• Published 30th Dec 2012
  • 4,492 Views, 396 Comments

Combat Magic - totallynotabrony



What does Rarity have in common with a werewolf, a vampire, a tall computer specialist, a psychic reformed redneck, and a foul-mouthed wizard? Well, at the moment they're all human. And saving the world.

  • ...
13
 396
 4,492

Chapter 20

Rarity sat listlessly in front of the computer trying to think of an assassination plan aimed at Purity, but mostly she was just watching old Mickey Mouse cartoons. While the mild slapstick and jokes were not exactly as high-class as she would prefer, it was better than most of the more modern media.

She still had not investigated Disney, but heard they had some kind of parks for amusement. Rarity could use some of that right now.

The only idea she had managed to come up with in regards to Purity was somehow deactivating the magic that granted her immortality. There were a lot of problems with that plan, particularly the unknown spells, but also getting close enough to do it. In addition, Rarity was no magical scholar, and even someone like Morgan might not know anything about breaking pony magic.

Rarity frowned. And that’s if her henchman was telling the truth and we really are dealing with Chancellor Puddinghead. She knew that earth ponies usually had an edge in lifespan. Granny Smith’s ancientness, for example. Still, several thousand years would be out of the question for a normal pony in Equestria. Did it perhaps have something to do with being on Earth? Was Purity, as the only pony on the planet to exploit the natural magic, possibly able to sustain herself that way?

Honestly, it was beginning to look like Rob’s suggestion to kill it with fire would be easier. If that worked. Maybe Loowit could be helpful in that regard.

Rarity frowned. While she wasn’t about to use her magic and give away the position of the cabin, she wasn’t sure if the magical suppressant had worn off. While it had mostly been sprayed as a liquid from the crop duster, some of it seemed to have either vaporized and been breathed in, or merely absorbed through the skin. Rob’s abilities seemed to be slowly returning, but Rarity had no idea if she would be completely back to normal if she needed magic. Suddenly, the firearms training was looking like a smart decision. She would have to visit the safety of Loowit’s mountain soon to test her magic.

There was a knock on the door. Rarity looked up. “Yes?”

Veronica came in, stooping slightly to get her head under the doorframe. “We were going to do some scouting from the air to set up better contingency plans. Do you want to come along?”

“Don’t you have the—what were they called—satellite pictures?” asked Rarity.

“True, but nothing beats actually getting your eyes on the terrain.”

Rarity decided that she would indeed like to know more about the area. Any advantage she could get would be welcome.

She had already gotten into the SUV with Veronica, Bear, and Jenny before thinking to ask exactly how they would be taking a look at things from the air.

“Helicopter,” said Bear, as they drove away.

Rarity made a face, remembering their unpleasant departure from Raven Rock. “I certainly hope it’s a nicer one than the last.”

“Nicer, probably. Smaller, definitely. Better armed, absolutely.”

That was somewhat reassuring.

At the airport, a helicopter was standing by. Rarity observed a few people she assumed to be government security standing around. The helicopter turned out to be very small indeed, with two seats up front and a small cargo area in the rear. Veronica carried two cameras aboard, while Jenny lugged a large weapon that Rarity guessed was a heavy machine gun. It was certainly larger than a rifle.

With the rear doors closed to conceal the weapon and the cameras, Rarity wondered how she was to get in. Bear gestured her to the front, which seemed to be made mostly of plexiglass. Rarity settled into the seat, noting with alarm that the windows even extended in front of her feet, giving a disconcerting feeling of being in midair when the helicopter was still on the ground.

Bear sat beside her, flipping switches and beginning to start the engine. She seemed confident, but Rarity asked, “Are you qualified?”

“Sure. This is a basic JetRanger. I’ve been flying these since Vietnam, when I was still in the Army. They’re a lot easier to handle than something like a heavy-lift CH-53 Super Stallion.”

The designation meant nothing to Rarity, aside from sounding like a comic book Spike would read. She held on tightly to the seatbelts as the aircraft lifted off and dipped its nose forward to increase speed and leave the airport.

Veronica had some sort of video camera set up, but also a handheld photo camera with a large lens. Jenny kept watch, although she looked grim, muttering something about missiles.

“What’s that?” asked Rarity, her voice transmitted clearly though the headsets they all wore.

“Oh, just being mindful of the fact that there could be a portable heat-seeking missile launcher hidden out there in the forest somewhere. Worst case scenario planning, and all that.”

“What do we do if there is one?” asked Rarity.

“Then we’ll do our best to crash in a soft spot,” answered Bear. She looked forward out the windshield. “There’s the cabin. We can’t spend too long in this area or someone will wonder why we’re hanging around. Instead, we’ll make a circular route to keep moving.”

As she had no task assigned and nothing to do to keep her mind off the terror of being shot down, Rarity leaned back in the seat and attempted to enjoy the scenery. Mount St. Helens was even more picturesque from altitude, and the forest spread out around it like a large green carpet.

“Here, you should learn to fly,” said Bear, interrupting her reverie.

“Pardon?” asked Rarity.

“Take the controls.” Bear gestured to the various pieces of equipment on Rarity’s side of the cockpit. “Don’t worry, I’m not going anywhere.”

Rarity glanced nervously at the ground far below. I certainly hope not. She carefully touched the stick in front of her, the pedals beneath her feet, and the lever beside the seat. Bear gave her a quick rundown on flying. “For now, though, just try to go in a straight line.”

It was much more difficult than driving. Not only did Rarity have to learn how to steer with her feet, but more or less power affected not only speed but altitude. In addition, tipping the aircraft too far on its side could result in a crash. She was thankful after only a few minutes Bear took the controls back to land at the airport.

“We got a lot of good data,” reported Veronica as the four of them carried their gear back to the SUV. “We can start on the next phase of the plan now.”

“What plan?” asked Rarity.

“The plan we’re telling you about now,” said Bear.

Author's Note:

Chapter 20, yay. I project that this story will last 4-5 more chapters.