjured up colour shapes and they had to reach them as fast as they could, before they vanished. Rainbow and Appplejack finished in a dead heat, though Rainbow insisted that she won. When Dusk went up against Fluttershy, who was nervous at the prospect, he allowed her to have a close victory by a few points, which surprised her greatly.

Soon, the sun began to dip lower in the sky, painting the horizon with an orange hue. It was time for them to head off home, Dusk rolling the blanket back up into his bag and picking up their scattered cores.

"Wait a sec..." Applejack picked up one of the cores, extracted the seeds with care and delicately planted them in the a spacious patch of the meadow. Dusk helped her dig a hole, covering it up a few seconds later. "There... now there'll soon be a nice new apple tree in this here spot."

"New life in spring, a wonderful thing," Dusk mused to himself, making Applejack smile. "Thanks for today AJ, it was... memorable."

"Ah sure hope so," she chuckled. "No problem Dusk, ah had fun with y'all."

"Can we get home now?" Rainbow called out. "I'm bushed."

"Rainbow, you were asleep for the past hour," Dusk reminded her as they set off once more.

"Yeah, I know... but still." She shrugged and sped off, leading the way back to town.

Dusk let Fluttershy go off ahead of him, her bunches of flowers in her mouth. She gave him a grateful smile and floated away like a leaf in the breeze. As she did, Dusk thought back to what she had said earlier...

Even though she probably just meant it in a friendly way, Dusk's mind still whirled at the possibilities that were now open from their previous conversation topic, even as they set up to leave back for Ponyville, at a much gentler pace this time. She'd said that any mare would be lucky to have him... did she mean that?

And Twilight... he'd never thought of her as anything more than his good friend but now... no, that would be stupid Dusk, he told himself. She'd already made clear her views on romance and love, she would never even consider... well, that... he would just have to stop thinking about it like that, he was just getting these flowers for her because she was his friend...

So why couldn't he stop?