• Published 4th Dec 2012
  • 1,619 Views, 84 Comments

Son of Change - twow443



A darkness is rising over the horizon as Shade's story continues.

  • ...
7
 84
 1,619

End of Shadows

Chapter 8-End of Shadows

Fluttershy truly did love her changeling. Even though being with him caused her to be alienated, attacked, used in a plot to drive him out of town and of course, kidnapping.

But if she continued to be kidnapped to bring him to her, she was going to have a serious talk with him.

“Let me go!” Fluttershy strained against the metal chain holding her to the tree. She was in the Everfree Forest with Misty, waiting for Shade to arrive.

Misty scoffed. “Please. Why would I do that?”

Fluttershy racked her brains. “Because, he won't ever look for me here! Yeah, so you should just let me go.”

The changeling started laughing. “Oh come on. You think that I didn't notice your little “code” in the letter? Good job trying to pass it off as being nervous.”

Fluttershy fumed in anger. She realized what she had done, lured Shade into a trap. And he'd come, she knew that. But the pegasus was confused. “Shade trusts you right now. Why did you even have to kidnap me?”

Landing in front of Fluttershy, Misty got right in her face. “Here's the thing, pegasus. I don't like you. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that I rather hate you. You stole Shade from me and for a while I didn't know what to do. But now, it's clear to me. My mother said that it was okay for me to kill you, so that's what is gonna happen when he arrives.”

“But, that won't make Shade like you!” Fluttershy gasped. She didn't like Misty, but she knew that Shade would more than likely kill her if she died. “He'll kill you!”

Misty giggled like a schoolfilly. “Here's the thing. Remember that little bite on Shade's neck? Well, it's actually a spell we put on him to control his soul.” As Fluttershy's eyes widened, she continued. “My plan is rather simple. He'll arrive, I'll end your life and weaken him by draining his life force. Eventually, he'll learn to love me, and forget you.”

Fluttershy gritted her teeth. “It'll never work.”

Misty bared her fangs. “Even if it doesn't, you will still die.” Fluttershy tried to keep up a straight face, but she hung her head and let the tears flow.

Both of them were quiet for a while, until Misty spoke up again. “Listen pegasus. I'll admit, I don't truly hate you as much as I used too. It hurt me when Shade brushed me off without a second thought. I thought that, if he didn't have any distractions then he would finally look at me.”

Fluttershy refused to say a word. This was all Misty's decision now, and she didn't want to push her in any direction.

“My mother told me that I could choose. Your life, or his. I don't understand why she would want Shade dead anyway.” The changeling looked at Fluttershy. “At first, it was a complete no-brainier, I kill you and force Shade to love me.” She slammed her hoof on the ground. “Why am I suddenly second-guessing myself?!”

Both of them glanced upward as Fluttershy's necklace began to glow. “Shade, go away...” she whispered.

A green circle appeared on the ground. A thin stream of light rose from it and started wrapping around in a circle. It went faster and faster until there was a cylinder of green light. When the light dispersed, a dark blue unicorn with a green mane and yellow tail stood there.

Fluttershy had never been so happy and so upset to see her changeling as the same time.

“Misty!” Shade yelled, flash teleporting in front of the changeling. “What is this?!”

Misty expanded a thin shield, knocking him away. “I thought I knew, but I'm not so sure now. I was going to kill your mare as you watched, but...”

Shade walked up to the shield, wrapping his hoof in a green aura. He slammed his hoof on the shield, shattering it. “But?”

“I can't do it.” Misty looked up at Shade, tears in her eyes. “Just a few minutes ago, I was so confident in my plan. So sure. Nothing was going to get in the way.”

“Then what stopped you?” Shade asked. “What's stopping you right now from killing her and doing whatever you were going to do with me?”

Fluttershy wasn't sure why Shade reminded Misty that she wanted to kill her, but she sensed that Shade had something he was going for.

Misty pointed at Fluttershy. “Her eyes.” Shade just calmly stood in front of Misty, staring at her until she continued. “Right before she looked down and started crying, I looked at her eyes. And I saw myself in them. When you chose her instead of me, I had her same expression. Hopelessness. And I couldn't go though with it. I still can't.”

“What are you going to do then?” Shade asked.

Misty looked at Shade, then at Fluttershy. She looked back towards Shade and sighed. Her horn lit up and Fluttershy's chains melted away. “Something different.”

Fluttershy was itching to tackle her changeling, but she stood still as Shade hugged Misty. “What's stopping us from all being friends?” she thought.

After Misty let him go, Fluttershy saw her whisper something to Shade and blush. Shade laughed, ran over and hugged her.

As Fluttershy relaxed in his arms, he whispered to her. “I didn't know you like kissing females.”

Fluttershy blushed and hit him. “I thought it was you.”

Shade partly broke the hug and pressed his lips to hers. She held it with him for a few precious seconds then parted. “That is me.” He said with a smile.

“Listen.” Misty said, causing the couple to turn. “I'm sorry. I don't think that you'll see me anymore.”

“Where will you go?” Fluttershy asked.

Misty shrugged. Fluttershy stepped towards her, but as she did Shade yelped.

“Shade?” The two females looked back.

Shade's eyes widened. “Run!” Just then, a powerful explosion knocked all three of them to the ground. When Fluttershy recovered enough to stand, she saw Shade floated in a transparent blue ball.

“No!” Misty yelled, dashing towards the ball. She slammed into her mother, who had materialized in front of the ball and bounced backwards.

“Well, that was really touching.” Chrysalis said “But I think it's my turn to have a chat with our friend here.” She tapped the ball, and it disappeared with Shade still inside.

“Wait! Bring him back!” Fluttershy snapped.

Chrysalis widened her eyes. “Well, a little aggressive are we? Protective? Hmm.”

Misty tried to reason with her. “Mom. What are you doing? I thought you said that we weren't going to hurt him!”

“I know that.” Chrysalis said. “I lied.” She narrowed her eyes. “And you were going to help them, I see? Well, we will talk about this a little later. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to have a little talk with royalty.” She laughed and disappeared, lightning flashing across the sky.

“We have to go after her!” Fluttershy yelled. She took off into the air and slammed into a invisible barrier.

Misty tried to cast a spell, but it fizzled out. “Fluttershy, I'm sorry. We're trapped.” She sat down and held her head in her hooves. “Trapped, while Shade's alone.”

Fluttershy landed next to her, dazed. “What can we do?”

Misty's body shook. “Pray. Pray that I didn't doom him by luring him here.”

. . .

The world was spinning as I picked myself off of the ground. I shook my head and groaned. Heaven forbid I actually spend time with Fluttershy before something bad happens, like it always does. I took a look around and saw that I was in a open field. No clouds in sight, and the Everfree Forest was way in the distance.

I barely had a chance to put my thoughts together as Chrysalis appeared in front of me. I bared my fangs at her.

“Come on, Shade. Can't we have pleasant conversation?” She asked, grinning.

“Not with you.” I hissed. “It's time to end this fight.”

Chrysalis smiled at me. “Of course. But first, I want you to meet someone.” She raised her head and lightning flashed from it. I was afraid that she was going to strike me, but the lightning flashed down and struck the ground. When the dust cleared, a changeling the size of Sweetie Belle was there.

Then he turned, looked at me, smiled and said the one word that I never expected to hear. “Daddy!”

“What.” I deadpanned, in shock. The baby changeling trotted over and latched onto my leg. “You're...my son?”

“Aw, he does look like his father.” Chrysalis said.

I couldn't believe what was happening. The blue eyes, the tiny horn, the green mane. He had to be mine, but... “With who?”

Chrysalis tilted her head. “What happened during the last nine months, Shade?”

“Well, I had peace from seeing you.” I snapped.

“True, but what about the last time you saw me?” She said.

I though back, trying to remember. Until, a memory hit me right in the head.

“I'll tell you when you wake up. It looks like it's time for you to take a little nap.” Chrysalis and Misty pointed their horns and me and covered me with a green mist. Immediately I was tired. As I fell asleep again, I thought I saw Chrysalis climbing onto the table on top of me.

I gasped and shook my head. “No! It was just my imagination! It had to be!” I winced as another memory struck me.

I slowly opened my eyes again, but his time it was much more painful. My body was sore from the waist down, like I had been exercising.

I looked down at the baby changeling and picked him up. “I know...”

“See here's the thing Shade.” Chrysalis said. “You're strong, but you aren't strong enough. So, I needed some of your essence in a physical form, and there he is.”

I knew. I understood how this beautiful changeling existed.

Chrysalis had raped me so that she could have a child with my powers.

The changeling queen nodded. “Ah, I see you understand.”

“How...could you?” I whispered, setting the baby down.

“It was all part of our plan Shade.” Chrysalis said. “After your mother and your aunt defeated Discord, we changelings had to hide ourselves. We weren't nearly strong enough to take them on. So, what did we do? We waited, and planned.”

I sat down, letting my son hop on my head.

The changeling queen continued. “We changelings have our own magic, as you well know. Instead of attacking, we developed a way to store our magic. Whenever a queen became pregnant, we transferred our power to that infant.”

“Though the generations, the changeling queen grew stronger.” I said.

Chrysalis nodded. “Years passed, until nine thousand and eighty years after we began, it was my turn. I gave birth to Misty, but the birth went wrong. She rejected all of the magic that we tried to give her.”

I thought for a moment. “Why didn't you have another foal then?”

“No other changeling had the power I needed for a foal that could accept the magic.” She replied. “So, at this point, I am a creature that is almost all magic. Misty would have been the final piece in our plan, but I needed to improvise. So I thought, why not defeat Celestia with her own blood?”

“That's when you charmed her, isn't it?” I asked.

“I knew that Celestia would have to mate with someone that had as much power as she did for my plan to work.” Chrysalis said. “I chose Discord because I had the ability to control him. So, I tricked Celestia to the Everfree, charmed her, and...”

“I know what happened next!” I yelled, not wanting that picture in my head.

Chrysalis just smiled. “When Celestia became pregnant, I cast a spell to turn you into a changeling. That way, it would be easier for me to control you. When she gave birth, I helped her with you for a month, then erased her memory and sent her to Canterlot.”

“Then she hid me.” I said.

“Not exactly.” Chrysalis said. “When you were seven, my mother made the mistake of trying to retake you. It failed, and she was killed because of it. Celestia mind-wiped all of Equestria to make everypony forget that you existed as her son and made you her assistant.”

Chrysalis started to pace around me and the baby. “So time passes, and you finally grow up. You already know about what happened after I finally got my hooves on you.” I winced and looked back at the baby. “By the way, his name is Null.”

“Null...” I said quietly, staring into my son's eyes.

“He's everything you were supposed to be, but I had to take a few extra steps.” Chrysalis said. “He is true magic now, everything I needed. I let Discord out to distract you from finding me, and I let Misty attack you for the same. But now...” She levitated Null from my back into her hooves. “It's finally time to finish what my ancestors started.”

For a strange reason, I started to panic. “What are you doing?!”

Chrysalis simple smiled and spoke to Null. “Say bye to Daddy.”

The baby gurgled happily and waved his legs. “Bye, Daddy!”

Something bad was about to happen. “Chrysalis, please. Don't do what you're about to do.”

“Sorry Shade.” She said with a evil smile. “Blame your mother.” She raised a hoof to Null's neck.

“No! Don't!” I dashed at her.

With a quick flash of her hoof, she sliced my son's neck open.

“NULL!!!” I screamed.

The baby changeling's eyes widened and he started coughing. “Dad..dy.” He managed to say. I almost reached him, but Chrysalis blasted me away. I landed hard on my side.

Chrysalis held the dying changeling up and shut her eyes. I saw a bluish glow flow from my son into her. When it ended, she dropped the corpse of my son, no OUR son.

“What...did you DO?!” My eyes glowed red and my fangs fully extended.

Chrysalis sighed. “He served his purpose. He was only born to serve as a vessel for the last of the magic I needed to take over Equestria. Now his soul is mine, and I am finally ready.” She narrowed her eyes at me. “Just about.”

“Not if I can help it.” I snarled.

Chrysalis gave me a truly evil grin. “Yeah, you think that this is the part where we have our final battle, huh? Guess what Shade. You already lost.”

Before I could move a muscle, she was right beside me. She swatted me into the air, grabbed me with magic and slammed me into the ground. I stood up only to take a magical laser to the chest, sending me back to the dirt.

I tried to shift, but I couldn't. It was like the shock of seeing my son die was hurting me. But I knew that it was only Chrysalis. I couldn't win at this rate, but I stood up.

Chrysalis turned towards me and raised a hoof. Instantly the bite mark spread lightning over my whole body.

“AHHHHH!!!!!” The burning pain threw me to the ground where I writhed in agony.

“You see, Shade. You were always mine. Isn't it just beautiful?” She taunted me.

I finally pushed away the pain of the lightning, when it happened. Chrysalis rushed forward and slammed into me, forcing me onto my hind hooves. Then, she rushed forward and stabbed me in the heart with her horn.

I fell to the ground, horrible burning pain flowing though my body. I couldn't even move in agony. I sensed Chrysalis stand in front of me as my vision flickered.

I looked up, the pain eating away at every fiber of my being. I'd never been stabbed like that before. No emotions, empty necklace. I was going to die here, at the hooves of my worse enemy.

And I couldn't stop it. I never could have stopped it.

"By the way." Chrysalis leaned in close to my broken body. "Would you like to know the first thing I'm going to do once you're gone? No, it's not to hurt your mother, the biological bond will take care of that."

Wonderful. My death WAS going to weaken my mother. But she drove the final stake in deeper.

"No, the first thing I will do is take your marefriend." As my face registered horror, she gave me a truly evil grin. "Yes. First she'll be brought here, to see your corpse. Then after I've flung your body to the winds, she'll be my personal slave. I will destroy her, mentally and physically. I'm going to break her Shade, and after I do, she will curse your name." She laid down and whispered in my ear. "She will become mine completely. That is your legacy, Shade. Embrace it, it will be your last thoughts."

It was over for me. I had truly failed, or maybe I never had a chance. I sank down to the ground. I had just enough strength for four, four final words.

"Mom...Fluttershy...I'm sorry..."

Then darkness covered my eyes, and my soul

. . .

Chrysalis looked at the fallen body of her enemy. Smiling, she cast a teleportation spell to finish the last of her revenge.

Misty and Fluttershy appeared out of nowhere and landed. Immediately Fluttershy noticed Shade and ran over to him.

Misty however, because to snap at her mother. “What did you DO?! That wasn't part of the plan!”

“You won't speak to me like that, Dancing Mist. I control how the plan goes. And, I think it went rather well.” She said as she heard the sound of crying.

“Shade, please! Wake up!” Fluttershy held her hoof to his heart, but it wasn't beating. She checked for a pulse, and did all she could but it was no use. She saw all the blood that had pooled under his body and finally had to accept the truth. He was gone.

“Shade!!!” Fluttershy yelled, then collapsed, brokenly weeping. Misty also had tears in her eyes as she saw Null's body.

“Finally.” Chrysalis said, smiling. “Are you prepared Equestria? Because it's time for the biggest change you've ever seen!” She bared her fangs to the sky, laughing manically.