• Published 7th Feb 2013
  • 8,414 Views, 297 Comments

Brand New Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



Book II. Returning once more with new determination, new goals and a new hat, Dusk is ready to see what the magic of friendship can offer... and perhaps much more.

  • ...
9
 297
 8,414

Gala Plans

The slow rhythm of a traditional waltz music played in Dusk's ears, moving in near-perfect time with the beat that it created, smoothly moving Rarity across the space that she had created in the middle of the room. He held her as gently as he could, allowing himself to be relaxed, no matter how much he wanted to tense up from how nervous he felt about making a mistake. This was the last dancing lesson that they could fit in before the Grand Galloping Gala the following evening and he wanted to be sure that he would be ready to offer Twilight the chance to dance with him, if he was able to pluck up the nerve to ask.

He gave her one last spin as the music reached its end, bowing to her once it was finished and she returning the gesture with a curtsy. Calming himself as best he could, he looked up to see her smiling radiantly and found himself returning it.

"Dusk, that was perfect," she declared proudly. "I don't think that there's anything else that I can teach you."

"So… I'm ready?" he dared to ask.

"You are ready," she confirmed. "Once you dance at the Gala with Twilight, I guarantee that she'll see just how wonderful you can really be, if she hasn't already."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence," he mumbled modestly. "And thank you, for taking the time out to teach me, even if it was a pain."

"Think nothing of it. I shall simply be happy once you sweep Twilight off her hooves, as I have no doubt you will." She removed the gramophone and put it away. "Are you looking forward to the Gala?"

"Very much so," he replied. "I've never been, but at least it's at home… well, my home at any rate. It'll be great to spend the evening with you all."

"Ah, yes." She looked a little unsure. "Well, that's an issue, you see."

"How do you mean?"

"Well, you already know how I intend to spend a romantic evening with Prince Blueblood, but the others all have… plans of their own for the Gala."

Dusk was starting to feel a little apprehensive now. "I don't understand, what do you mean 'plans'?"

"Well…" Rarity shifted a little on her feet. "You must understand Dusk, all of us have dreamed of one day attending the Gala. As such, we all have our own special plans or hopes to fulfill at the Gala, plans that may take up… most of the evening."

"Oh… okay I uh… I understand," he stammered, feeling a little downcast at this news.

"Dusk, are you all right?" she asked, concerned.

"I uh… I don't know." He picked up his hat from the hat stand. "I need to think about this, I'll uh… see you later."

"I see." She looked like she was going to try and stop him leaving, but something told him that he understood how he was feeling. "Well… take care, darling."

"You too," he said quietly, leaving the Carousel Boutique and stepping back outside.

Even though the girls were the best friends he could have asked for, he still felt like the odd-one out at times, even if he did share the same special connection. He was the only stallion in the group, he wasn't one of the Elements of Harmony and now there was this. He himself had never thought much of the Gala. It was a big social event that there was no way he'd be able to fit in with, so why would he? As such, he didn't have any kind of special plan like the rest of them might have. It made him feel left out, like he was missing the point of it…

Before he could think further on this, he decided it would be better to hear them from the girls themselves, just to be sure. Maybe it wouldn't be as bad as Rarity had said, or so he was hoping. As such, he was now scanning the sky for a tell-tale streak of colours that only Rainbow Dash could leave. He soon found her, snoozing away on a cloud. She was a little annoyed when she was awoken, but lightened up a little when she saw who it was.

"Heya Dusk!" She offered him a hoof to bump. "What's up?"

"I just wanted to say hello," he replied as casually as he could. "Looking forward to tomorrow night?"

"You know it, it's gonna be awesome!"

"Really? Because I thought… actually, never mind."

"No, come on. You said it now, you can't take it back," she told him. He didn't want to say what he had thought of, but he didn't think she would mind if that was the case.

"I didn't think it would be your scene, you know…" he tried to find the best way to word it. "Um… dressing up, if you know what I mean…"

"Eh, I guess not," she shrugged, not noticing how uncomfortable he was mentioning it. "I might not make a habit of wearing dresses, but just for the Gala, I'm gonna be wearing the coolest dress anypony has ever seen."

"I have no doubt of that," he agreed. She looked at him, her eyes narrowing slightly.

"You noticed I'm not much of a girly girl then," she pointed out casually.

"You could say that yes."

"So what are you saying?" she asked aggressively. "That I should be a girly girl, huh? Doing all hair and make-up?"

"What? No, no of course not…" He was taken aback at this, afraid he'd said something wrong.

"Then what are you saying, huh?" she demanded, poking him in the chest. "Come on, spit it out!"

"I was just er… just saying that um… you're not much of a um… a girly girl, as you say. Not that that's a bad thing," he said quickly. "I mean, it's what makes you who you are and I'm not sexist or anything of the sort I uh…"

Then, she laughed and rapped him on the arm. "Chill out Dusk, I'm just messin' with you. I didn't mean it."

"Oh right…" He rubbed the back of his head, feeling a little foolish. "Sorry, still getting used to that…"

"Yeah, you always end up stammering like that when you're nervous." She flew and looked at him upside down. "You're pretty sensitive for a guy."

"And you're rather um… tough for a girl," he countered unsurely.

"I know right?" She laughed again and gave him another rap on the leg, which he winced from. "Maybe I should try and toughen you up a bit."

"Perhaps…" He cleared his throat, returning to what he wanted to ask her. "So, will you be busy during the night of the Gala?"

"Are you kidding? I'm gonna be showing my skills off to the Wonderbolts! They perform at the Gala every year and this is gonna be the best chance for me to show off what I can do."

"Ah… I see…" She didn't notice what he'd said and carried on.

"Just you wait and see Dusk, I'm gonna show 'em what real flying is all about. The Buccaneer Blaze, the sonic rainboom, they're gonna be blown away and I'll be one step closer to joining them. Can you picture it? Me, in the Wonderbolts…"

"I can see it already," he agreed absently, not really listening anymore. "Anyway um, sorry to cut this short but I… need to be somewhere."

She gave a pout at this. "Aw, you sure? I was just gonna show you what I had planned for the Gala."

"Um… surprise me." He did his best to smile and turned to go. "Have a nice nap."

"Will do, seeya," she said, flying back up to her cloud and setting her head down to sleep, Dusk walking back down the road.

Despite the blow that the coolest of his friends would be busy on the night of the Gala, in a way, he supposed that he'd known all along. The Wonderbolts did perform at the Gala, so Rainbow would be a fool to miss out an opportunity to show off her skills to them once more. He wondered what it actually took to join the Wonderbolts. If he were Spitfire, he would have taken on Rainbow the instant after she performed the sonic rainboom, but for whatever reason she'd waited. He shrugged, putting the thought aside. The workings of the elite flyers didn't really matter right now.

Caught up in his meanderings, he didn't notice as he collided with something bright pink that suddenly jumped out of a bush.

"Oops, sorry Dusky!"

"It's all right Pinkie," he assured her, as she helped him up. "I was miles away, that's all."

"No you weren't, you're standing right here," she corrected brightly.

"No, I mean I was…" He let it go, knowing she was just being Pinkie. "Never mind." He looked over her to see that her fur was tangled with leaves and bits of twig. "What have you been up to?"

"I've literally been up! I wanted to see if travelling through the trees and bushes around town was any easier than taking the paths, you know, mix things up a little."

"I… see. And was it?"

"Mm, no, not really. Going on a path might be more boring, but I think it's a lot cleaner that travelling by tree." She knocked the side of her head, leaves falling out of her left ear. "So, what are you doing?"

Disregarding all that she had just said, Dusk returned to reality. "Nothing much, just wandering."

"I do that too when I'm bored. One time, I wandered so far I ended up in Torttingham. Didn't quite understand how that happened, but they do great fries there, but they call them 'chips'. What's up with that?" She shrugged and beamed at him again. "You looking forward to the Gala?"

"Sort of," he said noncommittally. "I take it you are?"

"Of course! Why wouldn't I? The Grand Galloping Gala is the biggest, fanciest, swingiest, cakiest, danciest, most funeriffic party in all of Equestria. It'll be great, especially when I'm there because I love parties, especially the Grand Galloping Gala because it's just so fun." In typical Pinkie fashion, she said all of this without pausing for breath.

"Well, I can certainly tell you're going to be having a fun evening," noted Dusk, unable to suppress a smile.

"I most certainly will. What are you planning for the Gala?"

"Nothing really, I don't have anything planned," he said honestly.

At this, Pinkie gasped dramatically, as if he'd just suddenly said all parties had been declared illegal by royal command. "But how can that be? You've gotta have a special plan for the Gala, you just gotta!"

"Um… why?" Dusk asked unsurely.

"We all have special plans for the Gala Dusk, it's what they expect!"

"Who, our friends?"

"No, them!" She pointed in a direction into the sky. "Them, watching us out there!"

Dusk, still unsure as what to make of this, looked in the direction that she pointed. He saw the clear blue sky, the odd cloud here and there and birds flying and chirping happily, but he couldn't see anything else. He looked rather warily at Pinkie, who still had a determined expression on her face.

"Um… Pinkie, there's nopony watching us. Are you… seeing them right now?"

"Not all the time, but sometimes I see 'em. They're really weird too. Their faces are too small, their eyes are tiny, and they've got no fur other than on their heads and these weird meaty things on the end of their hooves. I sometimes talk to them, but I don't think they can hear me. Shame really." She squinted back at the sky, as if something might appear there.

"Right…" Deciding this was going into strange territory, Dusk began to edge away. "I'm going to go and see er… Fluttershy now."

"That's nice of you," said Pinkie happily. "Have smiletastic day Dusk and remember, they're watching us." She tapped her face knowingly and bounced off in the opposite direction.

Dusk looked unsurely back into the sky again, then back at Pinkie and finally shrugged. She was just being Pinkie, as usual. As he set off for Fluttershy's cottage, he processed this new information. Should have a plan for the Gala like the rest of them supposedly did or was that just Pinkie in one of her odd moods? He supposed it might make him feel less left out but… what could he do at the Gala that he couldn't do anywhere else? What would make his evening special? Mentally noting to think about those details later, he continued onward down the road.

So Rainbow and Pinkie would be busy on the night, but he was fairly sure his emotional equal would be free. She was just as tentative about social events as he was, especially with a big group of strange ponies. Maybe Fluttershy would be free for the Gala, as he met her at her home and she invited him into her garden for some tea. At first, the conversation turned to Dusk's new pet.

"Oh she's doing wonderfully," he told her happily. "She's really made a difference in my home."

"I'm glad she is. The poor thing was so nervous and scared when I first found her, I didn't think she'd be a pet or friends with anypony."

"Remind you of somepony?" Dusk asked knowingly. "Maybe that was why I was drawn to her. We are quite alike."

"Yes, I noticed." She sipped her tea and smiled at him. "I'm sure you're doing a wonderful job with her."

"I try my best," shrugged Dusk, wanting to return to the topic he wished to discuss. "So… the Gala tomorrow night?"

"Oh yes, it's going to be wonderful!" she said dreamily.

"I didn't think you'd be so excited by a big social gathering," he noted curiously.

"Well, it's not so much the dance itself, but the gardens that surround it," she explained. "The beautiful flowers that grow in the garden will all be in bloom only on the night of the Gala, and that's not all. There are all sorts of animals that live in the gardens, all kinds of different critters and creatures for me to make new friends with."

"So… you'll be busy for the Gala too?" Dusk asked, knowing the answer.

"Yes, I'll be in the gardens all night." She noticed how forlorn he must look and her smile faltered. "Oh, I'm sorry. Did you want to do something?"

"No, no, I'm fine…"

"You could join me in the gardens, if you like. You're interested in animals too."

"Thanks, but I wouldn't want to bother you on your big evening," he declined, remembering what Pinkie had said to him. "Besides I uh… have my own plans for the Gala."

"Oh really? What?" Dusk suddenly realised what had come out of his mouth. Why had he said that? He had no such plans at all!

"I uh… um… I'd rather not say yet, it's a um… a surprise." He tried to cover it up with a smile, hoping she wouldn't notice. Thankfully, she didn't and didn't ask any more questions on the matter.

When Dusk left her home a few minutes later, he was thoroughly depressed. Even Fluttershy had a special plan that she'd been waiting for on the night of the Gala. If she had her unique dream for the Gala, there was no doubt the rest of the girls would too, even Twilight. They'd all be busy with them at the Gala, while he'd be on his own for the whole evening. He'd never be able to ask Twilight to dance with him now, not now she'd be so busy…

He sniffed and wiped away the tear that threatened to trickle down his cheek, as he stopped to rest under the shade of a nearby tree overlooking Sweet Apple Acres. Suddenly, he wasn't looking forward to the Grand Galloping Gala at all. He was now wishing that the night would come along and be over and done with as quickly as possible, just so he wouldn't have to suffer the embarrassment of having nothing to do for long, of being even more of an odd-one out…

"Yer lookin' a little bluer than usual sugarcube." He looked up to see Applejack, wearing her saddlebags and a tender expression. "You okay hun?"

He sighed, hoping his voice wasn't shaking from holding back tears. "Not really, no. You don't have to concern yourself with me though, you're probably busy…"

"That may be, but ah consider a friend in distress of much greater importance. Ya should know that by now." She placed herself on the ground next to him. "What's on yer mind Dusk?"

"It's um… it's silly, it's not important…"

"Ah'll be the judge-a that. Ah ain't leavin' till you tell me what's eatin' ya," she said firmly, in typical Applejack fashion.

Knowing she was telling the truth, Dusk looked at her. "Applejack… do you have plans for the Gala?"

She seemed surprised at the question but answered regardless. "Well, ah'm gonna be sellin' ma stock there from the farm. Apples, apple fritter, apple fries, apple pie, you name it, ah'm sellin' it. Should be able ta raise a pretty penny fer business here on the farm and do some renovations with it. Least, that's what ah'm hopin'." She tilted her head sideways. "Why do ya ask?"

"It's just… well… you all have special plans for the Gala, hopes or dreams to fulfil. And I…" He bowed his head in shame. "I have nothing."

"Nothin'? Nothin' fer what?" she asked.

"I mean no special plan for the Gala, no secret wishes or childhood dreams to finally live, not like you. I never thought much of the Gala, just as another big social event that I would have no chance of being invited to or enjoying myself at. Now that I'm actually going and I hear about what all of you are hoping to do… I just feel like I'm missing out on something when I shouldn't be." He broke eye contact with her, knowing how pathetic he must sound.

"Dusk… ah understand why yer feelin' like this." Her voice was still gentle and kind. "But ah think the fact that ya have no plan fer the Gala makes ya jus' as valid ta come as the rest-a us."

He looked back into her kind, honest face. "Really?"

"Sure, 'cause that means ya can jus' make it up as you go. Ya know, get in there, talk ta some new ponies, make some new friends an' jus' have yerself a good time like that. Yer a very different pony from when ya firs' thought about the Gala ah think."

"In a way… yes, I suppose I am," he agreed, realising what she was getting at.

"So ya can get in there an' show 'em jus' how different ya really are an' jus' enjoy yerself. Besides," she added, "we may not be busy all night with what we have planned fer the evenin'."

"Is… that so?" he asked, his spirits raising a little more.

"Well yeah, we may get some time ta spend tagether durin' the Gala. Ya never know, we'll jus' have ta wait an' see." She saw the smile that was growing on his face. "Feelin' better now, ah see."

"Much better, thank you Applejack." Giving her his warmest smile and a tip of his trilby, he turned to leave. "If you would excuse me, there's something I need to do."

"Sure thing, ah gotta get this stuff ta the farm anyway. Glad ah could help Dusk!" She called, as he galloped off towards the library, his hopes renewed.

This latest news was a great source of comfort for him. Not only did he not feel as bad about the upcoming Gala, but he was also relieved at the discovery that the girls might not be kept busy all night by their own plans, specifically one of them. He thought it would be best to ask her, right now, just so that he at least had something to hope for. It would be easier said than done, as his stomach was doing back-flips and every instinct that he had become accustomed to was screaming at him to stop. Doing his best to ignore them and remember all that Rarity had taught him, he pressed on towards his workplace.

Still smiling, but feeling butterflies begin to flap frantically in his digestive system, he slowed down when he reached the library, caught his breath and composed himself, entering through the door. They weren't in the tree itself, but he saw both Twilight and Spike at the top of a nearby hill. Taking a few deep breaths, he went out to meet them, Spike rocking back and forth on his feet, while Twilight had her head in a book, an apple standing before her.

Knowing she was busy, and secretly looking for an excuse to postpone the moment of truth for now, he watched silently. Twilight soon put aside the book and Spike suddenly watched alertly. She shut her eyes in concentration, her horn aglow with purple magic, an aura surrounding the apple. It suddenly swelled in size as if pumped full of helium, growing a set of wooden wheels and glass windows, as well as a set at the front for a driver to sit and a harness for ponies to attach themselves. Dusk marvelled at the apple carriage for about five seconds until it reverted back to its orginal state.

"Wow, nice work Twilight!" Spike praised. "This'll be perfect for the Gala."

"I hope so. I just need to try and do the other spell I'm working on, but I think we'll be ready in time for the Gala. Let's take a break for…" She stopped and beamed when she saw Dusk. "Oh hello Dusk!"

"Huh? Oh, hey buddy!" Spike said. "How long have you been there?"

"Not long," he admitted, walking over, trying his best to sound casual. "That was some great magic there, though I wouldn't have expected any less."

"Yeah, pretty awesome huh?" added Spike, as Twilight blushed at the compliment. "I get to be the driver, once Twilight gets the pullers sorted."

"You're a dragon of many talents Spike," said Dusk. "I'm sure you'll do a fine job. Looking forward to it?"

"Oh yeah! I mean," he added hurriedly, "I'm not into all that girly stuff, if you know what I mean," he muttered in an undertone.

"Don't worry, I do," he replied, winking. "But it'll still be a great evening."

"Sure yeah, especially seeing how us Canterlotians will all be back home. Maybe you and me could hang out there Dusk, see the sights and everything. Do you like donuts?"

"I don't dislike them," he said.

"Great," he said brightly, "cause you're gonna love this donut shop me and Twilight used to go to. And you can show us where you used to hang out."

"I didn't frequent many places apart from the library, but it could still be fun I suppose," he admitted.

"Yeah, it will be." He gave Dusk a hoof bump as Twilight came over. "So, what brings you here?"

Dusk felt the nerves come back once more, knowing the time was close. "Actually, I came to ask Twilight something?"

"Really? What about, is there something wrong?" she asked out of concern for him. He was touched by this and echoed her blush.

"Nothing, don't worry but… can I talk to you? In private?" he added pointedly to Spike.

"Huh? Oh right yeah, of course," he nodded, walking back down the hill, leaving the two of them alone. As he did, he gave Dusk his own wink and knowing smile, setting off back for the library.

Now he was alone with her, Dusk didn't really know how to begin. He opened his mouth a few times to start speaking, but shut it again when he thought about it a bit more. Twilight must have noticed his discomfort and spoke up instead.

"Are you sure everything's okay Dusk? You can talk to me, you know that."

"I um… already have," he said cryptically. "Anyway um… listen, I was wondering… do you have any plans for the um… for the Gala?"

"Oh." She seemed a little disappointed, but she covered it up quickly. "Yes, I intend to spend the evening talking to Princess Celestia. It's been so long since I've had a proper talk with her, that this will be a great opportunity to catch up on everything. I'm really looking forward to it. What about you, what do you have planned?"

"Nothing really, I'm just going to go along and see what happens," he said proudly.

"Good for you, I hope that works out well. I couldn't imagine going along without some kind of plan for the evening, but I suppose that would work for you."

"I hope it does…" Summing up all of his courage, he returned to the issue. "Anyway, the reason I asked was… well… I was wondering if um… if you weren't too busy, that um… you might… well…"

"Yes?" she prompted gently, not losing her patience with his nervous stammering.

"Um… if you would… like do have a… a dance… with me…" he said quietly. He diverted his gaze to the ground, not daring to look at her face.

"You… you want to dance with me?" she repeated. She sounded just as surprised about this, but he couldn't tell if she was angry or happy.

"Well um… I mean, it's just I've been taking lessons… you know, for the Gala, because it's a dance and I… I don't know how to dance so… I was taught and um… just thought you might…" He trailed off and sighed, thinking that he was just embarrassing himself. "You know what, never mind… it was a stupid idea anyway… I just thought… never mind." He was about to leave, staring at the ground when…

"Wait." He looked back, daring to look at her face. She was smiling. "I'd like that."

"P-p-p-pardon?" he asked, hardly daring to believe it.

"Provided I'm not too busy doing the evening then…" She paused, took an intake of breath and beamed at him. "Then yes, I would lo- I mean very much like to dance with you Dusk."

"Y-y-you would?"

"Yes, I would. I'm sure you're a great dancer," she added warmly, her own cheeks turning red. "I don't know much about how to dance myself but… I suppose I could just look at it in a book right?"

"I'm sure you could," he said, grinning all the while. "Well, I'll see you tomorrow then. Good luck with that spell and um… thank you for accepting my offer."

"I'll do my best and thank you for offering," she said, smiling widely herself. "See you tomorrow evening!"

Dusk absently returned the farewell as he headed back down the hill, trying his best not to leap and woop for joy until he was out of sight. She'd said yes! She'd actually said yes! Now, he was definitely looking forward to the Grand Galloping Gala just as much as everypony else.