• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 1,329 Views, 17 Comments

The Prince Returns - Shadowslash101



A story about a Tan Pegasus and the Mane Six saving Equestria from Everlasting Darkness.

  • ...
4
 17
 1,329

Fixing Problems

Chapter 5
Fixing problems

Inside the deep shadow of Everfree forest, the group of seekers for Spike and Helpful find themselves in front of a long, old, and rotted bridge that seemed a little untrustworthy, but it was their fastest way to Ponyville. Applebloom peeked over the edge of the dark, deep canyon, but was quickly scared out of her mind when a swarm of bats flew out to greet them. Applebloom ran to Big Macintosh and hugged on his leg tightly. Big Mac didn’t flinch when the swarm of bats flew past the rest of the group, scaring them in the process. After the bats left, Applebloom was the first to break the long silence. “Do ya think there’s another way to Ponyville?” Applebloom asked. Applejack sighed.
“This is the fastest way back to Ponyville, Applebloom.” Applejack explained. “Any other way would take too long, and besides…” Applejack looked up to see the sun starting to lower in the sky. “We don’t have much time. We have to cross the bridge one at a time. Who’s first?” Silence sets in as each pony exchanged looks to one another, and then Granny Smith broke the silence.
“Well, not everypony at once.” Granny scowled. “I’ll go first.” Granny Smith stepped closer to the bridge, but was stopped by Twilight.
“But, Granny Smith, it’s too dangerous to let you go first.” Twilight protested.
“Hush up, Sugar Cube. I know what I’m doin’ so make way for the old coot!” Twilight stepped to the side as Granny Smith walked past her and watched as the old mare walked across the bridge. All seemed well as Granny made it to the other side safely. “See? There’s nothin’ wrong with this bridge. It’s just old. C’mon, ya Slowpokes.” Applejack looked at Twilight who sighed.
“I guess I’ll go next.” Twilight replied, but Applebloom made a sour look.
“But I wanna go next!” Applebloom argued. Applejack shot her sister a sharp look.
“Now, Applebloom, you’re too young for us to let you walk through this bridge alone.” Applejack reasoned calmly. “You’ll have to ride with Big Macintosh.” Applebloom looked down on the ground and kicked it unhappy.
“Aw, but I ain’t too young.”
“Don’t argue with me, Applebloom. Stay with Macintosh.” Twilight stared at the bridge, too nervous to walk across it, but she took a step forward and heard the loud creak of the boards below her. It held her as she took the next step. Now it wasn’t too bad. She could walk on this all day in fact, but she still knew it could break at any moment. So she kept walking carefully through the bridge. Soon she found herself on the other side of the canyon beside Granny Smith. “See? I told you there was nothing wrong with the bridge.” Granny Smith said rubbing it in. Twilight turned around to see Applejack crossing then Big Mac and Applebloom on his back. As Macintosh walked across the bridge the creaking floorboards were louder than when Applejack crossed; making the others a bit more uneasy. “Careful, Big Mac.” Twilight told the big stallion. “You’re much heavier than us so please be careful.”
“Eeyep.” Macintosh assured. When he stepped on the next board his hoof broke through, almost making him fall through and knock off Applebloom. Macintosh bit Applebloom by the tail and hurled her onto the other side of the bridge. Applejack caught Applebloom from hitting the ground. “Okay, Big Mac, stay calm!” Twilight tried to calm Macintosh; who already was. “We’ll figure out a way to get you out of there! Don’t worry.” Twilight looked around and spotted a vine and threw it to Macintosh with her magic. “Grab on!” Big Mac grabbed the vine and Twilight, Applejack, Applebloom, and Granny Smith pulled him to the other side. After this, they watch as the bridge’s floorboards break off one at a time down to the other side. “Okay, I don’t know about you guys, but I’m getting a move on.” Applejack spoke astonished by the bridge’s collapse.
“I’m with you on that.” Twilight agreed with her friend. The group then continued through Everfree Forest.
Meanwhile, in some boutique in Ponyville, Helpful was having a shower, with a curtain around him, inside the white mare’s bathroom. It was white inside and had many tiles on the walls, the sink was golden and had jewel encrusted nobs. In the hallway, the white mare read Helpful’s list quietly. Spike, inside the bathroom, holds a towel for Helpful once he got out. After reading Helpful’s list, the white mare breaks the ice. “So your name’s Helpful the Selfless, right?” The white mare asked Helpful, who only heard it muffled, but understood.
“Uh, yeah.” Helpful answered.
“My name is Rarity.” The mare continued. “I own this boutique and I sell fashionable cloths far and wide.”
“Um, actually, Rarity, you only sell your cloths in Ponyville, or so I currently know.” Spike protested, but then felt some toilet paper hit the back of his head. He turned around and saw Rarity, sticking her head out the door, motioning for Spike to be quiet. Spike smiled at Rarity impishly. Rarity then closed the door, not making a sound. “Anyway, I understand that you’re from Canterlot, is that true?” Rarity asked.
“I guess you could say that.” Helpful answered after a moment to think. Opal walked up next Rarity, who jumped excitedly several times, giggling.
“Opal! You won’t believe this! The stallion is named Helpful the Selfless, he’s from Canterlot, and he’s in my boutique! In my boutique!” Rarity squeaked excitedly. “Do you know what he can do for my business?” The white cat meowed at Rarity. She looked up in thought “Well, that I’m not sure, but he’ll surely tell others there and my business will be the talk in Canterlot.” The cat meowed again, making Rarity look offended. “Since when did I ever mess up on something like this?” The cat meowed twice this time, making Rarity think again. “Well, I suppose I did do something like that on accident.” Then the bathroom door opened and Rarity is astonished to find Helpful walk out looking like a portrait of her imaginary Prince Charming. The white mare was so dazed by Helpful’s appearance she was speechless. “Thanks for your hospitality,” Helpful thanked Rarity. Rarity couldn’t take so much astonishment that she muttered gibberish and fainted dramaticly onto the floor, she seemed like she was hit by a truck. Spike walked into the hall and was shocked to find Rarity out cold. “Uh, Rarity?” Spike asked. “Are you alright?” Opal copied Rarity’s reaction.
Meanwhile, at the edge of Ponyville, Twilight, Applejack, Granny Smith, and Applebloom return to their hometown. Twilight looked up to see the sun sink closer to the ground below it. They were running out of tine a little too fast. If they didn’t find Helpful and Spike soon Twilight would be in incredible trouble. Twilight sighed, trying to calm herself from going insane again. “Maybe we should get some food to bait Helpful and Spike.” Applebloom opinionated.
“I know just what you mean, Applebloom!” Granny Smith exclaimed in delight. “C’mon, Sugar Cube. We’ll get that Helpful and Spike out in the open in no time.” Granny Smith, Applebloom, and Big Macintosh walked back to Sweet Apple Acers. “Now don’t worry. We’ll be back before you can say ‘Apple Pie.’” The others waved as they walked out of sight.
“Now what do we do?” Applejack asked Twilight.
“I guess we wait.” Twilight answered.
“But we don’t have much time. If we wait too long it’ll be nightfall before ya know it.” Twilight sighed.
“I know, but we don’t have a choice right now. We’ll just have to wait till they come back with the food.” Twilight reasoned. “I hope they’ll be back soon.” Applejack wasn’t sure about this, but if it was fine with Twilight it was fine with her. “Well, okay then. I guess we can wait.” Applejack agreed with her calmly. The two walk to Twilight’s library to wait for the others to return with the ‘bait.’
Meanwhile, in Rarity’s boutique, Rarity slowly wakes up from her slumber, finding herself in her own room on her bed. Then Sweetie Bell walked past the doorway not realizing that Rarity was awake. “Hey, Rarity.” Sweetie Bell greeted as she walked along, then quickly dashed back to the door after she realized Rarity’s condition. “Rarity! You’re awake!” Rarity rubbed her eyes half-awake.
“Yes, I’m awake, Sweetie Bell.” Rarity replied as she yawned, then she gasped. Her expression turned from tired to worry. “Where’s Helpful?”
“Uh.” Rarity jumped out of her bed and held Sweetie Bell by the head squishing her face. “You heard me. Where?”
“Rarity…,” Sweetie Bell tried to speak up. “I can’t… breathe.” Rarity dropped Sweetie Bell, who gasped for air.
“I’m sorry, Sweetie Bell. It’s just really important to know.” Sweetie Bell caught her breath and stopped to think.
“Well, Helpful’s downstairs playing Pin the Tail on the Pony.” Sweetie Bell finally answered. “He’s just now learning it and so far he’s still needs some polishing.” Then the two hear a vase break downstairs.
“Sorry, Sweetie Bell!” Helpful’s voice spoke up.
“Make that sanding.” Sweetie Bell sighed. Rarity jumped with excitement.
“Helpful’s still here! Yes! My business is saved!” Rarity shouted in excited triumph, but before Sweetie Bell could ask why, Rarity dashed past her, making the white filly spin rapidly. Down below Spike wasn’t sure about Helpful trying to pin the tail on the pony one last time was a good idea, after all, he broke a lot of vases and toppled over many manikins in his blind, dizzy walks to pin the tail on there. Another go at it will surely do more damage than before. “Maybe we should take a break, Helpful.” Spike tried to reason. “I mean, you are getting bored with this, right?” Helpful stared at Spike questionably.
“Bored? Of this?” Helpful laughed. “No way! This is much too fun!” Helpful tied the blindfold around his eyes again, put the tail in his mouth, and spun rapidly several times until he felt dizzy. He took a few steps forward and slowly fell on top of Rarity’s gems chest hard. Spike ran over to Helpful and helped him back up. “You okay, Helpful?” Spike asked concerned. Helpful took the blindfold off and winced in pain.
“I’m fine, Spike.” Helpful answered trying to not make Spike worried.
“You sure? Cause you don’t look like you’re okay.” Spike asked again. Helpful smiled.
“I’m fine, Spike. No worries.” Rarity then walked down the stairs and was devastated to see the whole room sabotaged, though she showed only an eye twitch and jaw drop. Helpful and Spike noticed her appearance in the room and was nervous to find out what her reaction is. “Uh-oh.” Spike said. “We’re in trouble. Let’s get out of here.” Spike tried to walk out the boutique, but Helpful stopped him.
“No, Spike.” Helpful reasoned. “It’s my fault. You shouldn’t run away. I’ll go apologize and clean this mess up.” Helpful went over to Rarity and looked at her with an uncomfortable smile. “S-Sorry, Rarity. Don’t worry I’ll clean this place up in no time.” Rarity then sighed, trying to keep in her anger, but she still had to struggle.
“Okay, then, Helpful, if you insist.” Rarity gritted her teeth and smiled kinda awkwardly. Helpful stared at her confused.
“Okay, if you say so.” Helpful and Spike started to sweep up the broken vase shards and stood up the manikins. Soon the room was clean like once before. Rarity looked more controlled now, she was quite happy that Spike and Helpful cleaned the mess they made, without complaining. She still had some things to do with Helpful to make her business booming once more though. “Um, Helpful.” Rarity said grabbing Helpful’s attention. “I would like to thank you for cleaning this up, but I think saying it just isn’t enough, um…” Rarity began to think long and hard, and then an idea came into her mind. “Oh! I know just what to do!” Rarity pulled Helpful with her, surprising him, and stood him on top of a stand. In the room Helpful was in, he saw three mirrors surrounded him from behind, and before him he saw Rarity going through some colored fabrics and silks. “Now, I know you’re from Canterlot.” Rarity explained as she kept skimming through the fabrics. “So how is it now? I’ve heard Canterlot is lovely this time of the season.” Then she pulled out a golden fabric and gasped surprised. “Oh, my! I didn’t even know I even had this!” She looked back to Helpful and held up the fabric with her magic in front of him. Trying to determine how it would look on him. “Ah! This’ll work perfectly.” Rarity quickly took some scissors and snipped some shapes off the fabric. Helpful began to get curious. “Uh, what are you doing, Ms. Rarity?” Helpful asked curiously.
“You’ll see.” Rarity answered. Spike walked into the room and looked around curious.
“What’s going on?” Spike asked Helpful; who shrugged. Rarity started the sewing machine and, after some time, she finished what seemed to be some sort of suit. She put it on Helpful and stared at him hard. It looked good on him, but there was something missing. “Pin cosine!” Rarity shouted to Spike; who, at first, didn’t get the message. He then realized what she meant and quickly responded. “Yes, Lady Rarity!” Spike answered as he ran to get the pin cosine on the top of the shelf. He climbed up to the top and grabbed the cosine then jumped down, but, on the way down, he accidently toppled over the shelf with him; falling on top of him. Rarity was beginning to become impatient. “Spike! I need that pin cosine now!” Spike pulled himself out from under the shelf and slowly walked back to Rarity with the pin cosine in hand. Rarity took the pin cosine with her magic. “Thank you, Spike.” Spike fell on the floor exhausted from the experience he had. Rarity poked in some pins on Helpful’s short selves. “So as I was asking, how is Canterlot?”
“Don’t you go there yourself?” Helpful asked her confused.
“Not lately.” Rarity stretched out Helpful’s wing and gasped at its unique shape and design. “Oh, my! What marvelous wings you have!”
“Uh, thanks.” Helpful smiled a little embarrassed.
“The black tipped feathers are very stylish. Gives a sense of dignity and strength.” Rarity continued. “The falcon shape of the wings also makes it look great and powerful, but the whole thing, I’d say, actually brings out a lot of mystery.” Helpful turned his gaze back to Rarity curious.
“Mystery?” Helpful asked.
“Why, yes. I’ve never seen a Pegasus with such beautiful wings. How did you get them to look like that?”
“Well, I’d tell ya,” Helpful’s proud smile turned to a frown. “But I can’t remember.” Rarity then shifted her gaze from the wing to Helpful, curious.
“Can’t remember, but why ever not?”
“I have Amnesia, it’s taken my entire memory away, and my name’s not Helpful the Selfless; I can’t remember it either, but that’s not all that was taken away from me.”
“What else was taken?” Rarity urged on.
“Helpful’s Cutie Mark was taken too.” Spike answered for him. “Now he doesn’t know his past, his name, and his talent. He’s got no help to retrieve his mind. He’s lost so to speak.” Spike pointed to Helpful’s blank flank. Rarity was quite shocked to find that such a very important guy would have such a blank memory. She felt sympathy towards Helpful and wanted to cheer him up. “Well, then I’m going to be your friend. No! Your best friend. I’ll help you find your memory and your Cutie Mark.” Rarity swore. Helpful started to feel better thanks to Rarity. So many ponies he’s met in one day. About six best friends to help him remember his past. They were very kind to be doing such things. He smiled at Rarity graciously. “Thanks, Ms. Rarity.”
“Call me: Rarity.” The white mare insisted as she pinned in the last pin that the suit needed. She stood back and smiled excited and turned the stand Helpful stood on toward the three mirrors. “What do you think?” Rarity asked. Helpful stared at his suit with admiration. It was a golden suit that looked much like a tuxedo, but instead with a red tie around his neck. It looked very handsome on him. “It’s looks great!” Helpful answered delightfully.
“Great? It looks fabulous!” Rarity exaggerated greatly. “I never knew that you would look so… so… indescribable!” Helpful started to blush.
“Thanks, Rarity,” Then he frowned. “But I have no money.” Rarity paused for a minute to think after she stopped herself from talking.
“That’s quite alright, Helpful. It’s on the house.” Helpful stared at Rarity questionably.
“’On the house’?”
“She means free, Helpful.” Spike explained.
“Really? Wow! I don’t know how to thank you, Rarity!” Helpful shouted with glee. The white unicorn smiled warmly.
“Think nothing of it.” Rarity insisted. “We are the best of friends, are we not?”
“Of course.” Soon, Helpful and Spike were about to say their good-byes and leave with Helpful’s new suit in a bag, when Sweetie Bell ran up to them with Helpful’s list in her mouth. “Wait, Helpful!” Sweetie Bell shouted muffled by the list in her mouth she then spits it out. “You can’t leave without this.” Helpful picked up the list and puts it under his wing.
“Thanks, Sweetie Bell, and thanks for teaching me how to play Pin the Tail on the Pony.” Helpful thanked the filly. Sweetie Bell looked a little uncomfortable.
“Yeah, uh, you’re welcome.” Sweetie Bell replied. “Just keep practicing.”
“Right.” Helpful laughed, and then shifted his attention to Rarity; who was working on a dress. “Bye, Rarity, and thanks for everything!” Helpful waved. Rarity turned around and smiled back.
“So long, Helpful and Spike.” Rarity waved back.
“See ya later!” Spike waved back to Rarity. Then they left the Carousel Boutique back into the market. Helpful pulled out his list and read it out loud. “’Third: go to the Golden Oaks Library and take out a book based on the history of Equestria.’” Helpful read to Spike; who looked kind of surprised.
“Our home?” Spike asked confused. “We don’t have anything there that needs help.” Spike explained.
“But it said ‘take out a book based on the history of Equestria.’” Helpful explained. “So it’ll just be a quick in and out anyway, then we’ll find Twilight later.”
“Okay, then.” Spike shrugged. “I guess we can do that, but we need to be quick and find Twilight.”
“Alright, Spike.” Helpful replied as Spike climbed onto his back. The two leave toward Twilight’s house.
Meanwhile, at Sweet Apple Acers, Granny Smith pulled out the last apple pie from the oven and settled it in front of some fan that Applebloom turned on to cool down the pies. Big Macintosh stood outside waiting for Applebloom and Granny to fill the wagon he had. Applebloom walked out to Big Mac and set some apple pies in his wagon. She walked around to Macintosh. “Don’t worry, Big Mac.” Applebloom encouraged her brother. “We’ll be done in a few seconds so it won’t be long.”
“Eeyep.” Macintosh said. Then Granny Smith came out, humming some small song and balanced the last the pies, and slammed them into the wagon.
“Okay, Big Macintosh!” Granny shouted. “Get ‘er movin’!” Granny smacked Macintosh’s rump; forcing him to jump forward. “It won’t be long now. Once we get there, Helpful and Spike will be running like chickens at feeding time. They’ll be bookin’ it to these pies in seconds.” Granny explained to Applebloom; who giggled.
“Are you sure that Helpful and Spike would come for these?” Macintosh asked Granny. “I mean, they wouldn’t be able to smell them far away. We don’t even know where, in Ponyville, they are.” Granny Smith puts a hoof on Big Mac’s mouth.
“Now, hush, Big Macintosh.” Granny ordered. “I know for a fact that Helpful and Spike would come for these pies, ‘cause boys, who work hard, like to eat a lot.” Soon, they enter Twilight’s Library, leaving the wagon of pies outside. Twilight is reading some books and Applejack stares outside watching the sun. Applebloom walks in the middle of the room. “We’re here!” Applebloom announced proudly. Applejack turns around delighted to see them.
“Well, welcome back y’all!” Applejack greeted back. “Did you get what we needed?”
“We sure did!” Applebloom replied as Macintosh pulled in the wagon of pies. “We got twenty pies, all ready for baitin’!” Twilight closes her book and turns her attention to the wagon of apple pies and is quite astonished that Granny, Applebloom, and Big Mac made them in such small time.
“Wow!” Twilight exclaimed in surprise. “Do you think this many apple pies are necessary?”
“Does a dog bark and a cat meow?” Granny asked her. Twilight thinks for a minute
“Well, yeah, because it’s instinct for a dog and cat to do that, and if they didn’t well that wouldn’t be very possible, unless you-.” Twilight’s explanation was interrupted by Applejack.
“Uh, Twilight.” Applejack interrupted. “This isn’t the time for a science theory.”
“Oh, right, sorry.” Then, the front door slammed. The three look around to see Spike and Helpful in the library not noticing the wagon of pies or the others.
“Well, this is it.” Spike pointed out. “Home, Sweet Home. Now the last thing you need to do now is find a book based on the history of Equestria, right?”
“Yep.” Helpful answered, but then he and Spike noticed the wagon of apple pies and Twilight, Applejack, Applebloom, Granny Smith, and Big Mac; who all looked pretty surprised to see them. Spike and Helpful look surprised to see them as well. Then, Applebloom broke out of her surprised trance and runs toward Helpful, giving him a hug. “Helpful!” Applebloom shouted with joy as she hugs him. “How did you know we were here?” Helpful smiles at Applebloom.
“We actually didn’t.” Helpful answered. “We-.”
“I knew it! I knew it!” Granny Smith interrupted. “You both came here for these here apple pies! I told you they be bookin’ it here in seconds! You must be starvin’ to death!”
“Uh, actually, Granny Smith,” Spike explained to the old mare. “We were coming here to get the last thing on Helpful’s list. Not for apple pies…” Spike’s stomach growls as he stared at the wagon full of pies. “On second thought, maybe a piece or two will do me some good.” Spike jumps into the wagon of apple pies and starts scarfing them down, and then he tosses a pie to Helpful. “Try one, Helpful. Granny Smith’s pies are the best in Ponyville.” Spike told Helpful as he was munching on a piece.
“I already know, Spike.” Helpful replied, but ate the pie anyway. Twilight walks up to Helpful; curious about what Spike and he experienced.
“Helpful, what happened to you and Spike and where did you go?” Twilight asked him. Helpful thinks for a minute.
“Well, it’s a long story.” Helpful explained. “But you can talk to Spike. He’ll be able to explain it.”
“Alright then.”
“Well then, you should be able to tell us what you did in Ponyville.” Applejack added.
“Sure. I just finished the rest of the list Celestia gave me.” Helpful replied. “Now, all we need to do is take out a book from your library, Twilight, based on the history of Equestria.” Twilight then remembers the book that Helpful needed to finish his errands.
“Ah! Wait right here.” Twilight said as she pulled out a book from one of her many shelves. She walks back to Helpful and gives him the book with her magic. “Here this is the book: Equestrian Histories.” Helpful puts the book under his wing.
“Thanks, Twilight.” Helpful thanked the purple unicorn. Spike finishes the last of the apple pies Granny, Applebloom, and Big Mac brought and burped incredibly loud; making the entire library shake and spooking the others.
“Pardon.” Spike excused himself with a big innocent smile after the shaking stopped. Everypony stares at him surprised. Spike climbs off the wagon and looked embarrassed. “Heh, heh, sorry.” Applejack opened the front door.
“Alright, Apples, it’s high time we head home.” Applejack told her family. “We had a long day.” The Apple Family walks out leaving Applejack inside with Twilight, Spike, and Helpful. “I’ll see y’all later.” As Applejack turns to leave Helpful follows.
“I gotta go back to Celestia.” Helpful explained. “I guess I’ll see ya later too.”
“Well, I guess so, Helpful.” Twilight assumed. “But can’t you stay a little longer?” Helpful turns his gaze to the sunset and sadly turns it back to Twilight.
“Sorry, Twilight. I don’t have enough time for it.” Helpful reasoned. “Maybe some other time.” Helpful closes the door then stops. “No hard feelings, right?”
“Of course, Helpful.” Twilight agreed with a smile. “I guess we can be friends.” Helpful’s face lit up in excitement.
“Really? Well then, if friends we’ll be best friends, right?” Helpful asked with delight.
“Uh, if you say so.” Twilight answered kind of uncomfortably. Helpful closes the door and went after Applejack.
“Hey, Applejack!” Helpful shouted; grabbing Applejack’s attention. “Wait up!” Helpful runs up next to her and takes a breather. Applejack stares at him confused.
“Hey, Helpful.” Applejack greeted. “What’cha doin’?” Helpful breathed in slowly now.
“I was just wondering if you could accompany me to the train station back to Canterlot.” Helpful explained. “I can’t seem to remember where it is right now.”
“Why, sure, Helpful!” Applejack replied with a delighted smile. “What are friends for?”
“Thanks, Applejack. Let’s go!” Helpful walked forward a few steps, but then was stopped by Applejack.
“Uh, Helpful…the station’s that way.” Applejack pointed the other direction. Helpful laughed uncomfortably.
“Oh, right.” Helpful said as he walked in the direction Applejack pointed.
“Helpful! Applejack!” A voice shouted from the market. Helpful and Applejack turn around to see Rarity walking up to them. “I see that you have already met my best friend Helpful, Applejack.” Rarity told the hard-working mare; who looked at her questionably.
“Your best friend?” Applejack asked confused.
“Why, yes. He’s very sweet and caring; I just had to become his best friend. He’s such a brave one, you know, walking around without a Cutie Mark.” Rarity explained pulling Helpful closer to her. “Now, if you’ll excuse us, I have something for Helpful to try out. I know he’ll just love it!” Rarity pushes Helpful away, but then Applejack pulled her back by the tail; looking quite cross.
“Now hold on here just an apple-pickin’ minute, Helpful’s my best friend and I know for a fact that he doesn’t want to try out any new cloths, right, Helpful?” Before he could answer, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy walks to them.
“Hey, Helpful, Applejack, Rarity!” Rainbow greeted.
“H-Hi, Helpful.” Fluttershy also greeted.
“Hey, gals.” Applejack greeted back.
“What’s goin’ on?” Rainbow asked curious.
“Oh, nothing.” Applejack answered, but then locks her head against Rarity’s like a goat. “It’s just that Helpful’s my best friend and not Rarity’s.” Rarity locked her head back against Applejack’s.
“Oh, is that how you wanna play, huh?” Rarity scoffed. Dashie cutted in-between Rarity and Applejack.
“Whoa, whoa, whoa! There’s no point in arguing about who’s Helpful’s best friend.” Rainbow protested. Rarity and Applejack’s hard expressions were replaced by reasonable looks.
“You’re right, Dash.” Applejack admitted.
“I agree.” Rarity also replied. Dash laid an arm around Fluttershy’s shoulders.
“After all, Helpful’s Fluttershy’s and my best friend, right, Fluttershy?” Dashie replied proudly. Fluttershy immediately starts to hesitate.
“L-Leave me out of this,” Fluttershy squeaked stutteringly. “Please!”
“Now, hold on here just an applebuckin’ minute!” Applejack protested, and then Dash, Rarity, and Applejack argued against one another on who Helpful’s best friend is concurrently. Then Pinkie Pie walked on by and noticed the argument the three are having and looks excited. “Whatcha’ doin’ gals?” Pinkie asked. “It looks like fun!” She then ran into the center of the vocal battle and, instead of arguing, she started blabbering gibberish and nonsense. Fluttershy walked next to Helpful; looking at the dirt as she walked up beside him. “S-So, um, Helpful?” Fluttershy grabbed Helpful’s attention.
“Yes, Fluttershy?” Helpful replied.
“Rainbow Dash and I were wondering if we could teach you to fly again, i-if you don’t mind that is.”
“Well, I’d love to. Really!” Helpful looks to the sun it was almost disappearing into the ground just by several inches. “I gotta go!” Helpful runs off.
“Oh, but, Helpful, wait!” Fluttershy shouted trying to stop him, but he ran out of hearing. The argument between Applejack, Rarity, and Dashie, followed by Pinkie’s nonsensical gibberish continued until Twilight came by; confused on why they are arguing. “What is going on?” Twilight shouted; silencing them all except Pinkie Pie.
“So I said: ‘Lemon Split? What kind of flavor is that’?” Pinkie then notices everypony staring at her and then looks disappointed. “Aw! Are we already done?”
“Hey, Twilight.” Applejack greeted. “I was just telling these two that Helpful’s my best friend and my best friend only.” Rainbow locks heads with Applejack.
“No, he isn’t.” Dash protested; pushing Applejack back.
“Is too.” Applejack pushes Dashie back.
“Is not!”
“Is too!” Twilight pushed in-between Applejack and Rainbow from each other.
“Girls!” Twilight shouted sternly. “Why are you fighting? I mean, you’re all best friends and you haven’t fought like this before.”
“Twilight’s right.” Rarity agreed. “Why waste time bickering on who’s Helpful’s best friend when we can all be his best friend.” Applejack and Rainbow exchanged looks of apology.
“I’m sorry girls.” Applejack apoligized. “I was so wrapped up in thought of Helpful being my best friend that I forgot about you.”
“I’m sorry too.” Rainbow added.
“I’m not leaving myself out of this like some selfish pony.” Rarity also added to the apology. “I’m sorry as well. I too was so obscured by Helpful I forgotten my best friends.”
“You’re all forgiven.” Twilight told the three. “Looks like you all learned a new lesson on friendship.”
“We sure did, Twilight.” Applejack agreed. “I guess it’s: never forget your old friends when you meet new ones. You might even save your friendship.” Rainbow looked around for Helpful; he was nowhere in sight.
“Hey, where is that Helpful, anyway?” Dashie asked them.
“He left not too long ago.” Fluttershy explained. “I don’t know where he went or when he’ll be back.”
“Probably back to Canterlot Castle to report to Celestia.” Twilight thought out loud.
“You sure that we didn’t scare him off?” Rarity gasped.
“C’mon, Rarity!” Applejack laughed. “This is, Helpful we’re talkin’ about.”
“He’s too brave to be scared off easily.” Rainbow added proudly. “I’m sure he’ll be back.” The six old friends exchange uncomfortable looks to one another as it became dark.


In Canterlot Castle, Helpful walks into the throne room and keels before Celestia; who smiles warmly at him. Inside the throne room had a long red carpet, two Royal Guards stood at both sides of the carpet, and stairs lead straight up to Celestia. “Welcome back, Helpful the Selfless.” Celestia greeted him delightfully. “I was starting to worry about when you’ll be back.” She then notices the bag that held the suit Helpful got from Rarity and was curious. “Helpful?”
“Yes, Your Highness?” Helpful asked her.
“Where did you get the bag?” Helpful turns his gaze to the bag and smiles at her.
“Oh, this! It was a gift from one of the townsfolk. I know I shouldn’t have accepted it, but she insisted on it anyway.” Helpful explained. “I’ve finished what you’ve given me to do, Your Highness.” Celestia felt delighted on this report.
“Very good, Helpful. I am glad to see that the townsfolk appreciate you.” Celestia replied. “Do you have the book I wanted?” Helpful pulls out the book, Equestrian Histories.
“If you mean, ‘Equestrian Histories’ then yeah.” Celestia walked down the stairs and stopped in front Helpful. She took the book and opened it with her magic.
“Well done. I’m going to take some time to read this tonight.” Celestia walks past Helpful. “Would you care to join me?” Helpful stood up surprised, but delighted to be asked by the princess to join her on reading the history of Equestria.
“S-Sure!” Helpful caught up to her. Soon they walked through the halls of Canterlot Castle.
“And that, my friend, is the history of Equestria.” Celestia read the last of the book; she then closed it with her magic. “So, Helpful, what did you think?”
“Well, I didn’t know that at first everypony didn’t like one another and blamed their problems on each another.” Helpful answered deep in thought.
“Yes, it was quite a difficult time for them to put their differences aside, until they learned things the hard way.” Celestia replied. “But, when they did, their world changed for the better.” Celestia turns her gaze to the window outside. The night has fallen into rule now until it would be time for the day. “It’s late. You should rest. You have a busy day tomorrow.”
“Right then, I guess.” Helpful yawned. “I believe you’re right. Good night, Princess Celestia.”
“Good night, Helpful.” Celestia waved. Helpful entered his room, jumped into his bed, and laughed.
“Wow. What a day.” Helpful thought. “Those Cutie Marks those six mares have. They’re so familiar. Could they be part of my past, but how?” Helpful continued contemplating on the familiar symbols, when the window in his room blows open and surprises him out of his thoughts. The Tan Pegasus sits up to see a black Alicorn standing in his room. She had dark blue hair that swayed constantly in the air like Celestia’s only that it sparkled. Black bracelets were worn around her hooves, and she wore a black crown on her head. Finally, her Cutie Mark was a crescent moon. She smiles at Helpful comfortingly, but it didn’t make Helpful any calmer. “What are you doing in here?” Helpful asked, trying to keep his voice down.
“I am sorry for intruding thou room.” The Alicorn apoligized. “Allow me to introduce myself, I am Princess Luna; Celestia’s younger sister.” Helpful starts to calm down now.
“Okay then, I’m Helpful, uh; Helpful the Selfless.” Helpful climbs off his bed. “Why are you here?”
“I am here, because I wanted to meet thou in person.” Luna explained. “Tell me, where is thou from?”
“I don’t know, I can’t remember anything. Didn’t Celestia tell you this?”
“Actually, I didn’t bother to ask her. I wanted know from thouself.” Luna stares out into the night. “Well, allow me to skip the personal questions. Tell me, what does thou think of darkness?” Helpful took the time to think.
“Well, I don’t know much about darkness, but isn’t it a bad thing?” Helpful asked her thoughtfully.
“Yes, it can be, but it isn’t all bad, thou see.” Luna explained to Helpful. “Darkness is only a mysterious force beyond nature, though many wouldn’t see it that way. Darkness only becomes evil when tempted by Chaos; the real evil of the world. It is only deep down inside will thou see that Darkness is only like light; kind and caring.”
“Oh, I see.” Helpful began to grow curious. “But why are you telling me this?” Luna turned her gaze back to Helpful.
“Because I once was like the Darkness tempted by Chaos. I became a dreaded mare of darkness; Nightmare Moon, but six ponies saved me from torturing Equestria forever. I wanted ask some other pony about this to see what they thought about darkness.”
“What was it like being this Nightmare Moon?” Helpful asked the princess; reminding her of bare, fuzzy memories.
“It was cold, dark, and above all lonely.” Luna explained slowly. “The only one to talk to was the evil spirit thou let into thou heart. Thou might ask her time and time again to let thou go, but she’ll only laugh at thou questions like thou were her court jester.” Luna dropped a tear from her saddened face, she then sighed. “It was the worst torture anypony would ever endure.” Helpful noticed the tears falling from Luna as she sighed again. He couldn’t let her cry, so he gave her a tissue box.
“It’s okay, Luna.” Helpful assured. “It’s over with. She’s gone and you’re here in Equestria; where you belong. So no worries.” Luna accepted the box of tissues, took out a tissue, and blew her nose. “Just smile and all your cares will be a thing of the past.” Luna felt better after Helpful patted her back in sympathy.
“Thank you, Helpful the Selfless.” Luna wiped the tears from her cheeks and smiled graciously. “I believe I should leave thou back to thou sleep. I only wanted to meet thouself, Helpful, and I see that thou live to thy name. Good night, Helpful the Selfless.” Luna said as she gracefully and silently flew out the window. Helpful dashed to the window and looked outside, but Luna was nowhere in sight.
“Good night, Princess Luna.” Helpful muttered. He walked back into bed and slept peacefully.


Morning broke into Helpful’s room; he awakened from the light of the sun’s dawn and yawned as he stretched his arms out wide. He looked around the room, and then jumped, startled from the unexpected knock on his door. He rolled out of bed and opened the door to find Princess Celestia at his doorway. She smiled at him. “Good morning, Helpful.” Celestia greeted warmly.
“Uh, good morning, Your Majesty.” Helpful greeted back. “Is there a problem that calls for my attention?”
“No, I was just thinking about last night. I received a letter from Twilight Sparkle about a lesson in friendship; you taught them this lesson. So I came with the idea of letting you stay at Ponyville.” Celestia explained.
“Okay, if you say so.” Helpful replied skeptically. “But I don’t have a house to live in. Where will I stay?”
“You don’t have to worry about that. I’ve already found a mansion not far from Ponyville.” Celestia explained. “It may be old and dusty, but it has a beautiful view of Ponyville.”
“Great!” Helpful shouted excited. “When do I leave?”
“Today, in fact, you can leave now.” Celestia answered. Helpful closed the door, and all Celestia could hear was clanging and shifting of the dresser and wardrobe, and then Helpful opened the door; carrying the backpack Applejack gave him and the bag that held the suit that Rarity also gave him. “Then what are we waiting for? Let’s go!” Helpful replied. Celestia led Helpful to the Canterlot train station. There all the rich ponies gathered around, flashing strange devices and started a mashed chat together. Celestia stood in front of Helpful and on both her sides stood two of her Royal Guards. Beside Helpful’s right stood a large bag of gold. Helpful hauled the ton-weighed bag on his back. “Do I really need this much gold, Princess Celestia?” Helpful asked her curious.
“Yes, you do.” Celestia giggled. “You’ll need enough money to buy the things you need.”
“As you wish then.” Helpful replied. Celestia pulled out a small jewelry box with her magic and gave it to Helpful.
“Here I want you to have this.” Celestia told Helpful. He opened the box to find a large emerald inside. Inside the emerald had what seemed to be a tornado, constantly swirling in the center.
“Wow!” Helpful exclaimed in surprise. “What is this?”
“That is a Wind Emerald; so-called for its wind-like appearance. Consider it a Farwell gift.” Celestia explained calmly. Helpful closes the box and packs it into his yellow saddlebag.
“Thank you, Your Highness.” Helpful thanked the royal princess. His expression turns to disappointment. “So I guess this is Farwell.” Celestia sighs calmly and closes her eyes.
“Yes, I believe it is. Farwell, Helpful. Don’t forget that you are still my most trusted servant and I will still have many tasks for you.” Celestia opens her eyes and was surprised to find Helpful gone. “Helpful?” The train’s wheels began to whirl around and the train began to move forward. Celestia watched as the train left and then spotted Helpful sticking his head out from a window; waving good bye.
“So long, Celestia!” Helpful shouted over the train’s steam. “I won’t forget my duty to you!” Celestia smiled of relief as she watched Helpful’s train vanished out of sight. Soon, Helpful made it to Ponyville and he found the old mansion Celestia told him about. It was two stories high and the windows were broken along with the doors that covered them. A porch stood at the front of the manor; spreading across the wall. The roof above the porch was somehow patched with wood. Could somepony have done this? Probably happened years ago. Helpful looks up toward the roof and saw it covered mostly in fresh blocks of wood; they were all nailed in. Now he knew somepony was here some time ago, or was probably still here. Helpful walked up to the old wooden door and entered the mansion. Inside was so dark that he couldn’t see his hoof in front of him. He closed the door and tried to see through the darkness. “Okay. Where’s a light when you need one?” Helpful asked to himself, and then, as if what he said was some cue, the lights turned on and Helpful found the room filled with ponies top to bottom. “Surprise!” Everypony shouted loudly; scaring Helpful half to death. He faints twitching on the floor.
“Oh, my.” Fluttershy replied softly. “Was I too loud?”