• Published 30th Dec 2012
  • 4,494 Views, 396 Comments

Combat Magic - totallynotabrony



What does Rarity have in common with a werewolf, a vampire, a tall computer specialist, a psychic reformed redneck, and a foul-mouthed wizard? Well, at the moment they're all human. And saving the world.

  • ...
13
 396
 4,494

Chapter 7

Rarity focused on her sewing. A frown adorned her face as she tried to keep her mind on task. A few words kept echoing through her head. You may have been a pony, but right now you’re a goddamned predator. Act like it.

How could she be a destructive beast, one that ate animals for sustenance and talked about death as if it were casual conversation? The thought of her transforming into such a thing was terrifying.

“Do I really want to continue this program?” Rarity said to herself, trying to concentrate on her work. “There’s so much more danger here than Equestria. Shall I even last a month?”

Four innocen- Rarity shut her eyes in frustration. The memories of the attacks kept haunting her. As a pony, nothing had affected her this deeply. Even the worst villains of Equestria had not shown much interest in murder. She had never experienced anything so traumatic as what had happened in her first few days on Earth.

Was it true that pony magic should have gone unnoticed? Even if it was, then why was she attacked? Rarity faced the unfortunate conclusion that someone was looking for her; hunting her. Even being stalked by a giant manticore in the Everfree Forest was less frightening than this. Something was after her. Something that could think and reason.

Ponies were capable of hate, but they were not naturally violent and didn’t take their anger out physically on other ponies. People were different. Sure, there were plenty of good ones. Most of the population would never dream of killing another. It was just a few that twisted the whole situation into a nightmare where she was being hunted.

Rarity was prey.

That realization was horrifying and difficult to take. Gritting her teeth, she tried to pull herself back into her sewing. She tried not to let the situation bother her so much, but not even clothes helped.

The suitcase she had been given for her garments was made of leather—processed animal hide. It did not look like such, and before being told what the material was, Rarity had rather liked the look and the distinctive aroma.

She shook her head. Would leather have smelled pleasant to a pony senses? It certainly did to her human nose. It seemed like she was trying to fight her body about everything.

There was no other luggage available for her on short notice. Rarity did not want to touch the suitcase any more than necessary, but she realized by looking at the surface that the borrowed boots that had protected her feet were also made of leather. It was a tough yet flexible material, very practical for certain applications. That sounded very human, putting function over feelings. She sighed. Am I even myself anymore?


“Wake up, we’re almost there.”

Rarity started in her seat, surprised to have slept. She’d been dreaming about the previous night, after dinner where Morgan had made his predator comment.

Jenny moved away after waking Rarity. The others were sprawled out around the inside of the aircraft. Despite the noise of the engines, most of them were asleep. Rarity was surprised and pleased to have slept as well, although not terribly happy about her dreams.

She sighed. Even in Equestria where there were more dangerous creatures, none of them actively stalked ponies. A long-ago lesson from grade school came to Rarity. In the cycle of life, ponies were at the top of the food chain. They ate plants, which grew from nutrients in the soil and energy from the sun. Here on Earth, even if she wasn’t about to be eaten, there was still someone who wanted her dead. The food chain was the worst possible place to be at the bottom looking up. Worst of all, there was nothing she could do about it. Sure, magic helped, but that couldn’t undo murder.

The plane jolted suddenly and Rarity jumped in surprise. The engines changed pitch and she felt deceleration. It seemed that they had landed. A few minutes passed as the aircraft maneuvered into a parking position. Bear gestured to the nearby vehicle that was strapped securely to the floor of the cargo hold. It was larger than most cars and had more seats.

“It’s a full-size SUV,” said Rob, grinning. “The American way.”

“I thought we were supposed to keep you away from big trucks,” said Jenny. “The last time that happened, you were back to country music before too long.”

“Oh yeah.” Rob’s face fell. “I’ll be careful, I promise.”

The rear door of the airplane began to open as Bear finished unstrapping the vehicle. The six of them got in and drove down the ramp onto the pavement.

The airport—Portland International, Veronica said—looked much the same as the one they had left. Most of the airplanes were larger and more colorful, however. That apparently was the difference between military and civilian aviation.

Rarity hadn’t taken the opportunity to look around much at the airport they had departed from. Being shot at and soaked with blood had made her less of a sightseer. She studiously ignored her crusty clothing as she took in the sights of the large city around them. A light rain was falling, making everything artificially grey and placid.

Portland, Oregon was apparently not even close to being the largest city in the United States, but it seemed large enough to Rarity. They drove on, crossing a river called the Columbia into a different state, Washington.

“Wait a moment, wasn’t Washington the place where the other airport was?” asked Rarity.

“Washington the city. This is Washington the state,” explained Jenny.

“At least it’s not so confusing,” said Morgan. “They’re on the opposite sides of the fucking country.”

“Unlike Vancouver, which is the name of two different cities close to each other,” added Bear. “One is right here by Portland. The other is only about three hundred miles away in Canada.”

Rarity frowned. Vanhoover was a place she was familiar with in Equestria. The similarities between the two worlds only served to highlight the extreme differences. That thought almost succeeded in pulling her into another roller coaster of emotions. Seeing Rob looking at her, Rarity quickly tried to get herself under control. She didn’t need another lecture, or worse, pity.

They continued driving. Minutes passed, and the city began to fade into smaller buildings and houses, giving way to trees and narrower roads. In the distance was a lone mountain with a misshapen peak, thrust into the sky all by itself and shrouded in rainclouds. The vehicle was headed in that direction.

Traveling inside personal conveyances seemed convenient for going places, but unlike a train getting up to take a stroll wasn’t practical. Rarity spotted a few large vehicles moving on rails. They looked nothing like trains in Equestria.

The weather didn’t change, staying rather grey as the road continued to become more primitive until it was just a dirt path winding through the woods. It ended at a large house, which resembled an oversized log cabin. The structure was made of varnished logs, with a green metal roof. Despite its rustic appearance, it looked like fairly new construction. Rarity thought it was rather quaint and charming, and much better than being buried in an underground bunker.

“It’s terrible,” muttered Bear. “Isolated, huge windows, and thick forest to mask assailants.”

Rarity sighed. Maybe she was right. The point of coming here was for protection, after all. They all got out and carried their possessions inside. The upper room Rarity was given had already been outfitted with furniture. From her window, she could see the distant mountain and a view of a lake hidden among the trees behind the house.

Going back downstairs, she found Veronica picking through some supplies that had been waiting for them. It looked like canned food and a few other odds and ends of non-edibles, which for some reason included a bolt of camouflage cloth.

“We could have stopped somewhere for lunch, but I think everyone just wanted to get here and set up,” Veronica grumbled. “I’m really hungry.”

She sorted through the cans. Rarity recognized the vegetables, but not something called “Chicken of the Sea.” She decided that she didn’t want to know.

Rarity looked at the cloth. It was not the pattern she really desired, but anything would be better than the still-bloody clothing she was wearing. She selected a can of mixed fruit from the assortment. It wasn’t much of a lunch, but Rarity wanted to be finished eating and in front of her sewing machine as quickly as possible.

After quickly downing the contents of the can, she carried the bolt of cloth upstairs. Within a few minutes she had developed a design and began working. This outfit would be unfortunately utilitarian, but if she was going to need sturdy clothing then she might as well plan for it. The human methods of doubling up wear points and installing pleats in flexible zones seemed sound enough. That didn’t mean she couldn’t put her own variation on it for practicality.

Rarity realized that she was going to have to incorporate boots into the outfit. She couldn’t simply wrap her feet in cloth. What if wearing a dead creature’s skin was truly the best way to protect herself? What was the tradeoff between function and feelings?

She sighed. Statistics were not her strong suit. That was more of Twilight’s thing. Her friend would probably look at the data and rank numbers over emotional impact. Rainbow and Applejack would also probably go that way, wanting results over sentiments. Pinkie and Fluttershy would be less likely to be accept leather.

On the other side of that, Rarity knew what all her current associates would undoubtedly choose. However, was that different because they were all in danger more often? Now that Rarity was in that same situation, should she let that affect her opinion?

The obvious choice was yes. As much as she hated to do it, her own safety had to come before her choice in footwear. In fact, looking at it like that, why had the decision been so difficult in the first place?

Rarity continued to work. She knew some spells to enhance clothing. A few to help the stitches stay tight and the fabric to be more resistant to rips. There was another enchantment she decided to perform in order to make the cloth less absorbent. The possibility of being covered in blood hadn’t occurred to Rarity before that morning, but she was going to make sure it never happened again.

It could also keep me dry in the rain, she mused. Funny how that purpose seemed to come second.

Rarity did not know any really powerful protection spells, if those even existed for clothing. Surely with all the death and destruction humans caused to each other they had something for defense. Those thoughts continued as Rarity finally removed her soiled clothing and had a pleasant shower in the room next door.

The advantage of an upright body was less floorspace needed. All Rarity had to do in order for the warm water to reach every part of her was turn slowly under the shower head instead of alternately rinsing front and rump.

Back in her room, she tried on the new outfit. It fit perfectly, just as she had designed. There was still something she wanted to add, however. Rarity headed downstairs, encountering Bear. The woman looked impressed. “Did you make that in the time since we got here? It looks good.”

“Thank you. Speaking of apparel, there’s something I was meaning to ask you about.”

“What’s that?” Bear said.

Rarity cleared her throat. “Armor.”

Author's Note:

In the creation of this chapter, Northwest Brony wrote a 8000-word information paper, documented several senic vistas, researched overhead imagery, and may or may not have fallen under scrutiny of Air Force security.

He likes details and is not afraid to go get them, is what I'm saying. With all that raw data, this story should get way more cool.