• Published 30th Dec 2012
  • 4,500 Views, 396 Comments

Combat Magic - totallynotabrony



What does Rarity have in common with a werewolf, a vampire, a tall computer specialist, a psychic reformed redneck, and a foul-mouthed wizard? Well, at the moment they're all human. And saving the world.

  • ...
13
 396
 4,500

Chapter 15

“This is clearly a bigger problem than we thought.” Rarity looked at the rest of them gathered around the table back at the cabin. While she knew that she was stating the obvious, Rarity felt like it needed to be said anyway.

“We weren’t expecting anything like that,” muttered Veronica. “We know that some anti- vampire and werewolf substances exist, although I don’t think we’ve ever seen it used as an aerosol weapon for area denial.”

“It’s scary,” broke in Jenny. “Kind of humbling, too. You get used to the idea of being a big, bad immortal and then something like this comes along that takes you down a peg.”

Bear nodded in agreement, but said nothing.

“What scares the shit out of me is that Mr. Wright was ready,” broke in Morgan. “We didn’t get a chance to toss his hotel room, but I would bet that we would find some sort of advanced detectors, either for magic or nonhuman beings.”

“I’m pretty sure he had blocking charms,” commented Rob. “I didn’t hear anything from his mind.”

“That in itself is pretty powerful magic,” said Morgan. He looked at the psychic. “Believe me, if I could keep you out of my head, I would. Also complicated was the magical negation he used on me. Whoever this guy is, he’s got some of the most powerful supernatural defenses we’ve ever seen.”

“And yet he didn’t attack with magic,” observed Bear. “Everything he had was for protection only.”

“Didn’t you say that—what was her name, Purity?—hated magic?” asked Rarity.

“They probably don’t think of defensive measures as actual enchantments,” said Morgan. “Besides, Purity can’t be completely abstinent from magic. She wouldn’t have lived so long otherwise.”

“Some sort of magical hypocrite,” muttered Rob. “Nice.”

“I’m going to call up some old friends,” said Bear, getting up from the table. “We could use the help.”

Rob’s eyes widened as he saw who she meant. “Really? That seems like a bit of overkill.”

“Who?” asked Rarity.

“Loowitlatkla, the fire goddess of Mount St. Helens,” supplied Bear.

“That’s the kind of overkill I can live with,” said Morgan.

Rarity decided that she would much rather have the native spirit of a volcano on her side than not. There was something she needed clarification on, however. “You’re just going to call her? They get telephone reception in the realm of the gods?”

“By ‘call up’ I meant ‘summon.’ We need to visit the mountain tomorrow.” Bear rolled her eyes. “Provided that nothing else happens before then.”

Magical studies had never been Rarity’s cup of tea. She was aware that darker, more complicated spells were out there. Summoning powerful entities was rumored, but nopony really talked about it. Twilight might know about the subject, but Rarity was sure her friend would never do something that skirted the border of decency and common sense.

The Princesses were close enough to gods that most ponies didn’t aspire for something more. On Earth, perhaps that view was different. Rarity did not know how the deities between her planet and this one compared, but suspected that she would return home at the end of the month with more questions than answers.

Bear recruited Jenny and Rob to help her plan the summoning. Morgan and Veronica began setting up a security system around the cabin that combined science and magic to hopefully detect anything approaching and be hard to foil.

The security system was complex and multilayered. It incorporated magic detectors, cameras, heat sensors, and other gadgets Rarity had no clue about. The various subsystems were integrated in such a way to be redundant and fail-safe.

For example, the magic detectors would not respond if there was a strong anti-magic presence in the area, so enchanted objects that the detectors would be constantly monitoring were placed. If something blanked out the signal, then there was anti-magic in the area. At least that’s how Rarity understood it. She just wanted to go back to making clothes.

That didn’t come to pass, however. With all the preparations and other activities going on, Rarity was the only one without an assigned task. Therefore, she was picked for first watch that night.

The concept of watch made sense. Even with the security system and sleeping light, nothing would replace an awake guard. The rotation was set up in four-hour shifts.

Rarity sat downstairs, weapons strapped on and bored out of her mind. The first hour or so hadn’t been bad. She’d gotten to watch the sun set and heard the subtle sounds of night creatures beginning to stir.

She wanted to sleep. In fact, Rarity had come within a hair of complaining about missing her beauty rest, but realized that it wouldn’t go over well. Not only didn’t the people care, survival was much more important. Rarity herself was learning that. And so she sat with nothing to do, not even clothing to work on. Observing everything that happened on the security system and around the cabin took top priority.

Rarity did allow herself a moment of self-reflection, however. Coming to Earth had been random chance. She could have picked any card that was offered, but had gotten the one corresponding to the Sol planetary system. She wondered how her friends would react to being in this situation. Truthfully, she was almost glad that it was her taking on this assignment if it kept them from having to experience it.

She sighed. Sometimes being the Element of Generosity gets me in over my head.

Shifting the rifle that lay across her knees, Rarity settled in to wait out the rest of her watch.


“Give me the short version,” said Purity, speaking into the telephone.

“The unicorn shot me in the upper leg and the rest escaped,” said Mr. Wright. “I got into my automobile and followed them, but they attacked with a grenade. I received a head trauma in the wreck. I’m very sorry, madam.”

Purity took a moment to reply as she finished making a few notes. Fighting six-on-one was never good, even with secret weapons. It would be difficult to justify punishing Mr. Wright for losing track of the unicorn and the government team even if she were an especially vengeful leader. Purity believed herself to be benevolent, even if her dedicated cause often involved the murder of magic users.

She glanced across the page she had been writing on. It was full of scribbles that looked nothing like human text. It was her old language, a system that was in use by only her organization. She finished the notes and picked up a rubber stamp to mark the page with her personal seal before filing it away. The design bore a passing resemblance to an equid hoof.

“I’m glad that you’re still alive,” she said to the telephone.

“Thanks to the defensive measures we developed,” replied Wright. “They worked perfectly. Pity we have no experience with unicorns or ways to counter them.”

That had been an oversight on Purity’s part. She never expected to encounter such a thing on Earth. After so many years of being the only transplant from another world, it was a huge revelation.

“Keep me updated,” ordered Purity. “As soon as you’re able to.”

“It won’t take long,” said Wright modestly. “I would work through any pain for you, madam.”

His loyalty was inspiring. “Thank you. We have a very important task to accomplish.”