• Published 13th Jan 2013
  • 3,991 Views, 139 Comments

Faded Flame - Ink Stroke



Five years is a long time, especially after you've gotten everything you've ever wanted. Still, Spike now questions if he actually fulfilled his dreams with his alabaster marefriend, and if his dreams of lavender hold the secret to somethin

  • ...
12
 139
 3,991

Reunion

~Chapter 2~

Reunion

Spike didn't know what in the name of all that is holy was going on. For one, he was being strangled alive by a devastating hug. Two, the one responsible for the hug was a female dragon, probably a little older than he was if her appearance was any indication. Three, the aforementioned female had a voice exactly like Twilight's. And all of this combined with the oxygen deprivation he was going through was really taking its toll on him, causing his vision to blur away into an inky darkness.

"Spike! Oh I've missed you so much that you can't even begin to realize how glad I am to see you!" the enthusiastic dragoness pulled away from the hug a little to look at her visitor's face, and only then did she notice the color of blue beginning to mix in with his purple scales. Scared that she might have already suffocated him, the slim dragoness disentangled herself from the younger dragon, and he immediately started breathing in greedy gulps of air to fill his pleading lungs, "Sorry about that, it's just...wow."

The double-horned female began to look over her new guest just as he had moments ago while he returned to his normal shade of purple, curious to see how time may have changed him. She found that nothing much had changed about him, except for the change in size, he still had that cheeky look to him that really gave him even more of a young appearance. After half a minute of gasping for breath, Spike looked back up at the mystifying dragoness inside the house he had set out to find, not exactly disliking the view. He shook his head to clear away that stray thought, but only him speaking would be enough to cover it up.

"Twilight? Is that you?" the spiked dragon took a turn for the awkward and extended a claw to poke the other dragon's soft cheek, but he was focused enough to see the roll of her eyes before she responded.

"No, not really. I'm just the new assistant Miss Sparkle employed, and she was really insistent that I change my looks to match hers for some weird reason." Spike missed the playfully sarcastic tone when she spoke, and he was about to start stuttering apologizes for poking her like a freak. Thankfully, she caught onto the look on his face a decided to be blunt with him, "I'm kidding Spike, of course it's me."

"B-but wha...how in the world did you-"

"Become a dragoness?" Twilight finished the drake's bewildered question for him, saving him from a pile of failures to speak. She knew that if she were ever to see her scaly friend again, her new looks would be a interesting subject to talk about, but now she found her eyes drawn a lot more to his older physic as well. Spike, of course, was completely oblivious to her roaming eyes due to how madly he was nodding his response.

"Do you want to come inside? It's pretty cold out there tonight." a bone-chilling gust swept through the busy streets of nighttime Ponyville, accenting her generous offer the taller being gave. With but another nod, the spiked dragon walked past his bookish friend into the cozy oaken library he once called 'Home'. It was a sight that he had longed to see for a quite some time, almost as much as he wanted to see the mare he had grown up with. Well, technically he hadn't actually seen the mare he spent most of his life with.

That train of thought prompted him to turn around and look at the horned dragoness, and he was greeted by the sight of her cutie marks still on her rear, but more importantly the newly uncovered tail slithering towards the wooden doorway. Just as Twilight lifted the towel in her claws to dry her head, her dexterous limb closed the door with a soft click.

'Okay, so she's managed to get the hang of using her tail, so that means she's probably been like this for at least a week.' not one to interrupt a thorough drying, a habit that had developed over the years with Rarity, Spike decided to try and decipher how in the name of Celestia his bookworm of a friend managed to turn herself into a dragon. The transformation itself was anatomically right to the last detail he knew, except for two curious lumps on her chest that he was having a hard time keeping his eyes from. He had never seen a female of the draconic species, so he just assumed that they would look very similar to what he looked like.

"You want some cocoa, Spike? I started heating up a batch before I went up to take a shower, and there's probably too much for me to finish on my own." the dragon was snapped back to attention by the sudden voice, silently berating himself for drifting off like that.

"Sure, that'd be great, but would you mind telling me about...y'know." Spike used his claws to gesture towards her different body. His curiosity was desperately nibbling away at him, urging him to find some answers on the sudden developments he was facing.

"Ah yes, I almost forgot about that. Here, take a seat by the fireplace while I got get us those mugs of cocoa, then I'll explain everything you want to know. But I'm going to warn you right now, you have just as much explaining to do, Spikey." with that, the draconified Twilight walked away from the living room and into the kitchen after her little tease, leaving behind a dragon with more things on his head than he could handle.

His life had seriously changed in the span of an hour and a half. What with the fight with Rarity, him witnessing the newly developed city of Ponyville, and the discovery of his closest friend now being the same species as he was. He distracted himself away from his thoughts by letting his eyes roam the library's main lobby.

Nothing much had changed, books were still piled high on the tables the dragoness conducted her research on, unused scrolls lay rolled up on a weathered writing desk, and pictures still adorned the walls that weren't taken up by the bookshelves. The latter caught Spike's attention more than anything else, and he stood from his floor cushion to get a closer look.

He found pictures of his closest friends, Applejack, Pinkie, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Lyra, Rari...wait a minute, one of those didn't exactly belong there. Anyway, the young dragon cringed a little as his emerald eyes fell on the picture of his marefriend, it brought back memories of their dispute. As much as he didn't like it, he had liked the fight, he had liked the freedom it gave him as opposed to his submissive self. Of course, all it took was one sight to banish any and all pestering thoughts, a sight that hadn't been there when he had left the small town to move to Trottingham. A sole wall, separated from the rest of the photographs by bookshelves, bore its own plethora of memoirs, but these weren't just of friends and acquaintances.

"Oh...my...god."

Spike's eyes glazed over as he took in the ingenious piece of art, one that was constructed by using pictures of times only he and Twilight spent alone with each other. There were pictures of them as babies in Canterlot, some of the picnic trips they would go on, stargazing nights, and even some of the day he had left. The overall shape was a circle, and the pictures got more recent the closer to the center they got, but that detail was dwarfed in comparison to the effect the placement of the photographs had. The colors of all the pictures combined made one big painting on its own. The purples of the twilit nights were used to color in what clearly looked like two smiling dragons with their foreheads pressed together and their eyes locked with one another, one with green spines running down its back while the other had two horns poking out through its hair.

"Do you like it?"

"Ahhh!" Spike jumped away from the dragoness' sudden appearance next to him, he had gotten too absorbed by the skilled craft that he hadn't noticed her approach. She carried a mug of warm cocoa in each of her claws, and a giggle enticed by her lifelong friend's jumpy behavior slipped past her lips.

"Y-yeah it's really nice. Did you make this on your own?" the spiked drake clutched at his chest a little to ease his pounding heart, and he couldn't keep the light shaking out of his voice.

"Yup, that took me about a year and a half to pull of successfully. Here you go by the way." Twilight handed him one of the steamy mugs of chocolate before turning tail to take a seat by the inactive fireplace, with a thankful Spike following suit shortly afterward.

Before they began their friendly chatter, the dragoness surprised her guest yet again with what she did next. She cupped her claws in front of her mouth, drew in a deep breath, and released a barrage of lavender flames into her fireproof palms. The containment resulted in the fire shaping into a glowing ball of the element itself.

"Whoa, I didn't know we could do that." Spike lifted his claws to look at them before mimicking his host's procedure, getting an effect similar to Twilight's, although his was considerably smaller in size.

"Like I always say Spike, if you practice enough, you can do anything. Now come on, toss it into the fireplace so we can get rid of this accursed cold." the dragoness had taken the time out of her schedule to fireproof her entire house due to how commonly she was tempted to use her flame breath. She never understood quite how fulfilling it felt until she actually got to do it herself.

Both of the draconic beings tossed their flaming spheres into the oaken fireplace, getting a fire that would swirl with the two different colors they had thrown in. After ten seconds, the flames lost the magic they carried and turned into a normal, orange fire. Spike took the time to enjoy the moment, just sitting there drinking a mug of sweet cocoa with his most trusted friend, knowing full well that he was only enjoying the eye of the storm.

They were both sitting side by side, staring with thoughtful expressions into the rejuvenated flames, neither knowing what to say to decide the path their conversation would take. Surprisingly, Spike was the one to man up and face the consequences of what he had done, putting aside his curiosity to mend the bond between Twilight and himself.

"I'm sorry Twi...for everything." a single tear dripped into his mug, he knew the direction their talk would take now. She would lose the hospitality she had shown so far since she would be reminded about how he had failed to do such a simple task. He knew she would berate him for all the times he could have been there. The five birthdays he missed, the five 'Ponyville Arrival' anniversaries, the five annual stargazing trips they took, each and every one of them was a subject that he fully deserved to be crushed with. He seriously wished she would bash his head in, just so that he could feel that he had paid back some of his huge debt to her.

Paranoia had absolute power over his mind, dragging him into the depths of depression he should have felt years ago, but only one thing managed to save him in his time of need. It was the one thing that mattered most to him.

Spike's flinched instinctually as he chastised himself for the scowling he deserved, but it never came. His ears weren't assaulted by an onslaught of reprimandations, nor did Twilight's peace change. The only effect his sorrowful words prompted was for a warm tail to unconsciously wrap around his own in a gesture of comfort he hadn't felt before, and when he looked into his host's eyes he saw no trace of ire or strife in them. The dragoness put down her cup of cocoa to put her soft claw on Spike's shoulder, letting him know that his fears were ill bred.

"Spike, you have nothing to be forgiven about." he couldn't believe what he was hearing from the friend whom he had betrayed so harshly. In fact, he didn't want to hear, he wanted to let her scream her frustrations out on him just so that he could feel slightly better about himself.

"But it's been four years since I've even sent you a letter! How can you just let me off the hook like that!?"

"Shh...I never said I'm letting you go without explaining yourself, but I am telling you that I'm not mad with you just because something like this came up." she disabled the dragon's argument with her gentle voice, leaving her time to fill in the rest of what she had to say, "Yes, I was very sad when you left, heck, I still miss you every day you're not here, but I understand that you have things to take care of on your end. You can't always be sacrificing your time to spend it with an old friend."

"That's just it Twilight, I never take the time out of my life to visit you. I don't even use ten measly minutes to write to you, I don't deserve to just slid by this as if it never happened."

"Would it make you feel any better if you explained to my why it is that we got sort of... detached from each other, if that's what you can call it. I would think that you living out your 'Perfect' life with Rarity leaves little time for you to come down here to Ponyville anymore." her tone saddened a little around the end, but she quickly masked it before it became too apparent. It seemed to always happen to her whenever she talked about her dragon's relationship, but she never really understood why.

"You're partly right about that, but you're way off on the 'Perfect' there, just like I was."

"What do you mean?" Twilight had never really pried into his love life, other than the obvious fact he was infatuated over the mare he currently had as his marefriend. Still, that little fact was five years out of date. Spike sighed as he prepared himself to let out what he actually felt, to the only living thing he would ever fully trust.

"I...I cant help but feel that I kinda, uhm, rushed my choice a little." that already had the dragoness hooked to the conversation, she couldn't believe that he would ever have doubts about being with her fashion-inclined friend, "It's just that I feel useless with her. Here in Ponyville I was her assistant, seeing only the small decisions that needed to be made to run the boutique, but actually being a co-owner is completely different."

"How so? I thought you didn't mind having to go into the business industry if you were ever to get Rarity to accept your advances."

"It's not the business that I'm having trouble with, it's her attitude. I never noticed it before because I didn't spend much time personally with her, but when I started living in the same house as her I started to tell that she always seems to want everything to go her way. Whenever a decision has to be made, she abandons everything I have to say and just goes and does whatever she wants to do. It's incredibly frustrating!"

His venting led him to start shouting again, but it also gave him a clearer state of mind since he was flushing out all of the plaguing thoughts he had sealed up inside his head. The only thing keeping him from going into a raging rant was the tail still entwined with his, and the way it seemed to hug his own tighter whenever he grew angry soothed him back down to a rational level.

"It sounds like you two have some issues to work out, have you tried talking to her about it?"

"Yes, but she's only actually heard me out once, and I'm not even sure if she listened to what I had to say. It's just so...I don't know what to do Twilight, I'm scared."

At that, the dragoness wrapped her arms arm around his neck and pulled him into a hug much softer than the one she gave him upon his surprise appearance. She really hated that she didn't know how to help out her loyal friend, having nothing but hypothetical knowledge on romance, but she tried her best to soothe things out as much as she could. Spike took in a staggering breath, catching the scent of the lavender shampoo his host had used shortly before his arrival, letting his senses cool down before they separated again. Throughout all this, their tails never separated from their wrapped states.

"Don't be afraid, Spike...you never have to be afraid. Do you know why?" Twilight's amethyst eyes locked with Spike's emerald colors ones, and she let her rhetorical question hang in the air before she continued in the same, nearly imperceptible voice, "Because I will always be there for you, no matter how dark things look for you. You can always count on me to give you whatever you want, whenever you want it."

Something happened the instant her pledge to the younger drake was completed that neither of the purple dragons understood. It was is if they both just cleared away any and all problems of the outside world, leaving only the two of them with each other. This was their circle of complete trust, even if it only held the duo as its members, and the only secrets it held back were those that were hidden deep within their egos.

Spike didn't know what to think other than how content he felt, no, he it was more like a feeling of elation. Twilight had not only forgiven him for his negligence towards her, but she had sorted out his life's problems in the span of one conversation. He now clearly understood that she would be there for him when no one else was, that she would give him the respect and sense of maturity that he had never asked for but had always wanted. It's was somewhat fitting that they were of the same species at the time they became even closer to one another, even if though it wasn't required for the process of mending the bonds of their faded relationship.

"Thank you Twi, you always know just the right things to say whenever I'm feeling down." that sappy gratification was responded kindly with a scratch on a spot on the back of his head that he never actually figured out to get to on his own, and it always managed to make his tail wag whenever someone else did it for him.

"It's no problem, I'm just doing what I would always do for you."

'For me...' Spike pondered that little bit of information really deeply. He knew that he and Twilight had always been closer to each other than any of their other friends, but with her just saying those two extra word made him feel even more special. It was as if he were being pampered by the promise of attention it subtly carried with it. Trying to keep himself from deterring from the conversation, the young drake moved on to the subject that had trapped all of his curiosity since the moment the door to the library opened.

"Anyway, my personal dispute aside, what's happened on your end ever since I left?" the deep atmosphere began to fade away to make a path for the friendly chatter that was sure to ensue, much to the dragons' mutual joy.

"Well there are the little things such as what's been going on around town, or there's the major issue you actually want me to talk about. Which'll it be?" the dragoness grinned at her playful teasing, but she was right, he was itching to know what managed to turn a pony into a dragon.

"How about we start with how in the world you're a dragon now."

"Yeah, I figured you'd want to hear about that. Anyway, if you must know, I've been living my life out as a dragoness for the past three years." before she could continue, Spike expressed his clear shock at how long he had been uninformed on the situation.

"Three years!?"

"Pretty much. I was working on a certain high-end spell that I wanted to try out ever since you left, one that would help me out with a couple of personal problems, but I messed it up really badly. I added too many fire ruby shavings into the mixture, so when they mixed together with the sanguine rose extract it resulted in me being blown up along with the rest of the basement."

"You managed to blow up the basement, through the layers of granite?"

"Science is unpredictable Spike, add a little bit too much of something or fail to put in a crucial ingredient and you'll end up with something way different than what you were aiming to accomplish. For me, that was the explosion's genetically-altering properties, which 'Formatted' my deoxyribonucleic acid to one that nearly mimics a dragon's. Since it was a just a format and not a entire mutation, my new body retained a lot of my characteristics, such as my age,coloration, and my magic."

"Whoa, must have been one heck of a spell for it to cause such a drastic change in you. What were you working on anyway? Sanguine rose extract is rarely used on normal magic, being more useful in ritual spells, but I never knew you practiced that branch of magic."

"Well, I was working on bri-..br-..." the dragoness' eyes lost their focus as they grew to a blank, soulless state. It was a sight that terrified Spike through sheer worry.

"Twilight, are you okay?"

Fearing that he may have caused her to lose herself in her subconscious like she tended to do when she was younger, the spiked dragon began to search for all the subtle signs that indicated how badly she was trance-locked. Her new body, as great as he thought it looked, made finding these details much more difficult, but he eventually managed to track them all down. The trembling in her slitted eyes, her right claw unconsciously scratching the pillow underneath her, and her tail giving off a little twitch every now and then.

Three signs meant that she wasn't lost to the point he had to call Princess Celestia, which was a good thing considering he had lost his D-mail connection with her after years of not exercising his ability. All he needed to do was snap her out of the comatose-like state was to create a noise loud enough for the job, which wasn't really that loud at all. As he prepared to unleash his shout, Twilight's mind was heavily at work, processing thoughts and ideas at speeds that the spiked drake would never be able to achieve

She was in a dark chamber, the roots tangling down from the ceiling caused the light from the massive cauldron to cast ominous shadows that crept across the granite walls. A book that she was never supposed to have ever used floated in front of her muzzle. Her uncaring eyes swept over the arcane words etched forever into the unaging paper, tossing the entire thing aside once she was prepared to begin. The only sign that she had any emotion left was the small, honest smile on her face as she turned to look at an object in the corner of the room, one that had marked the only happiness left in her heart. With the words of power spoken, she tossed the ingredients into the purple liquid. That was were it had all gone wrong. In just a couple of seconds, the cauldron was consumed by a purple explosion, followed shortly after by the gloomy room itself. It left nothing behind save for an underground dome and a new dragoness, whose amethyst eyes snapped open to find herself without the problems in her life solved, and a new predicament to face.

Before Spike could release his shout to awaken the zoned-out female dragon in front of him, she jolted forward as she snapped out of her nightmarish memory, putting her forehead against the drake's and her snout barely an inch from the his quickly blushing one. She didn't really get a sense of what was going on until her mind took the time to sort itself back together, so they stood paralyzed like that for a minute. One was stuck because her nerves wouldn't respond to her command yet, and the other was just there out of enjoyable confusion. Spike's question was long forgotten as he waited with baited breath, only confused further by the pang of disappointment he felt after the suspenseful minute full of anything but movement.

Twilight managed to regain control over her draconic body, finally able to see through her physical eyes as apposed to her mind's eyes, but the only thing she saw was yet another set of slitted eyes staring back. With cheeks blazing from the proximity, both dragons pulled away from their positions and decided to dampen the awkwardness in the vicinity by talking more.

"Sooo...yeah. You don't want to talk about it then?" the dragoness would have thanked her loyal friend if she weren't so flustered that she responded immediately in an attempt to bury whatever had just happened a couple of seconds ago.

"N-no, I'm sorry. It's just that I'm not sure I'm ready to let that out of my system just yet, but give it some time and I'm sure I'll be able to tale you some other day. Okay?" that question was something Spike didn't need to be asked, because it was always the same answer.

"Whatever you want Twi, just don't think too much about it. I don't want you relapsing into your trances as badly as when we lived back in Canterlot just to satisfy my curiosity." he was okay with letting the horned dragoness do whatever she wanted, but it wasn't because he felt he needed to be submissive like he did with Rarity. Here, he was offered a choice. And to think that if the alabaster unicorn back in Trottingham had done the same thing he probably would have never gotten to see the new resident dragon in Ponyville.

"Uhm, do you have anything else you want to talk about, anything not related to the accident?" the little proximity incident was already left behind, but it surely wasn't forgotten. It was still fresh in both of their minds and it refused to leave whenever they tried to will it away, leaving them with conversation as the only way to keep themselves from deeply pondering what had happened.

"Does it count as 'Related' if I ask you how you've been doing ever since you were turned into a dragoness?"

"Not at all, Spike. After you left for Trottingham to move into your new home, I concluded my primary studies on friendship, and they're currently getting the book I wrote to be accepted by the printers. Anyway, boasting aside, I went on without anything major to catch my interest for year until I came across a rather interesting tome that marked the beginning of my latest studies. I spent the next year after that mastering the arcane arts inside the book, but my accident both cut that branch of my research short and began my current project."

"What would that be? I don't see the usual materials you use whenever you conduct a major experiment laying around anywhere."

"That's because I don't need anything more than a quill and a journal for this. Seeing as how I'm stuck indefinitely in this body, I decided to conduct an field report of how being a dragon in everyday life differs to being just the average pony."

"So you're researching...yourself?"

"Yeah, you've got the idea. I can't read your thoughts, or anyone else's for the matter, so I can't find out the subtle influences dragon nature places onto your actions. I can't hear that little voice in your head that urges you to abandon all morality and just follow your instincts." okay, that sounded a lot creepier than she wanted it to.

"And how has that worked out for you? You haven't grown to a giant size and terrorized the city yet, right?"

"Pfft, of course not! You should now best than everyone else that I have a very strong mental fortitude. One that is strong enough to hold back base desires such as greed."

"I wouldn't exactly say that considering you just fell into a trance a couple of minutes ago, or that time with the Want It-Need It spell, or that time at the paraspri-" Spike was enjoying his friendly teasing more than he probably should have, and that prompted Twilight to pull out her trump card.

"Your one to talk, what with your little emerald eyes staring at my breasts ever since you walked in here." the mischievous grin on her face nearly shocked him as much as the revelation as to what the curious lumps he had stared at were, "Yeah, I saw that."

Twilight couldn't hold her laughter back any more than that, Spike's burning face was the perfect catalyst to tickle her funny bone. Times like these were the ones she missed most of all, times where she could just let herself be herself without being judged harshly by the public. The spiked drake had just spoken about her bouts of insanity as if they were nothing more than memories to laugh at, nothing like the demeaning labels some of the ponies in Equestria would weigh her down with.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't know what they were, honest! It's just that I've never seen a girl dragon before and I was curious as to what they were!" Spike cupped his claws right before he began to beg, "Please don't throw me out! I'll never d-"

The dragoness barely containing some stray chuckles pressed her index finger against his lips, silencing his unneeded pleas for forgiveness before he had a heart attack from the strain.

"Don't beat yourself up over it, I wouldn't have expected you to know what they were. Besides, you're just following what your instincts urged you to do, the very thing I'm currently studying. You've actually just given me another little post of information, thanks for that."

Both of Twilight's horns lit up in their purple aurora as they summoned a hefty notepad, a quill, and an ink well. Her busy scribbling was enough to buy him some time to calm down his erratic breathing. His body felt numb due to most of his blood supply having found its way up to his head, and a migraine would have surely taken over if his good mood wasn't there to drive it away.

He was surprised to see that the other dragon had already written an entire page out of a single little fact, but that was just Twilight being Twilight. What surprised him even more was that his eyes were still getting drawn towards the core of his earlier embarrassment , and just knowing what they were was enough to evoke strange thoughts in his head that he couldn't quite process in the waking world.

Twilight blushed when she noticed that Spike was still looking at her perky lumps, knowing full well that she shouldn't be taking something like that so lightly. But, if she was really honest, she didn't care to object in the slightest. The dragon next to her was the closest friend she had ever had the pleasure of growing up next to, he was a trusted companion, so she guessed she could spare him this one time. Besides, she was conducting sociological experiment to see how she would affect those around her, and dragons weren't exactly commonplace in the land of Equestria, so this technically was a crucial part of the program. Not to mention that it made her feel nice that she would have such an effect over him, but that train of thought always hit one major roadblock that blocked off the satisfaction she would develop.

Spike was still in a relationship with Rarity.

It was a fact that made her grit her teeth unconsciously. Occasionally when she thought about them being together, instead of having her special dragon back home with her, her ire would spark. She didn't hate Rarity for her choice of accepting Spike, but she just couldn't stop herself from occasionally growling at one of her pictures. She chalked it up to be an effect of her dragon instincts kicking in, injecting jealousy into her system to try and make her win back a...potential mate. She couldn't have stopped that thought if she had even tried, it was too true to look past. Spike was an exemplary model of what a male dragon of his species was supposed to grow up to be, so it was only natural that her body would try and urge her to go reclaim him.

Estrus still seemed to affect her every year, but a dragon's variation of the season wasn't exactly as docile as those the mares went through. She needed to find another dragon to breed with, nothing else would be able to free her from the pestering burn she would feel while she went through the excruciating process of 'Sweating it out'. It was the one thing she really hated about her new draconic biology, but the double magical output granted by her second horn was enough to make up for it sometimes. Sometimes.

When she sneakily turned her eyes back towards Spike, he wasn't looking at her anymore. Instead, his scarlet face was pointed stiffly at the cup of cocoa in his claws, staring into the dark liquid as if it would reveal the secrets of life if he looked at it long enough. He almost spilled it when a grandfather clock Fluttershy had donated to the library rung out the midnight bells, adding another scare to the huge tab he was building up on that visit alone. But the loud clockwork had a point, as much as both the dragons didn't want it to be true, it was time to say their goodbyes to each other once again.

"Are you going to walk all the way to Trottingham? Because if you are, you probably shouldn't wait until the cold worsens." her instincts once again pushed her to make an offer she would have made anyway, but the dragon side to her had completely different purposes, "Or you could stay the night, whatever makes you happy."

Spike got up from the floor cushion at the same time Twilight did, setting his mug down on a coffee table next to him, and as much as he wanted to say something else, he said,

"I would love to stay the night Twi, but I have something that I need to take care of back at Trottingham. Don't worry Twilight, I'll come visit you tomorrow."

"Promise?" the dragoness was deeply saddened by the imminent departure, and she wanted to make sure that she wouldn't be abandoned again. She wouldn't be able to bear through the pain any longer than she already had.

"Promise."

Both dragons found themselves sharing a warm hug at the doorway that lead to the chilly nighttime air waiting outside, neither of them wanting to let go of the other. But, there is a wise saying that consists across the multiverse that applies to situations like these. If you love something, let it go, and if it returns that means that it truly loves you as well.

Just as Spike began to leave the library's doorway and Twilight began to walk back into her lonely home, both of them felt a tug on their rears that caused them to fall onto their backs. Both dragons had their heads next to each other's on the floor, and they both looked down to the source of their little incident. Apparently their tails didn't like the aforementioned saying and decided to stay entwined with one another even as their respective owners began to walk in opposite directions, pulling them back together after they were stretched to their limits.

"Heheh, let me take care of that." Twilight's horns lit up again as they began the tedious task of disentangling their purple tails, and she quickly found out that it was very difficult to do because they would try to wrap themselves again whenever her magic got to work on a different part of the knot. After another minute of fumbling, the rebellious limbs unlatched from one another, and both of the draconic beings couldn't help but feel strange without the extra warmth coiled against their tails.

"Well, that was really fun Twilight. I'll come see you again tomorrow afternoon!" Spike began to dash away from the oaken library that housed his draconified friend. He had a lot of thinking to do, both of his plans for the future and the jumbled all his emotions had turned into.

Twilight watched with a sad smile on her face as her very special dragon disappeared behind one of the tall buildings dotting the city of Ponyville, thinking about how much she had enjoyed her cocoa with someone she could spend some quality time with. Spike had promised her he would come tomorrow, but the paranoid portion of her mind began to inject depressing thoughts into her consciousness, scenes in which he never comes back and leaves her alone until the day she would die. The dragoness trudged back into the library repeating one line over and over in her head to banish the negative attitude that was trying to integrate itself into her.

'He made a promise...'