• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 1,329 Views, 17 Comments

The Prince Returns - Shadowslash101



A story about a Tan Pegasus and the Mane Six saving Equestria from Everlasting Darkness.

  • ...
4
 17
 1,329

The Escape

Chapter 4
The escape

Heart racing, wings flapping at full speed, and starting to get tired; Rainbow Dash kept flying away from the Ursa Major. Soon she reaches a gap in the stone walls and hides in it. She has flown quite a long way through this cave all because she aggravated an Ursa Major; now she doesn’t know where Spike, Fluttershy, and Helpful might have gone to. “I hope they’re safe.” Rainbow said to herself. She peeks past the corner of her ‘hidden hole’ and couldn’t see anything in the pitch black darkness. She sighed of relief and moved back into the gap. “Great. All we needed to get from here was only Helpful’s stupid list, and now I’m chased by an Ursa Major in the Forevergreen caverns with no idea on how to get out. Darn it. It just isn’t my day.” Then the sound of huge stomping came into hearing.
Dash could feel the vibration of each footstep get more violent as they got closer. Then she could see the Ursa Major, just right beside the entrance of the gap, stand up and scratch its head; it was obvious to Rainbow that the Ursa was confused on how it lost them in the cave ruins. Soon the large behemoth turned around and stomped away. Rainbow looked around to see if the Ursa was truly gone; it was nowhere in sight; Dash sighed of relief. “That was too close.” Rainbow took the torch she held and walked deeper into the cave, she noticed the torch was glowing dimmer; it was losing its flare. Soon a freezing wind blew though the cavern and made Rainbow shiver harshly and close her eyes for a second, then, when she opened her eyes, the light was gone. The torch was out, most likely, from the bone-chilling wind. Dash looked around; trying to see through the pitch-black darkness, and soon she spotted a light shooting out from a hall just around the corner. Dashie ran around the corner and found herself in a large chamber somehow filled with warm light. At the top of the chamber, Dash could see a large crystal that was somehow making the light in the room. The light it made was very warm, like a day at the pool in the Summer time.
Besides the giant celestial rock in the ceiling, Rainbow noticed that there were statues lined at both of the walls to the sides; they looked like warrior ponies from long ago; each with a sword and shield. On their shields had a symbol that looked like a crown and light was coming down to the land below from the celestial headpiece; it was a very strange sight to her, but she tossed the thought aside and continued scanning the chamber. She spotted stairs that went up to a large sapphire gem on top of a stone stand. “Whoa! This is just like the book: Daring-Do and the Quest for the Sapphire Stone!” Rainbow Dash gasped excitedly. She ran right up to the blue jewel. It was larger than she anticipated; it was at least a yard tall and wide. It took the shape of a large, craggy sphere.
Rainbow leaned so close to the sapphire that she could almost smell it. Her eyes were right up to her reflecting ones, then, without warning, something dark and shadow-like flew though inside the jewel; scaring Dash backwards onto her rump. That was not what she thought would happen, in fact, that was so unpredictable that Rainbow even knew that Rarity wouldn’t look at a sapphire the same way again if she experienced that. Dashie stood up and backed away from the sapphire real slow-like. “O-Okay’s t-that’s just unnatural coming from a big jewel like you.” Dash stammered quickly. “S-So I’ll be on my way.” The rainbow colored maned Pegasus turned around and ran straight out the bright chamber and into the lightless cave. She ran into Helpful in her panic; who looked quite surprised to find her so easily. They landed on the floor and Spike and Fluttershy helped them up. Once she stood up, Rainbow realized that Helpful, Fluttershy, and Spike found her. She was still in a state of panic so she started to explain to her friends what she just experienced a little too fast. “Helpful, Spike, and Fluttershy; am I glad to see you! I was being chased by that Ursa Major, but then I finally lost it and found this strange chamber, not too far from here, and found a sapphire in there! I took a closer look at it and something moved in it and surprised me, so I left the chamber and here I am!” Rainbow Dash explained her story too rapid for the others to understand. “What did you say, Dash?” Helpful asked her. Rainbow Dash took a deep breath and calmed herself down, and then she explained her story at a reasonable speed for them to understand. “Wow’ that sounded pretty scary!” Spike replied. “You said it’ Spike.” Helpful agreed. “But there’s no need for staying around to see for ourselves. Let’s get out of this place.” Fluttershy nodded in agreement. The four run off deeper toward the exit of the cave.
Meanwhile, at the edge of the Endless Crevice, the Apple Family searched the area on both sides of the deep trench. Twilight has set up a large, purple tent beside the canyon with a six pointed star above the door. Applejack walks inside the tent, almost tipping over a vase of maps and other charts, and finds Twilight going through some maps. “Twilight, we searched everywhere, but we can’t find a safe way down the Endless Crevice anywhere.” Applejack told her old friend. Twilight put the maps down and looked at Applejack’ mentally disturbed.
“What?? No!” Twilight started to giggle insanely. “They could fall all the way down there and live; I know that much, they’re still alive. They’re alive!” Twilight laughed insanely loud, but Applejack smacked the back of Twilight’s head hard; putting a stop to the unicorn’s insane laughter. “Twilight’ you gotta grab a hold of your sanity.” Applejack scolded. “You going coo-coo in the brain will only make this harder for us to find Helpful and Spike.” Twilight looked down toward the ground ashamed.
“I know, Applejack; I know.” Twilight made her apology for losing herself for a moment. “It’s just the pressure about Helpful being lost, and if he’s lost: he won’t be able to finish his errands that Celestia gave him before sundown, and then he’ll be in trouble and Celestia will be asking me where he is, and I’ll be in so much trouble.” Twilight started to panic again, but Applejack smacked the back of the student of Celestia’s head back to reality. “Thank you’ Applejack.” Applejack nods. “Anyway’ if we don’t find a way down there soon… it’ll be too terrible to comprehend.” Twilight looked out a window on her left and stared at the Endless Crevice’s clouds rising up from below. It was only normal to see such a phenomenon from that canyon; then Applebloom busted through the fabric doors of the tent, tipping the vase of course-plotting charts. Luckily, Applejack saves the vase from breaking into a million fragments of pottery; she sighs of relief after she lifted it up-right, then turned her attention to Applebloom who seemed quite excited. “Applebloom, what’s got you all hyped up for?” Applejack asked her little sister confused and curious.
“We found a way down to bottom of the Endless Crevice!” Applebloom explained energetically. Applejack and Twilight both look surprised. “We have to go through Everfree Forest to get there.”
“Well, chop my trees and sell em as firewood;” Applejack laughed, patting Applebloom’s back. “There is a way down to the Endless Crevice after all.” Twilight looks at an early map of Everfree Forest to be sure of Applebloom’s report.
“It’s true!” Twilight exclaimed in surprise “In fact’ there was a way; through Everfree Forest. It’s like a ramp the disabled ride on to get to somepony’s home. We’ll just walk down it and beside it to find the Endless Crevice.” Applejack smiled greatly.
“Well, what are we waiting for?” Applejack asked. “Let’s get a move on!” Applejack and her sister left the tent then realized that Twilight wasn’t following them. They walk back inside to find Twilight putting on a large bag filled up to the top with charts, navigational tools, science tools, and many other contraptions that wouldn’t be necessary to bring in the first place. Applejack gives Twilight a questioning look. “Uh’ Twilight’ what’s with all the’ uh’… stuff you’re bringing?” Applejack asked thoughtfully. Twilight looked at the backpack of educational tools then laughed a little uncomfortably and turned her gaze to Applejack, self-conscious.
“Oh, I see. Um, I don’t really need these, now do I?” Twilight asked slowly. Applejack nods. “Okay, well, I’ll just put these back then.” Twilight took off the collage gear and walked with Applejack and Applebloom toward Everfree Forest.
Meanwhile’ at the entrance of the Ursa’s Lair; Rainbow Dash, Helpful, Spike, and Fluttershy exit out of the ruined cave. Spike jumps off of Helpful and kissed the ground several times. “Oh, thank Celestia we got out of that cave!” Spike exclaimed in relief. “I thought we would never get out of there.” Helpful laughed.
“I told you, Spike, which we could get out.” Helpful told the dragon. “Now, we can take care of those errands.” Helpful pulls out the list and reads aloud. “’Go to Sugar Cube Corner to help taste new recipes.’ Okay, let’s go.” Spike climbed onto Helpful’s back and started to leave Fluttershy and Dash.
“Wait a minute.” Rainbow shouted after them; she and Fluttershy shortly caught up to Spike and Helpful. “Can we come along too?” Dashie asked the two, which surprised both Spike and Fluttershy.
“Sure, why not?” Helpful answered with a smile. The four once again walk through the dark, dense Everfree Forest. Rainbow walked beside Helpful.
“Thanks for finding me in that cave back there.” Dash thanked the Tan Pegasus, surprising Spike and Fluttershy even more. “You really do live up to your name.” Dash stopped in mid-thought. “You’re awesome! We should hang out more often.” Helpful started to get excited.
“You really mean it??” Helpful asked excitedly. Rainbow smiled.
“Yeah, totally; where do you live?” Helpful thinks, but before he could answer Spike answered for him.
“He’s a servant of Celestia so he would probably live in Canterlot Castle.” Spike explained. “Isn’t that right, Helpful?”
“I guess so.”
“’You’re a servant of Celestia? That sounds cool.” Rainbow said aloud. “How long since you become her servant?”
“I started to be her servant today.” Helpful answered a little in thought. “The reason why is because I was helping her other servants around the castle. She noticed this and was very grateful, so she made me her most trusted servant, and then she sent me here.” Dash found this all interesting.
“Wow, that’s really cool!” Dashie then noticed on Helpful’s flank there was no Cutie Mark, which aroused many questions inside her mind. “Say, if you’re a servant of Celestia; what happened to your Cutie Mark, Helpful?” Helpful’s smile soon dropped to a frown; he stopped, making Spike, Fluttershy, and Dash uneasy.
“I have Amnesia.” Helpful answered seriously. “I can’t remember my past or my real name, and, as a result of this, my Cutie Mark disappeared with my memory.” Fluttershy could barely see a tear drop off Helpful’s chin as he said that; she felt awfully sorry for him. A stallion with no apparent memory of his past and identity would surely be lost and afraid, but Helpful wasn’t afraid he was only ashamed of his blank side. She knew she had to do something to cheer him up.
“D-Don’t worry’ Helpful.” Fluttershy spoke hesitantly. “I-I believe your Cutie Mark will come back… w-with your memory.” Fluttershy hoped that would be enough, then Dash added onto Fluttershy’s statement.
“Yeah’ I bet your Cutie Mark’s gonna be awesome!” Rainbow agreed with Fluttershy. “Just you wait!” Helpful rubbed the tears off his face and looked up to Fluttershy and Dashie.
“Thanks’ Rainbow Dash and F-Fluttershy.” Helpful thanked them with a small smile; Spike patted Helpful’s back.
“It’s okay’ Helpful.” Spike assured him. “Nopony can blame you. Besides’ you’ve done a lot for all of us here… I think.” Spike stopped a minute to think, and then he continued. “You saved you and me from being crushed by rocks; you also saved me from drowning in that lake, not too long ago, then you went to search for Dash even though you knew there was an Ursa Major on a rampage. You’re a great friend, Helpful… to all of us.” Helpful’s face brightened after seeing Dash and Fluttershy both nod in agreement with Spike.
“Wow’ I don’t know to thank you all!” Rainbow rolls her eyes.
“Just say it’ Helpful.” Dash told the enthused stallion with a smile.
“Okay!” Helpful shouted as he grabbed all his friends together for a big bear hug. “Thank you; I love you all so much!” Helpful shouted in glee as he hugged his friends a little too tight, surprising them. Spike could barely breathe, but he somehow managed to talk in his agony.
“Yeah’… we love you too’… Helpful,” Spike gasped in pain. “But could you please… soften the hugging?” Helpful lets go of the bear hug; letting the others gasp for air. Dash was surprised at Helpful for being so gracious toward them.
“S-Sorry’ heh’ don’t know my own strength.” Helpful apologized. Dash, Spike, and Fluttershy’s breathing begins to retard.
“It’s alright’ Helpful.” Rainbow assured. “You’re our best friend’ so it’s okay.” There it was again ‘best friend’ Helpful made three new best friends along with Applejack; that made a total of four best friends in one day. He wondered if he could be best friends with Celestia and Typhoon, not to forget, Twilight. Then Spike climbed onto Helpful’s back again, bringing him out from his thoughts. Dash flew up in the air over the trees and spotted Ponyville not too far off. “There’s Ponyville! We can make less time if we fly there.” Rainbow shouted back to her friends below. “Can you fly, Helpful?”
“No, sorry, Dash” Helpful answered. “I can’t remember how.” Dashie then landed between Helpful and Fluttershy; scaring them in the process.
“Okay’ then’ we’ll walk. It’s not too far away.” Rainbow walked forward in the direction toward Ponyville; Helpful and Fluttershy followed behind her. After some time of walking through bridges and dragging Fluttershy along the way, Helpful thought about when Fluttershy and Spike followed him deeper into the Ursa’s Lair’ even though he thought he told them to leave the cavern for their safety, to find Dashie; who was lost in there. The questions kept harassing him to the point of curiosity; finally it got the best of him. “U-Uh’… Fluttershy?” Helpful stuttered unwillingly. “I have a-a question.” Fluttershy turns her gaze to Helpful; curious; that made Helpful a little more uneasy for him to speak to her.
“Yes, Helpful?” Fluttershy asked him.
“Uh’ while we were still inside the cave back there; I told you and Spike to go back to Ponyville so you could be safe, but, when I thought you did, you followed me anyways.” Helpful explained to the shy Pegasus. “I just wanna know why.” Fluttershy looked a little hesitant after Helpful asked her that question, but, before she could answer, Rainbow, ahead of them, shouted toward them.
“Hey, guys!” Dash shouted. “I found Zecora’s place.” Helpful and Fluttershy ran up to Dashie, and found a home within a strange tree. Around it had many strange, scary, and yet colorful masks; there was a light inside the tree coming out of the windows. To Helpful’ it meant somepony was inside there. Through the light he could see many bottles on shelves and a table. “This is Zecora’s, Helpful.” Dash explained to Helpful. “She’s a friend from another far off land. You should meet her. At first you might find her strange, but she’s really a great gal. Don’t worry if you don’t understand her; it happens all the time to us.” Helpful smiled a little excited.
“Okay’ then’ Dash.” Helpful replied. Rainbow, Helpful, Fluttershy, and Spike enter the house. Inside’ Helpful saw shelf’s of bottles, like the ones he saw outside earlier, a table topped with mixing bowls and other tools for mixing, there was a bed topped with silks, and finally at the center of the room was a cauldron boiling, and what stood next to it was a zebra with golden rings around her neck up to her head, there were also gold rings that covered her forelegs. An earring of gold was clipped to her ear; finally her Cutie Mark was a black spiral. As they came in’ Fluttershy and Dashie were the first to greet her. “Hey, Zecora!” They greeted. Zecora smiled as they all came in.
“Hello’ my good friends; I was just tying some loose ends.” Zecora greeted back in an odd rhyming vocabulary, and then she noticed Helpful and walked right up to him close; making the tan Pegasus feel uncomfortable. “Just who do we have here; what is your name my dear?” Helpful backed up and smiled uncomfortably
“What’s wrong?” Fluttershy asked Helpful.
“Oh, uh, nothing, Fluttershy.” Helpful answered clearing his troat. “My name’s Helpful the Selfless.” Zecora then pulled out a hair from Helpful’s mane; hurting him. “Ow!” She then took the hair to a mixing bowl and added some strange herbs into the bowl and then crushed them togeter with a masher. Helpful looked questionably at Spike; Spike shrugged. Then the zebra took the mixture; blew out the candles, and then threw the mixture between her and her friends; spooking them. “What’s that all about, Ze-?” Dash’s question was stopped by the smoke rising out from the mixture pile; it made different colors and shapes as it raised, and then it all stopped in mid-air. The smoke then made a shape of a baby colt wrapped in swaddling cloths and extending from it was six beams of light. “What is this?” Helpful asked.
“That is simply the mixture that tells us your life.” Zecora explained not rhyming this time. “This symbol only explains a small part of your past. It says that you were born specail in an old, forgotten, but yet proud family.” The smoke again shifted to another form; almost making Spike sneeze. It looked like a compass, but the arrow spun in different directions, and the abbreviations for north, south, east, and west were gone. “Now, this tells us about your present life. It says that you have somehow forgotten your past and cannot find your way anymore and your Cutie Mark is gone.” Helpful was surprised to find the mixture so precise. Then the mixture shifted again, but, before they could make out the new image, Spike accidently sneezes fire; blowing the smoke away and lighting the candles again. Once he stopped’ Zecora was singed black with soot; she shot an awfully annoyed look at Spike. Spike smiled uncomfortably back at Zecora. “S-Sorry.” Spike apoligized. Zecora wiped off the black soot with a washcloth.
“It is alright ‘Spike; though we won’t know what Helpful’s future is like.” Zecora started stating rhymes again. Rainbow looked confused.
“What do you mean ‘we won’t know what Helpful’s future is like’?” Dash asked the zebra.
“I have ran out of a herb called Nature’s Glass, and the season for it to be harvested has made it’s pass.”
“Oh.” Helpful said, looking like he understood what Zecora explained, but then made a confused look. “Huh?” Fluttershy, Spike, Dashie, and Zecora all laughed at the confused stallion. Soon the five friends stood outside at Zecora’s front door ready to be on their way. “Thanks for teaching me about your hometown’s traditions and all that stuff.” Helpful said to Zecora. The zebra smiled at the tan Pegasus.
“Your welcome’ Helpful; I know what I taught you was quite an earful.” Zecora replied cheerfully. “I hope you’ll remember all your past, and your Cutie Mark really fast.”
“Heh, heh’ thanks.” Dash looked around behind the four others to find the not very well marked path back to Ponyville. “Ah!” She spotted the path not too far off from them; now it won’t be long to get there. The light blue Pegasus then turned around back to her friends. “Hey, guys, I found the path back to Ponyville!” Dashie announced excitedly. “If we move now we’ll make it in time before Sugar Cube Corner is backed up on service again.” Spike climbed on top of Helpful’s back again.
“Come on’ Helpful.” Spike told his friend. “Let’s get there before the service back up so I can have those goodies I wanted.” Helpful laughed at the purple dragon.
“Alright’ Spike.” Helpful replied. “Good bye’ Zecora. See you again.”
“So long’ my good friends; if you’ll excuse me I have to tie some loose ends.” Zecora went back into her home and closed her door. Helpful and his friends left Zecora’s home toward Ponyville.
Meanwhile, on the other side of Everfree forest, Twilight, Applejack, Big Macintosh, Granny Smith, and Applebloom find a small pond with a towering waterfall above it. Twilight reads her map she held with her magic, and then she looked up toward the waterfall. She folded her map and sighed; annoyed. “Where’s this entrance to the Endless Crevice anyway, Twilight?” Applejack asked Twilight, but, before Twilight could answer, Granny Smith stepped in-between them sniffing the ground, then she scoped some dirt and put it into a jar and shook it violently, and then she looked into it from the bottom. “Yep, just as I thought.” Granny Smith thought out loud. Applejack looked curious.
“What is it’ Granny Smith?” Applejack asked. Granny Smith pulled out a tan feather and a purple dragon scale, and threw the jar of dirt behind her; hitting Applebloom on the head.
“Ouch!” Applebloom exclaimed in pain as she rubbed her sore noggin. Granny Smith shows them to Twilight and Applejack.
“Do you recognize this feather and dragon scale?” Granny Smith asked both Twilight and Applejack.
“Uh’ yeah. It kinda does look familiar.” Applejack answered. “If I didn’t know better, I’d say that dragon scale looks like Spike’s and that feather looks like Helpful’s.”
“Then that means that Helpful and Spike are alive,” Twilight gasped. “And they went through here maybe not too long ago.” Applejack looked around.
“Well, if that’s true, which way did they go?” The group went into silent thought; Applebloom, on the other hand, found hoofprints under where she stood and followed them into Big Mac. “Ugh!” Applebloom exclaimed when she walked into her older brother; grabbing Applejack’s attention.
“Big Mac, Applebloom, find anything yet?” Applejack asked her older and younger siblilings. Applebloom smiled big.
“I found something! I found something!” Applebloom shouted jumping up and down excitedly. Twilight walked over to see what was going on.
“Okay’ well ‘ what did you find?” Twilight giggled.
“I found these hoofprints right here.” Applebloom pointed at the hoofprints in the ground. Twilight examined the hoofprints. There were at least three ponies walking through here. If Helpful was here, who were the other two ponies that was with him and Spike? Their only answer was to follow the tracks. “Well, these tracks here could be Helpful’s, but the other two: I don’t know.” Twilight explained.
“Then we’ll just follow them to find out.” Applejack replied as she followed the hoofprints. “Come on’ guys.” The rest of the group followed Applejack deeper into Everfree Forest.
Meanwhile, at the edge of Everfree Forest, Helpful, Spike, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash finally leave the dark, unforgiving woods and see the gratifying sight of Ponyville. Spike jumped off of Helpful’s back excited. “Come on’ guys!” Spike beckoned them to follow; he ran at full speed toward Ponyville. Helpful laughed with delight and ran after the baby dragon. Rainbow Dash raises an eyebrow and looked at Fluttershy; she looked like she enjoyed watching Helpful and Spike joking around. Dashie smiled at Fluttershy like she was up to no good. “What are you lookin at, Fluttershy?” Dash asked the shy Pegasus. Fluttershy, realizing that Rainbow might be finding out her feelings about Helpful, looked away from him.
“I’m staring at those pretty flowers over there.” Fluttershy pretended.
“No, you weren’t.” Dash protested. “If I didn’t know any better, you were watching Helpful.” Fluttershy started to blush, but she kept it hidden from Rainbow so she wouldn’t notice.
“I… have no idea what you’re talking about.”
“Mm-hmm.”
“Wh-what’re we waiting for?” Fluttershy quickly walked ahead of Dashie. “Let’s get to Sugar Cube Corner before it backs up on service.” Rainbow rolled her eyes and followed the others into Ponyville. Once there, Helpful looked around side to side searching for Spike; who ran too far out in front of him. “Spiiiike!” Helpful shouted for his friend. “Where are you? Spike!” Spike landed on Helpful’s back; scaring him in the process. Spike laughed as Helpful freaked out. Helpful smiled at Spike delighted to see him again. “Okay, you’re in a good mood now.” Helpful remarked.
“I’m just glad that we’re out of that Everfree Forest safe and sound.” Spike explained. “Anyway, Sugar Cube Corner isn’t too far from here.” Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy catch up to Helpful and Spike.
“There you are.” Dash told them. “We thought we lost you. Anyways, follow us; we’ll lead you to Sugar Cube Corner.” Helpful and Spike followed Dashie and Fluttershy to the so-called Sugar Cube Corner. They stopped at the front door and Helpful and Spike turned to Dash and Fluttershy behind them; they were about say ‘so long’. “Okay’ well’ this is as far as we go, Spike and Helpful.” Rainbow explained. “We have other things to do anyway.” Fluttershy nodded her head.
“Good bye, Helpful.” Fluttershy said with a smile.
“Yeah, I’ll see ya later, guys.”
“Okay, then bye, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash.” Helpful waved to his friends as they left.
“Yeah, see ya!” Spike shouted after to two mares as they walked out of sight. Helpful made a more clearer look at the Sugar Cube Corner. It was tall for two floors, and looked like it was made out of gingerbread. A very comforting sight to Helpful. Spike opens the door and Helpful followed the dragon inside. It was different inside than out, the room had glass cases everywhere filled with small goodies and treats. There was a red carpet on the floor and a record player stood not too far from them. Some stairs lead to the higher rooms; a couple of saloon doors lead into the kitchen. “Wow, this place has a lot of stuff to buy.” Helpful spoke aloud.
“Yeah, it’s got a lot of stuff alright. The Cakes own this place and they have all sorts of parties.” Spike explained; he rang, what seemed to Helpful, some sort of bell. Nothing happened. Spike looked around confused.
“Odd, this isn’t what’s supposed to happen.”
“What’s supposed to happen?” Before Spike could answer, they heard loud racket from the kitchen which made the whole building shake somewhat; then they could hear voices from the kitchen.
“Honey, he’s at it again!” A mare’s voice shouted.
“I-I got him!” A stallions voice answered. Then a baby Pegasus colt flew out the kitchen. It had a brown mane and eyes along with a cream coat. The colt landed softly if front of Spike and Helpful and reached out to Helpful, as if it wanted a hug. An Earth Pony stallion walked out the kitchen and stopped for a breath for he was chasing the colt; he was orange coated and maned. He wore an apron and hat. His Cutie Mark was a cake. Helpful smiled and rubbed the young colt’s head. “Hey, there little guy.” Helpful greeted warmly. “What’s your name?” The stallion smiled and walked toward Helpful and Spike.
“His name is Pound Cake.” The stallion explained. “He seems to like you, sir.” Then a light blue flash of light appeared behind Helpful, he looked back to find a orange coated and maned baby unicorn filly chewing on his wing. The orange stallion laughed. “And that’s Pumpkin Cake. She likes you too.” Spike almost laughed at Helpful getting his wing chewed off. The Earth Pony walked around Helpful and gently pulled Pumpkin loose from Helpful’s wing. “Now, now, Pumpkin, we don’t chew on our guests.”
“Helpful, this is Mr. Cake.” Spike introduced the Earth Pony. “Mr. Cake, this is Helpful the Selfless.”
“So you’re Helpful the Selfless, huh?” Mr. Cake asked with delight. “We’ve been expecting you.”
“Y-You were?” Helpful asked a little surprised.
“Yeah, we were told by Pinkie Pie about you coming here to help with some tasks.” Spike gave a confused look toward Mr. Cake.
“Pinkie Pie?” Spike asked surprised and confused toward Mr. Cake. “We didn’t tell her about Helpful coming to Ponyville.”
“She told us she overheard you and Twilight talking about that as you left your home.” Mr. Cake explained. “Why she told us I don’t know, but, before we could ask, she ran off, looking for you… we believed.”
“Yeah, that sounds like Pinkie Pie.” Pound Cake walked into Helpful, playfully pushing him a little. Helpful pretended to be scared and weak, just for the baby’s entertainment.
“Oh no! You got me!” Helpful pretended. “Help, somepony, help me! Pound Cake’s got me!” Pound Cake laughed and pushed Helpful’s leg again and he fell on the floor still pretending. Pound Cake jumped on top of Helpful and jumped on him. Pumpkin Cake got excited because of this and crawled out of Mr. Cake’s arms and joined her brother. Spike gave Mr. Cake a questioning look. “You’re just gonna let them jump on Helpful?”
“Oh, let them.” Mr. Cake answered. “They haven’t had any fun since Pinkie left.” Soon, after playing with the Baby Cakes, Helpful, Spike, and Mr. Cake walk into the kitchen surprised to find the room covered top to bottom with party decorations. A dull blue mare noticed them come in and smiled welcomingly. “Hello, Dears. Did you get Pound Cake, Honey?” The mare asked Mr. Cake.
“I sure did, Hon.” Mr. Cake answered. “Let me introduce you to Helpful the Selfless.” Mr. Cake pointed to Helpful. “Helpful, this is Cup Cake, my wife.” Cup Cake smiled warmly.
“You can just call me Mrs. Cake, Helpful.” Then, behind Helpful, a pink coated and maned mare appears from behind a blue balloon, without the others noticing.
“Surprise!” The mare shouted at the top of her lungs scaring everypony, they all watch as the mare falls from the balloon face-first into the floor. Helpful noticed that the pink mare had blue eyes and three balloons for a Cutie Mark. Again, another familiar Cutie Mark, that is a total of five familiar Cutie Marks. What do these mean? “Uh, Pinkie Pie?” Spike asked as the mare stood up. “What are you doing?” Pinkie gave Spike a confused look.
“What do you mean ‘what are you doing’?” Pinkie teased Spike. “I’m hosting a party, duh.” Pinkie ran up to Helpful into his face, excited. “You must be the new pony in Ponyville!” Pinkie dramatically gasped. “I overheard Spike and Twilight talking about you and I was like,” She dramatically gasped again. “So I went all over Ponyville searching for you, and then I found you and Spike entering Sugar Cube Corner. So then I came up with an idea to make a party for your visit to Ponyville and I was like: ‘totally, yeah’! Now, here I am decorating the party and explaining to you how I got here.” Pinkie finished with a huge smile that could be considered a mirror. Helpful looked at Pinkie surprised on how she could explain to him so quickly in three breaths of air. Pinkie tossed a long list of ponies’ names on top of Helpful, who looked through the list surprised. “I’ve invited millions of ponies in Ponyville to this party! It’s gonna be like Roxy’s housewarming party!” Pinkie explained to Helpful. “That one was crazy fun!” Spike picked up the list and started to read it out loud.
“’Rose, Daisy, Hayseed, Luc-‘, hey!” Before Spike could finish reading the list, Pinkie rolled it up.
“I’m sorry, Spike. Did you say something?” Spike growled at her annoyed, then Mrs. Cake spoke up.
“We’re sorry, Helpful.” Mrs. Cake apoligized to the tan Pegasus. “When Pinkie Pie gets in the mood for a party there’s no stopping her.” Pinkie then walked in-between the Cakes, Helpful, and Spike with a stake of records on her back into the kitchen.
“Excuse me.” The pink Earth Pony said as she walked though, and then she tapped on Helpful’s shoulder on the other side beside him; scaring him in the process. “I don’t think we were properly introduced. I’m Pinkie Pie, and you are?”
“H-Helpful.” Helpful answered stutteringly. “How did you…?”
“How did I what?”
“You just walked through here just a second ago, and then you appeared right beside me the next. How’d you do that?”
“Oh, that. Lots and lots of practice.” Mr. Cake then gave an uneasy look.
“Uh, Pinkie Pie, Helpful’s not here for a party.” Mr. Cake uncomfortably told Pinkie, who gasped dramaticly.
“He’s not?” Pinkie asked with a shocked look.
“No, he’s not.” Mrs. Cake explained. “He’s only here to taste some new recipes.” Pinkie then smiled without concern.
“Oh, okay then! That’s fine!” Pinkie Pie giggled, she then turned to Helpful. “Don’t worry, Helpful. I’ll just postpone the party some other time.” Helpful gulped. “Hope you enjoy your visit my friend!”
Meanwhile, in Everfree forest, Twilight and the rest of her search party find themselves at entrance of the Ursa’s Lair. Applebloom looked pretty nervous. “Y-You think that Helpful and Spike are in t-there?” Applejack checked the hoofprints below her and yes they lead straight into the damp caverns. “Well, if I’m reading these right, and I know I am, they went straight into the Ursa’s Lair.” Then Applejack noticed that the tracks looked like they ran out of the cave. “Hold on here.” Applejack said stopping the others from going in.
“What is it, Applejack?” Twilight asked curious.
“Now they’re running away from the cave.”
“What does it mean?”
“It means that Helpful, Spike, and whoever’s with ‘em woke up an Ursa Major and almost got eatin’.” Granny Smith answered Twilight’s question before Applejack. “They were lucky to get out before the Ursa got ‘em, and no doubt they headin’ to Ponyville now.” Applejack seemed confused.
“Now, uh, Granny Smith, how do you know that? They could be still lost in Everfree Forest for all we know.” Applejack protested. Granny Smith shot her a sharp look. “Applejack, who told ya how to track when you were younger?” Applejack thought about that question for a few seconds.
“I don’t know. Can’t seem to remember right now.”
“Well’ how can you not remember?? It was Big Macintosh, your brother!”
“Eeyep.” Big Mac agreed with Granny Smith.
“And who taught you how to track Big Mac?”
“You did Granny Smith.”
“Exactly!” Applejack, annoyed by being corrected by Granny, stopped the discussion.
“Now, come on!” Applejack ordered. “We better find Helpful and Spike wherever they are.” The group started to leave the cave, but Twilight stopped Applejack for a second.
“Wait. Shouldn’t we check the cave for clues?” Twilight asked Applejack, who didn’t think it as a bad idea at all.
“That’s a mighty fine idea there, Twilight.” Applejack agreed, but, before she could make the order for a search, a rumbling roar busted form the cave, blowing them all away. Once it stopped, Applejack popped her head from the bushes. “Not a good idea! Not a good idea!!” Applejack reasoned. “Let’s go before that Ursa gets out of there!” The rest of the group popped out of the bushes beside Applejack.
“Right!” Everypony agreed with Applejack and they sped off without a trace. Meanwhile, in Sugar Cube Corner, Helpful bites into the last treat for tasting. It tasted sour at first, but it quickly shifted to a sweet taste. “It’s sour at first…, but then it turns sweet.” Helpful explained. “I say ‘it’s today’s special’, if you ask me.” Mrs. Cake smiled with delight.
“Spike! Put the Sour Sweet Swervy Split for today’s special!” Mrs. Cake shouted to Spike, who stood beside the menu.
“The Sour Sweet Swervy Split for today’s special.” Spike repeated as he wrote on the menu. “Got it!” Helpful looked around to see Pinkie Pie eating the treat he just now tasted in one bite. She smiled at him, but then her face immediatly winced because of the sourness of the cupcake. “Too… sour.” Pinkie said as she slowly fell to the floor twitching.
“Well, Helpful, that’s all for today.” Mr. Cake told Helpful. “I’m sure you have more things to do today. So good bye.” Mr. Cake escorted Helpful and Spike to the front door, then Pinkie jumped off the floor disappointed.
“Aw, can’t Helpful and Spike stay for a little longer?” Pinkie asked disappointed.
“Sorry, Pinkie, but we have things to do.” Helpful explained. “No hard feelings, right?”
“What are talking about? Of coarse no hard feelings! We’re best friends!” There was another best friend. Helpful was delighted to have Pinkie Pie as a best friend, her energy and happiness made him feel like he knew her for eons. “Okay, well, bye!” Pinkie waved as Helpful and Spike left Sugar Cube Corner. Walking through Pony Square, Helpful pulled out his list and read aloud the last part. “’Go to Twi-‘ whoa!” Helpful tripped over a white cat and fell in the mud. He looked up to see the list fall on the other side of the mud hole untouched. Spike sighed of relief. “Well, that’s a relief.” Spike said, then behind the dirty Helpful and Spike, a mare’s voice, that Spike couldn’t forget no matter what, spoke out. “Are you alright, sir?” The voice asked, Helpful turned around to see a white unicorn mare with a dark purple, curly mane. Her Cutie Mark was familiar to him because it was three diamonds. She had blue eyes like Pinkie Pie, but a bit darker. “Oh, I’m fine.” Helpful answered.
“Are you sure?” The mare continued to ask. “After all, it was my cat that tripped you over.” She turned her attention to the white cat Helpful tripped on. She gave it a cross look. “Bad Opal! Go inside and think about what you’ve done.” Opal walked away glaring at the white mare coldly. She turned her gaze back to Helpful and is shocked to find him totally covered head to hoof in mud. “Oh my stars… you look dreadful! I simply cannot, cannot let a charming stallion like you walk about looking like this. No, sir!” Before Helpful could protest, the white mare pushed him out of the mud. “Come! Come now! We go!” Spike followed the white mare and Helpful in a trance-like state to wherever they were going, then the white mare stopped and grabbed Helpful’s list with her magic. “Can’t forget you now can we?” The white mare pushed Helpful away from the mud and who knows where next.