• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 1,323 Views, 17 Comments

The Prince Returns - Shadowslash101



A story about a Tan Pegasus and the Mane Six saving Equestria from Everlasting Darkness.

  • ...
4
 17
 1,323

First Sight

Chapter Three

First Sight

“Helpful.” Spike’s voice spoke into hearing. Something shook Helpful hard causing him to open his eyes, and Helpful finds himself and Spike at the bottom of the abyss; they were on dry sandy land more like a sidewalk beside the river. “You okay Helpful?” Spike asked concerned as Helpful got up.

“Yeah’ sure’ I’m fine Spike.” Helpful assured. “Where are we?” Helpful and Spike looked up and all they saw was the dense fog above them, it was so dense that they couldn’t see through it at all. Helpful turns his gaze to Spike who shrugs. “I don’t know, but I think we’re in the bottom of the Endless Crevice.” Spike answered his voice echoed off the walls. Helpful digs into his pack and pulls out what seemed to be a map; he gives it to Spike. “You do know how to read these maps’ right’ Spike?” Helpful asked. Spike looks at the map and makes a few faces while turning the map in several weird directions; he finally stops and shrugs sadly.

“Sorry’ Helpful.” Spike apologized. “Maybe we can find a way out of here by walking either direction,” Spike pauses. “Or we’ll keep walking for days without food or water.” Spike’s stomach growls; he fell onto the ground and pulls himself towards Helpful’s face, he looks panicked. “I can’t live like this!” Spike shouted, and then a loud rumbling sound comes into hearing. Both Helpful and Spike widen their eyes. “Uh oh.” They both say as they look up to see rocks falling from above. Spike jumps into Helpful’s pack. “Run!” Spike shouted as he buttoned the flap of the bag over himself. Helpful runs through the water from the landslide from above, narrowly dodging the rocks as they land on the ground. “How are we going to get out of here now?” Helpful shouted as he dodges another rock from above him. Spike pops his head out of the bag.

“How am I supposed to know?” Spike answered bitterly. “Nopony has ever came to the bottom of the Endless Crevice and returned!”

“Like that’s supposed to make things better.” Helpful then spots some light coming out not to far from in front of them and smiles widely. “I think I see the way out.” Spike spots the same light.

“We’re gonna make it!” Spike shouted. They get closer and closer to the light, but, once they got there, they find the unexpected edge of a waterfall. Spike gasped “Oh no!” Spike shouted. “Hit the brakes!” Helpful tried to stop, but the sand under him couldn’t make enough friction for them to stop from falling over the edge, and they soon fall straight down once more down the waterfall anyway. “Not again!” Spike screamed in fear. They hit the water below with a huge splash, and Helpful was the first to get out of the water; he looked side to side searching for Spike, but he wouldn’t pop out of the water like the stallion expected. “Spike’ where are you? Spike!” Helpful panicked. “Oh shoot!” He took a deep breath in and dived in after Spike. Once underwater he spotted Spike getting deeper and deeper into deep, dark water, he was unconscious. Helpful grabbed the baby dragon and pulled him back up toward the surface. Once they get out above the surface, Spike sputtered and coughed as he gasped for breath. Helpful dragged Spike to the edge of the small lake they fell into, and laid him on the ground. “Spike’ you okay?” Helpful asked quite concerned about Spike’s condition. Spike sits up and looks around to find them in a small forest.

“I’m fine’ Helpful’ thanks for saving me.”

“That’s what I do Spike, or at least I think so.” Helpful smiled. Spike stands up and turns his gaze up the towering waterfall above them; he was quite astonished to find that they survived the fall.

“Are we in Everfree Forest again?” Spike asked. Helpful shrugs.

“I have no idea Spike. Maybe, but I doubt it.” Helpful answered, he looks up to scan a tree. “Maybe you can climb up there and find out.”

“Okay.” Spike climbs up the tree bark and into the leaves. Helpful starts to feel a little thirsty.

“I’ll be back’ Spike. Just gonna get a drink.”

“Okay’ Helpful!” Spike shouted over the rustling of leaves. Helpful turns toward the water’s edge and leans his head, mouth-first, down into the water to drink. Not too far behind him a yellow, light purple haired Pegasus mare walks backwards guiding some baby ducks in single file. “Now don’t worry little ones we’re almost to the water.” The mare cooed to the ducklings, unknowingly, she bumps into Helpful from behind.

“Whoa!” Helpful exclaimed in surprise as he fell into the water. The mare quickly spins around and finds Helpful in the water trying to stand up; the ducklings jump into the water and swim away. Helpful rubs his eyes as he gets out of the water; the mare apologizes. “I-I am so s-sorry. I wasn’t watching where I was going.” The mare said; Helpful chuckles.

“No biggy. I’m used to it anyway.” Helpful replied.

“N-No. I-I really am. It’s my fault.”

“It’s not that bad. You really shouldn’t be…apologizing…to…me.” Helpful stops rubbing his eyes and finds, what seems to him, the most beautiful mare he has ever laid his eyes on. Her eyes were the deepest emerald green he has ever seen; her hair was a violet color that made him feel like jumping for joy; even more her nose was as cute as a button, and her voice was like fresh fine silk. The sound of it was comforting to Helpful; made him a bit sleepy. The way her eyes fixed on him made him freeze in place; too nervous to move or talk.
Meanwhile’ up in the tree’ Spike climbs up closer to the top, and then he stops to catch his breath. “No more ice cream before bedtime.” Spike said to himself. “I gotta start losing weight.” He reaches for the branch above him, but he loses his footing and falls into the lower branches. His head gets stuck in-between a forked branch and he hangs by his head. Spike tries to pull himself out of the branch’s grasp, but his attempts land in futile. “Oh come on!” Spike thought. “Can’t I just get to the ground below?” Spike notices a second branch beside him just close enough for him to put his feet on. He reaches for the branch with his feet, and once he gets onto it, he tries to pull himself onto the branch, and then his head pulls free from the hindering branch that held him. “Yes!” Spike celebrated, but gravity catches up to him and he falls once again to the ground. “Whoa!” Spike falls into the bushes below with a thud, startling the mare. “WH-What was that!?” The mare shouted. Spike walks out the bushes holding up his head, like he had a headache.

“Ow.” Spike said as he rubbed his head. The mare sighs of relief. “It’s just you Spike. What’re you doing here?”

Spike crakes his back. “I might ask you the same question, Fluttershy.”

“I was just leading some ducklings to the pond, but then I accidentally bumped this guy into t-the water.” Fluttershy pointed to Helpful beside her; who doesn’t even twitch. “Once he got out I tried to apologize, but he won’t say anything.”

“Huh. Is that so?” Spike walks up to Helpful and stares real hard into his eyes. “Hey’ Helpful’ are you with us?” No answer. “If you’re with us; blink once.” Helpful doesn’t move still. Spike puts his ear on Helpful’s chest. “Well he’s breathing. Why am I doing this? This is Twilight’s job.” Spike reasoned with himself; he pulls up Helpful’s hoof and checks for pulse. “Normal heart-rate,” Spike lets go of Helpful’s hoof. “I don’t get it. How could Helpful be doing this? He hasn’t done this before. Has he?” Spike turns his look onto Fluttershy; who simply shrugs.

Above them, Rainbow Dash stares down toward Ponyville, searching for something to amuse herself, and then turns her gaze to Evergreen Forest. She couldn’t find anything there either, and then she sighs of boredom. “I’m…so…bored. There’s nothing to do today.” She notices Fluttershy, Spike, and Helpful down below in the forest. “Hello what’s this?” She gets the idea of Fluttershy talking with Helpful. “Wait a minute. Is Fluttershy…?” She snickers. “Okay. Okay. Okay. Be cool.” Rainbow Dash flies down in-between Helpful and Fluttershy. “Mind if I cut in?” She asked. Fluttershy looks at Rainbow Dash surprised, but glad to see her old friend.

“Not at all’ Rainbow Dash.” Fluttershy answered with a smile. “I was just apologizing to this guy, but something’s wrong.”

“What’s wrong?”

“He’s in some trance.” Spike explained. “I don’t know why.”

“Who is this guy?” Rainbow Dash walked over to Helpful and stared into his cyan eyes.

“His name is Helpful the Selfless. He’s a servant from Celestia. He’s got some errands to do here in Ponyville.”

“Then what is he doing here? Better yet’ what are you all doing here?”

“Well ya see. It’s a long story. Twilight and I were guiding Helpful to his next errand to finish, but Helpful’s list blew away and we chased after it.” Spike explained. “That’s when we ended up here, and Fluttershy was just bringing some ducks to this waterfall. How she knows how to get here I don’t know.”

“Wow. That’s weird.” Rainbow Dash said; she looked around as if trying to find something. “Well if Twilight was with you; where is she?” Spike gives a worried look as he reluctantly answered Rainbow Dash’s question.

“Ouch!” Fluttershy said.

“You said it’ Fluttershy.” Rainbow Dash shuddered. She waves a hoof in front of Helpful’s face. No reaction. “Hey! What gives??” Rainbow Dash exclaimed in confusion; she waves her hoof in front of his face again, nothing. Dashie then grabs Helpful’s face and shacks him harshly. “Wake up!” Rainbow Dash shouted furiously.

“Huh?” Helpful mumbled as if waking from a deep sleep. “What’s going on??” Rainbow Dash lets go of Helpful; he looks around. “What happened?” Helpful notices the light blue Pegasus with rainbow mane and tail; she also had a cutie mark shaped like a white cloud with rainbow lightning coming out of it. It looked awfully familiar to him. He still doesn’t know why though. The mare that put him into a trance-like state by accident also had a familiar cutie mark: three purple butterflies. Why is these cutie marks so familiar to him? Are they links to his forgotten past? “Helpful are you alright?” Spike asked the tan Pegasus.

“Oh’ yeah’ I’m fine Spike. No worries.” Helpful answered.

“Are you sure you kind of looked like you blacked out there for a sec, but I guess you’re alright.”

“You’re name’s Helpful right?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Yeah’ it is.” Helpful answered curious.

“Nice to meet you, my name’s Dash. Rainbow Dash; the fastest flier in all of Equestria.” Rainbow Dash posed like she was going to fly off in a second. “And you’ve probably already met Fluttershy.” Rainbow Dash pointed to Fluttershy; who looked down real shy-like and rubbed her hoof on the ground. Rainbow Dash looked a little uncomfortable. “What’s the matter? Say ‘hi’ Fluttershy.” Spike told Fluttershy. She looked up real slowly.

“Um’… h-hi’ Helpful.” Fluttershy whispered softly. Spike and Helpful both look at Fluttershy oddly.

“Don’t worry about her Helpful. She’s just being Fluttershy.” Rainbow Dash assured. “Where are ya headin’?” Helpful turns to Spike for an answer; he shrugs.

“We gotta find that list first’ Helpful. It’s the only thing that knows where to go next.”

“Wait. I saw a list that flew by not too long ago.” Fluttershy spoke up with a smile, but it quickly changes to a hesitant frown. “But it flew toward the Ursa Major’s lair in the Forevergreen Mountain. It could be so deep in there that it’s probably gone for good.”

“Well then what are we waiting for? Let’s go.” Rainbow Dash shouted excitedly. Spike looks nervous.

“But remember what happened last time somepony went into that place.” Spike shuddered. “Ponyville was nearly half destroyed and ‘the great and powerful’ Trixie ran off, and that was only an Ursa Minor.”

“What are you two whining about? It’s just an Ursa Major’s Lair. I mean what is so scary about that?”

“T-The Ursa Major itself.” Fluttershy answered nervously. Dash looks at Fluttershy oddly then she rolls her eyes.

“Just shows how chicken you are. Besides the Ursa might be just sleeping. What do you say’ Helpful?” Rainbow Dash notices that Helpful was gone. “Helpful?” Dash, Spike, and Fluttershy look around the area around them to find Helpful.

“Helpful!” Spike shouted, but was startled to hear Helpful, not too far ahead of them on the path toward the Ursa Major’s Lair, shout towards them.

“Well? What are we waiting for?” Helpful shouted. “Let’s go!” Helpful runs off ahead of them. Rainbow Dash makes a smirk. “See? Helpful’s not scared. So come on!” Rainbow Dash flies after Helpful; leaving Fluttershy and Spike alone. “Sh-Should we follow them?” Fluttershy asked Spike.

“Why should we? I mean they’re going straight toward the Ursa Major; I mean’ come on.” Spike reasoned. Then a howling of a Timberwolf pack came into hearing; unnerving Spike and making Fluttershy hesitant on staying beside the lake. “I’m g-going with them.” Fluttershy replied and started to follow Dash and Helpful’s path, Spike follows her. “I’m right behind you!” Spike ran after her.

The Sweet Apple Acers’ barn was full today. The entire Apple Family was there for, what they were told, a special meeting. The barn was filled with the unneeded chatter about several things not about the subject at hoof. Applejack pulls herself a crate and stands on top of it. She whistles a loud, ear-busting whistle that made to entire barn silent. “Thanks for your attention.” Applejack said. “Now my friend, Twilight, has something she would like to ask.” Applejack stepped off of the crate for Twilight the step on. Twilight looks upon her audience as she stepped up on the wooden crate; each one was listening with open ears.

“Thank you all for coming here.” Twilight began. “There is an emergency.” The barn quickly drowns into a deep sea of never ending conversations of concern and panic. “Please calm down! Everypony please don’t panic!” Applejack, once again, makes a loud ear piercing whistle that made the barn quiet once more. “Thank you’ Applejack.” Applejack smiles at Twilight. “Listen. Helpful the Selfless, a trusted servant of the princess that was put into my hooves, and Spike, my assistant, has disappeared, and Applejack and I need your help to find them.” Twilight explained.

“Well’ how’d you lose such a sweet stallion?” Granny Smith scolded Twilight. Applejack smiled uncomfortably.

“Granny Smith’ uh…” Applejack started, but Granny Smith climbed up on top the crate to speak.

“Helpful is the most handsome, strong, and patient boy I know, and he’s helped finished countless things in Sweet Apple Acers in a day, and he’s an honorary member of the Apple Family.” Granny Smith began her speech. The groups of listeners each nod their heads in agreement with the old mare.

“Eeyep.” Big Macintosh agreed. Twilight and Applejack exchange uneasy looks to one another.

“And furthermore, I’d be a eatin my own rockin chair if he doesn’t marry Applejack!” Granny Smith continued her speech, but Applejack pushes the light green mare off the crate and toward the exit of the barn. “Okay’ Granny. I think it’s about past your nap time.” Applejack said as she pushed the old mare out of the barn. The doors close with a slam. The group then turns their attention to Twilight’ who seems a little confused. “Okay’ so the bottom line is: can you help us find Helpful and Spike?”

“Well’ where’d you last see them?” A mare named Appleslice asked.

“Near the Endless Crevice, that’s not too far from here.” Twilight answered. Applejack returns into the barn.

“Alright’ I’m back.” Applejack announced. “What’d I miss?” The entire family of apple picking ponies stare at Applejack, most smiled impishly, making Applejack uncomfortable. “What?”

“Nothing,” Applebloom answered with an impish smile. “It’s just the fact that Granny Smith thinks that you and Helpful should get together.” Applebloom and the rest of the Apple Family laughed. Twilight tried to keep a straight face, but it was too funny to think about so she smiled cheerfully. Applejack’s face turned to a faded red; she was too embarrassed to hold back the redness of her face, but she managed to stay serious. “Come on now’ Apples,” She silenced the group of hard working ponies. “This is serious talk, and as Apples, we must stay serious’ am I right?”

“Eeyep.” Big Macintosh agreed with Applejack.

“For all we know, Helpful and Spike could be lost in the Endless Crevice, or in danger with a dangerous creature in there. We have to find them before they get hurt, or worse.” Twilight explained. “Are you with us?” The group of jolly farmers huddled together and whispered in a conversation that neither Twilight nor Applejack could hear; Applebloom walked around the huddled Apple Family, jumping up so she could hear them. Then they broke their huddle and Big Mac whispered into Applejack’s ear. “Thank you’ Macintosh.” Applejack said; she turned around to face Twilight and smiled. “Twilight Sparkle’ you have the Apple Family’s full support and number. We’ll find Helpful and Spike in no time.” Applejack announced with delight.

Meanwhile’ Helpful, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Spike walk through the dark shadow of Everfree forest. Spike rode on Helpful’s back; who didn’t mind at all. The forest was dark and at most times unnerving, but Helpful finds it all intriguing on how all the plants grow so large and yet it is still small from outside. Helpful, walking not too far beside Fluttershy, felt increasingly strange every time he looked at her. What was this feeling that overcame him at the lake the mare was apologizing at? It was hard for him to speak even at short breaks to find how far they were from the Ursa’s Lair. What was even stranger is that it gets stronger when she is near him, or even looks at him for a short-lived moment. The feeling was starting to make him annoyed because of this. He has never felt this way with anymare before. It’s weird. Spike brings Helpful out of his thoughts. “Hey’ Helpful.” Spike grabbed his attention. “Aren’t you scared?” Helpful thinks for a moment.

“I don’t think so.” He answered. “Why?”

“Well’ you do know what an Ursa Major is right?”

“No’ not really, but I don’t really let that bother me.” Then Rainbow Dash stops them to a halt.

“This is it guys.” Rainbow Dash announced. “Here’s the Ursa’s Lair.” Helpful looks up to see a dark, damp, root-covered, huge, deep cave in front of them. Spike looked a little uneasy.

“M-Maybe we can ask another list from Celestia.” Spike said hoping that Helpful would change his mind; he got off of Helpful. “Yeah’ that sounds like a great idea. ‘Go ask Celestia for another list.’ Come on’ Helpful.” Spike walked the opposite way from the cave, thinking that Helpful was following him, but soon noticed that he wasn’t, he stared at Helpful puzzled. “Helpful I said ‘come on’. That means ‘follow me’.”

“I’m not leaving.” Helpful finally said, grabbing Dash’s attention. “I have to get that list no matter what.” He continued. Spike looked a little confused and worried.

“Wait. Don’t tell me you’re gonna go in there…alone.” Spike said nervously. Dash quickly puts an arm across Helpful’s shoulders.

“Don’t worry’ Spike.” The light blue Pegasus assured. “He’s not in it alone. I’ll go with to make sure he doesn’t get into trouble.” Fluttershy stood beside Rainbow Dash.

“I-I’ll go too.” The shy Pegasus added.

“Great! The more the merrier!” Helpful shouted with delight.

“Well’ okay’ I guess I should go too.” Spike sighs as he gets onto Helpful’s back, and the four brave adventurers enter the pitch black cave. It was cold inside the cave, which made them shiver a little, but the most hindering was the lack of light. Fluttershy trips over a root beside Helpful. He helps her up gently. “Um’ are you okay…?” Helpful asked Fluttershy. She smiles. “Yes’ um’ thank you.” Fluttershy walks ahead of Helpful who blushes. Spike notices his blushing smile and seems a little curious.

“Helpful’ what are you smiling at?” Helpful then remembers that Spike was still with him; he looks away from Fluttershy and curls in his lips. “Now what do I do?” Helpful thought. “I can’t lie, and I’m not ready to tell anypony about this; gotta change the subject so Spike won’t know the truth.” Helpful looked around to find something to help change the conversation, but Spike climbed off of Helpful and looked at him real curious then he turns around to see what Helpful was looking at, then Helpful, out of pure reflex to keep Spike from knowing the truth, stomped on Spike’s tail, which made him, involuntarily, blow fire onto the roots on the wall beside them, illuminating the cave dimly. Once Spike stopped his fire spouting, he turned around to face Helpful cross, but before Spike could say anything, Rainbow Dash picks up a root with a burning end on it. “Great idea’ Spike!” She exclaimed excitedly. “Now we can see in the dark better.” Spike looks a little confused, but he goes along with the flow.

“N-No problem here’ Dash.” Spike smiled with nothing to say. The wall of burning roots fell before the four friends revealing a secret hall. It was more bricked on the walls, ceiling, and floor. Making the hall look like it was part of a pyramid. Rainbow Dash walks into the hall with the torch in mouth. “Whoa.” Dash said, the hall echoed the word several times until it faded out of hearing. Spike gets on Helpful’s back and looks closely on the brick wall. It was old. Very old and untouched by ponies hoofs for at least decades. “Okay’ well’ this is new.” Spike thought out loud.

“What is it Spike?” Fluttershy asked the small dragon. Spike turns his attention from the wall to Fluttershy.

“Oh! I’m sorry. I was just thinking out loud there for a sec.” Spike answered. “These walls haven’t been used in years.” Rainbow Dash scoffs.

“That’s a no-brainer.” Rainbow replied. “I mean just look at this place.” She kicks some dust from the ground; making Helpful and Spike cough. “There’s so much dust in here that the dust bunnies are as huge as the Ursa Minor.” Fluttershy gasps and shivers behind Helpful and Spike; who exchange odd looks at one another. Then Spike’s ear twitches as if he was barely hearing something. Helpful noticed this. “What is it Spike?” Helpful asked; Spike leans to the left towards the hallway. “I can’t tell.” Spike answered. “Maybe it’s trees being sawed. No. That’s not right. Um’ hold on.” Spike gets off of Helpful’s back again and walks slowly down the hall, and then he turns around. “Come on! I think it’s coming from in here.” Helpful looks at Rainbow Dash beside him, who simply shrugs and follows the baby dragon down the ruined hallway, Fluttershy and him followed quickly. Soon further down the old hallway’ they reached a fork in the walkway and Spike stopped and twitched his ears in various directions, and then he points to his left. “I think…” The dragon drops his arm and twitches his ears again. “No. Wait.” He points to his right. “It’s that way. It must be that way.” Helpful looks down the path that Spike was pointing toward; nothing could be seen in the pitch black darkness. He wasn’t sure what Spike was getting, but he must be getting something. Spike’s ears twitch again; he holds his head like he was getting a headache. “Argh’ I can’t find which way the sound’s coming from!” Spike admitted. “It’s like lab rats in a maze…and we’re the lab rats.”
“And the sound must be the cheese we need to get.” Rainbow added.

“That’s exactly what I’m saying’ Dash.” Helpful looks from Rainbow to Spike and back confused.

“Would somepony please start making sense?” Helpful demanded wildly looking anxious. Rainbow Dash stares at Helpful oddly, but, before she could ask ‘why’, she notices something behind him.

“What’s that?” Dash asked as she passed by Helpful to the wall. Helpful, Fluttershy, and Spike all turn around to see a giant, celestial mural on the wall. It had a pony at the top of it clad in knight’s armor and at the bottom of it had six ponies. Each stood on its hind legs and a colored beam shot from the head of each of the ponies into another pony clad in a different design of knight’s armor. It was etched on the mural to where it looked like it was in mid-fight and a white beam from the head of the flying pony hits the pony on the top of the mural clad in knight’s armor. “Spike’ can you at least figure out what this mural says?” Rainbow Dash asked the small dragon. “O-okay’ I’ll try.” Spike said as he dusted the inscription under the mural. He looks at the message closely. “It’s a prophecy! It’ says: ‘on the day of Mortal Judgment, the world will fall into a never ending rule of the Cursed Prince-’” Rainbow Dash interrupts Spike.

“Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! The Day of Mortal Judgment, and Cursed Prince,” Rainbow said. “What are they?” Spike looks at Dash and shrugs.

“I have no idea.”

“Keep reading.” Helpful urged for Spike to read the mural. Spike turns around and returns to the story.

“’He will hold six powerful symbols of Chaos, and take all from the surviving peasants of his empire. They will be destined to die on his lands-’” Fluttershy gasps.

“D-D-Die??” Fluttershy asked saddened by the murals prophecy. “They’ll all die?” Her eyes begin to fill up in tears, but Helpful puts a hoof on her shoulder.

“Don’t worry.” Helpful reasoned with Fluttershy trying to cheer her up. “It’s only a mural. What it says doesn’t always happen the way it does…it may even never happen at all.” Fluttershy’s tears go away as she feels better. Helpful turns his attention to Spike. “You can continue.” Spike reads the last of the mural.

“’He will stretch his reign of evil everywhere and there will be nowhere to run, but fear not, for the Lost Prince shall fight the Cursed Prince and the two royals will fight: one for his endless dark reign, and the other one for the peace and freedom of the world. The Lost Prince will fight with powerful symbols of Harmony, and the two royals will be evenly matched in power, but the Light will conquer the Darkness for six Embodiments of Harmony will add their power to the Lost Prince’s, and the Cursed Prince will be defeated, and peace will forever reign under the rule of the Lost Prince, over the world.’” Spike finished the inscription. “Wow. That sounds unbelievable.”

“But what does it all mean?” Helpful asked. Then loud, rumbling snoring sounds scare the four explorers. Fluttershy hugs Spike real tight to where he couldn’t breathe.

“WH-What is that!?” Fluttershy screamed in fear. Rainbow smiles of delight after the sound faded away.

“Sounds like the snoring of an Ursa Major to me.” Rainbow Dash flies off leaving the three others in the dark. Fluttershy squeaks in fear.

“Fluttershy… I can’t breathe.” Spike choked. Fluttershy lets go of Spike and apologizes. The baby dragon breathes in deep breaths for air. Helpful looks around; can’t see anything in the dark without the torch Dash flew off with. Another deep rumble of the Ursa Major’s snoring goes though the hallway. Fluttershy yelps and plays dead on the floor. Helpful looks down at Spike’s tail, he smirks. Spike noticed Helpful’s look and then he realized what he was planning to do, and he doesn’t like it. “Oh no’ you’re not gonna do that again!” Spike started to protest against him. Helpful scooped up Fluttershy and sat her on his back; he did the same with Spike except he faced backwards. Helpful spreads his wings and stomped on Spike’s tail again. The dragon blows out fire like a rocket and Helpful flew off like a bullet through the hallway. Soon they caught up with Rainbow Dash from behind. Passing by her at quite an incredible speed, they surprise Dash as Helpful says, “Hi!” Rainbow stares wide-eyed and speechless as they slowly pass by her. Helpful laughs. “We just passed by the ‘fastest flier in Equestria’!” Helpful shouted to Fluttershy, who was scared to death by sudden burst of speed she experienced. She smiled, but soon realized that Spike was running out of breath. She looks back at Spike and sees the fire he was blowing out begin to sputter and die down. They were losing their source of speed. Fluttershy turns to Helpful. “Spike’s losing it’ Helpful!” Fluttershy tried to shout over the loud rumbles of snores and the high speed wind, but Helpful couldn’t hear her right.
“What?” Helpful asked her.

“Spike is running out of breath!”

“I can’t hear you! Say that again!” Before Fluttershy tried again, Spike slowly ran out of breath and they began to lose altitude. Spike, after taking a quick breather, grabbed another rope from Helpful’s bag and threw it to a root sticking out the wall then he tied it to Helpful. “Brace yourselves.” Spike warned. The rope then tugged them back hard in mid-flight; stopping them, and then they fell, but hung from the edge of the broken hallway; not so far down from them, they instead find themselves hanging over whatever was snoring. “I can’t see a thing.” Helpful whispered. “Spike’ check if there’s something that’ll give us light.” Spike salutes to Helpful.

“I’m on it’ Helpful.” Spike checked through Helpful’s bag and pulled out a flashlight. “Ha! Found you!” Spike shouted. Helpful and Fluttershy shushed Spike. “Right’ I forgot. Sorry’ guys.” Spike takes the flashlight and turns it on, but he had the light in his eyes and it blinded him, and because of this he accidently dropped the flashlight.

“Spike!” Helpful whispered. The flashlight hits the floor below and it rolled to where the light shone into the face of a giant fanged bear-like creature. The monstrosity had a star on its forehead and on the rest of its body had smaller stars as well. Fluttershy gasped and Helpful and Spike looked nervous. “Don’t make a sound.” Helpful whispered. He then noticed something in the creature’s teeth. Something white and paper-like was stuck in-between. “The list.” Helpful gasped. “Spike’ I found the list.” Spike looked around for the list that Helpful spotted.

“Where is it’ Helpful?” Spike asked.

“Right down there in-between that monster’s teeth.” Helpful pointed below. “We can just reach down and take it now.” Spike looks even more hesitant.

“I don’t know.”

“Come on now’ Spike. It’ll be a breeze. Trust me.” Helpful beckoned, he turns his gaze to Fluttershy. “You should fly up to the hallway so you won’t get hurt.” But, before Fluttershy could say anything, the rope broke and they fell onto the floor under them. Fluttershy and Spike got off of Helpful; who was flattened on the ground.

“S-Sorry if I hurt you’ Helpful.” Fluttershy apologized as she and Spike helped him up.

“It’s no problem’ Fluttershy.” Helpful assured her. They were before the giant bearish creature now; Helpful picks up the flashlight Spike dropped and spots the list in the furry creature’s teeth. “Over here.” Fluttershy and Spike follow Helpful as he creeps toward the snoring creature. He slowly bites the list and pulls it from the teeth of the sound asleep creature. Fluttershy and Spike look anxious as Helpful pulls the list out. They sigh of relief. Helpful turns around with list in his mouth and reads softly. “’Number two: go to Sugar Cube Corner to help taste new recipes.’” Spike’s stomach growled. He smiles and laughs uncomfortably.

“Just in time too.” Spike replied. “I’m starved. When we get there I’d like to have a Sapphire Cupcake, some Emerald Pudding, and’ uh…” Spike stops to think.

“Where is this Sugar Cube Corner?” Helpful asked Fluttershy.

“I-It isn’t too far away in Ponyville.” Fluttershy answered. “It’ll be easy to spot.” Spike gasped as he remembered what else he wanted from the Sugar Cube Corner.

“Oh! Oh! And some Ruby Taffy!” Spike whispered loudly; he rubbed his belly and licked his lips as Helpful rolled his eyes. Then a light came down from above and landed on a rock; it was Rainbow Dash.

“Come and get some’ Ursa Major!” Rainbow Dash shouted making echoes in the cavern. Helpful, Spike, and Fluttershy give looks of uneasiness and panic as the echoes repeated in the cave. However, the creature remained asleep. Spike faints on the floor, and Fluttershy and Helpful sigh of relief. “Wow. It sure is a heavy sleeper.” Helpful remarked aloud. The creature’s eyes shot open and it starts to move slowly up right; it rubs its sore eyes as it yawned. Helpful, Fluttershy, and Dash cover their ears from the blasting sound; Rainbow smiles with pleasure. “Oh’ yeah’ this is gonna be good.” Dash said as she flew up toward the creature. It notices her approach and growled deeply at her, making Fluttershy nervous, but Rainbow keeps her cool. “Okay’ Ursa Major.” She started. “I believe you have something that belongs to us. Something…” Dash thinks for a second. “Oh’ I don’t know; a slice of paper perhaps. Just something with a lot of important writing’ okay?” The Ursa Major looks at Rainbow confused. A slice of paper, writing? The Ursa scratched its head and took a minute to think. “Dash’ we already have the list!” Helpful grabbed Rainbow’s attention. She looks surprised and annoyed.

“What?? You got to the list before me??” Dash shouted, but then was nervous to hear the sound of growling behind her. She turned around looking at the growling Ursa embarrassed and laughed uncomfortably. “Uh’ okay’ I guess we’ll be on our way then. So…” Dash said then she flew of at high speed, surprising the Ursa Major. “Well’ don’t just stand there!” Rainbow ordered. “Run!” Helpful tossed Spike onto his back and turned to Fluttershy. “Well’ you heard the mare.” Helpful reasoned. “Come on!” Fluttershy and Helpful ran leaving the Ursa Major confused and irritated. The Ursa rumbles a humungous roar and chases them. Spike woke up, and found himself on Helpful’s back. He looks up to see the Ursa Major gaining on them. He gasped and fainted again. Fluttershy looks at Helpful beside her. “What are we going to do?” She asked, trying to shout over the Ursa’s roaring. Helpful looked around. He couldn’t see anything in the dark. All he had was a flashlight. “I don’t know!” Helpful answered, and then he spotted a small opening under a broken pillar not too far ahead of them. “Look out!” Helpful shouted as he slid under the pillar. Fluttershy flew over it, and the Ursa broke straight through it; sending pieces of stone everywhere. A piece hit Spike and it woke him up once more, he looks up at the Ursa Major, who was still chasing them. “Whoa!” Spike exclaimed in fear. “Come on guys! Pick up the pace!”

“We’re trying Spike, but we’re running as fast as we can.” Helpful replied. “Can’t you do something?” Spike looked around. His eyesight was far better than Helpful and Fluttershy’s in the dark. He saw a turn coming up ahead that was too sharp for the Ursa Major and it as too narrow for it to get into. “There! Turn on your left!” Spike pointed out. “Turn now!” Helpful and Fluttershy turn sharply to the left and lose the Ursa Major immediately. They stop to take a breather and look back toward where they lost the Ursa Major. “We lost it.” Helpful pointed out. “Now we’re safe… for now.” Spike got off of Helpful’s back and to the floor.

“That was too close.” Spike reasoned. “I am not doing that again.” Fluttershy looks around worried.

“W-Where’s Rainbow Dash?” Fluttershy asked worried about her good friend. Helpful and Spike look around too. They couldn’t find Dash anywhere.

“She must’ve passed by here without turning this way.” Spike assumed. Helpful walked back to the way they came; making Fluttershy and Spike confused and uneasy. “Just where do you think you’re going’ Helpful?” Helpful stopped half-way into the fork in the hallway.

“I’m going back to find Rainbow Dash.” Helpful answered. “I can’t let her stay here alone and lost.” Spike thinks about Helpful’s answer; he was right. It wouldn’t be right if anypony would ever leave somepony alone in this type of cave; especially with that Ursa Major running rampant. “If you don’t want to follow that’s understandable. I can find Dash on my own. You two, if you want to bad enough, can leave back to Ponyville and find help.” Helpful tossed the flashlight he held to Fluttershy and Spike. “Use this and you’ll be out in no time.” Fluttershy takes the flashlight and looks up to Helpful concerned for his safety.

“H-How will you find Rainbow without a light to help you see?” Fluttershy asked. Helpful laughed softly.

“Don’t worry about me. Worry about yourself, and don’t worry; Spike will protect you.” Helpful smiled as he walked into the pitch black darkness alone. Fluttershy started after him, but Spike held her back.

“Come on!” Spike urged. “We gotta get outta here and find Twilight, and the others.”

“But’ Helpful’ he…” Fluttershy protested. “We gotta help him! We can’t just let him find Rainbow Dash alone!” Spike looked at Fluttershy serious.

“I know, but he can do this. I’m sure of it.” Spike climbed onto Fluttershy’s back. “After all, he saved me from getting crushed by a rockslide and drowning. Now let’s go.” Fluttershy slowly took a few steps toward the other way from where Helpful was going. She thought about what Helpful did and what he said to her and Spike. Nopony treated her in such a way that made her feel much less nervous in these times. Out of all the other stallions, Helpful was…different; a good type of different, in fact, he had a childish care-free nature, but also had kindness and care. She felt like she needed to be near him; it makes her feel less troubled about everything, but then the thought of leaving Helpful as he went to find Rainbow Dash alone in the lightless cave with an Ursa Major running loose came into mind. Her conscience couldn’t tolerate this at all. Fluttershy stopped; making Spike a little confused, “We can’t just leave Helpful alone. We… I have to help him!” Fluttershy thought, and then she turned around and bolted full speed after Helpful; freaking out Spike.