• Published 3rd Jan 2013
  • 9,756 Views, 277 Comments

The Legend of Spike: Discord's Mask - DiabloGuapo



After having his heart broken, Spike finds himself in a parrallel world and in a race against time.

  • ...
9
 277
 9,756

Bargaining Cycle: Final Day

Dawn of the Final Day- 24 Hours Remaining

Trixie hadn’t been kidding when she said that her large Pegasus assistant snores. It was like sleeping beside a train, but Spike couldn’t fall sleep anyway. The blue magic potion that Zecora had given him acted as a stimulant. Spike couldn't have been more awake than if he had drunk an entire pot of coffee, not that he’d ever had coffee before. Twilight always said it would stunt his growth and that he didn’t need it. Spike knew many ponies that couldn’t start their day without a steaming mug of the brew. Trixie must sleep like a rock, for she hadn’t stirred once during the night, even with the snoring coming from her assistant. The earmuffs she wore must have been completely soundproof.

Spike looked over to Carrot Cake, who was still curled up by the fireplace. He appeared to be doing much better ever since he gave the amber stallion a drink of the potion. Looking outside, Spike noticed that the weather was relatively calm for the moment. Now would be their best time to act.

“Mr. Cake,” Spike said as he gently roused the sleeping pony. Carrot Cake stirred and looked around, blinking his eyes.

“Big Macintosh?” Mr. Cake asked as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes in order to clear up his sight. “Is that you?”

“Eeyup,” Spike answered with the large Earth Pony’s catchphrase.

“Am I dead?” asked Mr. Cake suddenly worried. He looked around the wagon, wondering if Paradise was the inside of a traveling magician’s wagon. With the noise of the buff Pegasus' loud snoring, it could have just as easily been the fiery depths of Tartarus.

“Eenope,” Spike told Carrot to reassure him that he was still amongst the living.

“What happened? The last thing I remember, I was heading up the trail to the old shrine. I heard a noise, like the whinnying of some angry ponies, and then I woke up here.”

“Ah found you half frozen on the path,” Spike explained. “Ah brought you here. The village is that way.” Spike nodded his head in the direction of the Earth Pony village to the east. Spike rose to his hooves and prepared to leave.

Shouldn’t we wake Trixie and thank her for her hospitality? asked Spike’s counterpart.

That’d be the neighborly thing to do, agreed Big Macintosh. Spike inwardly groaned, but he knew that they were right. She may be obnoxious, but she did help them in a tight spot. Carrot Cake might not have made it if she didn’t take them in. Spike walked over to the sleeping showmare and gently shook her shoulder. A hoof shot out from under the covers and smacked Spike right in the muzzle. Seeing stars, the stallion fell back onto his haunches and rubbed his throbbing nose.

“What in tarnation was that for!” demanded the Earth Pony with a sore nose. Trixie had bolted up and looked around for an intruder, but only saw the two Earth Ponies that came in last night seeking shelter from the blizzard.

“Oh, um…” Trixie she stumbled for the right words, embarrassed. She regained her composure and put on a look of superiority. “One does not wake Great and Powerful Trixie in such a manner. She thought that you might have been a burglar.”

“Whatever,” Spike grunted. “Ah’m headed back to the shrine, can you make sure my friend makes it home?”

“You’re going back out there!?” exclaimed a shocked Carrot Cake. “It's too dangerous! The last time you went, everypony thought you had died!”

“Ah know, but Ah got to do it,” declared Spike as he exited the wagon. “If Ah don’t, the blizzard will last forever.”

Also the moon will fall, Spike thought.

Eeyup, but don’t tell them that, added the voice of Big Macintosh. They already have too much to worry about.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie will allow him a ride with us to the village. Hey!” Trixie used her magic to toss her earmuff at the sleeping Pegasus. “Wake up! We’re moving on!”

The earmuffs hit the snoring Pegasus in the head. He snorted loudly as he woke up. He mumbled in confusion and shook his head to clear it. He flew out of the wagon and strapped himself to the harness. With a shout of “Yeah!” he started to haul the wagon to the village.

At least he enjoys his job, remarked Spike as he watch the wagon pull away. He really must love the workout.

Or has great patience, added Big Macintosh.

Or is completely deaf so he doesn’t have to listen to her bragging, joked the alternate version of Spike. All three of them laughed as they headed down the trail that would lead them to the Element of Generosity.

As they walked up the trail, Big Macintosh and the other Spike were asking their “host” questions about Equestria.

So you’re saying that the cities have a more diverse population of ponies? asked the Unicorn Spike.

For the most part, clarified Spike. Some cities are more diverse than others. Cloudsdale is an all Pegasi city because it’s made entirely of clouds. Appleloosa is all Earth Ponies for some reason. I don’t remember seeing any Unicorns or Pegasi there. Other than that, the cities have a blend of all three.

Except for Clock Town, the major cities here only have one type of ponies leaving in them, explained the other Spike. Mainly because the Pegasi’s cities are made of clouds and Blueblood is a royal jerk. The Earth Ponies really don’t have large cities but live in many small settlements scattered across Trotina. They still live in harmony though. The Earth Ponies are the main suppliers of food, the Pegasi still manage the weather, and the Unicorns are the leaders in the fields of magic, technology, art, mining, and diplomacy. Well, that is until Blueblood became the Prince of the Unicorns. He practically shut of the southern forest from the rest of the kingdom and only uses its resources for his own selfish desires.

When all this is over, Ah’m gonna buck him across the back of the head, stated Big Macintosh. Spike laughed out loud in agreement and fondly remembered the thrashing that Rarity gave him. When he finished laughing, he notice that they were at the place where they had found Carrot Cake yesterday. Looking ahead, he saw the perilous trail up to the shrine.

This is it, Big Mac versus the Mountain, round two, Spike thought. He could sense Big Macintosh metaphorically beckon the mountain with his hooves as to say “Bring it on.”

The narrow bridge that connected the mountains creaked with each step that Spike took. He kept telling himself not to look down and to keep on moving. The bridge wasn’t too long, but when you’re standing on a rickety, wooden bridge over ravine during a snowstorm, that bridge could seem like it went on forever. After crossing the bridge, Spike finally looked over the edge. The drop was daunting, and then he looked up. The height of the towering mountain was even more daunting. Moaning in exasperation, Spike proceeded to ascend up the trail. This trail was even narrower than the one on the other side of the bridge, and it was also steeper. The snow wasn’t helping either. Even with Big Macintosh’s long legs, it was a struggle to push through the fallen snow that lay on the trail. As the elevation increased, so did the strength of the wind. Spike had to walk with a foreleg raised to shield his eyes from the stinging wind. Walking with three legs wasn’t as easy as with four, but it was either that or to walk with his eyes closed.

By the time Spike was near the summit, he was crawling in the snow in attempt to not be blown away by the hurricane like winds. He inched his way forward, but stopped when he heard the sound of whinnying. He looked up at the storm and saw three ghostly beings circling in the clouds: Windigos. The winter spirits resembled spectral horses. Their bodies were transparent and their eyes glowed blue.

Windigos! exclaimed Spike. What are they doing here? I thought they feed off hatred.

It must be due to Nightmare Moon’s curse, reasoned the other Spike.

How do we get rid of them? asked Big Macintosh.

They can’t stand laughing, singing, and friendship, explained Spike.

Know any good jokes? the other Spike asked his compatriots.

Eenope, answered the Earth Pony.

Wait, let me try, Spike offered.

“Hey, Windigos!” Spike yelled up to the spirits, but they didn’t respond. “What do ya’ll get when you cross a chicken and skunk? A fowl smell!” The Windigos didn’t even bother to look down at the stallion.

Um, I don’t think it works like that, the other Spike pointed out. I think you need to laugh, and that wasn’t even that funny.

Everypony is a critic… Spike muttered. Besides, Pinkie Pie is the Element of Laughter, not me.

I got! What’s black and blue and red all over? asked the Unicorn Spike.

A newspaper? guessed Spike.

No, Blueblood after Rarity beat the snot out of him! This got Spike to chuckle, and the Windigos took notice. If Blueblood fell into poison joke, do you think he would actually grow a brain? Spike chortled and the circling Windigos neighed in displeasure. Blueblood’s head is so swollen with arrogance that I’m surprised he can even fit through a door! Spike let out a loud laugh. The Windigos thrashed about at the sound of the stallion’s amusement as though it was painful to them. If he was even more puffed up, they would have to tie him down so that he won’t float away! With one last belly laugh from Spike, the Windigos wailed in pain and vanished. The clouds dissipated with the departing of the winter spirits.

Spike wiped a tear from his eye with his hoof and caught his breath after laughing so hard. You got to remember those for when we go for the Element of Laughter.

Thank you, I’m here all week, the Unicorn comedian said as he bowed to an imaginary audience. With the storm gone, Spike quickly rushed to the shrine at the summit. Inside, the Element of Generosity rested on an altar. Spike grabbed the stone orb and found himself in a void as he expected. Also as he expected, Rarity stepped out of the darkness.

“Hello Spike,” the white Unicorn greeted with a dignified tone of voice. “I know that you have reservations about this encounter.” Spike looked uncomfortably at the nonexistent floor of the void. “But I assure you, I am delighted to see you.”

“I wish I could talk to the real you,” said the conflicted dragon. “I really wish you could see me now and at all the things I’ve been doing.”

“I’m sure that the real me would love to hear of your thrilling escapades,” the mirage reassured. A purple gem floated beside her. “However, we have business to attend to.”

“Yeah, I guess we do,” Spike agreed. After his experience with the Element of Kindness test, he was secretly dreading whatever punishment this one was ready to administer to him.

“I know what you’re thinking,” she stated. “Don’t worry, dear. This test will not be as beastly as the previous one. Actually, I’m quite ready to give the Element to you.”

“Really?” Spike hopefully asked, thrilled at the prospect of skipping the challenge.

“Oh yes, you are the most generous dragon there is,” the violet maned mare complimented. “In fact, I admire your willingness to help others. You are so devoted to your duties in the library. You are always eager to lend me a claw whenever you come to the boutique.” Her smiling face then became serious. “However, I still have to test you.”

“Oh,” Spike said, disappointed.

“Don’t fret, Spike,” she comforted the dragon. “I am just going to ask you a few questions.”

“Okay then, ask away.”

“Why are you going on this quest?”

“Huh?” The question caught him off-guard. “What do you mean?”

“Why are you going on this quest?” she repeated.

“I’m trying to save this world from Nightmare Moon,” Spike causally answered as though it was the most obvious question.

“Yes, but who are doing it for?”

“I’m doing for the ponies of the Trotina.”

“Are you?”

“Of course!”

“Are you sure that you’re not doing it for yourself?”

“Myself?” Spike was confused. What did she mean? “What are you talking about?”

“It is one thing to do a good deed for others, but it is another to do it for recognition,” the illusion explained. “A generous act can turn it an act of greed if done with the wrong intention. Look to this world’s Big Macintosh and Trixie. Big Macintosh is seen as hero amongst the Earth Ponies because he heroically stands up for them. No pony asked him to be a hero but he did it anyways because he knew that his friends needed him. Trixie, on the other hoof, claims that she is great and powerful, but only uses her magic to do tricks so that she can gain recognition and fame. Now tell me, are you doing this quest just so that you would be also seen as a hero? Be honest with me.”

“Well, ever since I talked to Fluttershy, I thought that maybe I could impress you if I saved an entire parallel world,” Spike meekly admitted. “She said that love could grow where it didn’t before. I hoped that you could love me if you thought that I was a hero. But I really am doing it for the ponies of Trotina!”

“Spike,” Rarity sighed. “You are a wonderful dragon and you are very brave, but you think that by being a hero will change the way I feel about you? You saved the Crystal Empire by returning the Crystal Heart. You also stopped yourself when you went on a rampage during your fit of greed-growth. You bravely stood up to Diamond Dogs and teenage dragons. You already are a hero. Also remember what you have learned from the test of the Element of Kindness. You can’t force a somepony to love you. It has to be something that they freely return. Otherwise, it isn’t really love.”

“So, you’ll never be able to love me,” Spike said despondently.

“Spike,” Rarity said with a compassionate look. “I cannot answer that. I am only a representative of the Rarity that is in your memories; therefore I cannot speak for her of what she will do in the future. What I can say is that you should let her make the next move. You have made your intentions known to her, but she wasn’t interested in you in the way that you had hoped. If she ever changes her mindset least she knows that you are there for her. However, don’t wait around forever for her and waste your life way in the hopes that she will change her mind. Don’t look on with envious eyes as she finds happiness and moves on with her life.”

The vision ended and Element of Generosity was now on Spike’s left forehoof as a gold bracer with a purple gem in the center. Even though he passed the test, he felt as though he had lost something more. Even though the mirage Fluttershy that love could grow where it wasn’t before and the mirage Rarity said that it he should wait to see if the Rarity would make the next move, Spike knew that she wouldn’t. She left to be with that Count High N’Mighty. She even told him the reason why she couldn’t be with him. It was hopeless; he had lost her.

Spike, are you okay? asked his counterpart, sensing his sorrow.

I’m fine, he told the voice. Let’s just go back to the village. The voice in his head knew otherwise, but didn’t press the matter.

The trip back down the mountain was easier now that the curse had ended. The clouds had vanished, and the snow started to melt under the late spring sun. When he returned to the village, the inhabitants came out into the street to praise the return of their hero.

“You did it!” cheered Mr. Cake with his wife standing beside him. “You saved the village!”

“Thank you so much for finding Carrot!” Cup Cake thanked Spike as she shed tears of gratitude.

“How are the foals?” Spike asked.

“They’re asleep,” answered the blue mare.

“Let’s hear it for Big Macintosh, the greatest hero of the Earth Ponies!” All the villagers joined in the shout of praise. “Come on everypony, let’s celebrate by having another Winter Wrap Up!”

The ponies sang merrily as they used their plows to clear the snow. Their singing actually did lift Spike’s spirits a little. He couldn’t help but to smile and sing along to the Winter Wrap Up song. It was just too catchy. Using the strong body of Big Macintosh, Spike shared in the responsibility and plowed alongside of the other Earth Ponies. They cleared the fields, the orchards, and the streets of the village of the snow. Soon enough, the valley started to resemble how it should on the day before the beginning of summer. Spike was still humming the song when the sun started to set.

However, Spike’s happy mood vanished when he looked to the southern sky. Now that the clouds that were shrouding the mountains had cleared, he could see the moon looming over Trotina. The image of the Mare in the Moon seemed to be glaring down maliciously at the inhabitants of the world. It was a dreadful reminder what should happen if Spike should fail. Returning to the privacy of Big Macintosh’s cottage, Spike transformed back into a dragon. Returning to normal always felt so much better than changing into another form. It was like his body could rest after from being contorted. Pulling out the amulet, he pressed the button and returned to the past.

Ponyville- Day 2, 6:00 P.M.

Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo met back at the Cutie Mark Crusaders clubhouse. They had spent the entire afternoon searching for the missing dragon. Ever since the heard from Applejack and the others that Spike was missing, they got it in their heads that they could earn their cutie marks as “missing dragon locator ponies.”

“Well, that was a total bust,” remarked a disappointed Scootaloo.

“Maybe we’re not ‘missing dragon locator ponies’ after all,” Sweetie Belle added.

“Come on ya’ll, we can’t quit after two days,” Apple Bloom tried to motivate her Unicorn and Pegasus partners.

“Actually, Apple Bloom, we usually move on to the next activity after a few hours,” Sweetie Belle said to the yellow Earth Pony. “We never tried something like this before.”

“Ah know, but we can’t give,” urged Apple Bloom. “This is Spike we’re talkin’ about. He’s our friend and we always help a friend in need.”

“Yeah, but where could he be?” asked Scootaloo. “We've already searched everywhere in Ponyville. Everypony has! Rainbow Dash has already checked Froggy Bottom Bog, Ghastly Gorge, and Rambling Rock Ridge. Fluttershy has even searched the Everfree Forest with her animal friends. Where else could we look?”

“Ah don’t know,” admitted Apple Bloom.

“It’s like he’s vanished into thin air,” remarked Sweetie Belle.