• Published 7th Feb 2013
  • 8,416 Views, 297 Comments

Brand New Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



Book II. Returning once more with new determination, new goals and a new hat, Dusk is ready to see what the magic of friendship can offer... and perhaps much more.

  • ...
9
 297
 8,416

Party of One

Dusk sat in his home, quietly flicking through the pages of a book on animal care, which he had started reading due to his home's new occupant. She was currently sitting on a perch in the centre of his living room, her head folded under her wing, a sign that she was fast asleep. He smiled fondly at her, looking so peaceful and calm, then returned to the feeding habits of owls.

Ophelia had really helped to make a difference in his home. He had named her after a character in a Shakesmare play, mainly because he thought it sounded nice and it had nothing to do with what had eventually happened to her. He'd always felt lonely at home, without any of the girls to keep him company, especially when he was used to the presence of Twilight and Spike in the library. The snowy owl was another source of companionship, as he could 'talk' to her in a sense. She just sat and listened, but he knew, somehow, that she understood him and he her, in their own way. She would bring him something if he asked her to or play with colour shapes that he made in the air for her. There was no doubt his home was improved by her presence, though he knew he'd have to be mindful of animal skeletons she'd leave from her meals.

He was bought out of his thoughts by a knock at the door. Ophelia's head shot up from under her wing and her eyes fixed on the door. He crossed over the room and opened it to reveal a pink pony dressed up like a wrapped-up gift, wearing a tin-foil hat, her pet alligator near her feet.

"Oh, good afternoon Pinkie. How may I-" He didn't get to say the rest, as she suddenly burst into song.

This is your singing telegram
I hope it finds you well
You're invited to a party
'Cause we think you're really swell

Gummy's turning one year old
So help us celebrate
The cake will be delicious
The festivities first-rate

There will be games and dancing
Bob for apples, cut a rug
And when the party's over
We'll gather 'round for a group hug

No need to bring a gift
Being there will be enough
Birthdays mean having fun with friends
Not getting lots of stuff

It won't be the same without you
So we hope that you say yes
So, please, oh please R.S.V.P
And come, and be our guest!

Once again, Dusk wasn't sure whether to shake his head in disbelief or laugh out loud at Pinkie's random tendencies. In the end, he only smiled and nodded.

"I'll be there prompt and on time, as always."

"I hoped you'd say that! Or rather, I knew you'd say that 'cause I'm getting just as psychic as you are, if you know what I mean." She gave him a knowing wink.

"If you say so." He gestured to her head. "Why the tin foil?"

"In case you used your psychic powers to tell that I'd be coming, that way I could still surprise you. Did it work?"

"You certainly surprised me," he chuckled. "Well, I'll see you at the party then."

"Great!" He blinked and she'd changed into a top hat and suit. "Now I gotta get to Rarity's and deliver her singing telegram."

"You're doing this with everypony?"

"Yes indeedy!"

"Won't that get tiring?"

"Dusk, it's me, remember?" With that, she bounced off, humming the tune of her telegram as she went, Gummy following close behind.

Dusk chuckled as he returned inside. Sometimes, friendship was worth it for little moments like that. He was rather surprised to see that Ophelia had vanished from her perch. A quick call brought her tentatively out of hiding from behind his sofa, shivering in fear.

"Aw, did she scare you?" She huddled up close to him as he stroked her gently. "You'll have to excuse Pinkie, she's like that. A lot." He looked down at her. "I don't suppose you'll want to come along to the party?" She shook her head. "I didn't think so, that's fine."

On the play date that he'd brought her along to, Gummy had tried to snap at her constantly. Pinkie explained it was his way of being friendly, but that hadn't stopped his shy pet from flying well up out of his reach. She'd probably get used to him, but for now, she wasn't overly keen on the pet reptile. So Dusk knew that he'd be heading out on his own to Pinkie's party, making time for another commitment afterward.

He checked his calendar pinned up in his kitchen, which had two dates for this month circled in it: 27th May, something he was more nervous than excited about, the Grand Galloping Gala. But before that was 24th May, Pinkie's birthday, an event that he had been part of the planning for the past month. They would be holding a meeting in the library later this evening, after the party at Pinkie's, to go over the last minute details. He just hoped that Pinkie would like it…

For now, he wouldn't worry about it. A few hours later, he placed on his trilby and necklace, made sure Ophelia was fed and set off for Sugarcube Corner. He was greeted happily by Pinkie, being told that he was the first to arrive, as he usually was. Gradually, the others all began to arrive and the party was soon in full swing. Mainly due to their constant challenges, Dusk was doing apple bobbing with Rainbow and Applejack. The latter had just successfully pulled out an apple from the watery depths.

"Yer up Dusk," Applejack told him, as she swallowed the fruit.

"Okay, here goes nothing…" He took a deep breath and plunged his head in. Just when he had to pull up for breath, he managed to grab an apple and pull it out, his mane and hat soaking wet.

"Nice one! Now, let me show you how it's really done." Rainbow was just about to dunk when Pinkie came over to greet them

"Hey, girls and guy!" They all returned her cheery hello. "Just wanted to tell you how happy I am that you can make it to Gummy's party."

"You know me, always happy to attend," Dusk said, with an incline of his head.

"Are you kiddin'? Ah wouldn't have missed it fer the world," said Applejack.

"Me neither," put in Rainbow Dash. "When Pinkie Pie throws a party, I am there!" At this point, she dunked her head in the bucket and pulled out an apple a second later. "Ta-da!"

"Aw! It's just a boring old apple. Don't worry, there are plenty of other surprises in there."

Rainbow spat out her apple at this announcement. "What kind of surprises?"

"I can't tell you that, silly. Then it wouldn't be a surprise." While his two friends were re- invigorated to start dunking at this news, Dusk decided to step away. Knowing Pinkie, they would be very interesting surprises and not ones he'd want to sink his teeth into.

The rest of the party passed by with as much fun as Pinkie's parties always did. Rarity ended up doing a spit take in Pinkie's face after she discovered that Gummy was drinking out of the punch bowl in the punch bowl, he had to help Twilight out of the wall after Pinkie knocked her into it, along with Fluttershy and they all gathered around to dance with the birthday alligator to the tunes coming out of the gramophone. After their promised group hug, all too soon it seemed, it was time to leave, just as night was falling. Dusk was exhausted, but at least he'd had fun.

"Hooie! Ah am beat! Ah haven't danced that much since…" Applejack thought for a moment. "Well, since yer last party. Thanks again fer the invite!"

"See ya later, birthday alligator!" called Rainbow Dash.

"Bravo for hosting yet another delightful soirée," praised Rarity.

Dusk nodded at that. "I couldn't have put it better myself."

"It's been lovely," agreed Fluttershy.

Pinkie was peering out of the window, watching them all leave. "You sure you don't wanna stay? There's still some cake left."

Twilight was the one who answered. "Uh, I think I'm gonna pass. Great party though. We should do this again soon." At that point, they would have all gone home.

Instead, under cover of darkness, they all walked until they were far enough from the Sugarcube Corner. Once everything was confirmed that they were all still present, they hurried to the library, being ushered quickly inside by Spike. He shut the door as the last of the group was inside and joined them at the centre of the library.

"Right, let's get everything ready," Twilight said, taking the role as leader. "Spike, display the map of Ponyville here. Dusk, I want you standing here directing our movements as I call them. Everypony else, gather around."

The two assistants did as they were ordered and stood ready as Twilight took on well her other great talent of lecturing.

"Okay, so we all know that tomorrow is Pinkie's birthday and the day of the surprise party we've planned. Let's just go over our roles one more time so that we're all ready to act." She nodded to Dusk, who conjured up seven coloured dots on the map, corresponding for their fur colour. "Right, we all have our parts to play in preparation for the party. Applejack, do you have all the food and drinks ready?"

"It's all at the farm, ah jus' need ta set 'em up," she confirmed.

"Good, that's what you'll be doing in the barn then. Spike, you can come along later in the day and help her set everything up." The dragon nodded and she continued. "The rest of us will be bringing in the rest of the supplies from around town. Rainbow Dash, you'll be bringing the balloons and streamers in your saddlebags to the farm from your location."

"You got it!" saluted Rainbow.

"Dusk, you'll be bringing the banners and the music in yours from your own home. Remember, you need to move quickly and discreetly."

"Yes ma'am," affirmed Dusk.

"Meanwhile, I'll be arranging the transport of the cake." Dusk moved her dot. "I'll be collecting it from the bakery at a prearranged time and will then bring it the Carousel Boutique, where it will be passed on to Rarity."

"I shall be ready and waiting," said Rarity.

"Once Rarity has it, she'll bring it to Fluttershy at this location near the outskirts of town and give it to her. She'll then take it to Sweet Apple Acres."

"I'll do my best," she promised nervously.

"Once we've transported our goods, we'll remain at the barn and help set everything up. We should be ready by around noon and then we'll bring Pinkie along to surprise her with the party and the operation will be a success." She pointed at Sugarcube Corner. "Make sure your route to the farm takes you as far away from here as possible, we can't risk Pinkie following one of us before we're ready. Always check that she's not following you, just in case. Any questions?" They were silent. "Then good luck everypony, see you all tomorrow. And don't forget to bring your presents."

Dusk was all set to bring his own appointed supplies to Sweet Apple Acres at the time that had been set for him. As an extra precaution, he would be having Ophelia fly up above the town to scout out the least populated route possible for him on his travel. The less ponies saw him heading in the direction of the farm, the better. He'd also arranged signals with her in case he ended up being followed by Pinkie. One couldn't be too careful.

He had only fifteen minutes to go when there was a knock at the door. Opening it, he met Pinkie, who was wearing a basket hat filled with pink envelopes.

"Hey! Just dropped by to give you this!" He levitated an invitation out, which informed him he'd been invited to Gummy's After Birthday party, at three o clock this afternoon. "We had so much fun yesterday, I thought it'd be great to do another!"

Dusk felt his stomach clench. He hadn't been prepared for this! "This afternoon? As in 'this afternoon' this afternoon?"

"Funny, that's just what Twilight said." She shrugged this away. "So, can you come?"

"Um… I wish I could Pinkie, but er…" He desperately wracked his thoughts for an excuse, figured what Twilight might have said and told her, "I need to be at the library, to help Twilight with her studies. You know how she is, always… studying. Hitting the books, you know."

"What is it with you library ponies and the mistreatment of those poor books?" She didn't wait for an answer. "Oh well, I know how important your work is. That just means more fun for the girls! Bye!"

"Yeah, heh… bye." He let out a sigh of relief as she bounced off. He didn't like lying to her… it reminded him too much of his old days…

He shook his head, clearing out those thoughts. She'd forgive him when she saw the party that they were planning for her. Realising it was close to the time, he slipped on his saddlebag and whistled for Ophelia, who soon flew out to meet him.

"You ready?" She nodded her head nervously. "It's okay, you'll do great. Remember, two hoots if you spot I'm being followed. Now, off you fly."

She hooted and took off into the sky, Dusk emerging from his home seconds later and proceeding into an action he had once been an undisputed master at: moving around without being noticed or acknowledged by anypony.

Spying Ophelia from the ground, Dusk made his way through the streets of Ponyville, his route taking him down side passages and alleyways, all of which had little to no ponies in them, just as he had told Ophelia. He moved quickly and quietly, a shadow among shadows as he had once been and now he was again. It put him in the mind of those spy novels he'd read, sneaking around undetected. Just too bad he didn't have any gadgets to help him out… he'd just have to rely on his wits, as always. There was no kind of alerts of being followed until he was close to the outskirts of town. At this point, he heard Ophelia hoot twice and he dived behind a stack of crates.

Peering out, he scanned the area behind him for anything that looked out of place or strange. An apple-cart, a few houses, a stack of hay… wait, that hadn't been there when he'd passed through this area. It would have been easy to dismiss it as just something he missed, but if it was Pinkie, he didn't want to take that chance. He had to draw her off his scent somehow and get her away from here so he could move on. But how…?

He hatched on an idea. She was far away enough, so maybe this would work. Working quietly, he made as accurate a colour puppet of himself as he could. He then sent it out of his hiding place, looking shiftily around and sent it down an alleyway nearby. A few seconds later and the haystack grew a set of four pink legs and followed it down the passage. She'd taken the bait! He edged out of his own hiding place, keeping it going as long as possible. Then he cut it off and ran away, as quickly and silently as he could.

Once he was out on a country path, he whistled for Ophelia, who met him at the side of the road.

"Good work my pet, I knew you could do it," he praised. "I'll take it from here; you can head off home now. Thanks for the help." She hooted, gave him an affectionate nip and took off back home.

Rather disappointed that he was essentially alone again, he sprinted for the farm, still keeping to as many hiding places as he could, diving and skidding behind trees and bushes along the way. Soon enough, he saw the comforting sight of Applejack's barn and made one last run for it. Reaching the door and catching his breath, he knocked out a rhythm of four, the secret code they'd arranged for him. Seconds later Applejack stuck her head out, relaxing when she saw him.

"Lil' late sugar cube," she whispered. "Run inta any trouble?"

"Pinkie started following me at one point, but I managed to throw her off and came as fast as I could."

"'Kay, jus' so long as ya weren't followed here." She ushered him quickly inside.

Everypony except Rainbow Dash and Spike had already arrived. Pinkie's vanilla cake was already on a table, as were a stack of presents, a gramophone and a table of food. He deposited his bag on the floor and pulled out the goods he had been told to transport, placing his present for Pinkie on the table with the others. Once he had pulled out the banners, he set to work helping the others set everything up for the party

"Glad to see you made it Dusk," Twilight said to him.

"As am I. I almost didn't though," he mentioned, levitating the end of a banner up to a rafter.

"Did Pinkie come around to your house with an invite for Gummy's after birthday party?" she asked.

"Yes, but I was able to come up with an excuse." He gave her a knowing smile. "I told her that I was helping you with your studying."

"How did you know what excuse I made?" she asked, astonished at this.

Dusk tapped the side of his head. "I know you well, Twilight, as you know me. I suppose I was lucky that you did make that excuse in that sense."

"I suppose it was." She also offered him a warm look, apparently touched at how well he knew her. "Come on, let's back to it."

"Right you are." He reached for another banner and accidentally touched her hoof, as she went for the same one. It was only a brief moment of contact, but he felt a surge up his leg as they both jumped away.

"Sorry!" he cried.

"My fault!"

"I mean… I just-"

"I was er… just going to-"

"I didn't mean to… um-"

"Neither did I but I… I…" They stopped and stared at one another.

It only now just occurred to Dusk how, recently, Twilight had been acting a little differently around him. She had been kinder, more gentle and friendly, nothing too big, but enough that he noticed. Whenever she blushed or seemed to be considering romance, she let herself do it for longer rather than apparently stop herself. That close moment that they'd shared at the telescope, her asking him if he wanted to star gaze with her and just now, their hooves touching.

Would it be too much to hope that, after all this time, all this waiting, she might be having feelings for him too. It might be too soon to get his hopes up but… it was possible, wasn't it? At first, it seemed like they would allow the contact… then, the moment passed and they lapsed into an embarrassed silence, looking anywhere but at each other. He was just glad when somepony broke the awkward atmosphere.

"Well, at least neither of you had to plunge your heads into garbage cans full of filth to invent a credible excuse," put in Rarity. Was it his imagination or did she look disappointed?

"That sounds horrible," sympathised Dusk.

"That doesn't begin to describe it." She shuddered at the thought. "I can still smell it in my mane… it'll take weeks to get rid of the stench."

"What about you Fluttershy?" asked Twilight. "How did you get away?"

The Pegasus paused in the fixing in of the banner. "Oh, I and Rainbow said that we would be house sitting for a bear away on vacation."

"Ah, I see." Dusk paused to think about that. "Sorry, what?"

"Oh, well you see-" She was cut off as Rainbow Dash suddenly entered the barn, looking quite exhausted and panicked, followed by Applejack who slammed the door behind her. "Rainbow, are you okay?"

"Shh! She followed me here!" They knew full well what that mean and immediately became deathly silent.

Applejack also mimed them to be quiet. They all held their breath as they heard a fierce hammering on the barn door. "I KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE!"

Applejack opened the door a crack. "Oh! Howdy, pardn'r!"

"Mind if I… take a look inside the barn?" Pinkie asked aggressively.

"No! Uh, ah mean, yes, ah mean… ya can't come in here!"

"Rainbow Dash just went in there."

"Oh, well, she was jus' bringin' in some…" She paused, thinking of an excuse, "supplies! Yup, supplies for the… renovation! Fixin' up the whole thing, top to bottom…" The next part she said louder, addressed to the rest of them. "Uh, lots of construction goin' on in there right now!"

"You heard her! Construction!" Rainbow whispered urgently. Getting her message, they all began to mimic the sounds of various construction tools.

Dusk, though he felt foolish doing it, added extra affect by doing a rhythmic hammering of his hoof against wood, pretending that he was using a hammer. He even yelled in pain to make it sound like he'd hit his hoof with the hammer by mistake. They kept this up until they heard the sound of a door slamming and stopped to look up.

"Yup! Construction! That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it." Applejack let out a nervous laugh, then there was silence.

Once again they waited with baited breath for the verdict, the tension rising in Dusk's chest. Would Pinkie buy their story of construction or would she force her way in? She was doubtless suspicious of their activities, but it was if she was suspicious enough to investigate further. At first, Dusk thought the whole surprise party would be ruined. Then…

"Okey… dokey… lokey." They waited a few more seconds after this reluctant affirmation, before they cautiously moved to the barn door to look.

Sure enough, Pinkie was heading back down the road, Gummy riding on her back. They all breathed sighs of relief, Dusk taking a few more deep breaths to calm himself down after that close call.

"That was a lil' too close." Applejack shut the door and rounded on Rainbow. "What in the hay were ya thinkin', leadin' her back here?"

"I tried to lose her, but she was following me every step of the way!" retaliated Rainbow. "I didn't have a choice!"

"She coulda barged her way in here an' the whole shebang woulda been a scuffle!"

"Well obviously she didn't, so we're fine."

"Now, now ladies," Dusk said, stepping in before this got worse. "We got lucky this time and she didn't find us, let's be thankful for that. Let's just put this behind us, okay?"

They glared at each other for a good few minutes, then Applejack sighed. "Yer right. She didn't get in an' that's what matters. The surprise is still a surprise." She opened up the saddlebags and pulled out the balloons. "Come on, let's get back ta work."

Though there was clearly still some tension in the air from that close call from Pinkie, they all returned to getting things ready for the party. Dusk still got a little scared when he thought how close they were to having their best laid plans ruined. Anypony else would say it was just a party, but not to him. He still remembered that surprise party the girls had thrown for him, one that Pinkie had played a major role in putting together. In a way, he was helping to pay her back for that. He just hoped that she would like it.

Dusk was still considering the moment that he and Twilight had shared before. It was less awkward between them now, but they kept a respectable distance from each other since the incident. He decided that it was perhaps too much to hope that she felt anything like he did for her, as she was still mortified whenever it showed on the surface, or at least that was how it appeared to him. He still remembered that nightmare that he'd had… he didn't want to risk losing his friendship with her because of a stupid mistake. Just be patient Dusk, he told himself, be patient, you'll tell her someday when you're ready. Maybe at the Gala… maybe…

Spike arrived about twenty minutes later, a little later than he should have been. "Yeah, Pinkie pulled me in for questioning," he told Dusk.

"Questioning?" He realised what that might mean. "Oh no, tell me you didn't…"

"Don't worry, I didn't tell her a thing," he said quickly. "Not a thing, not any secrets or habits I've kept hidden, nothing at all. Nothing."

"You didn't tell her about the party then?" he asked, ignoring his rather shifty attitude.

"Nope, kept quiet about that. The secret is safe bro."

"Ah, excellent…" He let himself relax. "Good work Spike."

"Hey, you know you can count on me."

"Don't I just?" He exchanged a high hoof with him and picked up a deflated balloon. "Come on, let's get the rest of these balloons blown up and try not to incinerate them this time."

"I don't make promises," he shrugged, proceeding blow one of his own.

With all of them working together, it didn't take long for them to complete the preparations for their soiree, as Rarity would say. The balloons were inflated and floating, the presents were stacked and ready to be opened, music ready to play and cake good enough to eat. Now all they needed was the guest of honour. While the girls all got into position that was now Dusk's task to go and retrieve her from her home and bring her to the farm. Just invite her along casually and let them do the rest. It would be easy.

He reached the door of her home and knocked politely. He waited. There was no answer. Discovering it was unlocked, he pushed it open and a strange sight met his eyes. The house looked like it was set up with a party, decorated with streamers and balloons like the barn. At the centre was a table, laden with food and a cake at the end. Gathered around it, all wearing party hats, were a pile of rocks, a mass of lint, a bag of flour and a turnip. With these strangely assorted items sat Pinkie, looking a lot less bright and happy, her cotton candy mane sadly deflated and hanging limply.

Dusk couldn't help but feel wary. Something about this didn't feel right. "Good afternoon Pinkie. I hope you're well."

"Oh yeah, just swell," she said through gritted teeth. Now he felt even more uneasy.

"Well… excellent." He cleared his throat unsurely. "Anyway, I was taking a stroll down to Sweet Apple Acres and was wondering if you would like to accompany me."

She glared at him angrily. "No thanks. Should have seen that coming 'Mr Psychic Pony'. I'm spending time with my real friends. Isn't that right, Madame Le Flour?" Affecting a French accent, she gave the bag of flour a voice. "Oui! Zat iz correct, madame." Now Dusk's eyes widened in surprise. What was she-?

Then, it became clear to him. Feeling like he'd walked into a scene from a book where a mare fell into a world of chaos and madness, Dusk was beginning to understand what was going on. A delusional Pinkie had created these 'fake friends' for some reason. Was it because they'd been apparently ignoring her? The reason didn't matter, he decided, the question was how to move her in her current state. Perhaps a calmed, reasoned approach.

He slowly began to approach the table. "Look, Pinkie um… why don't you and I just pop down to the farm for a brief moment and you can come back… afterwards."

He tried to come closer but she shoved the turnip in his path and spoke in a high voice. "She's not going anywhere." Then, in her normal voice: "I most certainly am not. I'm having a wonderful time right here."

Dusk was starting to get a little scared now. "Pinkie, please, why don't you just-?"

"You heard the lady!" she cut in with the stack of rocks. "She ain't goin' nowheres, chump!"

Dusk knew this was getting out of hand. He needed to snap her out of this strange fantasy somehow… or he could use it to his advantage somehow. His quick mind soon came up with a solution, a sort of psychological approach.

First, just go along with the delusion. "Okay, I apologise Mr…?"

"Name's Rocky and don't you forget it, punk!" 'replied' the rocks.

"Right… Rocky… so," he continued, playing along, "I assume you're one of Pinkie's new… friends."

"You got that right!"

"And she's told you about myself and her old friends?"

"Yeah, she's said how you were all rude, making excuses to her and avoiding her, she knows what you're up to." Pinkie made an effect of Rocky slamming his 'fist'. "Well, we're gonna be better friends to her than you ever were."

"Exactly," Pinkie said in her normal voice. "You tell him Rocky!"

Seeing an opening, Dusk tried playing his game changer. "Well, if that's the case, wouldn't it be better to let the others know about you fine gentlemen and ladies first?"

Pinkie stared at him in wide-eyed surprise. "What?"

Knowing he was having an effect, Dusk pressed on. "Well, if these you lot are going to make better friends than we did, wouldn't it be better to tell them about you? Can you imagine how jealous they'll be when they hear about what great friends you all are? I know I would be, that's for sure."

"Monsieur does have a good point," 'put in' Madame Le Flour. "Per'aps zat would be… appropriate."

"Yeah, that'll teach them to be rude to our friend," 'added' the turnip.

"Oh, you may all be right," agreed Pinkie.

"But who should tell them?" asked Dusk. "Not me, I don't think they'd believe me, they might think I'm making it all up. That's why Pinkie should come with me to tell them personally about her decision. How does that sound?"

"No!" she screamed at once. "I'm not gonna go see them! Not after how you all treated me!"

Dusk felt guilty at this, but he kept up the act. "Really? Are you sure?"

"What do you think?" she answered bitterly. "Now, would you like some more cake Madame Le Flour?"

"If you say so, I'll just... go..." He acted out a sigh and turned to leave, then glanced back. "Mind you, I'd like to see what the rest of you might think about this. I'm just saying, it might be good for her to teach us all a lesson. Bye then."

He made his way slowly and deliberately towards the exit, keeping an ear open to listen for what Pinkie would be 'saying' to her friends. Sure enough, he threw her mind into a state of disarray, emphasized by her 'guests'.

"I hate to say, but the chump might be right," 'agreed' Rocky.

"What? You can't agree with him Rocky!" ordered Pinkie.

"Monsieur Rocky is merely saying zat he makes a good point, as I did," Madame Le Flour put in.

"I know Madame, but-"

"Indeed, I think you should go," 'suggested' the lint mass.

"I don't know Sir Lintsalot," mumbled Pinkie.

"Go on Pinkie, make zem go green with envy, zat will show zem. Do not worry, we will be right 'ere when you get back," 'assured' Madame Le Flour.

Dusk glanced back out of the corner of his eye as he reached the door. Pinkie looked like she was thinking it over, then sighed. "Dusk, wait." He did so, turning back to look at her, an expression of defeat on her features. "Fine, I'll go. But don't worry, I won't be gone long. Save me some cake!"

"Good that's good, come on," Dusk prompted gently, eager to get out of the madhouse and back to reality. He swiftly slammed the door and set off with Pinkie, who still glared at him.

"You may have got into their heads with your powers Dusky, but I'm not so easy." She leaned in close. "I'm watching you, no funny business… I'll know if you're trying to read my mind." She placed her tin-foil hat on, keeping her hard stare.

"Right you are… come along then." He let out a sigh of relief. That was no doubt the most disturbing moment of his life. He prayed that there wouldn't be any more like that or worse and led Pinkie to the farm.

He was glad when they arrived there,as the journey had been in an uncomfortable silence. He didn't like seeing the happiest member of their group looking so angry and mistrustful. It just wasn't right and he hated it, as much as he had lied to her... again. Perhaps her surprise party would perk her up to her old self. Unable to keep himself from smiling, he opened the door for her and heard a cry from everypony assembled of:

"Surprise!" Dusk looked at Pinkie but her only change was that she had become even angrier. Feeling a little scared, he backed away.

Fluttershy spoke up first. "I really thought she'd be more excited."

That blew her fuse. "Excited? EXCITED? Why would I be excited to attend my own farewell party?!"

"Farewell party?" Twilight asked, puzzled.

"Yes! You don't like me anymore, so you decided to kick me out of the group and throw a great, big party to celebrate! A "Farewell to Pinkie Pie" party!"

She slumped on the floor in a heap, Applejack crossing over to comfort her. "Why in the world would ya think we didn't like ya anymore, sugarcube?"

That sparked her rage yet again, literally leaping off her hooves and into the air. "Why? Why? WHY? Because you've been lying to me and avoiding me all day, that's why!"

"Uh, yeah! Because we wanted your party to be a surprise." At Rainbow's statement, her angry expression faltered.

"We've been planning this party for such a long time. We had to make excuses for why we couldn't attend Gummy's party, so that we could get everything ready for yours," explained Rarity.

"If this is a farewell party, why does the cake I picked up from Sugarcube Corner say, 'Happy Birthday, Pinkie Pie?'" Twilight gestured to the cake on the table.

Dusk followed Pinkie's gaze, as she looked around all of the assembled decorations and presents that they'd all set up for her. He could see the wheels turning in her head. Then, with a bright smile and a loud squeaking sound, her mane suddenly inflated again and her pink fur lightened in colour. Pinkie was back.

"Because it's my birthday!" She stretched out and pulled them all into a hug. "Ooh, how could I have forgot my own birthday?" Not for the first time today, they all sighed with relief. "And you like me so much you decided to throw me a surprise party!"

"That's what we've been trying to tell you, darling," said Rarity.

Pinkie let them go and beamed at them. "You girls are the best friends ever! You too Dusky," she added, Dusk inclining his head modestly. She then hung her own head in shame. "How could I have ever doubted you?"

Dusk was the one who moved forward to comfort her. "Think nothing of it Pinkie. Any of us might have made the same conclusion, I know I would have but… that's just me."

"Don't worry about it," added Fluttershy.

"I'm just relieved that my place hasn't been taken by a pile of rocks, or possibly a turnip," he added thoughtfully.

"Aw, you'd so be better as the rocks. A turnip's nowhere near the same league as you Dusky," assured Pinkie with her bright smile.

"Glad to hear it," chuckled Dusk, giving her another hug.

"What are you two talking about?" asked Twilight.

He and Pinkie exchanged a look. "Um… trust me, it's best you don't know."

"All right, ponies! Enough of this gab. Let's party!" Applejack turned on the music to make the declaration official and Dusk exchanged his trilby for a specialized party hat.

This party was probably just as fun, perhaps even more so, than any other previous Pinkie party he'd been to. The girls all followed each other in a conga line, which Dusk decided to leave himself out of, as it would have been rather inappropriate in his eyes and it made him blush just thinking about it. In the end, he just danced with Spike, helped himself to punch and cake and had a good time, something he always did whenever he was with his friends. At one point, Pinkie approached him during the festivities.

"Hey Dusk." She came over all ashamed. "I just wanted to say that… I'm sorry for acting all crazy. I know that must have been scary for you."

"It's okay Pinkie," he assured her. "At least you're not now and that's what matters."

"Yeah and thanks for persuading me to come along to this." She gave him a rap on the head. "You are a pretty smart cookie."

"Thanks, but remember I'm not the only one." He gestured to Twilight, who was standing across the room.

"Okay Mr Modesty." Her smile brightened. "Hey, Rarity said that she's been teaching you how to dance."

"Oh um… did she?" He was wondering if she 'mentioned' anything else, but he decided she didn't. He trusted her enough not to doubt her.

"Yep. Come on, let's see what you got!" Without waiting for his affirmation, she grabbed his hoof and pulled him into the middle of the dance floor. She was mostly frantic and erratic in her dancing, but that didn't matter to Dusk, as he just laughed along with her.

Now, another date had been crossed off on his calendar. It was rather daunting to think that it was just two nights away, the night that the girls had all been waiting for, the one they would call the 'best night ever.'

The night of the Grand Galloping Gala.