• Published 13th Jan 2013
  • 3,990 Views, 139 Comments

Faded Flame - Ink Stroke



Five years is a long time, especially after you've gotten everything you've ever wanted. Still, Spike now questions if he actually fulfilled his dreams with his alabaster marefriend, and if his dreams of lavender hold the secret to somethin

  • ...
12
 139
 3,990

Strife

~Chapter 1~

Strife

Equestria's seemingly boundless sky was awash in the exuberant hues of brilliant yellows and softly warm oranges as the setting sun retreated behind the mountainous horizon to make way for its nocturnal sister. It was a sight Spike never seemed to lose interest in, one he would silently gaze at whenever a chance arose. Of course, he'd never tell anybody about his private fascination, it'd ruin his macho-dragon appearance. His bright emerald eyes lazily traced the constellations formed by the shiniest of stars in the young night sky, barely visible behind the veil formed by the gentle purple colors of twilight.

"Twilight..."

He reluctantly tore his gaze away from the darkening heavens and walked back inside his shared bedroom from the stone balcony he'd been standing at for an amount of time even he had lost track of. Her name was a thorn in his heart that'd never left him, and it hurt him every time he would so much as think about uttering it. It carried so many memories with it, so many years of childish crusading that never failed to bring a sad, nostalgic smile to his face. He could never enjoy them like he wished he could, though.

No, he'd tried to hold on to their blissful happiness for as long as he could, countless times, but there was always one dreaded memory to crush his hopes: the day of his departure from Ponyville. The day itself unfolded rather smoothly, with more than a few tears shed by many of those who were there to see him, Rarity, and Sweetie Belle off. After that...that's when things slowly started to change.

Still, he didn't want to think about that, lest his mood deteriorate any further than it already had.

Spike had moved to the industrial semi-metropolitan boomtown of Trottingham, running the Sparkling Diamond Boutique alongside his little "family." The years he'd spent chasing after the fashion designer's heart, serving as her unofficial assistant, had given him a substantial amount of progress in the designing arts, and they proved to be invaluable over the years he had worked at his home business.

Sparkling Diamond...Sparkling...Sparkle.

He shook his head as he futilely tried to free his mind from the grip his nagging feelings had ensnared him in, each and every one of his dark thoughts painted in an array ranging from more contaminated nostalgia to an inkling of depression splattered on a canvas of longing. Five years is a very long time in itself, but it is an eternity when spent separated from your closest and most trusted companion. He'd asked himself so many times why he never set aside some time for himself, a couple of hours at least, and made the trip to Ponyville. The answer to that question was conveniently revealed a second later as a voice he had heard for every day of his life for the past half-decade called out to him.

"Spike, darling! Would you mind coming downstairs for a second?"

The adolescent drake let out a little huff before trudging past the grand four-post bed he slept in, making his way towards the staircase leading to his elegant home's first floor. So many photographed faces stared at him as he walked through a hallway completely lined with pictures, most of which were of Rarity and himself, but one framed photo stood out from all the others at the end of the hall. He forwent going downstairs for the moment, opting to instead take a closer look at the well-known photography by taking it down from the wall and cradling it in his skilled claws. He could feel the familiar sting of tears on his draconic eyes as they threatened to break free from their restraints.

A younger purple dragon smiled at him from the picture, his wide smile a testament to the unadulterated happiness in his heart as he rode Twilight's back with a letter to one of his esteemed rulers in the palm of his hand, surrounded by the five other mares that had once been a part of their tightly-knit inner circle of friends. What he wouldn't give to be able to go back to those simpler times, to leave behind the pains of the present and bask in youthful joy.

Knowing full well that Rarity would call for him again if he didn't move soon, Spike returned the nostalgic photograph to its rightful place on the wall and wiped away a stray tear before heading downstairs.

Ponyequins clad in his marefriend's magnificent creations greeted his arrival at the living room with their faceless gazes, following him with their nonexistent eyes. He shuddered at the familiar, disturbing sight of the creepy wooden constructs in the darkness of the lightless room. He'd never been able to get over their ominous appearances and would have gladly burned them all to smoldering ashes had Rarity not scolded him for even suggesting such a thing.

A bright light coming from the home's workshop pierced through the suffocating darkness of the lifeless livingroom, accompanied by the telltale sounds of the alabaster fashionista of the house hard at work. Spike gladly walked past the fabulously dressed wooden figurines, smiling a little when he spotted the teenage filly that brought in most of the excitement to their little family through her bedroom's open door. Sweetie Belle had made quite a name for herself in the short time following her cutie mark's long-awaited appearance, and the microphone with three little orbiting hearts on her flanks seemingly guaranteed that any song she broadcasted through her radio channel became a hit single. Still, fame came with its own sacrifices, and she paid for it with most of her free time, preventing her from visiting her foalhood friends back in Ponyville.

The smile on Spike's face was once again slain as he thought about the unofficial disbandment of the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

"I can relate, Sweetie Belle..." His short soliloquy went unheard by anyone other than himself. He tried to push all of his dreary thoughts away as he grew ever closer to the violet-maned unicorn, who had surely heard his heavy footsteps before he was in the workshop with her. Rarity turned away from what she was working on to greet her dragonfriend, her sapphire eyes shining with an unnatural twinkle that told Spike she was thrilled about something. He didn't get to think much more than that before she spoke to him in a voice that mirrored the excitement in her eyes.

"Ah, dear, would you please do me a favor and stand on the fitting pedestal? I've got some great news to tell you!" Spike groaned internally at the prospect of being measured again, but he supposed the little tidbit about "great news" would keep him interested enough. However, he didn't like the nervous undertone she impressively tried to hide as she spoke.

The purple drake began to ponder the unusual tint her voice carried as he stepped up onto the stand, surrounded by three mirrors reflecting his image right back at him. He grew self-conscious for a second when he looked into one of the mirrors, worried that he might have put on a couple of pounds due to his recent lack of exercise, but it was a needless worry. He was still his usual self; his belly was no bigger than it always was, his green spines were still slightly pointy, and he was still an average pony's height. He didn't understand why Rarity took his measurements every single time she wanted to make him something, especially due to the fact that a dragon's limbs would only grow due to a growth spurt, but she insisted on doing it against his whines.

"So, what's all this about good news?" Spike opted to get himself out of his pool of thoughts to gather more information from the real world, not to mention that he had become so absorbed by said thoughts that the unicorn was already halfway through her measurements. The sudden noise startled Rarity out of her work, much to her embarrassment, but she quickly caught on to the path the conversation was going to take.

"Well, you know how we've been planning to expand the business, right?" Spike noticed the minuscule droplets of nervous sweat forming on her otherwise pristine brow, leading him to think that the news she had wouldn't be all that 'Great'. He also noted how she used 'We've' instead of 'I've' when she spoke, it was a little detail that had pestered him throughout the years. Whenever a decision had to be made, or plan of action created, it always went the direction Rarity wanted. She decided that they had to move to Trottingham to improve their business, she was the one to select the house they lived in, she was the one that got to name the boutique itself. All of these things just let Spike be reminded of the one of the most fatal flaw his perfect happiness had.

He had little to no say in whatever was done in the relationship.

"I guess so, why do you ask?" he just hoped that whatever it was that the unicorn had in stock wasn't anything he would have any trouble with. He seriously didn't want to be reminded about his submissiveness in the family's decisions. Rarity began to fumble with her hooves as she gave off a nervous chuckle, just her chuckling was enough to let Spike know that something was up.

"I decided to purchase that building in Canterlot," the dragon being measured froze at that point, barely containing what he had to say as he let the mare continue, "the movers said we could get everything we need over there by next week if we start packing by Wednesday."

Rarity misinterpreted Spike's silence, thinking that he didn't see the move as being that bad. Of course, she didn't notice his clenched teeth or the look growing in his emerald eyes, so she didn't expect the harsh undertone lining what he said next.

"Rarity...when did you do this." the unicorn was caught off guard by being put on the spot by the dragon, and the question was one she dreaded to answer. She had grown used to him going along with everything she said or did, but apparently she had done something to upset him.

"Uhm...yesterday."

"And why wasn't I told of this?" his tone only grew more abrasive as he continued his questioning.

"I just thought that you'd want this, you've always agreed on everything we decided to do so I thought this would be okay."

"Okay? How is this okay Rarity? And when have I ever gotten to 'Agree' on anything we do?" she had crossed a border with the drake, and his questions almost counted as shouts.

"What about when we bought this house!" Rarity immediately went on the defensive, responding in kind to the sudden accusation aimed towards her. Spike being mad was a sight that she rarely ever saw, but for him to be mad at her was a first that she didn't like at all.

"You mean when you bought this house! I wanted to buy the one down by Trotson Avenue, but you were so centered around buying this overly-sized building that you didn't even listen to me."

"Well you should have told me that, how was I supposed to know?" the unicorn was surprised by how blunt her love was being, she had grown used to the docile dragon that she had seen throughout the years.

"You were supposed to have listened instead of trying to think up ways to use up the extra space in here, which looks really bad since you never took the time to fill it in." Spike began to lose his control over his pent-up emotions, and he began to vent them out through the argument.

"I'm sorry then! The payment is done and the house at Canterlot is ours, we can't just leave that behind! What's so wrong with the move anyway, you said you didn't really like it around here."

"I keep saying I don't like it around here because its fairly far away from Ponyville, but you never take the time to hear me out! So, obviously, if you tell me that we're moving all the way to Canterlot, I'm not going to like the idea."

"What do you want to be around Ponyville for anyway! We left that behind us years ago!" if there was anything she could have said to disable the argument immediately, then that most certainly wasn't it.

"You left that behind years ago, I never did! Because, unlike you apparently, I don't abandon my closest friends just so that I can earn some extra bits!" he reached the apex of his frustrations, letting out the core of the pestering feelings he's had bubbling inside him, but he surely didn't expect what the unicorn responded with.

"How can you say that! You haven't sent a single letter for the past four years! So if you expect to place all the blame on me you can forget it!" Spike froze at that, just because it was true. He hadn't had any sort of communication with the small town for most of his time away. His best friend could be dead and he wouldn't even know about it.

"Tha...that..."

"If you would have only pestered me on how you wanted to go to Ponyville every now and then, I would have let you. But now, for not chinning up, we are all going to Canterlot to live better lives."

"You know what Rarity...you're absolutely right." she didn't hear any anger in his words, and she was left amazed by how quickly she had managed to calm him down. She was preparing to thank him for being so cooperative, but she never got the chance to do so before he spoke again, "I'm going to do just what I want to do!"

Spike shook off the measuring tape wrapped around his arm as he jumped off of the fitting pedestal he was standing on. His face was a mask of indifference towards the mare's questioning gaze, one that was laced with determination as he donned a beige jacket to help him weather the cold of the night air. With speed unseen before by anyone, the purple dragon dashed away from his house, leaving behind his current problems so that he could attend to unfinished business. He still took the courtesy to shout out one last thing to the mare standing by the house's doorway,

"Don't wait up for me!"

Rarity's eyes followed the purple dot in the distance, tears of silent fear trailing down her cheeks. Fear born from the cut that had been left between her love and herself, and she didn't know how deep it was. Somehow, that just made it hurt much more. A teenage filly inside the house called out to her in confusion as to what all the shouting was about just as the sprinting dragon disappeared down the road. The mare didn't know what to tell her sister. Was this all due to her negligence towards Spike's wishes, or had it come about because the drake never spoke up loudly enough?

So, with a heavy heart, the fashion-inclined mare walked back into her spacious home to think about her life, wondering all the way what her dragon could be up to.
______________________________________________________________________

"I'll show her, I'll show her just how loyal I am to my friends." the frigid air whistled in Spike's ears as he sprinted down the dirt path leading to the town he had abandoned five years ago. He hated to admit it, but Rarity was right. He had left behind everything just as much as she had, he hadn't sent letters or ever gone on a single visiting trip, though the latter was due to the white unicorn always taking up his schedule with design orders.

He actually began to ponder what he would do when he arrived at the small town, and only one thing took up his to-do list. He needed to see his lifelong friend again, if only for a couple of minutes so that she could bash his head in for not contacting her for so long. The drake actually chuckled as that scenario came to mind, how very likely it was to happen.

His peace of mind, however, was ravaged as the fresh memory of his one and only argument with Rarity emerged. He didn't know what to feel anymore, him bringing up the fact that she couldn't listen so bluntly had left a serious dent in his relationship, one that could possibly destroy it.

Spike let out a sigh as he continued his mad dash, maybe he shouldn't have been so harsh. That thought was flushed away by the memories of all the choices he could have made if Rarity had only paid attention to his contributions to the decision making, and any remorse he had was quickly drowned by the resentment they carried with them.

The time was unknown to the purple dragon, but he knew that he had covered quite a distance by that time. He was proven correct when buildings came into view in the horizon, but it certainly wasn't what he was expecting.

He gawked at the size the town had grown to while he was gone, it had evolved from a quiet town to a bustling city that shot bright light into the skies above. The sight not only impressed him, but it also stirred a fear deep in his heart, one that drove him to keep running faster.

"Oh no! What if she moved away!"

The lavender mare he knew wasn't exactly fond with big cities, much like him, so he didn't see why she would keep living in what was bound to become one. He severely hoped that her friendships were enough to keep her tied to the growing town, or else he'd find himself having a hard time locating her anywhere in Equestria.

The distant constructions grew closer in a matter of minutes, and Spike found himself running past many bemused ponies walking the street. Along the way, ponies would call out his name as they recognized who he was. That made the drake feel a little more comfortable since he now knew that not many had left the area, but he had to make sure that his special librarian hadn't packed up and moved along.

He reached the town's center in no time at all, and the sight of his old home brought pure joy to his wildly beating heart. The town would never have kept the treehouse instead of replacing it with a more modern structure, so now he was mostly sure that his friend still lived inside.

Wasting no time at all, Spike sprinted to the entrance of the Golden Oaks Library with a smile plastered on his face. He was excited to see his ex-caretaker again, not to mention that he wanted to show off his new size, but he would never admit the latter. With a barely restrained claw, the dragon tapped loudly against the wooden doorway that separated him from his old friend.

His smile began to dampen after a minute passed without the door being answered, causing more fear to rise in his mind. Just as he was about to knock against the door again to try and get the attention of the mare he hoped was inside, the deadlock from the entrance clicked open right before the door was pulled in, but he wasn't looking at the mare he needed to see.

His emerald eyes instead focused on the slim creature's amethyst ones, barely managing to will themselves away from them to look at the rest of her perfect features. The dragon that had answered the door was colored a purple slightly deeper than his own, and she was about an inch higher than he was. Two horns adorned her forehead, one placed on a spot above the other, and they both jutted out through her dark purple hair, which had a single violet highlight. He curiously noted a towel wrapped around her waist before he looked back up into her slitted eyes.

The female dragon widened her eyes as she mutually recognized the drake in front of her, and a warm smile accented by her blushing cheeks grew on her face right before she threw her arms around the stunned male, pulling him into a crushing hug before he could protest, it's not like he wanted to anyway. Her body had left him in a paralyzed state, but her voice was almost enough to cause him to pass out from the sheer shock.

"Spike, is that really you?"