• Published 3rd Jan 2013
  • 9,756 Views, 277 Comments

The Legend of Spike: Discord's Mask - DiabloGuapo



After having his heart broken, Spike finds himself in a parrallel world and in a race against time.

  • ...
9
 277
 9,756

24 Hours Remaining

Dawn of the Final Day- 24 Hours Remaining

Throughout the night, Spike wandered the streets of Clock Town, desperately trying to think of a way to cause the ‘spark’ to appear. He only had one day to find the Element of Magic. Yesterday, the Element of Honesty had led him to Fluttershy, which led to him finding the missing Shining Armor, and then to helping Applejack. If that wasn’t enough to light the spark of friendship, then what could?

The sun had risen over the tops of the building and Spike looked up at it with bloodshot eyes. He was now beginning his eighteenth day of no sleep. He pulled out the flask of blue potion and frowned disappointedly when he felt how light it felt. He had depended on the miraculous elixir to keep him going through his adventure and now it was almost gone. He popped the cap off and prepared to take the last sip of potion.

Maybe instead of drinking the potion, you should get some sleep, interjected the alternate version of himself.

No, Spike rejected in a deadpan voice as he lifted the flask to his lips with a shaking claw. The amount of potion remaining wasn’t even a mouthful. He shook the container to get the last few drops out of it. His body felt rejuvenated, but his mind still felt fuzzy. After looking at the now empty flask, Spike discarded it. If I fall asleep now, I won’t wake back up in time.

Come on, Spike, Soarin said to the dragon. You’re running yourself into the ground.

Eeyup, Big Macintosh agreed.

How about you go to the inn and sleep for a little bit? suggested the other Spike. However, Spike stopped listening to them. Spike? Hello… Spike… Are you… listening… to… us…

Spike was having another vision as he walked down the streets of Clock Town. He could see the six graves on top of the hill in Ponyville cemetery. The dragon could tell he was in an adult form, for he towered over the monuments. He looked at each of the symbols that were craved on the headstones: three apples for Applejack, three butterflies for Fluttershy, three balloons for Pinkie, three diamonds for Rarity, a cloud and lightning bolt for Dash, and a starburst for Twilight. He then read each epitaph.

Here lies Applejack the Steadfast

The Element of Honesty

A hardworking and dependable pony of the land

Dependable, Spike thought. I’ve never met a pony that was more trustworthy than her.

“Watch it!” a pony grumbled as Spike bumped into him, distracting him from the vision.

“Oh, excuse me,” Spike apologized quickly and then continued walking. The vision continued.

Here lies Fluttershy the Benevolent

Element of Kindness

A gentle soul and a caretaker of animals

Benevolent, Spike mused about the word. It indeed described the gentle Pegasus perfectly. She was even willing to give Discord another chance when nopony else would.

Here lies Pinkamena Diane “Pinkie” Pie the Joyful

Element of Laughter

A friend to all those who knew her

At least the included the ‘Pinkie’ part, Spike smirked. Future generations should know her by her preferred name.

Here lies Rarity N’Mighty the Graceful

Element of Generosity

Whose inner beauty was only matched by her outer beauty

N’Mighty…Spike stared at the words on the headstone. Envy filled his heart as he read the surname of the count she had gone to meet the morning he arrived in Trotina. It seemed to mock him. Angry, he quickly looked away and read the next epitaph.

Here lies Rainbow Dash the Brave

Element of Loyalty

A mare willing to risk her life for others

Despite her attitude and cockiness, she is willing to put her friends’ needs before her own, Spike thought as he remembered the time she was willing to almost give up her dream of becoming a Wonderbolt just because her friends were in danger.

Here lies Twilight Sparkle the Magnificent

Element of Magic

A member of the Royal Family and disciple of Celestia, Princess of the Sun

A member of the Royal Family? Spike wondered. Well, her brother is Shining Armor. He became a prince when he married Princess Cadance. Cadance is the ‘niece’ of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. I guess that makes her Celestia’s niece-in-law. Would that make her a princess? I can see it now; Lady Sparkle, Twilight Princess.

Spike laughed out loud from the thought of his caregiver being royalty. The ponies he passed gave him strange looks for sudden outburst. As the laughter ended, the feelings of melancholia returned as he remember the unfortunate truth that he will outlive the six mares by millennia. In the vision, he looked up and saw the moon. The mark of the Mare in the Moon was on its surface. The image’s eye glowed yellow and red as Spike heard an evil chuckle.

Spike yelped and the vision ended. He looked beside him and noticed that he was by the black market store which Shining Armor was hiding in. Spike wondered if the thief that the cursed colt was waiting for had shown up yet. He entered and saw an earth pony stallion moving some boxes around.

“Sorry, we don’t open until…” the shopkeeper stopped when he saw that his visitor was a young dragon. “Oh, you’re the dragon Captain Armor mentioned.” The pony reached behind the counter and pulled out a letter and gave it to Spike.

“What’s this?” Spike asked.

“He said it was for his mother,” the pony explained. “I was going to give it to her, but could you do it for me?”

“Sure,” Spike said as he took the letter.

“Oh, he also wanted me to tell you that he’s found the griffon he was looking for.”

“Really?”

“Yep, he came in around midnight last night trying to sell some stolen goods.”

“Did he have the rings?”

“No, but the captain said that he was going to follow him and see if he would lead him to his hideout.”

“Who was the griffon?” Spike asked.

“I believe his name is Gustave Le Grand,” recollected the shopkeeper. “He’s come through here a few times before.”

“What does he look like?”

“Let’s see…” the pony said as he thoughtful tapped a hoof to his chin. “He has gray fur, silvery feathers, speaks with an accent… ooh, and he had a mustache.”

Gray fur… silver feathers… a mustache… the other Spike thought.

Didn’t we see a griffon like that before? Soarin asked.

Hhhmmm… Spike tried to remember where he could have seen a griffon, then it came to him. The valley!

The eastern valley? asked Soarin. That’s right, we saw him fly down by the river.

Eeyup, confirmed Big Macintosh. Ah bet he’s hold up down in that canyon.

We got to help get those rings back! declare the other Spike. The young dragon ran out the store and saw the mailmare heading out to do her runs. He looked at the letter in his claw and ran to the gray Pegasus.

“Excuse,” Spike called to the wall eyed mare.

“Sorry, I can’t talk now,” she told him. “I got a schedule to keep.”

“But I got a letter,” he said, holding up the envelope.

“I can take that for you,” she cheerful said as Spike handed the letter over to her. “Thank you and have a nice day.”

She seems upbeat even though the moon is about to fall, Soarin remarked.

It’s not going to fall, Spike silenced him. He ran towards the nearest gate, which happened to be the one to the south. He was about to head east, but he saw the southern forest.

Could you check up on them one more time for me? Big Macintosh requested. Ah wanna make sure that those two bandits didn’t try anythin’ while Applejack was headed back.

Sure, we still got time, Spike answered as he headed towards Sweet Apple Acres. When he arrived, he saw that Applejack did in fact make it back safely. He could see the orange mare with her younger sister outside the farmhouse. Apple Bloom was playing with Winona and Applejack was staring up at the moon with a forlorn look on her face.

“Hey there, Spike!” the yellow filly cheered. Applejack looked down and gave a small smile when she saw the dragon.

“Hey Spike,” the elder sister greeted him softly. “What brings you here?”

“I just wanted to make sure that you’d made it back safely,” he told her.

“That’s mighty noble of you,” she complimented.

“Guess what!” Apple Bloom excitedly shouted. “Applejack is lettin’ me have some of the special cider! They always said it was only for big ponies, but she says that Ah’m big enough now.”

“That’s right,” Applejack confirmed. “You deserve it for fightin’ off those thieves. Ah can see that you’ve become such a big pony.” Applejack was a terrible liar. Her sister was too excited to notice, but Spike sensed that something was off. Applejack would never let a filly have some of the hard apple cider. “And Apple Bloom…”

“Yes, sis,” the little sister responded, not really paying attention.

“Sleep with me in my bed tonight, okay Apple Bloom?” Applejack asked with a faint tremble in her voice.

“Okay, sure,” she replied as she excitedly ran around with her dog. She didn’t notice, but Spike did. Applejack knew that something horrible was about to happen and she didn’t want her sister to be aware of it.

“I have to go now,” Spike told the orange earth pony. “I’m glad that you made it back safely.”

“See you… tomorrow… okay?” she said with a sad smile. Spike saw a single tear run down her cheek, which she quickly wiped away. Spike gave her an understanding, sad smile of his own and left the farm.

Spike ran through the eastern valley. It surprised the young dragon to see this place so full of life. Not too long ago it was a desolate land filled with the undead. Now, Crystal Ponies merrily frolicked through the lush fields, their prismatic coats shimmering from the light of afternoon sun. He could even see the Pie family. Pinkie’s mane had become curly again.

Spike headed down the trail to the river at the bottom of the ravine. He followed the river along the bank, headed in the direction that he saw that griffon went the other day. As he passed by some boulders he heard someone trying to get his attention.

“Psst, over here,” the voice whispered. Spike looked over to a boulder and saw a hoof waving to him. He then saw Shining Armor peeking over the rock. “Spike, hurry!”

“Shining Armor, did you find his hideout?” Spike asked as he joined him behind the rock.

“I think so,” the Unicorn answered. “I followed him here. He tapped some rocks on the wall and a secret door opened.” He pointed to a series of rocks that were protruding from the canyon wall.

“Were you able to get the combination?”

“No, I couldn’t see. His body was in the way, but I timed how long the door stays open by watching him go in and when he left a while ago.”

“How much time?”

“Five seconds,” Shining Armor reported. “All we have to do is to wait for him to come back and rush in after him.”

“Five seconds,” Spike repeated. “It’s going to be close. Well, nothing left to do but wait.”

Spike sat against the boulder while Shining Armor kept a constant watch for the return of Gustave as it grew later in the day. As Spike waited, he thought about the crystal ponies. He wondered if they were even aware of the terrible fate that awaited them at dawn. Was it all worth it? Would he be able to find the Element of Magic in time? Would he be able to save Trotina from the wrath of Nightmare Moon, or were his actions done in vain? Spike sighed and looked up to the moon in the evening sky.

Of course it’s all in vain… a dark voice said in the back of his mind.

Did any of you say something? he asked the Spirits of the Mask.

Eenope, answered Big Macintosh. Spike shrugged and went back to waiting. Then the voice spoke again.

No matter what you do, they’re all are doomed… the voice whispered to him. And not just these ponies…

The voice’s words caused Spike to think about the ponies back in Equstria. He wondered what they were doing right now.

Ponyville- Day 3, 10:00 P.M.

Twilight Sparkle felt empty inside. Despite the comforting words of Princess Celestia, the lavender Unicorn was inconsolable. She discovered that she had a son and was told that he was dead all in the same day. She had been lying on her bed crying ever sense she was told the devastating news.

She looked up from the pillow that she had been crying into and looked around her bedroom. Everywhere she looked, she saw something that reminded her of Spike. At the foot of her bed was his basket. A pain gripped her heart as she looked at the tiny basket. Spike had asked her many times for an actual bed of his own and now she regretted never getting him one.

On the dresser was the picture of her and the newly hatched baby dragon. Seeing the picture caused her to cry harder. Using her magic, she levitated the frame to her hooves. She looked at the image of the hatchling dragon and remembered how he used to crawl into her bed when he would have nightmares. With the picture cradled in forelegs, she cried herself to sleep.

*****

“Psst, he’s coming,” Shining Armor announced. Spike stood up and joined the colt in peering over the edge of the rock. They saw the griffon walking down the path. He saw wearing a black cape and top hat.

“Wow,” Spike sarcastically whispered. “If he were even more cliche, he would…” Right before Spike could say it, Gustave twirled his mustache and let out a sinister laugh as he peered over his cape. “… do that.”

The griffon tapped the stones on the wall and a secret door rose up. The griffon swooped inside the lair and Shining Armor rushed towards the door with Spike following him. The door began to lower and the pair slid under it. Spike quickly pulled his tail out from under the falling door before it got caught. Spike looked up and saw Shining Armor glaring at the griffon. Gustave Le Grand turned around and dramatically gasped when he saw the intruders in his lair.

“Les intrus!” the griffon exclaimed. “Oh? Qu'est-ce que c'est? Un poulain et un bébé dragon?”

“Give me back the rings, Gustave!” demand Shining Armor.

“Do you mean zeese rings?” the griffon as he pulled two golden rings from his cape. He tossed them on a conveyor belt and rushed to the lever. He laughed and pulled the lever, activating the belt. “Oh ho ho ho! Vat vill you do? Catch moi or save your rings?” The griffon activated a switch and went through a door that opened.

“Forget him, grab the rings!” the colt yelled. They had slipped through a tiny slot in the wall, continuing down the belt. There were two locked doors and a pressure plate on the floor. Shining Armor stood on the plate and one door open. Shining Armor ran to the door, but it close as soon as he ran off the plate. “Quick, stand on the switch!”

Spike ran to the switch and stood on it, allowing Shining Armor to enter the room. Once inside, he could see the rings slide under another slot. He saw a plate on the floor and stood on it. The door in front of Spike opened and he ran through it, causing the door to close behind Shining Armor. Inside the room was another switch which Spike proceeded to step on.

The door in front of Shining Armor opened and they repeated the process until they went through three rooms each. When the captain exited the last door, he saw that the rings were about to fail into a whole at the end of the conveyor belt. Shining Armor’s horn glowed magenta and caught the two rings right as they fell into the whole. The colt grabbed the rings and sighed with great relief.

“Um, Shining Armor?” Spike voice came from behind a locked door. “Could you please open the door?”

“Oh, sorry about that,” he apologized as he stepped on the switch.

“You got them!” Spike exclaimed as he saw the rings.

“Come on, we got to hurry!” Shining Armor shouted as they ran to the exit. They ran out the lair and up the trail to the main road out of the valley. In the distance, they could see the moon hanging dangerously close over Clock Town. Every few moments, the ground would shake. They ran through the eastern gate of the city and headed to the inn. Spike couldn’t help but to notice the time on the clock tower. It was almost morning and he was running out of time.

The two opened the inn’s door and ran up the stairs to Princess Cadance’s room. For a moment, Spike dreaded that the Alicorn wouldn’t be there. Shining Armor opened the door and his bride could be seen sitting on her bed. The two lovers looked at each other and slowly approached each other. Cadance knelt down to look her fiance in the eye. Even though he was in the body of a colt, she didn’t look alarmed. Instead, tears were falling from her eyes, but she wasn’t sobbing.

“I know you,” she whispered. “I have seen that face before. It was long ago, yet I remember. We made a promise back then, didn’t we? We promised each other that we would be together someday.”

“I’m sorry I’m late,” he told her. He levitated the rings before her and she smiled as more tears of joy fell to the floor. The two ponies hugged each other. It was a little strange, for she was a grown mare and he was in the form of a colt. They looked like mother and child instead of a couple. After hugging, they turned to Spike. “Thank you some much, Spike. We will be fine here. We will await the dawn, together.”

Spike smiled at them and then went outside the inn. He could see the faint glow of light starting to appear at the eastern horizon. The dawn was approaching and he hadn’t found the Element of Magic. He had failed. He had failed everypony. Celestia, his counterpart, Big Macintosh, Soarin, all of Trotina; they were depending on him and he let them down.

At least I was able to make some of them happy… he thought.

Just then, a spark was ignited and Spike found himself in the void again. Twilight Sparkle stood before him and a magenta gem was hovering beside her. She gave him a warm smile.

“Well done, Spike,” the mirage Twilight told him. “I’m so proud of you.”

“Is… Is this the final test?” he asked. “How did I find the spark?”

“Spike,” she began. “You helped so many ponies on your way, but by being willing to sacrifice all that you had to make them happy is true friendship.”

“But how am I going to pass the Element of Magic’s test?” asked Spike. “I can’t do magic like you can. I could change into a Unicorn, but even then I couldn’t possibly match what you’re capable of.”

“Spike,” she said with a slight chuckle. “The Element of Magic isn’t really the Element of Magic.”

“It isn’t?” the dragon asked in confusion. “Then what is it?”

“Its full name is the Element of the Friendship of Magic,” she explained. “You see, I didn’t discover the Element just because my special talent is magic, though it did help. I only was able to feel the ‘spark’ when I realized that I had true friends. Friends that were willing to follow me into the dangerous Everfree Forest to face a mighty foe. You see, Spike, I was able to discover the Element because I learned what friendship could truly be, and friendship is magic.”

As she finished her lesson, the gem levitating beside her glowed and spun. When it came to a rest, Spike saw that it became a crown with a six pointed, star shaped, magenta gem adorning it. The Element of Magic landed on Spike’s head and the vision ended.

Spike found himself back in Clock Town and the Elements of Harmony decorated the young dragon’s body, resembling golden armor. He looked up to the moon and then ran to the clock tower.