• Published 7th Sep 2011
  • 20,143 Views, 850 Comments

New Beginnings - Black Alicorn



A young human super-soldier crash-lands on Equestria. Now, he must leave behind his dark, dark past and embrace this new chance at life, this new beginning. More so, he must now protect it when an ancient evil returns to plague Equestria once more!

  • ...
70
 850
 20,143

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 22: "For Nyx..."

Nyx awoke with a gasp. She looked around her. She was in the hospital. Various injured ponies lie in their beds, the hospital staff examining them. She looked to her right and there he was, arms and legs crossed, and his head down. It looked like he fell asleep in the chair.
"Oh, you're awake."
Nyx nearly jumped out of the bed. She turned around to be greeted by Nurse Redheart's caring eyes.
"Sleep good?"
"Y-Yes..."
"Are you feeling alright? Is there anything I can get you?"
"I'd like to see my Mom..."
"Of course." She replied with a smile.
She was about to walk away when Wolf caught her eye. She chuckled a bit at the sight of the sleeping human.
"Looks like sleep finally caught up to him."
"What do you mean?"
"He hasn't left your side a minute, not since it happened."
"Since what happened?"
Nurse Redheart suddenly got a bit too nervous. How would she explain to Nyx that she was attacked?
"Oh...You don't remember?"
"No..."
"Well, I guess I'd better fill you in..."
She sat at the side of the bed, right next to Nyx.
"A week ago, you were attacked. No one knows by who, but it doesn't really matter right now. You were hurt pretty badly..."
Nyx's head fell to the sheets. Tears formed in her eyes.
"...And Wolf was right beside you every minute of every day, not getting out of that chair for anything."
Nyx looked back up to Nurse Redheart, hanging on her every word.
"Nopony except me and your mother ever got close to your bed. He made sure of that."
A smile appeared on Nyx's face.
"He probably fell asleep an hour ago or something. He went a week straight without sleeping."
Nurse Redheart got off the bed.
"Anyway, I'll go get your mother."
Nyx didn't answer. She just fell back into her pillow, with a smile up to her ears.

43 minutes later...
Twilight burst into the hospital, nearly knocking several ponies over. Reaching Nyx, that was all that mattered to her. She galloped through the doors to the hospital wing where Nyx was. Her gaze fixed on a bed, she reached it in seconds. She scooped up Nyx in her forehooves and hugged her as tightly as she could without hurting her. Nyx responded in kind. They both just laid down on the bed, holding each other tightly. Tears were flowing freely from their eyes, and Nyx whispered into Twilight's ear.
"I missed you..."
Twilight brought her head in closer to Nyx.
"I missed you too..."
A few minutes later, and they finally separated. Twilight stood over Nyx's bed, tears still dripping from her cheeks. She then looked over the bed, and saw Wolf snoozing in his chair. She walked over to him. She then leaned closer to his head, and gently kissed his cheek.
"Thank you..." She whispered to him.
She trotted back to Nyx. Wolf stretched out his arms. He shot out of the chair as he woke up, realising that he just fell asleep. He turned to Nyx, ready for anything. He was relieved to see her awake, with Twilight standing at her side.
"You're awake..."
He yawned. It was the first time they ever saw him do that. He noticed the suprised looks that they were giving him.
"What? I've been awake for a week, what do you expect?"
"For you to wake up in a couple of days or so." Nurse Redheart chimed in, followed by a chuckle from Twilight and Nyx.
"Her leg has healed well, I'd say you can take her home."
Wolf turned to Twilight.
"You two go on first, I have to take care of something first..."
"What do you need to take care of?"
"You'll find out soon enough."
And with that, Wolf left the hospital.
"What is he up to?" Twilight asked herself out loud.
"Probably looking for another way to get killed." Nurse Redheart responded, resulting in a laugh from both of them.
"I hope not..." Twilight said to herself as her head dropped a bit...

* * * * *
Wolf was walking through Ponyville, the crowd fixing it's eyes upon him. Some were amazed to see him still alive after a month in Everfree forest, others branded him as a murderer after he killed the assassins that attacked him and nearly killed Nyx in the process. Something familiar caught his eye. A little pink filly alongside a grey one, facing down a white unicorn filly. Wolf approached, making use of his stealth training to approach them without them ever knowing he was there. He ducked behind a low wall and listened in...

"Oh look, it's the blank flank."
Sweetie Belle just tried to walk away from them.
"Look at that! The blank flank is trying to run!"
"Stop it Diamond Tiara!"
The snooty little pink filly only laughed at Sweetie Belle.
"Why should I? That freak you call a friend isn't around to help you this time!"
"What do you mean?"
"I mean that he's dead!"
"No he's not! We found him in the forest!"
"Oh, yeah, we believe you."
"We did find him!" Tears began to form in Sweetie Belle's eyes.
"No you didn't! You can't find anyone in Everfree! He probably became a Manticore's lunch." Diamond Tiara laughed as she realised she could say whatever she wanted about Sweetie Belle with no consequences whatsoever.
"Is that right?"
Her hopes came crashing down as she turned around to see him standing right behind her. She gasped.
"This is the second time I've had to warn you. Three strikes and you're out. You got that?"
Diamond Tiara just ran away, followed closely by Silver Spoon.
"I'll take that as a yes." He turned to Sweetie Belle.
"Don't let those two get you down. That's just what they want." After that, he just walked away.

27 minutes later, Ponyville library...
Twilight paced around the library, waiting for Wolf. She looked out the window. It was another beautiful sunset in Equestria. A knock on the door. She opened it, and was greeted by the sight of Wolf carrying a crate on his shoulder. He threw it to the ground with a grunt.
"What's this?"
Wolf didn't answer. Instead he opened it, and pulled out a rifle. Twilights eyes shot open in suprise.
"PDR-64..." He paused and searched through the crate again. He pulled out an even longer rifle.
"SR-8..." He took out a small box from the crate.
"Hundred twenty rounds for this baby..."
Twilight grabbed the PDR-64 with magic and tossed it across the room.
"NOO!!"
Wolf dived after it. He managed to grab it right before he hit the ground.
"You.never. throw. loaded. weapons."
"I'm not letting you turn this place into an armory!"
"And I'm not letting Nyx get hurt again!"
Twilight was about to continue when she heard Wolf's reply. She couldn't say it.
"I brought these here so I can protect her. Protect you. I'm not taking the risk of losing anyone close to me, not again."
"Where are you going to keep them?"
"On me."
"Huh?"
Wolf pulled out a chair from the crate.
"I'm setting up a lookout post on the balcony..." He grabbed a thermal scope and slapped it on the SR-8.
"...Nothing's getting by on my watch."

4 hours 53 minutes later...

A light breeze in the night air cause Wolf to shiver a little. He sat atop the balcony in a chair, his feet up against the railing, his SR-8 held tightly in his arms. He'd frequently scan the area with his thermal scope. He grabbed a glass of water that was sitting on the floor and drank half of it. Soft footsteps could be heard on the wooden floor. He turned around and was greeted by the sight of Nyx standing nervously in the doorway.
"Hey Nyx, what are you doing out here?"
"We can't sleep..."
"Are you afraid?"
"Y-Yes."
"It's okay to be afraid Nyx..."
"I know...It's just..."
Nyx sighed and began to walk back inside.
"It's what?"
Nyx stopped in the middle of the doorway.
"Wolf...Can you sleep with us tonight?"
He nearly fell out of his chair after hearing that.
"I just feel a lot safer knowing you're right there beside me."
"Nyx...I...I don't know..."
"Please?"
Nyx began to tear up. Her bright turquoise eyes glistened in the moonlight. How could Wolf resist those eyes?
Defeated, he sighed, then muttered a single word.
"Fine..."
Nyx darted back into the room happily. Wolf sighed yet again. He searched the area one last time with his thermal scope, then went back into the room. The full moon shone through the window, illuminating the room. Spike was snoozing in his bed, muttering something about Rarity. He looked up to the bed. He could barely see Nyx laying down, she was curled up next to Twilight. He nervously climbed into bed, next to Twilight. He was close to the edge, but he didn't mind. Twilight was awake. He could tell by her breathing. It was too fast for her to be asleep. He was pressed up against her tightly. As if this wasn't bad enough for him, what Nyx said next nearly petrified him.
"Wolf...can you hold me?"
In order to hold Nyx, he would have to reach over Twilight first, and rest his arm around her. He wouldn't have done it, but a single thought sealed his decision. Nyx's eyes glistening in the moonlight. His arm went over Twilight and found Nyx's stomach. He wrapped his arm around her and pulled her closer, squeezing her between Twilight and his arm. Nyx sighed. A few minutes later, and she was fast asleep. Only Twilight and Wolf stayed awake.
"You have your back turned to me and I can still see the smile on your face..."
He was right, Twilight had a smile up to her ears. She was loving every moment of having Wolf pressed up against her, his arm around her.
"Twilight, you know I'm only doing this for Nyx right?"
"Mm-hmh."
Twilight dozed off. Wolf looked up at the moon. He said one final thing before drifting to sleep.
"For Nyx..."

PreviousChapters Next