• Published 7th Sep 2011
  • 20,169 Views, 850 Comments

New Beginnings - Black Alicorn



A young human super-soldier crash-lands on Equestria. Now, he must leave behind his dark, dark past and embrace this new chance at life, this new beginning. More so, he must now protect it when an ancient evil returns to plague Equestria once more!

  • ...
70
 850
 20,169

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 33: Losing it

2 weeks later...

Things were getting out of hand. The nightmares were getting worse each day. HE was getting worse each day. A fine line separated from him and insanity. He came close to ending up in a mental home before. Hell, nearly every time he was on leave they would have a shrink work on him for a day or two. After the incident with Dr. Rourke they finally got the message. But he never came this close. At least four nights a week he would wake up screaming. The days weren't much better either. Everywhere he went he saw shadows, faces, and blood red eyes. Whenever he looked at somepony smiling, he swore he could see their teeth turning into blood stained fangs while their red eyes stared right through him. He was losing it, and he knew it.
Suprisingly, he woke up normally one morning. The best sleep he had in two weeks. He yawned as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. A sweet, pleasing scent filled the air his nostrils sucked in. He couldn't tell what it was, but damn it smelled good. He let off another loud yawn. Hoofsteps, coming from the kitchen. A familiar face came out of the doorway, soothing smile plastered on her face.
"Morning sleepyhead."
He didn't answer right away, he just let out yet another yawn.
"Morning."
"Sleep good?"
"Suprisingly, yes..."
"You hungry?"
His stomach growled in response.
"Do you need an answer?"
Her eyes rolled at his usual, sarcastic manner. His mind drifted back to that sweet smell...
"What's for breakfast?"
"Oh, I'm making a side of waffles." She smiled, beaming with pride.
His heart sank immediately. He knew it smelled good, but Twilight had a history with cooking...
"Uh...are you sure that's a good idea?"
"Relax, I followed the book's instructions to the letter."
"What book?"
Her horn glowed, and a big brown leather bound book floated out of the kitchen.
'Cooking made easy' The title read.
"I guess it doesn't matter, I'm hungry enough to eat anything...even your cooking."
A pillow that was next to him suddenly met him in the face. Twilight walked back into the kitchen triumphantly, her head held high as she smiled. She burst into laughter as she moved deeper into the kitchen. He followed her.
The table was already set, and the smell was even better in here. All of a sudden, his skin felt strange...
"That's weird..."
"What is?"
"I feel...funny."
"Define 'funny'."
"My skin just feels....weird, i don't know how to describe it."
"Has anything unusual happened? Any contact with strange plants, minerals?"
"No, noth-"
Then it hit him.
"My armor..."
"What about your armor?"
"I've never been out of it so long..."
"Maybe you're just readjusting to a normal enviroment..."
"I guess so."
He sat at the table and grabbed the two bottles there. One was chocolate syrup, the other vanilla cream.
"I'm telling you, I can't go on like this...These nightmares, the hallucinations...everything..."
"Morning Mom!"
Nyx came into the room with a huge smile on her face. She was in a good mood.
"Morning Wolf!"
He just grumbled a 'morning' in reply. He was frustrated.
"I think most of all though, it's that I don't have anything to do..."
Twilight and Nyx just continued their morning chat, in which Spike had joined in as well.
"The combination of everything is gonna make me lose it, go crazy..."
All of a sudden, he lifted the bottles in the air, turned them upside down, squeezed them and moved his hands around.
"...Nuts...Insane...Bonzo..."
All three of them had turned around to see his teethe gritting and his arms moving with increase intensity. It was getting a bit creepy. He continued...
"...No longer in possesion of one's faculties, three bullets short of a full mag..."
All of a sudden, he lifted the plate in the air and while they were still processing the image of the smiling face he drew with the two bottles, he screamed extremely loudly:
"WAACKO!!!!"
The awkward silence in the room while they simply stared at him was broken only by his heavy breathing.
"What? Why are you looking at me like I'm crazy or something?"
They just exchanged quick glances between each other, and Twilight replied:
"Nothing..."
Wolf got up out of the chair and moved for the door.
"All of a sudden I've lost my appetite..."
As he grabbed the handle of the door, he said one final thing before leaving.
"I'll be back..."
After he slammed the door, Twilights eyes rolled, and then she focused on the task at hand. Preparing her daughter for another day at school. And that would start by getting breakfast ready. And so she set out to finish what she started.

6 minutes later, Red Dawn.

The air hissed as the magnetic locks on the outside hatch disengaged and allowed the door to open. An electronic voice rang in the air.
"Welcome back sir. Is there something you need?"
"Yeah...very much..."
"Do you require assistance in locating it?"
"No thanks Sam...I can do it myself."
"Yes sir."
He walked off into the long metal corridor and turned into another room with a large red cross on it. He entered and immediately opened up a cabinet. He quickly skimmed through the bottles inside, until he found the one he was looking for. He quickly unscrewed the cap and poured at least a half a dozen pills into his hand. He quickly downed them, hoping the effects would be quick.
"Sir, is that wise?"
"Sam...you know that I'm against these kind of meds."
"Yes, of course sir."
"Then I believe that you realize the magnitude of the situation I'm in for me to use them."
"Affirmative sir..."
Having found what he was looking for, he quickly left the ship.


4 minutes later, Ponyville.

Wolf was feeling a bit lightheaded. He immediately realized that those were too many pills, even for him. His eyes fell upon an all too familiar scene. Sweetie Belle arguing with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. This was the final straw. All of a sudden a jolt to his head shocked him.

- - - - -
Kill her...
- - - - -
He knew not to give in to voices only he heard, but the sheer force of the voice, combined with his weakened state, led him to obey.

Diamond Tiara was happy with her apparent victory, as well as the fact that she had gotten away with it.
"That's it!"
Or so she thought. Terrified, she turned to face the source of the booming voice.
"I let you off with a warning the first time, hell I even let you go a second time, but that's it. No third chances!"
His pace quickened as his entire body prepared for action. Instincts kicking in, Diamond Tiara turned tail and ran. He followed closely behind.
"Come here!"
Diamond Tiara ran as fast as she could through town, dodging everything in her path. She ran until she came across a familliar face.
"Daddy!"
She ran up to him and jumped behind him. Filthy Rich turned to get a look at what had frightened his daughter so much.
Wolf walked into the corner, itching for a fight. He saw her hiding behind her fathers leg. He ignored his presence there completely and advanced. Instinctively, Filthy Rich got in his way.
"Get out of my way. This doesn't concern you."
"It's my daughter. Of course it concerns me."
"I'll try again. Out of the way."
"NO."
"Don't take a hint eh? Well, no third chances...Guess I'll have to take you as well."
As he prepared for battle, Filthy Rich reared up on his hind legs and tried to hit him in the head with his hooves. He lunged forward at Wolf. He, in turn, nimbly dodged the approaching hooves and tackled Filthy Rich to the ground. Using his knees, he pinned Filthy's hind leg to the ground while his left arm punched him square in the face while his right gripped his throat. His left reached side of his left leg and pulled out the pistol from it's holster. He positioned it right on top of Flithy's face while he whimpered, terrified of what would happen. Wolf tensed up all of a sudden and his breathing became heavier. The adrenaline had gotten to his head and canceled out most of the medicine's effects.

- - - - -
"Do it! Now!"
- - - - -
His finger slowly began to squeeze the trigger. Then he heard it.
"WOLF!!"
He knew that voice all too well. He sighed, dissapointed, and in a defeated tone told him:
"Saved by the bell..."
He got up off him and walked off to meet Twilight. By that time, a sizeable crowd had assembled around them, now scared as they were reminded of his skill to kill. Filthy Rich went from afraid to embarrased in no time flat. His public image would suffer for this defeat. Unless he could turn it around...His opponent had left his rear exposed, and he had just threatened his daughter as well! He would get his revenge for this.
Filthy Rich shot up from his position and as quietly as he could, galloped towards Wolf, got within range, and turned around to attempt to buck him in the head. Wolf snapped back immediately and his right hand collided with Filthy's right hind leg in midair. The force of the blow was strong enough it lifted Filthy Rich off the ground and turned him around midair. Time seemed to slow down for him, and he watched in horror as Wolf's left arm followed his right. A horroble pain cut through him as Wolf's fist collided with his face, sending him flying into a nearby empty cart. The cart shattered with a loud crash as Filthy Rich crushed it with the weight of his own body and the force that was driving him. He lost consciousness nearly immediately after the blow from Wolf, and now the terrified crowd had assembled around him trying to help him. Before he left, with the corner of his eye Wolf saw a trickle of blood emerging from under a few pieces of wood. Twilight stood there with her jaw wide open. Her head snapped to Nyx immediately, who was standing next to her, still processing the horrible scene she just saw.
"Go to school."
"But Mom..."
"No buts, just go!"
She obeyed her mother, and got on her way. Twilight turned to face Wolf. He was heading in the direction of the library. She followed him. By the time she caught up with him though, he had already reached it. He left the door open, he knew she was coming. She entered the library, and her horn glowed bright purple. Almost immediately, the door behind her slammed shut, the windows closed immediately and locked. She looked at him leaning on the wall and gazing out of one of the closed windows.
"WHAT THE HAY WAS THAT?!"
He didn't answer, he just gazed out the window.
"WHY DID YOU DO THAT?! YOU COULD HAVE KILLED HIM!!"
"In case you didn't know, that's what I was trying to do..."
"WHY?! WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT?! YOU'RE NOT LIKE THIS!!"
All of a sudden he stood up and gave her a look that could kill.
"Don't you pretend to know me, 'cause you don't! You got that?! Next time don't get involved, 'cause you might get caught in the crossfire!"
"OH SPARE ME THE TALK, THE ONLY THING YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IS KILL AND HURT!"
"Oh yeah? Well if it wasn't for me abillity to kill, guess what! You'd all be dead three times over!"
"Shut up, just shut up and get out!"
"Oh yeah? FINE!"
"FINE!"
He huffed and grabbed everything he had brought in, mumbling as he was walking out the door.
"I don't need this bullshit..."
A clap of thunder shook the tree. Wolf ignored it and slammed the door behind him, a sack of equipment hanging on his shoulder. Immediately, the rain began to fall. Twilight looked out the window at him leaving, and collapsed crying to the floor, under the windowsill. As Wolf reached thirty feet away from the library, he turned around, sighed as he looked on it, and moved on.

Deep within Everfree forest...
"How did it go this time my Lord?"
"Although it didn't have the desired effect, I still made progress."
The snyde Unicorn looked up at the gray sky above, an evil grin appearing on his face.
"I'm breaking him..."

End Chapter 32.

PreviousChapters Next