• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 1,331 Views, 17 Comments

The Prince Returns - Shadowslash101



A story about a Tan Pegasus and the Mane Six saving Equestria from Everlasting Darkness.

  • ...
4
 17
 1,331

A New Beginning

Chapter 1

A new beginning

Panic and confusion settled in the stallion as he ran through the forest of the Forevergreen Mountain. Countless thoughts and questions filled his mind, making him even more stressed. “There’s got to be a nearby town somewhere.” The stallion tried to calm himself. “But what if I don’t find one? What if I keep running in here-,” The stallion, not watching where he’s going, tripped over an outstretched root. The stallion fell down a steep cliff and exclaimed in pain off of every rock he bounced off of.

Finally he reached the bottom of the cliff, rolled onto the dirt road slowly, and stopped on his back, looking up toward the sky in the road. “At least it can’t get worse.” The rain came down, as if the stallion called for it. “So it-,” Lightning struck the stallion, shocking him hard. Once the lightning stopped shocking him, the stallion passed out on the mud; leaving him half-buried in water. Soon the sound of hoof beats came closer, and a golden carriage stopped in front of the knocked-out stallion. Two armored stallions, both Pegeasi, stepped off the carriage and carried the knocked-out, bruised, and wet stallion into it and close the carriage door, and continue down the road.



“Hello, Sir?” A female voice spoke softly to the half-conscious stallion. “Please’ wake up, sir.” The stallion opens his eyes slowly, and as they come into focus he found himself lying on a small bed in a small room with pale walls, and a sink including some cabinets. How the stallion recognized these things is still a mystery. Had he been here before? Probably not, but they just look familiar. He also noticed a white mare beside him. The mare was a unicorn, and from the looks of her white hat with a red cross, the first thing that came into the stallion’s mind was “Nurse.” The nurse was blond like him only without the black thunderbolt. Finally he noticed a bright blinding light above him. A light he can’t recognize.

“What is that?” The stallion tried to block the light with his hooves. “Where am I?”

“Oh I’m sorry. Is the light blinding you?” The nurse asked. “Let me make it less bright than it needs to be.” The nurse walked to a door and turned a strange knob next to the door on the wall, using her magic. The light grew dimmer than before, allowing the stallion to put his arms down. As he lowered his arms on the bed, he noticed that bandages covered his arms top to bottom; he stared at the bandages, curious.

“What are these for?” The stallion asked.

“Those are for your scrapes to heal.” The nurse explained.

“Where am I?” The stallion asked again.

“You’re just filled with those aren’t you?” The nurse laughed gently. “This is Canterlot Castle. You’re lucky that the princess found you on her way back here.”

“Huh, Princess? What princess?”

“You don’t know the princess?” The nurse gasped. The stallion shook his head. “You do know she’s the Ruler of Equestria; the Bringer of the Sun?” The nurse continued to ask, but the stallion just continued to shake his head. “Don’t you know anything?”

“I’m sorry. I can’t remember anything.” The stallion answered.

“Well, what can you remember?” The stallion explained to the nurse his traumatic and yet comical event, leaving out the part of him falling off the cliff and getting struck by lightning.

“And then I wake up in here.” The stallion finished.

“Well, how did you end up at the bottom of the cliff and the singe marks on your hair?”

“It’s either: tell her the truth, or try to change the subject.” The stallion paused in mid-thought.

“Well, sir?” The nurse asked. “Is there something you haven’t told me yet?”

“I fell off a cliff and got struck by lightning.” The stallion, quickly realizing what he just said, immediately covered his mouth. He was planning to change the subject. How could he tell the truth without planning to do so? Just who is he?

“Oh, my,” The nurse exclaimed in shock. “That must’ve been harsh!”

“Oh, harsh doesn’t even cover it.”

“Well, I’m just glad you’re okay, and I believe you have amnesia.”

“Am-what?”

“Amnesia--it’s a burden that makes you forget who you are including your past, sometimes everything.” The nurse explained.

“Well, at least my Cutie mark will help me remember.” The stallion yawned and closed his eyes slowly.

“That’s just it.” The nurse said, reluctantly. “You don’t have one.”

The stallion opened his eyes wide and alarmed. “Pardon me.”

“You don’t have a Cutie mark.” Silence settled in the white room as the stallion and nurse stared at each other uncomfortably, and then the stallion broke the silence by laughing uncomfortably.

“I have no Cutie Mark, huh.” The stallion immediately dashed out of the bed and stood in front of a mirror, looking quite panicked as he turned back and forth, searching for his symbol. “How can it not be here?? Everypony has a Cutie mark. Now how am I gonna remember who I am?” The nurse picked the stallion up and put him back on the bed using her magic. “Whoa??”

“Sir, you need your rest for the night.” The nurse said crossly. “Your bruises are too great for us to let you move around. So stay in bed.” She pulled the covers over the stallion, using her magic again.

“But I got to find out what happened to my Cutie mark!”

“I know you want to know, but you need a night’s sleep. The only possible reason why your Cutie mark is gone could be a side-effect of the amnesia you are suffering.”

“Okay.”

“It’s pretty dark out there.” The nurse turned her gaze to the window. The stallion could see a night sky, filled with stars and a full moon. Again how does he recognize these things? “You should get some sleep.”

“Okay.”

“Good night, Sir.” The nurse turned to leave, but then stopped like she just remembered something. “Oh I almost forgot. Do you remember your name?”

The stallion thought long and hard. “No, I can’t, sorry. Well, good night.” The stallion closed his eyes and went to sleep. The nurse seemed confused, and then shrugged, left the room, and turned out the light.



Dawn broke another day, as the stallion slept in peace under the sheets of his bed, the bright light of the sun moved into his eyes from an open window, waking him. The stallion yawned and stretched, he then got out of bed, feeling like a new stallion. He smiled. “Wow. That nurse was right. All I really needed was a good night sleep.” He looked at the mirror on the other side of the room, and stared at his reflection. Mostly at all the bandages covering him all over; he also now noticed a bandage wrapped around his head, and another bandage on his right wing. “Let’s get rid of these troublesome bandages, shall we?” The stallion took off of each one of his bandages, discovering his skin untouched as if what happened to him never came around. The stallion opened his wing, and he felt no pain. He rubbed his head, and still no pain. “Huh.” The stallion thought out loud. “She really was right.” Not a cut, not even a bruise is on his body. Now the stallion was really confused, but he doesn’t really care. “Maybe I can check out this Canterlot Castle.” The stallion thought, as he walked toward the exit of the room.

He stared at the door exit questionably trying to figure out the strange mechanism on the door. It was round like a sphere and it was as golden as the sun. It was weird. How do ponies get through these doors? “Maybe if I…” The stallion jiggled the golden sphere using his hooves; making clicking noises. The stallion stared at the metal contraption, and then the stallion bit the sphere. It tasted a lot like copper and it was strange. He turned the sphere, then the door clicked, and the stallion pulls the door toward him and it opened wide. The stallion exclaimed in triumph.

He walked into the hallway. It’s much more different than he expected. There were windows covering most of the walls, each one with a stain glass picture on either a battle scene or a historical event. The columns were solid gold, and each had a unique design. A red carpet with gold lining covers the marble white floor. The ceiling had six crystal chandeliers, and each one was different in color; they were all: purple, orange, blue, pink, white, and red. It was strange. How does he know all this stuff and not remember who he is? The stallion spotted another mare that wore an apron; to the stallion that said “servant.” The mare had brown hair and green eyes, and she was having a hard time balancing a tower of towels on her back. “Whoa!” The servant shouted in her stress. The tower rocked back and forth then it fell toward the ground. “No!” The servant shouted in dismay. Acting quickly, the stallion pushed a cart and stopped the tower of towels from hitting the ground, then the tower ceased moving unevenly and stood upright on the cart; the servant stared at the stallion amazed. “How did you do that?” The servant asked.

“I don’t know.” The stallion asked. “But do you need help?”

“Do I ever?”

“Where are you taking these?”

“They go toward the princess’ room, of course.”

“Mind if I tag along?”

“I’m not sure.” The servant stopped to think. “Sure, why not?”

“Great.” The stallion pushed the cart forward, and the servant followed him down the hallway. Soon the servant and stallion walk to a door. “Here we are.” The servant pointed at the door. The stallion took a good look at the large door. It was wide and wooden with another strange mechanism; it also had a gold design that looked a lot like the sun. The stallion stared at the door amazed. “Is she awake yet?”

“Of course she’s already awake, but she’s not in her room. She’s busy with her royal duties, but she’ll be back soon.”

“How soon will she be back?”

“I don’t know. It’s different every time, but usually she comes back here a few minutes after I leave so you’ll probably not see her.” The servant opened the bedroom door. Inside there was a small red carpet covered in pillows, there also were many unlit candles on golden stands, each candle was uneven in height, and on the other side of the room stood a fireplace, and in the fireplace stood a small pile of scrolls; each one had no seal on it so they must’ve been already opened, or freshly rolled.

“What are these doing here?” The stallion tries to take a scroll. “Doesn’t the princess ever care about her things?”

Just then, the servant stopped him from taking a scroll. “No!” The servant shouted, crossly. “I’ve been told not to mess the princess’ mail, and the same goes to you.”

“Sorry.” Then the stallion noticed a crystal ball on a golden pole, and then walked over to the strange ball curious. “What’s this?” The servant looked at the crystal ball, curious as well as the stallion.

“I don’t know. I’ve never seen it before. It must’ve come here new.” The stallion looks at the ball closer; he notices there’s dust all over the ball. “New? There’s dust all over this thing.” The stallion blows the dust off the ball; it looks more beautiful and shiny now and the stallion can barely see his reflection. The stallion taps the glass ball, and it shines brightly and wind blows. The stallion and the servant start to panic, but before they get the idea to run, the ball stops shining and the wind ceases. The stallion and servant look bewildered and thoroughly confused over the fact of what happened. “What did you just do?” The servant asked.

“I don’t know,” The stallion answered. “But let’s get out of here before I actually cause some damage.” The stallion and servant run out the room, leaving the crystal ball alone. Soon the stallion enters a kitchen alone. The kitchen was several feet high and several yards wide. Instead of a marble floor, it was checkered black and white. A large wooden table sits at the center of the room; pots and pans dangle over the wide platform, also at the walls were countertops lining everywhere, a large wood burning stove, and a sink. The stallion spots another servant, different from the last one. The mare had long, curly, blue hair, and hazel brown eyes. She didn’t look as happy as the stallion anticipated. He then walks up beside her concerned. “What’s the problem miss?” The stallion asked.

“I’ve lost the princess’ pet bird.” The servant sniffed.

“Oh’ then uh’ you can find another one right?”

“You don’t understand. The bird is a very rare species, and it’s my job to keep up with it.”

“Then let me help. Where did you last see the bird?”

“Inside it’s cage in the princess’ room, but once I took my eyes off it; it was gone. I searched high and low for the bird, but everywhere I looked, it wasn’t around.”

“Could you give me a description of the bird?”

The servant paused in thought. “Well the creature is so beautiful that I can’t describe her properly, but I can tell you this: she’s about a foot and maybe a few inches tall, red and yellow feathered, and she can be very mischievous.”

The stallion looks around. “Okay’ then. Well let’s get started. If I were the princess’ pet bird, where would I be?” The stallion spots a window and out that window he sees a tall greenhouse filled with birds. “What’s over there?”

“Where are you talking about?”

“There.” The stallion pointed out. “That greenhouse filled with birds outside.”

The servant looks out the window and soon spots what the stallion was talking about. “Oh that. That’s the Royal Birdhouse.”

“Then let’s check there.”

“I doubt Philemina will be there. She never goes to social gatherings with other birds, or so I believe.”

“Never know till you try.”

“Well okay.” The servant and stallion walk to the Royal Birdhouse outside. The scenery out there was amazing. Green grass, clipped bushes; some looked like other ponies others looked like shapes, and trees with the greenest leaves ever. “The princess sure likes her backyard pretty.” The stallion commented as they approached the bird house, and the servant turns around looking quite serious.

“Now, remember, the bird’s a delicate flower. Don’t scare or hurt the animal.” The servant explained clearly.

“I got it.” The stallion assured. The servant opens the birdhouse door and they both enter. The stallion soon discovers that the place is filled with several species of birds up to the ceiling: Blue Jays, Flamingos, Cardinals, Parrots, Toucans, and many other common and exotic birds. How he recognizes them is still a mystery. Each bird either stood on one a tree branch or on the ground. Then the servant points straight up. “Look!” The servant told him. The stallion spots a beautiful red and yellow Phoenix sitting on a high branch. “There’s Philomena.”

“You didn’t tell me she was a phoenix.”

“That’s because I thought the description would tell you.”

“Uh-huh.” The stallion scanned a tree beside them and noticed a very low branch which gives him an idea. “Excuse me, Miss.”

“Yes?”

“Could you stand right here for a bit?” The stallion pointed at the ground in front of a tree. “I have a plan.” The servant stood where the stallion pointed for her to be, under the lower branch of the tree, and then the stallion jumps on top the servant and onto the branch in a second. “Ow! You could at least give me a heads up!”

“Sorry.” The stallion apologized as he slowly balanced his way through the maze of branches. He was walking very carefully; one slip and he’ll be in the same bed again from earlier. “Just keep your balance and you’ll be okay.” The stallion thought. It was real tricky, but he was getting closer to Philomina, inch by inch though. The top was more dangerous now and all he needed to do was take Philomina and climb back down, now he was just arm’s length from Philomina. He reaches for, but the bird smiles and sidesteps away from him. The stallion gets closer then reaches again, but the mischievous bird sidesteps away once more. The stallion seems annoyed. “Now come here.” The stallion reaches closer, but the bird sidesteps away again. “Now come on.” The stallion tries again, but, instead, the phoenix pecks him harshly on the head several times. “Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!” The stallion exclaimed in pain. The phoenix flies down past the servant and out the open door.

“Oops.” The servant said embarrassed. “I think I left the door open.”

“What??” The stallion shouted annoyed, but then he loses his balance on the branches and fell into a bush below with a thud. “Ow!” The stallion exclaimed in pain as he gets back up and rubs his sore back.

“Are you okay” The servant asked concerned.

“I’m fine. Don’t worry about me.” The stallion assured. “We got that phoenix to worry about.” The stallion and servant chased the royal bird back into the castle at full speed. The bird’s intelligence was impeccable; she threw another servant off balance in the stallion and the servant’s way. The stallion dodges everything the bird throws at him to slow him down: marbles, other servants, even a column or two. The servant with him dodges these obstacles with superior grace as if like she knows what the phoenix is going to throw next; the stallion stares at her curious and amazed. “How are you doing that?” The stallion asked.

“This is my everyday job.” The servant explained. “You’re a Pegasus. Why can’t you fly after her?”

“I can’t remember.” The phoenix makes a sharp turn to its left.

“Come on. We got her now.” The servant said as the stallion and she makes the turn and then screech to a sudden halt. In front of them was a bare, bricked wall.

“Now what do we do?” The stallion asked.

“I don’t know,” The servant said winking at the stallion as if she’s trying to tell him something. “Maybe we should give up. Philomena’s just too smart for us to catch her.” She nudges the stallion. Soon he gets the idea.

“Oh! Uh’ maybe we should just be on our way.” The stallion and the servant walk around the corner, and they quickly hide behind the wall; the servant gives the stallion a birdcage.

“Hold this.” The servant said. “Keep it open.”

“Okay.” The servant and stallion wait a few minutes then a shadow moves from around the corner. Philomina looks around the corner then is startled by the servant grabbing it and stuffing the bird into the cage; it fought well, but the cage was too powerful for the bird to escape; so it stopped quite cross and she pulls a blanket over the cage.

“There. Thanks for your help.” The servant whispered. “She can be quite impossible sometimes.”

“Heh’,” The stallion laughed. “I’ve noticed. So where are we taking her?”

“Back to the princess’ room, she belongs there.” The servant replied. “You’ve been a naughty bird.” The stallion and servant make their way to the princess’ bedroom. Once they got there the princess was still gone. They hung Philomena’s cage on the bird stand. “Is she still in there?” The stallion asked. The servant looks under the cover then nods, and then the two sneak out the princess’ room slowly. As they walk out, the stallion and servant bump into something tall and white. They look up to see a tall, white mare, with green eyes and rainbow colored hair that swayed constantly in the air. She wore a crown on her head and a golden chest plate, and on her hooves she wore what seemed to be golden bracelets; she was also an Alicorn. The problem was though the stallion couldn’t recognize her, or what she does. “Uh’… Hi.” The stallion greeted uncomfortably. “We’re sorry miss. We weren’t watching where we were going’ right?” The servant didn’t say anything she just bowed to the white mare as if she was important or something. That made the stallion very uncomfortable. “That’s quite alright sir.” The mare said. “I’ve noticed that you’ve helped my servants with their duties.”

“Yeah, uh, how’d you know?”

“Somepony accidentally turned on my crystal ball.” The stallion turns back to the memory of that crystal ball that went haywire earlier.

“Oh, uh, okay.”

“Such selflessness is rarely found in many a pony. When I saw what you did I was completely transfixed on what you were doing I thought of a title for you since you can’t remember anything.” The mare continued.

“Okay, I’m kind of creeped out, and who are you?”

The white mare giggles. “I’m sorry. I’ve seemed to forget my manners. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Princess Celestia.” Silence sets into the hall for a few minutes then the stallion breaks it by laughing on the floor hard. “What’s so funny?” Celestia asked.

“Oh it’s just the fact that I didn’t know that you were the princess.” The stallion explains after calming down. Celestia smiles warmly.

“The title fits you perfectly.” Celestia leans her horn above the stallion. He looks confused.

“Um, what are you doing?” The stallion asked.

“Sh!” The servant bowing to Celestia said. “She’s naming your title.”

“Oh.” The stallion realized what was going on. Celestia thinks.

“Ah!” Celestia remembered. “Now I remember. I name you: Helpful the Selfless. It fits you well.”

“Helpful the Selfless,” Helpful said to himself. “I like it.”

“I am glad you do, because from now on you are my most trusted servant.” Celestia explained. “You’ll do many tasks for me.”

“Great! Where do I start?” Celestia pulls out a scroll; much like the ones in her fireplace, and gives it to Helpful using her magic.

“This is a list of tasks I want you to do in Ponyville, once you’re done report to me at once.” Helpful takes the scroll and puts it under his wing then he salutes to the princess.

“Consider it done. Only there’s one problem.”

“You wish to see Ponyville?” Celestia asked.

“Yes’ I do’ Your Majesty.”

“Follow me and I’ll show you.” Helpful follows Celestia to a balcony there he could see everything. Directly below was a town filled with tall houses and buildings, and all around them were unicorns and maybe an earth pony or two. Each one wore a fancy dress or suit, and looked undoubtedly wealthy. Further out he could see a large forest that covered most of what he saw of the land; it was thick and dark, and Helpful had no doubt what dangerous creatures lurked inside. He also spotted a mountain; it was tall and so steep that it would be considered unforgiving, but it also was green as ever; what also made it interesting is that the mountain had no trees or any grass. As if the mountain was naturally green.

In the center of the valley a village of lively ponies sat. He could see that the village had an apple orchard, and many other things. The ponies were all different from the ones under him and Celestia; they all wore no dresses or suits at all; even more they all were happy and nopony was mad at anypony else, in fact they talked to one another unlike the town below. Helpful liked what he saw about the village. “This is the land of Equestria.” Celestia pointed out. “The town below us is Canterlot; Capital of Equestria. I rule these lands.” Then Celestia points to the small village. “Out there, the small village in the center of the valley. Can you see it?”

“Yes’ I do.”

“There is Ponyville. A faithful student of mine, Twilight Sparkle, is there. You might see her; I have sent her a letter of your arrival; she will help you navigate though Ponyville to your destinations. My servant, Typhoon, will escort you to Ponyville. Isn’t that right Typhoon?” The servant that Helpful assisted with finding Philomina walks onto the balcony.

“As you wish’ Your Highness.”

“Your name is Typhoon?” Helpful asked a bit amazed.

“Yes.” Typhoon answered. “Why do you think the princess would hire me to take care of her bird?”

“I don’t know.” Helpful turns to Celestia. “Show me more Celestia. Please.”
Celestia laughs.

“All in due time, my friend, but we all know that the day doesn’t last forever. So you best be off.” Helpful sighed disappointed.

“Okay then.” Helpful, Celestia, and Typhoon leave the balcony to the front castle doors. Helpful could see the townsfolk of Canterlot much better now. “I bid you both farewell, and take care.”

“We will, Your Highness.” Typhoon replied. “Don’t worry. I’ll get Helpful to Ponyville safe and sound in no time.”

“Good. Come back once you got Helpful to Ponyville, Typhoon.”

“I will, Your Highness.”

“Good bye.” Helpful said as he and Typhoon leave the front gates of the castle and Celestia. They continue walking through Canterlot. The problem was Helpful didn’t know where they were going. “Say, Typhoon?”

“Yes, Helpful?”

“How are we getting out of Canterlot?”

“That’s simple. There’s a train station in Canterlot. We’re going to take a train out of Canterlot and into Ponyville. It’ll be a breeze. Trust me.”

“Um, okay then’ Typhoon.” Helpful and Typhoon make it to the train station in time. The train was unlike anything Helpful seen; it looked a lot like a long row of linked houses on wheels, and at the front a strange machine that he couldn’t understand. It had wheels like the rest of the train, but it also had cylinders on the top of it; they kept letting go of a strange gray cloud. Inside the machine were many levers and what seemed to be a fireplace. Inside the row of houses through the windows Helpful could see other ponies, one was reading a newspaper, some were talking to each other, and many others were just sitting inside being patient for the train to move. The station was mostly a platform, but there was a spot what seemed like a shop. Typhoon walks over to the shop stallion. “Two tickets please.” She said to the clerk. The stallion pulls out two tickets and gave them to Typhoon.

“You’re in luck,” The clerk said. “Those are the last tickets for Ponyville until the next train comes around.” Typhoon takes the tickets.

“Thank you.” She returns to Helpful and gives him a ticket. “This is your ticket. Don’t lose it.”

“I won’t.” The stallion saluted. A strange, loud noise scares Helpful, and he jumps into Typhoon’s arms; who looks very confused. “What was that noise!?” Helpful shouted. A stallion wearing a suit and hat, which told Helpful that he works on the train, walks out of the train. “All aboard, train for Ponyville will leave in ten minutes!” The stallion shouted. Helpful looks at the stallion then at Typhoon and laughs embarrassed. “Heh, they’re just telling us to get aboard.” Helpful said. Typhoon looks at Helpful annoyed and drops him on the ground. He gets up. “What? Was it something I said?” They enter the train, which slowly leaves to Ponyville.

Soon the train enters Ponyville. As it stops beside the station slowly, Helpful and Typhoon get off the train, as they get off, Helpful looks around Ponyville. It was better than he hoped everypony he saw was happy, unlike at Canterlot, and talked to other ponies on the block. The village was very uplifting; the houses and other buildings were colorful, flowers lined all around each individual house, each flower was beautiful and healthy, and the grass was so green and the sky was so blue, Helpful felt that he was somewhat in a dream. “Okay, Helpful.” Typhoon said, ruining Helpful’s moment. “Twilight should be around here somewhere. Celestia said she sent her a letter about you being here so she should be around here soon.” Helpful looks around, all he sees are ponies, ponies, and more ponies. How is he going to find this Twilight Sparkle? “She might be running late?” Helpful asked Typhoon, next to him; who looks at him odd.

“I’ve been told that Twilight is never late.” Typhoon replied.

“What does she study?”

“Like all the other students of Celestia: Magic.”

“So she’s a unicorn.” Helpful assumed.

“Yes, she is.” Typhoon turns around. “I’ll be off. Can’t miss the train back to Canterlot, can I?”

“I guess not.” Helpful looks toward the ground in thought, and then he remembers something. “But what does Twilight look like?” Typhoon was gone, leaving Helpful on his own. “Great. Now how am I gonna find her?” Minutes felt like hours as Helpful waits for this Twilight Sparkle, asking everypony that passes by who they are. Sadly they only answer other than what he hoped. Helpful’s eyelids felt heavy, he then yawns and blinks his eyes several times rapidly. He was growing tired. “Gotta stay awake and find Twilight.” Helpful thought. His eyes close and he snores away into deep slumber. A purple dragon and a purple mare pass by the sleeping stallion and then they stop. “I can’t believe you made me late, Spike.” The mare said annoyed. “I hope Helpful’s patient.”

“I’m sorry, Twilight.” The baby dragon replied. “I just had to get the statue of Rarity finished. It had to be finished today, but, no, you had to pull me here.”

“We had to get to the station now, but you wouldn’t listen so I had to pull you out of your daily labor.”

“Well excuse me for being such a handsome Maverick.”

“Whatever.” The mare sighed. “Let’s just find Helpful. Hopefully we’re not too late.” The mare looks back and forth searching for their escort. “Where is he?” The dragon notices Helpful’s snoring and looks back and finds Helpful asleep.

“Hey, Twilight?”

“What is it this time, Spike?”

“What’s with this guy?” The mare turns around and looks at Helpful.

“I have no idea. Looks like he had either a rough night or he’s so tired that he couldn’t wait to sleep.”

“I’m gonna go with so tired he can’t wait to sleep.”

“Maybe we should wake him up. I mean he is in the wrong place to take a nap after all. “The dragon backs away in defiance.

“Oh. No way am I gonna do that, Twilight. I’m not gonna wake up somepony I don’t know. What if he gets mad?” The mare shrugs.

“Suit yourself.” The mare pushes Helpful gently, slowly waking the stallion up. “Hey, sir? Wake up.” Helpful opens his eyes, stretches, and yawns. He scratches his belly. The mare he saw was purple, and her mane was black, but had two purple streaks, one was lighter than the other, and her eyes were also purple. The cutie mark she had was a six pointed star; only thing that was interesting to him was that the symbol looked really familiar to Helpful only he couldn’t remember where he saw it before. It just looked familiar. “What? Who? Where? How? When? Why?” Helpful rubbed his eyes. “Did I go to sleep?”

“Yes, you did sir.” The mare answered. “And you’re kind of sleeping in the wrong spot. My name is Twilight Sparkle, and this is Spike.” The baby dragon waves at Helpful. “What’s your name?” Helpful thinks.

“Well it’s more of a title than a name.” Helpful explained. “My name’s Helpful the Selfless. Princess Celestia’s most trusted servant.”

“Oh, so you’re Helpful. Why were you sleeping?”

“I was waiting for you two to show up.” Helpful chuckled. “What took you so long to get here?” Twilight looks at Spike who smiles a bit uncomfortably, then turns her gaze back to Helpful.