• Published 4th Dec 2012
  • 1,619 Views, 84 Comments

Son of Change - twow443



A darkness is rising over the horizon as Shade's story continues.

  • ...
7
 84
 1,619

Threats and Promises

Chapter 2-Threats and Promises

As light started to filter into the room, I slightly stirred and opened my eyes. First thing I saw was the pink mane of the mare I loved right up in my face. They way we had been sleeping was I was on my side, and Fluttershy had curled up, resting her head on my chest. I lightly rubbed her back, thinking about the night. After the two of us had gone back to sleep, I hadn't dreamed at all.

I was about to get up, but then I remembered that Fluttershy had forced me to take the day off. I had protested, but usually I didn't have an argument when it came to things like that. I had been awful tired for the last few days. I knew that it had been worrying Fluttershy and I mentally kicked myself for that.

I was contemplating the idea of going to Canterlot for a few days to see my mother, when Fluttershy stirred. She uncurled herself, resting her head on the pillow and looking me in the eyes. “Morning.” she yawned.

“Morning.” I replied, lighting kissing her on the forehead. “You sleep well?”

She nodded, but I could sense slight worry from her. “Did YOU sleep well?” she asked, poking me on the chest.

“Of course.” I answered. She was giving me a slight frown, and I still sensed worry. “Trust me, Shy. I'm okay.”

Fluttershy proceeded to look me deep in the eyes for the next few seconds, then she curled back up against me. “If you say so.” She was quiet for a moment, then spoke again. “How did you know that I didn't believe you?”

I poked her forehead. “Did you forget the part where I can sense emotions?” I teased her. She let up a slight exasperated grunt as I laughed.

“Come on, Shy.” I said, trying to move her. “We gotta get ready for the day.”

“Can't we just lay here all day and do nothing?” Fluttershy said quietly, burying her face in my chest. “I don't want to get up.”

“Yeah, but if we don't, Angel's gonna hit me over the head with a spoon again.” I said, rubbing my head. Fluttershy immediately started laughing. “It wasn't that funny.”

“Yes, it was!” Fluttershy rolled away from me, still laughing. I rolled my eyes and hopped out of the bed.

. . .

The two of us started to prepare for the day. Fluttershy and I took a shower, (yes, at the same time. Nothing happened,) brushed our teeth. I quickly shifted into my unicorn form to polish my horn, then shifted back to normal. Fluttershy was in her room grabbing something, so I went downstairs to begin feeding her animals. It was like clockwork now. When I had begun to remain in my changeling form at Fluttershy's house and help her feed the animals, they would normally freak out at the sight of me and hide. I'd have to leave the house entirely so Fluttershy could coax the frightened animals that I wasn't a threat.

I had finished flying around and feeding all the animals inside. As I was about to head outside, I felt a tug at my tail. Angel was pointing at his bowl. It was empty, even though I had just filled it up.

“Hungry today?” I asked. The little bunny nodded. Fluttershy had expressed wanting to keep him on more of a diet, so I hadn't put as much lettuce in the bowl as I usually did.

I sighed, flying over to the fridge and grabbing the lettuce. Quickly casting out with my senses, I could tell that Fluttershy was still in her room. “Fine, but only this time, got it?” I sternly said. Angel nodded, and I put some more lettuce in the bowl. The little bunny hopped over and attacked it with gusto.

As he did that, Fluttershy came downstairs holding a basket. She set it on the table as I started preparing some cold oats with milk. “Market today?” I asked.

She nodded. “I should be meeting Rarity there. What are you going to do on your day off?”

I caught the tone in her voice and made a mental note to stay far away from working. “Don't really know yet. I might go ask Twilight if I can use the portal to go visit my mother.”

Fluttershy visibly relaxed. “That's good. I'm sure the princess would love to see you.”

“Yeah, until she gets tired of me crashing her court cases.” I said, prompting a slight laugh from my mare. I brought the oats over and we sat down to eat. “Remember when I was trying out a new wing spell on Pinkie? She flapped so hard that she broke one and careened into the court room.” We shared a smile at that, and continued to eat.

. . .

Dancing Mist, or better known as Misty, was hiding out in a tree overlooking Fluttershy's cottage. She knew that the yellow pegasus would leave first today. She had, after all been stalking the two of them for quite a while.

Misty hated the yellow pegasus with a burning passion. She had tried so hard to attract Shade to her, then when that pegasus had come along it had messed things up for her. Shade had fallen hard for her, and Misty hadn't had a chance.

The changeling angrily punched a branch, her fangs slightly bared. “Why Shade? You would pick a pony? A pony?! They don't understand changelings at all.” Misty's eyes flashed red, but she composed herself. “Relax. My plan is already done, and if I don't stray from it then it'll work fine.” She sat back down on the branch, and waited.

. . .

After we finished eating and cleaned up the kitchen, the two of us were ready to begin the day. “Now remember Shade.” Fluttershy said as she was about to leave. “No working.”

I rolled my eyes. “I know, Shy. You don't have to watch over me like a mother hen.”

Fluttershy watched me for a moment, then stepped closer and kissed me. When we pulled away, she said. “But I do.”

I sub-consciously rubbed the back of my neck. “Yeah. Do you need my bits? I'll go grab them if you want.”

Fluttershy shook her head. “I should have enough. Thanks though.”

I nodded and as she was about to leave, I caught her chin and kissed her again. “Love ya, Shy.”

“I love you too.” She lifted off the ground and flew off towards town.

. . .

I spent the next hour relaxing at the house, that is if you call hanging out with a ill-tempered bunny relaxing.

“No Angel. I'm not making a fruit salad.” I said. “Besides, we're almost out of fruit.”

The bunny rolled his eyes, then ran over to the counter and held up a brown apple. Pointing at it, he made the motions of peeling it. “It won't be any better on the inside.” I said, exasperated. He hopped over to me and hit me with the apple. I rolled my eyes. “Fine, but if you get sick, not my fault.” The bunny gave me a wicked smile as I heard a knock at the door. “Yeah, I think I'm just gonna go answer that now.” I told Angel.

Leaving the bunny to do as he wished with the apple, I moved over to the door and shifted into my unicorn form. Blue coat, green mane and yellow tail made up my other natural form. I didn't think that most ponies would take to kindly to a changeling opening Fluttershy's door, so I'd do this when she wasn't home.

I opened the door to a black pegasus with green wings and eyes. She flinched as the door opened, but then calmed down and quietly said, “Hello Shade.”

“Misty.” I deadpanned back. I didn't know what emotion to have at the situation.

She shifted on her hooves. “So, how have you been?”

“Oh, fine. That is, if you count the fact that my father returned, tried to kill me, one of my friends tried to kill me, and I'm having nightmares every night. Just fine.” I could feel my fangs extending, side effect whenever I was agitated and wasn't in my changeling form.

“I'm sorry...” Misty started.

“Really now?” I asked. “I don't know. Last time I saw you I was struck in the side with lightning and your mother BIT me.” I pointed to the burn mark on my side and rubbed my neck.

“Shade, I'm sorry for that!” Misty cried. “I really am. Mom doesn't even know I'm here now.”

I was slightly stunned by the fact that she was going against her mother, but I still didn't trust her. “What do you want, Misty?”

She was quiet for a moment, then raised her head. “I wanted to start over. With us.”

“Misty.” I sighed. “We never had anything.”

“But we could have!” Misty replied. She huffed at me. “Look you're a changeling. She's a pegasus. How are you two going to handle having a relationship?”

“We've been managing fine.” I said.

Misty shook her head at me. “That's because everypony's too afraid to talk behind your back when you're there. I've heard it though.”

I looked away from her. “I know that some ponies don't understand us. But it doesn't matter.”

“I'm not trying to pressure into anything right now.” Misty said to me. She placed her hoof on my cheek. “Just think about it okay? Would you be happier knowing that everypony is judging you, or would you rather not have anypony care?” She stepped back from me, turned around, and launched herself into the air.

As I turned and went back in, I sat on Fluttershy's couch. I'd love to say that I brushed away Misty's words. I'd like to say that I didn't doubt the relationship that Fluttershy and I had. I'd like to say that I knew for a fact that our relationship would stand strong.

I'd be lying if I said any of that.

. . .

Fluttershy was calmly walking though the market, keeping one eye out for Rarity. She had already found a great deal on some apples and was holding them in her basket. Out of nowhere, somepony bumped into her and made her spill the apples.

“Sorry.” the figure said. Fluttershy nodded and picked up the apples. When she was done, she looked up at the pony. She was a light blue unicorn with a red curly mane and tail. But what unnerved Fluttershy the most was her eyes. Cold, calculating and staring so hard at Fluttershy she felt like they were staring into her soul, something her changeling was very good at doing.

“Um, can I help you?” the pegasus asked, feeling very shy.

“Yes, you can.” She answered, taking a step closer to Fluttershy. “See, you took something, no I meant someone that was very precious to me.”

Fluttershy was confused. She knew that she hadn't taken anypony from anywhere. “I'm sorry, but I don't understand.”

The strange mare smiled. “You will, at least when I make you pay for it.”

“What?!” Fluttershy was getting agitated and afraid. Very afraid. “What do you want?”

“It's very simple.” The unicorn stepped up and whispered in Fluttershy's ear. “I'm going to make you watch your beloved die, and there's nothing you can do about it. You won't know where, or when, or how, but it'll happen.” Then just as she appeared, she was gone.

Fluttershy looked around in a panic, trying to find the strange mare and make her explain herself. She had vanished. Fluttershy looked down, seeing that one of the apples had fallen out of her basket. When she picked it up, she jumped in fear.

Scratched onto the apple were the words, “Tell nopony or he dies."