• Published 3rd Jan 2013
  • 9,755 Views, 277 Comments

The Legend of Spike: Discord's Mask - DiabloGuapo



After having his heart broken, Spike finds himself in a parrallel world and in a race against time.

  • ...
9
 277
 9,755

Sequel News and Chapter Notes

Sequel News and Chapter Notes

I’m currently planning a sequel to the story. It will be based on the game Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet. It will take place on an island that is falling apart instead of a planet. The island will be off the coast of Zecora’s homeland. My dilemma is that I don’t know if I want to use dinosaurs or African animals. If I use dinosaurs, it would be even more of a crossover than if I use African animals. I want to know what everybody thinks I should use. Please post your preference in the comments below: Dinosaurs or African animals? I won’t be posting a new chapter every day like last time. It was exhausting doing that. In the meantime, enjoy some trivia.

Chapter One

• The name of the chapter is a reference to the Happy Mask Salesman’s infamous line.
• I divided the Ocarina of Time into the Watch Amulet and Spike’s flute from “Hurricane Fluttershy.”
• “It looks all dark and gloomy, almost like it could start crying any second now,” is a quote directly from the game said by Tatl. The Trotina Spike is playing the role of the Deku Butler’s son.
• The salesman is played by the pony that sold Trixie the Alicorn Amulet in “Magic Duel.”
[img] http://images.wikia.com/mlp/images/b/b0/Merchant_Pony_S3E5.png [/img]
• Trotina is MLP version of the name Termina.
• The name Clock Town remained the same because I couldn’t come up with a decent name.
• I placed a limit on the watch’s use to make the time limit more urgent.

Chapter Two

• I chose the Unicorns to represent the Deku because Link popped Jim’s balloon with the Deku’s magic snot bubble. The best analogy for this was Unicorn magic. Besides, Earth Ponies best represent Gorons with their strength and Pegasi best represent the Zora’s with their agility.
• I used the music from the game itself for the background music. The only exception is for the version of the “Fairy Fountain” I used called “the Goddess Appears”

I used this as Princess Celestia’s theme because it sounds more divine than the other version.
• Princess Celestia is playing the role of the Great Fairies and the Four Giants. Princess Luna is playing the role of the Skull Kid. Nightmare Moon and Discord are playing the role of Majora’s Mask.
• My story, like the game, is based off the five stages of grief. Each stage is paired with the Element of Harmony that is best used to overcome that stage. For example, Honest overcomes Denial.
• Babs Seed plays the role of Jim, and the Doctor plays the Astronomer.
• A lot of the roles were based on the casting of Shining Armor as Kafei and Cadance as Anju. Night Light and Twilight Velvet had to play the roles of the Mayor and his wife.
• When it comes to casting, Fluttershy got the short end of the stick. I wanted all of the Mane 6 to have roles in the story, and the only spot that she fit into was Toto the Manager. Since I made the Pegasi the Zoras, I knew she had to be one. She wouldn’t fit in as well as a Wonderbolt and the only other spot was Toto.
• I wanted the Mane 6’s side story to move parallel to the main story, so I divided it up into four hour intervals.

Chapter Three

• I decided it to make a running gag out of Spike’s insomnia based on the fact that Link never sleeps in the game.
• Spike’s comment to the moon is based off of this

• This chapter serves as a buildup to Spike’s first trial.

Chapter Four

• I wanted to explore Celestia’s thoughts and feelings concerning the incident with Nightmare Moon a thousand years ago through her conversation with Spike and later with the conversation with Twilight. In the show, little is said about the matter, but I imagine it was heartbreaking for Celestia to be forced to banish her sister to the moon.
• Since I decided to have Spike stay awake for the entire adventure, I had to keep coming up with new ways to keep him awake. Here, Celestia’s magic does it.
• There are three versions of the Mane 6 in my story: the Equestria versions, the Trotina versions, and the versions made up of Spike’s memories and the Elements’ magic.
• In the Trial of Honesty, Spike has to literally face himself.

Chapter Five

• The meter on the side of the watch is a reference to the magic meter in most Zelda games.
• In a way, Twilight Sparkle and Rarity (Equestria versions) play the roles of Princess Zelda and Navi.
• The portions of Celestia’s power travelling back through time with Spike were a way for me to have Celestia to be able to travel back with Spike. It also served as an excuse to incapacitate her for most of the story.
“It’s a secret to everybody,” said by Trotina Spike is a famous line from many Zelda games.
• I had donkeys (Matilda and Cranky) play the roles of the monkeys. I was going to have two Zecoras, a red striped and a blue striped, to play the roles of Koume and Kotake, but I decided not to. I had Matilda fill in for Kotake and be the one searching for Zecora(Koume).
• I use the blue potion from here on as the means to keep Spike awake.
• I support the Spike/Rarity pairing and I wanted Rarity to discover her feelings for Spike after seeing the Fire Ruby he gave her in “Secret of my Excess” and from feeling regret for what she said to him after returning from the disastrous encounter with Count High N’Mighty.

Chapter Six

• Prince Blueblood and his guards were ideal to show the xenophobia of the Deku.
• Zecora once again fills the role Koume by rowing Spike to the palace.
“It is fine, Spike, for the hospitality of the Sire,” said Zecora. “Is as pleasant as this Misery Mire.” Misery Mire is the name of a level from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
“To go alone is dangerous.” She tossed it to Spike, and when he caught it, he saw it was a flask. “Take this.” is a rendition of the famous Zelda line, “It’s dangerous to go alone, take this.”
• I had a lot of fun coming up with ideas for Blueblood’s paintings.
• I had Sweetie Belle join Rarity in playing the role of the Deku Princess because I wanted all of the CMC to have roles. Apple Bloom is Romani, Scootaloo is the Zora eggs, and Sweetie Belle is the Deku Princess.
• Originally, I was going to have Rarity’s father play the king, but I wanted Spike to be bitter at the thought of Blueblood being engaged to Rarity to tie in the theme of the Anger Stage.
• I got the concept of “the Wheel of Punishment” and the lines “Community service, please be community service!” and “Looks like it’s ‘Boiled in Oil,’” from Avatar: the Last Airbender.
• I support the relationship between Twilight and Spike as being a mother/son relationship. My goals for this story were: make a Majora’s Mask crossover, explore the five stages of grief, write a Spike/Rarity pairing story, and write a story that developed Spike’s relationship with his adoptive mother.

Chapter Seven

• The temple trap scene was inspired by “the Raiders of the Lost Ark.”
• Spike fight with the Timberwolves in this chapter and chapter five is the “boss fight” of this section.
• I was going to have Owlowiscious in this chapter as Kaepora Gaebora to teach Spike the Song of Soaring, but decided to drop it because there wouldn’t be a need for it.
• The Element of Kindness is the ideal opposite of the Stage of Anger.

Chapter Eight

• I was going to have Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon play the role of the Goron Baby, but the Cake Twins fitted the role better. I know Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are whinny and annoying, but I needed infants to play the Goron Baby.

Chapter Nine

• Mr. Cake plays the role of the Goron Elder.
• Trixie and the large Pegasus from “Hurricane Fluttershy” play the roles of the blacksmiths.

Chapter Ten

• The Windigos serve as this section’s “boss fight.”
• Originally, this was going to be the Trial of Loyalty. However, Generosity serves as a better opposite to Bargaining and Loyalty goes with Acceptance.
• With each Trial, Spike’s internal turmoil increases.

Chapter Eleven

• The Flim Flam Brothers play the roles of the Gorman Brothers and the Apple Family plays the roles of Romani and Cremia.
• I’m not really a Soarin/Rainbow Dash shipper, but it works well for this story. However, I do support Rainbow/Scootaloo as an adoptive big sister/little sister relationship.
• I was going to have the Griffons play the roles of the Pirates and the Diamond Dogs were going to be Sakon the Thief.
• The song Rarity sings is called “Am I Blue.” Out of all of the versions there are, I prefer the one that Batman sings.

Batman is awesome.

Chapter Twelve

• Spike starts to have insomnia induced delusions in this chapter.
“No, not the bees! Not the bees!” is from the movie “the Wicker Man.”

• Rainbow Dash plays the role of Lulu the Singer.
• Twilight’s dream teaches her the Song of Healing. It also foreshadows Spike’s encounter with BEN.

Chapter Thirteen

• I combined Great Bay Temple and Pinnacle Rock because the Quarray eels represent the giant sea snakes perfectly. They are also the “boss fight” of this section.
• The Trial of Laughter serves as the ideal opposite to the Stage of Depression.
• Spike is my favorite MLP: FIM character. I always found Spike to be tragic character because the sad fact is that is he is going to outlive most of his friends by centuries or even millennia.

Chapter Fourteen

• The Ikana Valley is represented by the Crystal Empire.
• I was inspired to add Tingle into the story by HungryPony.
• Octavia and Vinyl Scratch play the roles of the Composer Brothers and Gomess the Vampire, the sub-boss of Stone Tower.

Chapter Fifteen

• The Olden Pony from “Sleepless in Ponyville” makes a cameo appearance.
• The griffon that appears in this chapter foreshadows the Sakon character.
• Pinkie Pie’s family plays the roles of Pamela and her father.
• My description of Vinyl’s vampire face is how I imagine vampire should look.
• Spike fights the dreaded Wallmaster in this chapter.

Chapter Sixteen

• King Sombra plays the role of Igos du Ikana.
• I was inspired to add the dancing ReDeads by GoldenBrassPony.
• Even though I mostly used the game’s music, I thought about using these versions

• During the Trial of Loyalty, I used this video [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jJeHBtY5m9s] because I think the music from Dragon Ball Z fits it perfectly.
• BEN is the “boss” of this section.
• In this chapter, I used Celestia’s conversation with Twilight to further explore her feelings about banishing her own sister.

Chapter Seventeen

• I used Celestia’s teleportation in place of the Song of Soaring.
• I didn’t want to include aliens in my story, so I had the Flim Flam Brothers fill in.

Chapter Eighteen

• As Spike becomes more delirious, he grows more distant from his friends.
• Derpy plays the role of the Postman.

Chapter Nineteen

• Gustave Le Grand plays the role of Sakon.
• I included the sad scene from the game where Cremia gives Romani Chateau Romani and asks her to sleep with her in her bed that night. It’s implied that the drink is alcoholic and Cremia wanted to get her sister drunk so that she would be unconscious as the world was destroyed.
• Gustave speaks French. Here are the translations: “Les intrus!” Intruders! “Qu'est-ce que c'est? Un poulain et un bébé dragon?” What is this? A colt and a baby dragon?
• As I had Twilight explain, I think the Element of Magic should really be called the Element of the Magic of Friendship. After all, Friendship is Magic.

Chapter Twenty

• For the final battle, I merged Nightmare Moon and Discord into one monster.
• I was unsure if I wanted to include the Fierce Deity Mask, but I figured that it was the only way to stop Discord.
• I was considering to have this to be the battle music

• During the final battle, Discord placed a curse on Spike before he was defeated.

Chapter Twenty-one

• Originally, I was going to have a more tragic ending. All of Spike’s companions were going to remain dead at the end, but that was too much of a downer.
• Luna’s yelling at the merchant was based of the Majora’s Mask Manga’s ending where Link calls the Salesman a trouble maker.

Chapter Twenty-two

• Twilight singing “You are my Sunshine” is in memory of my mother. She used to sing that song to me and my siblings. As Twilight sings the song, it interferes with the nightmare curse that Discord placed on Spike.
• The encounter in the cave was inspired by these pictures
• The last chapter is a Twilight Princess crossover. If you know how the Zelda Timeline(s) work, then you know that the Oracina of Time/ Majora's Mask Link (a.k.a. Hero of Time) shows up as the Hero's Shade in Twilight Princess to teach that Link (a.k.a. Chosen Hero) sword techniques. When the Chosen Hero would come across a howling stone, he would howl a song in order for the Hero of Time to teach him a new techniquue. The first song he howls is the Song of Healing. You later learn that the Hero of Time was filled with regret for being unable to pass on "lessons of his life to those who came after him." By playing the Song of Healing and learning his lessons, the Chosen Hero is able to put his predecessor's soul to rest. When Twilight Sparkle sang it with Spike, it was supposed to be like this

The only reason I didn't post this video in the chapter was because I didn't want to make it seem that she was howling like a wolf at him. By singing the song to him, she was able to lift the curse that Discord had placed on him and was also able to heal his broken heart.