• Published 7th Feb 2013
  • 8,404 Views, 297 Comments

Brand New Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



Book II. Returning once more with new determination, new goals and a new hat, Dusk is ready to see what the magic of friendship can offer... and perhaps much more.

  • ...
9
 297
 8,404

Green Isn't Your Colour

Usually, Dusk would be in the library with Twilight and Spike, helping her with her studies, handing things to her or just reading a book. Today, however, he was at the Carousel Boutique with the two of them, along with Pinkie, Rarity and Fluttershy, assisting the debutante with a very important event. The famous photographer Photo Finish was coming, Rarity was displaying her work for her and Fluttershy was her model.

Dusk had never seen her so tense and worried before. Her temper was short, as was her eye for even the most minute detail that could spoil everything. He felt a little sorry for poor Fluttershy, who was under quite a bit of pressure in an environment she was uncomfortable with. Every now and again, her gaze would flick to him and he would give her a reassuring smile, so she was a little more relaxed.

Ever since he'd performed at Canterlot, Dusk had become something of a symbol of confidence for her. He himself was a little more outspoken as a result of it. he was still a little shy and equally modest, qualities he shared with the cream-coloured Pegasus, but he had gained some confidence since then. As such, he was there as a source of comfort for her, for obvious reasons. She'd actually come over to his house and asked him to be there, so that she might feel less nervous about it. He was only too happy to oblige.

"Hm... She's going to want to see attitude and pizzazz," Rarity was telling Fluttershy.

"A-a-attitude and, um... pizzazz," she repeated nervously.

"More light! It has to catch the sequins just so or the whole outfit is just a disaster." Twilight quickly obliged, using her magic to expand the light above Fluttershy. "Oh, and the headdress need more feathers. Pinkie Pie! More feathers!" Pinkie bounced over with a basket of feathers, that Rarity placed into the headdress. Her eyes examined the tiny jewels worked into it. "Dusk, gem simulation!"

Dusk swiftly obeyed, using his colour magic to create the effect of tiny sparkling gems. This was so Rarity could get an idea of what they would look like, before she tried working them into the dress. She instructed him where to place them, adjusting every tiny little detail. Finally, she fixed in a few more on the hem and shooed him away from the pedestal, Dusk renaming silent so not to aggravate her.

"And sequins! More sequins!" Spike pranced over with a bowl of them, which she sprinkled on Fluttershy. "And more ribbon!" He placed it on. "Oh no! Less ribbon." He removed it. "No! More ribbon." And back again. "Oh, this hem is completely off. PINCUSHION!"

Spike sped away, returning with pins stuck in his back. Dusk grimaced a little, despite his knowledge that dragon scales were thick enough to protect them from molten lava. Rarity placed them on the hem and shooed him away too, her expression softening a little

"Thank you all for helping me. I'm sorry to be so short with you, but I'm... I'm just so nervous."

"Understandable Rarity," Dusk voiced. "Don't worry, I'm sure Photo Finish will love this dress, along with all of your work."

"Thank you Dusk, that's nice of you to say so," she smiled at him. Dusk caught Twilight briefly glaring at Rarity, until Spike returned, still with the pins in his back.

"Oh, doesn't that hurt?" she asked him.

"Thick scales," he said promptly. "Can't feel a thing. And even if I could, there is no pain that would keep me from assisting the most beautiful creature in the world."

Twilight groaned in exasperation and rolled her eyes, Dusk merely smiling. Her reaction made him worry a little. Would that be how she viewed anypony who fawned over somepony else like that? Dusk pushed that thought aside before it could settle and fester.

"Hey Dusk, do you think we can trust these two?" Spike asked him, gesturing his head to Rarity. Dusk knew what he was referring to.

"I think so, my brother in library-assistantship," nodded Dusk.

"Okay then, bro." He turned to Twilight and Pinkie. "I'm gonna tell you two a secret, I've already trusted Dusk with it. But you have to promise not to tell anyone."

"I promise," vowed Twilight.

"Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye," promised Pinkie.

Spike beckoned them to come closer. Then closer again. Then again, until they were right next to his head. Although Dusk couldn't hear him from where he was, he found himself mouthing the words regardless, smiling again.

"I have a crush on Rarity!" Twilight reacted with a frown that said 'well duh.' Pinkie, however, gasped and shoved her hooves in her mouth.

"We won't say a word!"

"Give me a break. Everypony already knows how you-"

"Twilight!" Pinkie scorned, cutting her off. "You promised Spike you wouldn't say anything. He trusts you. And losing a friend's trust is the fastest way to lose a friend forever!"

"But-"

"FOREVER!"

"My lips are sealed. Though I'm pretty sure Rarity is gonna pick up on your feelings," she noted, as Spike wore a t-shirt with Rarity in a love heart at the centre. Wait, what? He hadn't been wearing that before. How did he-?

There was no time to consider this mystery further, as the bell rang to announce an entry of their esteemed guest, with two mare assistants. She wore a black dress, with white and pink finishes on the hem. Her white mane was set in a neatly organised bob, reaching up to ear length. Her eyes were covered by large-framed pink glasses, hiding them from view. She carried herself with self-assured confidence, as most elite would, but Dusk had to stuff his hooves in his mouth to stop himself sniggering from her get-up. Twilight noticed, stifling a giggle herself.

"I, Photo Finish... have awwived," she announced, with a thick accent, though Dusk couldn't determine its origin.

"Let me just say, what an honor-" Rarity stopped as Finish walked straight past her, rudely ignoring her and focusing her attention on Fluttershy. She popped a collpasable camera from her suitcase and pointed it at her.

"We begin... NOW!" she declared.

The photo shoot was over quickly. Rarity tried to mime to Fluttershy poses to do, but Finish didn't like them, apparently only interested when she looked her most timid and reserved, which was whenever she rejected a move. At least she was trying her best. After only about four or five photos, she collpased her camera again and moved to confer with the other two.

Dusk and Twilight exchanged a look. This didn't bode well. Either she only needed a few photos or she didn't like Rarity's work. The mare in question removed Fluttershy's feathered headress, looking forlorn.

"I'm so sorry. I tried my best," said Fluttershy sadly.

"Well, the headdress is too big for you and cape had too much sparkle," replied Rarity, equally disappointed. "I can't believe I ever thought I could impress her."

However, the photographer returned with surprising news. "It seems that I, Photo Finish, haff found a next fashion star here in Ponyville."

"Really?" Rarity asked, hardly daring to believe it.

"Yes. Really. And I, Photo Finish, am going to help her to shine all over Eqvestria. Tomorrow a photo shoot in ze park." She stood frozen in place for a few seconds then: "I go!" With that announcement, she dashed off with her stylists.

"Did you hear that?" whispered Rarity, looking after her. "I am going to "shine all over Equestria"."

"Clearly, she has good taste," remarked Dusk. "I told you she'd love your line of fashion."

"Yes... yes you did." She squealed with excitement. "Oh, this is absolutely marvellous!"

"Oh, Rarity. I was so worried I'd ruined everything," said Fluttershy, relieved.

"Oh, never. I knew you'd be perfect." Unable to contain her excitement, Rarity squealed and bounced up and down on Spike's tail, though the dragon in question was so love-struck, he didn't seem to care. Twilight nodded to Dusk, who promptly dragged him away.

A few minutes later, Twilight and Dusk were on their way back to the library. Spike had volunteered to stay behind to help Rarity clear up, hearts floating in his eyes all the while. Twilight had let him, with another roll of her eyes, leaving him to it.

"Don't you think it's a little, that Spike considers his crush a secret when it's so obvious how he feels?" she asked him.

"Not to him it isn't. I respect that and so should you."

"I do," she insisted quickly, "but you have to admit, it is rather obvious."

"I suppose you're right," Dusk nodded, "as usual."

"I'm not always right."

"Most times you are. As they say, Twilight's always right in love and war."

"Who says that?"

"I do."

"Dusk..." She giggled at his kidding, playing along. "Okay, how am I right where love is concerned."

"Well," said Dusk, "you spend months, doting and fawning with somepony, knowing how they feel about you, before discovering they don't feel the same and feeling devastated. Result: wasted time, broken heart and Twilight is right once more."

While he was playing along with this hypothetical discussion, he deliberately said it like that, as a way of a test of sorts. Would she disagree or perhaps disprove it, giving indication of how she might feel for him?

"I suppose," she said, making his hopes plummet, until: "But... that's not completely true."

"Really?" It was a chance, it had to be. "How so?"

"I don't think all romance is silly. If two ponies are right for each other and do feel the same way, then that's wonderful."

"I see, yes..." Would it be going too far to push further? "Any uh... examples?"

"Um..." Her cheeks went red and she avoided his gaze, quickly saying. "I mean, nopony we know but uh... it just makes sense! Uh, right?"

"Yes, I suppose so." He felt a little disappointed from the lack of result, but it had to be something. Deciding to change the subject, he said: "Do you think Rarity really will 'shine all over Equestria?'"

"Well, Photo Finish seems to think so." She seemed quite relieved to talk about something else, as they arrived back at the library. "We'll go and find out tomorrow how well it went."

"Good plan," he agreed, holding the door for her. "Right, back to work. Did you want to do that study session then?"

"Ooh yes!" she said excitedly. "I'll get the books and we can get started."

"As you wish, Miss Sparkle," he obeyed, pulling one down from the shelf and beginning to quiz her on transformation spells. His work might not make him famous, not that he wanted fame, but it was still enjoyable.


The next day, Twilight, Pinkie, Spike and Dusk dropped in on Rarity to see how the photo shoot in the park went. Dusk had went along quickly to offer support for Fluttershy, but he hadn't been able to stay for the whole thing due to work. So, he was just as surprised as the others when they discovered it wasn't Rarity Finish wanted to work with, but Fluttershy.

After sewing a dark, hooded robe, she'd asked to be left alone. Dusk did want to comfort her, but understood her disappointment. After all, he'd experienced it himself once upon a time. They obliged, though Dusk had to drag Spike out when he tried to sneak back in.

Fluttershy, meanwhile, became an instant modelling star overnight. Soon, everypony knew her name, as her pictures started appearing everywhere. She was on the covers of various, newspapers magazines, food and drink products. It was incredible how popular she had become. As such, they didn't get to see much of her anymore, as she was always being kept busy by different events and photo shoots.

Their group was all happy for her success, with the exception of two individuals: Dusk and Rarity. In the latter's case, it was rather clear that she was jealous of her success. Rarity never spoke much of Fluttershy and when her name was mentioned, her eye twitched and her smile was forced. She hid it well, but Dusk could spot it, if he looked carefully.

Dusk, however, was more concerned for Fluttershy herself. She couldn't stand being the centre of attention and now that was practically all she did. It seemed very unlikely that she was enjoying this, let alone that she'd agreed to it in the first place.

At first, he thought he was just being protective of her. Maybe she actually was enjoying her new-found fame and he was just worrying over nothing. However, that changed when he saw bumped into her on the streets of Ponyville, a panicked expression on her features.

"Fluttershy? What's-" He looked over her shoulder to see a mob of photographers and fans storming after her. "Quickly, follow me."

She complied quietly, as they sprinted down an alleyway, up ahead of the mob. As they turned and reached the exit, he pushed her behind a bin, instructing her to stay out of sight. Making sure his horn was covered up, he made a puppet of Fluttershy appear next to him, just as the mob rounded the corner.

"There you are! Look, there she goes!" He instructed it to run, which it did. "Hurry, you can still catch her!"

"You heard him, let's go!" Dusk had to leap aside not to be trampled underhoof from the sheer mass of ponies. Once they had gone, he beckoned her out.

"Oh Dusk, thank you so much," she said quietly, giving him a gentle hug. "I-I-"

"It's okay, I was happy to help. Go, run. Find somewhere else to hide, quickly!"

"Right, okay. Thank you again, I'm sorry…" She hurried away as fast as she could, leaving Dusk alone with his thoughts. That confirmed his suspicions.

"Well, ya never know Dusk," Applejack said, as he told her his views on this a few hours later. "Maybe she's gotten used ta the attention an' she's jus' enjoyin' it."

"I don't think so," he replied. "She looks rather miserable in those pictures to me and when that mob was chasing her. It isn't like her to do something like this."

"Ponies change Dusk, like yerself," she pointed out. "Ah mean, think about the contest. Ya wouldn't have normally done that, but ya did. Ya got on stage yerself when ya never thought ya would."

"I suppose so, maybe," he said unsurely, as he paid for the apple he bought. The box, once more, had Fluttershy's face on it. "I still don't know… by the way, that was a one-off. I'm never doing anything like that again…"

"Really, how come?" She cocked her head at him. "Ya did pretty well."

"I know and I did like that I achieved something, but I still didn't like getting up there." He shuddered as he remembered how nervous he felt. "All of those faces staring and watching, even if they did like it…"

"If ya say so," she said, not arguing with him. "Well, if ya are worried about Fluttershy, ya might get the chance ta talk ta her tomorrow. She an' Rarity have regular get-tagether at the spa."

"Hm… Twilight mentioned about going to the spa tomorrow. Maybe I'll go along with her then." With that thought in his head, he set off back down the road. "Thanks for the talk and the apple."

"No problem, sugarcube," she assured. When he returned to the library, he proposed his idea to Twilight, who thought it was an excellent idea and said she would be glad of the added company.

At first, Dusk had his doubts about it. This was mainly because that most stallions didn't exactly spend their time at spas. He even said so to Twilight, who reminded him that he wasn't 'most stallions'. A trip to a spa was just as good for stallions as it was for mares. Besides, he would be with his friends, so it wouldn't be so bad. His friends wouldn't think any less of him because he took in 'girly' pastimes and neither would she.

As such, Dusk felt better about it when they arrived the next day, leaving his hat and necklace with a spa attendant, telling her to treat them carefully and slipping into a woollen white robe. He followed her into main body of the spa, thinking maybe at least one of the baths would be quite relaxing.

They spotted Rarity in one of the hot tubs, a pink towel wrapped around her mane. The only surprise she expressed at the sight of him was a slight widening of the eyes, but she said nothing else, which Dusk was thankful for. At least Twilight was right about that.

"My hooves are getting positively pruney, I've been waiting here so long." She showed her one of them, her expression hardening. "Obviously Fluttershy's just too busy with her new career to spend time with her best friend."

"I'm sure she just got tied up," placated Twilight.

"Of course she did. She's a big bright shining star! I wish that star would burn out."

"Rarity!" Dusk knew she was jealous, but he never expected this. "How can you say that?"

"Fluttershy is your friend," put in Twilight, just as shocked.

"I know, I know. And I should be happy for her, but instead I'm just... jealous! Oh, please promise you won't tell her I feel this way. Please, please, pleasepleasePLEASE!"

"You have my word," Twilight vowed. "Losing a friend's trust is the fastest way to lose a friend."

"Forever?" prompted Dusk, with a chuckle, which turned into a yell when somepony burst out of the bucket of sponges next to him.

"Hey! Stop stealing my lines with your psychic powers!" yelled Pinkie, as she sank back into their yellow depths, glaring at him.

Deciding not to comment on this, Dusk removed his robe as Rarity stepped out behind a changing screen. Departing from the spa in a beautiful white dress, she left Dusk and Twilight alone, the latter of the two climbing into the bath.

"Have a lovely time, you two," she said to them as she left, giving a swift wink. Neither of them replied to this, they only blushed.

Dusk tentatively put his hoof in, testing the temperature, before sliding in himself. He let out a long sigh, as a wave of utter relaxation swept through his whole body from the warm water.

"I told you you'd like it." Twilight smiled in amusement, as she closed her eyes to begin relaxing herself. Dusk was about to follow suit, when they were disturbed once more.

"Rarity! I'm so sorry I'm..." She stopped when she saw it was only Dusk and Twilight. "Oh no. She's already gone, isn't she?"

"Sorry," Twilight said sincerely.

"Oh, I can't believe this. I am so frustrated I could just scream." She drew in a deep breath and let out her 'scream'. Even that was more of a quiet squeak.

"I don't suppose that did the trick?" asked Dusk.

"No." She fluttered up to them gently. "Can I tell you both something?

"Of course."

"What's on your mind?" prompted Dusk. This had been what he had come for after all.

"You promise not to tell Rarity?" she asked.

"We swear," Twilight promised.

"Pinkie Pie-swear?"

"Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my- AARGH!" She ended up poking herself in the eye on the last bit.

"Don't worry, I did that too," murmured Dusk quietly. "Anyway, go ahead."

"I don't like being a model. No, I hate being a model. All this attention is awful, just awful. And I'm only doing it because Rarity told me I must. I must! I MUST!" She gave a forlorn sigh. "I must..."

"Aw, Fluttershy… if it makes you feel any better, I'd feel exactly the same." He placed a comforting hoof on her shoulder. She gazed up at him gratefully for his understanding.

"I suppose it does… thank you Dusk."

"Ahem." Twilight's expression was rather hard, almost jealous, at first, but then it flickered back to casual, her cheeks flushed. " Anyway..." She checked around, then beckoned Fluttershy in closer. "If you wanna know the truth, Rarity-"

"Uh, Twi…" Dusk gestured silently to the sponges and shook his head. "Why don't we talk about this outside?"

"Oh! Yes, good idea," she agreed, eyeing the bucket as they exited the bath. Dusk felt a little disappointed their relaxing session had to be cut short, but his friends came first.

They stepped outside into Ponyville, Dusk once again wearing his hat and necklace. Fluttershy was also dressed in a wide-brimmed flowered hat with sunglasses on her face. The disguise, remarkably, seemed to work, as nopony mobbed her again.

Twilight was the first to speak up. "I was just thinking. If you really don't like being a model, you could always quit."

"Oh, no. I could never do such a thing. Rarity would be devastated."

"But Rarity told me... "

At this point, Pinkie Pie burst out of an apple cart. She glared at Twilight, chewing on an apple in a menacing way by way of warning. Dusk watched her warily as they continued on.

"Do you think her Pinkie sense warns her about secrets about to be given away?" murmured Dusk to Twilight.

"I wouldn't put it past her," she replied, looking rather frustrated at Pinkie's vigilance.

" Oh, if only all these ponies didn't like me so much. Photo Finish wouldn't want me to model anymore. She'd find somepony else with... the magic!" she gestured dramatically.

"I suppose so… wait…" That got his mind spinning. "Possibly… maybe we could… yes, that's it!" He faced Twilight, who had the same look on her face as he did. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"I think I might be," she said excitedly.

"What? What is it?" Fluttershy was looking from one to the other, unsure as to how to react.

"Well," began Twilight, "On your own, you can't do anything unattractive…"

"…but if Twilight and I use our magic to make you do something unattractive…"

"…no-one would want you to model anymore…"

"…meaning you can go back to normal!" finished Twilight, with a big grin to Dusk. "And I won't have to-"

"Exactly!" Dusk cut her off before she could say that bit next. "How does that sound?"

"That sounds like a good plan… do you really think it'll work?"

"Of course it will, trust us," assured Twilight.

"Okay, I trust you both. I'm going to get home, before anypony notices me. My next catwalk is tomorrow so…

"We'll see you then," promised Dusk with a smile, as she walked off tentatively. Once she had gone, Twilight let out an audible sigh.

"I really hope this plan works. Keeping both their secrets is hard, especially when just telling each other how they feel would fix this. Now, we can't even say."

"Quite a dilemma," agreed Dusk. "Don't worry, together we can pull this off. Come on, let's go and ask Pinkie what she thinks of this."


"You really think it'll work?" asked Fluttershy on the day of the photo shoot. Both Dusk and Twilight were standing backstage, which they managed to gain access to as friends of Fluttershy, waiting to act on their part.

"They love you for being you. So all we have to do is make you not be you."

"Just leave it to us," Dusk put in.

"Okay. Thank you, both of you…" Taking in a deep breath, she walked out to face the cameras and the ponies waiting for her. Once she was out on stage, Dusk and Twilight moved into action.

Using magic, both levitation and behavioural spells, they made Fluttershy as unattractive as possible. Dusk did things like make her slide along the floor, trip over and walk upside-down, whilst Twilight made her pick her nose, bark and scratch like a dog and talk like a mule.

Dusk hated doing this to Fluttershy, making her look so ridiculous and undignified. He kept telling himself that it was for her own good and that she would ultimately benefit from it. At least it was working, as the crowd was now starting to boo and hiss at her display.

The two of them exchanged a smile. Their plan was working, it would just need a little more-

"Bravo! I say bravo!" That was Rarity! She was actually cheering for Fluttershy, despite all that she had said, even if this was an opportunity to see her career end. "Such attitude! Such pizzazz! She's invented an entirely new kind of modelling! Bravo!"

"No!" Twilight despaired, as the crowd actually began to cheer and clap for her. They met her in her dressing room, where she looked more distressed than ever.

"This is awful. Just awful! Somehow I've become more popular than ever. Oh, I'm so frustrated I could just kick something!" She did so, but the offending vase merely wobbled without falling.

"I'm so sorry, Fluttershy," Dusk said to her sadly.

"It's okay Dusk, you and Twilight both tried your best." She sighed again. "If only Rarity didn't want me to be a model so badly…"

"But Rarity...!" Twilight shoved a hoof in her mouth, just as Rarity burst into the dressing room.

"Fluttershy! Are you all right?"

"I'm great!" she said in a strained voice. "I'm a super famous fashion model. Why wouldn't I be great?"

"Because you ha...!" Twilight shoved both hooves in her mouth, gazing desperately at Dusk.

"Don't worry, just a little longer," Dusk whispered to her. Out of instinct, he glanced around for Pinkie.

"Out there on the runway," continued Rarity, "everyone was turning on you and... Oh... oh, Fluttershy. It's so awful. I wanted them to."

"You did?!"

"Of course she did! Because...!" Now it was fruit from a basket that she used to muffle herself.

" I'm jealous!" admitted Rarity. "I wanted all the attention. And instead it was going to you. I even started hoping that you would do something silly so your modelling career would be over. But then, when it started happening, all I could think was how could I want you to fail at something you love so much?"

"But... Fluttershy doesn't... Ugh!" Barely able to contain herself, she shoved her head in a plant pot, Dusk completely at a loss as to what to do. Thinking some truths were about to be revealed, he simply sat back and watched the two of them.

"Love? Oh, Rarity. I hate being a model." she finally said.

"You do?"

"More than anything."

"Then why did you keep doing it?"

"I was afraid if I quit, you'd be mad at me for not wanting to... "shine all over Equestria"."

"And I thought if I told you how jealous I was of your success, you'd think I was a terrible friend."

" Never!"

Watching the whole thing, Dusk couldn't help but chuckle a bit, earning a curious glance from both of them

"What?" asked Rarity.

"Nothing," Dusk said. "It's just the irony that, if you had just been honest with each other, rather than keeping your feelings secret, this might never have happened."

"I suppose… it was rather silly of us," Fluttershy admitted with a giggle.

"I promise never to keep my feelings in secret again."

"Me too. " Then, they both vowed simultaneously. "Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye."

"You were brilliant. Brilliant!" Photo Finish had just arrived on the scene, beside herself with excitement. "I've already got six photo shoots lined up for tomorrow aloon."

"I'm sorry, Photo Finish, but I don't think I'll be able to make any of them," said Fluttershy with a smile.

"Wat?"

Mimicking Finish, both Rarity and Fluttershy said, "We go!" Laughing all the while, the two of them left, leaving only Finish, Dusk and Twilight, who still had her head in the plant pot.

"Vat has just happened?" asked the photographer unsurely.

"Spike has a crush on Rarity!" Twilight covered her mouth as she realised what she had blurted out, just as Pinkie Pie appeared… in the mirror.

"And you were doing so well," she said disappointedly.

"Okay, how did you even manage that?" Dusk demanded at last.

She looked around the mirror, then shrugged. "I dunno." Dusk sighed, gestured to Twilight and the two of them followed Rarity and Fluttershy out. "Hey! How do I get outta here?!"

The following day, the four of them all decided to have a trip to the spa to celebrate Fluttershy's end to her hated career. Her photos were still on magazines, but she'd drop out of popularity soon enough, when there were no more new pictures to take.

Dusk and Fluttershy were relaxing in the big bath tub, whilst Twilight was in one of the smaller Jacuzzis. Rarity was in a seaweed wrap with cucumbers over her eyes in the steam room, where Spike was fanning her as she lay there. Dusk would have pointed out that fanning her was pretty much pointless, as it eliminated the point of a steam room, but he seemed to be enjoying it, so he said nothing.

"It's good to have you back Fluttershy," Dusk said to her in the big hot tub.

"Thank you, it's nice to be back." She sighed and sank in deeper. "Now this is a wonderful way to spend an afternoon."

"Isn't it, though?" Rarity agreed.

"No arguments here," said Dusk, as he too just lay back and enjoyed the feeling of having no stress or worries.

Twilight, at this point, began to recite her report to the Princess. "Dear Princess Celestia, being a good friend means being able to keep a secret. But you should never be afraid to share your true feelings with a good friend. Did you get all that, Spike?"

"No. I did not." He lowered his voice so only he, Twilight and Dusk could hear. "I still can't believe you told someone about my secret feelings for Rarity."

"You're right. That was wrong of me and I'm very sorry."

"Apology accepted," he said happily.

"Now will you take down my letter to Princess Celestia?"

"I would love to. But... I'm a little busy at the moment." He resumed his fanning of Rarity, as Twilight sighed and rolled her eyes.

At this point, Dusk had a thought. Both Fluttershy and Rarity had kept their feelings hidden, when the easier solution would have been to be honest with each other in the first place. Could it be the same with him and Twilight? Could they harbour the same feelings of affection, but they were just too scared to say anything.

In the end, he shrugged mentally. Now wasn't the time to be taxing his mind with such dilemmas. Now was a time to wind down, forget his troubles and just relax. It was actually quite nice anyway.

Besides, he wasn't ready to tell her his feelings. Not yet, anyway…