• Published 17th Jan 2013
  • 2,149 Views, 55 Comments

Doctor Whooves Episode 9: Triple Rainbow - Doctor Perseus



The Doctor and his companions arrive in the Griffin Kingdom in 1021. Here they come across a future Rainbow Dash as well as a killer from an alternate dimension with a familiar face.

  • ...
6
 55
 2,149

Dark Double

Chapter 2: Dark Double

Long's Cafe, Feathersville, The Griffin Kingdom, Gaia, Summer, 1021 C.E.

Derpy was quick to consume the muffin that Gilda had bought her from the cafe. The others munched on their respective snacks at a much slower pace. The air was surprisingly cool for a day in the middle of summer and the town of Feathersville was much quieter than Ponyville (probably because it didn't have a Pinkie Pie-esque griffin of its own).

"This town sure is peaceful," Twilight sighed as she took a sip of her iced tea.

"Just you wait! The race starts a week from today and, give it a day or two, this place will be packed with ponies from all over the world!" said Gilda.

"Question. How did you and my future self make up?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"It's a long story. Besides, I shouldn't spoil it for you."

"What's wrong with a few spoilers?"

"Ask the Doctor and he'll give you a five hour lecture about why historic spoilers are bad."

Rainbow and Gilda turned to the Doctor, who was attempting to grab his Sonic Screwdriver with his hoof for a change.

"They make holding objects with their hooves look easy! This is practically impossible!" the Doctor swore under his breath as the Screwdriver fell to the ground once again.

"Do you need help with that?" Derpy asked as she proceeded to begin teaching the Doctor how to hold objects with his hoof.

"I kind of expected to see more griffins around," said Spike.

"This town has a fair amount of residents. Lunchtime wasn't that long ago so I guess they're all napping," said Gilda.

"Excuse me," said a voice. Rainbow turned to see a male griffin standing a few feet away. "Are you Rainbow Dash?"

"That would be me," Rainbow replied.

"It's an honor to meet you! I was just wondering if I could get your autograph?"

"You want my autograph?!"

"Of course! It's not everyday that I get to meet one of the best fliers in the world!"

"In...the...world?!"

"This ain't gonna end well," Applejack whispered to Twilight. Rainbow happily signed an autograph for the griffin while also telling him the story of how she first performed the Sonic Rainboom. When the griffin left, Rainbow was practically oozing happiness.

"Don't let the fame get to your head, Rainbow Dash," Twilight warned.

"What? Since when have I ever let fame get to my head?" Rainbow asked. Everypony at the table raised an eyebrow except for the Doctor, who was pretty much left in the dark. "Right."

"I knew I'd find you here!" said a cocky voice. Rainbow the elder and Scootaloo were approaching them. "You just can't get enough of this cafe, can you Gilda?"

"What can I say? I'm in love with their desserts," Gilda replied as she shrugged her shoulders. Scootaloo approached Rainbow the younger and eyed her awkwardly.

"This is too weird!" she said.

"Tell me about it," said Rainbow the younger. She looked around towards Scootaloo's flank and noticed a cutie mark that consisted of a pair of dancing shoes. "It looks like you finally got your cutie mark."

"Oh yeah. I remember those days when Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and I used to be obsessed with finding our cutie marks. Fun times. Messy, but fun. I actually got this not too long after the whole Thalia fiasco."

"You don't say!" Applejack exclaimed.

"Doctor, can I speak with you?" Rainbow the elder asked. The Doctor nodded as he stood up. Scootaloo grabbed Rainbow the elder's foreleg but she pushed her away. She leaned in close to Scootaloo and whispered, "I just want to give him a fair warning."

The Doctor and Rainbow the elder walked a few yards away from the group and came to rest under a giant tree.

"I see Derpy's finally started training you to use your hooves," she chuckled.

"I still don't understand how you ponies do it! It's physically impossible!" the Doctor exclaimed.

"Listen, Doctor. I need to tell you something."

"What is it?"

"Something is on my mind, Doctor, and it has nothing to do with the Gailenean 1000 or anything like that."

"I could tell that something was on your mind. Gilda and Scootaloo also seem a bit shaken up about something."

Rainbow suddenly jumped as the town clock rang out to signal the arrival of one o'clock in the afternoon.

"Oh no!" she gasped.

"What's wrong?" the Doctor asked. Rainbow took off towards the cafe. The Doctor chased after her. "Rainbow Dash! What's going on?!"

"She's here! She's here! But I can stop her this time! I will stop her!"

Twilight and the others watched as the Doctor and Rainbow the elder raced past them.

"What's wrong with them?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"Something's wrong," said Fluttershy.

"Mr. Long?!" Rainbow the elder called as she burst into the cafe. The Doctor was close behind her.

"Who's Mr. Long?" the Doctor asked.

"He's the chef that works here. Remember? You bought your snacks from him."

"Well what's wrong with him?"

That's when the Doctor and Rainbow the elder smelled something. It was a dark smell. A rustic smell. The smell...of blood.

"No!" cried Rainbow as she ran around the counter. "Oh sweet Celestia! No!"

The Doctor looked around the counter and couldn't believe his eyes. The griffin chef known as Mr. Long was lying on the floor. A butcher knife was implanted right in his chest. Blood was pouring out onto the floor from the many wounds in the griffin's body. Fortunately, he was still alive...but only just. At that moment, Scootaloo walked into the cafe.

"Is something wrong, Rainbow Dash?" she asked nervously.

"Get the medics, Scootaloo!" Rainbow ordered.

"She's here isn't she? This is the sign that you told me about, isn't it?"

"Just go!"

Scootaloo nodded and raced through the front door.

"Rainbow Dash. Who did this?" the Doctor asked.

Rainbow the elder looked up at the Doctor and said, "My evil twin."

Feathersville Cemetery, Feathersville, The Griffin Kingdom, Gaia, Summer, 1021 C.E.

Blood dripped from her body. Her black cloak fluttered in the breeze. Adrenaline pumped through her veins. Her eyes were bulging and wide. A crooked smile was plastered on her face. She had enjoyed stabbing the griffin. She figured that those happy ponies outside the cafe needed some brutal excitement. She came to rest next to a particularly large gravestone. Her breaths were long and hard and her body shook with excitement. She loved doing what she had just done. She had already done it multiple times back in Cloudsdale. This town was too happy. This world was too perfect. She wanted to be back in the factory. She wanted to return to her work: making sure that all those failures were made useful. She looked at her hooves and slowly licked the blood from her hooves. She had missed that taste. She hadn't killed anypony in a long while since a lot of fillies had been good to pass the flying exams recently. She had never killed a griffin before. The taste of griffin blood was very different from the taste of pony blood. She liked the taste.

"I should start using griffins in the factory now," said Rainbow Dash with a dark laugh. She tried her best to comb her matted mane but she gave up because combing one's mane with bloody hooves never brought around good results. She rolled over onto her back and looked up towards the canopy of leaves above her. Sunlight shone through the branches and covered the cemetery in a warm, green light. She didn't like it. She preferred the dark interior of the factory. She missed the grinding of the machines, the pleas of the little failures, and the laughs of her fellow coworkers. She missed it all. It was interesting though. How did she end up here in the first place? That's what she wanted to find out. Maybe she was brought here to start a factory in this new world. "This world needs a new Rainbow Dash. The one they already have looks way to carefree. She has a job to do. Either she takes responsibility for whatever needs to be done or I'll have to take her place. The latter would be a very fun process indeed." Rainbow Dash licked her lips as she thought about all the things she could do to her happier double. The double she despised. She had looked so happy, so friendly, so lazy, and so...undignified. "Pathetic."

Suddenly, the sound of laughter broke the eerie silence. Rainbow looked over the gravestone to see two ponies, both in their late teens, walking through the cemetery. One was a unicorn mare and the other was an earth stallion.

"You excited for the race?" asked the stallion.

"As always!" chirped the mare.

"Why are we passing through the cemetery again?"

"I've heard that there's the gravestone of an old griffin war hero here. I wanted to see it."

"Isn't that it over there?"

The stallion pointed towards the gravestone that Rainbow Dash was hiding behind. They approached it and began reading the words engraved on it. The mare proceeded to take a few pictures of it.

"This world needs a new rainbow factory," said Rainbow Dash with a smile as she pulled a small knife from her cloak pocket. She then jumped out from behind the gravestone, startling the couple. The mare screamed as she noticed the knife in Rainbow's hoof and the blood dripping from her body. "I think you two will be a nice place to start!"

Rainbow smiled as she brought the knife down.