• Published 7th Feb 2013
  • 8,418 Views, 297 Comments

Brand New Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



Book II. Returning once more with new determination, new goals and a new hat, Dusk is ready to see what the magic of friendship can offer... and perhaps much more.

  • ...
9
 297
 8,418

A Dog and Pony Show

A knock on the door of the library distracted Dusk from the work he was doing, spilling ink all over the parchment he was writing on, a key for the library for book locations. Clearing it away with a spell, he controlled the feelings of annoyance that he had, as he opened the door. They vanished completely when he saw who it was.

"Rarity! Great to see you!"

"Hello Dusk, isn't it a fine day?" She seemed positively abuzz with excitement, barely able to contain it. "May I come in?"

"Certainly," he invited, stepping aside to let her pass. "You seem happy about something. Are frills back in fashion this year?"

"Even better!" She gave a squeak of delight, but conformed herself. "I've just been tasked by Sapphire Shores, and I mean the Sapphire Shores, to make outfits for her concerts!"

"Great, good for you," he said. "So, what are you here for? I take it this isn't just a social call."

"Indeed. I need some assistance gathering gemstones for her outfits and I was wondering if Spike would like to help me?"

"I'm sure he'd be happy to. We're just about to break for lunch anyway, so he should be free." He rounded to the stairs and called: "Spike, somepony here to see you!"

"Go away! I'm napping," came the sleepy reply.

"It's Rarity!" Dusk felt a wind rush by him and Spike was there in the blink of an eye. That was quick...

"Dusk, what's going on?" Twilight had also come downstairs, as Rarity explained what was going on to Spike, who had eyes for nopony else.

Once they were both done explaining the situation to one another, Twilight said that of course it was okay with her, just as long as they were careful. Rarity was very grateful to them both and promised that they would be.

"It's just a shame you can't come with us to lunch," Twilight said to her.

"I'm sorry Twilight. I know we made plans to eat together today, but this is simply too important. Sapphire wants these dresses made as soon as possible, and I need an ample supply of gems to get started."

"It's okay, I'm sure the others will understand." She waved them off from the door. "Be careful out there!"

"We will. Have fun, you two," she called, passing Dusk a quick knowing wink, before setting off with the baby dragon in tow.

Dusk felt his cheeks become a little hotter. A quick glance showed him that Twilight's cheeks were also a little pink. Did she pick up Rarity's meaning from the wish and the wink? Or was it just hot today?

Since asking Rarity for her advice, Dusk had taken it to heart and continued to just be himself around Twilight, as she'd told him to. He had sort of mumbled out a compliment at one point on how... lovely she looked one time, but he didn't think she'd heard him. He still needed to pluck up more courage before trying that again. He still asked himself that question sometimes, when he was lost in his thoughts...

Could something actually happen between them?

"Dusk? Dusk, are you listening?" Twilight's voice snapped him out of his thoughts. "Deep thinking again?"

"Yeah... sorry."

"It's fine, it just makes you, you. Well Dusk, as I was saying, are you ready to go to lunch with me?" she asked him.

"Let's see...trilby: check. Good-luck charm: check... I'm ready."

"Good to see you keep things in order," she remarked. "Off to lunch together then... I mean," she stammered suddenly, "not together together just... with each other. Not like that I mean. To meet the others because... well, it's not like this a... a date or anything, I'm not saying it is...I-"

"Twilight, it's fine, I know what you meant." He raised an eyebrow at her. "Are you okay?"

"Oh... um yes, I'm fine. Let's go..." Not saying anything else, she walked off, with Dusk wondering what all that had just been about... and what it meant.

"Mmmmm, that was a yummy lunch," Pinkie remarked, as they left the restaurant. "I love hay, apple and cupcake pizza!"

"Pinkie, how can you have cupcakes on a pizza?" asked Rainbow, disgusted.

"'Cause, cupcakes are great with anything!" she replied. "We should do it again sometime!"

"Yeah, maybe you could have cookies on your pizza next time," Rainbow said sarcastically.

"Hey, that's not a bad idea. Good thinking Dashie!"

"What? Bu-bu-but I... I mean you- ugh, never mind!"

Dusk burst out laughing with the others at the utter bewilderment on Rainbow's face from Pinkie's agreement on that decision. Coming out for lunch had been worth it, just for that. How had he ever made it through a day without these girls before?

Twilight had remained silent during most of their walk over there, but she must have come to some kind of resolution on her own, for she was soon back to talking to him and the others. Dusk was still pondering her odd behaviour before and what might have caused it. He would consider it more later because, for now, he just wanted to enjoy the time with his friends.

"It's just too bad Rarity and Spike couldn't join us," said Dusk, once the laughing subsided.

"It is," agreed Twilight, "but this is a pretty important client that she has. I mean, it is Sapphire Shores."

"Yep, this oughta be a big burst in business fer her," pointed out Applejack.

"How long did they say they would be gathering gems for Shore's costume?" asked Dusk. "I hear it can be dangerous up in that rocky forest..."

"Oh my, I hope they don't get in any trouble," fretted Fluttershy.

"Don't worry," comforted Dusk, "I'm sure they can look after themselves. Just depends how long they're up there."

"Eh, she said it would take a good few hours," answered Rainbow. "Should be good for Spike, alone all that time with Rarity."

"Yeah... I still don't get how that works," pondered Dusk aloud.

"Whaddya mean sugarcube?"

"Well... it's just... how can-"

"AGGGH!" They all turned to see Spike running towards them, looking frantic. "Rarity! Woods! Jewels! Dogs! Hole! Taken! Save her!"

They all exchanged confused glances with each other, as Spike began to hyperventilate. Dusk, knowing what to do, rushed forward to calm him down. Something had happened that had triggered this panic attack, something to do with Rarity.

"Spike, calm down, breath. I need a paper bag! Anypony got a paper bag?"

"Sure!" Pinkie walked over to a bush and pulled one out. "I have these stashed all over town, in case of paper bag emergencies."

Not having time to dwell on this random statement, Dusk took the bag and handed it to Spike, who started to breath into it and waved frantically in the direction of rocky forest, where he had just come from. If Rarity was in trouble, they needed to hurry.

Dusk levitated him onto his back swiftly and turned to the others.

"Come on, Rarity might be in trouble."

"Really? What gave that away?" Rainbow said sarcastically.

"I think it was Spike's panicked way that he mentioned Rarity, Dashie," said Pinkie. "You gotta pay attention more."

"UGH! I was being... ugh, never mind, let's just get up there..."

"Exactly. Spike, once you can breath again, fill us in on the way." Dusk let Twilight take the lead, as they all set off towards the forest.

Dusk couldn't help but feel worried for Rarity. The Diamond Forest wasn't as bad as Everfree, but there were still meant to be dangers lurking up there, just as unique to the area as the creatures of Everfree were. He just hoped that it wouldn't be anything too bad.

All the while, Spike was breathing into the paper bag on his bag, sweating, his eyes wide. Luckily, the baby dragon wasn't all that heavy, so Dusk could still easily gallop ahead of the others. He checked to see if Spike was okay to breath and, fortunately, Spike calmed down, enough to give them the full story.

"Rarity and I were in the woods looking for jewels when these creepy guys showed up."

"Creepy guys?"

"They called themselves the diamond dogs. They grabbed Rarity and disappeared down a hole in the ground."

"Well, that sounds mighty easy," said Applejack optimistically. "Jus' take us ta that their hole and we'll save Rarity."

"I wouldn't be too sure..." Dusk murmered quietly. He'd never heard of these 'diamond dogs', but he was sure they'd be bad news. He just hoped they'd be able to save Rarity in time before they might do anything. They neared the edge of the diamond plane and screeched to a halt and gasped.

As Dusk suspected, there were dozens of holes littering the landscape, making it impossible to tell which hole was the right one to venture down to find Rarity. Like regular dogs, these guys seemed to be rather good at digging and it showed. The dogs must have known they were coming and created all of these holes to confuse them.

"Holy moly, that's a lotta holeys," noted Pinkie.

"Dusk, can you use your puppets to see which one she went down?" asked Twilight.

"Hold on..." He conjured Rarity's form in the air. It cantered from hole to hole, apparently unable to decide which one to go down. Eventually, it stopped in mid-air, collapsed and faded. "No... there's too many possible points of entry, I can't pin it down..."

"It was a good try," bolstered Twilight. "Looks like we're doing this the old-fashioned way. Come on everypony."

They each took a hole, peering down into the murky darkness. Dusk could barely see a few feet before him, it was so dark. He leaned in closer, sure that he saw something glinting in the dark... a pair of eyes. A little closer...

WOOSH!

He was forced backwards, as a jet of earth sprayed him in the face, covering his face in a mud mask. He looked around to see other holes getting the same treatment, being filled up to prevent access. They needed to get down one before they all filled.

Pumping his legs as fast as he could, he galloped to the nearest one and tried to dive down it. He made it down it, but was shot back out by another jet of dirt from the underground. He hurried to another, but received the same treatment. They were being filled too quickly, they wouldn't make it!

All around him, he could see the girls all trying and failing to get into the holes. Fluttershy was too timid to take a risk, Pinkie tried bouncing down one but was ejected, Applejack attempted to force against the dirt jet, but was beaten out. Even Rainbow tried zooming down one, but stopped at the last minute.

"It's too late... they're all filled up," said Dusk dejectedly.

"Huh. Heavens to Betsy," remarked Applejack. "Now ah'm used to pickin' maself up and dustin' maself off, but Rarity won't even touch mud 'less it's imported."

"Poor Rarity..." despaired Twilight. They all gazed upwards, no doubt picturing what horrible fate Rarity was suffering right now. Dusk felt ashamed that he had given up so quickly... that was the old Dusk, not the new one.

"Well, I say we don't give," he proposed, raising his voice a little. "No time for considering what might be, we need to move."

"Dusk is right," agreed Applejack. "We gotta save her!"

"But they blocked up all the holes," reminded Fluttershy.

"Don't mean we can't dig 'em out. Come on!" Inspired by this, Dusk leaped on top of a dirt mound and set to work.

As was known to all, he wasn't much in the way of anything physical. He was relatively skinny and weedy by his own judgement, even a little under-sized compared to most stallions, but he still had the strength to dig. They'd be through in no time, they just had to keep at it.

Suddenly, something grabbed his tail, lifted him up and threw him off the mound, smacking into the floor. He looked to see a diamond dog, grinning and waving at him mockingly. He tried to jump at it, but it vanished back into the ground, causing him to smack into the mound. He ran for another mound, but a furry leg tripped him up and made him fall.

They were doing all they could to dig in the holes, but the dogs just kept getting in their way, distracting them, tripping them, grabbing tails, tricking them at every turn. they were toying with them, like playground bullies. Soon, they were all exhausted from the spectacle, panting on the ground.

"They're not... not letting her go without a... a fight," panted Dusk, forcing himself to stand.

"Oh, those scary monsters popping up everywhere," said Fluttershy. "Oh, poor Rarity must be terrified..."

"Exactly. That's why we need to find her, and fast," Dusk said, snapping them out of their reverie. "We're not going to let a bunch of furry mongrels beat us."

"It's good that you keep your determination Dusk, but we're still getting beaten by them," pointed out Twilight. "What are we gonna do?"

"We need a new strategy," answered Dusk. "Brute force isn't working, the dogs are cunning and devious. We need to beat them at their own game... somehow..."

"I got it!" declared Spike, pulling out a gem and grabbing a fishing pole. "I'll save you, my sweet!"

As he hurried towards an uncovered hole, the girls all exchanged confused looks. Dusk too was a little bewildered by this... but his sharp mind quickly went to work, and he soon realised Spike's plan, giving a sound of recognition and moving quietly to the dragon.

He didn't say anything out-loud, but these diamond dogs must have taken Rarity for her gem finding spell. If Spike were to use this gem as bait to draw them out, they'd be able to follow them to where ever they were keeping their friend.

"Spike, it is very noble of you-" Spike shushed Twilight abruptly at that. She continued more quietly, "to sacrifice the gem Rarity gave you."

"Oh, Lady Rarity. My damsel in distress... I shall save you." He gazed into the middle distance, no doubt indulging himself in a romantic fantasy. However, he became a little too immersed and made kissing gestures towards Dusk.

"Hold on there, Spike. I'm not that kind of stallion," said Dusk, snapping him out of it. Spike barely had time to look abashed, when there a fierce tug on the line.

"Whoa! Whoa whoa whoawhoawhoa..." Spike was being dragged towards the hole. "I got a bite! I got a bite!"

He was on the edge of the hole about to be dragged down. Applejack grabbed onto his tail, trying to pull him back, but she was being dragged down too. Twilight hurried forwards, adding her own strength, but that still wasn't enough.

"Twilight!" Dusk grabbed her tail, digging his hooves in as much he could. The dog, however, was very strong and began pulling him in too. He heard Rainbow shout his name, grab hold of his tail, followed by Fluttershy and lastly Pinkie, as they were all dragged down into the dark.

Holding on to each other's tails for dear life, they let themselves be dragged along on their rumps. Dusk felt the air rushing by him, could see the vast expanses of tunnels and caverns around them. They soared over a gorge, making his stomach rush up to his throat from the force.

They reached a hole in the tunnel and dropped down, letting go of the tail of the pony in front, falling towards the earth. Dusk ended up landing on top of Twilight, eliciting a groan from her.

"Oh my gosh!" He jumped off and helped her up. "I'm so sorry Twi I-I-... I didn't mean to land on you."

"I'm fine, don't worry," she assured, as she stood up, her cheeks flushed. "Thank you... for trying to save me."

"Oh hay..." He rubbed the back of his head. "You'd have done the same for me..."

"I know but... all the same. Thanks."

"You're welcome..."

They stood there for a moment, just gazing at each other, all else just being blanked out of existance. Dusk felt that rushing feeling again, even though he was no longer falling. Did Twilight feel it too? He couldn't tell... She seemed to be torn between two things, but he couldn't tell what. It was like... she wanted to return his gaze, but couldn't. Why was she-

"Haha! It worked! We're in!" Spike's voice snapped them out of it and they began to look at anything, other than each other. "Now we can finally save Rarity!"

"Um..." Twilight was still blushing, as she looked around. "Which way do we go?"

Dusk could see what she meant. There was next to no clear indication of where they should go, with various tunnels and shafts leading goodness knows where. The diamond dogs had certainly been busy. But, unlike up above, there wasn't as many possible points of entry to choose from. They could only go down, deeper into the ground.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" screamed Spike.

"Calm down, calm down," Dusk shouted over him. "You're forgetting who you're with." With a wink, he conjured a Rarity puppet. This time, it cantered down a tunnel, waiting for them. "Result."

"Great work Dusk." Spike hopped onto his back. "Come on! We're coming, Rarity. We'll save you. Just hold on."

Together, the galloped off down the tunnel, following the white and purple light that shone from the Rarity puppet, as it led them through the humid, dank tunnels. Dusk led the way, Spike bobbing up and down on his back.

All the while, he wondered about Rarity. The diamond dogs could be a cruel, ruthless bunch, once they had a way of digging up the gems that they so craved. He didn't know what exactly they would be doing to Rarity, but he knew it couldn't be anything good. This knowledge put an extra boost in his sprint, like it did when he was tracking them in Everfree, saving them from the Paraserpent's coils. Fortunately, the dogs were nothing like that vile beast.

The puppet shone brighter, indicating they were getting close. Soon, they could hear sobbing, as they emerged into a clearing in the caverns. Ahead was a rusty metal gate, from where the crying was originating.

"She must be in there! Let's go!" declared the always brave Rainbow.

Before he could, however, Dusk felt something else land on his back and felt cold chains being fastened around him. He looked to see more diamond dogs, heavily armoured brutes, on the backs of the girls. Two others converged on him, wrapping him in the chains and trying to drag him away, as he tried to struggle free.

"More workhorses!" grunted the one from Fluttershy's back. "Take the stallion first, he stronger than mare."

"Hey! Sexist jerk!" Rainbow yelled. "Let him go!"

"Dusk, no!" His eyes locked with Twilight's, as she watched him being dragged off.

"Ho, doggies," said Applejack dangerously. "If ya can take this bull ba the horns, ya better be ready fer a ride." Then, like a bull at a rodeo, she proceeded to try and buck off her rider, as the others joined in.

Dusk thought about trying that, but that would still leave the other two he had to deal with. He had virtually no experience in fighting, he'd never been in a fight in his life. The Paraserpent hardly counted, for he had run for most of that one. He couldn't do this alone!

But the girls were preoccupied right now. He was on his own, for now at least. Calming himself, his mind began to work away, formulating a battle plan. The world seemed to slow around him, as he looked over the scene.

Okay, so, three dogs. Two holding the chains, one on his back. They were in a hurry, the chains were still rather lose, he could struggle free if necessary. With some effort, he would be able to buck off the one on his back. The other two would need to be distracted. They lived underground, so they didn't like bright light all that much. A light flare! Then, just chase them away.

"Move pony!" ordered the one on his back, who was crushing Spike.

"Very well, as you wish. Spike, shield your eyes!" This would drain his strength, but if he kept it quick... he shone a bright white ball in the cavern.

He heard them whimper and yelp, as they staggered back and covered their eyes. They loosened their grips on the chains and on his back. Feeling a little weaker from the effort, Dusk bucked off the one on his back with one jolt, sending him flying into the wall and wriggled out of his bonds. Running on adrenaline now, he returned his attention to his remaining opponents, who had now recovered.

The world slowed again as he looked them over. Big, armoured and tough, those were their strengths. Weaknesses, they were heavy, most weight concentrated near the top. Armour was weak below the waist, adding more weight to their upper bodies. With enough force, they could be tripped over.

One of them charged at Dusk, throwing all of his considerable weight forward and raising his arms to strike. Dusk dived to the left, dodging the blow and hearing a crash as he hit the wall. Dusk turned, seeing the back of his knee as a weak point. He gave it a hard kick, causing the dog to buckle. He then ran up its back, kicked off the dog's helmet and slammed a rock down on it with a levitation spell, making him dazed.

The other dog charged too, his own arm raised to hit him. He levitated the chains up to him, spun them like a bandoleer and threw them at his legs, tying them up and making him trip. Dusk jumped off, as he bought his fist down on his companions head, the two of them falling to the ground in a heap.

Dusk couldn't believe it. He'd done it! He'd come out on top. The one he'd bucked off was watching the whole thing, looking rather tentative. Dogs: strong in packs, weak alone. Feeling guilty for having to hurt them anyway, Dusk looked to the remaining one, who stared dumbstruck.

"Look, I don't want to fight you," he said to him, "but if you do attack me, I... I won't hesitate to defend myself."

With a yelp, the diamond dog grabbed his friends and ran off with the others, whom the girls had bucked off now, as Dusk tossed his rocks at them, ensuring they kept running.

"Yeehaw!" cried Applejack in triumph. "Git along, lil' doggies!"

"Sorry, but you left me little choice!" Dusk called after them. Then he turned to see that they were all staring at him. "What?"

"Whaddya mean, 'what'?" said Applejack admirably. "Ya took on both-a them dogs an' beat 'em down faster than a cowpony on a bull at a rodeo!"

"I just er... made it up as I went along..." he mumbled.

"Really? Then... that's incredible!" Twilight praised. "You just beat them using your wits?"

"Um... I guess..."

"Dusk, that was amazing!" She smiled at him, clearly impressed.

"Yeah, where'd you learn to fight like that?" asked Rainbow.

"Um... I just er... improvised, I guess you could say," mumbled Dusk again. "It was a matter of... quick thinking and analysis of my enemies..."

"Well, it sure as hay worked," noted Applejack. "Talk about not judgin' a book by it's cover."

"Yeah, you look way too weedy to even throw a punch." Everypony glared at her. "What? I'm just saying..."

"No, she is right, I'm not exactly physically intimidating," said Dusk truthfully.

"I meant it in a good way," rectified Rainbow. "They thought they could take you and you sent 'em off, tails between their legs. That's pretty cool."

"I suppose... perhaps..." He cleared his throat. "Now, I believe we have a lady in distress to save."

A loud clanking from behind the door reminded them of their purpose. Dusk heard a breaking of rock and looked to see Spike, holding a sharp stone like a lance from his back. He sighed as he predicted what was coming. This would be a little humiliating but...he would want his chance to be the hero and Dusk wouldn't deny him that. He could a least go along with it. Might be fun...

"I'm coming for you, my lady," he cried like a knight of old. "Hi-ho, Dusk! Away!"

"Aye, Sir Spike! We ride!" Dusk whinnied, kicking his front legs in the air and charged forward, his head bowed low. The door, weak from rust corrosion, shattered on contact as he ran at it with all his strength

"Lady Rarity, I'm here to save you!" declared Spike. They were both, however, surprised as three diamond dogs, the leaders by their dress, hurried up to them, begging them to take away Rarity.

"Um... pardon me?" Dusk asked unsurely.

"So picky."

"And critical."

"She won't stop talking."

"And crying."

"We, uh, give her back. Yes."

Relief spread through Dusk, as behind them came, quite unharmed, unblemished and wheeling a cart full of gems behind her, Rarity. She wore quite a satisfied, triumphant smile on her features, walking as if she'd just left a garden party.

"Rarity! You're safe!" Spike jumped off Dusk's back and hugged her.

"Why, yes. Hello, girls and to our fine gentlecolt friend as well," she added to Dusk. "You are just in time to assist me."

"Assist ya with what?" asked Applejack.

"With those." She gestured with her head, indicating five carts stacked with gemstones, glittering in the light from the torches.

"You're letting us leave with all these... jewels?" Spike's mouth was watering at the sight of them.

"Yes. Take them. And her with them," begged one of the dogs.

"Please!" added his friend.

Still quite amazed as to how she had managed this, each of the girls took a cart (Dusk insisted on moving one for Twilight, despite her protestations) and found their way out of the tunnels and back into the open air, as the sun was beginning to set in the west.

"I can't believe you got all these gems!" squealed Pinkie.

"Heh. I can't believe you tricked all those dogs," said Rainbow.

"Just because I'm a lady doesn't mean I cannot handle myself in a sticky situation," Rarity told them smartly. "I had them wrapped around my hoof the entire time."

"I can't wait to write to Princess Celestia to tell her what you taught me today," said Twilight, who was walking beside Dusk.

"Me? What did I teach you?"

"Just because somepony is ladylike doesn't make her weak," she explains. "In fact, by using her wits a seemingly defenseless pony can be the one who outsmarts and outshines them all. Or his wits," she added, glancing at Dusk.

"I um... wouldn't say that," said Dusk, blushing again.

"Come on Dusk, you were great back there and you know it." She herself had a slight blush now. "It was... quite brave of you."

"Really?" He considered this, then smiled. "I um... I suppose it was, wasn't it?"

"Hm... "Outshines" is right." Spike was sitting in Rarity's cart, snacking on gems. "Now you have enough gems to cover Sapphire Shores's costumes."

"Not if you eat them all, Spike," she said, levitating it just as he tried to take another bite.

As everypony laughed at the spectacle, Dusk thought that maybe they were right. Just give him a few minutes to think and he would be able to handle himself in a fight... perhaps. Maybe it was just luck... or quick wits.

He shrugged mentally, chuckling to himself. Ever since meeting the girls, he'd done many things he'd never have believed he could do. What next, performing on stage? No... that would never happen... would it?

Author's Note:

Ooh, I think you'll like the next one! At least, I hope so. Anyway, we'll see.