• Published 3rd Jan 2013
  • 9,786 Views, 277 Comments

The Legend of Spike: Discord's Mask - DiabloGuapo



After having his heart broken, Spike finds himself in a parrallel world and in a race against time.

  • ...
9
 277
 9,786

72 Hours Remaining

Dawn of the First Day- 72 Hours Remaining

Spike had returned to the beginning of the three day cycle for the last time. Spike looked down at watch. It hadn’t chimed like it did before the other times he had used it to travel through time. Looking at the magic meter on the side of the amulet, he noticed it was empty. He had used up the two weeks’ worth of magic that was powering the enchantment that was placed on the watch.

This is it guys, Spike addressed the three spirits in his head. We only have three more days to save Trotina.

But where is the Element of Magic? asked Soarin.

We can’t stop Nightmare Moon without it, stated the Unicorn Spike.

Don’t forget about my family, added Big Macintosh.

Or Scootaloo, Soarin reminded.

Or Rarity, Sweetie Belle, Zecora, Cranky, or Mr. Cake, added the other Spike.

There’s so much to do, Spike lamented as he thought about those ponies who needed to be saved. It chilled his blood to think of Zecora and how she was probably eaten by Timberwolves all those times he hadn’t gone to save her. Then he thought about Cranky and how he was to be boiled in oil. Mr. Cake was freezing to death and even that weirdo Tingle was headed to his doom. He looked down at the now useless amulet and sighed. And so little time.

As an answer to their dilemma, the portion of Princess Celestia’s power materialized before them and said, “Follow me.”

Obeying the ball of light, Spike followed it to the northern shrine. When the dragon reached the fountain where Princess Celestia was lying, he saw the ball of light enter into her. The Alicorn’s body shined like the sun and illuminated the fountain with a golden light. Spike shielded his eyes from the bright light and when he could look again at her, he saw that she was standing on her own four hooves. She smiled warmly as her ethereal mane that resembled the auroras flowed in a magical wind.

“Princess Celestia, are you okay?” Spike asked the white Alicorn.

“I’m fine,” she reassured. “Thanks to you and your companions’ efforts, I am whole again.”

“So, you can take on Nightmare Moon?” Spike asked hopefully. “I don’t have to find the Element of Magic?”

The regal mare shook her head. “I’m afraid that my power alone is not enough to stop her and the power of Discord’s Mask. I will need the assistance of the Elements of Harmony.”

“But I don’t know where the last one is! You said that it can only be found when the others are present.”

“Indeed. The Element of Magic will only appear when the five are present and a spark will unite them.”

“I remember the Twilight from my world saying it appeared to her when she discovered the true meaning of friendship. So how do I do that?” Spike asked.

“Spike, you’ll have to discover that on your own,” Celestia explain. “There are some things that can’t be taught, but rather must be found. Think of your experiences in this world and of the ponies you have met along the way. They will help you learn what you need to know.”

“But even if I do find the last Element,” Spike continued. “What about the curses on the land and the ponies in trouble?”

“That, I believe, is something that I can help you with,” she replied with a smirk.

“Really?” Spike asked as hope returned to him.

“You have already conquered the challenges of the Elements, it will be no problem to lift the curses now. Which reminds me…” The Princess’s horn glowed with magic and the birds that were fluttering around changed back into Pegasi and Unicorns. The royal guards shook their heads and then stood at attention.

“Princess, do you think that the Elements could restore my friends?”

Princess Celestia thought about this for a moment, and then said, “If they could bring life back to a dead land and free the Crystal Ponies of their curse, then yes, I believe so.”

“Good,” Spike said relief. The three Spirits of the Masks rejoiced from within Spike’s mind. Celestia then turned to her guards.

“Gentlecolts, you will do all that you can to aid Spike in his mission to save Trotina.”

“Yes, Your Majesty!” saluted the soldiers.

“Spike,” Celestia said to the young dragon. “Remember what you have done in the different areas of Trotina. In order to preserve the natural flow of time, you must replicate your actions. What do you need us to do to help you?”

“Well,” Spike started as he thought about the previous cycles. “We need to go right now! Zecora is going to be eaten by Timberwolves!” Celestia nodded and teleported the group to the southern forest. When they arrived, the Element of Kindness glowed and the dark clouds and mist of the forest evaporated. It wasn’t long before they found Maltida and led them to Zecora. The group made up of soldiers, an Alicorn, and a dragon found her before the wolves even showed up and helped Zecora to her hut.

“What next?” Celestia asked. Spike remembered about Rarity and Sweetie Belle and asked the Princess to transport them to the temple. Spike changed into a Unicorn, opened the sealed door, made sure to take the correct passageway, and returned with them outside. Princess Celestia then teleported them to Prince Blueblood’s castle and watched as Rarity beat the snot out of the detestable Unicorn Prince. Spike, the guards, and even Celestia couldn’t help but to laugh at Blueblood’s misfortune. The guards then dragged the deposed despot to the dungeon and then the group prepared to depart. As they were about to depart to the next location, Spike spotted Twilight Sparkle. As before, she noticed the resemblance between his Unicorn form and her own adopted son. Spike could feel his counterpart yearning to talk to his mother figure.

“Your Highness, wait,” Spike said to Celestia. She looked from Spike to Twilight and understood what he needed to do.

“Just remember, we need to hurry,” the Princess reminded.

Spike nodded and headed to the lavender mare. The Unicorn changed back into a dragon. Twilight gasped and ran to the little dragon. “Hey, Twilight.”

“Oh, Spike!” she exclaimed. “I’m so glad you’re safe! Ever since Blueblood banished you, I haven’t been able stop worrying about you.”

“Twilight, there’s…” He was cut off when the mare hugged him and started to cry.

“I was so scared,” she sobbed. “I thought that I would never be able to tell… Spike, I love you… Y-You are more than just my assistant…”

“I know,” Spike said as he patted her back.

“You… You are my son…” When Twilight said this, both Spikes were hit by a wave of emotion. The Trotina Spike longed to be the one that was embracing this Twilight and the Equestria Spike wished he that he was hugging his.

“I love you, too… Mom,” Spike was barely managed to say before his started to get choked up. He thought about what he saw in the Test of Loyalty; his Twilight was crying for him, too. “But there’s something I need to tell you…”

“What is it, Spike?” she said as she looked down at the dragon.

“I… I have to leave now,” Spike explained. Twilight looked pained and stared at Spike as he elaborated. “The Princess needs me to a mission for her. I have to go,”

“What? No…No… ” Twilight cried in despair and shook her head as more tears fell. “You just got home. You can’t leave me again. I need you!”

“I’m sorry,” Spike apologized. “But I have to go now.”

“Why, why can’t you stay?” Twilight desperately asked. “Why?”

“I have to help the Princess save Trotina. We only have three days.”

“Will you be back?”

“I hope so,” Spike answered. The pair cried as they stared at each other and then hugged each other.

“Please, come back to me,” Twilight begged. Spike wasn’t able to say anymore and turned to leave with Celestia. He turned back just in time to see the sad face of the Unicorn before they were transported to the north.

Spike wiped away the tears and realized that they had arrived in the northern mountains. As with the curse over the forest, the blizzard had ended when the Element of Generosity glowed. He saw Mr. Cake shivering nearby and transformed into Big Macintosh. He ran to give him some of his dwindling supply of blue potion. Carrot Cake’s color returned, but he was barely conscious.

“Big… Mac…?” he weary pony asked.

“You’re goin’ to be fine,” Spike responded and then turned to the guards. “Ah need somepony to take Mr. Cake back to the village. Oh, and take the Lens of Truth back to its rightful place.”

The Pegasi guards took Mr. Cake and the lens and flew to the village. Next, the group traveled to the bay and the Element of Laughter immediately cleared the fog surrounding the island in the distance. Spike changed into Soarin and led the charge into the Diamond Dogs’ lair. It wasn’t a much of a fight. In fact, the invading squad made up of royal guards, a Wonderbolt, and the ruler of Trotina dominated the foalnappers in a matter of minutes. In the end, the Diamond Dogs were begging for mercy and gladly handed Scootaloo over. Celestia transported the group to the floating city and Spike returned Scootaloo to Rainbow Dash. After the tearful reunion, Soarin through Spike explained the situation to Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo.

“If you’re going, then I coming too,” the blue mare declared.

“No, you need to take care of Scootaloo,” Spike told her. Rainbow Dash was about to protest, but looked down at her adopted sister and conceded. “Don’t worry; I’ll see you at the celebration.”

The final place they went to was the eastern valley. Unlike the others, the Element of Loyalty didn’t dispel the curse on the land for Sombra had to be dealt with. The first thing that they did was head to the graveyard. Spike met with Octavia and explained to her that he was there to help while Celestia had Tingle arrested for grave robbing. They then traveled to the other side of the valley where Spike played the Song of Storms for Vinyl Scratch and the Song of Healing for the Pie Family. Spike then went with Celestia to reclaim her castle. Her power allowed them to break through Sombra’s barrier and march through the front gates of the palace.

When they reached the throne room, Sombra came to oppose them. The Solar Princess restrained the Shadow King with her magic as Spike burned away the curtains, allowing the sunlight to vanquish the cursed Unicorn. As Sombra vanished, the Element of Loyalty was finally able to break through the double curse of Nightmare Moon and Sombra and life returned to the valley.

Spike, along with Princess Celestia and her guards, returned to Clock Town to await the Summer Sun Celebration. The dragon looked to the clock tower and saw it was just past one in the afternoon. The Princess stationed herself on the platform above the central plaza to oversee the celebration’s preparations and Spike thought of what his next course action should be.

Wow, with the Princess’s help, we were able to do in seven hours what it had took us two weeks to do before, Spike remarked.

It makes things easier when you have an Alicorn on your side, commented Soarin.

Eeyup, agreed Big Macintosh. At least we have time now to find the last Element.

But what should we do? asked the other Spike. How do we make that ‘spark’ of friendship happen?

To answer their question, the Element of Honesty started to glow and started to levitate. Spike looked at the piece of jewelry around his neck and noticed that it seemed to be trying to lead him somewhere. He followed the Element’s pull and he saw a yellow Pegasus mare with a light pink mane trotting towards the mayor’s office. As soon as Spike saw the mare, the Element stopped glowing and rested against his chest.


Fluttershy? Spike wondered when saw the gentle Pegasus. He remembered from the first cycle that she was there to tell Madam Velvet that the Wonderbolts are going to cancel their performance. He also remembered that Twilight Velvet commissioned him to find Shining Armor for Princess Cadance. Remembering his promise, he ran up to Fluttershy.

“Excuse me, Fluttershy,” he called to the mare.

“Ooh!” The yellow mare jumped in surprise when she heard the voice behind her and turned around to look at the dragon. “Oh, you startled me.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. What can I do for you?”

“Hi, my name’s Spike. I’m the private investigator Madame Velvet sent for.”

“Nice to meet you, Spike. I’m actually on my way to see Madame Velvet to tell her that the Wonderbolts have to cancel their show. You see I’m their manager and…”

“Actually, that’s what I need to talk to you about. They just sent me to tell you that they’ve found Soarin and they’ll be able to perform at the celebration.”

“Really? Oh, thank goodness,” Fluttershy sighed with relief. “I’m glad to hear that. I’ll tell her that the show will go on as scheduled.”

“Oh, could you also tell her that I’m here and I’m on the case?” Spike requested.

“Certainly,” she answered.

“Thank you. Now, if you’d excuse me, I have a missing pony to find,” Spike declared as he ran off to the place where he might get some answers; the inn. When he got there, he saw a wall eyed, gray Pegasus mailmare deliver a letter to Princess Cadance. The pink Alicorn gasped when saw the hoofwriting of her fiance on the letter.

“Where did you get this letter?” Cadance asked urgently.

“From a mailbox,” the mailmare answered innocently.

“That’s not what I meant. A mailbox where?”

“A mailbox somewhere,” the mailmare said, oblivious to what the Princess of Love meant.

“No, I mean…”

“Got to go, mail to deliver,” the gray Pegasus said as she flew out of the inn, leave the pink Alicorn confounded. She looked down at the letter that she just received and sighed.

“Your Highness,” Spike addressed the pink Alicorn, playing the role of a detective.

“Yes, how can I help you, little one?” Cadance asked as she looked up from the letter to the dragon.

“My name’s Spike, I’ve been sent to investigate the disappearance of Captain Armor,” he introduced himself.

“Oh,” she said with a little surprise. At first she doubted the young dragon but she looked at what he was wearing. “Are… Are those the Element of Harmony?”

“Yes Princess,” he confirmed.

“Then you must be some hero to obtain the Elements,” she complimented.

“Aww, I was just doing what I was told to,” he said as he blushed, but then he focused on his mission. “Anyway, I’m here to help you find your fiance. Would you happen to have any idea where he could be?”

“No, but… ,” she answered with a sad tone as she then looked at the letter in her hooves. “This letter, it’s from him.” She opened the letter and quickly read its contents.

“What does it say?” Spike asked.

“He says that he’s sorry and that he’s okay. He wants to meet at the laundry pool tomorrow at noon,” she summarized the letter and a troubled look appeared on her face. “Oh, but… what if he wants to tell me… that he doesn’t want to get married? What… What if he doesn’t love me anymore?”

Spike thought about the time he had waited with her and how he had never showed up. He must be just as nervous about the meeting as she is.

We need a mediator, the other Spike concluded.

But how do we get him to show up? Spike asked.

The mailmare! Soarin said, remembering the gray Pegasus that just delivered the letter. She must of got the letter from him, maybe she can help us.

But, what if she doesn’t tell us? Spike asked.

Then send a letter to him and follow the mailmare, suggested Big Macintosh.

“Here’s an idea,” Spike said to the upset princess. “I’ll talk to him. You can write a letter to him, telling him that you still want to get married, and then mail it. Tomorrow, I’ll follow the mailmare to him and talk to him.”

“You’d do that for me?” the pink Alicorn asked, touched by his kindness. He nodded and she pulled him into a hug. “Oh, thank you so much. I write the letter right away.”

After writing the letter, the two went outside, found the nearest mailbox, and sent the letter. Spike then asked, “When does the mailmare begin her run?”

“I believe she begins at nine in the morning,” she answered.

“I guess we just have to wait until then,” Spike replied. Cadance then returned to the inn, a little relieved to know that someone was helping her. However, she was still filled with anxiety. Spike then looked down at the Element of Honesty, amazed that the magical artifact had led them to where he needed to be. As he looked at the apple shaped gem, he suddenly remembered that he had made a ‘Pinkie Promise’ to Applejack. It was time to fulfill his vow.

Spike ran out the southern gate and headed to Sweet Apple Acres. By Celestia’s command, the guard moved aside for Spike. The dragon made his was down the road and passed by the Flim Flam Brother’s stand.

“Well, looky at…” Flim began to say his sales pitch, but Spike just ran passed him. He transformed into Big Macintosh and moved the fallen tree out of the road.

Big Mac, do you want me to say something to your family?

Eenope, declined the Earth Pony. Ah’ll rather speak to them face to face.

Spike changed back into a dragon and ran to the farm. He saw Applejack in the orchard and started a repeat of the conversation that they previously had a couple three day cycles ago.

“Well howdy there,” the orange mare greeted. “Ah’m Applejack, and welcome to our farm. Wait, did you come here from Clock Town?”

“Yes I did,” Spike confirmed.

“Well now, that means somepony moved that tree that was blocking the road. Ah was plannin’ on doin’ it myself, but was rather busy with all the weddin’ business.”

“I’m guessing that you’re handling the catering for the wedding.”

“That’s right. Ah was hired to handle all the caterin’ for it,” she explained. “Ah was so busy with all the bakin’, buckin’, and cider makin’ that Ah didn’t think Ah’d ever get to movin’ that tree out of the way. Well, Ah got to get back to work. There’s still a lot to do before the weddin’. Why don’t you go say ‘hi’ to my sister and granny over there?”

Spike ran up to the farm house and saw the elderly Earth Pony and the little yellow filly. This time, Granny Smith was awake, but Apple Bloom was still practicing for the fight against the ‘ghosts’ tonight.

“Hey there,” the red maned filly cheerfully greeted as she saw the dragon approaching her. “Ah’m Apple Bloom. What’s your name?”

“I’m Spike,” the dragon introduced himself again.

“Hm, Spike?” the filly said with a thoughtfully look. “That’s nice in all, but how about…”

“Not ‘Grasshopper,’” Spike rejected even before she could say the nickname.

“Huh, how did you…” she began to ask.

“Not ‘Grasshopper,’” he repeated.

“Aw, okay…” she gave up.

“It looks like you’re preparing for a battle,” he commented, nodding to the scarecrow.

“Ah’m practicing for tonight.” Her face became serious. “Because ‘they’ are comin’ tonight.”

“Who’s coming,” Spike asked, but he already knew the answer.

“The ghosts,” she explained. “They come around this time every year to steal our apples. My sister says that Ah’m just dreaming, but Ah’ve seen them! But you believe me, don’t you?” Again, she gave him a sad pouty-face.

“Of course, I’ll even help you fight them,” Spike told her.

“You will?” she asked excitedly. “Oh, thank you!”

“No problem. So what’s the plan?”

“Well, they come early in the morning’ around two when everypony is asleep. When they come sneakin’ to the barn, we’ll jump out and fight them off!”

“Hmm, how about this,” Spike suggested. “You stand on lookout and I’ll wait by the door for them. When you see them come to the door, give me a sign and I’ll jump out and scare them off with my fiery breath.”

“Ooh, teamwork! That’s a great idea! Ah’ll moo like a cow when the time comes.”

“Okay, it’s a plan.”

“Granny!” she called out to old, bright green Earth Pony. “This is Spike, he gonna help me fight off the ghost!”

“That’s nice dear,” the elderly pony said even though she didn’t believe in the ‘ghost.’

“Can Spike stay for supper?” Apple Bloom asked with a irresistible face.

“Of course he can,” Granny Smith answered as she gave a welcoming smile to the young dragon. Actually, Spike was quite grateful for the dinner invitation. Just like the Apple Family back in Equstria, they were incredible chefs. Spike had a delicious dinner of various apple products. Toast with apple jam, apple fritters, apple turnovers, and other delectable dishes.

After the meal, the family started to settle in and call it a night. Spike was offered the guest bedroom, which was mainly used by Big Macintosh whenever he had time to visit. Unfortunately, his duties didn’t allow him to have much time to visit.

Spike didn’t attempt to catch a few hours of sleep, for he didn’t want to accidentally sleep through the operation. He knew what would happen if he didn’t help Apple Bloom; the farm will be accidentally burnt down. Spike took a swig of some of his remaining blue potion to help him stay awake. When the time came, he quietly sneaked out of the room, not wanting to wake the others. He looked down the hall and saw Apple Bloom doing the same. They nodded to each other and headed outside to the barn.

Apple Bloom stationed herself by a window on the second level and Spike sat beside her, ready to hop down to the door when they saw them coming. Apple Bloom strained her eyes, trying to look for the burglars in the night. Spike could see better in the dark than she could and spotted the ‘ghosts’ approaching the edge of the farm. They weren’t ghosts at all, but two ponies wearing sheets. Judging by the bumps on their heads, they were Unicorns.

Two Unicorns coming to cause trouble for the Apples, take a wild guess who that could be, Spike remarked to the spirits in his head.

The Flim Flam Brothers, the other Spike answered.

Eeyup, Big Macintosh said with a not too pleased tone.

They want trouble, we’ll give them trouble, Soarin growled.

“They’re coming,” Spike whispered and pointed to the pathetically disguised thieves. He hoped down to the door and waited for Apple Bloom’s sign.

After a minute or two, Apple Bloom waved at Spike and said, “Moo!”

Spike pulled opened the doors so suddenly that the ‘ghosts’ jumped back in alarm. To startle them even more, a green jet of flame shot between them.

“Aahhh! A monster!” a voice than belonged to Flam yelled.

“Let’s get out of here!” Flim’s voice shouted from beneath one of the sheets. The pair ran and Spike chased after them for a few yards, breathing fire at them. In their panic, they dropped their sheets so that they could get away faster, revealing their identities to Spike. Spike smirked at the retreating thieves and headed back to Apple Bloom.

“Spike, that was amazin'!” she cheered.

“It was nothing,” he modestly claimed and handed over the sheets. “Here’s some evidence to show your family.”

“Thank you for helping me save the apples,” she said as she took the sheets in her hooves. “Ah should get to bed. Goodnight, little hero.”

She blushed and leaned forward to give Spike a quick peck on the cheek. Spike stood there stunned as she ran back to the house.