• Published 4th Dec 2012
  • 1,619 Views, 84 Comments

Son of Change - twow443



A darkness is rising over the horizon as Shade's story continues.

  • ...
7
 84
 1,619

Never in Control

Chapter 4-Never in Control

The combination of shock and rather strong magic that assaulted me proceeded to slam me into the back of the cottage. Stunned, I slumped to the ground as I heard Fluttershy gasp. “What are you doing?!” she screamed at the unicorn.

The unicorn didn't respond, but started to walk towards her. “Oh, no you don't..” I thought. I waited until the unicorn was about three feet from Fluttershy, before I flash teleported in front of my mare and cast a shield. The force of the shield knocked the unicorn away, causing her to land in a bush.

“You okay?” Fluttershy whispered.

I nodded. “Just a scratch.” I turned away as the unicorn appeared in front of us again. “What do you want?!” I barked at her.

She didn't move for a moment, then smiled. “I guess I just wanted to visit the son of Princess Celestia.”

“If you were expecting that to faze me, you were wrong.” I said, baring my fangs. “Almost all of Equestria knows by now that Celestia has a son.”

“Really, now?” The unicorn began to walk in circles around our shield, forcing Fluttershy and myself to turn to keep facing her. “Well then, why are you so ashamed of it?”

“I am not!” I yelled. “I'm proud of my mother!”

“Even though she lied to you for your whole life?” The unicorn softly said. “Never told you what you were, or what role you truly played in Equestria's future?”

I glanced at Fluttershy, then back at the unicorn. “Believe me, it was easier when I didn't know.”

The unicorn smiled. “Please.” Her eyes flashed with white and her horn glowed. In a flash, the shield broke around us. Before I had a moment to react, she picked me up and launched me across the yard.

I landed hard on my side and yelled. “Don't hurt her!”

The unicorn looked at me, still wearing that eerie smile. “Why would I want to do that, when you're a much better candidate?” With that, she launched what seemed to be ice at me.

I let my reactions take over and I shifted into Rainbow Dash. I reared on my hind legs and launched myself straight up. Sure enough, it had been ice as it froze the ground underneath me.

“Hey! Don't freeze the flowers!” Using Rainbow's speed I shot forward, turning in time to slam my back legs into the side of the unicorn's head. She was knocked away and slid on her side. As she stood up, I shifted into Applejack, turned and bucked her in the side.

The force launched her into the side of a tree. Panting, I shifted into my unicorn form as the unicorn removed herself from the bark. “The fury of the princess's son. I wonder though, what would you protect the most?” She pointed at Fluttershy. “Your mare?” She then pointed at the sun. “Or your mother?”

“Both.” I glared at her, gritting my teeth.

“It's rather cute how you think that you're in control.” She turned to me with a cold look. I reached out with my senses, and couldn't feel anything. It was like she didn't have any emotions at all. In that instant, I was afraid for us.

“You know, Shade.” She said. “This has been rather fun. I'll tell the princess you fought well.”

“What do you..?” I stopped. The bite mark was hot, almost burning. “Why...so...hot.”

The unicorn gave me an evil grin. “This will be quite the shock, won't it?”

Shock.. Uh-oh.

Before I had a chance to move, or cast a spell, it happened. Straight from the bite mark, I felt a shock. Then electricity surged from it and into my body.

“AHHH!!!” I screamed in agony. Lightning, my worst fear, was attacking me from my own body. I didn't understand how, and I doubted that I was going to live long enough to find out. Burning pain flowed though my entire body, before it stopped. Hazily, I tried to walk towards Fluttershy, before I pitched forward and fell to the ground, darkness surrounding me.

. . .

The only thing that kept Fluttershy from dashing over to Shade was the face that the unicorn had her hoof softly on the unconscious changeling's neck. “Well, that was a fun little workout.”

Fluttershy was furious. “Get away from him!”

The unicorn rolled her eyes. “Please. I don't want HIM dead, although either way you suffer is fine with me.”

“Who are you?!” The normally shy pegasus barked at her.

The unicorn's body shimmered and her skin dissolved, revealing a black and green female changeling. “My true name is Dancing Mist, but just call me Misty.” She sat down next to the downed Shade. “Sit down, relax. I have time.”

Fluttershy flapped her wings, but Misty shook her head. “Bad idea, pegasus. I've seen you fly. I'll tear out his throat before you have a chance to reach him.”

“No you won't.” Fluttershy angrily said.

“Care to test it?” Misty replied, her fangs slightly extending.

The two stared at each other before Fluttershy reluctantly sat down.

“Good choice.” Fluttershy flinched as Misty started to stroke Shade's mane. “Look at him, Fluttershy. So adorable, yet so naive. He thinks that he's winning, keeping us away when he's really helping our plans.

Fluttershy slightly shook with anger as she spoke. “Why are you here? I didn't tell him or anypony else.”

“I know.” Misty said. “I just want you to understand something.” She looked at Shade again with an expression that Fluttershy couldn't make out. Was it..love?

“Shade has never been in control.” Misty said. “Sure, my mother lost track of him for a little bit, but we found him again when he was seven. Wouldn't have taken him then, if we had been able to fool Celestia longer. Ahh, that's a story for another time..”

Fluttershy struggled to control herself. “What do you..”

“Hush and I'll tell you.” Misty said, continued to stroke Shade's mane. “The thing is, Fluttershy we needed him. Our plans wouldn't have worked if my mother hadn't been able to bite him.”

“It's hurting him!” Fluttershy snapped. “Why did she do that?!”

Misty smiled. “I can't tell you all our secrets. Let's just say that, well he's always going to be mine, even if he's wearing this stupid necklace.”

Fluttershy turned so that the changeling couldn't see her tears. “Just...leave him alone.”

“Upset?” Misty said, mocking her. “Well, maybe. I COULD just kill him..”

“No!” Fluttershy yelled. “He's done nothing to you!”

Misty turned to look at Fluttershy, anger dancing in her eyes. “Nothing?! He did the worst thing he could have done to me! I did everything for him! I helped him become what he was, I trained him to use his powers! And what does he do?” She leaned closer to Shade's neck, frightening Fluttershy even more. “He decided to ignore me and go for you. A pony.”

Fluttershy scrambled for words. “He wasn't trying to be unkind..”

“But he was!” Misty snapped at Fluttershy. She took a minute to compose herself. “He hurt me. And now...now I'm going to make sure that he feels the same pain I did.”

Fluttershy couldn't do anything as Misty extended her fangs. “Wait! Just..bite me instead!”

“Please.” Misty said. “You wouldn't be able to handle my venom. And besides,” She gave the yellow pegasus an evil grin. “This is gonna be fun.”

Right before Misty sank her fangs into Shade's shoulder, they both heard a voice. “Fluttershy? You here?”

“Rainbow..” Fluttershy thought. Misty's horn flashed, causing Fluttershy to glance at her.

“It's quite beautiful, you know?” she said, as if she was oblivious to the fact that somepony was coming. “The love you have for him, it's quite good. I can see why Shade's so strong around you. Don't worry though, I'll leave now.” She got up and moved away from Shade. “Oh, and by the way, if you tell Shade that it was me or if any other pony tells him, one of you will die. Don't make me have to choose.” With a puff of green smoke, she disappeared.

Fluttershy ran over to Shade as Rainbow flew into the garden. “Hey, Flutters I was won..Whoa! What happened?” She landed next to her two friends.

Fluttershy was crying as she checked Shade's pulse. “He was attacked by a strange unicorn. I couldn't do anything to help..”

Rainbow turned her friend's head so she was looking at her. “Fluttershy, it's not your fault. We both know that Shade wouldn't have let you help him.” She looked down at the unconscious changeling . “Should we take him to the hospital?”

Fluttershy laid down and rested Shade's head on her leg. “His body should be absorbing my love. He should wake up soon...”

At that moment, Shade coughed and opened his eyes. Fluttershy watched him as he slowly oriented himself. “Uh, what happened? Is she gone?”

Everything in Fluttershy's head was screaming at her to tell Shade that the strange unicorn was actually the changeling from his past. But she didn't want to risk having either of them die. Unable to find a middle ground, she decided to tell him what she could. “Yes. She ran away when Rainbow showed up.”

“Uhh, that's a relief.” Shade shifted on Fluttershy's leg and sat up. As Fluttershy put her foreleg around him to help him stay up he smiled. “I need to talk to my mother today. That shouldn't have happened.”

“Are you sure that you can travel?” Fluttershy asked.

I nodded. “I heal from emotions. You two have given me a lot. By the way, what brought you here Rainbow?” I asked, turning to the cyan mare.

“I passed by Rarity, and she said that Fluttershy wasn't being herself.” She said, running her hoof though her mane. “I didn't know if you were here, so I wanted to check on her.”

“Thank you.” Fluttershy said. “I don't know what would have happened if you hadn't come.”

The two mares noticed that Shade was calmly sitting with his eyes shut. “Dude. What are you doing?”

“Just drawing on your emotions.” he said. He sat there for a few more moments before he opened his eyes and sighed. “Thanks. I feel better now.”

“Are you sure that you should go?” Fluttershy asked, walking over to him as he stood up. “That lightning...”

“I'm fine.” He lightly shoved her. “Trust me. I'll fly in town and head straight for Twilight's.” He looked deep in her eyes and softly kissed her. “Promise.”

Fluttershy put her hoof around his neck and rubbed it. “Come back to me safely.” He nodded and backed up. With a shimmer he turned into a light blue pegasus. He lifted up and flew out of the backyard. Fluttershy watched him go with a sigh.

Rainbow walked over and tapped her on the side. “You alright there?”

Fluttershy looked at her. “I'm fine Rainbow.” She looked up at the sky. “But no matter what he says, he's not.”