• Published 7th Sep 2011
  • 20,143 Views, 850 Comments

New Beginnings - Black Alicorn



A young human super-soldier crash-lands on Equestria. Now, he must leave behind his dark, dark past and embrace this new chance at life, this new beginning. More so, he must now protect it when an ancient evil returns to plague Equestria once more!

  • ...
70
 850
 20,143

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 15: After the storm...

Three hours later....

Silence filled the Everfree forest. As if everything had in it had died and left it empty. Only a few points had some activity. A waterfall being one of them. The water fell off the cliff and into the forest below, feeding the river that slid through it's heart like a giant snake. The sound of running water filled Zecora's ears as she approached the river. In her mouth was a large bucket. She plunged her head in, filled the bucket, and as quickly as she entered the cold, clear water, her head was above it again, shaking off as much water as she could from her soaked mane. She started the journey back when something unusual caught her eye. Something washed up on the river bank. She put the bucket down and walked over to it, her ears perked up, and fear growing in her heart. Living in Everfree had taught her to never let her guard down. She approached the object. She had never seen a creature like it before.
She looked down on the unknown being, which she assumed was dead. It's clothing was ripped to pieces, it's shirt was nothing more the a few pieces of wet cloth that was an inch from disintegrating. Further examination revealed a large bruise on it's back, a deep cut on his side, and it's head covered in dried blood. It lay there, motionless, probably dead. It didn't matter to her, she put her ear to what she assumed was it's chest. A soft heartbeat could be heard under the thick muscle. A soft buzzing sound could be heard from the depths of the forest.
“This creature will not survive, for nearby there is a parasprite hive.”
She tried to get her nose under his back. After three failed attempts, she was able to lift it onto her back.
She walked back over to the bucket, looked down on it, and thought about the creatures shallow heartbeat.
“There is no time to waste, for now I must make haste.”
She galloped back into the dense forest as she finished her sentence.

Meanwhile, at Ponyville...

Twilight and Nyx walked into the silent square. Not a soul in sight, she feared the worst after a Parasprite invasion.
“Mom, I'm scared...”
“We'll be okay sweetie...”
They walked further and further, fear growing in their hearts as their eyes scanned frantically for any sign of life.
“He-Hello? Anypony?”
They both froze as Twilight finished her call. No answer for a few minutes. Then...
“Twilight?”
“Fluttershy? Is that you?”
“Oh Twilight, I'm so glad to see you!”
All of a sudden, Fluttershy burst out of a bush and hugged Twilight tightly, tears falling from her face.
“Fluttershy, where is everypony?”
“Um....They're hiding...”
“The parasprites are gone, they can all come out now...”
Upon finishing her sentence, ponies began to come out of every corner of town. From under carts, in barrels, but mostly from their barred up homes.
Within seconds, a crowd had gathered in the square and began to mutter amongst themselves.
“Are they really gone?”
“Should we go back inside?”
“I hope they don't come back...”
“Why did they leave?”
“Who cares, they're gone.”
Twilight shoved her way through the crowd, Nyx following her closely. They got out of the crowd and walked on to the town hall.
“Nyx! You're okay!”
Scootaloo immediately ran over to her friend and hugged her tightly. Applebloom and Sweetie Belle followed her closely, hugging their friend in what could be considered as the second Cutie Mark Crusaders reunion. Applejack and Rarity followed their sisters closely.
“Twilight! Yer okay!”
“Yeah, I'm fine...” She answered quickly, her thoughts drifting to Wolf.
Applejack ran close to Twilight and hugged her, disregarding the dirt and sweat all over her mane and coat. Rarity followed closely, but stopped in her tracks as she realized how dirty Twilight was.
“Oh dear, you need a bath ever so desperately!”
“Rarity, not now. Can you two watch Nyx? I need to talk to the Mayor.”
“Of course dear. We'll keep a close eye on her.”
“Thank you so much Rarity.”
“Anytime dear.”
Twilight departed and made a bee-line for the town hall, her mind racing.
Was Wolf alive? Was he okay? Could he make it back? All those questions were ringing in her head. Without even knowing it, she was walking faster and faster, until she was in a full gallop. She reached the town hall in seconds, adrenaline coursing through her veins, causing her to run as fast as her legs would carry her. She burst through the door and ran up the stairs to the Mayor's office.
She found her sitting down in her chair, her eyes fixed on damage reports that were just coming in.
She shifted her gaze to the lavender unicorn that had just burst into her office.
“Twilight, what can I do for you?”
“Has there been any sign of Wolf?”
“Wasn't he with you?”
“....”
“Twilight?”
“He....He drove them away. He lured them back into Everfree.”
“How long ago?”
“About three hours...”
“Three hours....” She paused, taking a long sigh.
“...It's the Everfree forest, chances are he's dead by now.”
“What did you just say?”
“I said he's probably dead by now.”
“NO!”
Twilight jumped on the desk and pressed her face against the Mayor's.
“He's NOT dead you hear me?!”
“Twilight...”
“We need to look for him! Send somepony into the forest to find him! He could be hurt, or worse...”
“Twilight.... walk with me.”
“What?”
The Mayor got out of her chair, ignoring the mare standing on her deas and walked out of her office. Twilight followed her.
“We need everypony here, in case they come back.”
“But...”
“No buts Twilight. We can't send ponies in there to look for somepony who's probably dead by now.”
“HE'S NOT DEAD! HE SAVED US ALL THREE TIMES! THE LEAST WE CAN DO IS SEND A SEARCH PARTY!”
She fell to the floor crying. The Mayor tried to get her up, but failed to do so. The sound of hoofsteps on the floor.
“What's this about a search party?”
Twilight looked up and saw two Pegasi standing before her. One was gray with a red mane, with a large black stripe right through it's middle. The other was light brown, with a blue mane.
The Mayor looked at the two.
“Backdraft, Zephyr, are you two volunteering for a search party?”
“It depends on who we're looking for.”
“Wolf. The 'human' that crashed here.”
Backdraft was about to say something but was interrupted by Zephyr.
“Ponyville's new hero?”
“Yeah, him.”
“Where is he now?”
“Lost in Everfree.”
Backdraft scoffed.
“He's probably dead by now, but....I guess we all owe him one...”
“Make that three.”
He shot a quick, angered look at Zephyr, then he returned to his normal state.
“We'll take a look around...”
“Thank you....” Twilight muttered...
“When can you start?”
“Right now ma'am.”
With that, both of their wings unfolded from their sides, showing off their feathers and they bolted out of the door.

One hour later, over Everfree forest....

They flew side by side, scanning the ground for any sign of life. They had flown around Everfree for nearly an hour without a trace of Wolf or anything else.
“He's been missing for four hours, what are his chances of surviving?”
“He took on a Diamond Dog army and a Hydra, I think he can hold his own...”
“Maybe...”
“Look, Zeph, I'll do another round of the forest, you go check out that Zebra's hut.”
“Alright, I'll meet you back here.”
“It's a date then.”
They separated immediately. Within a few minutes, Zephyr was above Zecora's hut. He could see something moving towards it. He flew further down, and could see Zecora carrying something on her back. It was Wolf. He recognized him immediately from the other day.
“Hmph.”
He flew off back towards the meeting point. He arrived first, and waited for a few minutes. Backdraft arrived.
“You took your time.”
“Oh shut up. Find anything?”
“Nope. You?”
“Nothing. We should head back now...”
“Agreed.”
“Race you back.”
“Wha-?”
“One two three go!”
Backdraft disappeared from sight, flying full speed towards Ponyville.
“Hey!”
Zephyr hovered for a moment. A sinister smile appeared on his face.
“Fool.”

End chapter 15.

PreviousChapters Next