• Published 3rd Jan 2013
  • 9,758 Views, 277 Comments

The Legend of Spike: Discord's Mask - DiabloGuapo



After having his heart broken, Spike finds himself in a parrallel world and in a race against time.

  • ...
9
 277
 9,758

Anger Cycle: Day Two

Dawn of the Second Day- 48 Hours Remaining

Spike couldn’t sleep. Perhaps it was the rush from the blue potion he drank the day before. Perhaps he was nervous about going on a rescue mission. Perhaps he didn’t know how he’ll react to seeing… her. Whatever the reason was, the dragon was wide awake, sitting on a chair in the zebra’s hut. Matilda was asleep on the herbalist’s bed. The donkey was reluctant to deprive Zecora of her bed, but she insisted that the older donkey to take it, choosing to be a generous host and accommodate her guest. Zecora had slept on a rug on the floor, but she had awoken and was packing a few supplies.

The dragon and zebra left the hut silently so as not to wake Matilda. Nearby the hut was a boat. Normally, the forest did have a few streams and rivers flowing through it, and Zecora would use them to navigate through the forest. Now, the forest had become an accursed swamp filled with evil. Spike sat in the boat as Zecora rowed them towards the palace of Prince Blueblood.

“The Prince has become hostile to any from the outside; he will surely judge you for your scaly hide,” warned the zebra. What she meant was that he would have a hard time getting in as a dragon, but maybe as a unicorn…

“I got an idea,” he declared. “I’ll call upon the power of the Unicorn Mask to disguise myself.”

“You have a mask that allows one to shape shift?” Zecora remarked, impressed. “You are fortunate to have such an rare gift.”

Spike concentrated and called to the Spirit within him. Are you there?

Yes, the Spirit answered. Let’s do this.

Spike felt like he was bucked in the chest and the wind was knocked out of him. Again he felt his bones bend and shift under his skin, which felt like it was on fire. Fur replaced scales, claws compacted into hooves, spines became a mane, and a horn grew out of his forehead. Spike panted as the transformation was completed. He rose again to his hooves, his legs shaking as he did so.

“Well,” he gasped. “At least I can get in now.”

“Spike, are you alright?” Zecora asked with concern. “Your change gave me a fright.”

“I’m okay, Zecora,” the colt reassured. He looked at his reflection in the murky waters, and sighed. Is it going to be this painful every time?

I imagine so, but it’s better this way, the voice said.

Yeah, we’ll have better luck sneaking like this rather than as dragon.

Actually, I’m from the palace, but it’s better that they don’t recognize me… er… us.

Huh? This information confused Spike. What do mean? You’re from the palace, but they won’t recognize this shape? Who are you?

He felt a bit of sadness radiate from the Spirit. I’ll explain later, we’re here. Looking up from the waters, Spike noticed that they had arrived at the castle. It was sitting on an island in the middle of the moat, and Spike assumed that there was a moat somewhere within the depths of the foul swamp. The pair tied the boat to a dock and approached the main gate. On either side of the palace’s gate were two guards. They looked just as intimidating as the ones in Clock Town. Spike could already tell that this wasn’t going to be pleasant.

As the colt and the zebra approached the gate, the guards blocked the way with spears. “Halt, this is the palace of his Royal Majesty, Prince Blueblood! Only those with official business may enter!” The guards looked down at Spike. “However, you may go see the sentencing of the criminal.” They moved their spears out of the way to permit Spike to enter. Spike walked past the guards and Zecorca followed, but the spears came down in front of her face, nearly cutting her. She gave a startled gasp and hopped back from the guards. “Foreign filth, such as yourself, is not welcomed in the noble home of the Unicorns.” Zecora glared at the prejudice unicorns and turned to head back to her boat.

“Zecora, wait!” Spike called to her, and then turned to the guards. “You can’t send her away just because she’s a zebra!”

“Zebras, mules, donkey, earth ponies, Pegasi, and all other forms of riffraff are not welcomed here!” the guards recited their policy.

“It is fine, Spike, for the hospitality of the Sire,” said Zecora. “Is as pleasant as this Misery Mire.” She then pulled something from her cloak. “To go alone is dangerous.” She tossed it to Spike, and when he caught it, he saw it was a flask. “Take this.”

Spike uncorked the flask and saw it was filled with the blue potion that Matilda used to restore Zecora’s health. “Thank you, Zecora.” He headed through the gate as she returned to her boat. The gate led to a courtyard and then to the palace itself. Spike approached the palace doors and was stopped again by more guards.

“Listen,” the doorstallion instructed. “You go through these doors and head straight down the hall to the Prince’s throne room. Don’t go anywhere else, or you’ll be in big trouble, got it!?”

Spike shrank a bit from the overbearing guard, but he nodded and the guard opened the door for him with his magic. Spike entered the palace and was baffled by what he saw. “Oh for the love of Celestia,” he muttered in exasperation as he facehoofed. The hall was filled with the image of Prince Blueblood. Statues of the egocentric prince lined both sides of the carpet that led the way to the throne room. Each of them was posed in a dramatic stance. The walls were covered in paintings of the Unicorn. Each of them was more ridiculous than the last. One was as a portrait of him dramatically looking over his shoulder, pouting his lips. Another was of him flexing his overly exaggerated muscles. Another had him lying on bed that was covered in rose petals in a romantic pose, grinning with a rose in between his teeth. Spike suppressed the urge to vomit. Next painting made his blood boil. It was Blueblood standing triumphantly over the corpse of a might dragon. The dragon had its tongue lolled out dramatically. Blueblood had one hoof on top the fallen dragons head and a lance in the other. Spike really wanted to vomit at the next one. Prince Blueblood was sitting on a grand throne with an elaborate crown upon his brow. He held a golden scepter in his hoof. He wore a majestic cape and regal suit with many medals pinned on it, but that wasn’t the worst part. Oh no, it didn’t come close. Rarity was at his hooves, scantily clad in only a sheet, while she clung to his hind leg with a wanton look of desire on her face.

That’s it, I’m torching the place.

Focus, said the voice in his head. Remember the mission. You got to save Rarity and Sweetie Belle and clear Cranky’s name.

And then can I torch the place?

… Yeah, and then you can torch the place.

Spike made his way past the revolting images to the throne room. The doorstallion ushered him in, saying, “Hurry, the sentencing is about to begin.”

“When was the trial?” asked Spike.

“Trial? His Majesty doesn’t bother with such pointless things as that!” exclaimed the usher. Spike was astounded by the harshness of the law in the Unicorn’s domain. He took a sit with the rest of the audience. The throne was vacant, but a familiar mare stood by it. It was Twilight Sparkle! She cleared her throat to gain the attention of the court.

“All rise for the…” Twilight groaned exhaustively a bit before continuing. “‘Honorable’ and ‘noble’ Prince of the Unicorns, Blueblood.” The pompous prince entered with the cheesiest grin imaginable and took his seat on the throne.

“Thank you, Councilor Sparkle,” he said as she rolled her eyes and shook her head disapprovingly behind his back. Her eyes scanned the audience, but stopped when she saw Spike. As the two gazed at each other, her eyes widened and her mouth opened a little. “Councilor, proceed.”

She shook her a bit and continued. “Bring out the condemned.” At her word, two guards dragged out a bald, older donkey. He was covered in chains and locks and was forced into a chair.

“Cranky Doodle Donkey,” the Prince addressed the bounded donkey. “You have been found guilty of foalnapping the Lady Rarity and the Lady Sweetie Belle!”

“I didn’t foalnap anypony, ya imbecile!” ranted Cranky, rattling his chains as he squirmed in his seat. “I told you! They wanted to investigate the strange things that been happening in the temple, and they asked me to row them there! The entrance became locked and I came back for help!”

“Silence!” the prince roared. “I won’t listen to any more of this foolishness! I’ll give you one more chance; tell us where you’re hiding my fiancee and her sister and I will lessen your punishment!”

“I told you,” Cranky yelled. “They’re in the temple, ya moron!”

“Enough! Bring out ‘the Wheel of Punishment!’” The Unicorns cheered in savage delight as a large, circular board with a spinner in it was brought out. Spike read the various punishments listed: Eaten by a Hydra, Thrown in the Pit of Spikes, Staring Contest with a Cockatrice, Placed in a Compactor, Locked in the Timberwolves Den, Sacrificed to the Ursa Major, Skinned Alive, Community Service, or Boiled in Oil. Blueblood’s horn glowed as he used his magic to activate the spinner. As it went whirling around the board, the audience cheered.

“Hydra, give him the hydra!”

“Come on compactor!”

“Community service, please be community service!” Spike wished to himself. The spinner began to slow down, and the crowd drew in a breath in anticipation. The spinner came to rest near the border of the two punishments, but it barely favored one over the other: Community Service. Cranky, Spike, and Twilight let a sigh of relief as the others moaned in disappointment. Whistling nonchalantly, Blueblood used his magic to move the spinner while nopony was looking.

“Looks like it’s ‘Boiled in Oil,’” Prince Blueblood announced and the crowd cheered. Cranky and Spike’s mouths fit the floor. “Tomorrow at sunset, you will pay for your crime! Guards, take him away!”

“You can’t do this!” Cranky protested as he was dragged away. “I’m telling you, they’re in the temple! They’re in the temple!” The court was dismissed and the Unicorns in attendance were ushered out. Spike was led through the exit of the throne room by the guards, a voice spoke to them.

“Guards, bring him here.” Spike turned and saw Twilight Sparkle standing outside the door.

“Yes, Councilor Sparkle,” the guards said as they nudged Spike over to the lavender unicorn.

“I’ll take it from here, that will be all,” she dismissed the guards. They saluted and returned to ushering the crowd out of the palace. The two looked at each other, not saying a word. Twilight’s eyes looked up and down Spike’s body, and said in a hushed voice, “W-who are you?”

“I’m…” Spike began to answer, but the voice in his head stopped him.

Don’t tell her! Make something up!

“I’m Pipsqueak,” Spike lied. Twilight studied him a little further.

“Y-you look so much like…” she began to say. “Why are you here? Be honest with me.”

“I’ve been sent by Matilda the donkey to find Lady Rarity and Lady Sweetie Belle and to prove Cranky’s innocence.”

“Is that so?” Twilight looked around to check if they were being listened to. “I can help you.”

“You can?”

“Yes, I don’t believe that he’s responsible at all,” she whispered. “I’ve tried to convince the Prince to send ponies to investigate the temple, but, for some reason, he refuses. I also tried to point out the fact that the forest has been cursed and that maybe there is a reason to investigate the temple.”

“What can we do about it?”

“I’ll lead you to the dungeons. Maybe you can get more information from Cranky. I wish I could join you, but Prince Blueblood will get suspicious if I don’t report to him soon.” Twilight led Spike down a hall, checking the corners as to avoid being seen accompanying a commoner in the castle. After waiting for a guard to turn a corner, they rushed to the door to the dungeon. “I’m afraid that I can’t take you any further. Prince Blueblood is expecting and I’m already late as it is.”

“I understand. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Just be careful not to be seen by the guards.”

Spike opened the door and climbed down the stairs to the dungeon. It was obviously more drab and dismal compared to the rest of the palace. It was barely lit enough to see by torches that hung on the wall. Spike proceeded with caution, for his could hear the sound of hoofsteps from the guards echoing through the corridors. He came to a corner and saw a guard patrolling a corridor. The guard’s horn was glowing like a search light as he panned up and down the corridor. Seeing his chance, Spike sprinted across the corridor to the next one. He looked back to see if the guard had noticed. The guard continued to walk down the corridor, oblivious to the intruder’s presence. Spike let out a sigh of relief and tuned around to see another guard! Spike covered his mouth with his hooves to hold in a gasp, but relaxed when he noticed that the guard was facing the other way. Spike sneaked up behind him and waited for the guard to move on. When the guard moved on, Spike quietly tiphoofed behind the guard to the next corridor. Cautiously peering around the corner, found the corridor was empty. He could see donkey hooves protruding from the cell bars at the end of the corridor. Spike ran over to them and saw Cranky.

“Who…” the donkey began, but Spike shushed him. Cranky nodded and continued in a whisper. “Who are you?”

“Matilda sent me,” Spike explained.

“Matilda?”

“Yes, she told me what’s going on and I’m here to help.”

“Thanks kid, but the only way to help me is to save Lady Rarity and Lady Sweetie Belle. That idiot won’t listen to what anypony says unless they come back.”

“How do I get to the temple?”

“My raft should still be tied up behind the castle. When they entered the temple, a blast came out of nowhere and shut the door. When I came back for help, I was arrested as soon as I came to the front gate, so maybe it’s still there. Use it to head upstream. The foul water seems to be flowing from the temple, so follow the current. When you get to the temple’s door, you’ll have to use magic to open the door. Since I’m not a Unicorn and the magic seal can only be accessed from the outside, we couldn’t open it once they were locked in.”

“How did she open it?”

“There’s a combination on the seal. There are five rows of seven holes. Use your horn to open them this order from left to right with one being the top hole and five being bottom hole: one, two, one, two, five, three, five. Got it?”

“One, two, one, two, five, three, five,” Spike repeated. “Okay, I got it.”

“Good, now go. I have less than twenty-four hours before they deep-fry me. Hurry, before…”

“Aha!” somepony said from behind. Spike snapped his head around to see a guard coming around the corner, the light from his horn blinding the colt. “An intruder!”

“Oh, horse apples,” Spike and Cranky muttered in unison. Another guard appeared and the two levitated Spike in the air and took him out of the dungeon. They led him through the palace to two large doors. Inside, Prince Blueblood was reclining on a sofa while a bunch of servant mares were levitating bowls of fruit. The mares giggled as they fed the Prince, and Twilight Sparkle stood by. She was shocked to see that Spike was being brought in to the Prince.

“And who would this be?” Blueblood yawned with disinterest.

“He’s a spy, Your Highness,” reported one of the guards. “We caught him the dungeon, talking to the prisoner!”

“A spy!?” Prince Blueblood yelled, suddenly becoming enraged. “One of the donkey’s conspirators, no doubt! Throw him in the dungeon!”

“But I was already in the dungeon…” Spike remarked.

“Wait, sire,” Twilight intervened. “He’s just a foal. Don’t you think he’s a little young to be a foalnapper?”

“Perhaps you’re right,” Blueblood considered. “What were you doing in the dungeon?”

“Maybe he got lost,” suggested Twilight. “Remember how Spike used to get lost all the time when he was little?”

“I thought I made it clear not to mention him again,” Blueblood growled and then shuddered. “Ugh, I don’t know why I didn’t make you get rid of that disgusting reptile earlier. A dragon walking around the palace, what a disgrace! To think that a brilliant mare, such as yourself, would keep something like that as a pet.”

“He wasn’t a pet…” Twilight Sparkle barely audibly whispered. Her body seemed to trembling and her bottom lip quivered.

“Guards, throw the commoner out of my place.” They did exactly that. Next thing Spike knew, he was being hurled out of the front gate of the place and landed face first into the dirt. Spike got up and spat out a mouth flow of dirt with gag as the guards laughed at his expense. Frustrated, the colt made his way down to the dock. Checking to see if any guards were watching, Spike followed shoreline around the castle. Sure enough, Cranky’s raft was still there. He boarded the raft and began to row upstream.

Ponyville- Day 2, 2:00 A.M.

Twilight was lying in her bed at her home, Golden Oaks Library. Even though she protested, Applejack suggested that she got some rest and that they’ll continue the search tomorrow morning. However, she couldn’t sleep. Her thoughts were consumed with worry and dread. Nopony had seen her number one assistant all day. They looked all over Ponyville, but they found nothing. Was he lost? Did he run away? Was he hurt?

Twilight got out of her bed and went to a bookcase. Maybe a book would help calm her. She pulled a random book the shelf and read the cover aloud, “Magical Melodies: The Art of Song Spells.” She opened to the table contents and one entry caught her attention. “Song of Healing…”