• Published 7th Feb 2013
  • 8,425 Views, 297 Comments

Brand New Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



Book II. Returning once more with new determination, new goals and a new hat, Dusk is ready to see what the magic of friendship can offer... and perhaps much more.

  • ...
9
 297
 8,425

Sweet Apple Sunsets

Ever since his discovery of how wonderful friendship truly was, Dusk had learned many things about its magic. One of them was that any time spent with any of your friends, no matter what it was you were doing, was time well spent.

That was why he had given up his Saturday, when he would normally be relaxing and reading, to help Applejack out on the farm, to bring in a large crop of apples from the orchards and into the barn. It was certainly tough work, but at least he was in good company.

He wasn't just with Applejack in this, as Big Macintosh and Applebloom also gave their help, the former taking the big baskets off to the barn for storage and the latter just brightening up the day and making it more fun, along with her big sister.

Dusk could see why Applejack enjoyed her life on the farm so much. She and her family supplied an important commodity to the ponies of Equestria, it got her fresh air and kept her in shape and she was surrounded by her loving family, all of whom were just as dedicated to their work as she was. The only real exception was Granny Smith, but that was permissible.

They all worked tirelessly for the majority of the day, stopping only to break for lunch and drinks, before resuming work. Dusk wasn't bucking the apples out of the trees, as he didn't have the physical strength to. He had tried his hoof at one, but he had to give the tree five good kicks before the apples were dislodged, with a few still left in the tree. So, his task was carrying the baskets under the tree, catching the apples in them and depositing them for Big Mac to move to the barn.

It wasn't too exhausting, though he did have to get used to how much the apples weighed in the basket. Fortunately, he did have just enough strength in him to haul them to the much stronger stallion. Thankfully, the job was almost finished.

"Here we are Dusk, las' one an' we can call it a day," announced Applejack.

"Right you are miss," he replied, placing himself under the tree.

Applejack raised her rear legs, gave the tree a good kick and let the apples tumble into the baskets Dusk had fixed around his body. Buckling a little from the weight, he carried them over to her big brother.

"Here you go, Big Mac," he grunted, setting them down and letting him take them. "You going to be okay from here?"

"Ai-yup," he nodded. "Thanks fer the help Dusk."

"No trouble at all, happy to. See you later," he called, as the stallion took them off to the barn. Then, he returned to Applejack, who was leaning against the tree with her little sister. "Phew, what a day!"

"Ya can say that again," she agreed.

"I would, but I don't like repeating myself," he remarked. "Well, it's almost sundown, I'd better be getting home..."

"Wait a sec Dusk, ya haven't seen the best thing about this place," perked up Applebloom. "Come on sis, let's show him!"

"Ya know, that ain't such a bad idea." She stood up from the tree, leading them through the glades. "Jus' follow me Dusk, yer gonna like this."

Remaining silent, Dusk simply followed them across the orchards, letting them guide him to what was 'the best thing' about Sweet Apple Acres. Applebloom trailed back to walk next to him, her little legs moving with more frequency to keep up.

"Ah hope ya like this Dusk, me an ma sister head up here, now an' again, 'specially after a long day workin'."

"I'm sure I will," he smiled. "Hey, congratulations again on your award for the talent night. You girls really put a lot of work into that performance."

"We sure did. We still didn't get our cutie marks though," she added sadly. "But now we've got comedy ta focus on, we should get 'em in no time."

"When you live in hope," remarked Dusk. "Didn't you try discovering your talent here, on the farm?"

"It was one-a the firs' places ah tried. Ah tried sellin' apples but... that didn't go so well," she admitted. "Ah jus' hope we do discover our talents... ah don' wanna grow up without a cutie mark..."

"That won't happen Applebloom," said Dusk straight away. "Everypony has a talent, a skill that makes them special. You're no different Applebloom, nor are your friends. In time, you'll discover it. I promise you."

"Okay... thanks Dusk," she said sweetly. "Hey um... ah heard from ma sister about yer... magic talent."

"Did you now?" he asked, glancing at the country pony, who winked. "And...?"

"Well... would ya mind showin' me? Please?" She gazed up with big adoring eyes.

Dusk didn't answer. He just smiled, tapping into his power and conjuring up an apple shape, followed by several more, until he made a filly-sized pony that looked like it was made up of apples. He then controlled it so that it pranced around, chased by a laughing Applebloom.

The puppet master couldn't help but laugh as well, at how much joy she found in chasing it around the orchards as they walked. Life was so much more simple as a child, still learning who you were and just having fun. And when you did discover your talent, earn your mark... there was nothing else like it.

"Thanks fer that," said Applejack, "she's been askin' about that fer a while, and ah don't think ya disappointed."

"I came to that conclusion myself," remarked Dusk. "Where are we going, anyway?"

"You'll see, we're almost there," she told him, leading him on.

Soon enough, they began to climb up a nearby hill, higher above the miles of trees. Was it the view they wanted to show him? It would no doubt be something along those lines at any rate... not that he minded, for nature could really be amazing at times.

After a few minutes, they reached the top of the hill and stopped, setting themselves down on the grass. Applebloom lay down close to her sister, snuggling up against her, as she placed her stetson on her head. The love between the two sisters... it really was something.

"Here we are... jus' look out there." Dusk did as she asked... and felt his gaze be fixed on the sight before him.

The sun was just beginning to set below the sky, painting the sky with colours of orange and yellow, bathing the landscape in the beautiful blend of the colours before them. The stars began to shine in the sky, twinkling up above them and adding a further beauty to this wonderful sight.

From anywhere, a sunset was could be a beautiful thing. But here, with nothing but the splendour of nature, the miles of apple trees, the long green grass and the down home, rustic setting, it was truly magical.

They were right. This was the best thing about this place.

"Hey look, the firs' star-a the night," pointed Applejack up above. "Make a wish."

They all shut their eyes, not saying a word. Dusk, who just went along with it for the fun of it, simply wished that he and his friends would remain together and happy, united in love against all odds. It was cheesy but... well, it was nice to be cheesy.

Dusk simply enjoyed the moment, watching as the sun began to set below the line of the horizon. Applebloom, soon enough, drifted off to sleep, resting gently against her sister's side, as she smiled fondly down at her.

"She's sumthin', ain't she?" she mused to him. "Sometimes she can be a hoofful but... ah wouldn't trade her fer the world."

"I can see why." Feeling inspired, Dusk made some colour trails fly across the sky before them, making them dance and twirl around, almost like faries. Then he saw Applejack gazing thoughtfully at them. "Something wrong?"

"Huh?" She blinked at him. "Oh, nuthin', don't stop on ma account."

"I know that look, that's the look Twilight gets and, me too apparently. That's a deep thinking look." He cocked his head at her. "Bit for your thoughts?"

Applejack chuckled at that. "You two... ya really are quite close, ain't ya?"

"Well, when you work in the same place as your friend, it's bound to happen," he agreed. He looked down at his necklace. "She made me this, you know..."

"She mentioned that, yeah," she said, looking at it. "Suits ya jus' fine, like yer hat. Really kind gesture, if ya ask me."

"I thought so too." Blushing a little, he cleared his throat and returned his attention to her. "Anyway... what are you thinking about?"

"Well..." She thought again for a few minutes. "It's jus'... that colour talent-a yer's... ah jus' thought-a sumthin'..."

"What?"

"Jus' a feelin like... ah've seen it before... or sumthin' like it, perhaps."

"Really?" This had him intruiged. If there was somepony else who had his talent, perhaps he could find them. "Where? Can you remember?"

"Sorta... yeah, a long time ago... when all firs' met, at the Castle in the forest... when Twah'light vanished..." She looked thoughtful for another few minutes, then she sighed. "Ah can't quite explain it, but ah'm sure that it was sumthin' like yer magic."

"That's it? There's got to be more," he urged. "Are you sure that's all you can remember?"

"Yeah... sorry, ah know it don't help much. Coulda been sumthin' else, ya never know," she shrugged.

"It's fine... maybe it was..." Dusk let out a sigh of resignation.

He had really hoped for a moment there, that there might be a chance of somepony else having his talent, perhaps if he could find them, have them explain why they could do it... perhaps teach him if they were more experienced with it.

His disappointment must have shown clearly on his face, because Applejack spoke up again.

"Sorry, ah shouldn't have bought it up, ah shoulda got ma facts straight firs'," she berated, looking like she was angry at herself. "Probably got yer hopes up fer nuthin'."

"It's fine, don't worry. I'll figure it out later," he told her.

"Ya sure?"

"Quite sure, just forget it..." They sat in silence for a while. As he looked out across the horizon, a question formed in his mind. "Hey, AJ, can I ask you something?"

"Sure, shoot."

"Well... you know how you're all my friends? You and the girls, I mean."

"Las' time ah checked." Her expression became concerned. "Why do ya ask?"

"It's just... well... that won't change, will it?" He didn't feel he needed to ask, but he still wanted to know. "I mean... you won't... leave me alone, will you?"

"Aw Dusk..." The look on her face softened further. "A-course we won't. Why would ya ask that?"

"It's just... I've spent my whole life without any real friends, wanting them, but never thinking I could." Wiping away tears, he continued. "I don't... I don't want to go back to that... not after meeting you... all of you..."

"Dusk, ah always say the honest truth an' this is no different," she said, placing a hoof on his shoulder. "We may have our squabbles an' feuds, things may seem bleak at times. But ah promise ya, no matter what, we'll never stop bein' friends... an' we won't leave you alone."

There had been no need to ask, no need to even consider the thought in the first place. Despite the pointlessness of it, however, that assurance had increased Dusk's belief in friendship tenfold. There was just no disbelieving her... it was quite impossible.

"Thanks, Applejack... I'll never forget that." Feeling a smile growing on his features, he looked back to the sunset. "You know what? Applebloom was right... this is the best thing about this place."

"Glad we agree." Exchanging a soft hoof bump and warm smiles, they returned to watching the sunset, in a far more comfortable silence.

Dusk still considered what Applejack had said, the possibility of another 'colour bender', as Rainbow had said. It definitely wasn't him, for he had been fast asleep in his dorm at Canterlot at the time. Perhaps... sometime... he would investigate the matter himself, go to the ruin of the Pony Sisters Castle... one day.

But, for now, he knew one thing: What he had said to Applejack... he had said that just as honestly as her... and he never would forget. Never.